Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Newly published YouGov carried out a week ago has CON lead down 4%

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2021 in General

Newly published YouGov carried out a week ago has CON lead down 4%

Read the full story here

Comments

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Uno
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    TimT said:

Uno

Pharma Papa quick on the draw
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    3rd rate EU vaccine feckup.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    gealbhan said:

TimT said:

Uno

Biorisk papa - Max is Pharma Papa
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2021
    Oh for fuck's sake.

EDIT: it was all going too well, wasn't it? Looks like I'm waiting for fucking months after all. Great.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    So the poll we all thought was a bit of a fun outlier was, er a bit of fun outlier.

But only a bit.
  • FPT
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Scottish government couldn't run a whelk store. The idea that they think they can run a railway is, well, alarming.
    The Scottish government won't be running a railway.

1 Successive private operators have screwed it up - National Express then First Group. And now Abellio where the Dutch taxpayer is no longer willing to subsidise Scottish trains
    2 The Abellio franchise was announced in 2019 as terminating 3 years early in 2022 - this is the point where the franchisee cannot meet the additional "cap and collar" payments required
    3 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises during Covid it cannot continue with minimal fares, so it is ending now and being replaced by an Abellio-run management concession until 2022
    4 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises it will then be "nationalised". Which means it will be run by the Operator of Last Resort - a Limited company that in Scotland will be wholly owned by Transport Scotland as opposed to the English version which is wholly owned by the DfT
    5 As with the English version this "nationalised" operator is a private sector consortium of Arup, Ernst & Young and SNC Lavalin Rail
    6 As with other OLR operations the existing management largely stick around, just with new bosses.
    And the taxpayer underwrites the inevitable losses. Joy.
    We are ALREADY underwriting the losses! If you tried to run Scotrail commercially you'd shut most of it down. The subsidy cost of passenger rail operations is roughly 5x what it was when BR was run as a commercial operation in the late 80s/early 90s. Intercity was the only profitable long-distance passenger operator in the world.
    No, at the moment we are subsidising a lot of routes but the trading losses which accrue despite that subsidy are not our problem. After this they will be.
    Rail franchising has become a financial absolute basket case - whom are you lining up to be the replacement franchisee? National Express have long departed the scene, First have already had it and failed, Abellio have had their franchise terminated. Arriva aren't taking on any franchises due to their own existing ones being a mess so who does that leave?

Someone has to run the trains. As no private operator is prepared to take the hit any more that leaves the British state (as opposed to someone else's state).
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,238
    What has happened?!

Oh for fuck's sake.

EDIT: it was all going too well, wasn't it? Looks like I'm waiting for fucking months after all. Great.
    It really depends how bad this contraction is. If it means no new jabs at all for a month, just 2nd doses, that is quite shit. If we go down to 200,000 first jabs daily, it is not a disaster. But which is it?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Oh bugger... significant reduction in vaccines from the end of the month.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Gosh the EU are actually going to do this aren't they?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Side effects can relate to a good immune system because it is immune system causing it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56375307
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

What has happened?!
    Read the letter from NHS England - vaccine delivers are running short so a slight reprioritisation with no movement for those below 50.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    April is buggered then.

Unless nice Uncle Joe Biden lets us have use of those stacked up unauthorised AZ vaccines that the EU wants.

You know, that EU that has the close ties to China.....
    Is it actually possible the EU has already..... done this? What's the alternative explanation?
    Time to scream, shout and threaten to sue AZN, as clearly they have f##ked up.....

More seriously though, there is clearly a manufacturing bottleneck somewhere as they just aren't able to do the 3-4 million a week they claimed was easy.
    eek said:

Leon said:

What has happened?!
    Read the letter from NHS England - vaccine delivers are running short so a slight reprioritisation with no movement for those below 50.
    I have. Why suddenly lower supplies? Not explained
    Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't sound like they are cancelling anything.
    Leon said:
    Is there a problem? We are miles ahead of the game aren’t we?
  • Bad news about the vaccines.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Leon said:

Is it actually possible the EU has already..... done this? What's the alternative explanation?

It sounds like it
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't sound like they are cancelling anything.
    Maybe not, but a lot of under 50s were hoping to get jabbed in April. This is shit news
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it
    If they have we need to fucking nuke them.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Would be rather politically difficult if there's any appearance of European supplies increasing in April.

Aside from the politics, bullies clearly shouldn't win.
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it
    I'll post this now before someone else does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY

Time to scream, shout and threaten to sue AZN, as clearly they have f##ked up.....

More seriously though, there is clearly a manufacturing bottleneck somewhere as they just aren't able to do the 3-4 million a week they claimed was easy.

