Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The polling tide turning for the Tories? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2021 in General
imageThe polling tide turning for the Tories? – politicalbetting.com

Last night’s Redfield poll followed a week when the Tory lead was getting narrower and could suggest that things might be changing. As can be seen the CON lead went up to 7% compared with 4% the week before. The big thing about that poll was another very good share, 11%, for the LDs which compares with the 6% from Deltapoll only a few days before.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Memories fading of Boris last idiocy (the attempt to avoid self isolation).

But there will certainly be more to come - Boris rarely learns from his mistakes.

There's also the improving covid situation - this should help the Conservatives for the next few months especially if things deteriorate in USA, Australia and parts of Europe.
  • I'd be wary of comparing the other parties from one pollster to another.

For R&W the LibDems have been on 11%, 9%, 10% and 12% in the last four polls - so pretty stable.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,300
    I tend to ignore the 'horse race' poll numbers outside the runup to a confirmed election. being August I'd not trust the polls either. Nothing to see until the end of the conference season but I'll not be looking for some time.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited August 2021
    The latest Redfield poll would be an exact repeat of their 1992 voteshares for the Tories and Labour (Davey's LDs would actually be down 5% on what Ashdown got).

So Starmer would have helped Labour to something of a recovery as Kinnock did then but Labour would still be seeking their Blair or Smith to actually build a clear enough poll lead to return to power with any prospect of a majority.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Just watched the crash. That Danish rider has 100% got a case of roid rage.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    How tiny are these gymnasts for the beam ?!

Biles is 4'8 and she's about average height amongst them with some even shorter than her. Must be easier to flip and balance when you need a booster seat for the car.
    MaxPB said:

Still no official result though. There's no more races in the velodrome today so they have a few hours to determine the outcome.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    I'm old enough to remember when governments were obsessed with optics.

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Divvie, I'm shocked to see a green enthusiast being hypocritical on transport.

Shocked, I tell thee!
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Model 3LR is 360+ miles. What the fuck is she on about?

Or is this an exciting new front in the culture war?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Allegra is having a nightmare.
    This is hot on the heels of the “vote green” story.

Somebody has it in for her, I reckon.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    A good example of how a younger population on average offers very little protection against COVID:

Mr. Walker, maybe. Maybe someone has it in for the PM's current wife, and is going for an ally.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The USA is now quite a long distance behind China in the medal table (based on golds)

Still a distance to go, but I wonder if my prediction will come true: this is the first Olympics (outside China) where China beats the USA

The US however only counts overall medals, in which they still lead China

https://www.foxsports.com/summer-olympics/standings
    Not sure they've always done that. Nations seem to do it only when it benefits them - china did so last time so theyd be above us, but I bet they dont this time if it means the US is above them.

Mr. Walker, maybe. Maybe someone has it in for the PM's current wife, and is going for an ally.

Maybe.
    Though for some reason - just intuition - I feel like Allegra is no longer in favour at the court.
    It’s good to see the LDs hit the heady heights of 12% mid-term.

It’s all a C&A bounce, I reckon, as angry southern Remainers realise they are still a viable vehicle.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The USA is now quite a long distance behind China in the medal table (based on golds)

Still a distance to go, but I wonder if my prediction will come true: this is the first Olympics (outside China) where China beats the USA

Not sure they've always done that. Nations seem to do it only when it benefits them - china did so last time so theyd be above us, but I bet they dont this time if it means the US is above them.
    They certainly have since Beijing 2008 I don't remember before but I think it's the way that they've always done it.
  • spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

They certainly have since Beijing 2008 I don't remember before but I think it's the way that they've always done it.
    China has drawn level on total medals: 66 each.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836709
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited August 2021

It's self-sabotage. Her diesel is apparently third-hand, so she could tell a reasonable story about looking forward to buying an electric car, but not wanting to junk a car that's still functioning - because of the resources used when making it.

Instead she sounds like the rest of the government - we want you to buy electric cars, but they're not good enough for me.
    tlg86 said:

A good example of how a younger population on average offers very little protection against COVID:

Except the vaccination rate in Surrey is far higher now than in Newham, so more a case of a younger population of unvaccinated people offers very little protection against Covid compared to an older population of vaccinated people
    spudgfsh said:

MaxPB said:

Still no official result though. There's no more races in the velodrome today so they have a few hours to determine the outcome.
    just gone through on the official page. GB relegated to the 7/8 place race
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Interesting background to London flooding:

The problem is exacerbated by the way London has developed. For decades, its water table was artificially suppressed by factories tapping it. Deindustrialisation means it has been rising again since the 1980s.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2021/07/31/londons-flooding-is-sure-to-worsen
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Except the vaccination rate in Surrey is far higher now than in Newham, so more a case of a younger population of unvaccinated people offers very little protection against Covid compared to an older population of vaccinated people
    Look at the dates.

