Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hancock bows to the inevitable and decides to quit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    Andy_JS said:

Why would someone put out totally false information about Nadhim Zahawi being appointed the new Health Secretary?

Think he got it from the Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1455021/Nadhim-Zahawi-health-secretary-matt-hancock-replacement-evg
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

@PoliticsForAlI

BREAKING: Nadhim Zahawi will be Hancock’s replacement

Make of this what you will.

Sensible choice. He’s done well on vaccines, knows the department, and avoids the need for a wider reshuffle.
    It's fake news.
    Edited original post.

That PoliticsForAll Twitter account again, which we keep forgetting is run by some politics A-level student who never links to sources.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Andy_JS said:

Why would someone put out totally false information about Nadhim Zahawi being appointed the new Health Secretary?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1455021/Nadhim-Zahawi-health-secretary-matt-hancock-replacement-evg
    Are you sure? The Express only quotes three twitter users, who could be reacting from the fake news spread by this account.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

Leon said:

Leon said:

Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go

He really didn't. He has done nothing that Shagger or the Traitor or himself have already done without even a slap on the wrist. Breaking the code? No penalty. Lying and cheating? No penalty. Lying to and bullying your colleagues? No penalty.

This government has already declared all such mandatory resignation transgressions to be OK behaviour, cheered on by the remaining PB Tories. That a couple of them now claim to be on the moral high ground is a joke like the notion of propriety in a public office.

Whatever. You lefties are just evil

I agree Hancock had to go. No question. Said it 24 hours ago. On here. Boris was a fool to even delay it

But Hancock seems a decent man doing his best who has majorly fucked up in a global crisis and comes across as a massive hypocrite. He now faces a broken family and kids that might hate him. I cannot gloat or exult in this situation, unlike you. Love and sex make people do stupid things. And, if pushed, I’d rather a man break the law and the rules for love, than money

He’s gone. It is done. Let him repair his life, if he can, in private
    It is *awful* for his kids. Truly awful. Not that he gives a fuck.

How on do you know he doesn't give a fuck ?

We know nothing of the private circumstances surrounding Hancock's marriage.

Unpopular though it is on pb.com, some gentleness is needed in these matters.
    It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate. It takes strength to be gentle and kind
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Italy look very good indeed. Best footballing side in the tournament, I think.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Hopefully Zahavi gets the job. He will have been immersed in a lot of vaccine statistics over the last few months so will be much more difficult to fool with dodgy data.

Hmmm. Sajid Javid in with a chance....
    I'm hoping Sajid is being earmarked for education.
    That's a bit patronising. He did go to uni.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Gnud said:

gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

Bye. Good riddance. Lying hypocritical twat.

Agreed and his successor needs to confirm freedom on the 19th July
    Virus permitting. That little virus has been rather forgotten in Tory discourse of late. (But it would be nice, I entirely agree.)
    Infection rates are certainly upwardly mobile, not just in UK but outside. In some UK places hospitalisation rates doubling, though from a low base number.

It depends if link between infection and hospital treatment and death is broken. Some say proven. Some say not proven yet.

Vaccines seem to be working at breaking that link in my opinion. If the next couple of weeks prove they are not, the government may have to lock us down even more than we currently are. That will deflate all of us.

The disappointing thing could turn out to be, racing ahead of the rest of the world in vaccination allows variants too much freedom to form elsewhere and then stop us from relaxing and declaring victory. 😕
    Seems unlikely. It's always worth repeating that the evidence from the places that have been hit soonest and hardest by Delta, allied to that showing very high rates of protection from the vaccines against serious illness, points to a satisfactory outcome. The disease is undoubtedly going to seek out and kill some of the remaining vulnerable - overwhelmingly amongst the unvaccinated, and old people for whom vaccines haven't worked that well - but there's nothing to suggest at this stage that the hospitals will get swamped or come anywhere close to so being. And, without that, there's no excuse for domestic restrictions, because the ongoing harm that they cause will exceed their residual benefit.
    If a person is unvaccinated, does it matter whether they catch the infection from another unvaccinated person or from a vaccinated person whose symptoms have been caused by the vaccine to be only mild (assuming quantitatively similar viral load)?
    I think you're answering your own question there - there will generally be a smaller viral load if you are unlucky enough to catch it from someone vaccinated.
    OK, thanks, but I was also wondering whether the actual viral particles transmitted are significantly different in the two cases, and in particular whether they are less likely to be lethal if transmitted by a vaccinated person.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    Dom tweets

