Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

BoJo slumps to his worst ever Opinium PM approval rating – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2021 in General
imageBoJo slumps to his worst ever Opinium PM approval rating – politicalbetting.com

While just about everybody has been focused on the tennis the fortnightly Opinium poll has been published overnght with some bad news for the PM – his latest approval ratings which are featured in the chart above. As can be seen the PM now has a disapproval rating of 49% with just 32% saying that they approve. The former is the highest it has been since he entered Number 10 and the latter is the lowest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Tennis fatigue?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Second, rate like Boris
  • Good morning, my fellow Raducanu fans.

Tremendously impressive achievement. Hope she gets SPOTY.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702

Good morning, my fellow Raducanu fans.

Tremendously impressive achievement. Hope she gets SPOTY.

Absolutely excellent. She certainly deserves it. Good for her.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Good morning.

Followed the PB tip last night and now £30 poorer.

I could have had a quarter of one of Leon's bottles of booze.
  • The impresiive thing to me was how unfazed she was in key moments in the match. She spoke really welli in victory and will be a great ambassador for the sport.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    But - as Brucie would say - Good Game, Good Game.
    MattW said:

Good morning.

PB expected her to lose?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Good morning.

PB expected her to lose?
    If we hadn’t she would have done.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Tory MPs were worrying Boris was turning into their Ed Miliband. Now they think he's become their Nick Clegg > Mail On Sunday > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9980881/DAN-HODGES-happens-time-Boris-Johnson-turns-voters-begs-trust-me.html
  • Betting Post

F1: backed Norris at 9.5 and Ricciardo at 12 each way to win.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2021/09/italy-pre-race-2021.html

I don't think they will win but have a decent shot, cars together, of preventing Hamilton making much progress.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Oh well, I’m now more likely to lose £100 to @Philip_Thompson, than I thought I was going to be 48 hours ago!

Congratulations to Miss Raducanu, but I still think prices like 1/10 are ridiculous. Yes she won the tournament, but got an easy run at it. If she’d beaten Serena in the final, I might have thought differently.

I am now praying that Lewis Hamilton wins his record 8th championship on the day of the SPoTY vote, cementing his reputation as the driving GOAT.

Betting Post

F1: backed Norris at 9.5 and Ricciardo at 12 each way to win.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2021/09/italy-pre-race-2021.html

I don't think they will win but have a decent shot, cars together, of preventing Hamilton making much progress.

Lewis needs to get at least between the McLarens at the start, especially if they go with the soft tyres as they did yesterday.
    His worry will be that MV will be well up the road by the time he can clear the orange cars. Yesterday’s Sprint showed how difficult it actually is to overtake at Monza, the top speeds are all very similar and DRS is ineffective.

Interestingly, the F2 cars had no such problems in the support races, the first of which was an old-school F2 demolition derby! https://youtube.com/watch?v=BKoV22Id1Oc
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Good morning.

PB expected her to lose?
    There was clearly patriotic pointing going on and Raducanu was too short. I backed her opponent and traded out for profit in the first set as the market wildly over reacted to events on the court.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Good morning.

PB expected her to lose?
    We were doing our patriotic duty. :)
    Sandpit said:

Oh well, I’m now more likely to lose £100 to @Philip_Thompson, than I thought I was going to be 48 hours ago!

Congratulations to Miss Raducanu, but I still think prices like 1/10 are ridiculous. Yes she won the tournament, but got an easy run at it. If she’d beaten Serena in the final, I might have thought differently.

I am now praying that Lewis Hamilton wins his record 8th championship on the day of the SPoTY vote, cementing his reputation as the driving GOAT.

You can only beat the players in front of you. She did so without dropping a set.

OK, so the straight sets win in the final belies the fact that it was very close for much of it, but she still won.

Serena is also far from the force she was. It’s Ashleigh Barty et al now.
    On topic, I think what we are seeing now is a return to something approaching political normality, after a year and a half totally dominated by the pandemic which held up government support.

Government are now back to taking difficult decisions, and it’s always easier to criticise than to present a viable alternative to any given policy persued by those in charge. We have already seen tax rises announced, and there is more unpopularity to come, as the various Covid-related support schemes for furlough and tax credits come to an end, as well at the Budget next month. Expect the whips to be busy holding off rebellions and resignations - on which they did a very good job last week - as things return to normal. The majority should be large enough to see most things get through, so in terms of Commons business we’re not looking like it’s 1996 all over again.
    Sandpit said:

Government are now back to taking difficult decisions, and it’s always easier to criticise than to present a viable alternative to any given policy persued by those in charge. We have already seen tax rises announced, and there is more unpopularity to come, as the various Covid-related support schemes for furlough and tax credits come to an end, as well at the Budget next month.

• HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    Sandpit said:

On September 8th Sandpit wrote:

"She has no chance of winning SPoTY."

Sometimes you just need to admit you got something badly wrong.

I'm even beginning to wonder if the real reason you're hell-bent on this stance is that she looks and sounds something other than a WASP?

I hope that's not the case but otherwise you're coming across as ridiculous and a sore loser.
    Sandpit said:

On topic, I think what we are seeing now is a return to something approaching political normality, after a year and a half totally dominated by the pandemic which held up government support.

Government are now back to taking difficult decisions, and it’s always easier to criticise than to present a viable alternative to any given policy persued by those in charge. We have already seen tax rises announced, and there is more unpopularity to come, as the various Covid-related support schemes for furlough and tax credits come to an end, as well at the Budget next month. Expect the whips to be busy holding off rebellions and resignations - on which they did a very good job last week - as things return to normal. The majority should be large enough to see most things get through, so in terms of Commons business we’re not looking like it’s 1996 all over again.

There is the issue for the Tories that they haven’t much recent experience of having to try when it comes to electioneering. 2017 was the mirror opposite of trying to win, and for 2019 the PM spent most of the campaign hiding from public view, and was able to get away with it. Both times they were up against Corbyn, who realistically never stood a chance. And the last time the Tories were hugely unpopular and consistently behind in the polls was during the coalition years, and even then the LibDems were taking most of the pain - my semi-inside recollection is that the wobbles were mostly coming from the Tory side, even then.

It will be interesting to see how the party reacts if ‘normal’ politics does indeed resume.
  • - “I have yet to see the detailed data”

Still no tables up. Is that not a breach of BPC rules?
    On topic, Johnson has made a huge mistake with these tax hikes. A big big mistake. It was always likely when you put in charge of public finance someone who is on the verge of personal bankruptcy. He has splurged non-existent Government money and now Rishi has told him he has to pay for it.

I have friends, Conservative voters, who are seething.
    If Raducanu wins SPoTY she will join an illustrious list of non-Olympians to win it in an Olympic year:

1956 - Jim Laker
    1988 - Steve Davis
    1992 - Nigel Mansell
    1996 - Damon Hill

Notable people who didn’t win:

1968 - Graham Hill (F1 world champion - though, maybe only possible because of Clark’s death, beaten by David Hemmery - 400m hurdles)
    1976 - James Hunt (F1 world champion (amongst other things!), beaten by John Curry - figure skating, so winter games, which aren’t a factor these days)
    2008 - Lewis Hamilton (F1 world champion, beaten by triple gold medalist Chris Hoy, cycling)
    2012 - Andy Murray (US Open winner, beaten by Bradley Wiggins - cycling)

I’m surprised Hunt didn’t win, but maybe Middle England didn’t like his off-track behaviour!
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Government are now back to taking difficult decisions, and it’s always easier to criticise than to present a viable alternative to any given policy persued by those in charge. We have already seen tax rises announced, and there is more unpopularity to come, as the various Covid-related support schemes for furlough and tax credits come to an end, as well at the Budget next month.

Matt again being the genius that he is, taking the two biggest stories of the day and turning them into a one-liner.

With due apologies to @Marf, I’m not sure why any of the other cartoonists bother.
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

If Raducanu wins SPoTY she will join an illustrious list of non-Olympians to win it in an Olympic year:

1956 - Jim Laker
    1988 - Steve Davis
    1992 - Nigel Mansell
    1996 - Damon Hill

1968 - Graham Hill (F1 world champion - though, maybe only possible because of Clark’s death, beaten by David Hemmery - 400m hurdles)
    1976 - James Hunt (F1 world champion (amongst other things!), beaten by John Curry - figure skating, so winter games, which aren’t a factor these days)
    2008 - Lewis Hamilton (F1 world champion, beaten by triple gold medalist Chris Hoy, cycling)

I’m surprised Hunt didn’t win, but maybe Middle England didn’t like his off-track behaviour!

