Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boris should start Scottish independence negotiations now – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Whenever I see another SMOULDERING picture of Welsh Labour Party leader Mark Drakeford - and, truth be told, I’ve never seen an UNsexy photo of him - I always hear the phrase “Ooooh, tromboning” in my head. Like some maddening sexual mantra

Am I alone? I doubt it. I’d wager half the country has an erotomaniac response to him, it’s just that so many partisan observers are unable to admit it

What does your wife think?
    She wants me, her and the Drakeford to have a threesome. I’ve told her she’s likely to be disappointed, a guy like that must get these desperate sexual requests all the time. But I’ve promised her I’ll try my best to organize it

Any advice welcome. Have any other PBers had a FMM threesome with an elderly but very senior male figure in Welsh politics?
    There are so many to consider - but Clapham common in the 80s and 90s was a lorra lorra fun!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1391016993474715650

The vaccine boost in full swing, so how much can we conclude the 6 point Tory lead is because of that? I am going to conclude a lot

In which case, the polls are roughly right. And if they're right now, they were probably right in December, when C and L were roughly level.
    And C +6 is roughly one major government foulup from level pegging again.
    You think Labour's going to hold its position in the polls now that Starmer's suffered one of the most humiliating by-election defeats in modern history and net losses across the country? Bold.
    The government has been spraying money around to all and sundry for the past 12 months, the public finances are in a parlous state, but the voters don't give a monkey's nut about that. Millions of voters are being paid not to work, what's not to like?

However the party is almost over and the bills are going to start rolling in. Very tough economic decisions are going to be needed and in the midst of all that Boris is going to have to find the largesse to turn places like Hartlepool into the post-Brexit Nirvana that was promised.

You think the Tories are going to hold their position in the poll?. Bold.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Latest councillor changes:

Con +213
    Lab -241
    LD -21
    Green +60

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c481drqqzv7t/england-local-elections-2021

I'm not sure anyone expected those sorts of figures.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    Galloway incoming
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Whenever I see another SMOULDERING picture of Welsh Labour Party leader Mark Drakeford - and, truth be told, I’ve never seen an UNsexy photo of him - I always hear the phrase “Ooooh, tromboning” in my head. Like some maddening sexual mantra

Am I alone? I doubt it. I’d wager half the country has an erotomaniac response to him, it’s just that so many partisan observers are unable to admit it

She wants me, her and the Drakeford to have a threesome. I’ve told her she’s likely to be disappointed, a guy like that must get these desperate sexual requests all the time. But I’ve promised her I’ll try my best to organize it

Any advice welcome. Have any other PBers had a FMM threesome with an elderly but very senior male figure in Welsh politics?
    Careful - might turn into one of those situations where she and Drakeford become interested only in each other, and you're just left standing there with a towel over your arm.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Con +213
    Lab -241
    LD -21
    Green +60

Very good night for the Greens - in all sorts of locations.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Street 299,318 (49%)
    Byrne 244,009 (40%)
    Greens 35,559
    Lib Dems 21,836
    Reform 13,568

1% away from the magic number.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Alistair said:

Here’s ⁦@kevverage calling out the bullshit: Sturgeon isn’t prepared for a referendum, she promised she wouldn’t prioritise it & she would, on current polling, lose it. The pretence that she was ready for indyref2 dominated the last parliament. We can’t let it happen again

https://twitter.com/blairmcdougall/status/1391019422215720961?s=20

I remember how after the 2011 Unionist claimed Salmond didn't want to have a referendum.

It is fun to reminisce.

Is McTernanPredicts about?
    I think McTernan has had to go for an extended lie down after waxing lyrical about Sarwar’s Bidenesque qualities. He really is the kiss of death.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,981

dixiedean said:

Rumours (via Jen Williams at MEN) that Burnham might have taken c.70% of first preferences.