So Carrie appoints Saj! NB If I hadn't tricked PM into firing Saj, we'd have had a HMT with useless SoS/spads, no furlough scheme, total chaos instead of JOINT 10/11 team which was a big success. Saj = bog standard = chasing headlines + failing = awful for NHS. Need #RegimeChange

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1408866176323706891
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Dom tweets

So Carrie appoints Saj! NB If I hadn't tricked PM into firing Saj, we'd have had a HMT with useless SoS/spads, no furlough scheme, total chaos instead of JOINT 10/11 team which was a big success. Saj = bog standard = chasing headlines + failing = awful for NHS. Need #RegimeChange

You are having quite an evening.
  • Options
    The march today in London should be a good measure of how bad the variant formerly known as Indian is affecting the unvaccinated
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    I think Italy win this comfortably.

“Any other” italy win @ 15/1 is value
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192

Dom tweets

Happily for Dom he has a list of where all the bodies are buried and who buried them. He will work down his list and Hancock the lot won't he...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Are you sure? The Express only quotes three twitter users, who could be reacting from the fake news spread by this account.
    He said he got it from the Express, and look at the Express URL, they thought they had a story..
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Glad it is him and not Gove though.

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.
    Truthfully? Hopefully not.

In any case, surely the camera would have broken?
    Michael Gove is really well endowed.

It is common knowledge in Westminster and beyond.

Just don't ask how I know this.
    I’m surprised. I’ve seen his forehead many times and yet I can’t make out his penis at all.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

How the feck is George Galloway using the honorific Honourable?

Is he the younger son of an Earl or maybe the son of a Viscount or Baron?

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/652949163576041472
    Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
    Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
    What Galloway will do is play the division card to get the Islamic vote, and then claim Starmer is out of step with Labour supporters. It really is the most shallow and dishonest politics, to burn and spurn and sow disunity and division rather than the hard work of building and uniting. For turning his back on doing the right thing he doesn’t deserve a single vote. Even Tories and Tory press should support the Labour candidate here to ensure Galloway does not end up with the biggest grin.
    The Tories will be supporting the Conservative candidate, who’s now the clear favourite with the left vote split.
    But look just how the left vote has been split. The Conservative will gain due to someone presenting no solution to Israel and Palestine tension, just supping from it. At the very least the winning Conservative Party and their commentariat need to acknowledge this is distasteful, not do the easy thing and just ignore it.
    The Labour Party made the same mistake with Kim as with Keir.

Keir (who may have been a supporter but was not a member of the Labour Party) was parachuted in to H & St Pancras. And then elected leader.

Kim (who may have been a supporter but was not a member of the Labour Party) was parachuted in as candidate for the B&S by-election.

Both Kim & Keir may well be admirable human beings.

But, that doesn't make them good at politics.

If Kim & Keir had paid some dues on the ground as Councillors or in local politics, they would be better equipped to deal with the hurly-burly of political life.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mancini has turned them from nowhere into a great side. Not Traditionally defensive, but entertaining.

The Welsh keeper impressed me Foxy, he will have to move now for 1st team games wont he?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    Dominic Cummings isn't happy about the appointment of Sajid Javid.

@Dominic2306

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go

He really didn't. He has done nothing that Shagger or the Traitor or himself have already done without even a slap on the wrist. Breaking the code? No penalty. Lying and cheating? No penalty. Lying to and bullying your colleagues? No penalty.

This government has already declared all such mandatory resignation transgressions to be OK behaviour, cheered on by the remaining PB Tories. That a couple of them now claim to be on the moral high ground is a joke like the notion of propriety in a public office.

