Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Alba just get 3% in first Scottish poll since Salmond launched his new party – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2021 in General
Alba just get 3% in first Scottish poll since Salmond launched his new party – politicalbetting.com

Survation has ALBA at 3%, the SNP likely to get a majority on its own (49% in the constituencies and 37% in the lists), and the Greens in with a strong showing at 11% in the lists. ALBA is going the way of Change UK. https://t.co/Evj4yhM6fw

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    test
  • LOL
  • Boo that the fact this poll gives the SNP and the Greens a supermajority.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    I was going to ask how this poll was for the unionists. Turns out - not great
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    5th like wee ek
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    The thread header has vanished after briefly attracting much interest.

Not like Salmond, who may have led to many interesting briefs but was not merely of brief interest.
    So why isn’t this murder attracting the same opprobrium as that of Sarah Everard?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56569863
    Genuine question as this seemed equally horrifying.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,839
    Alba Turkey?
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Presumably under this electoral system, the public themselves have to believe you’re going to win seats in order to cast a vote for you? Not being in the tv debates and the like won’t help there. On the other hand, he’s clever enough to turn his fuss over not being in the debates into a significant amount of publicity anyway.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I'm more interested in the sweet spot when(if) they cost Sindy parties any seats.

But I'd settle for 'no additional' sindy msps on top of what already looked likely.

If they really do get nothing do they go the way of change UK, even the MPs?
    The SNP has such a surfeit of constituency MPs, that if they fish only in that pool, I can't see them reducing the number of Sindy MPs at all.

However, if they take votes from the Greens, such that they both dip below 6-7% in a given region, then it would have an impact.
    Seems unlikely they both could be so reduced, shame.
  • So why isn’t this murder attracting the same opprobrium as that of Sarah Everard?

Because he's not someone who is employed with the full power of the state to protect us.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes...
  • Nicola Sturgeon has just seen this poll.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1377672962191544321

So why isn’t this murder attracting the same opprobrium as that of Sarah Everard?

Because he's not someone who is employed with the full power of the state to protect us.

Didn't we hear a lot about the Everard murder even before it came out that a serving officer was the suspect?

I thought the outrage was about all women and all men? I’m genuinely mystified as to why this doesn’t make the main news.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited April 2021
    A PB travel forum request:

I'm looking to book a few nights in a smart hotel in the central London in September to belatedly celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. I'm thinking £400-£500 per night - a cut above our usual Novotel.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm looking to book a few nights in a smart hotel in the central London in September to belatedly celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. I'm thinking £400-£500 per night - a cut above our usual Novotel.

Thanks!

Go to Cardiff instead? :smile:
    ydoethur said:

Thanks!

I love Cardiff. But it's not in the same league as London from a tourist perspective.

I think this summer and autumn might be the best ever time to be a tourist in London - everything open (hopefully) but no foreign tourists competing for space.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

I love Cardiff. But it's not in the same league as London from a tourist perspective.

I think this summer and autumn might be the best ever time to be a tourist in London - everything open (hopefully) but no foreign tourists competing for space.
    The Nomad Hotel is opening in London in May, and in my travelling days I always loved staying in their New York mothership.

But, I suspect it’s a bit wanky for you.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Thanks!

I can only imagine what £400-£500 per night gets you... I assume someone is available to dress and bathe you?
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Thanks!

You’re not far off Ritz money, booked in advance.
    As expected Alba is a damp squib.
    I predicted as much.

It is REALLY hard to get over 5% as a new party, especially when your leader is a known (but legally unblemished) sex pest.

What is disappointing from a Unionist perspective is no obvious “bounce” for Anas Sarwar and little damage to the SNP. And the Greens appear completely unscathed.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

I predicted as much.

It is REALLY hard to get over 5% as a new party, especially when your leader is a known (but legally unblemished) sex pest.

What is disappointing from a Unionist perspective is no obvious “bounce” for Anas Sarwar and little damage to the SNP. And the Greens appear completely unscathed.

