Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Snap Savanta poll on BoJo isolation plan finds most saying it was unfair – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
imageSnap Savanta poll on BoJo isolation plan finds most saying it was unfair – politicalbetting.com

Savanta/ComRes has carried out a quickie poll today on the story that’s been dominating UK politics – the apparenty effort, since abandoned, to dodge the isolation rules.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    edited July 2021
    Yellow jersey for me
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    Not first. Unlike Lewis
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Third, like Pakistan in the T20 the rate they’re collapsing.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,877
    4th rate, like the gov comms

4th rate, like the gov comms

Why do you have such a high opinion of government comms?
    Carnyx said:

I like that Mr Nibbles the hamster for PM (on previous thread). For one thing, he can groom himself.

He would be the best spinner for years.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Had they not self isolated it may have been damaging, now they are doing so which the poll shows most of the public agree with then I doubt it will be damaging.

If they brought forward ending self isolation for the double jabbed if they have come into contact with a Covid case from next month then it would not be an issue at all
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,877
    I’d like to think that this next few days of isolation for a man who has had Covid, and I am sure is double jabbed might get some introspection about whether this is the right approach for the country. But it probably won’t. Nibbles for PM. Start the campaign here!
    That’s a decent win from England.

Their bowling firepower and its depth is just extraordinary.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because the Hundred (if it survives beyond the large loss it will make this year) will kill that stone dead.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Government spinning more than Max Verstappen today.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Alistair said:
    Funny as that is, his trolling is a part of what's wrong with America.

It's also incredibly sad that so many people don't get that he's taking the piss.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743
    edited July 2021
    Leon, you stand on the shoulders (glans?) of giant phalluses.
    'Complete with line of ejaculate' is excellent.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Boris's cunning plan to avoid PMQs live in the Commons seems to be working.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

Had they not self isolated it may have been damaging, now they are doing so which the poll shows most of the public agree with then I doubt it will be damaging.

If they brought forward ending self isolation for the double jabbed if they have come into contact with a Covid case from next month then it would not be an issue at all

Maybe but thousands, even millions have taken the decision to delete the app anyway

When you say bringing it forward from next month would not make it an issue, but the sheer scale of stupidity over this, and todays nonsense provides Boris and HMG opponents with gifts that just keep on coming

The time for Boris to move over is rapidly coming, and the sooner the better to be fair for many of moderate conservatives.

Of course, you will show some selective polling that Boris is the darling of the Country but every day he seems to be challenging that popularity, and losing goodwill by the bucket full and reminding so many of how easily 'Ratner' trashed his brand so quickly
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

It's amazing how much penises have grown in the last 2,000 years.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Not doing the post-race, but have to disagree with the apparent consensus earlier.

Verstappen was ahead. Hamilton should've backed off. Not a dirty move, but an error of judgement. The penalty was soft, should've been harsher. Hamilton had fantastic straight line speed and would likely have got him, or at least had a better chance, on the straight.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Snap.. another anti Boris thread... no.mention of the poll that says Labour are losing the black vote.. its getting very one sided....
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Bugger
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    48161 new cases today, down from 54486 the day before.
    Deaths 25, down from 41.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Not doing the post-race, but have to disagree with the apparent consensus earlier.

Verstappen was ahead. Hamilton should've backed off. Not a dirty move, but an error of judgement. The penalty was soft, should've been harsher. Hamilton had fantastic straight line speed and would likely have got him, or at least had a better chance, on the straight.

When you say Verstappen was ahead, at what point do you mean? If you're saying he was ahead after Lewis backed off to take the corner, then I don't think that's relevant.
    Mr. 86, at the point of contact.

Mr. 86, at the point of contact.

Well of Course Verstappen was ahead - he was taking the corner normally. He shouldn't have been.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    NEW:

Keir Starmer, leader of the Labour party, has written to Boris Johnson asking how he and Rishi Sunak were “magically selected” for a testing trial so they could avoid self isolation

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1416803583035592707

Snap.. another anti Boris thread... no.mention of the poll that says Labour are losing the black vote.. its getting very one sided....

Yes shocking hard right web site not posting here anymore!

