Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,629
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

In Florida now cases are falling and

every Floridian has a right to operate a business.
    every Floridian has a right to work.
    every Floridian child has a right to an in person education.

If you are a restaurant worker they have your back.
    If you are a hairdresser they have your back.

Go Florida!

Except they have had 70% higher rate of cases per capita than the UK. I wonder how our health service would have coped with that?
    How did theirs? and why isn;t our health service like that?

Maybe they had more deaths per capita as a result.

But look, their children are in SCHOOL. Their children aren't seeing their lives completely destroyed by lockdown. Many of ours are.

No they really aren't. It is not ideal but it is not destroying lives. Catching Covid and dying on the other hand does destroy lives. As does listening to idiots like you.
    'Its not ideal' Well that is one way of putting it. It certainly is not the way the Children's Commissioner puts it, or the recent BBC's investigation puts it.

This generation of children is the worst treated since evacuation, and before that the first world war. Its going to be a huge scandal, and one we can lay right at the feet of lockdown lunatics like yourself.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,026

Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It occurs to me that for real skip fire quality Cherry might stand on the list for the ISP (not sure how far they're along the line on confirming candidates) on an explicitly Salmondite ticket, he's been suspiciously quiet on endorsing any one person or party for May. Of course it would end any hopes of leading the SNP and FM-ship, and would be a big gamble (pollster aren't even mentioning ISP on their Scottish polls so far).
    Not likely but the days of political sure things are long gone.

Lolz, Cherry isn't that stupid.
    I did say not likely.

What I'm really wondering per May election is what is the ISP for, its USP as it were? Unless Salmond jumps in I can see them having a Rise level performance. Their adherents are currently pushing the line that twitter polls are more reflective of their true chances rather than actual polls by accredited pollsters; that's giving off a real limp dick energy.
    The ISP is for exactly the kind of people who thought RISE was going to do great.

The great anti-Sturgeon coup is putting all its eggs in the Salmond enquiry basket and even that is botched.

With Cherry lacking the guts to stand for Ed Central they don't have a figure lined up to take over even if #TheSturge (sorry, making up my own shit doomed to fail Twitter nickname there) is toppled.

So say the enquiry forces Sturgeon to step down, who from the Cherry wing takes over? And they'd just be a seat warmer for Cherry, who must be painfully aware that she herself would be a seat warmer for Salmond.

At best! They have rather got over excited at winning the NEC places on shite turnout.
    Cherry didn't have the option to stand - it was barred.
    Yes she did. She could have stood but didn't want to resign her Westminster seat.

She wants to be leader but she doesn't personally want to risk anything
    The SNP wanted her to pay £10,000 to stand, to cover cost of a Westminster by-election.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/joanna-cherry-will-not-seek-holyrood-nomination-due-snp-rules-change-2929819
    'It comes after suggestions that the SNP's ruling National Executive Committee could bring in a new requirement for sitting MPs wishing to stand for Holyrood to secure at least £10,000 of funding towards the subsequent by-election campaign.'

'Could' doing a bit of work there. Was the requirement brought in?
    If so I'd assume it would apply equally to all WM to Holyrood transfers?
    It was passed as a resolution of the NEC .
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1318217/snp-edinburgh-central-scotland-elections-holyrood-latest-nicola-sturgeon
    And subsequently reversed.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18703900.snp-carry-review-party-structures-nec-controversy/
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2021
    banjoed.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.
    https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1356236028978278403

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.
    "Camp" = stereotypical gay man. Edit: think Soho boho 1960s-70s.

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
    Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
    Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).
    Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

/Crawls back under the rock I've apparently been living under.
    I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
    Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
    It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
    That's an excellent point to consider.
    Not close to this at all but surely Sindy's chances in another Ref would be maximized by having Sturgeon leading the campaign?
    You would think, but no, apparently the return of the king is what's needed. Eck can cure scrofula, unite the party and gain indy by some vague process of legal cases & mumble, mumble. I saw one excitable person tweeting in the Britnat vaccine nationalist style so familiar on PB that Salmond would also sort out Scotland's vaccination roll out.
    The allure of the "king in exile" perhaps. Or, stretching it, like when a big act doesn't release an album for ages. They grow in mystique and appeal. The Happy Mondays spring to mind. Or Kate Bush.

