Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polling in 15 of the world’s leading countries finds Brits at the top of the league on wanting to be

Comments

• Options

Floater said:

Son's arm still hurts 24 hours after his jab - but count me in!!!

Mine did too - worst about 36 hours in and now eased off to nothing. Headache at 36 hours as well, but minor.
    AZ?
    Yep
    It certainly seems to cause more of a short-term reaction than the Pfizer one, presumably because you actually get infected with a live (but harmless) virus, which isn't the case with the mRNA jabs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Reposting this link from the last thread: excellent long read article about Nikki Haley, which is essential reading for anyone intending to be on the next US presidential election.
    https://www.politico.com/interactives/2021/magazine-nikki-haleys-choice/

This bit from the end of the piece is quite amazing...

...Perhaps the greatest threat to Haley is Fox News after dark. There is a reason she went on Laura Ingraham’s show on January 25—a few weeks after blaming Trump for the siege of the Capitol—and said we should “give the man a break.” (This was my latest Haley-induced whiplash; it made, by my count, three distinct stances on Trump in the span of six weeks.)...
    ...Hoping for a hint, I asked Haley on January 12: Does she still consider Trump a friend?

“Friend,” she answered, “is a loose term.”

... in the contact of this story, also posted today.

Nikki Haley breaks with Trump: 'We shouldn't have followed him'
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/538573-haley-breaks-with-trump-we-shouldnt-have-followed-him

Haley is probably the GOP's best chance to win the 2024 Presidential election but also the least likely to win the GOP nomination of the main contenders, the best she can do is be the VP pick to balance the ticket for Pence or Cruz, one of whom will likely be the nominee if Trump does not run again.
    Cruz has no chance.
    Hope you`re wrong I`ve lumped on him at tasty prices.
    The one solid rule of Republican politics is that everyone hates Cruz.
    I'd be laying him at current odds if it were much closer to the election, but it's an awful lot of money to tie up for several years.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,961
    edited February 2021
    Vaxometer

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 14,012,224
    Required 987,776

Yesterday's return 503,116

Days to target 3

Required rate 329,259 (↓ from 372,723 yesterday)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Le Pen's expression is priceless

https://twitter.com/MehreenKhn/status/1360234436143550466

Wait, what did you just say?????

Indeed, she could just not believe what she was hearing. Perhaps she can run as the moderate in the run-off against Macron now.
    It is one of those rare, unguarded reactions from a politician, and so very amusing.
    To be fair - it was a bit of a "what the fuck" moment

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Wales widening its lead - and strong performances from NI & Scotland:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1360259400443834372?s=20

We are going to end up at the bottom!!
    England are doing a Newcastle United
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:
    I'll never really understand the Green figure. Other parties are pretty darn green thesedays, and with 7% they cannot all be radical Corbynistas.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Indeed, she could just not believe what she was hearing. Perhaps she can run as the moderate in the run-off against Macron now.
    I had to check a couple of times to make sure it wasn't just some strange translation....

What has Macron actually said?
    It wasnt Macron - click the link in my original post to see what was said by the minister
    Yes. OMFG.

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1360222480980443138
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I'll never really understand the Green figure. Other parties are pretty darn green thesedays, and with 7% they cannot all be radical Corbynistas.
    Those labour numbers are terrible
  • Options

England are doing a Newcastle United
    We conceded our long-held top spot to the Welsh on Wednesday and are about to be superseded by the Irish, with the spectre of an in-form Scotland threatening to hammer all-comers and surge up the table!
  • Options
    Not really heard much about the Russian rollout of their Sputnik vaccine. I wonder if the fiddling with their Covid figures (with excess deaths around 3x that) is hindering acceptance of it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Yay for us!

Take some Picts, Celts and Silures
    And let them settle,
    Then overrun them with Roman conquerors.
    Remove the Romans after approximately 400 years
    Add lots of Norman French to some
    Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings, then stir vigorously.

Mix some hot Chileans, cool Jamaicans, Dominicans,
    Trinidadians and Bajans with some Ethiopians, Chinese,
    Vietnamese and Sudanese.

Then take a blend of Somalians, Sri Lankans, Nigerians
    And Pakistanis,
    Combine with some Guyanese
    And turn up the heat.