😊😊😊🍺
    rcs1000 said:

They didn’t quite have a good foot.
    Mr. 86, he isn't obliged to let the guy trying to pass him get past.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    tlg86 said:

When you say Verstappen was ahead, at what point do you mean? If you're saying he was ahead after Lewis backed off to take the corner, then I don't think that's relevant.
    I actually thought Verstappen, a couple of corners earlier, did just what Lewis was accused of.
    Lewis got clearly ahead down the outside of Brooklands, Verstappen braked very late, Lewis saw Verstappen would certainly end up wide on the exit and thus backed off to give him the exit.
    Doesn’t mean all gloves are off, of course, but I did think at the time that elbows would be out throughout the first lap.
  • I completed leg day in this heat, I feel like a champion
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

Maybe but thousands, even millions have taken the decision to delete the app anyway

When you say bringing it forward from next month would not make it an issue, but the sheer scale of stupidity over this, and todays nonsense provides Boris and HMG opponents with gifts that just keep on coming

The time for Boris to move over is rapidly coming, and the sooner the better to be fair for many of moderate conservatives.

Of course, you will show some selective polling that Boris is the darling of the Country but every day he seems to be challenging that popularity, and losing goodwill by the bucket full and reminding so many of how easily 'Ratner' trashed his brand so quickly
    It was Boris who won the Red Wall and Boris who is the most successful Tory election winner since Thatcher, once Thatcher went of course the Tories lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and even when they got back in in 2010 it was without a majority.

Similarly when Labour replaced Blair, its most successful election winner ever, with Brown in 2007 it then went on to lose 4 successive general elections and has still not got back in power yet.

Parties get rid of leaders who win big general election majorities at their peril
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

It is the old joke about the sheltered young fiancee who sees her intended in the shower and seeks advice from her mother [most of joke omitted]. "And what are those two round things about 18 inches back from his bellend, mother?" "I hope for your sake they're the cheeks of his arse!"
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    Thread...

NEW: probably the most important Covid chart I’ve made

As Delta goes global, it’s a tale of two pandemics, as the heavily-vaccinated Western world talks of reopening while deaths across Africa and Asia soar to record highs

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1416805508724502533?s=20

I completed leg day in this heat, I feel like a champion

I’ve been sitting quietly indoors and I’m still drained of energy.

Mr. 86, he isn't obliged to let the guy trying to pass him get past.

And Hamilton isn't obliged to back off to let him take the racing line. All that Hamilton is obliged to do is to leave him room on the exit of the corner (see the penalties in Austria).
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was Boris who won the Red Wall and Boris who is the most successful Tory election winner since Thatcher, once Thatcher went of course the Tories lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and even when they got back in in 2010 it was without a majority.

Similarly when Labour replaced Blair, its most successful election winner ever, with Brown in 2007 it then went on to lose 4 successive general elections and has still not got back in power yet.

Parties get win of leaders who win big general election majorities at their peril
    With respect you just do not get it

HYUFD said:

Parties get win of leaders who win big general election majorities at their peril

That is a gorgeous autocorrect ballsup.
    Anyway, I must be off (study's a sauna) but I know you were all waiting with bated, sweaty breath for the definitive Morris Dancer verdict.

As I said, no post-race now, and probably not tomorrow either.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Alistair said:
    What are people like?
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I do, there is nobody else in the Tory Party with Boris' charisma and appeal to the Red Wall.

The only possible alternative is Sunak but at most he would scrape a narrow election win a la Major 1992 in 2023/4 and we all know what happened to Major 5 years later.

On that historical analogy Boris would be Thatcher, Starmer Kinnock, Sunak Major and maybe Burnham Blair

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Have you gone LAB yet Big G? 😊
    HYUFD said:

there is nobody else in the Tory Party with Boris' charisma and appeal to the Red Wall.

He treats them with contempt
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Horner has got proper small dick energy tonight. Geri will have a pretty unsatisfactory evening.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    Liar really is delusional isn't he?
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

Weekend reporting, I expect it will be back over 50k cases later this week
    OT Mark Cavendish only third in the final stage of the Tour de France, so he has not broken Eddy Merckx's record, which is relevant to @Quincel's SPotY thread of the other day.

SPotY now co-favourites of three at 5/1 or 6 on Betfair: Cavendish; Laura Kenny and Dina Asher-Smith. Cavendish was clear favourite at around 5/2 before today.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Scott_xP said:

NEW:

Keir Starmer, leader of the Labour party, has written to Boris Johnson asking how he and Rishi Sunak were “magically selected” for a testing trial so they could avoid self isolation

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1416803583035592707

LOL great question. Perhaps ask Michael Gove.

Seems that govt members are lucky being selected for all these trials.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is right. Boris single handedly saved the conservative party in 2019 and reshaped it, against almost unthinkable odds, in to the election winning force that it is today.

