Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As expected Johnson is taking a cautious approach but at least there’s an end in sight – politicalbe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageAs expected Johnson is taking a cautious approach but at least there’s an end in sight – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,759
    Cannot believe we already have people canvassing for our air industry. Will we never learn?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited February 2021
    Second. Right on cue, phone call from my sister: "I reckon we can meet up for Mother's Day now, everyone will be doing it."

:(
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Well done OHG. That was fast.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Mid December to mid April, this lockdown has been an absolute eternity. Some areas even longer.
  • And now, the end is near
    And so I face, the final curtain
    It's a sad, sad day when I have to agree with anything that that prat Blackford says but as for May, words just fail me, they really do.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    FPT

Cases up 900 from a week ago. The tide has unfortunately turned on the day, almost the moment in fact, that easing of lockdown was announced. The unanswered question is whether this turnaround was caused by the very wintery weather or something else. One hopes it is the former but fears the latter.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    From the previous thread.

Lots of man love ❤️ for Boris, for his roadmap and for his luxuriant hair on PB this afternoon. Some positive swooning. Bless.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    It is very slow, to my mind, but at least it offers a frame for optimism, however distant.

One question not asked, or answered, is: what if the data gets dramatically and unexpectedly better? This is possible, as we vaccinate (hopefully faster than today).

Hospitalisations may fall away entirely by April. Waiting til June, to open up fully, in that situation, seems daft and pointless. Is HMG gonna stick to this framework whatever?
  • Well that's the April trip to L'Enclume (already postponed from November) postponed again.
  • DavidL said:

It's a sad, sad day when I have to agree with anything that that prat Blackford says but as for May, words just fail me, they really do.

I long thought she was bloody useless but that was flabbergasting even for me.
  • From the previous thread.

Lots of man love ❤️ for Boris, for his roadmap and for his luxuriant hair on PB this afternoon. Some positive swooning. Bless.

I believe credit were credit is due and this pathway is very responsible and timely

However, I do not swoon over any politician
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

And now, the end is near

Man, that was uncanny. I thought Frank Sinatra was live on the thread!
    AlistairM said:

FPT

Cases up 900 from a week ago. The tide has unfortunately turned on the day, almost the moment in fact, that easing of lockdown was announced. The unanswered question is whether this turnaround was caused by the very wintery weather or something else. One hopes it is the former but fears the latter.

Do cases matter, that much?

Hospitalisations are surely the key. They are 20% down on the week. The fall is slowing, but still impressive. As the vaccines impact, they should fall faster, once again
  • DavidL said:

She is so bitter maybe time to move upstairs
    Gyms: from 12 April "open for use individually or within household groups". What does this mean?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

Hospitalisations are surely the key. They are 20% down on the week. The fall is slowing, but still impressive. As the vaccines impact, they should fall faster, once again
    We'll have to wait 2 weeks or so (the infection to potential hospitalisation lag) to really know if case numbers have started to decouple from hospitalisations, surely?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Stocky said:

Gyms: from 12 April "open for use individually or within household groups". What does this mean?

No aerobics/spin classes, at a guess.
  • Leon said:

It is very slow, to my mind, but at least it offers a frame for optimism, however distant.

One question not asked, or answered, is: what if the data gets dramatically and unexpectedly better? This is possible, as we vaccinate (hopefully faster than today).

Hospitalisations may fall away entirely by April. Waiting til June, to open up fully, in that situation, seems daft and pointless. Is HMG gonna stick to this framework whatever?

In practice, I'm sure they wouldn't stick to it if things do turn out much better than expected. Boris is right, though, that it's better to proceed slowly than risk having to introduce yet another panic lockdown.
  • DavidL said:

Its ridiculous that upstairs is used as a dumping for hasbeens but yes if that gets her out so be it.
  • Leon said:

Intransigence in dealing with the exit pathway would be more than foolish
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,120
    Stocky said:

I presume you can go with your household mate eg partner, child etc. but not with someone from outside your household. That's 1 to a few people in a gym at any one time. Isn't it?
  • Stocky said:

No mixing inside, keep your distance from others?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Quickly reading through, it looks like a sensible approach, with opportunity to over-deliver if cases continue falling and vaccines get into arms faster than expected.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

DavidL said:

What did she say/ask?
    21 June removal of all legal limits is good news indeed.
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

No aerobics/spin classes, at a guess.
    And no personal trainers indoors - people who might closely meet a dozen different people a day.
  • Stocky said:

Posh people (Tories) have their own home gyms?

