Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo slumps to his worst ever Opinium PM approval rating – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Delicious if true

When asked if Piers Morgan's views had encouraged her, Emma replied
    "Sorry, I don't know who she is."

https://twitter.com/clooky/status/1437029209428398081?s=20

Someone find the video.
    Incredibly, he seems to be claiming he played a part in her victory by driving her on.
    Its just more of the same old shit...this mid life crisis that we see a number of high profile individuals are clearly having and results in spending too much time on twitter crowbarring themselves into everything.

Gary Lineker will be making it about diversity / Brexit, Moron about himself, Fox something about wokeness, Gary Neville something about how terrible the government are.
    It's not "mid life crises" - it happens to young people as well - it is a function of social media itself. Especially Twitter.

Getting likes and retweets is a dopamine hit. Getting 100,000 retweets is a massive dopamine hit. The world agrees with you, instantly!

This is addictive. You want, no, crave, more of the same. So you tweet about anything, and everything, you end up in absurd arguments, but you still get that hit of approval from your 300,000 followers.

It is tragic to watch highly intelligent people frittering away their actual lives on pointless meaningless opining which will be forgotten 2 minutes later (unless they get it wrong and get cancelled)

Twitter is almost pure toxin. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to engage with it, but do so with extreme caution
    I think my point about it being a midlife crisis is they aren't some spotty teenager in their bedroom looking for any validation. They have fallen down this slippery slope as clearly being extremely wealthy famous connected individuals and that isn't enough.

Back in the days that meant buying a penis extensive sports car, a motorbike or having an affair / getting divorced for a younger lover....now its the retweets / likes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223

Kate Forbes - Scottish Finance Minister

KF: “And I challenge the UK government, here and now, to match our commitment - match our £500 million pledge in Moray and the North East over the next 10 years.”

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1436991063219220480

So, will Scotland not be independent over the next ten years, or do you think the U.K. government will be still sending money to an independent Scotland?

Is £500m supposed to compensate Aberdeen for the failure to develop Carnbroe?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672

KF: “And I challenge the UK government, here and now, to match our commitment - match our £500 million pledge in Moray and the North East over the next 10 years.”

So, will Scotland not be independent over the next ten years, or do you think the U.K. government will be still sending money to an independent Scotland?

Just planning on the basis of the current situation. Which she has to, else you'd be sneering about it, turned up to 12 and a half. Option B would instantly default to "none of the UK's business anyway" in the event of indy.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,490
    edited September 2021
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scotland cases still high - 5,912, but down a bit on last week’s 6,368

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1437059432937050113?s=20

We must run out of people to infect at some point.
    Okay, a perhaps silly question: if I get a PCR test, and am positive, then take another test a day or too later (or a LFT), do I count as two infections, or is the second test discounted?

If it isn't discounted, do we know how many people are getting tested like that?
    Why would you get tested again if you are infected? Maybe if you were asymptomatic and suspect a false result I suppose. My daughter is not exactly ill but has a sore throat and feels grubby enough to confirm the diagnosis.

But the short answer is I don't know.
  • Options
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Emma! What a girl! Her parents must be so proud.

Anyway, today I celebrate 29 years of marriage. On and off, despite some dark times, Husband and I have been together - since we met in Russia (a coup de foudre 4 days after first meeting) - 33 years and 2 months.

Given what a pain in the arse I can be that is quite some achievement.

Husband has just mended (unprompted - he's finally learning 😉) one of the garden chairs so as it is sunny here we can sit outside and have a celebratory drink. It's never too early for one of those.

Congratulations, hope you have a wonderful day and I hope your daughter is celebrating the death of the vaccine passport as well!
    Thank you.

Thank God that abomination has been buried. For now, at least. I don't trust them not to try and reintroduce it when we're not looking.

It seems to be working fine in Germany. Within the last 24 hours I’ve had to show my NHS pass four times; to check in to the latest hotel, to get dinner, to get lunch, and to ride in the cable car. If you haven’t got a certificate, you need a test, and there is a seven day walk in ‘quick testing station’ in the village.

