Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some very encouraging polling worldwide and especially in the UK – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,837
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

On preferred London locales, I am happy to say that - prisons aside (I was innocent, so it seems fair) - I have only lived in a "1"

ie a postcode ending in "1"

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

I'd quite like to try SW1 and S1 but there isn't an S1 (why?)

From a postcode perspective (and including my current London flat), I've lived in:

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

So, that's a pretty similar list.
    Seems I'm the only person here with a big London spread, posh and not. North and South. Inner and outer.

I've also done a cell but only at the station so Leon wins that one.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited July 2021
    I wonder if those polled were slightly biased towards those willing to be vaccinated.

Or that some people said that they're willing to be vaccinated but actually aren't or at least not yet.

The Polish number looks rather at odds with the number actually vaccinated.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    Will this be the life of a smartphone user in early 2022, during the hectic race for herd immunity against the koppa (ϙ) and digamma (ϝ) variants?

1) At any given moment you have a real-time Personal Infection Risk Score (PIRS) calculated from data on who you have been near (your "proxims"); how near; whether you or they are vaccinated or not, and if so, how many boosters you and they have had, and when; how much time you have spent in crowded spaces ("socspaces") recently; etc.

All vaccinated people to start with scores no higher than 10, maybe to rise to a maximum of 25 if they test positive for koppa or digamma. Unvaccinated people ("unvees") to start on at least 100. (The absence of scores between 26 and 99 inclusive was agreed following a Nudge Unit report on the need for "safe blue water", because "you can't be half-vaxed".)

2) For the unvees, shopping malls will become "hostile environments" or "hosments": doors won't open for those with PIRSes of 200+. In supermarkets, 200-279s will be barred between 8am and 5pm and between 6pm and 11pm; 280-pluses between 9am and midnight. Detailed rules to do with numbers will be introduced anyway, because political types gotta have something to argue about. Checkout operators working between 5pm and 6pm will be "given the right" to wear full CBRN suits, after a powerful campaign by the Sun, Daily Mail, and Daily Express under the banner of "Protect our frontline heroes".

3) On the phone of a vaccinated person, warning messages like this will be liable to appear: "Unvee male, 1.4 metres directly ahead, infection risk score in 200-300 range. [Note: data will be imprecise so as to comply with data protection law.] Press red 'NHS' button on phone within 72 hours if you experience any of the following symptoms: headache, runny nose, cough, or a strange feeling that one of your unvee proxims today was iller than the NHS knows about. All information received in strict confidentiality."

If the red button is pressed, then the unvee's PIRS will change from x to (1.25x + 37), except if they are aged 18-23 and on their way to a nightclub, in which case it will change to (1.37x + 25).

This kind of thing is almost a dead cert. It's how many websites work already. Those familiar with Stanley Milgram's electroshock experiment, or the Stanford Prison Experiment, will recognise the principles. This is "social media flagging", squared.

4) Heard among certain less-than-woke police officers: "We've got some 300-pluses on the next block, and they don't look like they're going to work, har har."
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    MaxPB said:

Also, update on London night life. It felt very familiar last night. Once the dance floor opened at 11 we danced until about 3am to various music from the 80s and 90s. The place was packed, absolutely great feeling. Not so much today, though.

The live gig we saw at Southey working men's club was a full house too, and the smaller room with all the regulars busy too. Tramlines I'm guessing heaving too tbh
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    SE11
    N19
    N1
    SE10

In case anyone at all is interested…
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Thank goodness the French hesistancy was not as the polling indicated.

People who know France better than I do were always pretty sanguine about that- they expected both the initial moaning and the acceptance of the jab when offered.

Besides, the French vaccination ads are very persuasive;

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210708/france-expanding-its-sexy-advertising-campaign-for-covid-vaccines/
    France is doing well but their numbers are flattered by the number of 12-17 year olds they’re vaccinating. Their vaccination rate for older people is still lower than ours.
    It is, and that's why I prefer to use the "percent of adults" number, so as to compare like-with-like.

Worth noting, though, that France is only at about 30% of 12-17 year olds, so it probably only adds maybe two points to total "vaccinated as percent of the population".
    But that’s all been in the last few weeks so is what is propping up their first dose numbers. They might end up plateauing at the same level as Germany.
    France?