The City of Manchester yet again a Tory free zone -
    Yes but. It isn't the City. 9 of the 27 MPs are Conservative.
    Yet Burnham cleans up.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2021
    OllyT said:

The vaccine boost in full swing, so how much can we conclude the 6 point Tory lead is because of that? I am going to conclude a lot

In which case, the polls are roughly right. And if they're right now, they were probably right in December, when C and L were roughly level.
    You think Labour's going to hold its position in the polls now that Starmer's suffered one of the most humiliating by-election defeats in modern history and net losses across the country? Bold.
    The government has been spraying money around to all and sundry for the past 12 months, the public finances are in a parlous state, but the voters don't give a monkey's nut about that. Millions of voters are being paid not to work, what's not to like?

However the party is almost over and the bills are going to start rolling in. Very tough economic decisions are going to be needed and in the midst of all that Boris is going to have to find the largesse to turn places like Hartlepool into the post-Brexit Nirvana that was promised.

I think Boris puts off paying the bills until after the next election.

He’s playing poker with the bond market.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    The Drake is supposed to be a hard-leftie, but he certainly doesn’t come across that way.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Galloway Con hold. All eyes on Aberdeenshire West then.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Floater said:

LOL

https://twitter.com/KonstantinKisin/status/1390701939340500993

Btw, I know you're all delighted about woke Labour getting trounced (again) but the cultural assault won't stop. They will double down. They always do.

So remember, there's an infinite number of genders, you're all racist and Britain is the worst country in the world.

The answer is obviously if we weren't a country of thick racists they would of course be voting progressive candidates.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Rumours (via Jen Williams at MEN) that Burnham might have taken c.70% of first preferences.

Yet Burnham cleans up.
    Will we have the data to compare Burnham's vote in those seats compared to Labour generally?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Assuming this site is accurate, and it would seem it is, I’m guessing the Tories now have more councillors in England than Labour and the LibDems put together. After 11 years in Government. It really doesn’t compute - I grew up watching the opposition always storm the locals and was under both the Tories and New Labour.

http://opencouncildata.co.uk/
  • Options
    @Floater I will remind you that in that poll of Hartlepool, the issue of "woke" was mentioned by 2% of voters. It's clearly a key issue.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Careful - might turn into one of those situations where she and Drakeford become interested only in each other, and you're just left standing there with a towel over your arm.
    Speaking from experience?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    In important news:

Middlesex in lots of Payne at Lord’s.

And Sky picked the right match to cover!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Con +213
    Lab -241
    LD -21
    Green +60

Ahem!!!

Over a week ago: "Starmer could be down 200-250 councillors after next Thursday."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    edited May 2021

Floater said:

LOL

Btw, I know you're all delighted about woke Labour getting trounced (again) but the cultural assault won't stop. They will double down. They always do.

So remember, there's an infinite number of genders, you're all racist and Britain is the worst country in the world.

The answer is obviously if we weren't a country of thick racists they would of course be voting progressive candidates.
    I saw someone claim that people voting Tory shows the country is too stupid and uneducated for democracy.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Assuming this site is accurate, and it would seem it is, I’m guessing the Tories now have more councillors in England than Labour and the LibDems put together. After 11 years in Government. It really doesn’t compute - I grew up watching the opposition always storm the locals and was under both the Tories and New Labour.

It does compute. It's the 'hope' of Brexit and the gushing money tap. Of course the Conservatives will now have to deliver. If they do, fair play, but that's far from certain.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Why is Labour performing well in Wales because of a vaccine boost but the Tories not so in England?

Already high in much of it so limited bounce, and did get bounce in other parts?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    OllyT said:

I’m not so sure.

Add together the latest economic forecasts and the collective desire of the major powers to engineer a boom for the next couple of years, and I think Boris is going to be able to splash the cash right through to the election.

The reckoning comes later. If Labour is really unlucky, it will come during the first term of a weak Labour minority Government....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

One bet I'm definitely going to lose: £50 on Khan getting 50%+ in the 1st round.

Silly bet.