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On total medals GB now 3rd in the world behind China and the US who are joint top and Russian Olympic Committee who are second
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

I have some sympathy on this, having recently thought long and hard about buying an electric car but ultimately opting for a Ulez-compliant diesel. If she was after a seven seater car like I was then her only option would have been the Tesla Model X (around £50k second hand). I hope my next car will be electric though, I have high hopes for the Model Y. On street charging needs to be improved significantly too.
    If I was a climate spokesperson I might have just sucked it up and gone electric (although there are plenty of green issues with electric cars too).

It's self-sabotage. Her diesel is apparently third-hand, so she could tell a reasonable story about looking forward to buying an electric car, but not wanting to junk a car that's still functioning - because of the resources used when making it.

Instead she sounds like the rest of the government - we want you to buy electric cars, but they're not good enough for me.
    The other thing this tiny little story tells me is that we are not - as a population - in any way psychologically ready for net zero.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Fascinating. Thanks for posting.
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    It includes January and February and March 2021 when the over 60s were being prioritised for vaccination
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

MaxPB said:

Seems harsh. Looked like the British rider was following the rules.
    I was reading about semi conductors on the weekend.

Does anyone know why we allowed the sell-off of the Newport Wafer Fabricator to the Chinese?

The other thing this tiny little story tells me is that we are not - as a population - in any way psychologically ready for net zero.
    Yep. @Dura's 360 mile travelling Model 3LR costs £50k and @OnlyLivingBoy mentioned another second hand model for the same money. Add to that trying to charge it if you are on the 15th floor of Trellick Tower and so forth, and we really have a challenge ahead of us.
    Mr. Walker, aye. But the PM (and his green enthusiast wife) are very into it.

And if recent history's taught us anything, it's that the PM's capacity for far-sighted strategic thinking (or even contemplating the immediate consequences of his actions) is not spectacular.
    HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On total medals GB now 3rd in the world behind China and the US who are joint top and Russian Olympic Committee who are second
    Even on Olympic medal stats, you need to read HYUFD’s posts twice to make sure you’ve found the mendacious bit.
    Quiz for today, name as many of them as possible. Thought that was Nigel Kennedy on the left but it is of course the one and only Johnnie Fingers, Aled Jones on the right, Midge Ure looks like he's got something very naughty under his Royal Stewart and I assume George Michael is the ruddy faced scaffolder behind Geldof.

• eekeek Posts: 24,797

Does anyone know why we allowed the sell-off of the Newport Wafer Fabricator to the Chinese?

Ancient tech ...
  • HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

PB pedantry but important for settling bets: China & USA are joint first but they are also joint second; Russia-ish is therefore third and Team GB fourth.

1= China
    1= USA
    3 not-Russia
    4 Great Britain
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    It includes January and February and March 2021 when the over 60s were being prioritised for vaccination
    Yes, but it takes time to take effect and the point isn't the Woking figures that matter - they're relatively low because lockdown was working there - it's the figures for Newham in January that tell the story.
    eek said:

Ancient tech ...
    Thanks. I assumed this was the case.

Imagine if we decided to spend x billion building up a semiconductor industry in South Wales, though.

I’d support Boris is he was for these kind of heroic industrial missions, instead of touting impossible bridges.
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    Yes, but it takes time to take effect and the point isn't the Woking figures that matter - they're relatively low because lockdown was working there - it's the figures for Newham in January that tell the story.
    In late December and early to mid January it was over 80s and those in care homes being prioritised for vaccination and they have the highest death rate by age. Once they were done socioeconomic factors and the high concentration of people in the inner city meant Newham overtook Woking on deaths as the higher proportion of elderly in Woking was less significant
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    In late December and early to mid January it was over 80s and those in care homes being prioritised for vaccination and they have the highest death rate by age. Once they were done socioeconomic factors and the high concentration of people in the inner city meant Newham overtook Woking on deaths as the higher proportion of elderly in Woking was less significant
    How do you explain that COVID deaths in St Johns were higher in both February and March than January?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

I have some sympathy on this, having recently thought long and hard about buying an electric car but ultimately opting for a Ulez-compliant diesel. If she was after a seven seater car like I was then her only option would have been the Tesla Model X (around £50k second hand). I hope my next car will be electric though, I have high hopes for the Model Y. On street charging needs to be improved significantly too.
    If I was a climate spokesperson I might have just sucked it up and gone electric (although there are plenty of green issues with electric cars too).
    Indeed. My mechanical engineering prof colleague is livid about the about face on diesel cars, after he bought a new Mercedes a few years ago, that was top speck for emissions etc, but now finds he can't drive into Bath in it without paying nine quid a go...
  • The Chinese 16yo gold medallist Chenchen Guan seems to have knocked back half a bottle of vodka since dismounting. She almost fell backwards into her flag and is being manhandled into position for the cameras. Then she almost forgot to collect her medal.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Pulpstar said:

How tiny are these gymnasts for the beam ?!

