Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hancock bows to the inevitable and decides to quit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

Alistair said:

When "Cummings to Durham" broke I immediately chucked 100 quid on him staying.

This time something made me stay my hand and I did not bet.

Feeling pretty happy right now.

Yes, Wales getting hammered makes all happy now.
    I am sure England will get hammered by Germany, and everyone bar the English will be absolutely delighted. (After all, England's lumbering attack has scored fewer goals than the Welsh).

Normally, an early exit for the England team minimises the amount of vandalism, racism & violence associated with any given tournament.

Oh, I am sorry. I remember.

When the Scots and Welsh support ABE, that is evidence of our bad anti-English attitude.
    You need to be more like Mark Drakeford.

Those who understand Wales realised he was an awesome guy as well as politician and would do well, unlike you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987

@PoliticsForAlI

BREAKING: Nadhim Zahawi will be Hancock’s replacement

Make of this what you will.

Is that account ever accurate?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

eek said:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1408490348184281099

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham
    Why we are referring a series of transactions involving the Prime Minister's advisor Munira Mirza, Priti Patel and Matt Hancock to the Serious Fraud Office. THREA

An outrageous accusation. Handing out £107m contracts without tender to your friends, patrons, mum and pub landlord is entirely above board as BigG and Charles endlessly insist.
    It had to be done in a hurry or else we would be in the mess the EU are in, whose policy Labour fought for us to join, successfully seen off by the wisdom of Boris.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour have moved from 4.5 to 7.2 in Batley & Spen over the last 24 hours.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.183248116

Because I backed them at 4.6 earlier?

There must surely be a poll out, 7 is amazing otherwise
    Has an incumbent party hold ever been considered less likely in by election betting ?
  • Options
    Anyhoo, must dash, need to rework the morning thread entitled

'Hancock can survive if England beat Germany on Tuesday.'
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

@PoliticsForAlI

He will be a darn sight better Health Secretary, for one.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Two views:

Stig Abell
    @StigAbell
    This will be an unpopular view but I do think that Hancock has had an incredibly difficult year, where he has worked against the odds in a sometimes impossible job. I am sure he tried his best. He definitely needed to go, but this sort of family angst is hard to gloat over.

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    14m
    Are you kidding? He was responsible for the deaths of thousands of elderly people discharged from hospital into care homes. He lied and said he’d put a “ring of steel” around them!
    He imposed harsh, cruel rules on others which he was happy to break himself.

You can side with the human being or you can side with Allison Pearson. Your decision is a mark of whether you have common humanity.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    gealbhan said:

It leaves open the question of who put the camera there, which is probably not the same as who leaked it to the Sun.

The Telegraph suggests that security in government buildings is usually handled by private companies. Remarkable if true.

Is there much of a defence of national interest, or should those who likely received a huge pay day from the sun whilst also breaking their terms of employment and the OSA be perused and fired, or even jailed?
    No they have done the nation a favour getting rid of a complete lying no good crooked chancer. Medal more appropriate.
  • Options

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Has an incumbent party hold ever been considered less likely in by election betting ?
    Yes, Norwich North and Crewe & Nantwich I recall seem to be much higher.

Probably same for Corby.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Astonishing really. How can they be 6/1???
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

If you want a holibobs, book the Balearics NOW. They are desperate for business, you can get 4 star hotels for 2-3 star prices, the hotels are 30% full in July so you can enjoy superb service and empty pools

It’s pretty much perfect, and they’re going Green on Wednesday. No quarantine. You don’t even need a test to come out

I'm on Barra and it's pretty fucking cool. Just back from St Kilda so it feels like New York. It has cars! Human inhabitants! Two bars!!
    Enjoy! I shall be back there in September. Tis wonderful.

(Although jealous about St. Kilda. On the Bucket List....)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357

@PoliticsForAlI

He has been excellent in his current role, even Sadiq Khan has praised him

And I believe his profession was in chemical engineering
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

@PoliticsForAlI

Sounds like a good chose to me, the minister that led the one part of our Pandemic response that has rightly been a widely acclaimed successes.

