Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so to Sunak’s budget starting with an announcement that parts of the Treasury are moving to Darl

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2021 in General
And so to Sunak’s budget starting with an announcement that parts of the Treasury are moving to Darlington – politicalbetting.com

? SCOOP: The Treasury is going to Darlington. Rishi Sunak will announce in the Budget the northern town be home to the ministry’s first office outside of London.Officials fought hard for Leeds/Newcastle, but Sunak ultimately sided with red wall Tories.https://t.co/ICmHAjhheG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First like the bookies.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    According to my analysis, more than 90 per cent of the intubated, most seriously ill patients always had a migrant background,' he said.

'We agreed among ourselves that we should describe these people as 'patients with communications barriers'. We don't seem to be getting through to them.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9320323/Coronavirus-Germany-90-severely-ill-patients-migrant-background.html

Its a man locally known as Dave again...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2021
    Mane I'm tuning into PMQs for the first time in ages, Starmer really is so awful. He's really giving softball questions to Boris about foreign aid.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    On topic

Yippee - trouble is people will now know why I like where I live - hint our communication links are better than almost anywhere else.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    What bet Boris immediately references Sturgeon when he gets an SNP question?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    MaxPB said:

Mane I'm tuning into PMQs for the first time in ages, Starmer really is so awful. He's really giving softball questions to Boris about foreign aid.

Hah me too, his questioning at the start of the pandemic was far better. Just a poor set of questions today. More difficult job I guess when it's all going a bit better.
  • Options
    Yemen Questions
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I always forget, does he respond to Dishy Rishi later or is it the invisible womxn?
  • Options
    Fucking hell just shut the fuck about Yemen. No one gives a flying fuck about it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

MaxPB said:

I always forget, does he respond to Dishy Rishi later or is it the invisible womxn?
    Starmer.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Starmer. Dodds will respond to the autumn/spring statements.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    MaxPB said:

Fucking hell just shut the fuck about Yemen. No one gives a flying fuck about it.

It's been playing big on the BBC.

'nuff said.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited March 2021

MaxPB said:

Starmer.

I must admit I have never understood why this is the case but traditionally the LotO responds to the Chancellor rather than the Shadow Chancellor
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Starmer. Dodds will respond to the autumn/spring statements.
    The response will be the same....too slow, i called for this already, not enough money being spent....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's been playing big on the BBC.

'nuff said.
    Has it? I wouldn't know as since Covid became the only story I've not watched the news in months.
  • Options

Jesus - Shagger pointing out that Starmer isn't raising "the issues of the hour" but instead is banging on about Yemen.

Nice dig from Mr Speaker after Boris refers to the budget - "I think we already know most of it"

I don't like that. PM is there to answer the questions put to him whether he thinks they are the right ones or not.
    That's true, but it's a standard PM dodge unfortunately.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    For someone who used to be a lawyer Sturgeon sounds surprisingly heavy footed

Salmond was much slicker than this
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

According to my analysis, more than 90 per cent of the intubated, most seriously ill patients always had a migrant background,' he said.

'We agreed among ourselves that we should describe these people as 'patients with communications barriers'. We don't seem to be getting through to them.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9320323/Coronavirus-Germany-90-severely-ill-patients-migrant-background.html

90% is an extraordinary statistic
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Hah me too, his questioning at the start of the pandemic was far better. Just a poor set of questions today. More difficult job I guess when it's all going a bit better.
    Also when you don't really have a coherent alternative to propose.
  • Options

Salmond was on the offensive, a wronged man with a grievance. Sturgeon is playing defense, a woman with questions to evade. Her solitary aim is survival
  • Options

She only worked as a solicitor for 3-4 years, before a life in politics, so not really long enough to develop the lawyerly skills that we all hate so much.
  • Options
    I'm seriously worried about corporate taxes rising. If the chancellor makes this shirt sighted move it's going to hurt the economy in the long term. Ignore the IFS, ignore "economists" and lower it to 15% and introduce gigantic or unlimited R&D and capital investment allowances.

We need to grow our way out of this, not push up taxes.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

She was a solicitor not an advocate. There's a reason people choose one side of the profession or another.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    MaxPB said:

bad guys in Top Gun?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

I am not sure it really is 90%, it sounds more finger in the air counting. More that again, Germany can't call a spade a spade (hope that isnt racist), even when it is causing them trouble.