Biles is 4'8 and she's about average height amongst them with some even shorter than her. Must be easier to flip and balance when you need a booster seat for the car.

Just as they have weightlifting for different sizes of people, perhaps so they should for gymnastics. I would certainly tune in to watch the superfat tumbling.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Yep. Planting stories in the press.

Quiz for today, name as many of them as possible. Thought that was Nigel Kennedy on the left but it is of course the one and only Johnnie Fingers, Aled Jones on the right, Midge Ure looks like he's got something very naughty under his Royal Stewart and I assume George Michael is the ruddy faced scaffolder behind Geldof.

The Bowie cool is quite strong there.

Indeed. My mechanical engineering prof colleague is livid about the about face on diesel cars, after he bought a new Mercedes a few years ago, that was top speck for emissions etc, but now finds he can't drive into Bath in it without paying nine quid a go...
    There is a speadsheet to be created here which is money saved on non-ULEZ compliant car vs extra charges incurred by paying ULEZ fees. As an existing owner the marginal cost of the charge should be seen against taking public transport (after all the aim of the charge in the first place).
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,088
    LOL at the National.

Cycling collision in Olympic Heat when Danish rider rides into GB Team Member.

National headline:

"BBC apologise as cyclist Frederik Madsen shouts 'f*** them' during morning coverage"
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/19486911.bbc-apologise-cyclist-frederik-madsen-shouts-f-them-morning-coverage/

Niche market, chaps?
  • kinabalu said:

Who is planting stories against Allegra Stratton and why do they bother? The Green Party gaffe came in a press interview, and her car will have been seen by any number of people. No plants needed.
    MrEd said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

MaxPB said:

I don't fully understand the rules but the fact that the Dane wasn't looking where he was going should have had an impact. F1 would have called it a 'Racing incident'
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    How do you explain that COVID deaths in St Johns were higher in both February and March than January?
    As plenty of over 80s who caught Covid in December or early January would have got it before being vaccinated or before the vaccines take full effect (which is generally a few weeks). The Case rates which peaked in December, early January would only have led to deaths in late January or February or even March

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    As plenty of over 80s who caught Covid in December or early January would have got it before being vaccinated or before the vaccines take full effect (which is generally a few weeks). The Case rates which peaked in December, early January would only have led to deaths in February or March

So how do you explain the spike in the Newham ward in January?
    kinabalu said:

The morass of uncool in which he's embedded may accentuate it of course..
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    MattW said:

LOL at the National.

Cycling collision in Olympic Heat when Danish rider rides into GB Team Member.

National headline:

"BBC apologise as cyclist Frederik Madsen shouts 'f*** them' during morning coverage"
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/19486911.bbc-apologise-cyclist-frederik-madsen-shouts-f-them-morning-coverage/

Niche market, chaps?

Not specific to the National. See its Unionist stablemate:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19487058.tokyo-bbc-apologise-cyclist-frederik-madsen-shouts-f-them-team-gb-crash/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.
    As plenty of over 80s who caught Covid in December or early January would have got it before being vaccinated or before the vaccines take full effect (which is generally a few weeks). The Case rates which peaked in December, early January would only have led to deaths in February or March

The OAP Brexiters caught it when working patriotically to export sprouts to Anzac?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    spudgfsh said:

MrEd said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

MaxPB said:

I don't fully understand the rules but the fact that the Dane wasn't looking where he was going should have had an impact. F1 would have called it a 'Racing incident'
    I think it's right the Danes went through, but the British team should have had another go to post a bronze contention time.
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Look at the dates.

High case rates like Woking but fewer vaccinated even by mid January than Woking, given most over 80s had been vaccinated by mid January
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,256
    Jesus that Chinese gymnast girl is 16. How can you do that stuff so young?

My daughters are about the same age and can barely get out of bed to look at their phones

kinabalu said:

Amazing to see the young Michael Gove there, next to Bowie.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Because it was obsolete and fairly irrelevant.
    We gave up on wafer fabs many, many years ago.