Probably a tad too early to look at Sawars impact, but no doubt labour are in a better place than they’ve been historically.

Interesting times ahead
    Civil liberties, Belgium-style.
    Horses, water cannons, and tear gas.

No doubt some PBers would approve of importing this continental innovation.

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1377667538490916864?s=21

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

The Nomad Hotel is opening in London in May, and in my travelling days I always loved staying in their New York mothership.

But, I suspect it’s a bit wanky for you.
    I've not heard of it before. I'll take a look, thanks.
  • Anyhoo top shout to Scotch experts who said Alba was going to be a bit rubbish as opposed to resident Scots who said I think 12% support was the level of Alba
    edited April 2021

Thanks!

I can only imagine what £400-£500 per night gets you... I assume someone is available to dress and bathe you?
    It's way above what I'd normally spend but it is a special occasion.
  • Civil liberties, Belgium-style.

I believe there was a British politician who bought water cannon trucks, anyone know what happened to him?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,839

Thanks!

The Goring is nice.

I believe there was a British politician who bought water cannon trucks, anyone know what happened to him?
    I don’t know but I remember he was a bit of a drip.
    ydoethur said:

I think he had a major problem with leaks.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    kinabalu said:

Thanks!

The Goring is nice.
    The Corinthia in Northumberland Avenue.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/fe234f59-75b9-44f7-af8a-f05e588957b7#

Greensill Capital’s administrator has failed to verify invoices underpinning loans to Sanjeev Gupta, after companies listed on the documents denied that they had ever done business with the metals magnate.

If this is true, then things are likely to end very poorly for GFG, Liberty, and for various politicians who guaranteed GFG loans.

Bloody hell, this is Wirecard level of awful. The auditor is going to be in big trouble too.
    According to the FT article, there are invoices to firms that do not even have trading relationships with GFG.

That's a major, major issue. Because auditors should check pretty much all major trading relationships actually exist, and then should spot check invoices.

(I don't personally think this is quite as bad as Wirecard, because GFG/Greensill didn't get the UK regulator to threaten journalists who asked awkward questions.)
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    Middle class white guy off twitter thinking he understands race better than Tony Sewell. Not a great look.
    Problem is, many black and mixed race people also disagree with Tony Sewell. I don’t get the impression from conversations with my family and friends, as well as my social media feeds that he has credibility within black communities in this country.
    I think it is an excellent debate to have, and will get around to reading the report. That some of the single issue campaigners are getting a bit of pushback is excellent. It will help keep them honest.

On this report it is quite noticeable that the people complaining have pivoted away from evidence to anecdotes aka "Lived Experience".
    There's plenty of hard data that can be used to support a conclusion that racism remains a significant issue for many people in the UK. As for lived experience, it shouldn't be treated lightly. If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. Not everything can be measured and independently verified. In fact many things in society can't. And not being able to measure and independently something does not mean it isn't a problem or can't be responded to.
    Thinking about this report a little bit, the difference between outcomes for people of Afro Carribean descent and more recent African immigrants does seem important. I'm only speculating but having slavery as an integral part of you heritage and the reason you are where you are would seem likely to me to have a big effect on how you perceive society and your place in it. Also your parents and grandparents having experienced the UK when institutional and more general societal racism were definitely things must be an influence.

It's definitely an area worth exploring; running a gormless 'the upsides of slavery' line is the absolute opposite of that though.
    Yep, that (and similar) is definitely an important thing to look at. I absolutely get the need to not lump all minority groups together and just proclaim that our society is endemically racist and rigged against everyone who isn't white. Also, being white myself and not facing any of these issues, I don't feel right in attempting to lay the law down on this any which way. But an important point to stress (imo) is that racism can hold you back in ways other than experiencing very obvious and regular discrimination from white people here in 2021. Like you say, there is surely a legacy from the shameful past. How can there not be.
    I don't believe the "if I am not suffering from XYZ myself, I can't talk about it" line. To me that is just an acceptance for single issue lobby groups to run riot with whatever they want to make up. Campaigners need to be kept honest.

