Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Leader and government approval ratings and voting intention as a guide to general election results –

123457»

Comments

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Fall of Singapore 1941, article from a different perspective - 1940 changes the planners' assumptions.

https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/fall-singapore-maritime-perspective/

• tame the tapir and tutor the toad, but torment not the titmouse!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited February 2021

Andy_JS said:

Birmingham has to be the best tourist attraction in the UK.

You feeling ok mate?
    I honestly believe it is. Not joking.
  • Russia on Thursday slapped back at European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen over public remarks that raised doubts about the Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine.

In a statement, the Russian embassy in Brussels said von der Leyen's comments were "either an effort to politicize the issue in an unsubstantiated and, indeed, deplorable way, or indicates an inadequate level of awareness of the top-level official."

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-hits-back-at-von-der-leyen-over-sputnik-jab/
  • LONDON — Boris Johnson urged the G7 to use its “collective ingenuity” to cut the time taken to develop new coronavirus vaccines by two-thirds.

The British prime minister will on Friday chair the first G7 leaders’ meeting during the U.K.’s presidency of the group of advanced economies.

Coronavirus vaccines developed last year required about 300 days of work, but Johnson wants this time to be reduced to 100 days, as recommended by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-promises-to-slash-development-of-new-covid-coronavirus-vaccines-ahead-of-g7-summit/
  • Since it's a quiet night, may I ask a question?

Had the Pfizer jab two weeks ago. Been feeling terribly tired recently. Is it a side-effect, or am I just getting old?

I haven't been jabbed yet but after last year's flu shot I felt distinctly ropey about 10 days later.....
    Congratulations to the Australian government on taking on Facebook, (as well as China). Lets hope others follow suit.
  • Nigelb said:
    Brave new ferret!
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1362509981346635781

Now, about that "shucks, I was just being a good dad" line
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

dixiedean said:

That makes sense in that the NHS know your age, but not if you are a key worker. Simple is sometimes the best way.
    Yep.
    Age. Pre-existing conditions. Whether you work for them. These are the things the NHS knows.
    My partner, in Group 2, as a key worker, was delayed till today by only having been recently added to that group. Having to contact her GP. And then having to furnish proof.
    And, as her professional body membership had only just been renewed, waiting for it to arrive in the post.
    All this snarls the system.
    Health and care workers can book themselves in on the NHS website.
    That facility only became available yesterday for my partner's professional body. But, yes, they can.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,559

Since it's a quiet night, may I ask a question?

Had the Pfizer jab two weeks ago. Been feeling terribly tired recently. Is it a side-effect, or am I just getting old?

I haven't been jabbed yet but after last year's flu shot I felt distinctly ropey about 10 days later.....
    Yes, the immune system ramping up can take it out of you, sometimes a lot. And everyone reacts differently.
  • rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Just one dose of either the Oxford or Pfizer vaccines appears to cut Covid transmissions and infections by two-thirds according to the first "real world data" examining their impact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/18/exclusive-covid-jabs-data-can-pave-way-freedom/

Careful guys, you will be catching my optimism soon :smile:

Think about that: this means that as we keep vaccinating, we could well see CV19 disappear from the UK - to all intents and purposes - in just six to ten weeks.
    Unfortunately nobody appears to have told SAGE judging by comments about massive surges in July and lockdown needed until god knows when in the late summer or autumn.

Personally, I suspect the overall public consensus which has held pretty well so far will collapse once it is clear there has been sufficient vaccination to protect the vulnerable and stop hospitals breaking down. Even if they keep the pubs shut people will be meeting at each others houses.

Can't see any kind of serious lockdown lasting beyond Easter to be honest.
    It's hard to tell. Most of the population has been remarkably compliant so far (although I recall reading that Burnham's deputy in charge of policing in Manchester has said that there are increasing numbers of house parties being held, and that people are getting more confrontational with the police as well.) There are also still a lot of scared people out there, and many authoritarian types who are enjoying the pandemic because it gives them the opportunity to look down their noses at people who are suffering through all of this and condemn them if they stray from the rules as a result.