It looked very worth it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

dixiedean said:

*clears throat*

Er, I did say he'd walk it.
    It's a sharp contrast with Starmer
  • Options

Floater said:

LOL

I saw someone claim that people voting Tory shows the country is too stupid and uneducated for democracy.
    Nick Farage?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Street 299,318 (49%)
    Byrne 244,009 (40%)
    Greens 35,559
    Lib Dems 21,836
    Reform 13,568

Have the Greens actually been down anywhere, in percentages in the council elections ? Haven't seen it.
  • Options
    Looks like the SNP will fail to get a majority with Aberdeenshire West looking like a Con hold too.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

OllyT said:

I think the tories do need to be careful...i think all.these northern votes they are racking up are soft. If Labour actually talk about issues they care about in a way that doesn't accuse them of being thick racists, and eventually the Tories will have to turn the magic money tap off...I think they could easily return to Labour very quickly.

While we see in places like Surrey many are pissed off with the Tories.and won't immediately return while Boris is in charge.

At the moment Brexit and vaccine gives Boris the fair wind.

I think that is exactly right. Boris has certainly created a winning 40% coalition of voters that is significantly different in composition to previous winning Tory coalitions.

Like you, I suspect that holding on to those new voters in places like Hartlepool will be tough unless Brexit delivers something positive to them quite quickly.

I also think that the Tories might discover that winning back former Tory-inclined remainers is not going to be easy at all.
    One thing the Tories have going for them, that Labour don't. They have the likes of Dishy Rishi waiting in the wings.

He is the perfect candidate for Tories to win back your Surrey remainer types. Plus detoxifies the lazy accusation that Boris is a racist, therefore all Tories are. And despite being uber wealthy, he does seem to speak human, unlike a Jacob Ress Mogg type Tory, thus doesn't instantly piss off Northern working class types.
    Yes, Labour's problem at the moment is that I can't see a leader in waiting. They really need to be creative and look beyond the current shadow cabinet - Ed Balls, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn, even Andy Burnham come to mind. Snag is the membership are more likely to go for another Corbynite.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Here’s ⁦@kevverage calling out the bullshit: Sturgeon isn’t prepared for a referendum, she promised she wouldn’t prioritise it & she would, on current polling, lose it. The pretence that she was ready for indyref2 dominated the last parliament. We can’t let it happen again

https://twitter.com/blairmcdougall/status/1391019422215720961?s=20

I remember how after the 2011 Unionist claimed Salmond didn't want to have a referendum.

It is fun to reminisce.

Is McTernanPredicts about?
    I think McTernan has had to go for an extended lie down after waxing lyrical about Sarwar’s Bidenesque qualities. He really is the kiss of death.
    No one ever got rich backing any of John McTernan's confident predictions, He really has the Shiteus Touch.
  • Options

It does compute. It's the 'hope' of Brexit and the gushing money tap. Of course the Conservatives will now have to deliver. If they do, fair play, but that's far from certain.
    Yeah, but the phenomenon predates Brexit. Why weren’t the Tories murdered in the locals from 2010 on? It always used to be the pattern. There was a whole “we will listen and learn” ritual for Cabinet Ministers the following morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Floater said:

LOL

Well we see it in coded language all the times, about its those without uni degrees who vote Tory these days, and all those clever folk with their degrees vote progressive parties.

When the reality it is it is heavily skewed by age, Brexit and I believe the fact that Corbynisation of the Labour party and his policies of back to the 70s had those who are old enough to remember running a mile. While youngsters, who all of this is fresh, it sounds very appealing, given they have large student debt, expensive housing, many sold the false dream that a degree at f##k sticks metropolitan new university would result in a £100k a year job in the media and now they work in a call centre and still have to live at home with mum and dad.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

How's Count Binface doing?
  • Options

Yeah, but the phenomenon predates Brexit. Why weren’t the Tories murdered in the locals from 2010 on? It always used to be the pattern. There was a whole “we will listen and learn” ritual for Cabinet Ministers the following morning.
    The coalition was murdered in the polls. At least the yellow half was.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RobD said:

Why is Labour performing well in Wales because of a vaccine boost but the Tories not so in England?

Tories aren't performing well in England?
    No, I meant why is the Tory Party's good performance in England not explained away by the vaccines?
    I don't think anyone denies the Tories are getting a well-deserved vaccine boost.
    So are Labour in Wales and SNP in Scotland. Fact.