Yes its a big promotion, but it would set a principle of do well - get promoted, which is good, his old job is coming to an end so this would be a simple things to do, no need for a big reshuffle, and his past job will have given him some experience of dealing with the NHS/heath department, so less time needed to get him fully briefed up at what is a busy time for the NHS.

I spoke to some people who where at his selection to be the Tory candidate, apparently he came across as head and shoulders above all the rest, one of the people who was on the committee told me, a (safe) seat like ours has an obligation to find people who can be good cabinet ministers, and that why they chose him.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited June 2021
    "One of the greatest successes of the modern state"!

Boris Johnson's reply to Matt Hancock's resignation letter.

This is how Boris Johnson signs his name:

• Options
    Actually looking at it the Tories were definitely longer in the Clacton by election, I guess the same would be in Rochester & Strood.

But those are rare circumstances.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

dixiedean said:

So let me understand.
    On Thursday night Hancock announced he's leaving his family, for his Mistress, who is on the government payroll, on his say so.
    And he, and the PM thought he could brazen it out?
    We need to be told exactly how long this has been going on.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is a Charles/Camilla thing and has been going on and for years/decade.

Like Hancock, Prince Charles went to the University of Cambridge.

What is it with the finest university in the world producing so many fornicators and adulterers?
    Tbf, they do produce some quite exceptional shits.
    And spies!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042

Leon said:

Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go

He really didn't. He has done nothing that Shagger or the Traitor or himself have already done without even a slap on the wrist. Breaking the code? No penalty. Lying and cheating? No penalty. Lying to and bullying your colleagues? No penalty.

This government has already declared all such mandatory resignation transgressions to be OK behaviour, cheered on by the remaining PB Tories. That a couple of them now claim to be on the moral high ground is a joke like the notion of propriety in a public office.
    This, a hundred times over - a reminder for the many right-wing dimwits who live on this blog.

If Hancock has resigned why hasn't the disingenuous racist fat fornicator (many times over)?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

Bye. Good riddance. Lying hypocritical twat.

Agreed and his successor needs to confirm freedom on the 19th July
    Virus permitting. That little virus has been rather forgotten in Tory discourse of late. (But it would be nice, I entirely agree.)
    Infection rates are certainly upwardly mobile, not just in UK but outside. In some UK places hospitalisation rates doubling, though from a low base number.

It depends if link between infection and hospital treatment and death is broken. Some say proven. Some say not proven yet.

Vaccines seem to be working at breaking that link in my opinion. If the next couple of weeks prove they are not, the government may have to lock us down even more than we currently are. That will deflate all of us.

The disappointing thing could turn out to be, racing ahead of the rest of the world in vaccination allows variants too much freedom to form elsewhere and then stop us from relaxing and declaring victory. 😕
    Seems unlikely. It's always worth repeating that the evidence from the places that have been hit soonest and hardest by Delta, allied to that showing very high rates of protection from the vaccines against serious illness, points to a satisfactory outcome. The disease is undoubtedly going to seek out and kill some of the remaining vulnerable - overwhelmingly amongst the unvaccinated, and old people for whom vaccines haven't worked that well - but there's nothing to suggest at this stage that the hospitals will get swamped or come anywhere close to so being. And, without that, there's no excuse for domestic restrictions, because the ongoing harm that they cause will exceed their residual benefit.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

It is strange, except there isn't much liquidity in the market atm, so it could be a small number of punters making a big difference to the numbers.
    What does 4.6 to 7 mean.. doesn't that mean Galloway is chewing Labour votes...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

If you want a holibobs, book the Balearics NOW. They are desperate for business, you can get 4 star hotels for 2-3 star prices, the hotels are 30% full in July so you can enjoy superb service and empty pools

It’s pretty much perfect, and they’re going Green on Wednesday. No quarantine. You don’t even need a test to come out

I'm on Barra and it's pretty fucking cool. Just back from St Kilda so it feels like New York. It has cars! Human inhabitants! Two bars!!
    Enjoy! I shall be back there in September. Tis wonderful.

