Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boris should start Scottish independence negotiations now – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Roger said:

Do people seriously think less of Starmer because Hartlepudlians and their ilk voted Tory?

I remember when Labour Wolverhampton came out in their droves to support Enoch Powell followed by the dockers and porters who marched through London. There are some very illiberal people who vote Labour and if they prefer Tory/UKIP so be it

Starmer shouldn't be 'listening'. We know the sound of the 'Little Englanders' He should set out a vision of liberal inclusiveness and if Labour's traditional supporters don't like it then go for constituencies that do. Johnson's welcome to the his 'Red Wall'. They deserve each other.

Labour probably can't win an election without the votes of people like those in Hartlepool and similar areas.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1391055081232117766

Now this is something for Labour to look at and understand. Because something has gone right here, what is it
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Andy Burnham not saying no to leadership in a rather nuanced manner
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    edited May 2021
    Epidemiologist-in-chief, think-tanker-in-chief and now shrink to the European press — there is apparently no end to French President Emmanuel Macron’s talents.

At an EU summit in the Portuguese city of Porto on Saturday, Macron decided reporters were in need of some analysis over their response to U.S. President Joe Biden’s call to waive coronavirus vaccine patents......

.....Not that he has any kind of complex, of course.

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron-puts-eu-press-on-the-couch/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Hiliary Benn, Mr Stop Brexit...That will get all those leavers onboard...
    The Benn Act was what allowed Boris to choreograph the 'Get Brexit Done' election.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1391054563160076297

So what is going on in the West? It seems to me that rumours of Labour's death are greatly exaggerated

It's Brizzle, innit.....
    Bristol seem more enthusiastic about Labour than London...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2021

So what is going on in the West? It seems to me that rumours of Labour's death are greatly exaggerated

They don't like Brexit much round that way and Bristol has become ever more Labour stronghold. Even the posh bits are packed full of Corbynistas.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    edited May 2021

Fascinating graphic which shows how London sucks in the young from all over England, then spits them out again into the South East:

https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1391049828898070530?s=20

What poor sods are moving to London then getting spat out to Luton and Coventry.....talk about a raw deal.

Question is if we all become 3 day a week WFHers, will the young still move to London in such large numbers? I definitely think we are going to continue to see exodus those to the regions. Why live in London with the cost and the crime, when you can sell up and have a decent house with a garden with less crime 2hrs outside of it, and still keep your jobs as you work remotely.
    Probably. It's where the young go to find fame, fortune and fanciable friends. As @Leon has pointed out before.

And wherever they end up, it probably won't be their hometown in Redwallshire, because they've paired off with someone from somewhere else. Even if you could make a wide range of graduate jobs work in small towns.

So Redwallton ages, the shops become sadder and shabbier, the schools struggle because fewer professional families live there, and the people left behind feel left behind.

It's a bigger of a problem to solve.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Roger said:

Do people seriously think less of Starmer because Hartlepudlians and their ilk voted Tory?

I remember when Labour Wolverhampton came out in their droves to support Enoch Powell followed by the dockers and porters who marched through London. There are some very illiberal people who vote Labour and if they prefer Tory/UKIP so be it

Starmer shouldn't be 'listening'. We know the sound of the 'Little Englanders' He should set out a vision of liberal inclusiveness and if Labour's traditional supporters don't like it then go for constituencies that do. Johnson's welcome to the his 'Red Wall'. They deserve each other.

I've no idea why the Tories have been in power for 11 years....total mystery....
    Yes I think 2019 demonstrated the weakness in telling those voters to eff off and vote Tory...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Now this is something for Labour to look at and understand. Because something has gone right here, what is it

Bristol basically. Not many places outside London have swung more to Labour over the last 25 years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The Scottish Conservatives holding Aberdeenshire West just now the pivotal result in denying the SNP a mandate to press for any constitutional change

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1391051093006819334?s=20

Add Scottish Greens. Plenty mandate there.
    Nope, Unionist parties combined also clearly won more votes than the SNP and Greens and Alba combined.