One blatant example that sticks out is the people lobbying from 2017 that the HoC only has 1% of disabled people as MPs to represent the 20% or so of people who can theoretically be identified as disabled. And therefore do what we say ... disability quotas ... yadda yadda yadda.

When examined, the 1% list seemed to consist of people in wheelchairs, and even excluded Theresa May herself.

Yet they made it as far as contributing a video report to the Daily Politics without being called on it.
    Anybody can have a view on anything and its weight derives from knowledge, empathy, imagination and insight. That's how I assess other people's opinions. How much of those 4 things they are bringing to the subject.

The shorter you are on the knowledge (eg topic is racism and you are white) the longer you need to be on the empathy, imagination and insight.
    Does knowledge for example include reading every available study and police report on racism incidence?
    Gosh yes. Are you quite clued up then?
    Sorry to be late to this.

You said that the important factors are knowledge, empathy, imagination and insight. If you acknowledge that anyone, black or white could have knowledge, and you previously said that the other factors had to be good (implying that white or black people could have these) then you accept that the colour of your skin is unimportant when it comes to understanding racism.
    On topic, I disagree with the final sentence.

The only way this election is going to be tight is if all the candidates are locked in a distillery.

The question is whether the SNP are the largest party or win a majority. Anything else is noise.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks!

The Goring is nice.
    The Corinthia in Northumberland Avenue.
    Both the Goring and the Corinthia are very good, also consider The Connaught

ydoethur said:

I think he had a major problem with leaks.
    Good job he wasn’t Welsh then.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    @ Benpointer FPT

Dukes, in St James' Place, for a classy, quiet hotel in a superb location
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Thanks!

You don’t need to pay anything like that to get somewhere decent. Do a search on one of the main booking websites, ideally via a cashback page like Quidco. Some special hotels to look at: 41, Charlotte St Hotel, the Soho Hotel, the Cadogan, the Langham, the Bloomsbury.
    TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

Sadly Le Caprice is no longer around the corner.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

I thought the outrage was about all women and all men? I’m genuinely mystified as to why this doesn’t make the main news.
    It's obvious. The murder happened outside the M25.
    TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Where they only allow you two martinis and where once I was sitting when a fellow stood up, walked to the door, and then fell into a table before he made it.

Dukes was actually one of my very few socialising events post March 2020. And no I didn't fall over but damn those martinis are good.
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

And The Stafford has also sadly gone downhill.
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

Has it? That's sad. I used to love the bar at the Stafford.
    TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Forgot about Dukes. The Stafford as well for that part of town.

As @rcs1000 said, shame about Le Caprice but, for all its faults, The Wolseley is always fun
  • Vaccine passports are coming - for foreign travel

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1377692487918227459?s=19
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

That is grim re The Stafford. I also liked the bar.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    I think the pro-Indy majority much be more comfortable than these polls suggest.

The Euros in 2019 did get decent numbers of Remainders working out how to tactically vote n multi member constituencies, an element of the remain campaign which was broadly successful with smallish numbers of people.

What Alba have done is thrown open the supermajority idea, and what may actually happen is greater SNP / Green splitting where that is helpful: both as a positive attempt at a supermajority and a defensive move to prevent Alba's odd success bringing them the balance of power.

Don't get me wrong, this won't be loads, but could be enough Green list votes to get the SNP/Green comfortably over the line.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited April 2021
    The Shangri-La in the Shard looked half decent when it was Giles Coren's hotel program.

Upside is that if you are in the Shard you can't see it.

* this is not a recommendation - I just wanted to point out the upside
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

Not the same anymore. The bar is the same but they are sweating the asset.