(Although jealous about St. Kilda. On the Bucket List....)
    Got dive bombed by skuas and vomited at by a fulmar. Fucking birds. On the plus side saw and heard a corncrake on pabbay this morning.

Get to St Kilda, whatever it takes. It is magical.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Alistair said:

I am sure England will get hammered by Germany, and everyone bar the English will be absolutely delighted. (After all, England's lumbering attack has scored fewer goals than the Welsh).

Normally, an early exit for the England team minimises the amount of vandalism, racism & violence associated with any given tournament.

When the Scots and Welsh support ABE, that is evidence of our bad anti-English attitude.

Those who understand Wales realised he was an awesome guy as well as politician and would do well, unlike you.
    Ah yes, now let me see. Our last little exchange was on George Osborne's jobs.

You promised little George only had the one job, honour bright.

https://tinyurl.com/ymj9jszd

It was the usual pile of offal from TSE.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

@PoliticsForAlI

He has been excellent in his current role, even Sadiq Khan has praised him

And I believe his profession was in chemical engineering
    He was Co-Founder setting up YouGov, so has experience with statistics and as an entrapner/manager.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

How the feck is George Galloway using the honorific Honourable?

Is he the younger son of an Earl or maybe the son of a Viscount or Baron?

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/652949163576041472
    Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
    Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
    What Galloway will do is play the division card to get the Islamic vote, and then claim Starmer is out of step with Labour supporters. It really is the most shallow and dishonest politics, to burn and spurn and sow disunity and division rather than the hard work of building and uniting. For turning his back on doing the right thing he doesn’t deserve a single vote. Even Tories and Tory press should support the Labour candidate here to ensure Galloway does not end up with the biggest grin.
    The Tories will be supporting the Conservative candidate, who’s now the clear favourite with the left vote split.
  • Options

Alistair said:

He had the one job at the time.

That job was offered to him two days ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,455
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

After you’re done you must come to Majorca (or similar)

It’s like the Mediterranean 50 years ago. So quiet, so blissfully peaceful. And yet with modern restaurants and bars

The next few weeks will be a unique chance to see this perfect corner of the world, as it once was (yet with sushi bars). Later in the summer, certainly next year, the tourist hordes will be back, and this enchanted mood will disperse forever
  • Options

Actually looking at it the Tories were definitely longer in the Clacton by election, I guess the same would be in Rochester & Strood.

But those are rare circumstances.

There was a poll in Clacton wasn't there, that gave UKIP a really big lead?

6 point lead in the only poll here, seems amazing Labour are 6/1, esp with all this Tory sleaze gwan on

• Options
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

Underneath all this is a small human tragedy. Broken marriage, kids in pain, it is sad. Can’t feel any satisfaction at Hancock going even if he absolutely HAD to go

He really didn't. He has done nothing that Shagger or the Traitor or himself have already done without even a slap on the wrist. Breaking the code? No penalty. Lying and cheating? No penalty. Lying to and bullying your colleagues? No penalty.

This government has already declared all such mandatory resignation transgressions to be OK behaviour, cheered on by the remaining PB Tories. That a couple of them now claim to be on the moral high ground is a joke like the notion of propriety in a public office.
    This, a hundred times over - a reminder for the many right-wing dimwits who live on this blog.

If Hancock has resigned why hasn't the disingenuous racist fat fornicator (many times over)?
    You do know he resigned over breaching his own covid rules not his affair

As so many have said on here his adultery is not the reason for his resignation and if it was, just how many politicians of all political persuasions would have to resign
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,543
    Gnud said:

"One of the greatest successes of the modern state"!

Boris Johnson's reply to Matt Hancock's resignation letter.

This is how Boris Johnson signs his name:

Is the right-hand bit...

... Actually a Johnson?
  • Options

@PoliticsForAlI

Channel 4 news have confirmed.

I'm on quite a roll today! 😉
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Javid the new Health Secretary.

CALLED IT.

Legendary modesty klaxon time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

No. Sajid Javid has got the gig.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    GB News says it’s Sajid
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

It is strange, except there isn't much liquidity in the market atm, so it could be a small number of punters making a big difference to the numbers.
    Tories have shortened and Galloway about the same price as earlier
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,201

CALLED IT.

