Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited February 2021 in General
imageCrisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

The EU Commission has given us a quite astonishing master-class in the last few days of how not to deal with a problem: panic, untrue or incomplete public statements, trying to negotiate in public, invitations sounding like threats, displays of wounded amour propre, petulant complaining, shrill demands, recourse to legal arguments, followed by peremptory action taken without proper consultation with those affected, only to be withdrawn – somewhat humiliatingly – shortly thereafter. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Where is everyone?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Although, with respect to the last point, since mutual distrust between the UK and mainland Europe has been the default position for almost the entireity of the last 1000 years, perhaps a public return to/formal enshrining of the default position may be best for everyone. Much easier to get things done and proceed on the basis of mutual self-interest if both sides are totally clear on where they stand and the pretence is officially shredded.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, I'm here. In Castle Morris Dancer.
  • Options
    Excellent article Cyclefree. Very well written and I agree 100%.
  • Options
    Good article, Miss Cyclefree.

Bizarre incompetence from the EU. It's not just compared to us, many others are doing much better as well. And when things have gone awry, other countries (or would-be countries) haven't tried to blame vaccine manufacturers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Where is everyone?

Reminiscing about their incredible 2020 "Sturgeon to be replaced by end of year" tipping on the other thread.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    So, while the UK key points of discussion with AZ were the parallel approval process, investment in manufacturing facilities and speed of delivery, the key EU points of discussion were price and liability.

So, UK has had to eat price and liability, while EU has had to eat speed of regulatory approval, speed of delivery and investment in local manufacturing.

UK gave AZ a nine-figure cheque up front for investment, EU contract demands payments some number of days after delivery.

Guess which is the better place to be in right now?
  • Options
    O/T Good to see Rasmussen continuing with their sterling efforts...

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    My one point on the article is the claim that vaccines aren't widgets.

Even the design / creation of a mould for a widget has a development lead time yet it still seems to be the case that the EU believes that lead times don't exist.

@Sandpit I'm actually surprised that AZN actually decided to manufacture anything for the EU as it seems to be that the contract is all risk and zero reward for them even before the EU started to pin the blame for their incompetency on AZN.

I think the EU should be thankful that I'm not sat anywhere near AZN's board level as I would be seeking some rapid improvements to the terms and conditions following their breach of contract.

• Options
    Belgian law, not EU law. Hmm.
  • Options
    eek said:

Even the design / creation of a mould for a widget has a development lead time yet it still seems to be the case that the EU believes that lead times don't exist.

@Sandpit I'm actually surprised that AZN actually decided to manufacture anything for the EU as it seems to be that the contract is all risk and zero reward for them even before the EU started to pin the blame for their incompetency on AZN.

I think the EU should be thankful that I'm not sat anywhere near AZN's board level as I would be seeking some rapid improvements to the terms and conditions following their breach of contract.

They decided to manufacture stuff at their existing locations to some extent, that makes sense. I'm not sure they (or anyone else TBH) foresaw the events of the last few days.

As a sceptical Brexiteer, IMO it looks like the EU didn't understand that it needed to invest in manufacturing, that it needed to actually place orders - they just thought the vaccine manufacturers would come running to them trying to sell deliveries, because they're the EU.
  • Options
    FPT

IanB2 said:

BBC - Cardboard shortage intensifies: "There is a shortage of the pulp used to make the cardboard boxes that is affecting all retailers. These plastic ones are 100% recyclable but we hope to go back to the cardboard ones as soon as we can," Asda responded on Twitter.

Axl Barber, boss of packaging firm Rightbox, says the problems started back in October but now "it's really crazy". "A standard box with flaps at top and bottom can get made up in days and delivered in a week in a normal times," he says. "At the moment it's two months, three months."

Probably because everything comes in a cardboard box from Amazon* nowadays. Buy anything at all, even just a tiny replacement USB cable and it seems to always come in a cardboard box, never a paper envelope or packaging.

Our council refuses to take cardboard in the mixed recycling wheely bin and instead uses these fiddly small plastic boxes as the cardboard recycling bins. I've taken recently to using the big green garden waste wheely bin instead for cardboard since we're not using that for garden waste at the minute and over Christmas especially could fill that up within a fortnight from just cardboard.

* other delivery companies are available.
    But sadly apart from DPD aren't anywhere near as competent.

Amazon wins because it has everything in place (hassle free quick delivery, reasonable prices and world class customer support).
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Great article.

My hope is that all this will be remembered as a moment of madness and that very soon all the new vaccines, old vaccines etc. will be produced in such vast numbers that we needn't worry about production.

Longer term - the world needs the ability to go from new disease to billions of vaccinations even faster.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited February 2021
    Very good piece. I think there may be a few more nuances in that contract, but they will never be examined.

I wonder how AZ have levered public defamation and breach of contract, though again not the core issue.

