Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hancock bows to the inevitable and decides to quit – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited June 2021 in General
imageHancock bows to the inevitable and decides to quit – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    First
  • Options
    Hancock should have argued Gina Colangelo's legs were always two metres apart and he would have survived.

#IWouldHaveMadeAnExcellentSpinDoctor
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Is that a record for the shortest ever thread on PB? Just on five minutes and 13 posts, I make it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    edited June 2021
    good riddance to bad rubbish , he will not be missed.
    PS: that should count as a first as TSE has insider knowledge.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2021
    That was a short lived thread!

Is it fair to say that the government is rocking out with its cock out?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Bye. Good riddance. Lying hypocritical twat.

• Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

How the feck is George Galloway using the honorific Honourable?

Is he the younger son of an Earl or maybe the son of a Viscount or Baron?

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/652949163576041472
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You would still have lost to me though :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is that a record for the shortest ever thread on PB? Just on five minutes and 13 posts, I make it.

Mike once culled an overnight thread of mine after three posts.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    ydoethur said:

Probably.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Many politicians will doubtless be crowing, but I do not see why.

They were Hancock's facilitators. They are Johnson's facilitators. They gave a cabal of politicians extraordinary powers that, unsurprisingly, have been abused. As they were always going to be.

This does not just reflect badly on the Hancock and the government. It reflects badly on all the MPs who voted, several times, to endow these powers.

This is as much their fault as it is Hancock's.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Was the previous thread the shortest lived thread in PB history? :open_mouth:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Good to see you’re not bitter or anything.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,251
    I cannot think of when I was last this surprised by anything in politics. Maybe the 2017GE? I am genuinely astonished.

Also, of course, entirely wrong, yet again, in my judgement of how things were going to pan out.
  • Options
    Gnud said:

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

What a terrible country. Have they no standards?
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Gnud said:

Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
  • Options
    Two views:

Stig Abell
    @StigAbell
    This will be an unpopular view but I do think that Hancock has had an incredibly difficult year, where he has worked against the odds in a sometimes impossible job. I am sure he tried his best. He definitely needed to go, but this sort of family angst is hard to gloat over.

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    14m
    Are you kidding? He was responsible for the deaths of thousands of elderly people discharged from hospital into care homes. He lied and said he’d put a “ring of steel” around them!
    He imposed harsh, cruel rules on others which he was happy to break himself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good to see you’re not bitter or anything.
    No, it was totally justified.

I had written a thread at 11pm on the 2012 Presidential election to publish at 3am. Whilst I was asleep a plethora of new (and closer) polls (nationwide and state) had come out and Mike rightly decided to cover those.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296

Agreed and his successor needs to confirm freedom on the 19th July
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    So. Is anyone asking how long this has been going on? And who knew what, when?
    Putting your mistress on the payroll at the taxpayer's expense seems to be a spooky coincidence.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    ydoethur said:

Odd thing is it was published after the resignation announcement. (Not complaining, just an observation).
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I cannot think of when I was last this surprised by anything in politics. Maybe the 2017GE? I am genuinely astonished.

Also, of course, entirely wrong, yet again, in my judgement of how things were going to pan out.

I knew he was finished but thought he's probably brazen it out until Sunday night/Monday morning.

Makes you wonder what the News Of The.. sorry Sun On Sunday has got ready to roll...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    NEW: Gina Coladangelo is leaving her position on the board of the department of health
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,383
    It leaves open the question of who put the camera there, which is probably not the same as who leaked it to the Sun.

The Telegraph suggests that security in government buildings is usually handled by private companies. Remarkable if true.
  • Options
    Gina Coladangelo leaving her position
  • Options

Will no one think of the journalists who file early and head off to watch football?

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    5h
    Boris Johnson will keep Matt Hancock for now – and then reshuffle him. My Sunday article for
    @Independent

There was a newspaper reporter who was watching a county match. He left half an hour early to go to a dinner, having written a final sentence ‘At the close Surrey were _ for _’ and asked the typesetter to fill in the blanks.

At 9pm he rang up to ask if everything had gone OK. ‘No it bloody well didn’t,’ came the irritable reply. ‘The missing figures were 14 and 10. We had to rewrite it.’