They're ahead of Germany as far as percent of adults (72%) jabbed, and they're doing more first jabs of adults per day currently.

So, I think we can reasonably assume they're not going to plateau at German levels given they're currently ahead of them.
    Are you sure?

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Thanks for calling out The Lancet and Private Eye, TSE: a reminder that their desire to provoke can outrun the truth. Maybe to be expected in a scandal rag, but less forgivable in a so-called medical journal.

That was a long time ago. I've found PE's coronavirus coverage vastly better - for instance in emphasising the wider problem of obesity, lack of execise etc (and the implications both for individuals and governments).
    I'm sure that matters, but as an emphasis, it sounds perilously close to a bad-flu type argument, blaming chubby kids and Playstation.
    It can indeed easily turn into that. But as part of a balanced perspective, it certainly has its place (and the PE medic, IIRC, was making points about government policy as well, so not just shuffling off responsibility).
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,439
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

On preferred London locales, I am happy to say that - prisons aside (I was innocent, so it seems fair) - I have only lived in a "1"

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

From a postcode perspective (and including my current London flat), I've lived in:

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

Seems I'm the only person here with a big London spread, posh and not. North and South. Inner and outer.

No cells yet but done north, south, east and central, posh to dodgy. West doesn't really appeal for some reason, partly but not wholly down to lack of value for money.
    Congrats to the PB Londoners.

This postcode talk is certainly a way of excluding outsiders from their discussion.

Suburbs I know but postcodes require wiki translation
    edited July 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

We're 5% away from that YouGov figure at the moment. It's going to take us 30-40 days to get there unless the government really ramps up the vaccine passport narrative and extends it to more everyday life places like cafés and restaurants. I actually think they should do both and get every single minister out and sell the policy of having a hard October 1st date for introducing them for restaurants, pubs, bars, cinemas, theatres, cafés, clubs, sporting venues of all sizes, gyms and anywhere else where people pay to congregate indoors. Make that 1st October date really public and shout it from the rooftops, shout at the 5m 18-39 year olds who haven't had it yet and get them to do it ASAP.

It's a really shitty way of doing it but we need a way to break the last 10% and get to 96-98% of adults. There's just too much inertia among the under 40s who will get it "one day" but won't define when "one day" actually is but they actually don't mind getting it done.

Not restaurants, pubs, cafes and bars for the simple reason that most of them do not have door staff and if people are just walking into the building then there's no way to really check the ID at that point.

Anywhere that door staff or ticketing is another question. That could certainly from your list include cinemas, theatres, clubs, venues, gyms etc

I'm against Covid Passports in principle but I'm so fed up with antivaxxers that I think screw them for one winter. Lets bring this in, with a one winter sunset clause, and lockup antivaxxers not the nation.

@Gnud of this site referring to "antivaxx" as Hate Speech and holding up Andrew Wakefield as a positive example has really pissed me off: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3498387#Comment_3498387 - this is the kind of BS that sane people are having to deal with.
    Ultimately the policy isn't about actually having them it's about getting people into the vaccination centres. If we get to 96% of adults then there's no need for them.
    True but if the policy isn't implementable then it won't drive people forwards since you'll just get arguments and retreat from the policy.

Make it so that any premise with door staff or ticketed entry requires them to check vaxport status, with a sunset clause for Spring 2021.
    It's easy to implement, make it presentabile on payment and incorporate the QR scan into POS systems. As I said, it's a completely awful idea and horrible way to live, however, we need to get another 4.3m people vaccinated in the UK and it will need some pretty tough measures to achieve.
    How about some TV ads and billboards?
    Hire the people behind the 'Don't die of ignorance' AIDS campaign.
    They might be dead by now. Or happily retired.

But it's certainly a memory of mine, that the AIDS campaign by Gmt was far better than this one, once the Gmt got off their rocky start about it being a self-inflicted gay disease. That is a reflection I've had periodically over the last year and a bit, so it's not just youyr comment (and shows your comment's brilliance).
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

This postcode talk is certainly a way of excluding outsiders from their discussion.