Jenson Button, F1 champion 2009, beaten by Ryan f***** Giggs who won nothing that year.
    edited September 2021
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

You can only beat the players in front of you. She did so without dropping a set.

OK, so the straight sets win in the final belies the fact that it was very close for much of it, but she still won.

Serena is also far from the force she was. It’s Ashleigh Barty et al now.
    Yep and Emma beat the Olympic Champion.

I think for those of us who know the game of tennis, she is the real deal and then some. A remarkable player with nerves of steel.

If she stays injury-free she will win many more Grand Slams. Tennis moved on last night. A changing of the guard. Emma Raducanu is the face of the new generation and I suspect young players like Leylah will push her hard.

Ten years from now though Sandpit still won't admit he was completely wrong. Nor will Piers Morgan. But that's about them. This is about Emma.
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

I'm even beginning to wonder if the real reason you're hell-bent on this stance is that she looks and sounds something other than a WASP?

I hope that's not the case but otherwise you're coming across as ridiculous and a sore loser.
    Err, what?

I said last week that she had no chance, and I’m now saying she has a much better chance having won the tournament.
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

1956 - Jim Laker
    1988 - Steve Davis
    1992 - Nigel Mansell
    1996 - Damon Hill

Jenson Button, F1 champion 2009, beaten by Ryan f***** Giggs who won nothing that year.
    Not true. He won his 11th league title and was named PFA Player of the Year.
    Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

I said last week that she had no chance, and I’m now saying she has a much better chance having won the tournament.
    Do you even understand what the English words 'no chance' mean? If you write no chance you don't suddenly get the right to revise the words into 'by no chance I really meant not a lot of chance.' Your kind of langauge is dangerous in betting circles.

I said at the time that you'd written something silly.
    EXCL: Minutes after pushing a tax hike for workers through the Commons, Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak rushed to attend a glossy reception with 70 major Tory donors

The event on Wednesday saw billionaires and investment bankers rub shoulders with the PM and Chancellor
    https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1436952124815036419/photo/1
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Good morning.

PB expected her to lose?
    If we hadn’t she would have done.
    I think State go away lost all his winnings from his last big win.
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

Do you even understand what the English words 'no chance' mean? If you write no chance you don't suddenly get the right to revise the words into 'by no chance I really meant not a lot of chance.' Your kind of langauge is dangerous in betting circles.

The context to my comment was that she had no chance *unless she wins the tournament*.

Well guess what, she won the tournament, and she now has a good chance.

I also put my money where my mouth is, and have a £100 bet with @Philip_Thompson on the SPoTY result.

Anyway, more productive uses of my time beckon this fine Sunday morning.
  • Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

1956 - Jim Laker
    1988 - Steve Davis
    1992 - Nigel Mansell
    1996 - Damon Hill

The Ryan Giggs precedent – beware Christiano Ronaldo – one game, two goals. :wink:

Can we be sure Andrew didn't send it?
    Andrew couldn’t bare to watch it. US courts break him out in a cold sweat.
    That’s very good 👍
    She really has everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqNvAwy6Tfw

An extraordinary young lady. I'm blown away by her level of tennis as well her mental fortitude.
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

1956 - Jim Laker
    1988 - Steve Davis
    1992 - Nigel Mansell
    1996 - Damon Hill

Adding to the long list of people who were gratuitously fucked over by Giggs.
  • While we wait for Opinium to comply with BPC rules, I perused that YouGov poll from a couple of days ago.

No Johnson disapproval question.
    Pro-independence parties on 60%. Unionist parties on 40%.
    But the biggie for me is that - 4 decades later - Clownism has finally utterly buried Thatcherism.

- “Thinking about Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party do you think they do or do not care about keeping taxes low?”
    (net do/do not)

Midlands and Wales -30
    Rest of South -30
    North -42
    London -43
    Scotland -56

GB -37
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit is married to a Ukrainian and lives in Dubai. You can stop wondering because it isn’t that.
  • Mr. Dickson, he's just an airhead spender desperate for popularity and quite willing to throw money (not his) away to get nice headlines that rapidly fade.
    Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

The context to my comment was that she had no chance *unless she wins the tournament*.

How not to admit you were wrong. Now you're adding words that you didn't put.

We all make mistakes. The secret to success is to admit them, if not to others at least to yourself. To attempt to re-write what you said belittles yourself. Take some time out and reflect.