More here:
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rewind-to-1983-when-surrey-were-bowled-out-for-14-468576
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204

It was the humiliation, I think. Could no longer do the job. I'm sure Johnson is disappointed. He'd have thought it a real laugh to have kept him.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Why would the policy change simply because the person is?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Hopefully Zahavi gets the job. He will have been immersed in a lot of vaccine statistics over the last few months so will be much more difficult to fool with dodgy data.
  • Options
    A Welsh person tweets.

Well, that’s me done with bacon, Carlsberg and bleak crime drama.

Lego can fuck off as well

https://twitter.com/elisjames/status/1408837477868126219
    https://twitter.com/elisjames/status/1408845984910749701
  • Options
    Congratulations to those who correctly bet on Hancock as next out of the cabinet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    Well, I got that right!

Cheerio.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I dare say that both she and Mr Hancock will have no trouble finding new positions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Gina Coladangelo is leaving her role at the Department of Health

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1408848743080894470?s=20
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Big reshuffle? Or just slot in a replacement?

given the success of the of the vaccine role out, which is coming to an end now Nadhim Zahawi the vaccine minister, looks a good pick for me,

Yes its a big promotion, but it would set a principle of do well - get promoted, which is good, his old job is coming to an end so this would be a simple things to do, no need for a big reshuffle, and his past job will have given him some experience of dealing with the NHS/heath department, so less time needed to get him fully briefed up at what is a busy time for the NHS.

I spoke to some people who where at his selection to be the Tory candidate, apparently he came across as head and shoulders above all the rest, one chap who was on the committee told me, a (safe) seat like ours has an obligation to find people who can be good cabinet ministers one day.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Gnud said:

Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
    Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Weirdly, Boris is sticking to him and effectively accusing the public of hounding him out of the job. He's such a cock.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    Cee U Next Tuesday, Matt.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    dixiedean said:

Putting your mistress on the payroll at the taxpayer's expense seems to be a spooky coincidence.

Another what goes on tour, stays on tour resignation triggered by timing.

Noticed @TSE asked about possible successors elsewhere, I'm not sure that Hunt should be in the running. He may have been Health Secretary for ages, but he did leave a poisoned chalice when it came to the outbreak of the covid19 pandemic.
  • Options

Well, there will be a new Secretary of State who will presumably wish for another mistress, so I think the position sort of left her.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    I’m not celebrating until we see who Johnson appoints. How about Dido’s husband?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,182
    edited June 2021
    Ola and good evening from Majorca!

*burps*

• Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

You would still have lost to me though :smile:
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited June 2021
    "Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time" - Hancock to wife on Thursday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktZ9R5XZas
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Number 10 stressing it was Hancock's decision to go, he wasn't pushed out by PM - altho Tory MPs had become increasingly restive about him staying on through the day

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1408847204631171074?s=20
  • Options
    Genuine waves of nostalgia seeing a member of the government resign for breaking the rules / loss of trust / incompetence. You thought you might never see the day again, quite frankly.

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1408849441147265031
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Weirdly, Boris is sticking to him and effectively accusing the public of hounding him out of the job. He's such a cock.

He can go Han his cock.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447

Two views:

Stig Abell
    @StigAbell
    This will be an unpopular view but I do think that Hancock has had an incredibly difficult year, where he has worked against the odds in a sometimes impossible job. I am sure he tried his best. He definitely needed to go, but this sort of family angst is hard to gloat over.

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    14m
    Are you kidding? He was responsible for the deaths of thousands of elderly people discharged from hospital into care homes. He lied and said he’d put a “ring of steel” around them!

Allison Pearson at risk of arguing Hancock was both not interventionist enough and too interventionist there.

I do agree with Stig Abell, actually, that he put a lot of effort in. I have never seen a minister look so tired.
    He did break his own stupid rules though.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
    Maybe not at the start, but they adore him now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Congratulations to those who correctly bet on Hancock as next out of the cabinet.

I almost backed Hancock to be out by the end of the month but I could not find the Ladbrokes market, and gave up once I remembered that Ladbrokes have taken to slashing my already meagre stakes.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer
    @Keir_Starmer
    Matt Hancock is right to resign. But Boris Johnson should have sacked him.