In general (but not always) the lower the number the closer to the centre.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

I've been arrested/detained by three different types of [sort of] police in Britain.

I'll eat an extra slice of tomorrow's birthday cake for whoever can think of the three different types.
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

We're 5% away from that YouGov figure at the moment. It's going to take us 30-40 days to get there unless the government really ramps up the vaccine passport narrative and extends it to more everyday life places like cafés and restaurants. I actually think they should do both and get every single minister out and sell the policy of having a hard October 1st date for introducing them for restaurants, pubs, bars, cinemas, theatres, cafés, clubs, sporting venues of all sizes, gyms and anywhere else where people pay to congregate indoors. Make that 1st October date really public and shout it from the rooftops, shout at the 5m 18-39 year olds who haven't had it yet and get them to do it ASAP.

It's a really shitty way of doing it but we need a way to break the last 10% and get to 96-98% of adults. There's just too much inertia among the under 40s who will get it "one day" but won't define when "one day" actually is but they actually don't mind getting it done.

Not restaurants, pubs, cafes and bars for the simple reason that most of them do not have door staff and if people are just walking into the building then there's no way to really check the ID at that point.

Anywhere that door staff or ticketing is another question. That could certainly from your list include cinemas, theatres, clubs, venues, gyms etc

I'm against Covid Passports in principle but I'm so fed up with antivaxxers that I think screw them for one winter. Lets bring this in, with a one winter sunset clause, and lockup antivaxxers not the nation.

@Gnud of this site referring to "antivaxx" as Hate Speech and holding up Andrew Wakefield as a positive example has really pissed me off: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3498387#Comment_3498387 - this is the kind of BS that sane people are having to deal with.
    Ultimately the policy isn't about actually having them it's about getting people into the vaccination centres. If we get to 96% of adults then there's no need for them.
    True but if the policy isn't implementable then it won't drive people forwards since you'll just get arguments and retreat from the policy.

Make it so that any premise with door staff or ticketed entry requires them to check vaxport status, with a sunset clause for Spring 2021.
    It's easy to implement, make it presentabile on payment and incorporate the QR scan into POS systems. As I said, it's a completely awful idea and horrible way to live, however, we need to get another 4.3m people vaccinated in the UK and it will need some pretty tough measures to achieve.
    How about some TV ads and billboards?
    Hire the people behind the 'Don't die of ignorance' AIDS campaign.
    They might be dead by now. Or happily retired.

But it's certainly a memory of mine, that the AIDS campaign by Gmt was far better than this one, once the Gmt got off their rocky start about it being a self-inflicted gay disease. That is a reflection I've had periodically over the last year and a bit, so it's not just youyr comment (and shows its brilliance).
    The anti-smoking advert from the same era was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIrwW6cLCg
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

If that US figure is really true then we should be seeing a massive surge in take-up over the next few weeks. I’m doubtful...

The US is at 68% of adults with at least one dose, so doesn't that rather suggest they are approaching their limit?
    Massive levelling-off in the US. They need to find several plans to tackle the different types of unvaccinated.

Does the UAE number include quite a few vaccine tourists, who've flown in to get jabbed?
    The very high numbers might be from booster shots.
    There will be those in the autumn, but at the moment it’s a few hundred at most.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited July 2021
    Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab 'risk losing seats at election over Covid travel chaos'

PM and Foreign Secretary hold seats in constituencies with the highest number of aviation jobs threatened by No 10's border closures

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/24/boris-johnson-dominic-raab-risk-losing-seats-election-covid/

ETA another reason for Boris to stand down before the next election.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

I've been arrested/detained by three different types of [sort of] police in Britain.

I'll eat an extra slice of tomorrow's birthday cake for whoever can think of the three different types.
    British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    MaxPB said:

I agree with the header. Down in Brighton, today's data show 53.4% fully vaccinated, with 72.5% partially vaccinated. These figures are absolutely awful, are creeping up only very slowly, and don't inspire confidence. It's partly down to a relatively younger population, but also down to a lot of anti-vaxxers - not so much the anti-lockdown types, but more the tree-hugging don't want to pollute my body with chemicals (except weed, of course) types. The local council has been doing its best to run a pro-vax campaign.