So when Boris tells Sturgeon she can scream and scream all she wants next week for indyref2 his answer will remain a firm NO, he has plenty of evidence to back him up, no SNP majority and more votes for Unionists than Nationalists as well as respecting the once in a generation 2014 vote
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

BBC and John Curtice now forecasting the SNP will NOT get a majority at Holyrood, the icing on the cake of a fantastic set of elections results for Boris

Boris can hold off on sending the tanks up to Hadrians Wall for now then! :D

If Sturgeon has moved the border down to Hadrian’s Wall then he bloody well should send the tanks in!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Andy Burnham promises the voters to adopt a "place first, not party first approach".

"Where government gets it right I will work with them, where they don't, I will challenge them for you," he says.

He also uses his speech to make a plea for more devolution and pledges to give his region "a London-style transport system with London-style fares".

So costs going up then?

I should imagine London bus fares would do wonders for disposable incomes.
  • Options
    West of England Mayoral Election:

Norris (LAB): 33.4% (+11.2)
    Williams (CON): 28.6% (+1.3)
    Thomas (GRN): 21.7% (+10.5)
    Williams (LDM): 16.3% (-3.9)

2nd Round:
    Norris (LAB): 59.5% (E)
    Williams (CON): 40.5%

Labour GAIN from Conservative

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1391055081232117766?s=20
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Hearing SNP running around 60% on Glasgow list votes.

In 5 constituencies counted yesterday SNP list % is

Annsieland: 41.7%
    Maryhill: 47.1%
    Pollock 49%
    Rutherglen: 42.2%
    Southside: 41.1%
    There has a quite astonishing amount of nonsense posted amount this election, even with verified information out there these mad statements are made.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Bristol basically. Not many places outside London have swung more to Labour over the last 25 years.
    The irony of the big Corbynistas I have met are from the posh parts of Bristol, where their wealth is on the back of their houses now been worth London prices, but they never leave that area, kids go to the posh private schools locally and the only time they visit the rougher areas is on a trip to Ikea.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_xP said:

Labour source tells me the party is increasingly confident Dan Norris will beat the Tories and be West of England mayor
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1391051629718278144

He was the best candidate
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Burnham 67% of 1st preferences.

Anyone else remotely that popular anywhere in the country ?

Houchen
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Andy Burnham not saying no to leadership in a rather nuanced manner

Burnham might let Stamer do the hard work of opposition with 202 seats and suffer another defeat (but still make some gains) in 2023 then take on the leadership and possibly return Labour to power in 2027/2028 after Boris has stood down?
  • Options
    HarryFreemanHarryFreeman Posts: 210
    DavidL said:

Aberdeenshire West - looks like a lot of Unionist tactical voting by LibDems.

Not been nearly enough of this though and boy have the SNP gained. The number of seats they have won whilst outnumbered by Unionists. Its infuriating and we may have a very high price to pay for such stupidity.
    Wouldn't matter in a referendum and anyway they have no mandate for one.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    4h
    What’s happening in English politics is unique: it’s a watershed, with rules being radically rewritten, not because an insurgent party is successfully challenging an unpopular incumbent (that happens) but because a popular incumbent is savaging an unpopular opposition.

Difficult to argue with that. What's bizarre is that these situations were always used to give the incumbents a thumping, if for no other reason than, to keep them honest. Now they're being used to express gratitude and admiration for the PM. I hope this doesn't continue as it ultimately may not be healthy.
    Worse than that. You get tons of people these days who if the government displeases them - eg with lockdowns - blame LABOUR for "letting them down" and not somehow stopping it. That ghastly bloke in Bath was a good example. Get some of this on here too, I have to say.
  • Options
    BBC projection of seats in Scottish parliament
    SNP 63 (no change from 2016)
    Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1391056077786124294?s=20
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 48
    @ManchesterKurt Andy Burnham is clearly very popular, but I think Ben Houchen has a strong case to be individually more popular and the true King of the North!
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Aberdeenshire West for the Tories. No SNP majority. But the Greens are going to be up and Labour down. Bigger Independence majority. No Alba.