Scream and shout? How about we prepare the gallows at Tyburn for the various pharma executives.

j/k of course
    TimT said:

gealbhan said:

TimT said:

Uno

Biorisk papa - Max is Pharma Papa
    A cup I haven’t swilled for numerous months has just said good afternoon to me. Is this a biorisk or a breakthrough?
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it
    But they are talking about constraining unjabbed cohorts. If it was just Pfizer and there was loads of AZN, we just give all the new cohorts AZN, no?

We were suppoaed to be getting many millions a week by now of AZN.

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it
    But they are talking about constraining unjabbed cohorts. If it was just Pfizer and there was loads of AZN, we just give all the new cohorts AZN, no?

I don't understand. Maybe Max can help us
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    NEW: The roll-out of Covid vaccinations to under-50s has been delayed - and will only be offered in "exceptional circumstances".

A supply shortage will mean the NHS focuses on second jabs and remaining over-50s next month.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Bollocks. It was all going so well.
    That's the entire unlocking timetable after March 29th in the dustbin as well. We're all going to be stuck in fucking lockdown until - when? July? August? The end of the damned year?

I could live with this bullshit for a bit longer but not for an endless age. Fuck "Stay at fucking home", time to arrange meet-ups with mates and family visits I think.
    Rather disappointing that everyone is struggling all at once, given this presumably means a slow down from existing suppliers and nothing doing with Moderna or J&J which were hoped to join the party round about now.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

We were expecting deliveries of new vaccines in April - Moderna for one. If they are behind on their deliveries to the EU (who ordered that one before us) then it would have a knock-on impact to our deliveries.

There was a story a few days ago saying that the EU had secured 10 million more Pfizer doses in Q2, bright forward from H2, so maybe Pfizer have bowed to pressure and rejigged their delivery schedules to prioritise the EU ahead of us.

And, it could just be a couple of bad batches at the AZ plant. A bit of bad luck, and then when you are running everything at capacity it becomes very obvious.

It would be interesting to know the details.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,584
    Off Topic

Raab accuses EU of erecting Irish Sea border! (Guardian)

Err, isn't that what we signed up to?
    Has anybody told Hancock about the vaccine delivery issue as he is giving it the mega positive stuff.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

That's the entire unlocking timetable after March 29th in the dustbin as well. We're all going to be stuck in fucking lockdown until - when? July? August? The end of the damned year?

I could live with this bullshit for a bit longer but not for an endless age. Fuck "Stay at fucking home", time to arrange meet-ups with mates and family visits I think.

Calm down - the rationale for opening up depends on vaccinating groups 1-9 and that hasn't changed, plus the effects of the lockdown on massively reducing the prevalence, and that has happened. I know you are prone to the black dog, and this is poor news, but there is no reason to suggest the opening up will have to change.

Would be quite a step for Boris to step forward and claim vaccination has going badly and he had to change timetable.

The timetable is already extremely cautious - can't believe he's going to destroy his biggest governing success by using it to explain more lockdown.
  • Well I'm due my second Pfizer at the end of next month.

https://twitter.com/drmarkporter/status/1372230849215795200
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

How do you know its going to affect the lockdown timetable?
    Buy fucking Sputnik or Sinovac. Seriously.
  • Has anybody told Hancock about the vaccine delivery issue as he is giving it the mega positive stuff.

If they haven't the journalists questions will
    edited March 2021
    Well anyway, it looks like they can at least clear all the over 50s who are their voter base.

What do we think might be coming next? Domestic vaccine passports so the olds can go out and do everything whilst the rest of us are locked up for God knows how long? It's possible. I'd believe anything of this lot.
    Go to India, spend a billion, get 10 million shots. Ending lockdown is that important to the economy, easily
    Leon said:

Buy fucking Sputnik or Sinovac. Seriously.

Sputnik is really really good. Sinovac, maybe not, but not terrible either.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    RobD said:
    4 weeks

Well anyway, it looks like they can at least clear all the over 50s who are their voter base.

What do we think might be coming next? Domestic vaccine passports so the olds can go out and do everything whilst the rest of us are locked up for God knows how long? It's possible. I'd believe anything of this lot.

They aren't stopping the program, you know.

Has anybody told Hancock about the vaccine delivery issue as he is giving it the mega positive stuff.

If they haven't the journalists questions will
    Nah they will be asking about summer holidays ;-)

RobD said:
    4 weeks
    Has anyone, ever, used 4/52 to denote "4 weeks"? Very confusing.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    That is very disappointing about the vaccines. The day when we have ample supply is starting to feel like the day we have working fusion; its always just a little further away.

My understanding from here was that there were a multiplicity of vaccines that were to become available over the next month. Do we assume that there has been another scaling up problem with a major one of those?

Stands to reason doesn't it? 'OMFG we can't open everything when half the population isn't going to be vaccinated for months, panic panic panic, fourth wave, panic panic.'
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Too soon for such a conclusion, I feel. I think April 12th is still on. But if it isn't, I might join you on Desolation Row. I'm getting a bit taut now.
    maaarsh said:

Would be quite a step for Boris to step forward and claim vaccination has going badly and he had to change timetable.