So despite the 'everybody is now vaxxed' rhetoric by some, there's a long way to go in some parts of the country. It's clear that a stronger combination of carrot and stick is needed if places like Brighton are going to get to 80% or more fully vaccinated.

Just a word of caution, our local figures are based on NIMS data which overestimate population figures, especially in areas with younger and more transient populations. I really wish that the dashboard would move to ONS data rather than NIMS which they know is definitely wrong.
    Local areas should be switched to OnS2020
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727

Military
    Transport
    Westminster (City)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    tlg86 said:

Footballers as role models is taking a bit of a hit this week....we have censored underaged criminal case, ryan giggs in court for beating his partner, joey barton charged with beating his wife and now wayne rooney cheating on his wife yet again....

On the censored one, apparently the PL have been deleting fantasy teams with team names making puns on the player's name.
    On that vitally important issue, are we running a PB FF league again?

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Modplod has to fit in somehow?

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    And come to think of it there are dockyard police too.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Southern Rep voters are not taking the vaccine because Trump lost the election?

It's progress of a sort, since that sounds like they have admitted he actually lost.!
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,439

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

Normal, City of London, Transport
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

If people choose to never live in London that's their fault. Just like vaccine refuseniks. Discussions about London are the pb.com vaxport ;)
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,589
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    Civil Nuclear Constabulary
    Ministry of Defence Police
    National Police Air Service
    Well that was quick...
    New cases in Northern Ireland are continuing to increase:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=nation&areaName=Northern Ireland

This despite the schools having closed at the start of July.

I suspect that everywhere is going to get a big dollop of Delta and that schools, football, restrictions etc will only affect the rate at which infection spreads.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

UGH

You lived in a "2"
    I’m 43 and I’ve never been to London, unless you count Wembley Arena to see the Beastie Boys in 1999. I feel like I should go, my Grandad was from East Ham, but I just never seem to quite get round to it.

It's progress of a sort, since that sounds like they have admitted he actually lost.!

Though of course Trump did have the vaccine, and is under the control of Bill Gates now. Unless it was a fake, so he could go deep cover to investigate the satanic paedophiles.
    MaxPB said:

Gets a little bit complicated when you start moving outside "London but not Royal Mail London".

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    and Special (volunteers) although they are assigned to a police force
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

If President Trump had, as a man who had himself contracted Covid-19, been treated and been vaccinated, played the pandemic straight instead of pandering to conspiracy loons, he would probably still be President Trump. And he did throw money at the problem, as well as directing VP Pence to run with it. It really is very difficult to understand.
    Scott_xP said:

Military
    Transport
    Westminster (City)
    Parks
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

Royal Parks
    BTP
    Normal
    edited July 2021
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Military
    Transport
    Westminster (City)
    Parks
    yeah - top nerd marks there.Elite level in fact
    Community support officers !

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    and Special (volunteers) although they are assigned to a police force
    I thought Specials were simply part of the police farce they joined?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited July 2021

Damn, this would be so much easier if you'd been arrested by american police.
    Robert Dingwall
    @rwjdingwall
    ·
    5h
    It is time that the UK government started talking down the fear - or should we start to take some of the conspiracy theories about elite control and social credit systems more seriously? Do we have a government that is committed to liberty or do we not? (5/5)
    kle4 said:

Damn, this would be so much easier if you'd be arrested by american police.
    You'd be lucky to get to three...
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited July 2021

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    Church of England Churchwardens also have the power of arrest.

Robert Dingwall
    @rwjdingwall
    ·
    5h
    It is time that the UK government started talking down the fear - or should we start to take some of the conspiracy theories about elite control and social credit systems more seriously? Do we have a government that is committed to liberty or do we not? (5/5)

Those are not the only two options. But the answer to the last question was 'we do not' in any case.
    kle4 said:

I always liked the idea that the National Institute of Health in the US has a SWAT team.

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    dont want to get on the wrong side of them

If President Trump had, as a man who had himself contracted Covid-19, been treated and been vaccinated, played the pandemic straight instead of pandering to conspiracy loons, he would probably still be President Trump. And he did throw money at the problem, as well as directing VP Pence to run with it. It really is very difficult to understand.
    Trump preferred chaos to order.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,333
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    God, do they?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MaxPB said:

One of the very few times I can (and will, correct you).