And Mr Wightman, perhaps.
    Very unlikely.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

Scott_xP said:

Labour source tells me the party is increasingly confident Dan Norris will beat the Tories and be West of England mayor
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1391051629718278144

He was the best candidate
    By a mile.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Worth remembering, Burnham, like Khan, was pretty damn useless as a minister when Labour were in power. Labour need to be careful to the same thinking for so long that David Miliband would be their saviour.

Very different being a local mayor to leader of the national party, see Boris...all of a sudden life every day is an absolute shitter and every slip up you are in the firing line. You can't just get away with doing a nice PR photoshoot of throwing some basketballs into a net and then off to see the mistress.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,245

kinabalu said:

Owen Jones Rose
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h
    Labour figures are now saying that “tackling injustice and inequality” is the party’s mission. But that’s an abstraction to most voters: you need to talk about concrete things that matter to people’s lives - like housing, jobs, pay, services - and what you’ll do about them

Blimey, Jones has said something that is a correct analysis.

Labour should ban the words 'social justice', 'injustice', 'inequality' etc. from use by the party.

I doubt many voters have a clue what the party means by them, but many will have a suspicion it involves loads of bonkers pc stuff and/or giving free money to people they think are undeserving.

Labour should ban words like "inequality" and "injustice" because voters don't have a clue what they mean? I doubt voters really are that thick.

But if they are, what do you suggest we talk to them about instead - their favourite shampoo?
    Owen Jones gave some non-shampoo examples. As I posted yesterday they should talk about pay and conditions - specifically the gig economy stuff, lack of security and so on.

"You'll no longer be one pay cheque away from destitution and losing the roof over your head" is far more direct and promising than "we will tackle inequality wherever we see it & fight for social justice for all."

And stop banging on about how it is terrible that some people are rich. My experience of voters is they don't really care and just want to know whether their own lives will steadily improve rather than go backwards and especially whether their kids will be alright. Most don't sit around in spasms of jealously and angst that there are rich people in London.

As a related aside, Philip Gould always used to say one of Labour's problems was it never talked about people's aspirations.
    So did Ken Livingstone.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

Disappointing for Sarwar. Its a great pity that SLAB dithered and did not replace their totally incompetent and useless leader last year. Sarwar needed more time than he got.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

Houchen
    By a mile, lol
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    HYUFD said:

The Scottish Conservatives holding Aberdeenshire West just now the pivotal result in denying the SNP a mandate to press for any constitutional change

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1391051093006819334?s=20

Wow - probably the biggest tactical vote contribution to a successful defence in the election.
  • Options

Norris was miles better than either Williams although I voted Libdem first round because I had the choice. Tim Bowles the previous Tory mayor was completely anonymous too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

Disappointing for Sarwar. Its a great pity that SLAB dithered and did not replace their totally incompetent and useless leader last year. Sarwar needed more time than he got.
    Looks like Douglas Ross’s ‘peach sheet’ strategy paid off? I don’t think anyone expected the Tories to stand still on seats overall.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Aberdeenshire West - looks like a lot of Unionist tactical voting by LibDems.

Not been nearly enough of this though and boy have the SNP gained. The number of seats they have won whilst outnumbered by Unionists. Its infuriating and we may have a very high price to pay for such stupidity.
    Wouldn't matter in a referendum and anyway they have no mandate for one.

I don't think that they do because they have got less than 50% of the vote and more Scots have voted for parties opposed to a second referendum. But it is going to be politically difficult when there is a clear independence majority in Holyrood. It did not have to be that way.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    As per usual, NW is a problem area for COVID...