Places are busy so it doesn’t appear to be hitting trade, at least.
    Yes.

People in other countries seem a little baffled by the attitude here, though less than they were bewildered by the extent of the sentimentality about Afghan street-dogs - from the little I have read.
    I think it stems from different cultures where the police have a right to demand to see ID - something not yet acceptable here.

Long may it remain so….. Papiere Bitte….
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Okay, a perhaps silly question: if I get a PCR test, and am positive, then take another test a day or too later (or a LFT), do I count as two infections, or is the second test discounted?

If it isn't discounted, do we know how many people are getting tested like that?
    Why would you get tested again if you are infected? Maybe if you were asymptomatic and suspect a false result I suppose. My daughter is not exactly ill but has a sore throat and feels grubby enough to confirm the diagnosis.

Not sure why one woiuld bother with a LFT after a positive PCR test when the latter AFAIK are far more reliable. A second PCR perhaps, but a LFT? The only reason I can think of is trying to get a negative result in order to go out and do something, but that doesn't make sense as one wouldn't be reporting any of this.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868

They really are not very bright, or maybe just giving the game away.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Just planning on the basis of the current situation. Which she has to, else you'd be sneering about it, turned up to 12 and a half. Option B would instantly default to "none of the UK's business anyway" in the event of indy.
    Her planning for independence does not yet appear to extend to such fundamentals as “currency”…..
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868
    RobD said:

If it's a devolved area why would the UK government be stumping up any money?
    you forgot levelling up already
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    29173 cases, 56 deaths.

Another set of encouraging case numbers.
  • Options
    Damon Hill calls it correctly.

It was a calculated attempt to take out Hamilton because Max Verstappen is a dangerous twat a cynical bastard and leading the championship.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A while back, someone on here posted someone's daily LFT tests, showing the C line (infected) get stronger and then weaker. Unsure if that was the UK, though. And someone I know in the village had weekly PCR tests for his job - including two positives after he'd got infected. Or as you say, because someone doesn't believe it, and gets a retest - ala pregnancy tests.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    19,900 cases in England, down from 27,000 last Sunday - fall is accelerating right when it was supposed to be going wrong.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Like banging on about her attire, and projecting on whether it reflect her feelings of nationality?

Now we have a 18 year old player as great as #EmmaRaducanu , let’s look after her. When tabloid papers, TV or radio start doing stories about her that are not about her tennis, boycott them.

https://twitter.com/halcruttenden/status/1436989206623133699?s=21
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Just realised who Emma Raducanu reminds me of. Tiger Woods. Both of mixed European/Asian descent. Both have this completely calm self-confidence. And supreme skill. She could dominate female tennis the way Woods dominated golf

Obviously there are differences. She has is more charming (tho that could just be her youth). Hopefully she won’t echo Woods’ later career…

And the manner of her breakthrough. Seed 150, a qualifier, only 2nd major, no sets dropped, goes on to win. That is unprecedented in top world sport. The only comparison that occurs to me is one of those amateur Spanish matadors that used to jump out of the crowd and fight the bull with such style they went on to be huge pro stars.

Good spot. That was my first thought as a cf. She won't end up quite that mega - TW was Michael Jackson with clubs - but yes, definite similarities. Tiger WAS pretty charming with the media, btw, when he first hit the big time. One slight difference is he was a noted child prodigy in golf, and all fans of the sport knew about him as a junior.
    She could easily out-Tiger the Tiger. Tennis is potentially bigger than golf (if it isn’t already). She’s also young, female and extremely telegenic and she has that backstory that everyone can get behind - in their different ways.