Please don't counter me with Boris personally invented, bought and injected the vaccines again. I don't believe that. They have all had a polling boost, fact!
    But Boris's government procured the vaccines.

If you don't believe that, then please tell me who did procure the vaccines for Wales? 🤦‍♂️
    I am giving the Johnson Government credit for vaccine procurement on their watch. You try to turn that into Boris Johnson personally bidding and winning on a WHO version of eBay against the French and Germans which is patently untrue.

I am conceding also that Johnson has had a vaccine polling bounce, you are countering that by saying you think he should have one in Wales and Scotland too. Well it hasn't happened like that, so I don't see the point you are making.

The incumbents in England, Wales and Scotland have seen a vaccine bounce. What more is there to say? Except "bounce" implies stuff goes down as well as up, and that applies to all three countries of the UK that voted on Thursday.
    Boris's government did bid on and win the procurement race against the French, Germans and every other major government in the entire planet.

If you don't think Boris's government procured the vaccines then please tell me who did procure the vaccines for Wales?

Did Drakeford set up his own vaccine taskforce? Were they procured by unicorns? Wishful thinking? Did they grown on roses?
    That's not the argument though is it? Johnson got a vaccine bounce, Drakeford got a vaccine bounce and Nippy got a vaccine bounce. Fact.

You're whining on that Drakeford and Nippy don't deserve their bounce, because Boris personally bought the vaccines on their behalf. So what? My argument is it's a one off benefit that probably won't last the test of time for any of them.
    I'm not whining, I'm saying Drakeford and Sturgeon are lucky to be getting reflected glory from Boris's great leadership.
    Great leadership? Titter ye not!

Boris was lucky to get his wallpaper too, but you weren't bitching about that.
    Yes great leadership. Procuring the vaccines before any other major nation in the planet during a global pandemic was fantastic leadership.

I couldn't care less about wallpaper so long as I'm not the one paying for it. Blair charging £650k of wallpaper to the taxpayer was a story, Boris getting his privately paid for is not.
    Would it be a story IF if those who paid for Carrie's decorating ended up with some nice contracts and/or other sweet deals in return for their investment?

That is, "good graft" as famously defined by the Sage of Tammany Hall, George Washington Plunkett?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Plunkitt
    Yes, so talk about it then if that happens.
    Let's be honest mate, you'd just dismiss it as a "who cares" even then.
    Cross that bridge if we get there.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I think the tories do need to be careful...i think all.these northern votes they are racking up are soft. If Labour actually talk about issues they care about in a way that doesn't accuse them of being thick racists, and eventually the Tories will have to turn the magic money tap off...I think they could easily return to Labour very quickly.

While we see in places like Surrey many are pissed off with the Tories.and won't immediately return while Boris is in charge.

I think that is exactly right. Boris has certainly created a winning 40% coalition of voters that is significantly different in composition to previous winning Tory coalitions.

Like you, I suspect that holding on to those new voters in places like Hartlepool will be tough unless Brexit delivers something positive to them quite quickly.

I also think that the Tories might discover that winning back former Tory-inclined remainers is not going to be easy at all.
    One thing the Tories have going for them, that Labour don't. They have the likes of Dishy Rishi waiting in the wings.

He is the perfect candidate for Tories to win back your Surrey remainer types. Plus detoxifies the lazy accusation that Boris is a racist, therefore all Tories are. And despite being uber wealthy, he does seem to speak human, unlike a Jacob Ress Mogg type Tory, thus doesn't instantly piss off Northern working class types.
    Yes, Labour's problem at the moment is that I can't see a leader in waiting. They really need to be creative and look beyond the current shadow cabinet - Ed Balls, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn come to mind. Snag is the membership are more likely to go for another Corbynite.
    Rayner, Jarvis, and Nandy I think, as options in a year or more's time. Balls still hasn't quite moved on psychologically from the New Labour years as yet, but Benn could be an interesting one.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2021

It is odd but I guess it's because in each general election the government has been kind of hitting the reset button.