So, I wonder who will land the big sponsorship deal with Emma? Someone is going to pay her an enormous amount of money for the modern face of a global superstar.

Mr. Dickson, he's just an airhead spender desperate for popularity and quite willing to throw money (not his) away to get nice headlines that rapidly fade.

That’s rather harsh on State Go Away.
  • ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit is married to a Ukrainian and lives in Dubai. You can stop wondering because it isn’t that.
    Neither is Nigel Farage, but…

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

I never knew Nigel Farage lived in Dubai.

Personally, if he is to relocate I would prefer Outer Mongolia, but Dubai is sort of a start.
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

We all make mistakes. The secret to success is to admit them, if not to others at least to yourself. To attempt to re-write what you said belittles yourself. Take some time out and reflect.

So, I wonder who will land the big sponsorship deal with Emma? Someone is going to pay her an enormous amount of money for the modern face of a global superstar.

Why are you so invested in this, something so trivial ?
    Priti Patel breaks rules again after secret meeting with billionaire and BA https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-breaks-rules-again-24963905

Labour accuses ‘reckless’ Priti Patel of serially breaching ministerial code https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/11/labour-accuses-reckless-priti-patel-of-serially-breaching-ministerial-code
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2021
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

When you say Emma Raducanu "sounds something other than a WASP" you give the impression of not watching yesterday's final and having heard her interviewed. Raducanu sounds like a suburban south Londoner, which is unsurprising because suburban south London is where she lives, grew up and learned to play tennis.

I too was a Raducanu sceptic, although as stated on pb, I'd backed her to win the US Open. The main reason for doubting her SPotY credentials was that the US Open was not broadcast on terrestrial television. That changed with the last minute sale of television rights for the final to Channel 4 and highlights to the BBC, which latter point means that the SPotY television programme, during which the public votes for the winner, can show her victory.

Since Raducanu was the same price to win the US Open as to win SPotY, and the latter was predicated on the former, the US Open was the more sensible bet, and an each-way bet would have paid out if she'd lost in the final – and if she had lost, it is unlikely she'd have been shortlisted for SPotY. Oh, and as noted on the last thread, she went to the same school as Dina Asher-Smith, who for most of the summer was favourite to win SPotY.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,055
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

As an economic migrant himself he seems very willing to deny that opportunity to others.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,255
    Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

Well guess what, she won the tournament, and she now has a good chance.

I also put my money where my mouth is, and have a £100 bet with @Philip_Thompson on the SPoTY result.

Anyway, more productive uses of my time beckon this fine Sunday morning.
    I had the same view, so I stayed out of the market as I couldn't judge the odds on her winning the final. Had she lost,I think peaty or Daley better bets for spoty. As it is, I think you'll be enriching Philip when the time comes :smile:
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Priti Patel breaks rules again after secret meeting with billionaire and BA https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-breaks-rules-again-24963905

Labour accuses ‘reckless’ Priti Patel of serially breaching ministerial code https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/11/labour-accuses-reckless-priti-patel-of-serially-breaching-ministerial-code

Patel was sacked for running her own foreign policy. Is it any surprise she now seems to have her own transport policy?

As with Boris, or Gove, we are governed by people who think the rules don't apply to them.
  • It will be fascinating to see how quickly the Tory invulnerability is swept away - if we are seeing the start of it.

So far they have been able to lie and break the law and have been practically applauded for doing so by the Cult of Boris. Yes its marvellous that he lied to the Queen etc.

So this week's lies - that the tax increase is to pay for social care, and that its progressive - shouldn't have been any concern. Tory voters like being lied to. And yet suddenly it appears they don't.

One possible angle. We saw the zeal for Brexit. That was seen as doing something to someone else - the man, the powers that be, the EU, the bureaucrats. Easy to support something that supposedly only hits Other People.

But this tax hike hits everyone. And the people who felt hard done by when we were in the EU get hard done the hardest. And thats before working families get scalped by the UC cut. And to cap it all off, they can't even see what benefit there is - the NHS will be on its knees again this winter and keep getting worse according to Javid.

Like I said, this is the Tories apocalpseofuck.
  • Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

Emma Raducanu can have more than one sponsor, and from inside and outside the tennis world. Look at the logos plastered all over Lewis Hamilton when he wins the Italian Grand Prix this afternoon. And she can appear in adverts separately from sponsorship. Since she is fluent in Mandarin as well as English, the huge Chinese market is also open to her.
  • Mr. JohnL, aye. But when it comes to that sort of thing I hope she's more of a Sharapova than a Bouchard.