But more seriously, Salmond is clearly a gifted and capable politician, top drawer in many ways, but he does have a slippery and ever so slightly "off" vibe to me. And whilst I fully accept the verdicts on the 'sexpest' matter - and can believe there were some dark political motives there - nevertheless just based on what is known and accepted about his behaviour in that arena it doesn't make me want to revise my opinion upwards.
    You`ve never struck me as a "no smoke without fire" kind of guy.
  • Options
    UK R

from case data

From hospitalisations

• Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    eek said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Any scope for UvdL to move on to head the IMF, the World Bank, NATO or the UN? Where else could Mme Widmerpool land?

I think her worst case scenario is she is asked privately not to have another term and she gets backing for some other international post.

It's just too embarrassing and damaging to too many to force her resignation or see the whole commission to resign.

Its reminding me of Senate Republicans.
    I'm not so sure.

The EU vaccination program is such a mess that sacking the lot of them so they carry the can might be the only way to resolve the issue.

That isn't true today but in 3 to 6 months time when the UK is out of lockdown with single figure death figures while the EU still has problems it may be required.

But they won't do it today as someone needs to carry the blame can.
    As long as we are out of lockdown in 3 to 6 months time. If we do get new variants taking off, the next lockdown could start before the current one has ended. "We have got to make sure we don't get thrown off course by new variants" said Johnson today.

Brazil is starting to do vaccinations now with the same vaccines as everywhere else. Will they work against the new Brazilian strains of the virus? This could be interesting.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,372

geoffw said:

Are there odds for a UvdL ouster before Easter?

If you look at prominent radical Eurosceptic groups like Leave.EU, its quite clear even they did not think they could get things this right. Even they did not believe their own critique of the EU to this extent.

Events have overtaken them, in some respects. The EU isn't as bad as Nigel Farage says it is. It's worse.
    With them it is prejudice coming across, as it is bound to every so often, an instance that fits.

There's this bloke who thinks all Irishman are thick, and he goes into this bar, and the first bloke he meets there is this thick Irishman.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    edited February 2021
    I make that Scotland being nine days behind England at the moment.

How far behind would be a political problem?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,750
    Just heard that neighbours 2 doors down, both in their 70s, both got jabbed last week.

Under 70s soon?

Me before the end of March?
  • Options

In Florida now cases are falling and

every Floridian has a right to operate a business.
    every Floridian has a right to work.
    every Floridian child has a right to an in person education.

If you are a restaurant worker they have your back.
    If you are a hairdresser they have your back.

Go Florida!

Except they have had 70% higher rate of cases per capita than the UK. I wonder how our health service would have coped with that?
    How did theirs? and why isn;t our health service like that?

Maybe they had more deaths per capita as a result.

But look, their children are in SCHOOL. Their children aren't seeing their lives completely destroyed by lockdown. Many of ours are.

No they really aren't. It is not ideal but it is not destroying lives. Catching Covid and dying on the other hand does destroy lives. As does listening to idiots like you.
    'Its not ideal' Well that is one way of putting it. It certainly is not the way the Children's Commissioner puts it, or the recent BBC's investigation puts it.

This generation of children is the worst treated since evacuation, and before that the first world war. Its going to be a huge scandal, and one we can lay right at the feet of lockdown lunatics like yourself.
    Just carrying on howling at the moon. No one is listening anyway. You have proved to be wrong on every single aspect of this epidemic and I don't expect you to start being right now.
  • Options
    Malky G incoming claiming it is all FAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK NEWS.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2021
    Saffers variant found in different areas of London....game over...its already everywhere.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,465
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
    Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
    Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).
    Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
    Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
    It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
    Not close to this at all but surely Sindy's chances in another Ref would be maximized by having Sturgeon leading the campaign?
    You would think, but no, apparently the return of the king is what's needed. Eck can cure scrofula, unite the party and gain indy by some vague process of legal cases & mumble, mumble. I saw one excitable person tweeting in the Britnat vaccine nationalist style so familiar on PB that Salmond would also sort out Scotland's vaccination roll out.
    The allure of the "king in exile" perhaps. Or, stretching it, like when a big act doesn't release an album for ages. They grow in mystique and appeal. The Happy Mondays spring to mind. Or Kate Bush.