2010-2015 - Coalition government

Reset

2015-2016 - Cameron government

Reset

Brexit

Reset

2016-2019 - May minority government/(chaos)

Reset

2019 - Boris government

So although the Tories have been in power for 11 years either alone or in coalition, due to the extraordinary decade we've been through they renewed themselves with each new administration.

Boris looks like he's in for the long term now so I'd expect the next 5-10 years will see things reverting to a more typical political cycle of opposition gains in local elections etc etc as the Johnson government gradually runs out of popularity.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Con +213
    Lab -241
    LD -21
    Green +60

And its not to be forgotten that this loss of councillors denudes the activist workforce at the next GE

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Looks like the SNP will fail to get a majority with Aberdeenshire West looking like a Con hold too.

Well, at least the Tories will have more than 1 seat in Scotland :lol:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Beeb: 15:44
    Trapped school pupil triggered fire alarm at election count
    A trapped school pupil sparked the fire alarm which delayed the Argyll and Bute election count.

Counting was temporarily halted on Friday for a full evacuation of the Mid Argyll sports centre in Lochgilphead.

It's understood a pupil at the adjacent Lochgilphead High School found themselves in a room where they couldn't get out without opening a fire door which then set off the alarm.

The full Highlands and Islands regional list result is now not expected until later this evening.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

@Floater I will remind you that in that poll of Hartlepool, the issue of "woke" was mentioned by 2% of voters. It's clearly a key issue.

"woke" is still a bit of a political wonk term though or still a trendy term amongst young mainly (my daughter first taught me the term about 3 years ago with its positive (in her view ) meaning.

However what "woke" means when expressed in other ways would definitley be a factor in places like Hartlepool. Things like Starmer taking the knee (its not so much the black rights issue as obsessing about America in my view)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    A trapped school pupil sparked the fire alarm which delayed the Argyll and Bute election count.

Counting was temporarily halted on Friday for a full evacuation of the Mid Argyll sports centre in Lochgilphead.

It's understood a pupil at the adjacent Lochgilphead High School found themselves in a room where they couldn't get out without opening a fire door which then set off the alarm.

The full Highlands and Islands regional list result is now not expected until later this evening.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,704
    Before yesterday there were no Conservative councillors in Rotherham. Now there are 20. These are the Red Wall 2.0 areas.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1391038924391387139?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Yes, Labour's problem at the moment is that I can't see a leader in waiting. They really need to be creative and look beyond the current shadow cabinet - Ed Balls, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn, even Andy Burnham come to mind. Snag is the membership are more likely to go for another Corbynite.
    Current Shadow Cabinet has perfected the Cloak of Invisibility.

EDIT - AND the Cone of Silence!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Drakeford of course has own distinctive dress sense -- here are his eponymous top and culottes, modelled by some of the lucky ladies that he is laying.

https://houseofollichon.co.uk/copy-of-drakeford-culotte/

https://houseofollichon.co.uk/drakeford-top1/

I have always felt the hysterical rage that some posters feels towards the Drake may perhaps have roots in sexual frustration, perhaps quantity or quality issues. There are deep waters here, who knows how the tender male psyche reacts when confronted with a five chillies hot Welsh university professor?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Street 299,318 (49%)
    Byrne 244,009 (40%)
    Greens 35,559
    Lib Dems 21,836
    Reform 13,568

Have the Greens actually been down anywhere, in percentages in the council elections ? Haven't seen it.
    Green growth is one of the big stories of this cycle that is not getting much mention.

All down to disaffected Corbyn cult voters switching? Or genuine on the ground change?
  • Options
    Forgetting 65, the other "magic number" of MSPs at Holyrood is five. That's the point at which you become a proper party and get representation on the business bureau, a guaranteed question at FMQs, etc...the Lib Dems, sitting on 4 seats, will be tracking regional tallies keenly

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1391041530861916166?s=20
  • Options

It may not matter at the elections but it pisses people off. They might not openly say it but they think it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Beeb: 15:44

Resourceful, these MI5 agents aren’t they? Just enough time to get erasing and rewriting.
  • Options

A young Alba activist?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

It may not matter at the elections but it pisses people off. They might not openly say it but they think it.
    Just because it pisses you off doesn't mean it pisses everyone off.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Drakeford of course has own distinctive dress sense -- here are his eponymous top and culottes, modelled by some of the lucky ladies that he is laying.