And I agree with @MrEd - nothing wrong with the Wolseley. As long as you can sit in the inner circle...
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,920
    One local by-election today - Con defence in Monmouthshire. Also a rumour that there are 13 Loony candidates in the Chessington South by- election in Kingston.
    kle4 said:

Didn't we hear a lot about the Everard murder even before it came out that a serving officer was the suspect?
    We did and absolutely right, it wasn't known for days about the possible police suspect. We heard a lot because she had the same background as many of the people who worked in the media, so it was frontpage news. Lorraine Cox didn't and doesn't.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited April 2021
    Err, for how long have the LDs been in existence?

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1377690692382769152?s=21
    edited April 2021

Thanks!

Rocco Forte Brown's Hotel. Amazing location in Westminster, good food and old school English ambience. About that price.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721

Thanks!

I stayed at a hotel called The Landmark last January, the Winter Gardens were cool, that’s the reason I booked it, and it’s convenient for Regents Park, Hampstead & the WestEnd shops. My girlfriend ordered a drink and the bottom fell out of the glass and soaked her clothes, which ruined the night a bit. I’m not a London hotel expert, the only other one I’ve stayed in is the Soho, which might be a bit young for you I’m guessing.

Here’s a pic of the Winter Gardens from my insta!

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

And I agree with @MrEd - nothing wrong with the Wolseley. As long as you can sit in the inner circle...
    Yes @TOPPING. Luckily enough most of the people who take me there get such hallowed spots.....

I'd agree with Browns as well as a good spot

Er, for how long have the LDs been in existence?

1988, officially.

1859, if we’re talking about their longest lived ancestral party.

1679, if we’re talking about *their* longest lived ancestral party.

So ‘over a century’ is technically untrue, and even if it were technically true, it would be true only on a technicality.

‘It’s bollocks’ is quicker.
    slade said:

One local by-election today - Con defence in Monmouthshire. Also a rumour that there are 13 Loony candidates in the Chessington South by- election in Kingston.

I hope we have masses of loony candidates all over the country given lower signature requirements. That is an impressive number for a counci by election though.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Isn't it a little premature to be writing off a party launched less than a week ago?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    isam said:

Thanks!

I stayed at a hotel called The Landmark last January, the Winter Gardens were cool, that’s the reason I booked it, and it’s convenient for Regents Park, Hampstead & the WestEnd shops. My girlfriend ordered a drink and the bottom fell out of the glass and soaked her clothes, which ruined the night a bit. I’m not a London hotel expert, the only other one I’ve stayed in is the Soho, which might be a bit young for you I’m guessing.

Used to use the Landmark for breakfast meetings - mainly because Marylebone station is opposite so I could be there for 8am without any issue.
    dodrade said:

Isn't it a little premature to be writing off a party launched less than a week ago?

Most of us wrote off CUK even before it was launched.

And we were right.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2021
    Two thoughts:

1. Far too early to write off Salmond. Firstly his party has only just become a thing. Secondly we ought to know better than to read anything into a single opinion poll. Polls are potentially deeply unreliable as it is - the least we can therefore do is look at a whole series of them and try to spot trends.

2. However, because it's no fun not joining in the game of wild guesses, I'm going to do it anyway. A possible explanation for the list vote changes is as follows:

(a) Younger pro-independence voters - particularly likely to be raring to dump the English and about the Greens' platform - are voting Green in larger numbers. They can pick something they approve of *and* follow the logic of Salmond's supermajority plan without having to go anywhere near the man himself: what's not to like?
    (b) The decline in Tory support is the product of some Yes/Leave voters, who dislike the SNP even more than they approve of nationalism as a concept, going to Alba, and some wet centrists who liked Ruth deserting to the Lib Dems.
    (c) Regardless of how much of an improvement Anas Sarwar is over his predecessor, he's making no progress because Labour has a low, and gradually declining, ceiling of support. Left voters are predominantly pro-independence and the more elderly unionist ones are disappearing through, ahem, natural wastage
    ydoethur said:

Er, for how long have the LDs been in existence?

1988, officially.

1859, if we’re talking about their longest lived ancestral party.