Sprinkle some fresh Indians, Malaysians, Bosnians,
    Iraqis and Bangladeshis together with some
    Afghans, Spanish, Turkish, Kurdish, Japanese
    And Palestinians
    Then add to the melting pot.
    Leave the ingredients to simmer.

As they mix and blend allow their languages to flourish
    Binding them together with English.

Allow time to be cool.

Add some unity, understanding, and respect for the future,
    Serve with justice
    And enjoy.

Note: All the ingredients are equally important. Treating one ingredient better than another will leave a bitter unpleasant taste.

Warning: An unequal spread of justice will damage the people and cause pain. Give justice and equality to all.
    Benjamin Zephaniah
    Will no-one stand up for the Beaker People?
    What no Jewish people?

That's a sore point, because of the Expulsion and then being banned from living here for three hundred years.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Why not? There's plenty Corbynistas who'd rather the Torys win forever than some Labour *spits on the ground* centrist win.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

Friend of mine, whose wife tested positive a day or so after, I believe, he had his first vaccination is, according to his daughter, on a ventilator!

Sorry to hear that, hope he is ok.

Bad luck to get exposed (presumably) before any protective effect from vaccine.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Reposting this link from the last thread: excellent long read article about Nikki Haley, which is essential reading for anyone intending to be on the next US presidential election.

...Perhaps the greatest threat to Haley is Fox News after dark. There is a reason she went on Laura Ingraham’s show on January 25—a few weeks after blaming Trump for the siege of the Capitol—and said we should “give the man a break.” (This was my latest Haley-induced whiplash; it made, by my count, three distinct stances on Trump in the span of six weeks.)...
    ...Hoping for a hint, I asked Haley on January 12: Does she still consider Trump a friend?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/538573-haley-breaks-with-trump-we-shouldnt-have-followed-him

Haley is probably the GOP's best chance to win the 2024 Presidential election but also the least likely to win the GOP nomination of the main contenders, the best she can do is be the VP pick to balance the ticket for Pence or Cruz, one of whom will likely be the nominee if Trump does not run again.
    Cruz has no chance.

I'd sooner put money on Tucker Carlson.
    Agree. Don't think Carlson either. My lay book (for GOP nom) is going gangbusters. I've done the 2 above plus all the Trumps, Haley, Pence, Paul, Pompeo, Carson. It's the most incredible fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Why not? There's plenty Corbynistas who'd rather the Torys win forever than some Labour *spits on the ground* centrist win.
    Sure, but why leap across to them now? For such people I'd have thought not restoring the whip to Saint Jezza would have been the final straw (he's kept quiet, I am amazed it has not been restored - or would be, were it not for his court case)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Adam Price applauding Catalan nationalists, I expect Madrid will take note

https://twitter.com/Esquerra_INT/status/1360266146755342339?s=20
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Yay for us!

Take some Picts, Celts and Silures
    And let them settle,
    Then overrun them with Roman conquerors.
    Remove the Romans after approximately 400 years
    Add lots of Norman French to some
    Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings, then stir vigorously.

Mix some hot Chileans, cool Jamaicans, Dominicans,
    Trinidadians and Bajans with some Ethiopians, Chinese,
    Vietnamese and Sudanese.

Then take a blend of Somalians, Sri Lankans, Nigerians
    And Pakistanis,
    Combine with some Guyanese
    And turn up the heat.

Sprinkle some fresh Indians, Malaysians, Bosnians,
    Iraqis and Bangladeshis together with some
    Afghans, Spanish, Turkish, Kurdish, Japanese
    And Palestinians
    Then add to the melting pot.
    Leave the ingredients to simmer.

As they mix and blend allow their languages to flourish
    Binding them together with English.

Allow time to be cool.

Add some unity, understanding, and respect for the future,
    Serve with justice
    And enjoy.

Note: All the ingredients are equally important. Treating one ingredient better than another will leave a bitter unpleasant taste.

Warning: An unequal spread of justice will damage the people and cause pain. Give justice and equality to all.
    Benjamin Zephaniah
    Will no-one stand up for the Beaker People?
    What no Jewish people?

Palestinians? After all, that was where they started. Unless you're a follower of Koestler.
    Good luck with that explanation.

Yeah; complex genetic mixtures in East Europe. With a bit of effort almost anything can be 'proved'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt "Madrid" cares what he has to say to be honest.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

I had to check a couple of times to make sure it wasn't just some strange translation....