My favourite quote so far (that famous twitter feed aside) has been from DAG:

"I am not a Belgian lawyer".
  • Options
    Excellent header, though I have one quibble:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flies.png
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Just seen on Facebook - The EC has created a new body to deal with future pandemics -

Hahahahahahaha!
  • Options
    felix said:

Just seen on Facebook - The EC has created a new body to deal with future pandemics -

Hahahahahahaha!

EC: electoral college?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1356148565807149058

Ummm, I'm a big fan of Kwasi, but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this.
  • Options
    felix said:

Hahahahahahaha!

If EU countries have any sense they will have their own processes and ignoring the failed commission
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, is it an Inquisition for the purposes of dealing with heretical vaccine manufacturers?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yep, difficult to disagree with any of that.

I do wonder, however, if it is just possible that those who were so convinced that the EU were the adults, the reasonable ones whose views and positions should be given unstinting respect and deference through the long and tedious Brexit saga are taking the opportunity to reflect. It turns out that the EU is not an institution of laws after all. It is a bureaucratic mess, slow and incompetent, with a massive democratic deficit who cannot be relied upon to respect the views of its members (in this case Ireland and Art 16).

Thank the lord we are out of it. Now let's move on together and make the best of our own path.

As I keep pointing out, there is a world of difference between the EU pooing the bed over their vaccine fiasco and the EU stating a core negotiating position that the UK refused to accept. Nor are the EU the reason why we have chosen to leave the EEA. From the EU's self-imposed idiocy to our own - a wine importer whose business cannot function under the rules the UK government demanded be imposed.

Some of the responses are quite funny as well. "Can't you import wine from elsewhere?" No - it doesn't exist. ROW doesn't produce anywhere near enough wine to replace EU volume. Err, "they need our customs. can't the frogs tell Macron to change his rules?" No, these are our rules. Insisted on by the UK government.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1355437505642975233
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ummm, I'm a big fan of Kwasi, but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this.

We can provide it to the third world countries and indeed that is what we should be doing with our foreign aid
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    rcs1000 said:

It's in case we need to be revaccinated as a result of a new variant to which the current vaccination is not an adequate protection. Clearly some of the scientists think that this is a real risk that we should be preparing for now.

And we also want to ensure that there is a guaranteed market for another UK based manufacturer of vaccines. If there isn't a variant we can use them in our aid efforts. We are building a new industry here on the back of this crisis. It has considerable potential.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

"especially if we need to revaccinate..."

What is the downside? By all accounts, even excluding ongoing requirements for regular vaccinations, the world will still be undergoing the first wave of vaccinations until 2023. It's not like there's serious danger of oversupply at the moment. And it's all a part of building up manufacturing capacity in this country.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is Valneva not an "inactivcated" vaccine, which does not contain live virus, and may be aiui better for allergies and perhaps moral objections - eg to those objecting to the Chimpanzee base of AZT vaccine?

My comment is a little speculative, but here is a commentary on inactivated flu vaccines:
    https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/inactivated-flu-vaccine
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited February 2021

felix said:

Hahahahahahaha!

If EU countries have any sense they will have their own processes and ignoring the failed commission
    Should have done that from the off. If I were an Italian, for example, I`d be bewildered and fuming as to why this has anything to do with the EU (even though in a vote I`d vote to stay in it). I`d be asking: why hasn`t my government protected its citizens?
  • Options

felix said:

Hahahahahahaha!

"EU Commission"?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I do wonder, however, if it is just possible that those who were so convinced that the EU were the adults, the reasonable ones whose views and positions should be given unstinting respect and deference through the long and tedious Brexit saga are taking the opportunity to reflect. It turns out that the EU is not an institution of laws after all. It is a bureaucratic mess, slow and incompetent, with a massive democratic deficit who cannot be relied upon to respect the views of its members (in this case Ireland and Art 16).

Thank the lord we are out of it. Now let's move on together and make the best of our own path.

As I keep pointing out, there is a world of difference between the EU pooing the bed over their vaccine fiasco and the EU stating a core negotiating position that the UK refused to accept. Nor are the EU the reason why we have chosen to leave the EEA. From the EU's self-imposed idiocy to our own - a wine importer whose business cannot function under the rules the UK government demanded be imposed.

Some of the responses are quite funny as well. "Can't you import wine from elsewhere?" No - it doesn't exist. ROW doesn't produce anywhere near enough wine to replace EU volume. Err, "they need our customs. can't the frogs tell Macron to change his rules?" No, these are our rules. Insisted on by the UK government.

Your constant posting of anti brexit stories is rather pointless even more so after these last few days

We are not going back so business will have to adapt
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Is Valneva not an "inactivcated" vaccine, which does not contain live virus, and may be aiui better for allergies and perhaps moral objections - eg to those objecting to the Chimpanzee base of AZT vaccine?