The timetable is already extremely cautious - can't believe he's going to destroy his biggest governing success by using it to explain more lockdown.
    Going to be a problem for Boris though when over 50's can go out partying while those under 50 are unwilling to do so.
    Hancock is still talking like no issue. He must surely know.
  • Just texted my father, he says this is an expectation that supplies may be held up, not definite.

What the government is trying to avoid having people with only one jab for more than 10 weeks, or having to mismatch vaccines.

So they are reallocating current stocks to second jabs.

Keep calm and carry on.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

To late. Someone posted it on the last thread. :)

"You lost the news!!!"
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

One of the striking things is that AZN appear to have really struggled to produce their vaccine at scale. The original plan was to have 30 million doses ready to go last September- that's pretty clearly not happened.

(source: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-astrazenec-idUKKBN27K2GU )

I don't think we know what their current plans in the UK are, but in Europe, they're set to do 70 million doses in April-June. That's less than they originally intended to do for January-March;

https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1372154778063671298?s=20

Yes, it's a remarkable scientific and humanitarian achievement. But something seems significantly not right.
    One slender ray of hope. The letter says the contraction "could" last until end April.

COULD

Maybe they anticipate there might be more, but they want to under-promise and over-achieve?
    maaarsh said:

Even if the vaccines will knock deaths right down, half the population being completely unprotected will mean a massive panic by the modellers over a fourth wave knocking out the hospitals. We're basically fucked.
    eek said:

maaarsh said:

Going to be a problem for Boris though when over 50's can go out partying while those under 50 are unwilling to do so.
    Another reason why this won't change the timetable. No fucking way can oldies be let out and young people locked up when young people have already lost a year of their life to protect old people, and will now face a fucked economy whilst pensioners enjoy their triple lock.
  • That's the entire unlocking timetable after March 29th in the dustbin as well. We're all going to be stuck in fucking lockdown until - when? July? August? The end of the damned year?

Stands to reason doesn't it? 'OMFG we can't open everything when half the population isn't going to be vaccinated for months, panic panic panic, fourth wave, panic panic.'
    First vaccination is presently at 48%

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

"You lost the news!!!"
    I know someone posted it in the last thread - that was merely when the EU was threatening us.

Now something has occurred which has changed the vaccination plans - on the day the EU threatened us.

Coincidence - I think not (actually I do but that isn't as good a story).

Calm down - the rationale for opening up depends on vaccinating groups 1-9 and that hasn't changed, plus the effects of the lockdown on massively reducing the prevalence, and that has happened. I know you are prone to the black dog, and this is poor news, but there is no reason to suggest the opening up will have to change.
    Half of population unprotected = fourth wave = tsunami of new hospital cases (and even the deaths will spike, because the disease will eventually find out the vulnerable individuals who haven't been successfully protected.) The modellers will issue a panic forecast and the Government will stall.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

One of the striking things is that AZN appear to have really struggled to produce their vaccine at scale. The original plan was to have 30 million doses ready to go last September- that's pretty clearly not happened.

(source: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-astrazenec-idUKKBN27K2GU)

I don't think we know what their current plans in the UK are, but in Europe, they're set to do 70 million doses in April-June. That's less than they originally intended to do for January-March;

https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1372154778063671298?s=20

Yes, it's a remarkable scientific and humanitarian achievement. But something seems significantly not right.
    I agree - this seems like an AZN supply issue to me. However, the Indians don't seem to be having the same issues - or if they are, their production is on a scale that can still produce stratospheric numbers.
    maaarsh said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Another reason why this won't change the timetable. No fucking way can oldies be let out and young people locked up when young people have already lost a year of their life to protect old people, and will now face a fucked economy whilst pensioners enjoy their triple lock.
    But that's exactly what they will be doing if they change the timetable. Earlier today I expected to be booking my vaccination at the end of March for say April 15th so come April 26th I'd had my first vaccination.

Now that is no longer the case so come the end of April how willing will 40-50s be to go out and about.

Half, nearly half, there's no need for pedantry. The effect is the same. They'll be terrified that if they let us out there'll be middle-aged people coughing their lungs up in the hospitals (and, in due course, the remaining vulnerable individuals snuffing it as well.)

Half of population unprotected = fourth wave = tsunami of new hospital cases (and even the deaths will spike, because the disease will eventually find out the vulnerable individuals who haven't been successfully protected.) The modellers will issue a panic forecast and the Government will stall.
    No, look how slowly things evolved last summer when the numbers were crushed in the same way they are being done now. It would take a while for another wave to materialise, and this delay is for at most a few weeks.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Call down. Hancock was very bullish there (albeit giving it the “we need to double back and focus on groups 1-9 line”). We will hear from that horse’s mouth in a second at the press conference.