Here's the link again. See also the twitter feed below the video:

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Cruz has no chance.
    Hope you`re wrong I`ve lumped on him at tasty prices.
    The one solid rule of Republican politics is that everyone hates Cruz.
    I'd be laying him at current odds if it were much closer to the election, but it's an awful lot of money to tie up for several years.
    Even the Haley article has a go at him.
    ...Haley didn’t really know Cruz, but he was everything she had expected—awkward, insincere. Over a painfully long dinner, the Texas senator recited line after line from his stump speech. When she asked Cruz, near the end of the dinner, what he would want his legacy to be as president, he responded, “I want to be remembered as the president who repealed every word of Obamacare.” When the senator left, Haley and her staff burst into laughter...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I think they have a core vote like the LDs, even if it's rather small. Some background level of concern about the environment is widespread, though for most voters this has little or no impact in reality upon the decisions that they make about how to live their lives. A small minority, however, are disciples of Saint Greta and genuinely regard the environment as their number one, overriding concern. A vote for the Greens makes sense for those people, even if some of them may be unaware, or do not necessarily endorse all, of their policies.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Floater said:

Son's arm still hurts 24 hours after his jab - but count me in!!!

Mine did too - worst about 36 hours in and now eased off to nothing. Headache at 36 hours as well, but minor.
    Interesting - SinoVac administered in Indonesia also led to splitting headache - fixed with paracetamol....
    Headache obviously attributable to the nanobots rearranging the DNA in preparation for biological integration with our soon-to-be overlords from the planet Zarg.
    Or it could be Bill Gates' microchips downloading a massive software update.
    Maybe. If so there'll be 14 million people in the UK with exception errors shortly, and having to switch themselves off and on again. Utter Tory shambles.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

To be fair Plaid are still a poor third in Wales, had Sturgeon said it it would have been a different matter
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The only Welsh politician the world is listening to Mark Drakeford though, thanks to his marvellous rollout of the vaccine.

He really should be a contender to succeed Sir Keir Starmer, if not Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Funny how we got the thread the other day about how supposedly Starmer is leading in the favourability ratings - except actually Johnson has more favourables, Starmer just has more don't knows than negatives is the only difference.

This rating shows the same thing. More people favour Boris than Starmer - but there's a chunk that don't know.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Sure, but why leap across to them now? For such people I'd have thought not restoring the whip to Saint Jezza would have been the final straw (he's kept quiet, I am amazed it has not been restored - or would be, were it not for his court case)
    I dunno, anecdotally the removal of the whip from Saint Jezza sparked apathy rather than opposition to Starmer's Labour. Perhaps Bozza's vaccine success is causing the same people to give up seeking actual power and rather align with a party they feel actually represents their views?

I'm not sure it guides us on the outcome of the next election but its certainly not good for Labour in the locals.
  • Options

Given the higher refusal rates among the BAME population, unless that changes, it's almost inevitable.

% BAME:
    Eng & Wls: 14%
    Scotland: 4%
    NI: <2%
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I think they have a core vote like the LDs, even if it's rather small. Some background level of concern about the environment is widespread, though for most voters this has little or no impact in reality upon the decisions that they make about how to live their lives. A small minority, however, are disciples of Saint Greta and genuinely regard the environment as their number one, overriding concern. A vote for the Greens makes sense for those people, even if some of them may be unaware, or do not necessarily endorse all, of their policies.
    I've voted green to encourage other parties to be more green. In a FPTP world where most of us live in safe one party seats it seems a more rational use of my vote than most alternatives. I wouldn't want a Green party government.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Then answer me this. How come the European country which is furthest ahead of all the other EU members is tiny Malta which went out and procured vaccines on its own?

So Carlotta you are saying that countries could have gone out and got vaccines regardless of their status of EU membership?
    Germany did.
    So how come the EU is the baddy? They just turned out to be useless at vaccine procurement.

As with everything else, membership of the EU was incidental to the real issue.
    Many things are possible whilst also facing pressure to not do those things. The EU prizes solidarity so highly it may well be difficult for some to take alternative actions. So I dont agree its incidental when the EC is saying the approach was right as that is relevant.

