Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Was the CONHome members’ survey the driver of the re-shuffle? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

Not as different as some would like you to believe:

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

https://ourscottishfuture.org/poll-shows-uk-wide-shared-priorities-and-values/

Unionists see what they want to see. Again. Yawn.
    Nationalists can't face the facts. Again. Yawn.
    England and Scotland are identical.

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Boris Johnson net approval
    Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Duh. Someone who can't tell the difference between voting intentions and attitudes - which Nationalists keep insisting are different when they are in fact virtually identical....if anything, England a little more tolerant.....
    Yeah, that’s right, English and Scottish attitudes are identical.

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_property_20210721.html

Given Scotland is such a welcoming, open and liberal country, why do very many more immigrants choose to live in England? It's a puzzle!
    Yes Jim, we feel the love.

I know you want it to be a meme, a bit like Private Eye and 'that' photo of Andrew Neil, but I genuinely have no idea who this is or the point you are making.
    That he has an unhealthy obsession with Scottish Labour leaders? This, and the avatar...
    Is that not him?

I don't understand posters who use anything other than a neutral, passport-style photograph of themselves.

Edit to fcuk up the photo urls.
    My avatar is the fictional character was chosen to convey an idea of my political angle (more a distillation of my politics than truly representative, though he is in fact a rounded and nuanced character), which I thought more helpful than a picture of an unremarkable looking middle aged man you've never met. Though to people who have never seen Parks and Recreation it is of no use at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Swanson

I had no idea Stuart's picture wasn't of him. Who is it?
    Richard Leonard, MSP
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Selebian said:

Have to say I usually think a lot of @TOPPING's posts but I'm very disappointed in the way they're talking about women now. I would not be at all happy if it were my daughter being spoken about in the way, as I am sure they would agree if it were theirs.

Can we just leave this kind of language at the door and just try and be a bit more respectful. This kind of language adds nothing to the debate and turns us into other sites which I purposefully come here to avoid.

If it continues, I will consider posting elsewhere.

Edit:

And the same goes for @isam too.

It's not so much the language as the lack of content (it would get very dull here if every other post was "wow, X is hot").

There's a legitimate point that Begum has changed her appearance/style to be (or at least, having the effect of being) much more sympathetic to a UK press. Prettier if you like, but also - more importantly - looking more 'Western' by which I mean having an appearance that would not be acceptable to ISIS. I'd not really have a problem with "she's made herself look hot to appeal to the UK press a lot more" although it's not the language I'd use.

For Leon's point the other day about Raducanu doing well off-court with the press partly due to looks, it's a legitimate point. The thing that made me cringe there was finding out that he has an acronym for (apparently) hot teenage girl.
    As this is pedanticbetting.com, I feel duty-bound to point out that it is an initialism, not an acronym.
  • Options
    "The working assumption inside Number 10 is that Boris Johnson will go to the country in May or June 2024. However, The Telegraph understands he is also eyeing up a year earlier – May or June 2023."

Telegraph
  • Options
    F1: Vettel confirmed for 2022 at Aston Martin.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

The Big Broon One. The gift that keeps on giving.

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
    Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
    Even he must flinch at his own ridiculousness. Just oozes insincerity.
    What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
    The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
    That is a very low bar and Brown is an absolute sellout traitor, a cretin and one of the worst arseholes to come out of Scotland in many many years.
    ... and, more importantly, a monumentally incompetent Chancellor and Prime Minister, many of whose screwups we're still dealing with.
    Yet still less incompetent than Cameron, May and Johnson. Must smart.
    This vitriol directed at Brown by our friendly neighbourhood ScotNats is noteworthy. I hold no brief for him at all but suspect that he is held in a reasonably high regard by many Scots. As is the Labour Party. There is simply not the visceral dislike for the party that there is for the Tories . Ultimately, however far off it may be, the revival of Scottish Labour remains an existential threat to Indy. Their time may come...
    Yeah, Scottish Labour are really, really popular. We’re filling our breeks.

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

3–8 Sep 2021 Opinium/Sky News
    I'm reminded of this sort of stuff in 2014

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/gordon-brown-backs-federalism-event-no-vote-1528957
    Exactly the clown did nothing for Scotland as per Labour party. They were only interested in filling their own pockets and wrestling for seats in HOL. Bunch of wasters that got what they deserved.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

I'm down wif da youth...

Do you refer to the coming weekend as ‘this weekend’ or ‘next weekend’? The nation is divided, and age is key

All Britons: 'this' 40% / 'next' 56%

18-29 year olds: 61% / 31%
    30-39: 51% / 41%
    40-49: 47% / 52%
    50-59: 27% / 71%
    60+: 25% / 70%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1438454306932510724?s=20

But then again today is Thursday and the question was asked Monday/Tuesday.....

How long until someone proposes using this as the next wedge in the culture war?

Will it have happened by this weekend?
    The oldies are wrong, It's definitely this weekend.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
    Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
    What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
    The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
    That is a very low bar and Brown is an absolute sellout traitor, a cretin and one of the worst arseholes to come out of Scotland in many many years.
    ... and, more importantly, a monumentally incompetent Chancellor and Prime Minister, many of whose screwups we're still dealing with.
    This vitriol directed at Brown by our friendly neighbourhood ScotNats is noteworthy. I hold no brief for him at all but suspect that he is held in a reasonably high regard by many Scots. As is the Labour Party. There is simply not the visceral dislike for the party that there is for the Tories . Ultimately, however far off it may be, the revival of Scottish Labour remains an existential threat to Indy. Their time may come...

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/gordon-brown-backs-federalism-event-no-vote-1528957
    Exactly the clown did nothing for Scotland as per Labour party. They were only interested in filling their own pockets and wrestling for seats in HOL. Bunch of wasters that got what they deserved.
    So a bit like the SNP leadership then?

Minus the HOL element.
  • Options
    What a shame that bloke wasn't held up by the eco-marxists on the M25 ...
  • Options
    Intend? 2025?. What the fiddle have they been doing?

Lord Frost says the UK will have fewer 'physical checks' on imports than the EU when full border/customs controls are finally introduced. 'We don't have to replicate everything the EU does. We intend to have a world class border by 2025 with proportionate checks based on risk.'

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1438461277412724744?s=20
  • Options
    Unless South Africa is on everyone else's red list why not just head to another country on the UK's green or amber list for 10 days in the mean time ?
  • Options
    Almost 90% of all 16-24 year olds now have Covid antibodies, ONS.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Duh. Someone who can't tell the difference between voting intentions and attitudes - which Nationalists keep insisting are different when they are in fact virtually identical....if anything, England a little more tolerant.....

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

Country with population density of 65/sqkm has fewer NIMBYs than country with 434- whodathunk it?

I hadn't heard the SNP advance "less NIMBYism" as one of Scotland's alleged moral superiorities before - one to add to the list!