She could be THE biggest sports star in the world (excepting football, of course)

Can she handle the pressure, tho? She looks like she can, but wow. Wimbledon next year will be insane, for her
    No argument on how big she could be. She's big now and could be huge huge HUGE. There's almost no limit on how enormous this girl could become. But not as big a global icon as Tiger. That's not possible. It just isn't.
    No, it's not possible. Golf is massive (in the US in particular) and I suspect is the most participated-in sport on the planet. Tennis is rather niche in comparison.
    And with Woods, a very charismatic young black man exploding into a sport associated with being staid and old and white and elitist, the only blacks being on the bag or cleaning the clubhouse, a sport that cannot really be dominated by a single player and yet doing exactly that for 15 years; and then we have the sordid sex scandal and the serial injuries, the failed comebacks and finally the glorious redemptive one, life back on track, a humbler 'nicer' persona, another Masters at age 43, and then, for good measure, let's crash a car at 100 mph, nearly die and (probably) play no more. As regards individuals in sports and in global terms there has never been a bigger story than Tiger Woods.
    But, globally, golf just isn’t that big and never was (except maybe in the USA, a market now in steep relative decline)

Golf itself is dwindling away very quickly. A dying sport. Golf courses are being turned into housing worldwide

https://www.sportscasting.com/the-decline-of-golf-5-ways-to-turn-around-the-sport/

Tennis is bigger - it has way more players and viewers worldwide.

That said, what Tiger Woods achieved WITHIN golf is unique, I agree. Raducanu has a looooooong way to go to be anything like that. But the potential is there
    The pandemic has been great for golf. Participation has shot up. Not sure how much of that is young people, though, which is what you want. Although a big part of its charm is you can play into dotage. I can still boom one over 300 when I catch it.
    I rather like golf. Not passionate, and I've never played, but I find it soothing to watch, timeless and quiet, like a kind of outdoor snooker

But the long term prognosis is not good (despite a Covid blip). Golf is so non-21st-century. It uses up much land and water for a start, which isn't popular or sellable. It is also slow and old and takes days. It is like Test cricket (which is also in trouble). But at least cricket has found new formats to give itself a bright future

Unless golf can find a new way to sell itself - fast, exciting, dramatic - it will dwindle to a few diehards. It probably won't die but it will become something very niche, like showjumping
    On the contrary. Golf courses have a very important role in providing somewhere to take the Scottish dug for a walk, and let it defecate in shelter from the wind in the bunker while one admires the scenery. They will survive for many decades yet.
    On 'dugs', an anecdote... An eminent pair of statisticians through the late twentieth century were Doug Altman and Martin Bland, who wrote a number of very influential papers together (the latter of my acquaintance and still very much alive; the former died in 2018). A Scottish colleague commented to another (English) colleague something along the lines of 'have you heard? Martin's Doug has died.' English colleague, knowing her pronunciation of 'dog' (and a dog lover himself) apparently went through the day thinking 'that's sad, I didn't even know Martin had a dog'. He later asked another colleague what type of dog Bland had had, much to that colleague's confusion.
  • Options

It was a calculated attempt to take out Hamilton because Max Verstappen is a dangerous twat a cynical bastard and leading the championship.

But for the halo Hamilton would have been dead. Even with it he was extremely fortunate. It was not a large mistake by Verstappen but it was an extremely dangerous one.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,490
    edited September 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

At the risk of making this worse.
    I can see her wearing red with blue trim. 2 of the colours of Romania, sure. But 2 of the UK too.
    To be implying Romania there'd need to be yellow. That's what I associate the Romanian football and rugby team with.