Can you follow suit please Keir
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When "Cummings to Durham" broke I immediately chucked 100 quid on him staying.

This time something made me stay my hand and I did not bet.

Feeling pretty happy right now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Unfortunately Boris has got far too big for his boots with this 80 seat majority. In just 18 months he's already like Blair was around 2003 and Maggie was in 1988.

He needs cutting down to size ASAP
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Her brother seems to have done well out of it as well, supposedly got big contracts and now seems Cocky used private e-mail for handing out the dodgy deals so hard to tell how many he gave out.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes, Wales getting hammered makes all happy now.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

What Galloway will do is play the division card to get the Islamic vote, and then claim Starmer is out of step with Labour supporters. It really is the most shallow and dishonest politics, to burn and spurn and sow disunity and division rather than the hard work of building and uniting. For turning his back on doing the right thing he doesn’t deserve a single vote. Even Tories and Tory press should support the Labour candidate here to ensure Galloway does not end up with the biggest grin.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    MaxPB said:

Hopefully Zahavi gets the job. He will have been immersed in a lot of vaccine statistics over the last few months so will be much more difficult to fool with dodgy data.

Hmmm. Sajid Javid in with a chance....
  • Options

Keir Starmer
    @Keir_Starmer
    Matt Hancock is right to resign. But Boris Johnson should have sacked him.

Can you follow suit please Keir

I don’t think he has the authority to sack Matt Hancock.
  • Options

Number 10 stressing it was Hancock's decision to go, he wasn't pushed out by PM - altho Tory MPs had become increasingly restive about him staying on through the day

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1408847204631171074?s=20

Thanks to the flood of emails and letters they have received no doubt.
  • Options

I dare say that both she and Mr Hancock will have no trouble finding new positions.
    karma suture
  • Options
    If you want a holibobs, book the Balearics NOW. They are desperate for business, you can get 4 star hotels for 2-3 star prices, the hotels are 30% full in July so you can enjoy superb service and empty pools

It’s pretty much perfect, and they’re going Green on Wednesday. No quarantine. You don’t even need a test to come out
  • Options
    Tom Peck
    @tompeck
    ·
    19m
    If Hancock’s looking for work, the barman from his local owes him a favour…
  • Options

MaxPB said:

A host of useless arses to pick from.
  • Options

It leaves open the question of who put the camera there, which is probably not the same as who leaked it to the Sun.

The Telegraph suggests that security in government buildings is usually handled by private companies. Remarkable if true.

Is there much of a defence of national interest, or should those who likely received a huge pay day from the sun whilst also breaking their terms of employment and the OSA be perused and fired, or even jailed?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,740

Why not?

Cheapest lower primates available do the work, for peanuts.

Profits go to ...
  • Options
    Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound
    NEW: Gina Coladangelo is leaving her position on the board of the department of health

Now can someone find out why she was employed (no health experience etc) and what she was doing all the time?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    If this is true, the question I ended my piece with last night- “what is the threshold for prime ministerial sanction in Boris Johnson’s government?” effectively remains unanswered. https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1408846995570270208
  • Options
    Leon said:

If you want a holibobs, book the Balearics NOW. They are desperate for business, you can get 4 star hotels for 2-3 star prices, the hotels are 30% full in July so you can enjoy superb service and empty pools

It’s pretty much perfect, and they’re going Green on Wednesday. No quarantine. You don’t even need a test to come out

Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    Hell of a game going on at Twickers. 4 tries a piece, Exeter leading Quins 31-26 with about 10 minutes left..
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Is there much of a defence of national interest, or should those who likely received a huge pay day from the sun whilst also breaking their terms of employment and the OSA be perused and fired, or even jailed?
    Graun says the Gmt decided not to prosecute, because whistleblowing.
  • Options

Virus permitting. That little virus has been rather forgotten in Tory discourse of late. (But it would be nice, I entirely agree.)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Thanks for the tip.
    The only faff is Palma airport: long queues for passport - mainly covid with a hint of Brexit. Make sure you get a QR code by filling in the Spanish form online - takes about 10 minutes. Some chaos around baggage etc. The staff all look like people coming out of hibernation

But my God you are welcome. They are overjoyed to see tourists
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1408490348184281099

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham
    Why we are referring a series of transactions involving the Prime Minister's advisor Munira Mirza, Priti Patel and Matt Hancock to the Serious Fraud Office. THREA
  • Options

Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

Now can someone find out why she was employed (no health experience etc) and what she was doing all the time?