I have always felt the hysterical rage that some posters feels towards the Drake may perhaps have roots in sexual frustration, perhaps quantity or quality issues. There are deep waters here, who knows how the tender male psyche reacts when confronted with a five chillies hot Welsh university professor?
    "modelled by some of the lucky ladies that he is laying"

In betting sense, of course! Otherwise might be actionable?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,680
    edited May 2021
    Pulpstar said:

felix said:

Just noticed on the London page that Bailey has moved level with Khan in B & C.

Bailey will win B and C
    He needs a very big win in Barnet to put Khan under pressure. Not impossible.
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Yes, Labour's problem at the moment is that I can't see a leader in waiting. They really need to be creative and look beyond the current shadow cabinet - Ed Balls, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn come to mind. Snag is the membership are more likely to go for another Corbynite.
    Rayner, Jarvis, and Nandy I think, as options in a year or more's time. Balls still hasn't quite moved on psychologically from the New Labour years as yet, but Benn could be an interesting one.
    I hope that Labour don't choose a lightweight leader simply because they feel they have to go for a woman. I can't see Rayner or Nandy as PM I'm afraid
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    edited May 2021

It's a second order derivative issue wrapped up in the fact they don't think Labour shares their values.

Edit: Starmer taking the knee was definitely noticed. It's been mentioned in focus groups. It's a trojan horse for all sorts of things, which ends with people like them being pointed at and told they have "white privilege" and pulling down history and heritage.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Top post!

I owe PB a personal apology for my fatally flawed anecdotal narrative that Johnson vaccinated Wales and Drakeford closed the pubs. Patently wrong. I hold my hands up.

It seems I had underestimated the love for the Drakester.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    kle4 said:

One bet I'm definitely going to lose: £50 on Khan getting 50%+ in the 1st round.

Silly bet.

It looked very worth it.
    The problem with that bet is the greater the chance of Khan getting 50% the less incentive for his voters to 1) vote at all 2) make him first preference. No candidate has got near it yet, the leading candidates so far have been between 36-44%.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,981

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yet Burnham cleans up.
    Will we have the data to compare Burnham's vote in those seats compared to Labour generally?
    Should imagine by Borough rather than constituency. He got 64 % last time.
    Hugely over performs the Party.
  • Options

A young Alba activist?
    Don't they have to be elderly, ex-SNP and preferably disgraced?
  • Options

It's a second order derivative issue wrapped up in the fact they don't think Labour shares their values.
    Perhaps on the whole but most people will form an opinion on each "woke" issue on a case by case basis.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Street 299,318 (49%)
    Byrne 244,009 (40%)
    Greens 35,559
    Lib Dems 21,836
    Reform 13,568

Green growth is one of the big stories of this cycle that is not getting much mention.

All down to disaffected Corbyn cult voters switching? Or genuine on the ground change?
    Starmer has definitely shed votes to the Greens since the expulsion of Corbyn. The polls have consistently shown that, and this may be some of the first evidence appearing on the ground, as well as a much wider protest or climate vote. It makes a cross-party coalition for PR even more likely in the long-term, you would have to say.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Top post!

I owe PB a personal apology for my fatally flawed anecdotal narrative that Johnson vaccinated Wales and Drakeford closed the pubs. Patently wrong. I hold my hands up.

There’s a lot of hate coming your way for underestimating Drakeford. I’d duck back under cover if I were you.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

Good afternoon, everyone.

How's Count Binface doing?

I'm hoping he makes it*

(*to the 20k Ladbrokes goldmine threshold)
  • Options
    felix said:

Can you give a link? I can't find this page anywhere. Thanks.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Tories hold Tunbridge Wells.
    Surprisingly close though.

Con 25 (-6)
    LD 12 (+4)
    Oth 6 (+1)
    Lab 5 (+1)

Not what I would have guessed. Just goes to show.