1679, if we’re talking about *their* longest lived ancestral party.

So ‘over a century’ is technically untrue, and even if it were technically true, it would be true only on a technicality.

‘It’s bollocks’ is quicker.
    Meh. We still have Tories despite no formal Tory party. Yes it's wrong, especially as unlike the Tories it's so much more recent that the LDs were formed, but I don't think the point is diminished.

And technically true would still be true, you don't lose points on a technicality (but this one it is technically untrue anyway).
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    ydoethur said:

dodrade said:

And we were right.
    Perhaps Salmond should have called his party The Independence Group.

ydoethur said:

dodrade said:

And we were right.
    Perhaps Salmond should have called his party The Independence Group.
    I think ‘The Only Supporters of Scotland’s Electoral Right to Secede.’

After all, they are all TOSSERS.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909

Thanks!

Travelodge Ilford...

April Fool!

Thanks!

Travelodge Ilford...

April Fool!
    I thought the April Fool was at Watford?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited April 2021
    dodrade said:

I’ve not written them off but history suggests that it’s incredibly difficult to start an electorally successful new party, particularly from a standing start. I think that Alba’s main problem is that it and its supporters moving force is detestation of Sturgeon and the SNP while they’re simultaneously trying to persuade SNP voters to give them their list vote. I’m not sure how that circle can be squared.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    If I bet on this it will be an expensive election.

Puts card back in wallet.

Thanks!

Travelodge Ilford...

April Fool!
    To be honest, I would stay somewhere cheaper (probably some great deals with no international tourists!) and blow the budget on dinner, tea at Fornums, Opera House etc...
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited April 2021
    MrEd said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@ Benpointer FPT

Agreed.

I know. Shocking.

Yes @TOPPING. Luckily enough most of the people who take me there get such hallowed spots.....

I'd agree with Browns as well as a good spot
    Wodehouse recommends Barribault's; Christie doesn't recommend Bertram's.

If you want an apostrophe, Brown's. If not, Ritz.

None of it of course matches the Travelodge at Blyth for elegance, romance and pampered comfort.

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Took my eldest daughter to get some toys for her new (very adorable) puppy

On the way we somehow got talking about cosmology. My older daughter is 14

Presuming she knew very little of the intricacies, I vaguely mentioned the infinite multiverse theory, expecting her to be gobsmacked or incomprehending or to revert to her default option of "Dad shut up stop talking bollocks"

Instead she said, quite calmly, "Yes but one of the problems with the infinite parallel universes theory is that there must be a universe where this theory does not apply, and thus there is a universe within the multiverse which has no multiverse, so how do you solve that paradox?"

I was simultaneously silenced, but also (without showing her) very very proud.

Then we got new puppy chews

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited April 2021
    The Sofitel St James is my budget premium hotel.

Just a warning about some of your top end hotels in London, they list the nightly rate, but very sneakily add on a circa 5% service charge.

Claridges are arses for that.

But Brown's is pretty good for the price range @Benpointer mentioned, but you have to find the right dates.

dodrade said:

I’ve not written them off but history suggests that it’s incredibly difficult to start an electorally successful new party, particularly from a standing start. I think that Alba’s main problem is that it and its supporters moving force is detestation of Sturgeon and the SNP while they’re simultaneously trying to persuade SNP voters to give them their list vote. I’m not sure how that circle can be squared.
    I think that the other thing a party needs is an agenda, not just a has-been wanting a comeback.
    Leon said:

Presuming she knew very little of the intricacies, I vaguely mentioned the infinite multiverse theory, expecting her to be gobsmacked or incomprehending or to revert to her default option of "Dad shut up stop talking bollocks"

Instead she said, quite calmly, "Yes but one of the problems with the infinite parallel universes theory is that there must be a universe where this theory does not apply, and thus there is a universe within the multiverse which has no multiverse, so how do you solve that paradox?"

Maybe it's a multi-puppy-chew-niverse?
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

Thanks!