Yellow visor, DD.
    Ah. OK. I really didn’t notice. But I am famously unobservant.
    Maybe this kind of thing is why Wimbledon insists on white.?
    Part of it, I think, yes. I did notice her outfit, also her opponent's, and I was happy with both of them, but I didn't make a connection with the Romanian flag. Then again, although I'm no flags ignoramus, I don't have a good mental picture of theirs.
    I certainly noticed that her outfit matched the colours of the Romanian flag, but I didn't really think anything of it beyond that. I've never understood the need that some people have to force everyone into some kind of bland monocultual straight-jacket, identity wise. Where we live, and where Raducanu lives, it's quite normal for kids to have a range of identities reflecting the heritage of their parents. It doesn't stop them being British. I think the Tebbit test types just feel threatened by these more cosmopolitan people in their midst, maybe a bit jealous?
    It is nice to see the public embracing people like Raducanu but if they accept her as British why are we still deporting "foreign" people who have lived here since they were babies? So much of the debate on these issues is so totally divorced from the reality I see around me every time I drop my kids at school. Maybe London is just another country. I'm sick of living under rules made by people who don't seem to understand or even like the country we are now.
    A strong 'yay' to that. To me, living for 40 years in London, the most ethnically diverse place in the country, 'multiculturalism' isn't a theory, or some plot/experiment designed to undermine our traditional values and way of life, it's simply an organic fact; lots of people with family origins, recent or less recent, in different parts of the world, or in the rest of the UK, a mosaic of identities, all living in the same city, no big problem, no big deal. It feels natural. The opposite - 'monoculturalism' - is what feels weird to me.
    Yes, I live in a pretty monocultural area, nearly all of whom seem pleasant people, not all of them as wealthy as people think about Surrey - but I do miss London and Nottingham for just that reason - it feels OK, but a bit two-dimensional.
    Here's not the most diverse place in the world - though gradually becoming more so.

But today I've learnt to pronounce a very Polish name from a house buyer: Skrzyniarz .

How do the Blackfield & Langley football fans cope with singing about Amadeusz Skrzyniarz?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,561
    edited September 2021
    maaarsh said:

19,900 cases in England, down from 27,000 last Sunday - fall is accelerating right when it was supposed to be going wrong.

Maybe that elusive herd immunity has finally materialised.
  • Options
    isam said:

Like banging on about her attire, and projecting on whether it reflect her feelings of nationality?

Now we have a 18 year old player as great as #EmmaRaducanu , let’s look after her. When tabloid papers, TV or radio start doing stories about her that are not about her tennis, boycott them.

Quite an amusing tweet in that thread:

Not all Brits are afraid of a US court
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Andy_JS said:

maaarsh said:

Maybe that elusive herd immunity has finally materialised.
    Looks like we got somewhere decent 2-3 weeks ago, masked in the middle by the schools testing surge. Take schools testing and the Euros out and we've had a steady but declining rise turn in to a slowly (but ever quicker) accelerating fall.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    isam said:

I do find it ridiculous when people try to use individual examples as "proof" of the effects of immigration one way or another, when we have more than a half million immigrants coming to the country each year.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
  • Options
    Labour has warned that there is “more work to do” to build tolerance in Scotland after a poll found more than twice as many voters would regard increased immigration from Muslim countries as bad for the country rather than a good thing.

The latest Panelbase survey for The Sunday Times found that about one in five (19 per cent) believe that the possibility of about 10,000 people from majority Muslim countries into Scotland each year for the next five years would be a positive development. However, 44 per cent said they would view it negatively while 37 per cent would consider it to be neither negative nor positive.

https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1436985704689569796?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

The levelling up is devolved.
  • Options

Labour has warned that there is “more work to do” to build tolerance in Scotland after a poll found more than twice as many voters would regard increased immigration from Muslim countries as bad for the country rather than a good thing.

The latest Panelbase survey for The Sunday Times found that about one in five (19 per cent) believe that the possibility of about 10,000 people from majority Muslim countries into Scotland each year for the next five years would be a positive development. However, 44 per cent said they would view it negatively while 37 per cent would consider it to be neither negative nor positive.

https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1436985704689569796?s=20

"Could we be out of touch? No, it's the voters that are in the wrong."
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Delicious if true

When asked if Piers Morgan's views had encouraged her, Emma replied
    "Sorry, I don't know who she is."

https://twitter.com/clooky/status/1437029209428398081?s=20

Someone find the video.
    Incredibly, he seems to be claiming he played a part in her victory by driving her on.
    Its just more of the same old shit...this mid life crisis that we see a number of high profile individuals are clearly having and results in spending too much time on twitter crowbarring themselves into everything.