But more seriously, Salmond is clearly a gifted and capable politician, top drawer in many ways, but he does have a slippery and ever so slightly "off" vibe to me. And whilst I fully accept the verdicts on the 'sexpest' matter - and can believe there were some dark political motives there - nevertheless just based on what is known and accepted about his behaviour in that arena it doesn't make me want to revise my opinion upwards.
    The move to Indy has, in very large part, been driven by women. They like Nicola. They don't like Boris.

Wonder what they would make of The Return of Eck?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,572
    edited February 2021

Saffers variant found in different areas of London....game over...its already everywhere.

Are you suggesting we are all going to die? It all depends how the Safferbug responds to the vaccine
  • Options

That's (at least) one of the vaccines one-third less effective because the government wouldn't enforce quarantine at the border.

Quite why the government is continuing to escape public debate for these failures I don't know. What a mess.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited February 2021

That's (at least) one of the vaccines one-third less effective because the government wouldn't enforce quarantine at the border.

Quite why the government is continuing to escape public debate for these failures I don't know. What a mess.
    Starmer. He's weak. He should be bashing them all over the TV and newspapers on this tomorrow. Oh that's right he didn't call for border closures either and prattled on about zoos.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    He's a pretty committed EU fanboi - makes Scott'nPaste sound like Farage and even he's not buying it!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

geoffw said:

Are there odds for a UvdL ouster before Easter?

If you look at prominent radical Eurosceptic groups like Leave.EU, its quite clear even they did not think they could get things this right. Even they did not believe their own critique of the EU to this extent.

Events have overtaken them, in some respects. The EU isn't as bad as Nigel Farage says it is. It's worse.
    With them it is prejudice coming across, as it is bound to every so often, an instance that fits.

There's this bloke who thinks all Irishman are thick, and he goes into this bar, and the first bloke he meets there is this thick Irishman.
    A man walks into a bar and sees Michael O'Leary.....
  • Options
    Hancock taking moral high ground on vaccines.
  • Options

Public censure...
  • Options
    felix said:

He's a pretty committed EU fanboi - makes Scott'nPaste sound like Farage and even he's not buying it!
    I think it's because he's SO pro-EU that he's doing this. He has a partisan interest in wanting the EU to look good (and maybe Britain look bad). Ursula Ver Der Vaccines is now SO damaged her staying in office will only harm the EU's image. Her mistake was so calamitous, ridiculous and dangerous she will never recover

So it's best if she goes. Short term embarrassment, but then the EU can move on
  • Options
    What is the reason for the Scottish differential?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You`ve never struck me as a "no smoke without fire" kind of guy.
    I'm not. It's the smoke itself I'm talking about. The verdicts say 'no fire' and I'm not second guessing that. My default on trial verdicts is they are right and there's no exception here. I wasn't on the jury.
  • Options

Just heard that neighbours 2 doors down, both in their 70s, both got jabbed last week.

Under 70s soon?

Me before the end of March?

Thought they jabbed all the 100+ group? :smile:
  • Options

Which is the less effective vax?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Leon said:

Are you suggesting we are all going to die? It all depends how the Safferbug responds to the vaccine
    Moderna and Pfizer have said they expect only a small impact on efficacy.

J&J's vaccine has actual data, and showed efficacy was at 52% for the South African version vs 72% for the US version of Covid.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

J&J's vaccine has actual data, and showed efficacy was at 52% for the South African version vs 72% for the US version of Covid.
    Hmm. Not good. No data for AZ v Safferbug?
  • Options
    felix said:

Until today the defence has been “because Scotland is doing care homes first” - given coverage of care homes is now equal across the U.K. we await to see what the latest excuse is. On the positive note they did open two mass vaccine Center’s today.
  • Options
    Leon said:

felix said:

I think it's because he's SO pro-EU that he's doing this. He has a partisan interest in wanting the EU to look good (and maybe Britain look bad). Ursula Ver Der Vaccines is now SO damaged her staying in office will only harm the EU's image. Her mistake was so calamitous, ridiculous and dangerous she will never recover

A German friends pointed out that the correct pronunciation of

Ursula von der Leyen

could be written as....