The former mill town of Bolton has been revealed as the UK hotspot for the new Covid 19 strain detected in India which has been escalated to a 'variant of concern'. Urgent measures to contain the variant are in the works in the town including surge testing and a strengthened vaccination campaign urging people to get the jab.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9557063/Bolton-revealed-UK-hotspot-new-Covid-strain-detected-India.html
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Labour probably can't win an election without the votes of people like those in Hartlepool and similar areas.
    That’s the thing. They want the votes of these people and these seats but they don’t want anything to do with them or to listen to what their issues are as they clash with the labour worldview.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

kinabalu said:

Owen Jones Rose
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h
    Labour figures are now saying that “tackling injustice and inequality” is the party’s mission. But that’s an abstraction to most voters: you need to talk about concrete things that matter to people’s lives - like housing, jobs, pay, services - and what you’ll do about them

Labour should ban the words 'social justice', 'injustice', 'inequality' etc. from use by the party.

I doubt many voters have a clue what the party means by them, but many will have a suspicion it involves loads of bonkers pc stuff and/or giving free money to people they think are undeserving.

Labour should ban words like "inequality" and "injustice" because voters don't have a clue what they mean? I doubt voters really are that thick.

But if they are, what do you suggest we talk to them about instead - their favourite shampoo?
    Owen Jones gave some non-shampoo examples. As I posted yesterday they should talk about pay and conditions - specifically the gig economy stuff, lack of security and so on.

"You'll no longer be one pay cheque away from destitution and losing the roof over your head" is far more direct and promising than "we will tackle inequality wherever we see it & fight for social justice for all."

And stop banging on about how it is terrible that some people are rich. My experience of voters is they don't really care and just want to know whether their own lives will steadily improve rather than go backwards and especially whether their kids will be alright. Most don't sit around in spasms of jealously and angst that there are rich people in London.

As a related aside, Philip Gould always used to say one of Labour's problems was it never talked about people's aspirations.
    So did Ken Livingstone.
    You know who was able to connect with both the working man and rich Germans?...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Worth remembering, Burnham, like Khan, was pretty damn useless as a minister when Labour were in power. Labour need to be careful to the same thinking for so long that David Miliband would be their saviour.

Very different being a local mayor to leader of the national party, see Boris...all of a sudden life every day is an absolute shitter and every slip up you are in the firing line. You can't just get away with doing a nice PR photoshoot of throwing some basketballs into a net and then off to see the mistress.

At this point I think Labour would just be happy to be back in the game? Thinking about what happens next is for another day...
  • Options
    Good interview from Rebecca Long Bailley on the BBC and now Andy Burnham. The natives are getting restless.

RLB has not spoken to SKS for "a very long time". This seems unwise.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

BBC and John Curtice now forecasting the SNP will NOT get a majority at Holyrood, the icing on the cake of a fantastic set of elections results for Boris

Boris can hold off on sending the tanks up to Hadrians Wall for now then! :D

If Sturgeon has moved the border down to Hadrian’s Wall then he bloody well should send the tanks in!
    Field Marshal H.Y.U.F.D Montgomery is intrepid but NOT rash.

Mobilizing on the border as a stern WARNING to potential North British troublemakers.

More than they deserve, admittedly!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Ben Houchem Tory in Teeside?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    DavidL said:

Good interview from Rebecca Long Bailley on the BBC and now Andy Burnham. The natives are getting restless.

She’s still sore at being called out for unthinking racism?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    He sounded very cagey but I expect he could be persuaded but he would need a seat, probably a Greater Manchester one

Now that would change the narrative
  • Options
    Good heavens! It's taken this long?

The first ever BAME woman elected to the Scottish Parliament - what an absolutely historic day for our country. Huge congratulations to @kaukabstewart
    #SP21

https://twitter.com/LaurenOxleyx/status/1391057448870498306?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

She needs to get herself a pair of personalised apple airpods like her mate Rayner...I believe without them you can't use Zoom to talk to other politicians....or so it seems with politicians during this pandemic.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437

Labour aren’t dead. They can still win in some places. This is a good result as is the Welsh result, and they had some localised success elsewhere.