Given Scotland is such a welcoming, open and liberal country, why do very many more immigrants choose to live in England? It's a puzzle!
    It's not just immigrants, it's also Brits. Lots of people want to live further south. Now, why?
    Work. Principally the massive pull from the economic success of London.

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Country with population density of 65/sqkm has fewer NIMBYs than country with 434- whodathunk it?

I hadn't heard the SNP advance "less NIMBYism" as one of Scotland's alleged moral superiorities before - one to add to the list!

It's not just immigrants, it's also Brits. Lots of people want to live further south. Now, why?
    Work. Principally the massive pull from the economic success of London.
    There is also - loath though I am to admit it - the weather.

Now I very much like Manchester. There is a lot to recommend living here. It's a much more pleasant place to live than London; less hemmed in, more affordable, and we have far better countryside within 90 minutes than London does. Life here is good. But even the most patriotic of Mancunians would swap our weather for London's. Hell, I would swap our weather for Sheffield's.
    FAR better is a stretch.

The Peaks are sensational but Suffolk, Norfolk, Chilterns, South Downs, New Forest and eastern Cotswolds within 90 minutes of London.

People up north (thankfully) massively underrate the countryside down south, keeps the crowds away.
    Oh, the countryside down south is very pleasant, I'll grant you. All the places you list are nice. The idea of a day's cycling through any of them appeals greatly - stopping at some nice little pubs on the way and sampling some of that weirdly unheaded beer you enjoy*. But within 90 minutes of Manchester we have the Peak District (dark peak and white peak), the South Pennines, the western Yorkshire Dales, the West Pennines and Forest of Bowland, the Vale of Lune, the Clwydian Hills and, the jewel in the crown, the Southern Lakes.

I once had a splendid few days in the New Forest (engineered around finding a reason for a visit to Peppa Pig World at Paulton's Park outside Southampton when my daughters were smaller). But the reason we don't habitually tend to visit the countryside down south is that we have so much bigger, more spectacular, better preserved countryside in the north - we would be having to travel further for smaller.

The countryside is the north's unarguable USP** against the south east, and I'm not compromising at any less than 'far' better.

*For the avoidance of doubt, I am joshing here: southern beer is splendid; sampling it in its native environment doubly so. The main drawback of it as far as I can see is an increased tendency for it to slop over the side of the glass when you are carrying three full pints back from the bar.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Unless South Africa is on everyone else's red list why not just head to another country on the UK's green or amber list for 10 days in the mean time ?
    Because you don't get to sit on twitter moaning.

I do hope Boris when he meets Biden next week pushes him on opening up US air corridor.
  • Options

I'm down wif da youth...

Do you refer to the coming weekend as ‘this weekend’ or ‘next weekend’? The nation is divided, and age is key

All Britons: 'this' 40% / 'next' 56%

18-29 year olds: 61% / 31%
    30-39: 51% / 41%
    40-49: 47% / 52%
    50-59: 27% / 71%
    60+: 25% / 70%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1438454306932510724?s=20

But then again today is Thursday and the question was asked Monday/Tuesday.....

This could be worse than the debate on the dates for the start of the seasons...
    I also think it's very susceptible to when it's being asked.

If on Monday I agreed to meet someone on Saturday it would be "Next" weekend.

If I made the same arrangement on Friday it would be "this" weekend.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said the mandatory vaccination policy was “very unfair” and that about 2,000 of the region’s care home workers faced losing their jobs overnight unless they received their first jab within hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/16/england-care-homes-may-be-forced-to-close-as-covid-jab-deadline-looms

King of the North is totally wrong side of the argument on this. It really isn't unfair at all. All adults have now had months to organize getting jabbed, and you have a duty of care to the people you look after.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Yes Jim, we feel the love.

I know you want it to be a meme, a bit like Private Eye and 'that' photo of Andrew Neil, but I genuinely have no idea who this is or the point you are making.
    That he has an unhealthy obsession with Scottish Labour leaders? This, and the avatar...
    Is that not him?

I don't understand posters who use anything other than a neutral, passport-style photograph of themselves.

Edit to fcuk up the photo urls.
    My avatar is the fictional character was chosen to convey an idea of my political angle (more a distillation of my politics than truly representative, though he is in fact a rounded and nuanced character), which I thought more helpful than a picture of an unremarkable looking middle aged man you've never met. Though to people who have never seen Parks and Recreation it is of no use at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Swanson

I had no idea Stuart's picture wasn't of him. Who is it?
    Again, I assumed yours was you.
    Sorry.
    I wish I had that much hair, or could grow that large a moustache.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Why don't those attitudes translate into votes? It's been a long time since Scotland voted Conservative but England usually does. Same with Wales, been Labour as long as I can remember.
    There's a really odd divide growing between unionists and nationalists in that unionists seem quite keen on emphasising polls over votes. I believe that attitude is a mistake.
    The clues in the names - "Unionists" prefer cooperation, "Nationalists" division - by pretending there are differences in attitudes where none exist...
    You dodged my question, which I regret. Really, I'm interested in hearing why social attitude surveys are basically worthless in predicting bulk voting behaviour. I think it's an interesting question.
    Carlotta is only interested in bashing Scotland, it is her life.
    As ever you conflate "the Scottish Government" with "Scotland"

Like for example - this:

An investigation is underway after a frail pensioner found collapsed at his home in Glasgow died following a 40 hour wait for an ambulance.

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1438438761193345027?s=20
  • Options

Lord Frost says the UK will have fewer 'physical checks' on imports than the EU when full border/customs controls are finally introduced. 'We don't have to replicate everything the EU does. We intend to have a world class border by 2025 with proportionate checks based on risk.'

Prioritising stuff that matters not ridiculous checks for checks sake like the EU does.
  • Options

Have to say I usually think a lot of @TOPPING's posts but I'm very disappointed in the way they're talking about women now. I would not be at all happy if it were my daughter being spoken about in the way, as I am sure they would agree if it were theirs.

Can we just leave this kind of language at the door and just try and be a bit more respectful. This kind of language adds nothing to the debate and turns us into other sites which I purposefully come here to avoid.

Edit:

FFS, take your pompous priggishness to Mumsnet and talk about knitting. People are not here to post things you like and given the shite you post most of the time it beggars belief. If you don't like the heat in the kitchen you know what to do. Don't hit your arse on the way out.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting that the French fulmination over the subs deal makes no mention of the UK. Is that 1) a snub because they don’t want to credit us with anything on the global stage or 2) a recognition that in Europe the UK is the only other serious military power in town and that’s a bridge not worth burning?