Remind me, why did he resign as Chancellor?
  • Options

Alistair said:

So, let see if you can do some adding with that much vaunted Cambridge degree.

How many jobs has Little George got?
  • Options

RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Blimey. The media are all over the place
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

CALLED IT.

Probably not a bad appointment
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

CALLED IT.

Because he refused to be a sub to Dom.
  • Options

RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

It's just a bunch of retweets of stuff and speculation. I ignore it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

CALLED IT.

Really? I thought it was me that tipped him.

Zahawi for Education Secretary, perhaps?
  • Options

Alistair said:

So, let see if you can do some adding with that much vaunted Cambridge degree.

How many jobs has Little George got?
    When you asked me at the time, he had one.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    PM appoints former chancellor Sajid Javid as new health secretary

Saturday 26 June 2021 19:51, UK

Why you can trust Sky News

Former chancellor Sajid Javid has been appointed health secretary after the resignation of Matt Hancock, Downing Street says.

The Bromsgrove MP previously served as home secretary from 2018 to 2019 - and then as chancellor until February last year, when he was replaced by Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    In the middle of a pandemic you surely want a safe pair of hand, someone who knows the dept/area. I suppose Johnson still hasn't buried the hatched with Hunt.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

CALLED IT.

Because he refused to be a sub to Dom.
    Rightly, given Cummings was a liar, a bully, a crook, a forger and on his own admission presided over a system that was totally inadequate and unfit for purpose.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

Dimwits? Can't recall any posts of yours which suggest an IQ in the 3 figures.
  • Options

Leon said:

Whatever. You lefties are just evil

I agree Hancock had to go. No question. Said it 24 hours ago. On here. Boris was a fool to even delay it

But Hancock seems a decent man doing his best who has majorly fucked up in a global crisis and comes across as a massive hypocrite. He now faces a broken family and kids that might hate him. I cannot gloat or exult in this situation, unlike you. Love and sex make people do stupid things. And, if pushed, I’d rather a man break the law and the rules for love, than money

He’s gone. It is done. Let him repair his life, if he can, in private
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,571
    eek said:

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham
    Why we are referring a series of transactions involving the Prime Minister's advisor Munira Mirza, Priti Patel and Matt Hancock to the Serious Fraud Office. THREA

That thread is well worth a read. Maugham is obviously receiving lots of leaked emails etc. from within government, which suggests there's several whistleblowers around in the Civil Service (probably - it can't all be Cummings). As there should be - it really does smack of a) corruption, and b) massive wastage of taxpayers' money.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

After you’re done you must come to Majorca (or similar)

It’s like the Mediterranean 50 years ago. So quiet, so blissfully peaceful. And yet with modern restaurants and bars

The next few weeks will be a unique chance to see this perfect corner of the world, as it once was (yet with sushi bars). Later in the summer, certainly next year, the tourist hordes will be back, and this enchanted mood will disperse forever
    Whilst on Majorca, try

https://castellsonclaret.com/gastronomy/olivera-restaurant-in-castell-son-claret-mallorca/

Hopefully its standards haven't slipped during Covid. We have never been disappointed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

CALLED IT.

See this tweet over an hour go by me.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1408840754529804292
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

Virus permitting. That little virus has been rather forgotten in Tory discourse of late. (But it would be nice, I entirely agree.)
    Infection rates are certainly upwardly mobile, not just in UK but outside. In some UK places hospitalisation rates doubling, though from a low base number.

It depends if link between infection and hospital treatment and death is broken. Some say proven. Some say not proven yet.

Vaccines seem to be working at breaking that link in my opinion. If the next couple of weeks prove they are not, the government may have to lock us down even more than we currently are. That will deflate all of us.