The trouble is the overall direction of travel. The places they are winning are nowhere near enough to form a successful coalition to challenge for power. They need at least some of the red wall back, and arguably they need to stop the rot and make a recovery in Scotland too, because it is hard to see where a Labour majority comes from without at least some recovery in those areas. Even if they start to do better in the South, it is not enough.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Binface holding steady at 1% in all still counting boroughs - will be close around the 20K Jackpot threshold but I am going to call it for him with errrmm 21,076 votes

The Binface operation has beaten Corbyn and Peter Gammons. Other parties will be poring over it, inevitably.
    Has any other party made an election song like Binface ? (70K views on youtube)
    Yes, the Greens in 2015. I loved it, had stand ins for the other party leaders.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Roger said:

I've no idea why the Tories have been in power for 11 years....total mystery....
    Yes I think 2019 demonstrated the weakness in telling those voters to eff off and vote Tory...
    But the 2021 strategy of telling anyone left of New Labour to Fuck Off and join the SWP whilst failing to attract any of those that had already fucked off to vote Tory, has proven even worse.

1 in 5 of Lab held Council seats lost compared to the 2016/17 Corbyn era that was supposedly terrible.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Binface holding steady at 1% in all still counting boroughs - will be close around the 20K Jackpot threshold but I am going to call it for him with errrmm 21,076 votes

The Binface operation has beaten Corbyn and Peter Gammons. Other parties will be poring over it, inevitably.
    Has any other party made an election song like Binface ? (70K views on youtube)
    Yes, the Greens in 2015. I loved it, had stand ins for the other party leaders.
    I’d take stand ins over the real ones at the moment.
  • Options

The former mill town of Bolton has been revealed as the UK hotspot for the new Covid 19 strain detected in India which has been escalated to a 'variant of concern'. Urgent measures to contain the variant are in the works in the town including surge testing and a strengthened vaccination campaign urging people to get the jab.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9557063/Bolton-revealed-UK-hotspot-new-Covid-strain-detected-India.html

The Moslem population of Bolton is traditionally Gujurati. Which may be connected.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes. His amazing luck holds. When will Beelzebub come calling for the debt?
  • Options
    I am the resurrection and the life. Damn your tactical voting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

She fell in with a really bad crowd.
  • Options

The first ever BAME woman elected to the Scottish Parliament - what an absolutely historic day for our country. Huge congratulations to @kaukabstewart
    #SP21

Is that because Scotland is institutionally racist as Humza Yousaf likes to bang on about, or that Scotland is 96% white.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    You know we were talking about Cambridgeshire yesterday? Labour are in with a decent shout of winning the Cambridge/Peterborough Metromayor:

https://twitter.com/PhilRodgers/status/1391057931018309632?s=19

(Remaining transfers to come are Cambridge, Peterborough and S Cambs)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The Moslem population of Bolton is traditionally Gujurati. Which may be connected.
    The NW towns and Leicester have consistently had problems with COVID. It never seems to go away there.
  • Options
    NEW: Andy Burnham says Keir Starmer “gets it”

Gets what he deserves IMO
  • Options
    Interesting choice of words; "they" not "we":

Asked by @SophyRidgeSky whether Andy Burnham is preparing for a leadership bid he says "In the distant future, if they need me, they can get in touch." "I am here to help the Labour party, if they need it... They have lost an emotional connection with parts of the country..."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Burnham on BBC news now.

What a difference to Starmer's performance.

The King speaks human.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The SNP majority market was like shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Options

You know we were talking about Cambridgeshire yesterday? Labour are in with a decent shout of winning the Cambridge/Peterborough Metromayor:

Cambridge Utd get promoted but we end up with an all Labour City and a Labour shire Mayor ?!

