Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polling in 15 of the world’s leading countries finds Brits at the top of the league on wanting to be

123457»

Comments

• Options
    There is a new thread btw.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

The obvious answer here is no, it wont change the fact they were executed and no on living was responsible
    So, not a believer in vampires then. Or do the undead not count as "living"? These are indeed pressing issues and if we are lucky it might leave the Scottish Parliament insufficient time to debate the latest version of the Hate Speech bill which remains an abomination.
    Why would I believe in vampires or other undead, apart from the louse of hords
    Well if we are being required to believe in witches, why not?
    Witches were sort of a different kettle of fish, more free thinkers that challenged the church ideology than creatures of myth
    Nonsense.
    Nonsense yourself, religous rituals are no different to christians turning wine in to blood, bread into flesh and practising ritual cannabalism.
    Apologies. It seemed you were claiming greater trend to find them guilty of witchcraft if someone was a feminist or with propensities for social reform, or an independent free thinker. You would have to provide some evidence or a citation for that.
    I was pointing out merely that most convicted of witchcrarft tended to be those that went against the social norms, annoyed their neighbours enough or followed other faiths was all
    What about too intelligent? Too pretty?
    Quite probably too, being proclaimed a witch was fairly easy in some times for a lot of reasons
    I am sorry is it suddenly contentious that a lot of innocent people got condemned for witchcraft? Did I trespass on a woke meme that all accused were guilty all of a sudden. I thought the fact was fairly well accepted
    Your previous post was better. The Romans called it Damnatio memoriae - not done from a hatred of images, but a hatred of particular people the images honor. With you it seems your hatred of the people committing the crime of witch-hunting makes all victims martyrs. You don’t seem to offer any evidence to support this belief or know who was killed and why. Though you do concede there were lots of reasons behind accusations.
    My initial post on the subject however was no one currently alive had done any witch hunting therefore they should feel no need to apologise for times gone by when people judged differently
    “Nonsense yourself, religous rituals are no different to christians turning wine in to blood, bread into flesh”

The accusation thrown in this post at all Christians? How does it differ from what the protest movement threw at the Catholics?
    That was later on after being challenged and I was pointing out all faiths have a form of ritual magic is all. Whether they call it that or not. Is there a difference between what I do at the stones on a samhains eve and what a christian does at mass?
    Christians and members of all other faiths ask deities for favour via prayer and ritual, but fundamentally, 'man proposes, God disposes'. The point about spells and charms is that you are attempting to manipulate others using the supernatural. Even something as innocuous as a spell for more money, could 'work' by the death of a close family member leading to an inheritance. That's quite dark - and that's before you start on curses etc.

Undoubtedly a lot of these women were not witches. And undoubtedly even most of those who were probably practised it in a very benign way, and NONE deserved their fate. However, their current canonisation after the fact has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that the current media narrative is 'Christian bad' - and that means all the historic enemies of Christianity must be good. We should consider witchcraft carefully before we just put it into the 'good' category.
    Well define the difference for a start between a spell and a prayer for something to happen. I cast a love spell for x to fall in love with me. I pray for x to fall in love with me.

Secondly where have I canonized anyone as I said first off we should not be apologising for the executions because they weren't done by us but in a time where witchcraft was claimed to be a crime.

Thirdly I dont think at any point I have said christian bad I merely said some christian practices such as transubstantation are no different to what others call magic rituals
    Humility vs control
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Brexit lorry chaos avoided as freight flows 'back to normal'

Internal figures seen by the BBC show outbound roll-on roll-off lorry traffic for Great Britain for the month so far at 98% of last February's levels.

Inbound traffic is at 99% of last year's levels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56044610

It's almost as ifJanuary's figures weren't comparable - not least because the French closed the border for a few days.

Will we get an FT article on this? Or will they focus on Q1 figures being down 25%+?
This discussion has been closed.