If they do anything useful with it, perhaps we could nick some tech off them...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Here's some good news:

"Greggs to create 500 jobs as it plans 100 more stores"

Flaked parmesan over a steak bake anyone?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Anyone else tired of this constant stream of 'good news for the government' headers today? :wink:

If there's anything in this apart from noise I suspect it's negativity towards the government for cocking up and causing the massive spike in Covid cases followed by positivity as it turns out they were sensible afterall as cases go down. Plus this isolatio shambles too, of course, but not sure how many normal people noticed that.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Leon said:

My daughters are about the same age and can barely get out of bed to look at their phones

Being China, do you think she has much choice about it?
    kinabalu said:

A rather tragic photo, too, given what happened to the Geldofs

eek said:

Ancient tech ...
    Thanks. I assumed this was the case.

Imagine if we decided to spend x billion building up a semiconductor industry in South Wales, though.

I’d support Boris is he was for these kind of heroic industrial missions, instead of touting impossible bridges.
    X0 billion.
    Or even X00.

Leon said:

Being China, do you think she has much choice about it?
    Almost certainly not, but nonetheless: bloody hell. She also looked endearingly stunned by her gold
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Nigelb said:

Because it was obsolete and fairly irrelevant.
    We gave up on wafer fabs many, many years ago.

If they do anything useful with it, perhaps we could nick some tech off them...
    That is interesting and cheers for the insight. A lot of the noise in the papers has been about "how can you sell this to the Chinese?". Good to know that is not the case.

kinabalu said:

Who is planting stories against Allegra Stratton and why do they bother? The Green Party gaffe came in a press interview, and her car will have been seen by any number of people. No plants needed.
    Yes, sorry, just a sly Bob Dylan ref. :smile:

It's a line from a song he wrote about Boris Johnson - Idiot Wind.

"Blowing every time you move your mouth. Blowing down the back roads, heading South."

Here's some good news:

Low productivity jobs for low productivity customers.

(Ducks).
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    TOPPING said:

There is a speadsheet to be created here which is money saved on non-ULEZ compliant car vs extra charges incurred by paying ULEZ fees. As an existing owner the marginal cost of the charge should be seen against taking public transport (after all the aim of the charge in the first place).
    I live inside the expanded ULEZ so no spreadsheet was required. I agree with the extension, incidentally, even if I did have to fork out for a new (second hand) motor as a result.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Apologies if already posted.

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1h
    Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 48.1% (-6.1)
    No: 51.9% (+6.1)

via @BritainElects
    poll tracker, 24 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 13 Jan
    Note to @edmundintokyo from last thread - did not mean to imply that you personally were 'playing games', if that's how it read.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

Here's some good news:

(Ducks).
    I thought that civil servants were more Pret than Greggs.
    China is now 10 golds ahead of the USA, and equal on total medals

I think my prediction will come true: China is going to beat America for the first time (apart from Beijing)

kinabalu said:

Yes, that's very much the case. Paula looks ok and that's about it.
    felix said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1h

via @BritainElects
    poll tracker, 24 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 13 Jan

52/48

LOL

But that's a huge shift to NO. Good luck to Ms Sturgeon launching her fierce new drive for an indyref2 which she has absolutely no intention of holding
    felix said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1h

via @BritainElects
    poll tracker, 24 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 13 Jan

It is not that long since such a poll would have induced blind panic in Unionists.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    I think it was OGH who wrote a thread about US medal tally at these olympics. Looks like that was a good bet.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Here's some good news:

(Ducks).
    5 workers per store isn't low productivity - but it's a low margin good.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    I note with some dismay, but little surprise, that certain PBers have reverted to their favourite pastime of trashing the vaccine, on the earlier thread.

Same shit, different day.
    Leon said:

The beam is the gymnastics skill I find the most mindblowing. The others I can just about imagine doing really really badly after years and years of practice, but that one, no. Not possible.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Never trust a man over 35 with “romantic long hair”.

I'm reminded of this:

kinabalu said:

Amazing to see the young Michael Gove there, next to Bowie.
    Snorting coke off rent boys' ****s later that night, no doubt.

kinabalu said:

Only the Thin White Duke could get away with that garb for a wedding.
    edited August 2021

felix said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1h

via @BritainElects
    poll tracker, 24 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 13 Jan

It is not that long since such a poll would have induced blind panic in Unionists.
    Pre Brexit maybe, post Brexit in a country which voted 62% Remain for Yes to be only 3% higher than it got in 2014 is a great poll for Unionists and a disaster for Sturgeon

TOPPING said:

I live inside the expanded ULEZ so no spreadsheet was required. I agree with the extension, incidentally, even if I did have to fork out for a new (second hand) motor as a result.
    I don't like this topic. Old Merc looks doomed. Still not decided how to play things. Not thinking about it. Head in sand.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The beam is the gymnastics skill I find the most mindblowing. The others I can just about imagine doing really really badly after years and years of practice, but that one, no. Not possible.
    Yes, agreed