That is not to say that he will never be manouvred out, he will - and probably relatively soon given his apparent lack of interest in the job. But trying to shift him after 2 years whilst he is doing well in the polls is really unthinkable and somewhat absurd.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No not that extreme

Just want my party to get a grip and show some common sense

And I am still a member, and maybe with 35% plus like minded conservatives, hopefully
    OT Open golf winner Collin Morikawa has now won two grand slam tournaments on debut, so looks nailed on for Overseas SPotY.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    Its a good job there were no pandemics before the internet as the world could have ended without the ability to isolate everyone including healthy key workers and PMs through test and trace. Bloody good it is stopping the county in its tracks just because it can
    darkage said:

Boris single handedly saved the conservative party in 2019 and reshaped it, against almost unthinkable odds, in to the election winning force that it is today.

He killed the Conservative and Unionist Party and took over the Kipper vote.

It is not a sustainable position.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No not that extreme

And I am still a member, and maybe with 35% plus like minded conservatives, hopefully
    No need to go as far as Llafur. You've always got PC and the LDs, so not a bad selection.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

Boris single handedly saved the conservative party in 2019 and reshaped it, against almost unthinkable odds, in to the election winning force that it is today.

I can't see SKS winning back the Red Wall. Why
    Lab doesn't somehow make Burnham leader goodness only knows.
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is right. Boris single handedly saved the conservative party in 2019 and reshaped it, against almost unthinkable odds, in to the election winning force that it is today.

That is not to say that he will never be manouvred out, he will - and probably relatively soon given his apparent lack of interest in the job. But trying to shift him after 2 years whilst he is doing well in the polls is really unthinkable and somewhat absurd.
    Indeed, the 43.6% Boris won for the Tories in 2019 was the highest Tory voteshare since the 43.9% Thatcher got in 1979 and the Tories are still on 40%+ in every poll, getting rid of Boris now would be absurd.
    To be clear, the Western world is not out of the woods yet either.

In England, hospital & ICU admissions are now above the level where restrictions were introduced last year and continue to rise at the same rate as in previous waves.

Tomorrow England completes its reopening 🤔
    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1416805533382742020/photo/1

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,448
    edited July 2021
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

The days of parties being able to select a suitable leader are sadly long gone. Who knows if Starmer tries to stand aside for Burnham it might end up with Burgon.....
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am not disputing his record, but he is increasingly looking as if he has lost his common sense, and to be honest I genuinely do not think he is well

However, if he beats all expectations and 'Freedom' day proves to be inspired both on covid and the economy, then all bets about future replacements will be off

And it would massively exceed all expectations
    HYUFD said:

getting rid of Boris now would be absurd.

It would save lives
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

It would save lives
    Too late for that now. It’s eighteen months ago it would have saved lives.
  • It would do us all a lot of good if the Tories would be out of power for a while and then go back to being sensible and moderate once again. Labour is slowly getting over its nutty period it seems, time for the same with the Tories.
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

It would save lives
    No, getting people double jabbed has saved lives
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No not that extreme

No need to go as far as Llafur. You've always got PC and the LDs, so not a bad selection.
    Not bad, but much worse and LDs in Wales are near extinct
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

It would save lives
    I don't think it would be he seems determined to live down the the reputation that his enemies would have of him. Baffling.
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

Burnham has said he will not stand again as an MP until the next general election, so he will leave Starmer to lead Labour into the next general election and if he loses he would then be in prime position to succeed him

Its a good job there were no pandemics before the internet as the world could have ended without the ability to isolate everyone including healthy key workers and PMs through test and trace. Bloody good it is stopping the county in its tracks just because it can

There were pandemics before the internet and not just Spanish Flu, but they probably don't cover the Great Plague and Black Death any more now school history is all Tudors and Nazis.

AIDS used to be a pandemic but has now been downgraded to a global epidemic. We just about had the internet back then. We did not have the web.
    Cannot believe that, 16 months into the pandemic, I am writing this @ftopinion column. Freedom Day beckons but only for #COVID19 .

Monday is surrender day, not freedom day, in England

https://www.ft.com/content/c9a6c0f0-985c-4563-91bb-aee51f0ab926?desktop=true&segmentId=d8d3e364-5197-20eb-17cf-2437841d178a via @financialtimes
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

tlg86 said:

I actually thought Verstappen, a couple of corners earlier, did just what Lewis was accused of.
    Lewis got clearly ahead down the outside of Brooklands, Verstappen braked very late, Lewis saw Verstappen would certainly end up wide on the exit and thus backed off to give him the exit.
    Doesn’t mean all gloves are off, of course, but I did think at the time that elbows would be out throughout the first lap.
    Verstappen always drives aggressively and doesn’t give an inch. Same happened today - and unfortunately it was Verstappen that lost out.