The Lord giveth then taketh away twice..
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

Did Labour take one for the team north of the border?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1391060004028010505

Throwing shade at Richard Burgon lol, Welsh Labour is solidly centre-left, not socialist
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Andy Burnham is 5/1 favourite to be next Labour leader. https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1391059767691554820/photo/1
  • Options

Roger said:

But the 2021 strategy of telling anyone left of New Labour to Fuck Off and join the SWP whilst failing to attract any of those that had already fucked off to vote Tory, has proven even worse.

1 in 5 of Lab held Council seats lost compared to the 2016/17 Corbyn era that was supposedly terrible.
    I agree. Labour just “feels” like the Tories c. 2003.
    No self confidence and every discussion about policy direction is defined by the past. The wheel will turn but it’s taking too long. I’m of the view that two terms each and then swap Gvts delivers true best outcomes for the country, but Labour just isn’t ready yet so the Tories are likely to get yet another term.
  • Options
    Burnham: "I love it. I sound like Kevin Keagan here (laughs). But I do."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

That way guarantees defeat.
    You've got to remember that Roger is always wrong, about everything, except when it comes to the Oscars.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

She fell in with a really bad crowd.
    I think when we are judging Starmer for Labour’s dismal performance, we should just pause and remember when he became leader, Labour had just become the second legal political organisation in this country to be investigated for systematic anti-semitism. It had suffered the worst defeat of any opposition party nine years into power and its worst result since World War II. It had seen people promoted for arselicking the leader even if they were actually incapable of uttering a coherent sentence. It had fought an election campaign based on a pack of implausible lies that had no answer to significant questions about timing, costing and practicality on key policies. It had spent the past three years insulting all its voters and telling them what to think.

Let’s face it, turning this around would have been a huge task in normal times. In these times, it looks beyond impossible. I don’t think any politician leader would be doing better. If Long Bailey or Pidcock were in charge, Labour could well have done much worse.

No wonder Starmer looks frustrated.

He deserves more time.
  • Options
    Burnham down from 5 to 3.5
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,995
    There was a comment earlier that this should be the end of some former big names like Salmond, Galloway and Reckless.

The same should also apply to some old parties.

UKIP - 0 councillors (-43)
    Liberal party - 1 councillor (-1)
    Independent Health concern 0 councillors (-2) - they won Wyre Forest back in the Blair years

Just give it up and move on
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The irony of the big Corbynistas I have met are from the posh parts of Bristol, where their wealth is on the back of their houses now been worth London prices, but they never leave that area, kids go to the posh private schools locally and the only time they visit the rougher areas is on a trip to Ikea.
    Not even that. Most of the areas of deprivation are South of the city. Most of the Nicer areas and jobs to the north. So both Unis, big employers like the MOD, rolls Royce and Airbus, the main hospital, main shopping mall, are all to the North. Even the Airport to the south now has a bypass so you don't see any poor people! Most people in the North of Bristol will have never been to Knowle West, Hartcliffe or Stockwood, and there is nothing to take them there.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tory incumbent wasn't restanding. Tories went up a bit but looks like tactical voting for Labour and a huge increase in Greens, so seconds took them over.
  • Options

He's likeable, way more likeable than SKS will ever be. There's just a little bit of Boris about him.
  • Options
    Strange times

Conservatives GAIN TWENTY councillors in Rotherham
  • Options

#SP21

Yes. That does seem strange given the parties’ power to impose candidates on the list. (Which I disagree with - these AMS systems should all use open lists.)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited May 2021

They don't like Brexit much round that way and Bristol has become ever more Labour stronghold. Even the posh bits are packed full of Corbynistas.
    Indeed Labour's death is greatly exaggerated. That bit is simple. They hold 200+ seats in parliament and can target lots more. The tricky bit is twofold: how can Labour avoid death as a majority party of government

and secondly - a truly fascinating question for maps and demographers - no-one doubts a realignment happening, with Labour a huge part of the mix. Labour now wins council seats in places like Worthing and Surrey; they hold Enfield Southgate easily etc, while losing Hartlepool. But what does the alignment look like when the music briefly stops. How can they manage the transition from typical non ultra urban working class seats to the new rather posher clientele in such a way as to get to either a working majority, largest party or at least oust the Tories.