I agree Hancock had to go. No question. Said it 24 hours ago. On here. Boris was a fool to even delay it

But Hancock seems a decent man doing his best who has majorly fucked up in a global crisis and comes across as a massive hypocrite. He now faces a broken family and kids that might hate him. I cannot gloat or exult in this situation, unlike you. Love and sex make people do stupid things. And, if pushed, I’d rather a man break the law and the rules for love, than money

How am I gloating about his resignation? Since this broke I have said repeatedly that he shouldn't go and I still think that. What he has done is no different to what the PM and Home Secretary and himself have done without sanction.

“It is *awful* for his kids. Truly awful. Not that he gives a fuck”

So, do tell, how do you know Matt Hancock “doesn’t give a fuck about his kids”?

You just don’t, do you? You absolutely have no idea, no proof, no nothing, no inside information, you make a vile assertion without any evidence because, well, that’s what lefties like you do, isn’t it?

So you be you. And maybe wonder - one day - if you are any better than the people you love to despise
    Sean mate he's the Secretary of State for Health in the middle of a pandemic. Any step out of line is going to end up in the public domain. The idea that he can install his mistress into his department and carry out an affair and it NOT end up on the front page of The Sun is stupid beyond words.

I don't think he thought about his kids at all. About the horror they will experience as their dad ends up mocked on the front pages, with kids at school being cruel. Seeing the impact on their mum.

Vile assertion? He was led by his cock. He is directly responsible for this hell that has descended on his kids. He did it.
    You are really just nasty and have no knowledge whatsoever of the details of this emotional disaster for two families

I wanted Hancock gone and am pleased he has resigned, but his private life is not something any of us can know about or indeed is any of our business

You are no better than the media camping outside their homes seeking tasteless 'gotcha' photos
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How am I gloating about his resignation? Since this broke I have said repeatedly that he shouldn't go and I still think that. What he has done is no different to what the PM and Home Secretary and himself have done without sanction.

You just don’t, do you? You absolutely have no idea, no proof, no nothing, no inside information, you make a vile assertion without any evidence because, well, that’s what lefties like you do, isn’t it?

So you be you. And maybe wonder - one day - if you are any better than the people you love to despise
    Sean mate he's the Secretary of State for Health in the middle of a pandemic. Any step out of line is going to end up in the public domain. The idea that he can install his mistress into his department and carry out an affair and it NOT end up on the front page of The Sun is stupid beyond words.

I don't think he thought about his kids at all. About the horror they will experience as their dad ends up mocked on the front pages, with kids at school being cruel. Seeing the impact on their mum.

Vile assertion? He was led by his cock. He is directly responsible for this hell that has descended on his kids. He did it.
    The other party must also bear some responsibility, too, surely.
  • Options

Dom tweets

Yes, Dom got Hancock sacked, but replaced by an even bigger enemy. These Tory court politics are brutal.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

How on do you know he doesn't give a fuck ?

We know nothing of the private circumstances surrounding Hancock's marriage.

Unpopular though it is on pb.com, some gentleness is needed in these matters.
    My point is simple. He can't be so stupid as to think he can install his mistress into the DoH and carry out an affair in the middle of a pandemic without it one day ending up on the front page of the newspapers. In doing so - with the inevitable awful impact onto his family - he demonstrates that the only person he was thinking of was himself.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
    Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
    What Galloway will do is play the division card to get the Islamic vote, and then claim Starmer is out of step with Labour supporters. It really is the most shallow and dishonest politics, to burn and spurn and sow disunity and division rather than the hard work of building and uniting. For turning his back on doing the right thing he doesn’t deserve a single vote. Even Tories and Tory press should support the Labour candidate here to ensure Galloway does not end up with the biggest grin.
    The Tories will be supporting the Conservative candidate, who’s now the clear favourite with the left vote split.
    But look just how the left vote has been split. The Conservative will gain due to someone presenting no solution to Israel and Palestine tension, just supping from it. At the very least the winning Conservative Party and their commentariat need to acknowledge this is distasteful, not do the easy thing and just ignore it.

Keir (who may have been a supporter but was not a member of the Labour Party) was parachuted in to H & St Pancras. And then elected leader.

Kim (who may have been a supporter but was not a member of the Labour Party) was parachuted in as candidate for the B&S by-election.