Leon said:

In practice, I'm sure they wouldn't stick to it if things do turn out much better than expected. Boris is right, though, that it's better to proceed slowly than risk having to introduce yet another panic lockdown.
    Even there he left the door open on local lockdowns if new variants raise their head. No choice in accepting this.
  • And now, the end is near

Man, that was uncanny. I thought Frank Sinatra was live on the thread!
    He did it his way!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

What thread were you reading?
    Stocky said:

21st June <<at the earliest>> though. It's not a firm commitment.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Dear God, to get through this I'm going to have to take up golf, aren't I?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Stocky said:

It looks like "no classes yet" imo.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

And bloody well deserved too. We can all quibble over the exact speed of the unlocking, but we're now in a position to escape this thing faster than almost all countries that are not led by a certain Boris Johnson.
    You forget how totally crap Corbyn was. I think its a blessing really.
  • Corbyn acting like a nob again.

Some things don't change! :lol:

Good response from Boris, its completely ridiculous.

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

We'll have to wait 2 weeks or so (the infection to potential hospitalisation lag) to really know if case numbers have started to decouple from hospitalisations, surely?
    Indeed.

All I am saying is that hospitalisations are the key metric - as they always have been: the grave threat of Covid is its ability to crush a health system, not necessarily its infectivity or lethality (though these are, of course, all related).

We should remain focussed on that. If, God forbid, hospitalisations go up, once again, then.... that would be grim.

Cases rising is not great news, but it is not a horror show. It could simply be younger cohorts just thinking Fuck it, the oldies are getting vaxxed, they're all safe, I want to go out/have a sex life, and thereby catching the bug without getting it badly.

DavidL said:

You looking for a hit man? Oh, I see....
  • tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

What did she say/ask?
    Complaining about no commitments on international travel before the April review.
    Was Jim Shannon John Cole in an earlier life? That was uncanny.

Or tennis!
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    Stocky said:

21st June "at the earliest".

Freedom is always four months away...
    edited February 2021
    Re: all retail opening from 12 April, did he say whether masks would be compulsory?

DavidL said:

Cannot believe we already have people canvassing for our air industry. Will we never learn?

Prat & Witless.
    They’re doing a pretty good job of grounding themselves at the moment!

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Yes, all dates are given "at the earliest".
  • Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Freedom being a complete lifting of all distancing laws.

That's a lot quicker than it could have been given millions won't have been vaccinated by then, I might not be still by that date but good not to wait for everyone to be done.
  • From the previous thread.

And bloody well deserved too. We can all quibble over the exact speed of the unlocking, but we're now in a position to escape this thing faster than almost all countries that are not led by a certain Boris Johnson.
    Before quibbling over the exact speed of the unlocking, you ought to take off your hat and bow your head for the tens of thousands killed by Boris Johnson's negligence the global pandemic to date.
    FTFY. You're so bitter.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    It does set the government a good target of getting every adult a first jab by May 31st, if June 21st is the full reopening. It's a really good target date to have in mind as well given the new supply of Moderna and Novavax we're getting in April.

Honestly I think the government has effectively set the 31st of May as an unofficial deadline to get all adults their first doses. We've brought the other target forwards by two weeks so it means there are 6 weeks, effectively, to get all under 50s their first doses. That's around 4m first doses per week, it is 100% possible to do that.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Which everyone will edit out.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847

I believe credit were credit is due and this pathway is very responsible and timely

But on your trajectory - "should go and go now" to "long may he reign" - you may soon be in that condition over the Blonde Bomber.
    So - all normal by the summer solstice. I think I might actually tick off the bucket list item and do Stonehenge this year. It will have some very considerable significance, seeing that sunrise....

So - all normal by the summer solstice. I think I might actually tick off the bucket list item and do Stonehenge this year. It will have some very considerable significance, seeing that sunrise....

It'll be cloudy.
    Leon said:

Or tennis!
    Since it's Devon - surfing.
  • Leon said:

Or tennis!
    Tennis is at least fast-moving. Cricket, on the other hand, has to be the most boring "sport" on the entire planet, save for golf, natch.
    MattW said:

Stocky said:

It looks like "no classes yet" imo.
    Possibly also "no personal trainners in gyms".
    edited February 2021
    dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Well yes but given how well the vaccination programme is going and the near certainty that the figures that matter (hospitalisations/deaths) will continue to fall I`d put money on those dates being adhered to.
    Stocky said:

Re: all retail opening from 12 April, did he say whether masks would be compulsory?