Nah, I’d expect the Lib Dems to do well there. Here’s their core vote in Woking:

You mean the bloke living under the hedge?
    No, no, no. You have lost the plot. All seriously upper class people have now gone Lib Dem. It is the Conservatives who are reduced to living under hedges. They believe in Conservative policies for concreting all over the green belt by developers, and see nothing wrong with a bit of bribery and corruption and downright lying.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Before yesterday there were no Conservative councillors in Rotherham. Now there are 20. These are the Red Wall 2.0 areas.

Labour's vote in Rotheram collapsed in 2019. What saved them is that it went to the Brexit Party not the Cons. Now...?
  • Options
    The Police Crime Commissioner results to show the personal vote for Street when compared with the mayoral result

Birmingham

Foster, Simon John Labour and Co-operative Party 111,852
    Hambleton, Jools Independent 10,122
    Hoath, Mark William Reform UK 4,743
    Hunt, Jon Liberal Democrats 15,979
    Jaddoo, Desmond Gustavus We Matter Party 4,029
    Singh Sohal, Jay The Conservative Party Candidate 63,681

Coventry

Foster, Simon John Labour and Co-operative Party 37,101
    Hambleton, Jools Independent 3,934
    Hoath, Mark William Reform UK 2,629
    Hunt, Jon Liberal Democrats 4,583
    Jaddoo, Desmond Gustavus We Matter Party 775
    Singh Sohal, Jay The Conservative Party Candidate 24,579

Sandwell

Foster, Simon John Labour and Co-operative Party 35,991
    Hambleton, Jools Independent 2,496
    Hoath, Mark William Reform UK 2,284
    Hunt, Jon Liberal Democrats 2,649
    Jaddoo, Desmond Gustavus We Matter Party 833
    Singh Sohal, Jay The Conservative Party Candidate 22,445

Walsall

Foster, Simon John Labour and Co-operative Party 22,940
    Hambleton, Jools Independent 2,515
    Hoath, Mark William Reform UK 2.007
    Hunt, Jon Liberal Democrats 2,928
    Jaddoo, Desmond Gustavus We Matter Party 465
    Singh Sohal, Jay The Conservative Party Candidate 28,840

Wolverhampton

Foster, Simon John Labour and Co-operative Party 28,231
    Hambleton, Jools Independent 1,746
    Hoath, Mark William Reform UK 1,664
    Hunt, Jon Liberal Democrats 2,419
    Jaddoo, Desmond Gustavus We Matter Party 489
    Singh Sohal, Jay The Conservative Party Candidate 23,252
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Top post!

The TRUE love that dare not speak its name? Until now!
  • Options
    @AndreaParma_82 that is fascinating
  • Options
    Conservatives and SNP agree on one thing - indyref2 won't happen any time soon

https://news.sky.com/story/conservatives-and-snp-agree-on-one-thing-indyref2-wont-happen-any-time-soon-12300228
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Top post!

There’s a lot of hate coming your way for underestimating Drakeford. I’d duck back under cover if I were you.
    He's quacking up!
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Covering up / downplaying widespread child abuse probably doesn't help your cause much either....
  • Options

I never said it did .. but you try to.portray it as an irrelevance and it isn't.
  • Options

I never said it did .. but you try to.portray it as an irrelevance and it isn't.
    I put forward evidence
  • Options

A young Alba activist?
    Don't they have to be elderly, ex-SNP and preferably disgraced?
    Maybe the kid has an old (and depraved) soul!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    NeilVW said:

Labour and the Drake have been getting the media plaudits for their performance in the Welsh Senedd election, equalling their record, but it’s worth noting that the Tories’ 16-seat tally is an all-time high.

Under 20 is a disappointing night for them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    “We won’t want the police hopping on a train north of the border to arrest Nicola Sturgeon and stop the referendum” said one Whitehall source.

Details of the “keep calm” strategy when/if Supreme Court rule Holyrood Indyref2 Act is illegal https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1391043762797875200
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

felix said:

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/live-results/live-mayoral-results
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    SNP sources privately conceding Aberdeenshire West - pretty much ends chances of SNP majority if correct

#BBCElections https://bbc.in/3tswnt2
  • Options

The Police Crime Commissioner results to show the personal vote for Street when compared with the mayoral result

Street campaigned as "Andy Street" with John Lewis green as his colour with negligible mention of "Conservative".