Ursula von der Lyin'
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Novovax did too, 95% against normal COVID, 85% against Kent COVID and around 60% against SA COVID. Crucially it still has 100% efficacy for hospitalisation and death against SA COVID.
  • Options
    felix said:

Different approach and methodology for the delivery of the vaccine.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    felix said:
    I want to know what the 23% are thinking? :D
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I make that Scotland being nine days behind England at the moment.

How far behind would be a political problem?
    I'm very glad we are all getting people jabbed as quickly as possible and the spread isn't very great. Friendly competition is one thing but I don't see why it would be a political problem to be slowest. Conditions differ. A long as the vaccines are available for use then the local speed of delivery isn't a matter of politics.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:
    They watch too much Adam Boulton....
  • Options
    New today:

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    undefined
    Well, it certainly helps that the USA cases are well down, since they tend to have large numbers of the total, but even so it looks like the first proper downward global trend since this all started.
  • Options

New today:

13% very favourable. There is a hardcore of people who would love the EU if it was run by a triumvirate of Hitler, Pol Pot and Pazuzu the Sumerian Wind Demon
  • Options
    Matt Hancock giving a perfect lesson to UVDL and how to do it well
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:
    Skeptical of the delayed dose strategy?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

undefined
    Well, it certainly helps that the USA cases are well down, since they tend to have large numbers of the total, but even so it looks like the first proper downward global trend since this all started.

Also, India. Down from 95k daily cases to ~10k
  • Options

Unbelievable Sky News still talking about "it appears vaccination strategy is going ok"....appears....ok....f##k me....save me from throwing stuff through my telly.

You sound frustrated that we haven't got TV coverage of the government's response to the pandemic being run by the real experts - the government.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    RobD said:

felix said:
    "The dream will never die.....no matter how many nightmares I have."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Unbelievable Sky News still talking about "it appears vaccination strategy is going ok"....appears....ok....f##k me....save me from throwing stuff through my telly.

You sound frustrated that we haven't got TV coverage of the government's response to the pandemic being run by the real experts - the government.
    Anyone but the current set of journalists would be a significant improvement.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

Come on, it is just nonsense to make such a statement. They are going gangbusters. It does a huge disservice to all those volunteers and healthcare professionals making this happen.

Loads to criticize the government over...the f##king borders are still open for starters....
  • Options
    edited February 2021

What's he doing, BigG?
  • Options
    Russia would be proud of such a statement...
  • Options
    felix said:
    It's the "Mum/Dad got jabbed. Thank God!" effect. Pretty much ties in with the proportion who have been jabbed.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

and cases are falling everywhere
  • Options

New today:

The Brussels effect sprouting?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What's he doing, BigG?
    Confidently expressing the progress but also saying how we must help the rest of the world with vaccinations
  • Options
  • Options
    Leon said:

An insane europhile sends a radio message, from Planet WTAF

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1356207241565777920?s=20

Boris being criticized....unheard of...never happens...ever...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Thank goodness no one has ever criticised Boris Johnson before.

He could give her lessons on evading responsibility though, she's not doing great there.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    felix said:
    They will however be shortly sent to the gulag as they forgot to mention "unity" in their statement.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The message must have been garbled by interference. Surely.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My mum (62) got her appointment text! Very relieved as both my parents will have partial immunity in three weeks time. Very glad for the government's single jab policy too, there's no way they'd be getting them this early had we stuck to the 3 week recommended gap.

I'm hopeful that under 50s will commence a lot earlier than people realise.

I think the top 9 priority groups totals 30 million people. There are 15 million in the first six, so getting another 15 million done in six weeks after 15 Feb seems an easy ask. So yes, under 50s from the beginning of April and some will be earlier if they live in areas with unused capacity
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's going to crater house prices where it's found though.....
  • Options
    edited February 2021

MaxPB said:

My mum (62) got her appointment text! Very relieved as both my parents will have partial immunity in three weeks time. Very glad for the government's single jab policy too, there's no way they'd be getting them this early had we stuck to the 3 week recommended gap.