If Kim & Keir had paid some dues on the ground as Councillors or in local politics, they would be better equipped to deal with the hurly-burly of political life.
    There was a very good reason why Sir Keir Starmer was a late joiner to the Labour Party.

A DPP cannot be a member of a political party.
  • Options

Dom tweets

Glad to see he’s not bitter about having to admit he threatened an employee, exceeded his authority, stole a phone and completely failed in his bid to install a set of similarly talentless losers at the Treasury by stealth.

A dangerous man, still. The sooner somebody nails him for one of his many breaches of the law, the better.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

He said he got it from the Express, and look at the Express URL, they thought they had a story..
    Looks as though the Express story was published after, but it could have been trailed before.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dom tweets

Yes, Dom got Hancock sacked, but replaced by an even bigger enemy. These Tory court politics are brutal.
    I guess that is why Boris appointed Javid? To annoy Cummings
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,141
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The other party must also bear some responsibility, too, surely.
    Hasn't Gina's husband packed the car and entered the postcode for the nearest Travelodge into the satnav?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Foxy said:

Should be favourites. But I think it's going to be an England France final which we'll lose 2-1.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341

@Dominic2306

The significant line is this one: "If I hadn't tricked PM into firing Saj".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.

I’m surprised. I’ve seen his forehead many times and yet I can’t make out his penis at all.
    "Like a slinky that comes down the stairs before the rest of the body".
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

There was a very good reason why Sir Keir Starmer was a late joiner to the Labour Party.

Dohhhh .... He did have a life before being DPP, Mr Cambridge.

He was a student and an activist lawyer and a barrister before.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Has Bozo just appointed his successor to cabinet?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

I am no fan of Keir, but he was active in the youth arm of the Labour Party, and has anecdotes of leafletting true blue Surrey as a teenager.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You are really just nasty and have no knowledge whatsoever of the details of this emotional disaster for two families

I wanted Hancock gone and am pleased he has resigned, but his private life is not something any of us can know about or indeed is any of our business

You are no better than the media camping outside their homes seeking tasteless 'gotcha' photos
    Thats your view from the "moral high ground" is it? I'll take it under advisement. I make zero assumptions about the Hancock marriage nor do I care - it isn't my business. Whatever drove him to have an affair is up to him. It is doing it as SoS for Health in a pandemic and doing it at work where it was always going to get exposed in the brutal manner it has been. That is him not giving a fuck about literally anyone other than him.

I said "his kids". It also applies to all the people who followed the rules and lost loved ones without being able to hold them and comfort them, or attend funerals. To the Queen sat alone at the DofE's funeral because she followed the rules that he could not.

Who else couldn't give a fuck? The Prime Minister who declared that no resignation or sacking was required and the matter now closed. Lying and breaking the rules and the ministerial code and all of that is not a resignation matter in his government.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Thats your view from the "moral high ground" is it? I'll take it under advisement. I make zero assumptions about the Hancock marriage nor do I care - it isn't my business. Whatever drove him to have an affair is up to him. It is doing it as SoS for Health in a pandemic and doing it at work where it was always going to get exposed in the brutal manner it has been. That is him not giving a fuck about literally anyone other than him.

I said "his kids". It also applies to all the people who followed the rules and lost loved ones without being able to hold them and comfort them, or attend funerals. To the Queen sat alone at the DofE's funeral because she followed the rules that he could not.

Who else couldn't give a fuck? The Prime Minister who declared that no resignation or sacking was required and the matter now closed. Lying and breaking the rules and the ministerial code and all of that is not a resignation matter in his government.
    Not moral high ground but just the decent attitude to this, something you would not recognise
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I thought Javed quit?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

He was a member of the Labour Party earlier in his life but once it became clear he was on track to be DPP he let things lapse because you know the DPP cannot be political.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I thought Javed quit?

Already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I thought Javed quit?

How dare you bring facts into a conversation involving Cummings? Don’t you know that reality matches what he says, not what he says matching reality?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Dom tweets

I guess that is why Boris appointed Javid? To annoy Cummings
    It does tick that box, amongst others.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dom tweets

Glad to see he’s not bitter about having to admit he threatened an employee, exceeded his authority, stole a phone and completely failed in his bid to install a set of similarly talentless losers at the Treasury by stealth.