The numeric order within a London postcode relates to alphabetical order of name of the subdistrict within the district so for example this is the City

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_postal_district

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Normal police, but not those other two.

Trump preferred chaos to order.
    Trump didn't pander to conspiracy loon. He is one. Or at best draws his "strength" from them.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

The numeric order within a London postcode relates to alphabetical order of name of the subdistrict within the district so for example this is the City

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

When did H come before B alphabeticaly?
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

Lol

kle4 said:

I always liked the idea that the National Institute of Health in the US has a SWAT team.

For heaven's sake the Government Publishing Office has its own police!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Government_Publishing_Office#GPO_Police
    We asked 100 political betting forumites to name a type of UK police force. Cannot imagine Les Dennis or Bob Monkhouse saying that on Family Fortunes
    Scott_xP said:

Military
    Transport
    Westminster (City)
    MoD Plod, yes. They have very well trained dogs.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    Defecating and urinating in the street can be and has been banned in specified areas by local authorities issuing Public Spaces Protection Orders under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Breaches of PSPOs are punishable with on-the-spot fines.

Whether Cambridge City Council can declare the sites of Cambridge colleges' May Balls to be "specified areas" is unclear.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

UGH

You lived in a "2"
    I’m 43 and I’ve never been to London, unless you count Wembley Arena to see the Beastie Boys in 1999. I feel like I should go, my Grandad was from East Ham, but I just never seem to quite get round to it.
    I think you can count that given that Wembley Arena is definitely in London. However if you have only ever seen the Beastie Boys you may not claim to have been to a concert imho
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

1 is reserved for the head sorting office of the district Is.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,333
    I have to admit to living in SL, SA, ST and RG, and AB. Good luck in identifying those areas.

:smile:
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    And then there's PB Ban Hammer Police.
  • Labour opposing the passports seems like a big moment

Labour opposing the passports seems like a big moment

Have they flipped again?

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    For some reason that reminds me of this splendid attempt at an MR James style story

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/ArchiveWatchman.html

We asked 100 political betting forumites to name a type of UK police force. Cannot imagine Les Dennis or Bob Monkhouse saying that on Family Fortunes

Anyone mentioned the old University police forces - I only know they exist because you walk past Durham's as you head towards the cathedral

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQXDs5eXHzM
    There must be a police force linked to the Palace of Westminster. They even have cells and everything.
    alex_ said:

Gnud said:

Defecating and urinating in the street can be and has been banned in specified areas by local authorities issuing Public Spaces Protection Orders under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Breaches of PSPOs are punishable with on-the-spot fines.

Whether Cambridge City Council can declare the sites of Cambridge colleges' May Balls to be "specified areas" is unclear.

The offence of "urinating in the street" is something which IMO is, or should be, easily challengeable right up to the Supreme Court. I think the basic right predates the Magna Carta under the fundamental principle of "when you've got to go you've got to go"
    It is a little known fact that the law does not apply to Golf courses . There you will find all kinds of middle to elder aged men exercising the exemption from judges to retired police superintendents
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    I didn't realise I was so far off a complete set.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

Aitch always comes before Be alphabetically.

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

W1
    WC1
    NW3
    W2
    E1

British Transport
    Nuclear Police
    Normal police
    Speshul Police Farces -

British Transport Police
    I didn't realise I was so far off a complete set.
    Also that nobody is at all curious about what you did , just about obscure police forces
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

Why would be main sorting office in the district have / be a subdistrict?

Scott_xP said:

Military
    Transport
    Westminster (City)
    MoD Plod, yes. They have very well trained dogs.
    The dogs are very useful - someone has to do the thinking....
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

The US southern states are seeing the vaccine miracle like we are here. In Louisiana and Mississippi, for example, cases are again jumping, but deaths are flatlining.

All hail the vaccine!

Oh wait, double vaccination rates are under 40 per cent in these states....oh......ummm.....er....

The US was the lab for lockdown versus no lockdown and it is the lab for vaccination.