Where as here, it does seem the overt recording and push on targeting ethnic minority groups for extra push during the vaccine roll out is seeing results of increasing the uptake.
  • Options

Sturgeon having to wade through the treacle of her past actions and pronouncements.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247
    Has Boris really just discovered what the N in SNP stands for?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Oh she is on the ropes here
  • Options

Leon said:

I am not sure it really is 90%, it sounds more finger in the air counting. More that again, Germany can't call a spade a spade (hope that isnt racist), even when it is causing them trouble.
    If it is 90% I would seriously wonder if there is some genetic explanation.
  • Options
    Ode to the Chancellor this pre-Budget afternoon:

His name is Sunak
    Oh, Rishi Sunak
    Please make me happy
    This Budget Day.

Your coke addiction:
    A sad affliction
    Please don't take
    My higher-rate pension tax relief
    Away.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    Leon said:

I just clicked on that. What a horrible website. Things flashing, adverts coming in from the side, little videos you need to swap away like persistent wasps. Horrible.

Anyway, the story - I wonder what the equivalent figure is here? Certainly last summer it appeared that the geography of positive tests were highly correlated with percentages of South Asian communities. Can't be anything like 90%, though?
  • Options
    Harry Dunn -- tragic but HMG would do better to take concrete measures like stopping US personnel importing left-hand-drive cars.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

MaxPB said:

It's the greatest humanitarian crisis in our world! As PM putdowns of Opposition Leaders at #PMQs go, this is among the worst.

It also shows what a shallow person you are
    He is right though. It might be the greatest humanitarian crisis in our world but most people have got more pressing matters to worry about at home.
  • Options

Harry Dunn -- tragic but HMG would do better to take concrete measures like stopping US personnel importing left-hand-drive cars.

Or at least, never drive them off base.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's the greatest humanitarian crisis in our world! As PM putdowns of Opposition Leaders at #PMQs go, this is among the worst.

No it isn't. The greatest humanitarian crisis in in China where the state is exterminating Uighur people in concentration camps by forcible insemination of women by rape.

Honestly, everything else pales in comparison.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

She was a solicitor not an advocate. There's a reason people choose one side of the profession or another.
    They didn't go to public school?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Er, no offense Mike, but I think COVID, which has killed millions, and caused the greatest global economic and social emergency since World War 2, is a bigger humanitarian crisis than Yemen.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No it isn't. The greatest humanitarian crisis in in China where the state is exterminating Uighur people in concentration camps by forcible insemination of women by rape.

This one is impacted directly by a UK government decision. Some conservatives have been against that, I think it was probably worth raising, but it sounds like he devoted too many questions to it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Or at least, never drive them off base.
    Do all military bases in foreign lands drive on 'their own' side? Do British bases in Germany drive on the left?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

His name is Sunak
    Oh, Rishi Sunak
    Please make me happy
    This Budget Day.

Your coke addiction:
    A sad affliction
    Please don't take
    Away.

As an unemployed six litres a week man, I'd rather have Rishi exempt Coke from the sugar tax, a bit like the way budgets traditionally exempted Scotch when they ramped up duties on fags and booze.
  • Options
    Sturgeon struggling here
  • Options
    Deputy Convenor is nailing Sturgeon
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Er, no offense Mike, but I think COVID, which has killed millions, and caused the greatest global economic and social emergency since World War 2, is a bigger humanitarian crisis than Yemen.
    There's also the war in the Congo, which you never hear about in the West, but has killed millions over the last couple of decades.

But Mike is right that Yemen is a huge humanitarian tragedy, even if there are arguably bigger ones out there.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You seem an uncaring very selfish person.
    Other people do care about the terrible situation there.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

There's also the war in the Congo, which you never hear about in the West, but has killed millions over the last couple of decades.

But Mike is right that Yemen is a huge humanitarian tragedy, even if there are arguably bigger ones out there.
    And yet if you ask the voters they'll say "where's Yemen?". Labour is completely out of touch.
  • Options
    Turns on Sky, two ladies arguing among selves for 5 minutes, not questioning Sturgeon.
  • Options
    And the convenor saves Sturgeon .... for now
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Endillion said:

His name is Sunak
    Oh, Rishi Sunak
    Please make me happy
    This Budget Day.