Surely, by then we'll be so desperate to buy stuff, we won't give a shit if we have to wear a full haz-mat suit?
  • kinabalu said:

But on your trajectory - "should go and go now" to "long may he reign" - you may soon be in that condition over the Blonde Bomber.

When did I say long may he reign

Though since the new year and Cummings going Boris has performed much better
    Leon said:

Ursula covering herself in glory, again

The stuff about legal action against AZ was all bollocks. The EU knew this, yet still made threats. Remarkable.

"Brussels last month plunged itself into the centre of an extraordinary row with AstraZeneca over jab supply shortages. The bloc furiously released a redacted version of its contract with the company amid threats of legal action.

"But a full version of the contract has been published by Italian broadcaster RAI which shows the European Commission and member states waived the right to sue the pharmaceutical giant over any delivery delays."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu-lawsuit-threats-dismantled-as-astrazeneca-contract-shows-brussels-cant-sue-over-jab/ar-BB1dSIdW?ocid=st

LOL, that was the bit they redacted!! What utter idiots.
    Leon said:

The stuff about legal action against AZ was all bollocks. The EU knew this, yet still made threats. Remarkable.

"Brussels last month plunged itself into the centre of an extraordinary row with AstraZeneca over jab supply shortages. The bloc furiously released a redacted version of its contract with the company amid threats of legal action.

"But a full version of the contract has been published by Italian broadcaster RAI which shows the European Commission and member states waived the right to sue the pharmaceutical giant over any delivery delays."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu-lawsuit-threats-dismantled-as-astrazeneca-contract-shows-brussels-cant-sue-over-jab/ar-BB1dSIdW?ocid=st

That is just astonishing. No doubt there will be a vote of no confidence in the relevant democratic body after she has been properly held to account by answering all the relevant questions.
    What about lap-dancing clubs? Is there a Step for that?
    Artist said:

Mid December to mid April, this lockdown has been an absolute eternity. Some areas even longer.

September 18 for us. Past 5 months now. :(

Before quibbling over the exact speed of the unlocking, you ought to take off your hat and bow your head for the tens of thousands killed by Boris Johnson's negligence to date.
    Ah, no doubt you'll also be calling for the show trials of Merkel, Macron, Sánchez, and Conte then, who have likewise murdered over 300,000 of their own citizens by not making them magically and instantaneously immune to a novel coronavirus.

But of course you'll never do that, will you? Not in a million years.
    Closer to home, don’t forget Sturgeon and Drakeford.
    MaxPB said:

It does set the government a good target of getting every adult a first jab by May 31st, if June 21st is the full reopening. It's a really good target date to have in mind as well given the new supply of Moderna and Novavax we're getting in April.

Honestly I think the government has effectively set the 31st of May as an unofficial deadline to get all adults their first doses. We've brought the other target forwards by two weeks so it means there are 6 weeks, effectively, to get all under 50s their first doses. That's around 4m first doses per week, it is 100% possible to do that.

What are you thoughts on the lamentable vaccination stats today? The expected supply bottleneck (anticipated a few days ago) or something more sinister?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    AlistairM said:

FPT

I have a suspicion that some of this is the surge testing finding more asymptomatic cases. Or maybe I am just hoping its that.
  • Stocky said:

'Organised indoor adult sport', presumably.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Stocky said:

''....asking for a friend....''
    RobD said:

It'll be cloudy.
    Thank you, Buzz Killa...
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

That is just astonishing. No doubt there will be a vote of no confidence in the relevant democratic body after she has been properly held to account by answering all the relevant questions.
    I want some of what he's smoking.
    dixiedean said:

Artist said:

September 18 for us. Past 5 months now. :(
    I had a nice stroll through Morpeth yesterday. Carlisle Park was full of clearly multiple households sitting and chatting outside. I don't blame them but it does make a mockery of the "you can have the rule of 6 outside come April".
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Astra Zeneca might have a good case for suing the European Commission, rather than the other way round
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

Anazabobajobbbbbaaa is going to be pissed.

@Francis

I'm actually reasonably happy with it. Much better than I feared.

Beer gardens on 12 April instead of 4 April as I predicted. That's still in the school Easter holidays so we can take a week off.