I think the top 9 priority groups totals 30 million people. There are 15 million in the first six, so getting another 15 million done in six weeks after 15 Feb seems an easy ask. So yes, under 50s from the beginning of April and some will be earlier if they live in areas with unused capacity
    The new target should be to aim for 1 million a day capacity now.
  • Options

Leon said:

She also blithely ignores the fact that we voted Boris into power, and we can easily vote him out. So yes he is absolutely accountable

Compare with dear Ms Ursula, who came into power in a weird puff of smoke, from nowhere, and will stay in power until she, er goes, with no direct involvement from voters, at all
  • Options

Leon said:

Leaving aside the good doctor's insanity in the UK Boris has to face questioning to a far greater degree and the voters have the option of voting him out!
  • Options
    As long as Ursula is....
  • Options
    There's a fairly reasonable chance that the UK overtakes the EU again over the next 10-12 days. I've heard that AZ have finally got on top of their last production issues so will steam ahead at 2.5m doses per week and we're due around 1.5m doses per week from Pfizer. That could take us ahead given that the EU are slow rolling out AZ and there's a huge reduction in Moderna deliveries (I've heard 70-80% lower until end of Feb) and Pfizer still have to ramp up their new capacity on Belgium.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The next block of 15m already includes several million under 50 in the 'vulnerable' category. After the top 9 are done you're really just left with the young fit and healthy, so whilst they should and will get done quick sharp, there's no reasonable basis for legally enforced restrictions to carry on at that point.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,242
    Leon said:

Whenever she pops up, I wonder what would happen if an English academic took a job at Trinity College Dublin and spent all their time on Twitter talking about how awful Ireland is.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

What's he doing, BigG?
    Confidently expressing the progress but also saying how we must help the rest of the world with vaccinations
    The last bit will be interesting when the time comes. I have a hunch (which I hope is wrong) that it will not be an easy sell domestically.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What's he doing, BigG?
    The last bit will be interesting when the time comes. I have a hunch (which I hope is wrong) that it will not be an easy sell domestically.
    I would suggest it will be very popular once we have vaccinated most of the population
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,295
    edited February 2021

While I appreciate the alarm over the SA variant the death rate in actual South Africa, where it is presumably the dominant variant, is levelling off and cases are following a remarkably similar trajectory to our own, ie dropping like a rock. For whatever reason.

• Options
    At what point are we expecting any hard stats from the UK on the vaccination effect actually working to suppress the virus and its effects?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Starmer. He's weak. He should be bashing them all over the TV and newspapers on this tomorrow. Oh that's right he didn't call for border closures either and prattled on about zoos.
    He only needs to be right now, today, when the government are still wrong and too weak on the border. It shouldn't matter that he was also wrong for the past year.

Cameron and Osborne were able to hammer Brown for the financial crash and the deficit despite not predicting any of it in advance. This is the privilege of Opposition.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

There's correlation: the angry old men in a hurry, let's call them the Wings Over Scotland faction, also tend to be obsessed by trans people using changing rooms.
    Our local swimming pool now has just one, mixed changing room (with individual private cubicles), so the question is moot.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Leon said:

felix said:

Ursula von der Leyen

could be written as....

Ursula von der Lyin'
    I am choosing to start calling her "Ursula Fond of Lying".
  • Options
    23% of the country either are, or are married to, a teacher?
  • Options
    felix said:

At what point are we expecting any hard stats from the UK on the vaccination effect actually working to suppress the virus and its effects?

Arguably already visible in the data - the over 80s case rate is showing up as a quadratic decline on a log scale already.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Ursula von der Leyen

could be written as....

Ursula von der Lyin'
    Any advance on 'Her Surely Fond of Lying'?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    I’ve just got in from my daily walk. Should I have done that? It sounded like they want everyone in the affected postal districts (not just the postcodes getting tested) to isolate.
  • Options

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209583/Is-Kent-variant-REALLY-deadlier-original-Covid-strains.html

Kent variant may be no more deadly after all, despite many on here repeating project terror as gospel.