Your coke addiction:
    A sad affliction
    Please don't take
    Away.

As an unemployed six litres a week man, I'd rather have Rishi exempt Coke from the sugar tax, a bit like the way budgets traditionally exempted Scotch when they ramped up duties on fags and booze.
    I'd do your body a favour and come off it. It's weakening your bones from the inside. Have a piece of fruit every time you get a sugar craving - that's actually what your body is asking for.
  • Options
    Floater said:

And the convenor saves Sturgeon .... for now

That was quite a moment. Very bad for Sturgeon
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Will be interesting to see how many civil servants, and to what level, this Northern Treasury will consist of.
    I suspect a number of relatively junior positions with their managers shuttling back and forth to take their orders from Whitehall.
    And living and spending in Northallerton or even Barnard Castle.
    Hope not. But expect so.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Which side are we on in Yemen, the Hadis or the Houthis ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

The war in Yemen has killed a quarter of a million. The pandemic has killed ten times that but globally. The difference is the fact that the war has a concentrated death toll in one country that is also suffering the pandemic's effects. It is, therefore, appropriate to ask questions about reducing aid there.
  • Options
    So how much more of the magic money forest gets cut down....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which side are we on in Yemen, the Haddis or the Houthis ?

Whichever side wants to pay more money for our weapons, at a guess.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Yemen is a terrible war in a fascinating country. Its misfortune is to be the Belgium of our times, the battleground for two strands of Islam fighting it out through Saudi and Iran and their proxies.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I’m not minimizing Yemen, it’s hideous. But Covid-19 dwarfs everything by an order of magnitude
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

I'm seriously worried about corporate taxes rising. If the chancellor makes this shirt sighted move it's going to hurt the economy in the long term. Ignore the IFS, ignore "economists" and lower it to 15% and introduce gigantic or unlimited R&D and capital investment allowances.

We need to grow our way out of this, not push up taxes.

100% agreed.

Tax cuts not tax rises please Rishi!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    MaxPB said:

You're mistaken. Loads of people care about impending mass starvation and a long-running war that we continue to support with weapon exports after even the US has withdrawn its backing. It was, after all, one of the earliest actions taken by Biden. You shouldn't assume that everyone is preoccupied with BTL landlords or whatever, just because you mau be.

Are most people worried about it? No, not least as it gets little media coverage. But objectively it's much more important than, say, whether Sunak extends the stamp duty holiday, because hundreds of thousands of lives are at risk.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whichever side is backed by the Saudis rather than the Iranians, I think?
  • Options
    Don't be honest lol, last thing we need :D
  • Options

So how much more of the magic money forest gets cut down....

Covid19 is the biggest crisis in the entire world since World War Two.

Imagine if people were talking about the "magic money forest" in World War Two.

We need to grow back from this. A year or two is the time to think about tax rises, not now, tax cuts now.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

The war in Yemen has killed a quarter of a million. The pandemic has killed ten times that but globally. The difference is the fact that the war has a concentrated death toll in one country that is also suffering the pandemic's effects. It is, therefore, appropriate to ask questions about reducing aid there.
    Why should the UK be the only country supplying aid there?

We'll still be the leading aid donor there. Other countries need to step up to the plate too.
  • Options
    Like all this use of "percent", saves on mentions of million and billion
  • Options
    Ridiculously pessimistic OBR forecast growth figures. Don't believe them for a second.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

It's obviously in the eye of the beholder. Salmond to me looked and sounded grubby. If Gannex raincoats still existed I'd suggest he modelled them. Nicola by contrast seemed sharp and to me believable. I say that as someone who used to be a fan of Salmond
  • Options
    If you're on furlough in August, time to look for another job tbh
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

We'll still be the leading aid donor there. Other countries need to step up to the plate too.
    That's a legitimate question to ask. Another legitimate question is why we shouldn't step up to the plate to make up for said deficiency elsewhere.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

That's a legitimate question to ask. Another legitimate question is why we shouldn't step up to the plate to make up for said deficiency elsewhere.
    Because we're already at the plate. Alone.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Simply, why should we?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Because we're already at the plate. Alone.
    That's not true. We may be one of (perhaps the) biggest donor but other countries and the EU have made contributions. You have a point but you weaken it by over-egging it.
  • Options

Ridiculously pessimistic OBR forecast growth figures. Don't believe them for a second.

Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.

Twas always the best idea.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Whichever side is backed by the Saudis rather than the Iranians, I think?
    Don't take sides. Just pull a sadface and say " ... but suffering"
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Someone watched that Danish submarine murder doc.
  • Options
    The Houthis slogan appears to be "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

Oh. I get it now!
  • Options
    eek said:

4% growth this year and 1.6% in 2023 is really the worst possible.

Setting the floor low to clear it easily in future years it seems.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Will be interesting to see how many civil servants, and to what level, this Northern Treasury will consist of.
    I suspect a number of relatively junior positions with their managers shuttling back and forth to take their orders from Whitehall.
    Hope not. But expect so.

Plenty of nice places on the way to Northallerton but far fewer heading west towards Barnie.

• Options
    Hmm, not sure about increasing the minimum wage in this environment. Hospitality is going to struggle as it is, higher wages will make that tougher.
  • Options
    Won't make major headlines but lifetime thalidomide commitment is good, incredible no Chancellor had done that sooner. It was never realistic it would be pulled so be honest and sign it off.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The Treasury in Darlington? Great choice.

Hartlepool 's holding out for the Home Office. Pritti can bring back hanging in a historical setting.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, not sure about increasing the minimum wage in this environment. Hospitality is going to struggle as it is, higher wages will make that tougher.

Indeed, we're almost certainly in the opposite of the situation where I think it should go up (high immigration and low unemployment).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think that's a smaller change than was supposed to be made.

The plan was to hit £10 sooner rather than latter but I'll need to hunt for the details.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    MaxPB said:

Won't someone not think of the children.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The environment is 2 months before an unusually high number of elections. Probably played a part.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MaxPB said:

Presumably the calculation is that the benefit to the great mass of people subsisting on minimum wage crapjobs outweighs the negative consequences for the smaller number who end up being laid off as a consequence?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Hartlepool 's holding out for the Home Office. Pritti can bring back hanging in a historical setting.

That's it for the Tees Valley. Nowhere else has the communication links required.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Remember those election campaigns when the question was
    "How will you pay for it all?"
    Nah. Me neither.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

eek said:

Lockdown supporter in 'refusal to believe the shattering effects of lockdown' shock.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Presumably the calculation is that the benefit to the great mass of people subsisting on minimum wage crapjobs outweighs the negative consequences for the smaller number who end up being laid off as a consequence?
    Also if 20p an hour or £7 a week is significantly important to a business - it's not that profitable anyway...
  • Options
    Help to pump up the housing market even more lol
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    And the tax rises?
  • Options
    Mortgage guarantee scheme. I'd like to see the detail of it.

Now we get to the tax rises. Feel like this is going to be horrific.
  • Options

eek said:

Lockdown supporter in 'refusal to believe the shattering effects of lockdown' shock.
    Lockdown is ending. We're not going to be in lockdown in 2023.

So its being out of lockdown we're talking about, not being in lockdown. 🙄
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    dixiedean said:

Hope not. But expect so.

I once worked for a civil service organisation that was relocated out of the South East.

The senior managers were moved first, so that they could buy the best houses before prices had increased too much. Then everyone else was moved, and so plenty of them had to buy the houses they could afford now that they were doing so after the market had closed the gap with where they were relocating from.

It did at least have the advantage of minimising the loss of senior managers, so the organisation didn't suffer from the move - as I've heard of happening with other relocations.
  • Options
    How does a mortgage guarantee work? If house prices fall and the bank dips out on a repossession, the tax payer makes up the difference?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

If only he'd announce Street is being turned in to a big Poundland just for you
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    MaxPB said:

Mortgage guarantee scheme. I'd like to see the detail of it.

Now we get to the tax rises. Feel like this is going to be horrific.

Agreed. Its been rather generous so far.....
This discussion has been closed.