The bodies are not piling up in these states like so many predicted on here. Talk about the end was nigh.

Well, it seems it isn't.

We have to wonder why, and we have to wonder why vaccine passports are being mandated here. Its almost like some people want everybody to be vaccinated so that these comparisons cannot be done.

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2021
    I know I'm very late in the day to mention this, but the drone "logo into rotating globe" display in the Olympic opening ceremony was very funky. Impressive.
    eek said:

Anyone mentioned the old University police forces - I only know they exist because you walk past Durham's as you head towards the cathedral
    Oh yes, Oxford and Fenland Tech.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261

Robert Dingwall
    @rwjdingwall
    ·
    5h

Er, if the elite were in control we wouldn't be hearing about demos (even loony ones) against it, would we?
    alex_ said:

There must be a police force linked to the Palace of Westminster. They even have cells and everything.

Yes, the Speaker's goons were the first of the three who held me at their pleasure. They showed me where Emmeline Pankhurst hid from the census.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

The US southern states are seeing the vaccine miracle like we are here. In Louisiana and Mississippi, for example, cases are again jumping, but deaths are flatlining.

All hail the vaccine!

Oh wait, double vaccination rates are under 40 per cent in these states....oh......ummm.....er....

The US was the lab for lockdown versus no lockdown and it is the lab for vaccination.

The bodies are not piling up in these states like so many predicted on here. Talk about the end was nigh.

Well, it seems it isn't.

We have to wonder why, and we have to wonder why vaccine passports are being mandated here. Its almost like some people want everybody to be vaccinated so that these comparisons cannot be done.

Cases have only just started rising.

Hopefully 40% vaccination, plus immunity from previous waves, will help make this less deadly. But sadly it has only just (re)started.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909

Leon said:

I've lived in

NW1
    W1
    WC1
    N1
    and
    E1

You should be asking why there is an N1 instead of an NE1 (because of Newcastle). Otherwise it would be NW, NE, SW, SE.
    I think London sectors preceded postcodes. Everything East of the Lea is... just East.
    Or IG or RM :)
    edited July 2021
    My only police related fame to claim is that I got to be interviewed with my daughter in the same precinct as Cagney and Lacey was supposedly set with the NYPD (over a stolen mobile phone ) - all great as we got a NYPD car ride across Manhatten and even got a detective that was over the top "This dont make sense!)" and he even had a messy desk full of papers. I said to my annoyed wife that you could not pay as a tourist to get this experience so savour it (for the price of a mobile phone).

I should add that my daughter got a mobile phone pickpocketed not that we nicked one

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

cases taking off in Lousiana

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/louisiana/

and getting started in Mississippi...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/mississippi/
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

A chart just for you.

edited July 2021

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

The hope for the unvaccinated states is obviously that they have high levels of prior infection. Which will clearly mitigate the impact of new cases.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    I remember as a youngster on nights out, you’d get those girls coming round selling shots, or 5 minute back rubs and what not. Always dressed to the nines. Circulating table to table and group to group in busy bars.

They should get nurses to do something similar with covid vaccines. It’s amazing what a half cut lad will do for a pretty girl in a nice outfit. “Come on big brave lad like you scared of a needle?” Most of that lot haven’t had one yet because they can’t be faffed, not for any other reason. The peer pressure once one in the group has it guarantees the rest all do.

As for older religious groups? Perhaps some financial donations to community religious groups for each vaccine administered after the weekly service.

I don’t have good ideas on how to persuade the “my body is a temple” lot.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

I know I'm very late in the day to mention this, but the drone "logo into rotating globe" display in the Olympic opening ceremony was very funky. Impressive.

Defo real? Didnt the Chinese fake their giant firework footprints in 2008?

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

@contrarian - I looked at deaths for Lousiana and seemed to have doubled in a month from around 6 a day to 11. Not much death, but the cases have only been rocketing for two or three weeks. Covid doesn't kill you in a couple of days.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited July 2021
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

EC1 Head district
    EC2 Bishopsgate
    EC3 Fenchurch Street
    EC4 Fleet Street

Actually looking at the current districts you can sort of see it, as if someone neatly arranged them in alphabetical order and then someone else came and ruined their hard work.