A dangerous man, still. The sooner somebody nails him for one of his many breaches of the law, the better.
    What?

I thought I have been paying attention, but what’s all that you said?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Eeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuw.
  • Options
    Javid’s appointment must be good news for those looking for the Govt to lift restrictions and start pivoting towards business interests and away from the pro lockdown lobby?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

He was a member of the Labour Party earlier in his life but once it became clear he was on track to be DPP he let things lapse because you know the DPP cannot be political.
    Citation needed that SKS was a member of the Labour party in his youth, please.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Scott_xP said:

No he appointed Rhisi months ago.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Eeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuw.
    Be appreciative that camera technology wasn't as good back in "Minister for Fun" David Mellor's time.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Health is a poisoned chalice. There is so much bad news to come, and very little good.

Was Eden the last Sec of State for Health to reach the top job?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Javid’s appointment must be good news for those looking for the Govt to lift restrictions and start pivoting towards business interests and away from the pro lockdown lobby?

Hopefully, but what makes you say that, I don't think he voted against the lockdown extension last week did he?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

"Like a slinky that comes down the stairs before the rest of the body".
    Any slinky fans should note that the paperback edition of Sasha Swires' Diary of an MP's Wife is due to be published on the 1st of July.

ETA it is pretty dull overall.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

You just put party politics before the good of the country.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

Conversation with Lord Cooper who was a schoolmate of Sir Keir.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

Dom tweets

What?

I thought I have been paying attention, but what’s all that you said?
    The Special Adviser case:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/sajid-javid-treasury-adviser-pay-out-6318098

He forced her to hand over her personal phone - which is theft. And then threatened her with physical violence if she didn’t leave her job - which was both making threats and exceeding his authority, as only the PM can remove SPADs. About eight months ago, they had to admit all this and pay up a huge sum to dodge an employment tribunal.

Then, he told Javid that he wanted to appoint all his SPADs in a bid to bring the Treasury under his personal control. He assumed Javid would take it to remain Chancellor, especially as the budget was only a few days away. Javid refused and walked out. So he was very publicly branded as having led a power grab and his control over Whitehall actually weakened.

What he’s doing now is trying to spin these two major reverses into master plans. Psychological flaw that means he can’t ever admit to having been wrong. Just as he retcons his blogposts.

What they really show is he’s pompous, arrogant, reckless and not very bright.

But everyone in education knew that already.
  • Options
    At least Hancock wasn’t lying when he said he was hard at work
    https://twitter.com/MarinaNigrelli/status/1408707526896541698
  • Options
    BigRich said:

alex_ said:

Hopefully, but what makes you say that, I don't think he voted against the lockdown extension last week did he?
    His background. One can always read too much into HoC voting when trying to ascertain what people really think. MPs like to pick their moments to rebel and generally those with ambition for high office do not vote against the Govt. Would he be health secretary today if he had?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Yes, there is.
    And all of it of Hancock’s making.
    Which is, you know, the definition of “tragedy”
    Indeed, but it’s no reason to approve of or defend his behaviour, either.

And FWIW, I have no interest at all in his private life. I judge him as a hypocrite politician rather than private individual,
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

He joined the Young Socialists aged 16. He said so on Desert Island Discs:

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/oxteds-keir-starmer-on-childhood-anguish-and-being-a-radical-teen-socialist/
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Doesn’t Cummings just seem needlessly vindictive and bitter …
  • Options

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Eeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuw.
    Be appreciative that camera technology wasn't as good back in "Minister for Fun" David Mellor's time.
    Robin Cook is the one I always remember.

Bad Al Campbell at his ‘finest’, made him pick up the phone to his wife to tell her he was leaving.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

I thought Javed quit?

Dominic Cummings, and therefore Boris, insisted then-Chancellor Sajid Javid's SpAds had to be replaced by Cummings' appointees. Sajid Javid refused to accept these terms.

@ydoethur said it better.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,849
    edited June 2021
    Evening all :)

At the end of the evening/day, it's all very sad. Matt Hancock's personal and political life has been destroyed and he has no one to blame but himself. I remember some on here thinking he would have a senior Cabinet post in a George Osborne-led Government once David Cameron stepped down.