They might well still consider it the right approach even with the issues, but if presented two options and I'm very strongly told I should pick one of them it's not incidental.
    Hmm. The mighty Malta UK would not have been able to plough its own furrow?
    We may or may not have chosen to do so, I dont know. I doubt most EU nations think they made a wrong call sticking with the coordinated approach. I merely contest the idea it is incidental if there is a preferred and recommended EU approach. That's highly relevant for any nation considering going outside. They could, some did, but it's not a minor factor.

You may think people are making too much of it, but it certainly is not incidental.
    My point is that like so much else, we remain and would have remained sovereign. Had we wanted to as EU members (indeed weren't we to all intents and purposes EU members at the time) have done our own thing. As did Malta and Germany.

I get that the EU were crap at vaccine procurement and we were the dog's. But that we were the dog's had nothing to do with us being members of the EU. Of course they had a preferred and recommended approach but so what?
    The 'so what' is you saying it was incidental to the point when it was very much an impactful factor in any national decision. I think you are presuming I was making a point beyond that and are seeking to counter it, but that is not the case.
  • Options
    Are Senators supposed to be jurors in cases of impeachment ?

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1360258176478814210
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I've voted green to encourage other parties to be more green. In a FPTP world where most of us live in safe one party seats it seems a more rational use of my vote than most alternatives. I wouldn't want a Green party government.
    Local Greens round my way seem to work a lot harder between elections than many other parties, which is deserving of some amount of praise.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,364
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Wow.

That’s just extraordinary.

It’s a bit like Roehm’s famous claim that Hitler wasn’t being violent enough.

Although hopefully it won’t provoke quite the same reaction.
  • Options
    Actually given Corbyn Labour was 11% behind the Tories in the 2017 county council elections which are up again this year, for Labour to be only 6% behind now would still be a swing to Labour
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    They're former UKIPers. ;)

They're None of the Above.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

HYUFD said:

The only Welsh politician the world is listening to Mark Drakeford though, thanks to his marvellous rollout of the vaccine.

He really should be a contender to succeed Sir Keir Starmer, if not Boris Johnson
    He really shouldn’t.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options

HYUFD said:

Drakeford will likely lose seats in May in the Senedd on current polls
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    UK R

From cases

From hospitalisations

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Not sure why they care how unprepared the team was, everyone can see the votes are there since before the trial even started. And it's not like they worry about the liberal media thinking that makes them look craven.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,147
    HYUFD said:

Runaway winner of most impressive political eyebrows since Denis Healey.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

He really shouldn’t.
    Drakeford is clearly the finest politician in the UK – a true hero of Wales. As I am sure you and @Big_G_NorthWales will agree.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    edited February 2021
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

If you say something really patently ridiculous it can have the effect of stopping everyone in their tracks processing it before working out it is nonsense. I once witnessed in a meeting someone asking why there was no bad creditors provision on the creditors figure. It took several seconds of people going through the 'oh god we haven't, to this guy is a blithering idiot'.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Wow.

How extreme are the NF in France now? They've been tacking to the centre when other global right wing parties have got more nationalistic. Are they still an outlier? Are they really worse than Trump Republicans are or UKIP were (the Farage version, not the mad spin offs)?

I dont know, but my sense is the British perception is they are more extreme but the reality may be different?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

UK local R

What strikes me about that one is how close the Kent districts are to the bottom of that table. Canterbury is only propped up by Orkney and Shetland. I seriously think the post infection immunity of being ravaged by our own varient, plus the vaccine rollout, has built up a degree of immunity here.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not sure why they care how unprepared the team was, everyone can see the votes are there since before the trial even started. And it's not like they worry about the liberal media thinking that makes them look craven.
    Trump is using it to say the election was stolen.
    R Senators want him to say he didnt mean to incite the crowds. Trump wont do that for them.
    As always it is Trump demonstrating he has power, and the Senators wishing he didn't but unable or unwilling to stop him acting as he pleases.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh that's entirely understandable. Most of us are in one-party states in that sense, of course. The last time the constituency where I live returned anyone other than a Tory was 1970. One Shirley Williams. Wonder what happened to her?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Well done Mike on your vaccination and to all the others on here who are either having it or close to those who are.

It's a stellar success story.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drakeford will likely lose seats in May in the Senedd on current polls
    I suspect TSE's tongue was firmly in cheek.