Emma Raducanu can have more than one sponsor, and from inside and outside the tennis world. Look at the logos plastered all over Lewis Hamilton when he wins the Italian Grand Prix this afternoon. And she can appear in adverts separately from sponsorship. Since she is fluent in Mandarin as well as English, the huge Chinese market is also open to her.

Raducanu clearly the most marketable British sports person since Beckham and probably much more than him. Makes Lewis Hamilton look like a darts player. Charisma to burn.
    https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1436801559858458625
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

It will be fascinating to see how quickly the Tory invulnerability is swept away - if we are seeing the start of it.

So far they have been able to lie and break the law and have been practically applauded for doing so by the Cult of Boris. Yes its marvellous that he lied to the Queen etc.

So this week's lies - that the tax increase is to pay for social care, and that its progressive - shouldn't have been any concern. Tory voters like being lied to. And yet suddenly it appears they don't.

One possible angle. We saw the zeal for Brexit. That was seen as doing something to someone else - the man, the powers that be, the EU, the bureaucrats. Easy to support something that supposedly only hits Other People.

But this tax hike hits everyone. And the people who felt hard done by when we were in the EU get hard done the hardest. And thats before working families get scalped by the UC cut. And to cap it all off, they can't even see what benefit there is - the NHS will be on its knees again this winter and keep getting worse according to Javid.

Interestingly - the reason it's not included within National insurance was because Rishi wanted it to be obvious on every payslip.

Which means if Labour gets its messaging right on every payslip there is a deduction to allow the Southern pensioners to keep their home
  • According to Google, Hamilton has an estimated net worth of $825m.

Serena Williams is on, apparently $210m.
  • Mr. Dickson, he's just an airhead spender desperate for popularity and quite willing to throw money (not his) away to get nice headlines that rapidly fade.

Right, that’s Andrew and Nigel covered, but what do you think about Boris?
    Scott_xP said:

Raducanu clearly the most marketable British sports person since Beckham and probably much more than him. Makes Lewis Hamilton look like a darts player. Charisma to burn.
    What a grade a Cnut. Nothing wrong with darts and long gone are the days of them all looking like Fordham or Jocky Wilson.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited September 2021
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

I think that's the kind of criticism and implied denunciation that requires some evidence to back it up.

Interesting that in a later post you talk about him adding words he didn't originally put, whilst here you invent rationales he didn't put in those initial words.

According to Google, Hamilton has an estimated net worth of $825m.

I find that hard to believe with all the endorsements she must have had.
    edited September 2021
    Labour conference still proves to be an unsafe space for women with the wrong views.

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1436752596954456073?s=21
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

Hamilton will be being paid a lot more though. At about $55 million a year, that’s probably 4-5 times what a tennis player could earn in prize money even if they won every tournament. Plus he will be having all his coaching, nutritionists, physio etc provided by McLaren and Serena will have to pay for her own.
  • tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

As an economic migrant himself he seems very willing to deny that opportunity to others.

That’s out of order.
    Is it? Migration is either good or bad. Personally enjoying the benefits of migration and the ability to live elsewhere whilst insisting that others do not is hypocrisy. I'm not pointing the finger at Sandpit here but its a vibe that was all too common in English expats in Spain who lived there, spoke minimal Spanish and integrated as little as possible. Loud beach care conversations about "bloody migrants" back home who come in to sponge and don't speak the language.
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

I think that's the kind of criticism and implied denunciation that requires some evidence to back it up.
    In this day and age such evidence is no longer needed. Just. Having the wrong opinion means you’re autmotwtically deemed to hold such repellent views. Politics is binary now. You’re either fully on board or denounced for not being pure.

I’ve never seen anything in sandpits posts to indicate he holds such views so far. Such a repellent accusation should be justified.
    eek said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit is only in Dubai because his Ukerianian wife has not been granted the right to stay in the UK.
    Yes, economic migrants do get entangled in red tape.
  • It will be fascinating to see how quickly the Tory invulnerability is swept away - if we are seeing the start of it.

Yes, I think that is the key point: there is no visible upside. Unlike many on here, I believe the polling evidence that people support tax rises for the NHS. The problem is that Boris claimed the tax rise would pay for social care and that quickly unravelled.