That’s racing.
    edited July 2021

It would do us all a lot of good if the Tories would be out of power for a while and then go back to being sensible and moderate once again. Labour is slowly getting over its nutty period it seems, time for the same with the Tories.

If the Tories lost they would move even further right of Boris not back to the centre, remember when Major lost he was followed by Hague, then IDS then Howard before they got to Cameron. When Brown lost he was followed by Ed Miliband and Corbyn.

So Priti Patel, Raab (if he held his seat) or even Rees Mogg would be more likely to become Tory leader if the Tories lost the next general election than a moderate
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

Why not? 2016-2019 are looking remarkably like the late 1970s. Like Thatcher he took on the one nation wets. He also created a new economic policy which aggrieved a lot of people, replacing the one that went before. I am an outsider but to me it just looks like a classic reinvention of the conservative party.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,448
    Morikawa sounds very classy as well as being an impressive golfer.
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

Burnham has said he will not stand again as an MP until the next general election, so he will leave Starmer to lead Labour into the next general election and if he loses he would then be in prime position to succeed him
    The fragrant Burnham. but not yet.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,334

I'm not sure it's possible to have a Pro-Johnson thread, he hasn't done anything good and honourable in years.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

I like that Mr Nibbles the hamster for PM (on previous thread). For one thing, he can groom himself.

How would he manage Larry?
    edited July 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Cannot believe that, 16 months into the pandemic, I am writing this @ftopinion column. Freedom Day beckons but only for #COVID19 .

Monday is surrender day, not freedom day, in England

https://www.ft.com/content/c9a6c0f0-985c-4563-91bb-aee51f0ab926?desktop=true&segmentId=d8d3e364-5197-20eb-17cf-2437841d178a via @financialtimes

The problem with all this is we just do not know

It could be the case but equally with the vaccination levels in the UK and so many unvaccinated catching covid adding to their antibodies, then it may just succeed

Of course, so much debate is political and sadly there are many in the UK who want it to fail to further their own twisted political objective
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

How would he manage Larry?
    Any trouble and he’d just get ratty with him.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

tlg86 said:

Precisely.

Max on the inside of Lewis - Lewis left room.
    Lewis on inside of Lewis - Lando left room
    Lewis on inside of Charles - Charles left room
    Lewis on inside of Max - Bang.

Max keeps pulling these 'you blink of we'll both crash' poses and just assumes he's crazier than everyone else - it's about time his bluff was called and he got what was coming to him - glad he's not hurt but frankly that incident has been brewing for a while the way he drives.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    jonny83 said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

The size of the drop (12%) from Saturday to Sunday is encouraging. The previous two weekends the drops were 3% and 2%.

Sat-Sun-Mon
    3-4-5 July: 24517 -> 23858 -> 26829
    10-11-12 July: 31921 -> 31282 -> 33918
    17-18-19 July: 54486 -> 48161 -> ?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

I'm not sure it's possible to have a Pro-Johnson thread, he hasn't done anything good and honourable in years.
    He doesn't want a pro-Johnson thread - he wants an anti-Labour or anti-Starmer thread so he can whinge on about useless Labour is or are.
    Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

Damn! I thought peak was going to be 54,312. There must be some false positives!
    Club central. 5 hours to go!

I'm staying in 🍺
    Speaking of ‘Larry the Cat’ he’s enjoyed today:

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1416694973437779972

OT Open golf winner Collin Morikawa has now won two grand slam tournaments on debut, so looks nailed on for Overseas SPotY.

Interestingly, Tiger Woods only won that once (in 2000, when he won three majors). I guess his second spell of dominance coincided with Federer’s dominance.

They won’t give it to him, but I think it should be Tom Brady.

It would do us all a lot of good if the Tories would be out of power for a while and then go back to being sensible and moderate once again. Labour is slowly getting over its nutty period it seems, time for the same with the Tories.

LAB need to get past its 'nutty period' and be trusted by the voters

Then it can win. Not there yet.
  • stodge said:

He doesn't want a pro-Johnson thread - he wants an anti-Labour or anti-Starmer thread so he can whinge on about useless Labour is or are.
    He just wants to post variations of "Starmer is crap". We had literally months of that here, it drove a few of us away for a while
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117
    ydoethur said:

Speaking of ‘Larry the Cat’ he’s enjoyed today:

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1416694973437779972

Indeed.