But you are right. Anecdotally here in Wales, Johnson is responsible for the vaccine rollout whilst Drakeford is responsible for the lockdown.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

R Senators want him to say he didnt mean to incite the crowds. Trump wont do that for them.
    As always it is Trump demonstrating he has power, and the Senators wishing he didn't but unable or unwilling to stop him acting as he pleases.
    They are very able to do something about it. It is that they are choosing not to. I fear for the GOP's foreseeable future as a national party. Failing to challenge Trump here, where the Senators actually have the power to do so in a very conclusive manner, means that they are giving up on electoral viability across whole swathes of the country
  • Options
    ?

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh that's entirely understandable. Most of us are in one-party states in that sense, of course. The last time the constituency where I live returned anyone other than a Tory was 1970. One Shirley Williams. Wonder what happened to her?
    1970? A marginal then.

1922 here. And that was presumably part of the 1922-23 last gasp of Liberalism
  • Options
    TimT said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

They are very able to do something about it. It is that they are choosing not to. I fear for the GOP's foreseeable future as a national party. Failing to challenge Trump here, where the Senators actually have the power to do so in a very conclusive manner, means that they are giving up on electoral viability across whole swathes of the country
    I'd concur but in their minds they probably believe they can't. Not sure when they expect to get a better opportunity.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    @Malmesbury thanks again for the graphs - they tell a great (as in clear and as in good content) story!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Let's be honest, people aren't attracted to the Greens by their eco-friendly credentials.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

HYUFD said:

If not President of the world.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Per Owen Jones -

The Greens are far from a homogeneous bunch. They are best understood as having three main factions: the environmentalist “figs”, who are passionate about the climate and human rights, and fear an overbearing state; the liberal (yellow) “mangoes” who care about the same issues, but favour incremental market solutions; and the leftist “watermelons” (green on the outside, red on the inside) who prefer the role of an active government to achieve greater equality.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Oddly that ties in with anecdotal evidence from the Grauniad I think. It's an odd poll though as all the others barely detect a LD pulse let alone a rise in support.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    And the Lib Dems are starting to pick up again. Not surprising. They are back in campaigning mode, ahead of the local elections.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Wow.

How extreme are the NF in France now? They've been tacking to the centre when other global right wing parties have got more nationalistic. Are they still an outlier? Are they really worse than Trump Republicans are or UKIP were (the Farage version, not the mad spin offs)?

I dont know, but my sense is the British perception is they are more extreme but the reality may be different?
    Not as bad as the Trump Republicans imo. But then ...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    There can be no liberation for us without liberation for all

And accordingly, you're not even allowed to discuss things with other people. Or, indeed, achieve any partial success, ever.
    Also firmly on the Path of the Mahayana.
    Buddhist schism reference.
    Not many of them to the pound.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Per Owen Jones -

The Greens are far from a homogeneous bunch. They are best understood as having three main factions: the environmentalist “figs”, who are passionate about the climate and human rights, and fear an overbearing state; the liberal (yellow) “mangoes” who care about the same issues, but favour incremental market solutions; and the leftist “watermelons” (green on the outside, red on the inside) who prefer the role of an active government to achieve greater equality.
    Congrats on showing up on this thread. Can't have been easy. Keep at it.
  • Options
    felix said:
    'Twas ever thus. (Answering for a friend.)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Given the higher refusal rates among the BAME population, unless that changes, it's almost inevitable.

% BAME:
    NI:
    There are invidual London Boroughs like Newham, and Ealing, that alone have more BAME residents than the whole of Scotland. London is likely to be way at the bottom of the list for vaccination due to the demographics, which is bad news when many of the people forgoing the vaccine are those that need the protection most.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

Well done Mike on your vaccination and to all the others on here who are either having it or close to those who are.

It's a stellar success story.

Just booked it for Sunday, which is a relief in case I have to go into hospital. Haven't had my MRI result yet, but I know the consultant has had it for several days so I'm hoping that means there is nothing urgent re my vocal cord paralysis.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

HYUFD said:

The daughter of King Felipe is coming to Wales to study at some, I presume, International or private school.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Wow.

They are trying very hard to sell themselves as not the boot-boy-Petainist-tribute-band

From what French people I know tell me, this is regarded as lipstick on a pig. But the people I know are all firmly in the vote-for-anyone-but-FN* group

*Yes, they have changed the name.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Wow.

Le Pen is now polling higher than the Tories got in 2019 in the French presidential election latest runoff polls and about the same as Trump got percentage of the vote wise.