I said a long while back that my hairdressers's son was in on the Cobra meetings. As I reported here then, they didn't think Cockney Covid was materially deadlier - but it was W-A-Y more contagious.
  • Options
    The new EU map of Europe:

• Options

MaxPB said:

He only needs to be right now, today, when the government are still wrong and too weak on the border. It shouldn't matter that he was also wrong for the past year.

Cameron and Osborne were able to hammer Brown for the financial crash and the deficit despite not predicting any of it in advance. This is the privilege of Opposition.
    He's still not going to do it though. The UK needs to be hermetically sealed ASAP or all of our hard work with vaccination will be washed away. We may need to look at bringing second Pfizer jabs forwards and tougher lockdown measures to hold out for the full 12 weeks it takes for the AZ jab to get 95% efficacy.

There's no way we can let schools go back if SA COVID is out there. We need to close absolutely everything for the next 14 days and test everyone China style.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,767
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Yorkcity said:

Off topic.
    I would hate to be a leaseholder with a flat , with cladding that is now classed as dangerous.
    The costs to them are eye-watering.
    Many will face bankruptcy for no fault of ther own.

I think it is a good call by Lab to chase this. Govt very much need to have a way out of this now.

But I have yet to see any real proposals for going after the insulation companies.

At the moment it all seems to be about narratives for victims with votes.
    It's a scandal. Loads of people (many in straitened circumstances) losing more money than they can afford and/or trapped and unable to move. If we weren't in a time where Covid and Brexit eat all the pies it would be all over the media and a very hot political potato.

(Sorry about pies AND potatoes there. You can tell I've got dinner on the brain.)
    Don't get me into Dinner On The Brain - I have to learn how to fillet a (small, but whole) Tilapia some time this week. Bought on a whim at Morrisons. Several of its former friends have tried to eat Jeremy Wade !

Agree on the cost, but what of the remedy? Who to pay, and how? At the moment it is being driven by a group of populist (?) MPs trying to save their constituents from paying.

UK Govt as some sort of 'community' cover?

Why socialise the cost - we others have done nothing wrong. And many of us paid the extra for a house, as we know flats are risky.

Insulation Product companies?

AIUI there are 2 groups of manufacturers who make this stuff - Celotex (now part of St Gobain - roots back to 1665, French and a conglomerate owning eg Jewson, Benchmark, International Timber etc - turnover 180bn, 180k employees), and Kingspan (Irish, entrpreneurial, 15k empoyees, £5bn turnover).

Kingspan could be taken down by it. St Gobain hurt.

Freehold owners?

Unlikely to be enough money in it, as these are worth a few k per flat. Say 12x ground rent on a 8.5%. yield. £500 ground rent -> £6k ish.

Why should freeholders be any more liable than owner, as they aere no more insulation material experts.

Leaseholders?

Currently the law seems to leave them holding the baby.

Building Regulators?

They and companies (depending on verdict - to cover OGH's backside) are perhaps the obvious ones who may have done something wrong - certified it and allowed others to use it. Subject to possible deception by insulation companies.

Some sort of insurance?

Developers?

Are they not covered by using approved materials - if they have.
  • Options

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209583/Is-Kent-variant-REALLY-deadlier-original-Covid-strains.html

Kent variant may be no more deadly after all, despite many on here repeating project terror as gospel.

It doesn't have to be more deadly to be more likely to kill you. If 50% more people get it and each has the same chance of dying as they do with the normal version you will end up with 50% more deaths (and that is assuming the extra 50% of cases isn't enough to tip the NHS over the edge, killing people with unrelated conditions who couldn't be treated).
  • Options

Endillion said:

Leon said:

felix said:

Ursula von der Leyen

could be written as....

Ursula von der Lyin'
    Any advance on 'Her Surely Fond of Lying'?
    You need to add PhD (Plagiarised her Dissertation).
  • Options
    Leon said:

New today:

13% very favourable. There is a hardcore of people who would love the EU if it was run by a triumvirate of Hitler, Pol Pot and Pazuzu the Sumerian Wind Demon
    Typically London ABCI Male LibDem....
This discussion has been closed.