I know we build our own submarines, but have we made any sales to other countries? France's defence industry exists because countries want Western technology, but don't want to be dependent on the US.
    When we got rid of the Upholder (*) class (as DuraAce mentions above), we went all-nuclear on our boats. Most countries cannot be bothered with nukes, and want diesel-electric instead. We couldn't offer them that. The French could not either; but offered to redesign their latest nuke attack sub to be diesel powered.

The Spanish S-80 class is probably not in the running due to the (ahem) interesting problems they've had with it. Like making it the first submarine that could sink but not surface again. So they lengthened it to add buoyancy, which added a whole host of other issues ...

It's interesting that Oz never really considered the UK for their Collins replacements because of their nuke power - despite their requirements being perfect for nuclear power, given the area they have to patrol.

(*) For train fans, these use the Paxman Valenta engines that originally powered the HST.
    Valentine tanks surely win the prize for the first submersibles that can’t surface?
    That's a bit unfair - Valentine DDs worked fairly well most of the time. Much better track record than many early submarines.

I thought the old joke was that any ship gets to play submarine. Once.

The Valentine DDs were a valuable experiment/test bed/training tool for the Sherman conversions.
    They were indeed. There's a very nice local history book about the training area in IIRC East Anglia - CHariots of the Lake. And some of the sinkings there would have been operator inexperience.

I also came across this recently -

http://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/34940/1/The Maritime Archaeology of Duplex Drive Tanks.pdf

But the DD tanks were effectively disposable anyway - the Valentines for training and the Shermans for the single assault (although also used later elsewhere). Proper maritine submarines aren't suposed to be so disposable - no wonder the Canadians were so cheesed off with the Upholders.
    There's a DD Sherman tank at Slapton Sands in Devon, recovered from the seabed by an interesting character.
    https://www.submerged.co.uk/slapton/

On a similar note; a few years ago I heard a podcast about the Lake Michigan planes. During WW2, the US had a lack of aircraft carriers on which to train pilots - they wanted the carriers in service, not training. So they converted two ships on Lake Michigan into aircraft carriers for training purposes. As it was training, lots of planes were lost - including one flown by Bush Senior.

Many have since been recovered:
    https://www.michiganradio.org/post/why-did-more-100-wwii-era-aircraft-sink-bottom-lake-michigan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_and_T_Recovery
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited September 2021
    Hooray, the first sighting of a 'Raducanu will save the Union'! At least Gordo is only perving over her Britishness (I assume).

• Options
    I like this. I do not like the headline, which is a particular form a journalism which irritates me. Just tell me the thing, don't try to tell me how I should be feeling about the thing, at least not in the headline.
    So often an outlet's opening salvo is 'x faces criticism' or 'x faces backlash' or 'fury as y does z'. It's not wrong to report the reaction to the thing if the reaction to the thing is interesting, but if you are reporting the reaction to the thing before reporting the thing - which is almost always the case - it is not reporting but clickbaiting.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Hooray, the first sighting of a 'Raducanu will save the Union'! At least Gordo is only perving over her Britishness (I assume).

I hope she is taking no notice of all these social media attempts to politicize her achievement. I highly doubt she has given even the most passing thought of all of this nonsense that she is supposed to be representing this, that and the other.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

MattW said:

Morning all. Interesting events last night.

On streetlights, we have been on that one as a country for about 15 years, and now about 60% of streetlights are leds , which are not necessarily cheaper to run than sodium (orange) lights, but are more directed and last far longer.

If you want to know the lifecycle cost of a lamp post and light (minus energy I think), then build a housing estate. Part of your S106 agreement will be a sum for provision and maintenance them for 25 years. It is well into 4 figures per lighting pole.

The main benefit of LEDs is how long they last, which reduces maintenance a lot.

Cost of conversion is a couple of hundred per lamp post; annual savings are about £30. Quick but a far slower payback than converting your house lights; mine paid back in 18 months back in 2013.

A huge benefit of LEDs for self-managed landlords has been the reduction in phonecalls on Saturday afternoons "can you come and change a lightbulb?".

On dark skies, it looks like all the National Parks will end up with them, and perhaps AONBs. A mate in Fovant in Dorset, (jammy sod with a passive haus that pays for his Council Tax in FIT income) which is in one, says they just all carry torches after dark.

This is the current status. ~6o% replaced, ~30% reduction in power used (industry numbers though.). And control of floodlights is a common planning condition. The visual impression of the graphic is interestingly misleading due to the drawing.

https://ukrlg.ciht.org.uk/media/12711/transpro_january2021_ukrlg.pdf

I love that Sky darkness is measured on the "Bortle Scale", which makes me laugh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale

Don't believe the "UK is useless" types; this one is mainly just happening.

BiB: Is a landlord supposed to change lightbulbs? Seems a faff, that seems like routine maintenance. I've always just replaced my own bulbs - and the only time I've ever had a deposit charged about 11 years ago (very awkward landlord who I think was seeking to make money from it) included charging for replacement bulbs in a room where I'd reported the bulbs kept blowing so I'd stopped bothering to replace them as there must I think have been something wrong with the wiring there.
    No. But do you think that will stop the phone calls? There's a whole literature of tenant naivety anecdotes out there.

:smile:

The nice thing is that LEDs almost never die.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Edit:

FFS, take your pompous priggishness to Mumsnet and talk about knitting. People are not here to post things you like and given the shite you post most of the time it beggars belief. If you don't like the heat in the kitchen you know what to do. Don't hit your arse on the way out.
    A classic of the genre!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

I like this. I do not like the headline, which is a particular form a journalism which irritates me. Just tell me the thing, don't try to tell me how I should be feeling about the thing, at least not in the headline.
    So often an outlet's opening salvo is 'x faces criticism' or 'x faces backlash' or 'fury as y does z'. It's not wrong to report the reaction to the thing if the reaction to the thing is interesting, but if you are reporting the reaction to the thing before reporting the thing - which is almost always the case - it is not reporting but clickbaiting.
    The Guardian increasingly aping the Daily Mail, where every headline has to contain some sort of indication of outrage.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Scotland population density 65 per km squared, England population density 281 km squared.

Scotland has the space most of England doesn't for large amounts of new development.

However if Scotland wants to take most of the UK's future immigrants fine
    A reminder that the map is about attitudes towards development, not immigration.
    Carlotta and HYFUD have to get their anti Scottish digs in on any and every topic whether relevant or not. Both play jingobells constantly
  • Options

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said the mandatory vaccination policy was “very unfair” and that about 2,000 of the region’s care home workers faced losing their jobs overnight unless they received their first jab within hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/16/england-care-homes-may-be-forced-to-close-as-covid-jab-deadline-looms

King of the North is totally wrong side of the argument on this. It really isn't unfair at all. All adults have now had months to organize getting jabbed, and you have a duty of care to the people you look after.