The UK, US and France ie the main western powers permanently on the UN Security Council and in the G7 are now all seeing the populist right face off against the centrist, social democratic left Boris v Starmer, Trumpism v Biden and Le Pen v Macron.

There is a similar story in Italy and Canada and Spain, only really Germany the exception of the main western powers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    kle4 said:

?

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    1970? A marginal then.

Totnes was Liberal in 1923. (And LibDem via the wandering Dr Sarah Wollaston in 2019, but not elected as such.)
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Those labour numbers are terrible
    I don't know why you are surprised. I have been saying for months that the Conservatives would pull away post vaccine, post Brexit . Although 33% for Labour is lower than I had anticipated. Labour will, I antcipate catch up and cross over. The news for Johnson of late has only been positive. That will change. Starmer, nonetheless needs to pull his finger out.
  • Options
    According to the Sun, the Drakester is plotting a Welcome To Free Wales policy that will open up pubs west of Offa's Dyke on 2 April, just in time for Easter.

He's the one to watch – the very best of the best.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

?

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    1970? A marginal then.

The long-abolished seat of Hitchin. Quite marginal by that point, yes. She jumped ship and went to Stevenage in Feb 74 and a Tory took over. We then had the same chap until 1992, and his successor was Sir Oliver Heald who's still the local MP today.

For context, I wasn't born until 1976.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

As political acts of abject, unprincipled cowardice go, the GOP senators refusal to convict Donald Trump has to be right up there.
  • Options
    glw said:

% BAME:
    NI:
    There are invidual London Boroughs like Newham, and Ealing, that alone have more BAME residents than the whole of Scotland. London is likely to be way at the bottom of the list for vaccination due to the demographics, which is bad news when many of the people forgoing the vaccine are those that need the protection most.
    If it happens then clearly that's not good news, but it looks from what I've read about the subject as if determined efforts are being made to bring down hesitancy rates as much as possible.

Basically if we end up with almost nobody refusing in the best performing areas and only 5% in the worst, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If the figures are more like 5% and 20% then it wouldn't be so great.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ClippP said:

And the Lib Dems are starting to pick up again. Not surprising. They are back in campaigning mode, ahead of the local elections.
    Back in campaigning mode against the lockdown instructions do you mean?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    kle4 said:

?

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    1970? A marginal then.

1923 here. No Labour candidate. 24% Labour in 1922. And well into the 20's again in 1924 ending a year of our radical lefty experiment.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Won't Starmer bank the Don't Knows? He seems to be their leader, after all
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Yep, same for me. Figure that higher green votes shows the main parties that voters care about green issues. This was mostly when green issues were a bit less in the mainstream.
  • Options

According to the Sun, the Drakester is plotting a Welcome To Free Wales policy that will open up pubs west of Offa's Dyke on 2 April, just in time for Easter.

He's the one to watch – the very best of the best.

That worked so well last time. Unlocking a fortnight before England made Wales net importers of Cockney Covid.

Looking forward to the influx of Kent shoppers to McArthur Glen, Bridgend, a day after April fool's day.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

As political acts of abject, unprincipled cowardice go, the GOP senators refusal to convict Donald Trump has to be right up there.
    Any GOP Senator who votes to convict Trump will face a primary challenge they would probably lose, with a few exceptions like Romney in Utah where he has a big personal vote.

The same goes for the 10 GOP Representatives who voted to impeach Trump.

Turkeys do not vote for Christmas
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    There's nothing to fear. I was at Trinity Oxford with Sian Berry and she was a fantastic Ents Officer on the JCR. You can't buy that sort of experience.

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    Won't Starmer bank the Don't Knows? He seems to be their leader, after all
    Sir Abstainalot? Very good!
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I'd love to think it was the deep thirst of the people for a radical rethink of the constitution, the revival of local politics and democracy, deep thinking about the nature of work and the economy in the 21st century, a willingness to grasp the nettle of social care and healthcare needs and funding, and a firm commitment to freedom of movement and an ethical foreign policy.

But I suspect it's mostly a proxy for "none of the above".
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

To be fair, not all are cowards.
    A few are just crazy.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

Turkeys do not vote for Christmas

You haven't met any shellfish fishermen then?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Really? Have you found a pulse?
This discussion has been closed.