Spielman has no experience of education.

Harding has no experience of testing.

They had - other qualifications. As in, they were friends of the right people.

Although even by those low standards this appointment was a blatant one.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,254
    Cookie said:

Two views:

Stig Abell
    @StigAbell

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    14m

Allison Pearson at risk of arguing Hancock was both not interventionist enough and too interventionist there.

I do agree with Stig Abell, actually, that he put a lot of effort in. I have never seen a minister look so tired.
    He did break his own stupid rules though.
    He was partly responsible for the interesting decision to give the Oxford vaccine to AstraZeneca who had little experience of making vaccines. Which from the point of view of the UK worked out well in giving the UK a lot of doses early on. But from the point of view of the whole of humanity might have been one of the most disastrous decisions of the pandemic.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226

Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

She was employed as his bint. The Blue Labour Cult gives out jobs and lucrative contracts to their mates remember. Mancock's pub landlord got a PPE contract, another contract to his mum. Other contracts for PPE awarded with no tender to donors with zero track record in procuring PPE whilst actual supply companies get ignored when contacting the DoH directly.

As Charles insists, they definitely aren't RICO and its all above board as demonstrated by her removal as soon as he quit...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Alistair said:

I am sure England will get hammered by Germany, and everyone bar the English will be absolutely delighted. (After all, England's lumbering attack has scored fewer goals than the Welsh).

Normally, an early exit for the England team minimises the amount of vandalism, racism & violence associated with any given tournament.

Oh, I am sorry. I remember.

When the Scots and Welsh support ABE, that is evidence of our bad anti-English attitude.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    kinabalu said:

It was the humiliation, I think. Could no longer do the job. I'm sure Johnson is disappointed. He'd have thought it a real laugh to have kept him.
    The public reaction, I think.
    Nick Clegg sized.

Might have tried to cling on otherwise. The response on Any Answers was both quite amusing and utterly brutal.
  • Options
    Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    (FPT)

dixiedean said:

So let me understand.
    On Thursday night Hancock announced he's leaving his family, for his Mistress, who is on the government payroll, on his say so.
    And he, and the PM thought he could brazen it out?
    We need to be told exactly how long this has been going on.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is a Charles/Camilla thing and has been going on and for years/decade.

Like Hancock, Prince Charles went to the University of Cambridge.

What is it with the finest university in the world producing so many fornicators and adulterers?
    Tbf, they do produce some quite exceptional shits.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447

MaxPB said:

I'm hoping Sajid is being earmarked for education.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

I'm hoping Sajid is being earmarked for education.
    There are plenty in Johnson’s government and civil service in urgent need of education. I would put Javid low down the list of priorities for it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham
    Why we are referring a series of transactions involving the Prime Minister's advisor Munira Mirza, Priti Patel and Matt Hancock to the Serious Fraud Office. THREA

An outrageous accusation. Handing out £107m contracts without tender to your friends, patrons, mum and pub landlord is entirely above board as BigG and Charles endlessly insist.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,251
    Amazingly mismatched T20 in Sofia today, Serbia (115/7) losing to Romania (116/0 after 5.4 overs), Romania run-rate of 20.47, Taranjeet Singh scoring 57 off 19 balls and Ramesh Satheesan 56 off 15 balls, for a strike rate of 373.33.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sofia-twenty20-2021-1267300/romania-vs-serbia-1st-semi-final-1267310/full-scorecard
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

I'm on Barra and it's pretty fucking cool. Just back from St Kilda so it feels like New York. It has cars! Human inhabitants! Two bars!!
  • Options

Amazingly mismatched T20 in Sofia today, Serbia (115/7) losing to Romania (116/0 after 5.4 overs), Romania run-rate of 20.47, Taranjeet Singh scoring 57 off 19 balls and Ramesh Satheesan 56 off 15 balls, for a strike rate of 373.33.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sofia-twenty20-2021-1267300/romania-vs-serbia-1st-semi-final-1267310/full-scorecard

I bet the Indian bookmakers had a field day with that match.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

dixiedean said:

So let me understand.
    On Thursday night Hancock announced he's leaving his family, for his Mistress, who is on the government payroll, on his say so.
    And he, and the PM thought he could brazen it out?
    We need to be told exactly how long this has been going on.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is a Charles/Camilla thing and has been going on and for years/decade.