Separately from that is breaking the pensions triple lock, much hated on pb as a subsidy to rich pensioners. The thing is, the state pension is also paid to poor pensioners, and there are a lot more of them.

And common to both is lying to the electorate. Two election pledges broken in one day. It plays into the meme that Boris's word cannot be relied on.

Breaking

Police Scotland granted warrant to seize evidence in the £600,000 SNP fraud enquiry including accounts and any relevant materials from Johnston Carmichael hired by the SNP

Sturgeon's husband Peter Murrell is to be interviewed by Police Scotland also

Scott_xP said:

As noted yesterday her only defence for repeatedly acting this way is to claim stupidity, as the alternative is she intentionally does not care about professional, personal and political standards.

And while many others close by might also not care, they don't get caught out so much.
  • Scott_xP said:

Patel was sacked for running her own foreign policy. Is it any surprise she now seems to have her own transport policy?

As with Boris, or Gove, we are governed by people who think the rules don't apply to them.
    For once, they are right, they don't apply.
    kle4 said:

As noted yesterday her only defence for repeatedly acting this way is to claim stupidity, as the alternative is she intentionally does not care about professional, personal and political standards.

And while many others close by might also not care, they don't get caught out so much.

The difference between getting sacked by May and reinstated by BoZo is that May does care about professional, personal and political standards and BoZo doesn't.
  • eek said:

It will be fascinating to see how quickly the Tory invulnerability is swept away - if we are seeing the start of it.

Interestingly - the reason it's not included within National insurance was because Rishi wanted it to be obvious on every payslip.

Which means if Labour gets its messaging right on every payslip there is a deduction to allow the Southern pensioners to keep their home
    I get the rationale. Its not a tax rise, its a "Social Care Levy". Same as the "Adult Social Care Levy" 2% on your council tax.

The problem is that people see straight through it. With council tax the complaint is why am I having to pay for something someone else needs (direct repeated horse's mouth quotes from the doorstep before anyone picks at it).

So why would this NI levy be any different? Its a tax. Explicitly called out and supposedly hypothecated. With the money openly wasted.

BTW, southern pensioners DO NOT keep their home. The iniquity of social care was that people have to liquidate their kids inheritance to pay for their own care. They still need to pay £86k - which means selling their home. "Ah but not when they are alive" I heard some clown apologist say on here.

Yes, so after they die the house gets sold to pay for their care. No inheritance.

Its literally the apocalypseofuck. A massive tax rise. On the hardest working (which in punter land is "me"). To fix something that isn't fixed in 3 years. To patch the NHS before then so where the fuck is the Brexit money.

Rishi needs to get his brilliant spin machine on it. Boris produced the plan. Its his team not mine. I warned him not to. Or he goes down with the clown.

Mr. Dickson, he's just an airhead spender desperate for popularity and quite willing to throw money (not his) away to get nice headlines that rapidly fade.

Breaking

Police Scotland granted warrant to seize evidence in the £600,000 SNP fraud enquiry including accounts and any relevant materials from Johnston Carmichael hired by the SNP

Interesting, I wonder how this will play out.
  • Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

What a grade a Cnut. Nothing wrong with darts and long gone are the days of them all looking like Fordham or Jocky Wilson.
    Some darts players even take two hours before each match getting their hair done......well at least one of them does.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

To be more accurate, he was at one time at least, and had children (daughters) with, a German lady. One of the girls attended, for a while, the same school as one of my granddaughters.

And Good Morning all. We didn't particularly celebrate last night but relief after the stress of watching made us sleep on.

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

I expect that she also may well change perceptions of the British-Romanian community. Even Nigel Farage seems to be changing his mind over having Romanians as neighbours.

I note she came here aged 2, which would have been 2005 or so. Did her father come on his Romanian passport under FOM, with his Chinese spouse?

Breaking

You feeling alright Big G?

Leaving the womb been harsh on the old soul?

The last point is the one that will have the biggest impact come the next election.