And thanks for all the data you're posting!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    4h
    What’s happening in English politics is unique: it’s a watershed, with rules being radically rewritten, not because an insurgent party is successfully challenging an unpopular incumbent (that happens) but because a popular incumbent is savaging an unpopular opposition.
  • Options
    IMPORTANT NEWS

BBC: SNP are privately conceding they won't win Aberdeenshire West.

Means no SNP majority according to Prof John Curtis.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Binface holding steady at 1% in all still counting boroughs - will be close around the 20K Jackpot threshold but I am going to call it for him with errrmm 21,076 votes
  • Options
    Hearing SNP running around 60% on Glasgow list votes.
  • Options
    Haydock (St Helens) council result:

Grn: 53.3% (+53.3)
    Lab: 31.3% (-39.2)
    Con: 13.4% (+2.6)
    Oth: 1.9% (+1.9)

No UKIP (-18.7) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Binface holding steady at 1% in all still counting boroughs - will be close around the 20K Jackpot threshold but I am going to call it for him with errrmm 21,076 votes

The Binface operation has beaten Corbyn and Peter Gammons. Other parties will be poring over it, inevitably.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    4h
    What’s happening in English politics is unique: it’s a watershed, with rules being radically rewritten, not because an insurgent party is successfully challenging an unpopular incumbent (that happens) but because a popular incumbent is savaging an unpopular opposition.

But his wallpaper...
  • Options
    edited May 2021

No UKIP (-18.7) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab

In this ward, appears that Greens took votes from disaffected Labourites AND former Kippers?
  • Options
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

felix said:

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/live-results/live-mayoral-results
    Bailey is curretly 109/1 on Betfair. 2nd favourite.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

So the Green's join the SNP in power for the first time anywhere in the UK? Will be interesting to see how they do.
  • Options

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    4h

But his wallpaper...
    Granted, in wretched taste (more ways than one).

But then Great British Public has NEVER been notable for keen fashion sense.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    4h

But his wallpaper...

Ex Labour voters in Essex now on Radio 4 - 'Talking about wallpaper during a pandemic!' one of the things that comes up. The sheer PETTINESS of Labour is so unattractive.

https://twitter.com/BoozeAndFagz/status/1390933328908464128
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

So the Green's join the SNP in power for the first time anywhere in the UK? Will be interesting to see how they do.
    Ummm - apart from the last five years at Holyrood, you mean?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

No UKIP (-18.7) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab

In this ward, appears that Greens took votes from disaffected Labourites AND former Kippers?
    That's an interesting one. They must be hoovering up the wider anti-establishment vote in some places, largely under the radar of a lot of the media.
  • Options

BBC Politics

@BBCPolitics

Labour plans to overhaul its offer to voters and move staff out of London after election defeats in England https://bbc.in/3uB1NPa #BBCElections

Sir Keir Starmer
    Elections 2021: Labour plans changes after election defeats in England

A policy overhaul and frontbench reshuffle are expected in response to a series of election setbacks.
    bbc.com

Looks like a slump in Islington property prices on the way - they're all moving to Hartlepool! Anyone gonna tell Lady Nugent?
  • Options
    Andy Street's 100 Day Plan if re-elected:

https://twitter.com/andy4wm/status/1390275152659636232?s=20
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Spurs season 2020/21 RIP
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

OllyT said:

I’m not so sure.

Add together the latest economic forecasts and the collective desire of the major powers to engineer a boom for the next couple of years, and I think Boris is going to be able to splash the cash right through to the election.

The reckoning comes later. If Labour is really unlucky, it will come during the first term of a weak Labour minority Government....
    Inheriting the Tories mess and having to clear it up. Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Hearing SNP running around 60% on Glasgow list votes.

In 5 constituencies counted yesterday SNP list % is

Annsieland: 41.7%
    Maryhill: 47.1%
    Pollock 49%
    Rutherglen: 42.2%
    Southside: 41.1%
This discussion has been closed.