My comment is a little speculative, but here is a commentary on inactivated flu vaccines:
    "but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this."

Doesn't he literally tell you why in his tweet: we may need another round of vaccination in winter 2021/22 as the immunity wanes. No one knows yet.
  • Options
    MattW said:

felix said:

Hahahahahahaha!

"EU Commission"?
    Indeed
  • Options
    MattW said:

felix said:

Hahahahahahaha!

"EU Commission"?
    EU don't commission vaccines...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1356148565807149058

Whole inactive virus type vaccines are extremely easy to update for mutations and don't need regulatory reapproval for safety as the AZ one probably would.

I think having 30m J&J doses for H2 of this year and an additional 40m of these is a good insurance policy should we need to do this all again.

Edit: I'd rather be overprepared than the alternative. If we don't need them then they can be sold/given away.
  • Options

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

"but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this."

Doesn't he literally tell you why in his tweet: we may need another round of vaccination in winter 2021/22 as the immunity wanes. No one knows yet.
    Also, isn't it a French company, so all good for winding them up? ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Never heard of forward planning - makes huge sense after last week's shambles.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

The UK weren't leaving for years until they did. Rejoin is going to take some time to coalesce as a political program but it's going to happen.

It's worth doing purely on the grounds that tories won't like it.
  • Options

Mr. Felix, is it an Inquisition for the purposes of dealing with heretical vaccine manufacturers?

Yup - modelled on the role of Carabosse in the tale of La Belle au Bois Dormant - featuring a huge prick at the end of Act 1.
  • Options
    Thanks @Cyclefree - excellent piece.

The Commission has set back any lingering rejoin hopes in UK by years if not decades in the last week. Sterling work.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Has anyone even got any conception of the thought processes that people must consciously go through to end up with this situation...?

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/british-tourists-among-96-foreigners-161639438.html
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Belgian law, not EU law. Hmm.

The phrase “EU Law” is a misnomer here. There are no EU Courts that parties can commence proceedings in, the CJEU normally gets involved in disputes only on referral from a national court. So you cannot have a contract that is subject to EU Law because there are no EU Courts to litigate one and huge areas of law that the EU has no jurisprudence or legislation, even the basics of contract formation.

There are variations even within states in contract interpretation - the standard basic formula for formation of a contract in England & Wales (offer, acceptance, consideration, intention to create legal relations) isn’t the same in Scotland where no consideration is needed. Similarly, in Scots law, a party is entitled as a matter of legal right to an order compelling performance whereas England says that such an order won’t be given if monetary damages are an adequate remedy. Given such differences exist within the UK after 300 years it’s hardly surprising that laws differ across the EU. Most EU Law takes the form of Directives that Member States have to implement into their own legal systems in specific areas in their own way - hence all the handwringing about “gold plating” Directives when we were a member.
  • Options
    Worrying...

Housebound elderly have 'slipped through cracks' in Covid jabs rollout

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/31/housebound-elderly-have-slipped-cracks-covid-jabs-rollout/

It calls for mobile jabbing units. I thought these were already operational?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Never heard of forward planning - makes huge sense after last week's shambles.
    Either we need it, or it goes to another country to help them out.

Win. Win.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Excellent article from first to last.

"If its word can be trusted."

The EU has made its ways and the way they see us very clear in this last week.

They clearly can't be trusted and we need to move forward accordingly
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I see no reason for us to need it domestically.

But if its being paid for out of international development money and shipped to Covax then that's fair enough.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    eek said:

Only on PB could the response to Cyclefree's article be "but making widgets is actually complicated!"
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But if its being paid for out of international development money and shipped to Covax then that's fair enough.
    Resolves a potential stumbling block post independence as well ;)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The UK weren't leaving for years until they did. Rejoin is going to take some time to coalesce as a political program but it's going to happen.

There were sceptic movements for four decades, and on the right significant ones for nearly three decades by the time of the referendum.

Never say never but frankly there's too much water under the bridge in my eyes for rejoin to ever be plausible. For one thing, even if we were to attempt a Hokey Cokey Brexit I don't think they'd take us back. There is a significant attitude in France especially that Charles de Gaulle was right and it was a mistake to let Britain in. I'm sure an independent Scotland would be welcomed back, but the English? No.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Hmm. But in order to do something that the tories "won't like", a non-tory administration has to be formed. Looking at the post-war record we see that only Atlee, Wilson and Blair have managed it.

• Options
    edited February 2021

DavidL said:

Your constant posting of anti brexit stories is rather pointless even more so after these last few days

I think we know that. The actual issue at the moment (if you read the tweets) is the paperwork requirements are making low volume imports impossible.