Falling on his own sword was, in the end, his only option and I suspect, deep down, he's pleased to be out of what must have been an unbearably fraught atmosphere in the past 16 months.

I suspect he'll want to put his side of what happened in March 2020 and later and perhaps that'll be a book or a soft interview in a few months (perhaps just before the Conservative Conference, who knows).

There's also the independent enquiry into Covid at which Hancock will be a key witness and again he'll have his day in court, so to speak.

As with Chesham & Amersham, it's not the beginning of the end but it is the end of the beginning, the point at which it stopped being all sunshine and roses for the Government in terms of public political popularity and the start of something else. They benefit hugely from an opposition which continues to "constructively" oppose but that won't last for ever either.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

That ain't no forehead, MaryLou...
  • Options

David Cameron (pbuh) was right when he said Dominic Cummings was a psychopath.

Up there with his comment about Twitter.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Javid is quite unimpressive, and I tend to agree with Cumming’s portrayal of him as a mediocre placeman who lacks much in the way of independent thought.

Probably perfect for Health, where the job in normal times is not to attract too much attention.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Health is a poisoned chalice. There is so much bad news to come, and very little good.

Eden wasn’t Health Secretary. He went straight from Junior Minister to Foreign Secretary. The only other role he held - briefly - was Dominion Secretary and then War Secretary.

The last (and indeed only) Health Secretary to make it to PM was in fact Neville Chamberlain (1922-23 and 1924-29).
  • Options

Oh massively. Unfortunately for fans of the government he knows just how inept and brazen the operation is and he can keep going down his shitlist unveiling the career-ending mess until they all go.

If - as widely reported - Nut Nut was the driving force behind Cummings being removed, you have to ask if all this is worth whatever it was she won in having him gone.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If somehow this Hancock thing could bring down Johnson in the next 4 days that would be great.
  • Options

Javid is quite unimpressive, and I tend to agree with Cumming’s portrayal of him as a mediocre placeman who lacks much in the way of independent thought.

Probably perfect for Health, where the job in normal times is not to attract too much attention.

Nice to know that we’re back to normal ;)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited June 2021
    Gove’s affair is pretty much common knowledge at this point.

There’s no evidence he is breaking any covid rules, but as Minister for Cabinet Office all that dodgy procurement stuff does lead in his direction.

He also has form for secret email accounts, as Cummings knows well.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Cummings just seems like one of those narcissists who never believes they’ve done anything wrong
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Should be favourites. But I think it's going to be an England France final which we'll lose 2-1.
    TSE will explode.
  • Options

Oh massively. Unfortunately for fans of the government he knows just how inept and brazen the operation is and he can keep going down his shitlist unveiling the career-ending mess until they all go.

If - as widely reported - Nut Nut was the driving force behind Cummings being removed, you have to ask if all this is worth whatever it was she won in having him gone.
    Who is Nut Nut? the new Mrs Johnson?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Eden wasn’t Health Secretary. He went straight from Junior Minister to Foreign Secretary. The only other role he held - briefly - was Dominion Secretary and then War Secretary.

The last Health Secretary to make it to PM was in fact Neville Chamberlain (1922-23 and 1924-29).
    So none since the creation of the NHS...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If somehow this Hancock thing could bring down Johnson in the next 4 days that would be great.

I think in just over 4 days Starmer may well have more to worry about in that respect
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

At the end of the evening/day, it's all very sad. Matt Hancock's personal and political life has been destroyed and he has no one to blame but himself. I remember some on here thinking he would have a senior Cabinet post in a George Osborne-led Government once David Cameron stepped down.

Falling on his own sword was, in the end, his only option and I suspect, deep down, he's pleased to be out of what must have been an unbearably fraught atmosphere in the past 16 months.

I suspect he'll want to put his side of what happened in March 2020 and later and perhaps that'll be a book or a soft interview in a few months (perhaps just before the Conservative Conference, who knows).

There's also the independent enquiry into Covid at which Hancock will be a key witness and again he'll have his day in court, so to speak.