Gary Lineker will be making it about diversity / Brexit, Moron about himself, Fox something about wokeness, Gary Neville something about how terrible the government are.
    It's not "mid life crises" - it happens to young people as well - it is a function of social media itself. Especially Twitter.

Getting likes and retweets is a dopamine hit. Getting 100,000 retweets is a massive dopamine hit. The world agrees with you, instantly!

This is addictive. You want, no, crave, more of the same. So you tweet about anything, and everything, you end up in absurd arguments, but you still get that hit of approval from your 300,000 followers.

It is tragic to watch highly intelligent people frittering away their actual lives on pointless meaningless opining which will be forgotten 2 minutes later (unless they get it wrong and get cancelled)

Twitter is almost pure toxin. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to engage with it, but do so with extreme caution
    I think my point about it being a midlife crisis is they aren't some spotty teenager in their bedroom looking for any validation. They have fallen down this slippery slope as clearly being extremely wealthy famous connected individuals and that isn't enough.

Back in the days that meant buying a penis extensive sports car, a motorbike or having an affair / getting divorced for a younger lover....now its the retweets / likes.
    I would say the problem Sean describes is worse among young people than middle aged people. Their brains are still in formation so the rewiring from the dopamine addiction is more dangerous. The issue with older people is that they often aren't as good at having a bullshit detector for unreliable sources.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

One might think so - but this chap seems to know better: "with the levelling up fund worth £4.8 billion – to be spent across the whole of Britain – England, Scotland and Wales ..."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-prime-ministers-levelling-up-speech-15-july-2021

Not sure why not NI, though?
  • Options
    Unless I’m very much mistaken, the Chief Whip
    @Mark_Spencer
    just walked into No 10.

Plus Director of Communications Jack Doyle has now also arrived.

Strange for a Sunday afternoon…Eyes

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1437072810292269068
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, thanks.

I must admit, early on I was feeling confident one of them would be 2nd, but then thought Hamilton and Verstappen would be top two again.

Had a stroke of luck, but I shan't complain about that.
  • Options

Yep, and Damon knows what a professional foul in motor racing looks like.

Halo did its job again today, Lewis might well have been hit on the head by Max’s car without it.
  • Options
    England cases down over 7,000 vs last week

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1437073525844717572?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    What a race, so happy to see the McLaren back where it belongs.

Good tip on Riccardo earlier today from @Sandpit, I got on both McLarens after P1 when it looked like Norris could be in the race for pole. Sadly didn't get the each way so only got paid out on Dan, not complaining though!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Aslan said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

One might think so - but this chap seems to know better: "with the levelling up fund worth £4.8 billion – to be spent across the whole of Britain – England, Scotland and Wales ..."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-prime-ministers-levelling-up-speech-15-july-2021

Not sure why not NI, though?
    Presumably because NI has a ridiculous enough subsidy as it is.
  • Options

Damon Hill would know about that.

Australia 1994.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Herd. Immunity.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

Unless I’m very much mistaken, the Chief Whip
    @Mark_Spencer
    just walked into No 10.

Plus Director of Communications Jack Doyle has now also arrived.

Strange for a Sunday afternoon…Eyes

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1437072810292269068

What could this mean?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What a race, so happy to see the McLaren back where it belongs.

Good tip on Riccardo earlier today from @Sandpit, I got on both McLarens after P1 when it looked like Norris could be in the race for pole. Sadly didn't get the each way so only got paid out on Dan, not complaining though!

Think it is @Morris_Dancer who deserves the credit for the Ricciardo tip.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited September 2021
    DavidL said:

But for the halo Hamilton would have been dead. Even with it he was extremely fortunate. It was not a large mistake by Verstappen but it was an extremely dangerous one.
    Mistake? He has zero steering angle at the collision. It looks like he didn't even try and steer out of it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.