You don’t need to pay anything like that to get somewhere decent. Do a search on one of the main booking websites, ideally via a cashback page like Quidco. Some special hotels to look at: 41, Charlotte St Hotel, the Soho Hotel, the Cadogan, the Langham, the Bloomsbury.
    Those all sound like 4-bed House Designs on a slighly not-downmarket new estate in Milton Keynes, if you remove "Hotel".

My next stay in London will be in the Hilton where you take the private ferry. But not at £400 a night.
    Leon said:

She's not correct. Because the universe is a subset of the multiverse.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

She's not correct. Because the universe is a subset of the multiverse.
    That'll shut her up. ;)
    isam said:

Thanks!

We had jewelry stolen by the housekeeping staff there, which rather put us off it.
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Maybe it's a multi-puppy-chew-niverse?
    Get her a copy of "The Planiverse" by A K Dewdney, to get the dimensions down to 2.

And some lettuces to deal with the cosmology.
    edited April 2021
    “It is actually usually a large combination of factors, some of which are under our control, many of which are not. And more of it is chance than I think people are prepared to accept,” - Chris Whitty on the spread of Covid.

Pretty much what I thought really. He could be say the same about almost any aspect of life
    MrEd said:

Agree but (1) the victim is not a white middle class woman living in Zones 1-2 London and working in a media industry job and (2) the perpetrator is an illegal asylum seeker who should have been kicked out of the country but wasn't so both the authorities and the left are not too keen on having the story being publicised.
    The left, like the daily tabloid newspapers?

I predicted as much.

No, it's gravy for unionists. The Nationalist cause is schismatized, and seems bitterly divided, and Boris can dismiss the new Holyrood as a gamed system

If Alba do this badly, Salmond has done terrible damage to indy. We shall see
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Thanks!

We had jewelry stolen by the housekeeping staff there, which rather put us off it.
    Oh dear. Luckily my girlfriend left had her expensive stuff behind in the hospital where our son was born about two months earlier, and I don’t wear any, so we had none for them to steal!
    edited April 2021
    Foxy said:

Thanks!

Travelodge Ilford...

April Fool!
    To be honest, I would stay somewhere cheaper (probably some great deals with no international tourists!) and blow the budget on dinner, tea at Fornums, Opera House etc...
    If it is still as excellent, Rasa Thai on Charlotte Street.

Or Veeraswamy.
    Leon said:

I predicted as much.

No, it's gravy for unionists. The Nationalist cause is schismatized, and seems bitterly divided, and Boris can dismiss the new Holyrood as a gamed system

The way this poll in the header looks, the embarrassing and degrading mess over the last months has not dampened enthusiasm for an SNP majority. The SNP are through the worst too and are likely to get stronger.
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Agree but (1) the victim is not a white middle class woman living in Zones 1-2 London and working in a media industry job and (2) the perpetrator is an illegal asylum seeker who should have been kicked out of the country but wasn't so both the authorities and the left are not too keen on having the story being publicised.
    Plenty of coverage on the BBC and other media outlets. Not quite sure what point @MrEd is trying to make.
    Re GFG / Greeensill, the other potential casualty out of all of this is Softbank. (Bear in mind that Softbank is the largest external shareholder in Greenshll.)

It appears that Greenshill lent $475m to a Softbank investment just months before its collapse. And that exactly none of that money was repaid.
    isam said:

“It is actually usually a large combination of factors, some of which are under our control, many of which are not. And more of it is chance than I think people are prepared to accept,” - Chris Whitty on the spread of Covid.

Pretty much what I thought really. He could be say the same about almost any aspect of life

It's an absolutely spot on observation.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

I predicted as much.