I do wonder if 'pilot scheme' will become a new euphemism, and if so, exactly what for.
    Charles said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

Damn! I thought peak was going to be 54,312. There must be some false positives!
    What do we want here now anyway? I presume many more positive tests and less hospitalisations? I'm going with the idea that fewer deaths are good too.

Do we want open borders with hotspots so we can all catch and be smugly immune, or closed borders so we can be rude?

Boris is fucking this up.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Gnud said:

jonny83 said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

The size of the drop (12%) from Saturday to Sunday is encouraging. The previous two weekends the drops were 3% and 2%.

Sat-Sun-Mon
    3-4-5 July: 24517 -> 23858 -> 26829
    10-11-12 July: 31921 -> 31282 -> 33918
    17-18-19 July: 54486 -> 48161 -> ?
    I appreciate you trying to get your Monday post in early but try extending your analysis back a further day and spot what is novel about this Saturday compared to the previous 2.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I keep repeating that it is virtually impossible for LAB/SKS to win a majority and you never mention that.
    tlg86 said:

Interestingly, Tiger Woods only won that once (in 2000, when he won three majors). I guess his second spell of dominance coincided with Federer’s dominance.

Actually, it will almost certainly be Djokovic.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Sam Smiths panic.

I'd say it's encouraging social contact combined with a rather larger dose of trying to make sure their staff do not get pinged.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

Whether it's as dramatic as Kinnock at Bournemouth, Starmer has to do something which draws a clear line under the Corbyn period.

The problem he has is, having adopted a stance of "constructive Opposition" in a time of national crisis (and, contrary to many on here, I think Starmer has done well), to evolve that into a sense of what a Labour Britain in 2024 is going to look like.

If I were him, I wouldn't go for anything too radical - the future, better would be where I'd start.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Actually, it will almost certainly be Djokovic.
    Don't forget the Olympics. One jaw-dropping performance to win Gold and all bets are off.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Charles said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

Right need to lose another 8161 by tomorrow.
    stodge said:

Whether it's as dramatic as Kinnock at Bournemouth, Starmer has to do something which draws a clear line under the Corbyn period.

The problem he has is, having adopted a stance of "constructive Opposition" in a time of national crisis (and, contrary to many on here, I think Starmer has done well), to evolve that into a sense of what a Labour Britain in 2024 is going to look like.

If I were him, I wouldn't go for anything too radical - the future, better would be where I'd start.
    Some reasonable positivity with a clear direction and not to scare everyone off. And control over the less attractive elements of the party like Kinnock tried. Then yes LAB could be in. But difficult for 2023/2024.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I do, there is nobody else in the Tory Party with Boris' charisma and appeal to the Red Wall.

The only possible alternative is Sunak but at most he would scrape a narrow election win a la Major 1992 in 2023/4 and we all know what happened to Major 5 years later.

On that historical analogy Boris would be Thatcher, Starmer Kinnock, Sunak Major and maybe Burnham Blair
    And that's the problem for the Conservatives- you're both right.

Think back to summer 2019 and the talk of MPs manipulating their stage of the leadership election. Everyone knew that BoJo would win a public vote easily (he did) but would be a terrible PM (he has been).

So now the Conservatives have a leader they can't ditch (too electorally potent) but need to ditch (because of repeated cockups like this morning's). And the net effect of today is that Sunak has taken on a bit of the tawdry.

So the problem for Johnsonphobes is a familiar one.

If not now, then when?
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

What do we want here now anyway? I presume many more positive tests and less hospitalisations? I'm going with the idea that fewer deaths are good too.

Do we want open borders with hotspots so we can all catch and be smugly immune, or closed borders so we can be rude?

Lots of infections in summer, few hospitalisations and even fewer deaths. Booster vaccines in September and October, ready for the winter (don’t forget most of the >45 will be AZ so can take PFE and benefit from 4 week ramp up)
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Gnud said:

Deaths 25, down from 41.

Lots of infections in summer, few hospitalisations and even fewer deaths. Booster vaccines in September and October, ready for the winter (don’t forget most of the >45 will be AZ so can take PFE and benefit from 4 week ramp up)
    I think I've had enough of Boris.
    stodge said:

Corbyn is an irrelevance. However, what Starmer does need to do is what Boris did and Corbyn did not, which is to convince voters that he is on their side.
This discussion has been closed.