Couldn't believe it when a "lead clinician" at a home or something was talked about on the radio this morning as being in the vaccine refusers group.
    A clinician refusing the vaccine ?!
  • Options

Entirely 100% agreed.

I have both family in care and family who work in care, and to be blunt anyone who is so self-centred that they can't be arsed or refuse to get vaccinated despite knowing that they work with those most vulnerable to the virus has absolutely no place whatsoever working in the care sector.

If anyone is so self-absorbed that they'd gladly pass on Covid to my Nanna instead of getting a jab in the arm, then they have no place looking after my or anyone else's Nanna or Grandad.

As it happens at the care home my relative works at the home set a deadline of the end of last week to get the first vaccine, all of the noisy antivaxxer, in order to then have time to get the second before the deadline for that. All the noisy antivaxxers, some of whom were sharing QAnon BS last November, were noisily saying they were refusing to get the vaccine and the home couldn't make them until they got letters saying they'd be dismissed if they weren't vaccinated by a particular date. Funnily enough last week they all brought in their vaccine cards apparently to show they'd been vaccinated, so nobody is getting sacked afterall.
  • Options

Prioritising stuff that matters
    Like "disadvantaging UK exporters vs the EU's"?

I agree a lot of the checks are probably redundant, but the EU have erected a significant NTB (entirely within their rights) while they get a free pass entering the UK.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Only 4 local by-elections today. The first three look like shoo-ins: Lab in Ealing and Sheffield, Con in Malvern Hills. The 4th is a toss-up. Middlesbrough Independent Group - in Middlesbrough no less.
  • Options

I hope she is taking no notice of all these social media attempts to politicize her achievement. I highly doubt she has given even the most passing thought of all of this nonsense that she is supposed to be representing this, that and the other.
    I'm sympathetic to Gordon Brown's unionism but this is just as irritating as those using her to push an anti-Brexit/open borders message.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

I do think reality is now dawning on the French of what Brexit really means for the standing of the EU (and by association France).

The UK brought a lot to the EU table and instead of accomodating the world's 5th largest economy, permanent UN security council member and major military power, the EU beancounters decided that losing the UK was a better choice than accomodating us. Now when key global decisions are being made the EU has got no presence, it's not in the room.

I have no love of the continual fracturing of the western alliance, however, it looks set to ramp up. I expect this new agreement will pull Japan, South Korea and India in as associate members fairly soon. I doubt any EU nation will be invited. Ultimately the US will want a very, very tightly closed circle on tech sharing. No single EU country can be trusted to keep the circle closed.

I understand the agreement is to be signed in the US next week with Boris travelling there and India and Japan invited to the ceremony

I really do not think our remainer colleagues have even started to understand what a devastating and profound blow this is, not just to France, but the EU itself

And the BBC may finally wake up to this and cover it
    I have no dog in the fight, but why do Leavers think that Look, Brexit fucked up the EU, is a banker of an argument?
    It's not an argument so much as it is the reality of "Brexit means Brexit" as the EU kept telling us over "cherry picking" and such. It was always going to cut both ways but loads of remainers and the EU in general had blinded themselves to the reality of downside risks to the EU of Brexit. Not being in the room was pointed out as a huge downside risk to them of leaving, they brushed it off and acted as though the same level of security cooperation would exist. I remember having discussions with people on here about it and the general remain/EU assumption was that the UK would continue to play a full part in the defence of the EU, it was very obviously not going to happen that way.

Now everyone needs to live within that new reality. The UK brought the EU with it when we were members, now we won't.
    I have no issue with that. EU membership for me was about the single market, common standards, freedom of movement, shared values. Defence cooperation was and is NATO, and now depending on how it develops AUKUS.

The French will be seething but these things happen. They will have to suck it up (but will no doubt also look for ways to get their own back).
    We cannot ignore France however, they are the strongest European military power alongside us within NATO in terms of containing Putin's Russia. They have also played a key role with us in Africa in taking on jihadis.

Yes we can share technologies and enable Australia to have nuclear submarines but at the end of the day it is regional powers in the Far East and Oceania ie not only Australia but Japan and South Korea and maybe India who need to take the lead on containing Xi's China under US leadership. We can provide support but we remain a power in Europe and the Atlantic mainly, since the end of the British Empire we are not a global superpower and since the Hong Kong handover there has been no danger of China threatening British territory directly
    Careful, you don't want to go on the record in a "HYUFD Unbellyfeel Brexit" way.

Yes, it's a deal, and stiffing the French is never to be sniffed at, but is it that big a deal? And had it happened in, say, 2011, would it have looked that different?
    In 2011 though of course it was Cameron and Sarkozy leading on taking action in Libya to stop a Gaddaffi bloodbath.

The fact is even post Brexit the EU is our largest trading destination for UK exports and France our closest military partner in maintaining security in Europe and Africa, yes we can be global Britain too but that does not mean forgetting our own backyard
    They did a grand job in Libya , really improved things big time.
    Absolutely they did. Gaddaffi is gone.
    You cretinous halfwit the country is wrecked , untold dead and it is back in medieval state. Only an absolute numpty like you could think that carnage is success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

I do think reality is now dawning on the French of what Brexit really means for the standing of the EU (and by association France).

The UK brought a lot to the EU table and instead of accomodating the world's 5th largest economy, permanent UN security council member and major military power, the EU beancounters decided that losing the UK was a better choice than accomodating us. Now when key global decisions are being made the EU has got no presence, it's not in the room.

I have no love of the continual fracturing of the western alliance, however, it looks set to ramp up. I expect this new agreement will pull Japan, South Korea and India in as associate members fairly soon. I doubt any EU nation will be invited. Ultimately the US will want a very, very tightly closed circle on tech sharing. No single EU country can be trusted to keep the circle closed.

I understand the agreement is to be signed in the US next week with Boris travelling there and India and Japan invited to the ceremony

I really do not think our remainer colleagues have even started to understand what a devastating and profound blow this is, not just to France, but the EU itself

I have no dog in the fight, but why do Leavers think that Look, Brexit fucked up the EU, is a banker of an argument?
    It's not an argument so much as it is the reality of "Brexit means Brexit" as the EU kept telling us over "cherry picking" and such. It was always going to cut both ways but loads of remainers and the EU in general had blinded themselves to the reality of downside risks to the EU of Brexit. Not being in the room was pointed out as a huge downside risk to them of leaving, they brushed it off and acted as though the same level of security cooperation would exist. I remember having discussions with people on here about it and the general remain/EU assumption was that the UK would continue to play a full part in the defence of the EU, it was very obviously not going to happen that way.

Now everyone needs to live within that new reality. The UK brought the EU with it when we were members, now we won't.
    I have no issue with that. EU membership for me was about the single market, common standards, freedom of movement, shared values. Defence cooperation was and is NATO, and now depending on how it develops AUKUS.