Actually the media will probably ask about the Formula One calendar or for a good recipe for pavlova, so we won’t.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

It doesn't really stack up that a slower April 1-11 is going to prevent the planned unlocking on April 12. The practical difference is marginal, even though it's annoying for us pre-geriatrics...
  • Yay!

Another football analogy by JVT.
    JVT seems to be wanting a pundit job on Sky Sports.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178

You alright there, Corporal Jones?
    eek said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

"You lost the news!!!"
    I know someone posted it in the last thread - that was merely when the EU was threatening us.

Now something has occurred which has changed the vaccination plans - on the day the EU threatened us.

I really really wonder. It is quite a hefty coincidence - they very same day? Perhaps the EU really have leaned on AZ and Pfizer and they have quietly agreed to redirect supplies.

Incendiary, if so. Also enraging, because the UK populace is eager for the vax and we have brilliant distribution, meanwhile the fucking EU sits on millions of unused jabs because they have successfully and stupidly trashed the vaccine in front of their own people

I would happily go to war with the EU, right now. Yeah, they'd win conventionally, but we could nuke them. First Strike on France, take them out, then move on
  • That's the entire unlocking timetable after March 29th in the dustbin as well. We're all going to be stuck in fucking lockdown until - when? July? August? The end of the damned year?

Half, nearly half, there's no need for pedantry. The effect is the same. They'll be terrified that if they let us out there'll be middle-aged people coughing their lungs up in the hospitals (and, in due course, the remaining vulnerable individuals snuffing it as well.)
    I rather think you need to calm down a wee bit
    Yokes said:

It's like SeanT minus the erudition.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Clam down dears! We all knew that there would need to be increases in supply once we were simultaneously doing 1st and second doses in tandem. And inevitably that created risks if scaling up couldn’t be maintained. It would be surprising if lockdown easing changed much when all the most vulnerable have been vaccinated.

Perhaps it could be a good thing! The rest of us can all get it under the 70+ shielding everyone else live as normal plan. With the bonus that the 70+ don’t need to shield because they’re all vaccinated.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    4 weeks
    I've seen it in medical records. Not elsewhere.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    Boringly on topic, the poll with 13 point gap (45 -32) and the poll with the 2 point gap (39-37) are both within the margin of error consistent with 42 - 35, which is perhaps about where the reality lies. Less to see here than some think.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

It must also mean their cost price was wrong if they were assuming much higher yields. They are much more financially constrained than other suppliers.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Does anyone know what the current NHS guidance is for the gap between the 1st and 2nd dose of Pfizer? I'm seeing conflicting stuff online.
    Leon said:

One slender ray of hope. The letter says the contraction "could" last until end April.

COULD

Maybe they anticipate there might be more, but they want to under-promise and over-achieve?

Or equally it 'could' go on until about July. We don't know.
  • JVT seems to be wanting a pundit job on Sky Sports.

https://twitter.com/eljmayes/status/1372235469216485383
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:
    4 weeks
    Ah, fair enough. Expected from a medic then. Still, why 4/52 when 4wk would suffice for a general audience.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited March 2021
    Yokes said:

The guy is obviously upset and anxious. You might have balls the size of cannonballs but cut people some slack who don't. We have had poster after poster saying how challenging they are finding this so, frankly, you can STFU.

Edit: same for everyone else.

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

It must also mean their cost price was wrong if they were assuming much higher yields. They are much more financially constrained than other suppliers.
    Surely that wouldn't be the issue? They would just go back to the UK Government and ask for more money - not like they would get turned down.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Leon said:

eek said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

It sounds like it

"You lost the news!!!"

I really really wonder. It is quite a hefty coincidence - they very same day? Perhaps the EU really have leaned on AZ and Pfizer and they have quietly agreed to redirect supplies.

Incendiary, if so. Also enraging, because the UK populace is eager for the vax and we have brilliant distribution, meanwhile the fucking EU sits on millions of unused jabs because they have successfully and stupidly trashed the vaccine in front of their own people

I would happily go to war with the EU, right now. Yeah, they'd win conventionally, but we could nuke them. First Strike on France, take them out, then move on
    There was a story in the guardian a week or so ago about an expected supply shortage in April - this isn’t a new story.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    JVT: "vaccines don't save lives if they are in the fridges"

The winning line.
    Right for once questions might be worth listening to....
  • RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:
    4 weeks
    Ah, fair enough. Expected from a medic then. Still, why 4/52 when 4wk would suffice for a general audience.
    It is to do with the fact that repeat prescriptions work on a 28 day cycle, so they don't like using months, they rather go for weeks, because in a year there's 12 months but 13 prescription cycles.
This discussion has been closed.