The disappointing thing could turn out to be, racing ahead of the rest of the world in vaccination allows variants too much freedom to form elsewhere and then stop us from relaxing and declaring victory. 😕
    Seems unlikely. It's always worth repeating that the evidence from the places that have been hit soonest and hardest by Delta, allied to that showing very high rates of protection from the vaccines against serious illness, points to a satisfactory outcome. The disease is undoubtedly going to seek out and kill some of the remaining vulnerable - overwhelmingly amongst the unvaccinated, and old people for whom vaccines haven't worked that well - but there's nothing to suggest at this stage that the hospitals will get swamped or come anywhere close to so being. And, without that, there's no excuse for domestic restrictions, because the ongoing harm that they cause will exceed their residual benefit.
    I’m not arguing. Insaid my reading of it vaccines are breaking that link. I’m certainly not anti vax, nor even sceptical of vaccines working to break that link.

But neither yourself or government defines swamped hospitals or acceptable number of corpses piled in street as different from unacceptable number of corpses piled up in street. Nor define the degree being under restrictions helps the success of vaccines to break the link.

And in terms of being ready for future variants, you are what percentage sure we are out of the woods? How do you know that?
  • Options
    RobD said:

In the middle of a pandemic you surely want a safe pair of hand, someone who knows the dept/area. I suppose Johnson still hasn't buried the hatched with Hunt.

Javid isn’t the greatest of ministers, but he is also unlikely to be the worst. Probably a sensible appointment.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

eek said:

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham

An outrageous accusation. Handing out £107m contracts without tender to your friends, patrons, mum and pub landlord is entirely above board as BigG and Charles endlessly insist.
    I consider the matter closed…
  • Options
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

CALLED IT.

Deleted
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,249
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Two bars on your phone?

I don't believe it!
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

If a person is unvaccinated, does it matter whether they catch the infection from another unvaccinated person or from a vaccinated person whose symptoms have been caused by the vaccine to be only mild (assuming quantitatively similar viral load)?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Javid isn’t the greatest of ministers, but he is also unlikely to be the worst. Probably a sensible appointment.
    Yeah, not a terrible appointment. I'm just saying Hunt might have been a better choice given his previous and current roles.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042

murali_s said:

Leon said:

As so many have said on here his adultery is not the reason for his resignation and if it was, just how many politicians of all political persuasions would have to resign
    I am not talking about the liar's adultery. I am talking about his lying, his racism, his dog whistle politics, his contribution to the breakup of our country. The man only cares about himself. This is our PM - the worst PM this country has ever had. I have a young son and the disingenuous t*at is no role model for him.

I couldn't care less if he shagged a thousand women.
  • Options
    So the next Tory leadership contest final two could well be Sunak v. Javid.

Thoughts and prayers with the Labour party and the racists who hate darkies/don't think immigrants integrate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Thanks for the tip.
    The only faff is Palma airport: long queues for passport - mainly covid with a hint of Brexit. Make sure you get a QR code by filling in the Spanish form online - takes about 10 minutes. Some chaos around baggage etc. The staff all look like people coming out of hibernation

But my God you are welcome. They are overjoyed to see tourists
    But who is going to make the flint dildoes in Camden?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

CALLED IT.

A whole forty minutes after this:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3454885

Edit - although if others tipped him yesterday when I was working I will concede their superiority.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Health Sec is a hospital pass right now (pun). But Saj has got experience leading a biggish team in a shit storm at DB and is honourable. Let’s see how he does.

Hopefully Zahawi gets another cabinet position instead, teeing him up to go head to head with Rishi for the leadership next year.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes, there is.
    And all of it of Hancock’s making.
  • Options
    Not going to lie.

I get quite turned on by the Italian players singing their national anthem.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Yeah, not a terrible appointment. I'm just saying Hunt might have been a better choice given his previous and current roles.
    Not disagreeing. But boring competence even if it’s not inspired leadership would make a pleasant change.
  • Options

Does that mean (thanks to you) we’ll now lose ?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,895
    edited June 2021

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

It means punters collectively believe Labour's chances have decreased from about 22% to around 14%.
  • Options

CALLED IT.

You gave a list of three.

Muffle that klaxon....
  • Options

Not going to lie.

I get quite turned on by the Italian players singing their national anthem.