The French will be seething but these things happen. They will have to suck it up (but will no doubt also look for ways to get their own back).
    We cannot ignore France however, they are the strongest European military power alongside us within NATO in terms of containing Putin's Russia. They have also played a key role with us in Africa in taking on jihadis.

Yes we can share technologies and enable Australia to have nuclear submarines but at the end of the day it is regional powers in the Far East and Oceania ie not only Australia but Japan and South Korea and maybe India who need to take the lead on containing Xi's China under US leadership. We can provide support but we remain a power in Europe and the Atlantic mainly, since the end of the British Empire we are not a global superpower and since the Hong Kong handover there has been no danger of China threatening British territory directly
    Careful, you don't want to go on the record in a "HYUFD Unbellyfeel Brexit" way.

Yes, it's a deal, and stiffing the French is never to be sniffed at, but is it that big a deal? And had it happened in, say, 2011, would it have looked that different?
    In 2011 though of course it was Cameron and Sarkozy leading on taking action in Libya to stop a Gaddaffi bloodbath.

The fact is even post Brexit the EU is our largest trading destination for UK exports and France our closest military partner in maintaining security in Europe and Africa, yes we can be global Britain too but that does not mean forgetting our own backyard
    They stopped Gaddaffi massacring hundreds of thousands
    They did it for him
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Just listened to Boris's statement on AUUKUS. It seems obvious that we're just talking a weapons-procurement project here. The idea that this is going to replace NATO with a myriad of other nations queuing up to join seems utterly laughable.

I’m not convinced the rest of five eyes were kept out the loop, more likely asked and declined.

“Excuse me, we are going to play a geopolitical power game with China, similar to the successful one we played with Russia in Syria. Would you like a bigger Red Cross painted on your country?”

If this is the right announcement, then it is at least ten years too late.

It’s looking in the real light of this morning as a bit of a fig leaf, truth is It has been failure to combat China up to now, and continued failure going forward behind this fig leaf announcement. Soft power and economics is where the real fight is. The West isn’t even in the same pond.

How has Trump attacked this, has he posted anything yet?
    I was pondering this earlier. The Chinese model of projecting and gaining power globally seems to be investing in those countries they want to have influence in, building infrastructure, spunking great spumes of financial assistance, the nice touchy-feely stuff. (Though no doubt they can be right bastards if they want to.)

The Anglo-Saxon model has evolved over the centuries from invading and subjugating the countries we wish to control, to merely installing puppets and/or bombing them. Though AUKUS seems to hearken back to carrying a big dick and swinging it with vigour and menace.

I think the Chinese model probably works more effectively in the 21st century.
  • Options

Prioritising stuff that matters
    Like "disadvantaging UK exporters vs the EU's"?

I agree a lot of the checks are probably redundant, but the EU have erected a significant NTB (entirely within their rights) while they get a free pass entering the UK.

NTBs like tariffs ultimately hurt the country that does them more than the country they're imposed against.

If the checks are redundant then they absolutely should not be put in place. If the EU wishes to cut off its own nose in an attempt to spit our face then we should not do the same.

And if UK exporters are so disadvantaged, and EU exporters are so advantageous, then how come our trade deficit with the EU has narrowed? Shouldn't it have expanded?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

Seems to use pavements. Not sure how it would cope in London! Or how it deals with pedestrians who are visually impaired.
  • Options
    We all know the earth is flat right...

View from Dragon’s cupola
    https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1438359359898066944?s=20
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Entirely 100% agreed.

I have both family in care and family who work in care, and to be blunt anyone who is so self-centred that they can't be arsed or refuse to get vaccinated despite knowing that they work with those most vulnerable to the virus has absolutely no place whatsoever working in the care sector.

If anyone is so self-absorbed that they'd gladly pass on Covid to my Nanna instead of getting a jab in the arm, then they have no place looking after my or anyone else's Nanna or Grandad.

As it happens at the care home my relative works at the home set a deadline of the end of last week to get the first vaccine, all of the noisy antivaxxer, in order to then have time to get the second before the deadline for that. All the noisy antivaxxers, some of whom were sharing QAnon BS last November, were noisily saying they were refusing to get the vaccine and the home couldn't make them until they got letters saying they'd be dismissed if they weren't vaccinated by a particular date. Funnily enough last week they all brought in their vaccine cards apparently to show they'd been vaccinated, so nobody is getting sacked afterall.
    This is reminiscent of the right-wing antivaxxers on US TV v. right-wing antivaxxers on US Radio. The former have all got vaxxed and are just spouting bullshit to the detriment of others; the latter are clearly too stupid to realise that they are being played, and are the ones dying of covid.

The care workers turn out to be vaxxed, despite spouting antivaxx propaganda; I hope they haven't persuaded any vulnerable people under their care *not* to get vaxxed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

You cretinous halfwit the country is wrecked , untold dead and it is back in medieval state. Only an absolute numpty like you could think that carnage is success.
    It was like that before but with a murderous despot in charge. The problem is half the people in the Middle East seem to want in a medieval state because of their medieval religion.

Good riddance to him. Hopefully the Middle East can eventually go through an enlightenment and join us in the modern world.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    You don't think attitudes bleed into politics?
    In that case what is the reason for the politics of one part of the Union being driven for decades by anti immigration, anti EU rightwingers and it's population voting for that/them, and another part of the Union very much not voting for that/them? Are politics and political parties essentially irrelevant to the population at large?
    You think people vote SNP because they believe their guff about Scotland being morally superior with more enlightened attitudes than England and on the inevitable path to independence?

Or because they think they'll do a better job of screwing money out of Westminster for Scotland?
    Ah well, we're narrowing it down at least.
    Hard heided cynical Jocks vote for a party that's pro EU and immigration but only cos they'll screw the lovely English for more money.
    Lovely English vote for an anti EU and immigration party cos they *checks notes* prefer cooperation.

Got it.
    Carlotta has contracted HYFUD disease and gets more rabid by the day.
    Yepp. The trend had been noted.
    Did Gove have a sister I wonder.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Apols in advance

• Options

Cookie said:

Seems to use pavements. Not sure how it would cope in London! Or how it deals with pedestrians who are visually impaired.
    How does your automower deal with cats?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    In that case what is the reason for the politics of one part of the Union being driven for decades by anti immigration, anti EU rightwingers and it's population voting for that/them, and another part of the Union very much not voting for that/them? Are politics and political parties essentially irrelevant to the population at large?
    You think people vote SNP because they believe their guff about Scotland being morally superior with more enlightened attitudes than England and on the inevitable path to independence?

Or because they think they'll do a better job of screwing money out of Westminster for Scotland?
    Hard heided cynical Jocks vote for a party that's pro EU and immigration but only cos they'll screw the lovely English for more money.
    Lovely English vote for an anti EU and immigration party cos they *checks notes* prefer cooperation.