If for now Bassetlaw and Hartlepool are not real targets, where do they go instead? And how?

If this question is correct, and it's true that lots of target seats are moving away from them, which seats (it has to be a lot) should they move towards instead?

SKS sounded yesterday like a leader who wasn't sure of the 125 real targets he can get. But he will need to be to survive, and soon.

• Options

Hiliary Benn, Mr Stop Brexit...That will get all those leavers onboard...
    The Benn Act was what allowed Boris to choreograph the 'Get Brexit Done' election.
    Yep. Me and you, William, me and you.

Remember the good old days?
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

Sarwar shouldn't have spent the campaign beating on the Conservatives and cuddling up to the SNP.
  • Options

Interesting choice of words; "they" not "we":

Asked by @SophyRidgeSky whether Andy Burnham is preparing for a leadership bid he says "In the distant future, if they need me, they can get in touch." "I am here to help the Labour party, if they need it... They have lost an emotional connection with parts of the country..."

Part of his success. Like Street having green leaflets.
    He's the spokesman for Greater Manchester. Not Labour. Houchen has done similarly. That's why they win.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

That’s the thing. They want the votes of these people and these seats but they don’t want anything to do with them or to listen to what their issues are as they clash with the labour worldview.
    I'd vote for Roger to lead the Labour party - I'd even crowdfund 20 p to help him on his way!
  • Options
    Perhaps Labour should do a NZ Labour, change the leader when the GE is called
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

No, SKS dithered and left Corbyn's incompetent northern friend in office for too long.
  • Options

Con 31 (no change)
    Lab 22 -2
    Green 9 +3
    Lib Dem 4 -1

Basically same as last time except the Greens have 3 seats more.
  • Options
    Isn't that Manchester City Council, rather than Greater Manchester? So not the same at all?
  • Options

A tell. He has his eye on the big job, no question.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He's likeable, way more likeable than SKS will ever be. There's just a little bit of Boris about him.
    I don’t think you’ll find too many in Mid Staffs to agree with you.
  • Options
    oh hello

“If the party feels it needs me, I’m here and they should get in touch.” says Burnham.
  • Options

By what stretch of the English language is that a "Metro"?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

She had so muchj make-up on she seemed like one of those CGI dolls!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Isn't that Manchester City Council, rather than Greater Manchester? So not the same at all?
    Burnham also held Leigh comfortably but after he was no longer the MP it elected a Tory MP for the first time in 2019
  • Options
    Andy Burnham tells Sky News he has no current plans to run for Labour leader, but adds that 'in the distant future, if the party were to need me, they should get in touch'.

Anyone know how to get in touch?

#getintouchwithAndy
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

A tell. He has his eye on the big job, no question.
    Masterclass interview. Streets ahead of Starmer sadly. Actual emotion, passion and communication.

English devolution. Something to hang a narrative on.

Labour could do a whole lot worse even though twice they've rejected him.

• Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited May 2021

Con did hold it but incumbent wasn't standing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited May 2021

Owen Jones Rose
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    1h

Meanwhile, in the constituency I work in - the Tories have built a new multi million pound sports facility, work has started on a new hospital and plans are in for school rebuilds. No wonder the Tories took Northumberland County Council.

People want tangible stuff, not vague notions.
    That's what the Ashfield Independents did. Though they may have been Lib Dems when the process started.

Buggers knocked down a swimming pool my dad designed back in 1970 or so, and turned the older swimming pool into Council Flats, and built a sports' centre on the local ancient Lammas via some dodgy manipulations.

Twas a very nice swimming pool too - electrically heated benches to lie on, and the only one I have ever seen with a row of tiles laid on their side 4ft under the water to give a shelf to rest your feet on. Thoughtful.
  • Options
    Labour would take back Leigh with Burnham IMHO
This discussion has been closed.