The way this poll in the header looks, the embarrassing and degrading mess over the last months has not dampened enthusiasm for an SNP majority. The SNP are through the worst too and are likely to get stronger.
    Schisms are bad. I know you want the SNP to win so Scotland goes indy to punish us for voting Brexit, but, schisms are bad. They generally hinder the cause

It would be surprising, but not impossible, if this were an exception, but so far it looks like proving the rule

I readily admit that if Alba gets 15 seats on the List (and the SNP gets zillions of constituency seats) then that will boost the indy cause. Boris will still refuse a vote, but there is then a chance that Scotland will surge into passive mass resistance and Mahatama Gandhi stylee bullshit.

And then, after five years, the YES vote could be consistently over 60% and Britain is done for. Certainly possible
    edited April 2021
    Where do MPs take their Secretaries these days?
    stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Plenty of coverage on the BBC and other media outlets. Not quite sure what point @MrEd is trying to make.
    Lead story on main news of the day? I didn’t see it.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MrEd said:

Point 1 is the first half of the explanation, but the second is that Sarah Everard was abducted. Lorraine Cox appears to have been persuaded to go back to her killer's home. Both were cruel murders, but the former involved, from the point of view of the media and the wider public that consume it, a more sympathetic victim and far more sensational circumstances.

If point 2 had anything to do with it then why would the majority of the press that is NOT particularly forgiving of failed asylum seekers being left at liberty to commit horrendous crimes not pick up the ball and run with this?

Whilst we are fortunate not to live in an atypically brutal society, people are nonetheless murdered regularly, and killings therefore need to be exceptional to achieve notoriety. The depressing monotony of young men stabbed to death on the streets, and women bludgeoned to death by violent partners at home, goes mostly unnoticed because society is used to it. Like deaths from Winter flu or road traffic accidents, if it doesn't involve you personally, it's just background noise. One column at the bottom of page 14 of a newspaper. Statistics.
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I predicted as much.

Schisms are bad. I know you want the SNP to win so Scotland goes indy to punish us for voting Brexit, but, schisms are bad. They generally hinder the cause

It would be surprising, but not impossible, if this were an exception, but so far it looks like proving the rule

I readily admit that if Alba gets 15 seats on the List (and the SNP gets zillions of constituency seats) then that will boost the indy cause. Boris will still refuse a vote, but there is then a chance that Scotland will surge into passive mass resistance and Mahatama Gandhi stylee bullshit.

And then, after five years, the YES vote could be consistently over 60% and Britain is done for. Certainly possible
    Mahatma Gandhi stylee won in the end. Hardly any Brits were killed by Indian terrorists.
    stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

There's this slightly irritating belief that is seen on all sides of the political spectrum that it's all a big conspiracy*.

The reality is that algorithms for selling advertising space, based on time to read story, engagement rates, shares, etc., determine what gets shown.

Sarah Eversted, for one reason or another got traction. This other story did not.

This was not to do with "The Left" covering it up. It was to do with which stories garnered click throughs and shares and sold advertising.

* See the Left blaming the media for covering up stories about Palestine... when the reality is that stories about Palestine don't sell advertising, when stories about Meghan do.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

Thanks!

I take it you're buying the good lady a ruby also? One night less in your hotel will get you an extremely nice one.

Congratulations btw!
    isam said:

Covid really is a lottery.

Mrs Foxy had it, I didn't in the same house. I saw a guy today who nearly died of it, in his fifties, who took a couple of months to be able to walk and speak.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

Thanks!

You’re not far off Ritz money, booked in advance.
    That's the key question imo.

London's a big place with lots of posh hotels, several of which have already been recommended. The question is whether it is better to choose one and book in advance at a reduced rate, or wait as late as possible and book at lastminute.com or one of the other late booking sites. Usually they describe but not name the hotels but googling phrases from the descriptions can often identify them. So book early, or late. Sorry if that's not much help.
    edited April 2021

Lead story on main news of the day? I didn’t see it.

Doesn't have to be the main story to get coverage.

Should it have been the lead story of the day? That's an editorial decision for newspapers and the media. It's a terrible crime and yes of course it has been reported.

I'm still not quite sure what's being implied here.
This discussion has been closed.