Got it.
    I don't think Carlotta is or claims to be female. Origin of name

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023948/characters/nm0237597
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Scotland population density 65 per km squared, England population density 281 km squared.

Scotland has the space most of England doesn't for large amounts of new development.

A reminder that the map is about attitudes towards development, not immigration.
    However the more you increase immigration, the more you need to build new houses for some them
    Sounds like a good job creation scheme.
    Also a recipe for the destruction of the greenbelt around London and Home Counties countryside if we take in more immigrants than we need based on skills shortages, with all the new houses needing to be built too as a result
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

So a bit like the SNP leadership then?

Minus the HOL element.
    Yes
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Got it.
    Four posts from Scottish nationalists, all replying to each other, about another poster.

Off to the playground with you! ;)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

Are they allowed on pavements? I have no idea, but they are surely designed for use in a small restricted area, not pavements.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Talking of wrecked countries....

Nicola Sturgeon tells Holyrood there is now "consideration" of "seeking targeted military assistance to help deal with short-term pressure points" in Scotland's crisis-hit ambulance service. Comes after news a 65-year-old man died while enduring a 40-hour wait..

Nicola Sturgeon under pressure at #FMQs to speed up response, after only saying "considering" Army help and her Health Sec saying response details in a statement next Tuesday.
    @AnasSarwar: “Urgent action needs to happen today.. we can't wait a week for this government to wake up”...

In response to @AnasSarwar, Nicola Sturgeon gives some more details saying that after #FMQs she's going to her office to work on final details of the request for military assistance for Scotland's ambulance service. So - it's happening.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1438459188032806915?s=20
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Got it.
    Four posts from Scottish nationalists, all replying to each other, about another poster.

Will Milquetoast the class monitor be following us there?
  • Options

Typical uncorrected wide angle lens effect.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Are we expecting a “big” travel announcement update today?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway after many hours hospital sent Husband home without really doing anything. Told to come back if still not better.

The system's fucked. I was in A&E for 16 hours when I fucked myself in that recent motorbike accident. I couldn't face going back so I cut my cast off with a pneumatic rotary die grinder and made my own splint with thermoplastic off eBay and velcro tape. Got a megaton yield thermonuclear bollocking of Mrs DA for this act of hardy self-reliance.

How's the wrist now ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Why don't those attitudes translate into votes? It's been a long time since Scotland voted Conservative but England usually does. Same with Wales, been Labour as long as I can remember.
    There's a really odd divide growing between unionists and nationalists in that unionists seem quite keen on emphasising polls over votes. I believe that attitude is a mistake.
    The clues in the names - "Unionists" prefer cooperation, "Nationalists" division - by pretending there are differences in attitudes where none exist...
    You dodged my question, which I regret. Really, I'm interested in hearing why social attitude surveys are basically worthless in predicting bulk voting behaviour. I think it's an interesting question.
    Carlotta is only interested in bashing Scotland, it is her life.
    As ever you conflate "the Scottish Government" with "Scotland"

Like for example - this:

An investigation is underway after a frail pensioner found collapsed at his home in Glasgow died following a 40 hour wait for an ambulance.

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1438438761193345027?s=20
    Yet to ever see you qualify it, trying to pretend does not cut it. Please point to where is says "Scottish Government " and not "Scotland" in all the information there, may support your case NOT.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Got it.

Will Milquetoast the class monitor be following us there?
    Not after he beat you up last time. Walter Softy seems fairer (*).

(*) Not in his JRM personae.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Linke flirting with relevance.

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h
    BUNDESTAGSWAHL | Sonntagsfrage YouGov

SPD: 25% (-1)
    Union: 20% (-1)
    GRÜNE: 15%
    AfD: 11% (-1)
    FDP: 10%
    LINKE: 8% (+2)
    FW: 3% (NEU)
    Sonstige: 7% (-3)

SPD and Grune and Linke still only gets to 48% though, SPD and Grune and FDP does get to 50%
    I think this is an outlier for die Linke but I would be surprised if they poll less than 6% and get less than 3 constituency seats in East Berlin. I would be surprised if they got any constituency elsewhere though (like Leipzig/Dresden etc)
  • Options

That's good.
    I was wondering this morning whether we're due another little surge in a week or two when the universities go back. I'm still presuming we will, but hopefully it won't be massive.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Are we expecting a “big” travel announcement update today?

Reports suggest Friday.
  • Options

MattW said:

Cookie said:

Are they allowed on pavements? I have no idea, but they are surely designed for use in a small restricted area, not pavements.
    No idea.

I think the trial in Glasgow is because if they survive there, they can survive anywhere.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A hell of an effect to make a straight line into a circle!!
  • Options
    edited September 2021

malcolmg said:

Apols in advance

accepted but only just , I could have been eating lunch.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Nicola Sturgeon tells Holyrood there is now "consideration" of "seeking targeted military assistance to help deal with short-term pressure points" in Scotland's crisis-hit ambulance service. Comes after news a 65-year-old man died while enduring a 40-hour wait..

Nicola Sturgeon under pressure at #FMQs to speed up response, after only saying "considering" Army help and her Health Sec saying response details in a statement next Tuesday.
    @AnasSarwar: “Urgent action needs to happen today.. we can't wait a week for this government to wake up”...

In response to @AnasSarwar, Nicola Sturgeon gives some more details saying that after #FMQs she's going to her office to work on final details of the request for military assistance for Scotland's ambulance service. So - it's happening.

Your mental block obviously missed the same thing in England or does that not count as you are more caring down there. You are ecstatic about death, doom, gloom and misfortune in Scotland. Not an edifying personality trait.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h

SPD and Grune and Linke still only gets to 48% though, SPD and Grune and FDP does get to 50%
    I think this is an outlier for die Linke but I would be surprised if they poll less than 6% and get less than 3 constituency seats in East Berlin. I would be surprised if they got any constituency elsewhere though (like Leipzig/Dresden etc)
    Assuming that FW and Sonstige(others) are not in the final shareout as they are below 5%, then 48 out of 90 will definitely be above 50%, therefore a majority.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Yes.

*Gazes at the perfectly flat horizon and wonders how that remark is meant to support the roundist cause.*
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Cookie said:

No idea.

I think the trial in Glasgow is because if they survive there, they can survive anywhere.
    Will be available for sale at the Barra's by sunday
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
    Canada.

Polls still neck and neck. All the polls seem to be rolling, ie, small sample sizes. Useful to identify a trend, less useful to estimate the current voteshare for betting purposes. Time running out. Election is on the 20th.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election

I’m backing con most seats >3/1.

That’s not a betting tip. Current odds are probably about right.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Got it.