It's the balance, and fearlessness. And the jumping. And the splits. OK everything

Sometimes the floor is quite inexplicable as well. How can a human leap that high?!
    Leon said:

There's a strong legacy of this stuff in China:

As is now legend, Jackie Chan began his martial arts career at a young age when he was enrolled at the China Drama Academy in 1960 at age six. This was a Peking Opera school run by Yu Jim-yuen. His parents were so poor they offered to sell him as a baby. This was one way they could afford to keep him. Peking opera is a flamboyant and acrobatic stage show that includes martial arts, gymnastics, singing, and elaborate makeup and costumes. It requires extreme precision and performance from its artists, and the China Dram Academy was rigorous in extracting it. When Jackie first signed up for the school, his parents had to sign a waver that permitted the school to discipline him, “even to death."

Jackie had been excited to join the academy and had encouraged his parents to make the decision. But pretty soon he realized just what a rigorous and punishing regime he would live through for the next decade and a half. Students slept on the floor and began training at 5am, starting with jogging, painful stretching, kung fu, and head balancing. Rule breaking was met with caning, and pupils weren’t allowed to use the toilet during training, as they were expected to sweat it out. If they needed the toilet, they hadn’t been training hard enough! They sustained themselves on bowls of congee for breakfast – essentially porridge – and soup and tofu for lunch. Flips were learned on the hard floor with no nets or pads. If you were sick or hurt, it was seen as an attempt to get out of training. Yu said “if you can move, you can fly.”

• QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Taz said:

I think it was OGH who wrote a thread about US medal tally at these olympics. Looks like that was a good bet.

For the record: It was me, but I also wrote a second thread saying I thought my logic was superficial. So I'm not sure how much credit I'm entitled to. I also said that the US to win most golds at 1/8 was 'arguably value' (though I didn't tip it, and did tip them getting under 113 medals overall).

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/07/24/olympic-over-unders-the-usa-might-be-overrated/

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/07/31/my-last-bet-was-stupid-win-or-lose/

edited August 2021
    Leon said:

I think my prediction will come true: China is going to beat America for the first time (apart from Beijing)

Given China has 4 times the population of the USA the surprise is more the US ever beat China in the first place.

All things being equal population wise China should always top the Olympics medal table, India should be 2nd and the US 3rd so the US is still punching above its weight.

It is India still doing very poorly in the non cricket sporting arena even as it grows economically
  • Leon said:

There are 1.4 billion people in China. Let's make the unlikely assumption there are equal numbers of each age up to 70. That 1.4bn/70 gives 20 million at each age, of whom half will be female. So that is 10 million Chinese girls starting school every year.

Then just have the PE teachers scan them for any sign of talent at handstands and send the best ones for training. Likewise runners, exceptionally tall kids and so on.

Lots of countries do more-or-less this but China has more people to start with, and the authority to organise it centrally rather than rely on scouts hoping for a cut of a future star's wages. Lionel Messi was recruited by Barcelona from his Argentinian side at the age of 13. In Britain, going to the right school helps! Private schools have great facilities and professional coaches; some comprehensives might have excellent teachers with the right contacts. David Beckham and Harry Kane went to the same school, for instance. Many footballers have praised their teachers.
    edited August 2021
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Only the Thin White Duke could get away with that garb for a wedding.
    Socks disappointingly wrinkled mind. I can see a case for those American suspender things to hold up his Pantherellas just for the photo, then whip em off for the Birdy Song etc.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited August 2021
    Taz said:

@Quincel iirc. Twice.

ETA ah, the author has replied with links.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Given China has 4 times the population of the USA the surprise is more the US ever beat China in the first place.

All things being equal population wise China should always top the Olympics medal table, India should be 2nd and the US 3rd so the US is still punching above its weight.

It is India still doing very poorly in the non cricket sporting arena even as it grows economically
    The Germans are advancing, ominously. Up to 7th with 8 golds

But TeamGB are just one gold from overtaking Oz

Quite exciting

Selebian said:

Anyone else tired of this constant stream of 'good news for the government' headers today? :wink:

If there's anything in this apart from noise I suspect it's negativity towards the government for cocking up and causing the massive spike in Covid cases followed by positivity as it turns out they were sensible afterall as cases go down. Plus this isolatio shambles too, of course, but not sure how many normal people noticed that.

The big picture is the decision to go ahead with 19th July was correct - so perhaps some credit coming through for that.
This discussion has been closed.