The NHS won't be visibly better, at best it will have caught up with the backlog, but perhaps not even that.
    Social care coverage will actually be worse.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2021
    The controversy over NI has demonstrated tax payers are happy for tax rises but not if they effect them

With hindsight the fairest tax would have been a 1% hypothecated income tax rise shown as such on payslips

I hope that the 100 plus conservative mps angry with Boris force him to reinstate the £20 UC uplift but even if they do it should not have been necessary
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Hamilton will be being paid a lot more though. At about $55 million a year, that’s probably 4-5 times what a tennis player could earn in prize money even if they won every tournament. Plus he will be having all his coaching, nutritionists, physio etc provided by McLaren and Serena will have to pay for her own.
    I'm not surprised hes wealthier, but how low her wealth is despite such a long career.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

The last point is the one that will have the biggest impact come the next election.

The NHS won't be visibly better, at best it will have caught up with the backlog, but perhaps not even that.
    One of the ways to fix the NHS today would be to improve social care so that blocked beds were unblocked faster

Breaking

You feeling alright Big G?

Leaving the womb been harsh on the old soul?
    I am fine and insults do not make this story go away

They’re gambling by the time of the next election this is all but a distant memory and we are motoring ahead having ironed out the brexit issues and seen off covid.

Energy bills are also due to go up pretty soon.

The Tories are never going to drop below 35% in the popular vote. The danger they face is that they become so disliked by the other 65% that big time tactical voting kicks in. This is where a bland, rather uninspiring Labour leader is helpful.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Err, what?

I expect that she also may well change perceptions of the British-Romanian community. Even Nigel Farage seems to be changing his mind over having Romanians as neighbours.

I note she came here aged 2, which would have been 2005 or so. Did her father come on his Romanian passport under FOM, with his Chinese spouse?
    I believe her family is reasonably well off. I don't know why that makes a significant difference, but apparently it can do.

Edit. And her parents work in the City.
  • Sandpit said:

Raducanu beat the players rated 12 (the Olympic gold medalist) and 18 in the world, but you would rate her higher if she had beaten the world's no. 22 (who will be the world's no. 41 tomorrow)? Each to his own.

She could only beat the players in front of her. She did so and became the first qualifier ever to win a grand slam event. Great achievement.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

A. I hate the nosy way if you Google anyone it practically always offers you "net worth" as a suggestion and B. how the hell would anyone know? You might sometimes know some of the income figures and some real estate numbers but you know nothing about other investments, or outgoings.
  • kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I'm not surprised hes wealthier, but how low her wealth is despite such a long career.
    She will have earnt much more than that. So either the figure quoted is wrong or she has spent/lost a lot of money. She has invested in a lot of businesses from her own clothes line to the likes of UFC and Miami Dolphins.

I would guess the figure is wrong.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Lots of people don't like Serena Williams, she's nowhere near as popular and marketable as Lewis. His sponsorship deals will be an order of magnitude larger than hers because of that. Comparing like for like I'd expect that Roger Federer will have similar career and sponsorship earnings to Lewis.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Boris still has more voters approving of his performance than Starmer does however, 32% to 29%. Based on the Opinium voting intention figures the Conservatives may lose their majority but would still comfortably win most seats, 297 to 268 for Labour with 7 for the LDs and 55 for the SNP.

Sturgeon and Blackford would therefore be kingmakers and Starmer would need SNP confidence and supply to form a government

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=38&LIB=8&Reform=2&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=23.6&SCOTLAB=19.2&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.3&SCOTGreen=1.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=47.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
    eek said:

One of the ways to fix the NHS today would be to improve social care so that blocked beds were unblocked faster

During the Brexit campaign perhaps the most shameless political advert ever made showed empty NHS waiting rooms if we voted for the xenophobes.

There would be room for a similar advert now showing crowded and miserable care homes due to understaffing transformed by a massive influx of immigrant staff...
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

How's... ummm... your forecast of total Covid meltdown in the UK looking?

Because right now, I'm not sure you're in a position to criticise others for inaccurate predictions.
    Inaccurate predictions is one thing, accusations of racism require somewhat of a higher bar!
  • rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

How's... ummm... your forecast of total Covid meltdown in the UK looking?

Because right now, I'm not sure you're in a position to criticise others for inaccurate predictions.
    1. Whataboutery of a pretty big order
    2. I don't think Heathener was criticising the accuracy of the forecast.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Social care will be worse.

Who does that help, politically ?

Because it looks like no-one wants to pay the large bills for social care for our ageing population -- neither those receiving the care, nor their immediate family, nor the general population through taxation.

I think it probably helps a liar, who can claim the problem is fixed (when it isn't). Or that no new taxes are required (when they are).
This discussion has been closed.