As with Chesham & Amersham, it's not the beginning of the end but it is the end of the beginning, the point at which it stopped being all sunshine and roses for the Government in terms of public political popularity and the start of something else. They benefit hugely from an opposition which continues to "constructively" oppose but that won't last for ever either.

His sword must be pretty crowded if he's fallen on it as well.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341

What i find so surprising is how measured you are in your comments.
  • Options
    I have figured out who Cummings has decided to emulate:

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Austria doing really well here.
    Am genuinely surprised at which of today's ties was one-sided.
  • Options

Can you not find a political hero educated in the Fens?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The last Health Secretary to make it to PM was in fact Neville Chamberlain (1922-23 and 1924-29).
    No.

Equally, only one Secretary of State for Education has ever become PM.

I’m fairly sure I don’t need to tell anyone who that was...

Interestingly I think only two ministers have ever been both Health and Education Secretary. Alan Johnson was one. Any guesses as to the other?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The score doesn't reflect how dominant Italy has been. I cannot see Austria holding out for another half.
  • Options

He Khan’t hope to emulate that.

Apart possibly from causing his own utter destruction, but he’s already done that.
  • Options

Kenneth Clarke.

He and Thatcher are the reasons I'm a right winger.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

You're saying Cummings is a total Khan't?
  • Options

You're saying Cummings is a total Khan't?
    He’s committed many Singhs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,956
    Javid is joining a department that has faced unprecedented challenges over the last eighteen months; challenges that only change in form, not reduce, once the damned pox is beaten. Its staff are overworked, tired, and stressed.

He has one job to do on Monday morning. He needs to get all his senior staff together, stare them in their eyes, and say clearly: "I will not kiss you."

If he does that, he's already done better than his predecessor ...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

No.

Interestingly I think only two ministers have ever been both Health and Education Secretary. Alan Johnson was one. Any guesses as to the other?
    That old friend of Mr Eagles, Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    THE SUN ON SUNDAY: Matt Finished #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1408877217703137287/photo/1

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The score doesn't reflect how dominant Italy has been. I cannot see Austria holding out for another half.
    Nor me.

Just bet on Italy to win @1.8 as well as backing them in the handicaps

They’ll easily win this in the 90 mins
  • Options
    SUNDAY MAIL: Matt’s All, Folks #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1408877625658036226/photo/1

• Options

Kenneth Clarke.

It must though be tough for you to have your 21st century heroes, Dave and George, from the other place?
  • Options

Javid is joining a department that has faced unprecedented challenges over the last eighteen months; challenges that only change in form, not reduce, once the damned pox is beaten. Its staff are overworked, tired, and stressed.

He has one job to do on Monday morning. He needs to get all his senior staff together, stare them in their eyes, and say clearly: "I will not kiss you."

If he does that, he's already done better than his predecessor ...

‘I will not screw you’ might go down even better...
  • Options

Is that Peter Stringfellow ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

You just put party politics before the good of the country.
    Err ... what ?

I have said on a previous thread I would vote for Kim If I lived in B&S.

But, there is a reason why Labour are in a mess in B&S.

I am pointing it out. An inexperienced candidate.

It was noticeable in the link that @bigjohnowls provided earlier that Naz Shah knew how to deal with the anti-LGBT heckler and Kim didn't.
  • Options

Kenneth Clarke.

It must though be tough for you to have your 21st century heroes, Dave and George, from the other place?
    It's fine.

If I can deal with a Frenchman being manager of Liverpool I can support most things.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804

@Dominic2306

LOL! He's gone to all this trouble to get Cock Out and now he's moaning about his replacement!

Classic Dom! :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

No.

That old friend of Mr Eagles, Ken Clarke.
    Correct.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,566
    Sir John Curtice on GB News, talking about Hancock.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

No.

Margaret Thatcher milk snatcher*.

Ken Clarke?

Both jobs do seem poison.

*as someone who remembers school milk, it was horrible and often refused.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The last (and indeed only) Health Secretary to make it to PM was in fact Neville Chamberlain (1922-23 and 1924-29).
    Still can’t bring myself to believe that PM Ken Clarke might have made WWIII inevitable, though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

No.

Ken Clarke and Keith Joseph.
This discussion has been closed.