Either female or an idiot using a female name , just as likely to be Gove himself. Who cares
    PS: Or as suspected an old dragon
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

However the more you increase immigration, the more you need to build new houses for some them
    Sounds like a good job creation scheme.
    Also a recipe for the destruction of the greenbelt around London and Home Counties countryside if we take in more immigrants than we need based on skills shortages, with all the new houses needing to be built too as a result
    The green belt around London? Couldn't care less about it. Build or don't build, it's not my patch. Bergen and Torshavn are closer to where I live than your green belt.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Cookie said:

No idea.

A few months back, we had a few little delivery robots trialled out in our village. They're quite cute, in a killer-to-the-blind-and-disabled kind of way. I think it was this company:
    https://www.starship.xyz/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Cookie said:

No idea.

The ones we had around here apparently had live video link with a control centre and GPS tracking (the latter fairly obviously). I'm unsure how well the former scales if lots of scrotes try to nick the robot or its contents.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

Just listened to Boris's statement on AUUKUS. It seems obvious that we're just talking a weapons-procurement project here. The idea that this is going to replace NATO with a myriad of other nations queuing up to join seems utterly laughable.

I’m not convinced the rest of five eyes were kept out the loop, more likely asked and declined.

“Excuse me, we are going to play a geopolitical power game with China, similar to the successful one we played with Russia in Syria. Would you like a bigger Red Cross painted on your country?”

It’s looking in the real light of this morning as a bit of a fig leaf, truth is It has been failure to combat China up to now, and continued failure going forward behind this fig leaf announcement. Soft power and economics is where the real fight is. The West isn’t even in the same pond.

I was pondering this earlier. The Chinese model of projecting and gaining power globally seems to be investing in those countries they want to have influence in, building infrastructure, spunking great spumes of financial assistance, the nice touchy-feely stuff. (Though no doubt they can be right bastards if they want to.)

The Anglo-Saxon model has evolved over the centuries from invading and subjugating the countries we wish to control, to merely installing puppets and/or bombing them. Though AUKUS seems to hearken back to carrying a big dick and swinging it with vigour and menace.

Yes interesting, the cultural difference in power games. Though perhaps under Genghis and then Kublai, with his invasions of Japan thwarted by weather, there was plenty of the old invading and subjugating too?

Perhaps our leaders realise they can’t thwart or threaten China, so just pretend to us they are doing something? China will own all UK debt, all UK industry, and every box from Amazon on our step will have product from China by 2040. And yes I agree with you, if comes to a vote in UN, China soft power will have bought every delegate, just like the most crooked of FIFA bosses.

A bit of a fig leaf this Cold War announcement is. Big G is wrong, it’s right BBC didn’t make a big deal out of it. How let down by our leaders we actually are. That’s the fact and the story here.
  • Options
    Lol NFT frontrunning

OpenSea, one of the largest NFT marketplaces, has confirmed that its head of product, Nate Chastain, used insider knowledge to purchase NFTs that he knew were going to be displayed on the front page of OpenSea ahead of general release.

The accusations first arose on Twitter, with one user called ‘Zuwu’ saying that Chastain seems to be selling these pieces “shortly after the front-page-hype spike for profits.”

Yesterday, on September 15, OpenSea published a post confirming Chastain’s actions.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    NEW: 'Is this the Thick of It' latest...

Plan to change Ministry of Housing name to "Department for the Union and Levelling Up" has hit the skids over what the acronym will be..

Fears DULU sounds a bit too much like dull...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1438476108433854470
  • Options
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227
    HYUFD said:

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h

You do realise that this poll (like most recent polls) would give SPD+Greens+Left a majority, don't you? Oh never mind.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747

Selebian said:

Edit:

It's not so much the language as the lack of content (it would get very dull here if every other post was "wow, X is hot").

There's a legitimate point that Begum has changed her appearance/style to be (or at least, having the effect of being) much more sympathetic to a UK press. Prettier if you like, but also - more importantly - looking more 'Western' by which I mean having an appearance that would not be acceptable to ISIS. I'd not really have a problem with "she's made herself look hot to appeal to the UK press a lot more" although it's not the language I'd use.

For Leon's point the other day about Raducanu doing well off-court with the press partly due to looks, it's a legitimate point. The thing that made me cringe there was finding out that he has an acronym for (apparently) hot teenage girl.
    As this is pedanticbetting.com, I feel duty-bound to point out that it is an initialism, not an acronym.
    Also, I didn't make up "HTG". I believe it was Sandy Rentool
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
    ping said:

Canada.

Polls still neck and neck. All the polls seem to be rolling, ie, small sample sizes. Useful to identify a trend, less useful to estimate the current voteshare for betting purposes. Time running out. Election is on the 20th.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election

I’m backing con most seats >3/1.

That’s not a betting tip. Current odds are probably about right.

Current odds

Lib 1.23/1.28
    Con 4.5/5.1

Liquidity generally a bit crap, but there is ~£5k trying to back Trudeau @ 1.28-1.32
  • Options

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWQUi6oBwA
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420

gealbhan said:

I wonder what the result of a poll would be of the world's population (excluding US and Chinese citizens) in response to the following question:

"If you were obliged to leave your country of residence and had the choice of the PRC or the USA which would you choose?"

Whadya reckon? 95% for the USA. More? Less?

Suspect that may act as a brake on any Chinese dream of hegemony.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway after many hours hospital sent Husband home without really doing anything. Told to come back if still not better.

The system's fucked. I was in A&E for 16 hours when I fucked myself in that recent motorbike accident. I couldn't face going back so I cut my cast off with a pneumatic rotary die grinder and made my own splint with thermoplastic off eBay and velcro tape. Got a megaton yield thermonuclear bollocking of Mrs DA for this act of hardy self-reliance.

How's the wrist now ?
    Fucked. Still very swollen and painful with almost no grip strength or mobility. Need to do pads and discs on the F80 M3 tomorrow so that'll be a laugh. The new GSX-R has a bidirectional quick shifter so I don't need a clutch hand once I've got it rolling.

Valhalla, I am coming...

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited September 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

How's the wrist now ?
    Fucked. Still very swollen and painful with almost no grip strength or mobility. Need to do pads and discs on the F80 M3 tomorrow so that'll be a laugh. The new GSX-R has a bidirectional quick shifter so I don't need a clutch hand once I've got it rolling.

Valhalla, I am coming...

May be worth being seen in bone shop!
  • Options

The reality is that it's going to put a lot of pressure on the sector as those who don't want to be jabbed (probably the main reason now for unjabbed staff in this sector) leave. In other times, this might not have mattered, but with the current state of the jobs market, they will be difficult or expensive to replace.
    Choosing between "not enough staff" and "all staff jabbed" is not necessarily clear cut.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

HYUFD said:

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h

Assuming that FW and Sonstige(others) are not in the final shareout as they are below 5%, then 48 out of 90 will definitely be above 50%, therefore a majority.
    I agree about the Linke 8% being an outlier (the other poll on the same day showed them still at 6). But as Gary and Davey say, the sPD is likely to have a choice - Greens plus FDP or Linke. I think Scholz would prefer the FDP, though that might lose some voters on the left. Probably we won't know at once as Scholz will trade off one against the other in negotiations.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Edit:

Isn't Correct Horse Buttfuckery meant to be "young"?