I was out by just 8 days, and win my sportsman's bet with @contrarian by an absolute mile (although I'm sure he is happy to lose it!!)
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Leon said:

Or tennis!
    Tennis is at least fast-moving. Cricket, on the other hand, has to be the most boring "sport" on the entire planet, save for golf, natch.
    Can't agree with this - have you played the game? Love a bit of cricket.
    Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

All good, as long as the hospitalisations carry on falling in the context of rising/stalling cases, and that should be the expectation as the vaccines roll out. Still slightly unnerved that nothing should have changed in the nation, so why has the case fall stopped? I wonder if some of the vaccinated have started to behave differently?
    Stocky said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Well yes but given how well the vaccination programme is going and the near certainty that the figures that matter (hospitalisations/deaths) will continue to fall I`d put money on those dates being adhered to.
    Not too much I hope. Not cos I disagree with you. But purely that this virus has been so brutal, it seems unwise for my mental health to get my hopes up so high.
    edited February 2021
    https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/match/2024461--england-vs-scotland/

Surely they will relax the rules for this? Even if only double-jabbers can buy tickets?

Currently, the game misses freedom day by three days.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Stocky said:

21st June <<at the earliest>> though. It's not a firm commitment.
    To be fair if vaccinations work as well as they seem to we might be able to go a little faster - but small steps first
    RobD said:

It'll be cloudy.
    The Welsh circle documentary about where the blue stones from Stonehenge came from was fascinating. Well worth a watch for those who haven't seen it.

• Anazabobajobbbbbaaa is going to be pissed.

@Francis

I'm actually reasonably happy with it. Much better than I feared.

Beer gardens on 12 April instead of 4 April as I predicted. That's still in the school Easter holidays so we can take a week off.

I was out by just 8 days, and win my sportsman's bet with @contrarian by an absolute mile (although I'm sure he is happy to lose it!!)

I was out on my forecast for inside pubs/restaurants by 2 weeks - I said 3 May - but I am reasonably happy with that. We do now have a clear and coherent plan to go forward.
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Astra Zeneca might have a good case for suing the European Commission, rather than the other way round
    Given that the EU unilaterally published a confidential document when complaining about the delivery schedule, redacting the bit that says they’re not allowed to complain about the delivery schedule, you may have a point.
    dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Not too much I hope. Not cos I disagree with you. But purely that this virus has been so brutal, it seems unwise for my mental health to get my hopes up so high.
    My daughters are delighted they are going back to school 8 March. Great to see them smiling. That`s the biggest plus today for us.

Also, they can look forward to outdoor house parties from 17 May (30 people limit).

Al we need is some weather.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182

Stocky said:

Surely, by then we'll be so desperate to buy stuff, we won't give a shit if we have to wear a full haz-mat suit?
    I have needed new glasses and a new phone (which switches itself off several times a day) since last summer. But I'll wait until I don't have to wear a mask until I get them.

I find wearing masks far more unpleasant than not having stuff. Not as unpleasant as not having food, of course, but I'm not going to go shopping for clothes until I can do so without having to wear a mask.
    I don't know how representative this opinion is.

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

All good, as long as the hospitalisations carry on falling in the context of rising/stalling cases, and that should be the expectation as the vaccines roll out. Still slightly unnerved that nothing should have changed in the nation, so why has the case fall stopped? I wonder if some of the vaccinated have started to behave differently?
    Lockdown is without a doubt on its way out. Compliance is no where near what it was. Quite a few of my fellow students have made their way back to their student houses as well, obviously against the rules. The way they see it is that they're paying for them, why can't they use them? I don't blame them.
    Stocky said:

My missus isn't too bothered about wearing a mask, but says they have to let you try on the clothes, otherwise what's the point going shopping? Probably more detail in the document itself.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

What are you thoughts on the lamentable vaccination stats today? The expected supply bottleneck (anticipated a few days ago) or something more sinister?
    As drama queen I can see why you think its sinister but reality is this is the expected supply bottleneck attached to the fact as you move to a different target group you need to wait for them to receive the appropriate communication (text, email, letter) and start booking appointments.

AlistairM said:

FPT

I have a suspicion that some of this is the surge testing finding more asymptomatic cases. Or maybe I am just hoping its that.
    Do cases matter that much now? Vaccinations will slash illness. Who cares if you get covid if it's a miles sniffle or less?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Did I miss the post where Meeks castigated the Europeans for dissing vaccines which turn out to even more effective than hoped for?

Nope, thought not.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,721
    Stocky said:

I'm sure some will think it a Tragedy, but I didn't think that Steps had fallen so far that they were playing lap-dancing clubs...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Hmm perhaps they should push back Ascot by a week...

AlistairM said:

FPT

Do cases matter that much now? Vaccinations will slash illness. Who cares if you get covid if it's a miles sniffle or less?
    By that metric, why did Boris go on about rigorous testing regimes for theatres etc? Surely if everyone's vaccinated, and the vaccines are still working, it shouldn't matter if there's COVID circulating?
This discussion has been closed.