NW2 to 10 are seemingly in order but NW11 is Golders green,

Sw2 to SW10 are OK, but they restart for SW11 to 19, and SW20 I guess used to be Wimbledon West not West Wimbledon. SW11, 12 and 13 actually out of order, but they all start Ba- so close enough.

SE2 to SE18 works, SE19 is seemingly out of order, and then SE20 to 27 is OK, with SE28 again seemingly out of order

E at least looked in order until we created E20 out of order.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

A chart just for you.

There is a clear and statistically significant relationship between % of vaccinated and the growth in cases over the last couple of weeks, looking across the 50 US states plus DC. The relationship with deaths will I suspect be less pronounced than in earlier waves, because vaccine scepticism is more pronounced in younger age groups. But to the extent that states with a low % vaccinated also have older people and those in ill-health unvaccinated, you will see deaths picking up more there too.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Ealing, W5. That is all
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Ealing, W5. That is all

I haven't slept one night in Greater London.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2021

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

Cases are going up everywhere

You ladies can bitch and moan all you like, but if there is not the carnage you yourselves predicted in the months ahead in these unvaccinated states, you have some pretty serious explaining to do, or another piece of the groupthink that passes for analysis on here bites the dust.

So far these states look pretty similar to what has happened here except for vastly more vaccination here.

Cases in Texas are not even rising that much, despite that state being completely open for months. How'd that happen girls?

edited July 2021

Defo real? Didnt the Chinese fake their giant firework footprints in 2008?
    I've only got the dulcet tones of Hazel Irvine assuring me it was real and being flown live in real time. I'll be disappointed if it's fake, although it was so perfect it would hardly surprise me if it wasn't real.
    edited July 2021
    Hey Siri, show me a worse combination than pineapple on pizza.

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

You ladies can bitch and moan all you like, but if there is not the carnage you yourselves predicted in the months ahead in these unvaccinated states, you have some pretty serious explaining to do, or another piece of the groupthink that passes for analysis on here bites the dust.

So far these states look pretty similar to what has happened here except with vastly more vaccination here.

Cases in Texas are not even rising that much, despite that state being completely open for months. How'd that happen girls?

Is being a girl now something to be insulted for?

You really are an odd person

Siri: Show me a worse combination than pineapple on pizza.

Is it main course, or dessert, or both?!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

Labour opposing the passports seems like a big moment

Mons Macron is out defending compulsory vaccine-passports or proven +ve tests for indoor dining.

Demo in Paris with a reported 100k people.

The other day my wife made Yorkshire puddings for breakfast, mixed with raspberries and with yoghurt on the side. Lush it was.

Hors d'oeuvre, I think, to be had with ammonite ale from Whitby. It's not substantial enough else.

So far these states look pretty similar to what has happened here except for vastly more vaccination here.

You don't talk about Florida much these days, that was your golden state a while back.]

Florida is recording more Covid-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic.

The state accounts for one in five new infections in the U.S. and logged 73,181 cases over the past week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida had 341 cases per 100,000 people over the past week, second only to Louisiana. The weekly total of new cases reported by Florida jumped more than fourfold between July 1 and July 22, reaching its highest point since mid-January.

Deaths in Florida totaled 319 over the past week, the most among states, with a rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people, the fourth-highest, according to the CDC.

Epidemiologists say various factors are at play: large numbers of unvaccinated people, a relaxation of preventive measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus and the congregation of people indoors during hot summer months.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida-leads-u-s-in-covid-19-cases-as-hospitalizations-surge-11627131600

and

By week’s end, Florida was accounting for almost a quarter of new infections nationally, with the US surgeon general, Vivek Murthy, warning of an “alarming” rise in deaths and hospitalizations.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/25/florida-covid-coronavirus-ron-desantis-vaccine
    moonshine said:

All hail the vaccine!

Well, it seems it isn't.

So far these states look pretty similar to what has happened here except with vastly more vaccination here.

Is being a girl now something to be insulted for?

You really are an odd person
    And Texarse* has just started an uptick and everything....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYm63Y5tnYo
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    I've never lived in a '1' postcode. Even our flat in central Leeds was LS11.
This discussion has been closed.