I find it hard to believe anyone under 40, let alone 30, can be this priggish, sniffy and old-maideny. It's curiously impressive, tho I wonder if he is actually a sock-puppet created by Kinabalu, sitting in his Belsize Beer Garden, having a modest laugh
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Your mental block obviously missed the same thing in England or does that not count as you are more caring down there. You are ecstatic about death, doom, gloom and misfortune in Scotland. Not an edifying personality trait.
    You mean English health boards had the wit to ask for help when they needed it?

What ever could have stayed the hand of an SNP Health Minister to asking for help from the British Army?

It's a puzzle!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Cookie said:

That's good.
    I was wondering this morning whether we're due another little surge in a week or two when the universities go back. I'm still presuming we will, but hopefully it won't be massive.
    What is the current thinking on how far antibodies protect you, if you are not yet vaccinated?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Got it.

Either female or an idiot using a female name , just as likely to be Gove himself. Who cares
    PS: Or as suspected an old dragon
    Oh I've got a stalker! What fun!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    theProle said:

The reality is that it's going to put a lot of pressure on the sector as those who don't want to be jabbed (probably the main reason now for unjabbed staff in this sector) leave. In other times, this might not have mattered, but with the current state of the jobs market, they will be difficult or expensive to replace.
    Choosing between "not enough staff" and "all staff jabbed" is not necessarily clear cut.
    Not yet compulsory in Hospitals, but currently only 76% of staff are double vaxxed in my Trust. Not all are patient facing, but that is a hell of a staffing gap if they are made redundant.

I would allow those with documented evidence of past infection to be exempt, particularly if they have antibodies.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Yes it is. These staff are literally dealing with the most vulnerable to the virus. No excuses, get the jab or get out of the sector.

Anyone who wants to keep their job will go get the jab.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes.

*Gazes at the perfectly flat horizon and wonders how that remark is meant to support the roundist cause.*
    The horizon is a circle, assuming we ignore mountains etc.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

How's the wrist now ?

Valhalla, I am coming...

Mate, go to the doc

You've got money. Go to a private doc if it speeds things up

You're a highly entertaining poster, with a fine line in insults, swearing and obscure but dazzling mechanical references, it would be a shame if bits of you fell off, and then you snuffed it because of your *toxic masculinity*

Tho if this is all a joke, bravo
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

theProle said:

Not yet compulsory in Hospitals, but currently only 76% of staff are double vaxxed in my Trust. Not all are patient facing, but that is a hell of a staffing gap if they are made redundant.

I would allow those with documented evidence of past infection to be exempt, particularly if they have antibodies.
    Come on, what excuses are they trotting out. Anyone gone for the swollen bollocks scare story ?
  • Options

theProle said:

Yes it is. These staff are literally dealing with the most vulnerable to the virus. No excuses, get the jab or get out of the sector.

Anyone who wants to keep their job will go get the jab.
    If they don't want to get jabbed they can go and work in Scotland:

The Scottish government has said it has no plans to make vaccinations mandatory after reports today that the UK government is set to announce covid vaccinations are to become compulsory for all staff in care homes for older people in England.

https://healthandcare.scot/default.asp?page=story&story=2669

Scotland....Care Homes.....COVID.....what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

How's the wrist now ?

Valhalla, I am coming...

May be worth being seen in bone shop!
    They x-rayed it (eventually) in A&E and said I had a distal(?) fracture of the radius, pulled it back into place, slapped a huge cast on it the size of an elephant's knob and bade me farewell.

I call my home made splint 'The Infinity Gauntlet'.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting that the French fulmination over the subs deal makes no mention of the UK. Is that 1) a snub because they don’t want to credit us with anything on the global stage or 2) a recognition that in Europe the UK is the only other serious military power in town and that’s a bridge not worth burning?

I know we build our own submarines, but have we made any sales to other countries? France's defence industry exists because countries want Western technology, but don't want to be dependent on the US.
    When we got rid of the Upholder (*) class (as DuraAce mentions above), we went all-nuclear on our boats. Most countries cannot be bothered with nukes, and want diesel-electric instead. We couldn't offer them that. The French could not either; but offered to redesign their latest nuke attack sub to be diesel powered.

The Spanish S-80 class is probably not in the running due to the (ahem) interesting problems they've had with it. Like making it the first submarine that could sink but not surface again. So they lengthened it to add buoyancy, which added a whole host of other issues ...

It's interesting that Oz never really considered the UK for their Collins replacements because of their nuke power - despite their requirements being perfect for nuclear power, given the area they have to patrol.

(*) For train fans, these use the Paxman Valenta engines that originally powered the HST.
    Valentine tanks surely win the prize for the first submersibles that can’t surface?
    That's a bit unfair - Valentine DDs worked fairly well most of the time. Much better track record than many early submarines.

I thought the old joke was that any ship gets to play submarine. Once.

The Valentine DDs were a valuable experiment/test bed/training tool for the Sherman conversions.
    They were indeed. There's a very nice local history book about the training area in IIRC East Anglia - CHariots of the Lake. And some of the sinkings there would have been operator inexperience.

I also came across this recently -

http://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/34940/1/The Maritime Archaeology of Duplex Drive Tanks.pdf

But the DD tanks were effectively disposable anyway - the Valentines for training and the Shermans for the single assault (although also used later elsewhere). Proper maritine submarines aren't suposed to be so disposable - no wonder the Canadians were so cheesed off with the Upholders.
    There's a DD Sherman tank at Slapton Sands in Devon, recovered from the seabed by an interesting character.
    https://www.submerged.co.uk/slapton/

On a similar note; a few years ago I heard a podcast about the Lake Michigan planes. During WW2, the US had a lack of aircraft carriers on which to train pilots - they wanted the carriers in service, not training. So they converted two ships on Lake Michigan into aircraft carriers for training purposes. As it was training, lots of planes were lost - including one flown by Bush Senior.

Many have since been recovered:
    https://www.michiganradio.org/post/why-did-more-100-wwii-era-aircraft-sink-bottom-lake-michigan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_and_T_Recovery
    Indeed. The intriguing thing about the two Lake steamers is that they were paddle steamers - the only paddle steamer aircraft carriers in the world ever AFAIK (though I should qualify that by adding 'fixed-wing' in case there were some WW1 balloon carriers converted from passenger ferries or something).
This discussion has been closed.