I think that most people probably will continue to wear this bullshit for a while into the Spring, but if the Government goes off in pursuit of very low case numbers after people have pretty well stopped dying then people will start to seriously question what the Government is playing at. That is, the Government might, under pressure from the masks-until-the-end-of-time faction of SAGE and their doom-laden models, still try to engage in a slow creep unlocking - schools, wait a month, gyms, wait a month, shops, wait a month, etc, etc. But the public will expect both care home visits and family meet-ups in general to be restored once the over 50s are all done and have had their three weeks to build immunity, and I think if we've not got the pubs and restaurants back by the time the hospitalisation and death figures are down to last Summer's levels then there will be ructions.
    Looks like the focus will increase on hospitalisations and deaths especially as the cases fall seems to have stopped.

I am sure that someone in government or their advisers said we should focus on those measures in any case, I can't recall who.

Everyone is fed up now. We need a plausible way out. Prudent but plausible. Over to you Boris on Monday.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

IANAE. But don't discount the relief at having been through a year of stress and looking like you will live to tell the tale.
    Or you're old.
  • Since it's a quiet night, may I ask a question?

Do you think it would help if I eased up on sex for a bit?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,559

Isn’t that what SeaShanty was saying at 11.11 ?
  • Nigelb said:

Isn’t that what SeaShanty was saying at 11.11 ?
    Oh. I thought he was just trying to be helpful.
  • dixiedean said:

IANAE. But don't discount the relief at having been through a year of stress and looking like you will live to tell the tale.
    Or you're old.
    To be serious for a moment, both statements are perfectly correct.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited February 2021
    If the UK was going purely by age and attained 100% coverage at each age point (We won't and we're not for good reasons), we'd have be onto 59 year olds by now for first doses and 89 year olds for second.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

As a fortysomething, that sounds fantastic.

Unfortunately, however, when things seem too good to be true they usually are.
    In the article, there are lots of coulds, maybes and ifs....
    Plus the headline implies all over-40s will be done by end of March when the article actually means some over-40s will be vaccinated by then.
    Some over 40s have been vaccinated already!
    How is California's rollout going ?
    They are looking to imitate the EU.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Plus the headline implies all over-40s will be done by end of March when the article actually means some over-40s will be vaccinated by then.
    Not true! They can recall Newsome!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Young pop cities like Newham and Tower Hamlets, Birmingham, Manchester will probably get onto people in their 40s shortly if they're not there already tbh given the demographics.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    So good to hear such positivity on here tonight. Can't wait for a proper post-Covid PB meet up!

Cheered myself up no end today by getting a proper record player and speakers. Took over an hour to set up. Fluence deck with some Edifier speakers, which are also bluetooth. Whack the bass up a bit. Can't bear that sound.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Not true! They can recall Newsome!
    The last numbers I saw, which may be a little out of date, were that California had only managed to use half the vaccines it had received.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Mortimer said:

So good to hear such positivity on here tonight. Can't wait for a proper post-Covid PB meet up!

Cheered myself up no end today by getting a proper record player and speakers. Took over an hour to set up. Fluence deck with some Edifier speakers, which are also bluetooth. Whack the bass up a bit. Can't bear that sound.

Or beat, even!
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Or beat, even!
    Ha ha, I worked out the typo! Enjoy the new kit sir - sounds great.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    Sir Keir Starmer: No more 'constructive opposition'

What does he mean no more? The only constructive opposition I have heard over the past 12 months has come from the likes of Tony Blair and Jeremy Hunt.

I notice that Starmer in his big speech was claiming that despite the budget not having been written yet, he knew already that he would make different choices. No more Captain Hindsight, more like Mystic Meg.
    O/T

Random fact: a decent quality video of Andrew Gold's 1978 hit Never Let Her Slip Away has finally appeared on YouTube. Previously all the versions were really poor either in terms of sound or picture.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitRwdUj_Mw
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    It never fails to blow my mind how these equations were mostly conceived when these people didn't have access to electricity, let alone computers.

https://twitter.com/ProfFeynman/status/1362459144503005187?s=20
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited February 2021
    !!!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Sir Keir Starmer: No more 'constructive opposition'

What does he mean no more? The only constructive opposition I have heard over the past 12 months has come from the likes of Tony Blair and Jeremy Hunt.

I notice that Starmer in his big speech was claiming that despite the budget not having been written yet, he knew already that he would make different choices. No more Captain Hindsight, more like Mystic Meg.

Yet the government response seems to have been that they are about to make many of the same choices?
This discussion has been closed.