Feels wrong watching Italy while eating a Chinese takeaway rather than a nice pizza.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

dixiedean said:

So let me understand.
    On Thursday night Hancock announced he's leaving his family, for his Mistress, who is on the government payroll, on his say so.
    And he, and the PM thought he could brazen it out?
    We need to be told exactly how long this has been going on.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is a Charles/Camilla thing and has been going on and for years/decade.

Like Hancock, Prince Charles went to the University of Cambridge.

What is it with the finest university in the world producing so many fornicators and adulterers?
    Tbf, they do produce some quite exceptional shits.
    And spies!
    They also were shits.
  • Options
    Why would someone put out totally false information about Nadhim Zahawi being appointed the new Health Secretary?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree Hancock had to go. No question. Said it 24 hours ago. On here. Boris was a fool to even delay it

But Hancock seems a decent man doing his best who has majorly fucked up in a global crisis and comes across as a massive hypocrite. He now faces a broken family and kids that might hate him. I cannot gloat or exult in this situation, unlike you. Love and sex make people do stupid things. And, if pushed, I’d rather a man break the law and the rules for love, than money

It is *awful* for his kids. Truly awful. Not that he gives a fuck.

How am I gloating about his resignation? Since this broke I have said repeatedly that he shouldn't go and I still think that. What he has done is no different to what the PM and Home Secretary and himself have done without sanction.
  • Options
    I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Glad it is him and not Gove though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

@PoliticsForAlI

Sensible choice. He’s done well on vaccines, knows the department, and avoids the need for a wider reshuffle.

Edit: but wrong. Javid also a safe pair of hands.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why would someone put out totally false information about Nadhim Zahawi being appointed the new Health Secretary?

Politics For All often does this, posts speculation as fact.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Does that mean (thanks to you) we’ll now lose ?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Aslan said:

Gnud said:

How the feck is George Galloway using the honorific Honourable?

Is he the younger son of an Earl or maybe the son of a Viscount or Baron?

It's for the two Pakistani awards he holds: the Hilal-I-Qaid-I-​Azzam (Crescent of the Great Leader) and the Hilali-I-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan).

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/652949163576041472
    Galloway is for British Muslims what Trump is for American Evangelicals. Someone that gives them permission for their bigotry and they adore him for it.
    Except that American Evangelicals did not adore Trump. VP Mike Pence was the Evangelicals' man. You might recall Trump, for whom everything is transactional, publicly complaining that Evangelicals had not rewarded him for his Israel policy.
    What Galloway will do is play the division card to get the Islamic vote, and then claim Starmer is out of step with Labour supporters. It really is the most shallow and dishonest politics, to burn and spurn and sow disunity and division rather than the hard work of building and uniting. For turning his back on doing the right thing he doesn’t deserve a single vote. Even Tories and Tory press should support the Labour candidate here to ensure Galloway does not end up with the biggest grin.
    The Tories will be supporting the Conservative candidate, who’s now the clear favourite with the left vote split.
    But look just how the left vote has been split. The Conservative will gain due to someone presenting no solution to Israel and Palestine tension, just supping from it. At the very least the winning Conservative Party and their commentariat need to acknowledge this is distasteful, not do the easy thing and just ignore it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Sensible choice. He’s done well on vaccines, knows the department, and avoids the need for a wider reshuffle.
    It's fake news.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

no lol
  • Options
    Always like Javid, Pakistani heritage chaps who work(ed) for a bank are awesome and so capable.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

I am not talking about the liar's adultery. I am talking about his lying, his racism, his dog whistle politics, his contribution to the breakup of our country. The man only cares about himself. This is our PM - the worst PM this country has ever had. I have a young son and the disingenuous t*at is no role model for him.

I couldn't care less if he shagged a thousand women.
    So not a fan then
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

I’m not arguing. Insaid my reading of it vaccines are breaking that link. I’m certainly not anti vax, nor even sceptical of vaccines working to break that link.

But neither yourself or government defines swamped hospitals or acceptable number of corpses piled in street as different from unacceptable number of corpses piled up in street. Nor define the degree being under restrictions helps the success of vaccines to break the link.