Like Hancock, Prince Charles went to the University of Cambridge.

What is it with the finest university in the world producing so many fornicators and adulterers?
    Tbf, they do produce some quite exceptional shits.
    Sounds like fake news to me.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

85% approval of trump from evangelicals, they have give him his strongest support.

They absolutely adore Trump, hypocrites that they are.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Labour have moved from 4.5 to 7.2 in Batley & Spen over the last 24 hours.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.183248116
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Leon said:

Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go

All of it caused by Hancock, himself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

He really didn't. He has done nothing that Shagger or the Traitor or himself have already done without even a slap on the wrist. Breaking the code? No penalty. Lying and cheating? No penalty. Lying to and bullying your colleagues? No penalty.

This government has already declared all such mandatory resignation transgressions to be OK behaviour, cheered on by the remaining PB Tories. That a couple of them now claim to be on the moral high ground is a joke like the notion of propriety in a public office.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Was the snog tape intended to bring Hancock down but his position was unexpectedly strong and he survived, so the email account had to be revealed in order to get the knockout? I doubt it, but if that's how it was then one is reminded of the French cabinet when half of its member

Two views:

Stig Abell
    @StigAbell

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    14m

Was the snog tape intended to bring Hancock down but his position was unexpectedly strong and he survived, so the email account had to be revealed in order to secure the knockout? I doubt it, but if that's how it was then one is reminded of the French cabinet when to mess with some of its members meant messing with the OAS. Hancock surely wasn't that strong.

More likely, the release of the snog tape was to shape the optics of Hancock's fall.

When a person bribes a public official, the person is guilty of bribery and the official of corruption. Similar thinking should prevail when a minister negotiates mega-contracts using a private email account.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Because I backed them at 4.6 earlier?

There must surely be a poll out, 7 is amazing otherwise
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Virus permitting. That little virus has been rather forgotten in Tory discourse of late. (But it would be nice, I entirely agree.)
    Infection rates are certainly upwardly mobile, not just in UK but outside. In some UK places hospitalisation rates doubling, though from a low base number.

It depends if link between infection and hospital treatment and death is broken. Some say proven. Some say not proven yet.

Vaccines seem to be working at breaking that link in my opinion. If the next couple of weeks prove they are not, the government may have to lock us down even more than we currently are. That will deflate all of us.

The disappointing thing could turn out to be, racing ahead of the rest of the world in vaccination allows variants too much freedom to form elsewhere and then stop us from relaxing and declaring victory. 😕
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    @PoliticsForAlI

BREAKING: Nadhim Zahawi will be Hancock’s replacement

Make of this what you will.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

Alistair said:

I am sure England will get hammered by Germany, and everyone bar the English will be absolutely delighted. (After all, England's lumbering attack has scored fewer goals than the Welsh).

Normally, an early exit for the England team minimises the amount of vandalism, racism & violence associated with any given tournament.

Oh, I am sorry. I remember.

When the Scots and Welsh support ABE, that is evidence of our bad anti-English attitude.
    Denmark’s a good country, and you can’t argue they weren’t the better team.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Because I backed them at 4.6 earlier?

There must surely be a poll out, 7 is amazing otherwise
    It is strange, except there isn't much liquidity in the market atm, so it could be a small number of punters making a big difference to the numbers.
  • Options

eek said:

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham

An outrageous accusation. Handing out £107m contracts without tender to your friends, patrons, mum and pub landlord is entirely above board as BigG and Charles endlessly insist.
    Please show any post I have made that endorses illegal contracts, and also produce your evidence for your accusations or do you mean allegations
This discussion has been closed.