And in terms of being ready for future variants, you are what percentage sure we are out of the woods? How do you know that?
    I would imagine that the Government will backtrack if the hospital numbers begin to surge in such a way as to suggest the threat of tents full of dying old people in hospital car parks has returned. So long as the victims aren't filling up intensive care capacity all over the country at once then they'll just keep going, and we're a very, very long way from that.

Nobody can be absolutely certain that we're safe from all future variants, but if you're concerned about one that substantially evades the vaccines and resets the clock to zero, then you're effectively talking about a whole new pandemic. If we lived in such terror of outbreaks of new respiratory illnesses that we decided to use socio-economic garrotting as a pre-emptive measure against their emergence then clearly we'd be living with masks and social distancing and the rest of it forever, and that obviously isn't sustainable.

Once there's reasonable cause to believe that the worst of the threat has gone then, for the sake both of averting economic collapse and collective nervous breakdown, the rules need to be dumped.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Yes, there is.
    And all of it of Hancock’s making.
    Which is, you know, the definition of “tragedy”
  • Options
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.
    Truthfully? Hopefully not.

In any case, surely the camera would have broken?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

RobD said:

@PoliticsForAlI

Health Sec is a hospital pass right now (pun). But Saj has got experience leading a biggish team in a shit storm at DB and is honourable. Let’s see how he does.

Hopefully Zahawi gets another cabinet position instead, teeing him up to go head to head with Rishi for the leadership next year.
    Certainly looking very diversity heavy at the top of the Conservative Party....
  • Options
    PoliticsForAll is a sauce I won't be tasting again.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Classy:

Some people on Twitter seem to think that Michael Gove is poised to take over from Matt Hancock. But are they confident that Gove’s private life is beyond reproach? Maybe Sarah Vine can shed some light on this #BacktoBasics

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1408852539202752514?s=20
  • Options

Always like Javid, Pakistani heritage chaps who work(ed) for a bank are awesome and so capable.

And bald?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Thoughts and prayers with the Labour party and the racists who hate darkies/don't think immigrants integrate.

The success stories are great news, no need for thoughts and prayers, they are to be celebrated

But they aren't typical
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Truthfully? Hopefully not.

In any case, surely the camera would have broken?
    Michael Gove is really well endowed.

It is common knowledge in Westminster and beyond.

Just don't ask how I know this.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

I'd narrowly favour (as in prefer - this isn't a prediction of what Conservative MPs and members will do) Sunak, I think, with Javid as chancellor.
  • Options

Classy:

Some people on Twitter seem to think that Michael Gove is poised to take over from Matt Hancock. But are they confident that Gove’s private life is beyond reproach? Maybe Sarah Vine can shed some light on this #BacktoBasics

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1408852539202752514?s=20

The one who some feel honour bound to defend when people comment on her personal life is stirring the shizen!!!
  • Options

And bald?
    His baldness won't be an issue versus Sunak the homunculus.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    Gnud said:

gealbhan said:

Carnyx said:

If a person is unvaccinated, does it matter whether they catch the infection from another unvaccinated person or from a vaccinated person whose symptoms have been caused by the vaccine to be only mild (assuming quantitatively similar viral load)?
    I think you're answering your own question there - there will generally be a smaller viral load if you are unlucky enough to catch it from someone vaccinated.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How am I gloating about his resignation? Since this broke I have said repeatedly that he shouldn't go and I still think that. What he has done is no different to what the PM and Home Secretary and himself have done without sanction.

“It is *awful* for his kids. Truly awful. Not that he gives a fuck”

So, do tell, how do you know Matt Hancock “doesn’t give a fuck about his kids”?

You just don’t, do you? You absolutely have no idea, no proof, no nothing, no inside information, you make a vile assertion without any evidence because, well, that’s what lefties like you do, isn’t it?

So you be you. And maybe wonder - one day - if you are any better than the people you love to despise
    This springs to mind - 'you who are without sin first cast the stone'
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

How on do you know he doesn't give a fuck ?

We know nothing of the private circumstances surrounding Hancock's marriage.

Unpopular though it is on pb.com, some gentleness is needed in these matters.
This discussion has been closed.