Importing a container with a single product on it not a problem - 1 set of paperwork required.
    Start importing different product within a single container and the problems start to occur - as you need 1 set of paperwork per product and any 1 mistake on single form is enough to block the whole container from moving.
    Start splitting pallets into smaller orders and real problems begin. Remember 1 mistake blocks the entire container

We've spent 30+ years with paperwork free exports and imports from the EU. The introduction of paperwork (a lot of which HMRC have zero people who understand it) is making things impossible. And Covid is sweeping this under the table.

Now things will get easier - but they will get easier by people reducing the products they import and export - so less paperwork is required and less paperwork is the only way to avoid mistakes occurring.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Worrying...

Housebound elderly have 'slipped through cracks' in Covid jabs rollout

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/31/housebound-elderly-have-slipped-cracks-covid-jabs-rollout/

It calls for mobile jabbing units. I thought these were already operational?

It worrying for those concerned but, being harsh I accept, the loneliness and isolation of being elderly and housebound does at least give you protection in and of itself. Being in a care home is far more dangerous.
  • Options
    Another demolition of SNP fantasy economics, which the FT published:

https://chokkablog.blogspot.com/2021/01/whats-7-billion-between-friends.html?m=1
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

DavidL said:

You seem to be missing the point that we had (and have) a range of choices whilst being outside the EU, and the choice the government has made is proving catastrophic for many (particularly smaller) import and exporting businesses.

Perhaps, safely retired, you don't care - but your last sentence is glib and unhelpful.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's a delivery for this winter - which we may or may not need (as we don't know how long any of the vaccines will work). Best to have it in hand and if we don't need it send it abroad
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

There were sceptic movements for four decades, and on the right significant ones for nearly three decades by the time of the referendum.

Never say never but frankly there's too much water under the bridge in my eyes for rejoin to ever be plausible. For one thing, even if we were to attempt a Hokey Cokey Brexit I don't think they'd take us back. There is a significant attitude in France especially that Charles de Gaulle was right and it was a mistake to let Britain in. I'm sure an independent Scotland would be welcomed back, but the English? No.
    depends when it becomes an actual possibility. the french go through phases when they want us in there to help power-bloc balance with the germans.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Hmm. But in order to do something that the tories "won't like", a non-tory administration has to be formed. Looking at the post-war record we see that only Atlee, Wilson and Blair have managed it.

Someone will eventually do it. Probably in 2029 would be my guess. While I'd love a period of LDP-style dominance I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    As ever, a really good article. As most of us thought, the EU don't have a leg to stand on legally, although legalities are not the really the main issue, as you have pointed out.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021
    eek said:

DavidL said:

I think we know that. The actual issue at the moment (if you read the tweets) is the paperwork requirements are making low volume imports impossible.

Importing a container with a single product on it not a problem - 1 set of paperwork required.
    Start importing different product within a single container and the problems start to occur - as you need 1 set of paperwork per product and any 1 mistake on single form is enough to block the whole container from moving.
    Start splitting pallets into smaller orders and real problems begin. Remember 1 mistake blocks the entire container

We've spent 30+ years with paperwork free exports and imports from the EU. The introduction of paperwork (a lot of which HMRC have zero people who understand it) is making things impossible. And Covid is sweeping this under the table.

Now things will get easier - but they will get easier by people reducing the products they import and export - so less paperwork is required and less paperwork is the only way to avoid mistakes occurring.
    So people will adjust. That's not impossible.

If people don't want to adjust, especially people with EU flags in their Twitter handle, that's on them not politics.

The idea it is "impossible" to import wines from outside of a customs union would be a strange thought to anyone who likes New World wines.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Robinhood have mass cancelled people's Sell Limit orders for GME.

Sneaky.

Having a sell limit in place on a stock prevents Robinhood from lending out the shares.
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a delivery for this winter - which we may or may not need (as we don't know how long any of the vaccines will work). Best to have it in hand and if we don't need it send it abroad
    The delivery timetable is specifically 2022-2025, this order exists as an insurance policy against mutations as whole inactivated virus vaccines are easy to edit, store, transport and approve. They also tend to have the highest efficacy because the vector is the virus itself.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

depends when it becomes an actual possibility. the french go through phases when they want us in there to help power-bloc balance with the germans.
    Isn’t it usually the other way around? Germans and north European countries co-opting the U.K. to counterbalance the French and Mediterranean bloc?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    alex_ said:

Has anyone even got any conception of the thought processes that people must consciously go through to end up with this situation...?

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/british-tourists-among-96-foreigners-161639438.html

Or the level of entitlement.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Posting about the realities of business trade and how it is impacting small businesses who trade internationally after the biggest change in rules ever applied is not about being anti Brexit but pro UK business. Only an f*** business govt and its fan club would think otherwise.

Of course we are not going back into the EU, but we are not going to sweep under the carpet thousands of related bankruptcies and far far more lost jobs just to pretend Brexit is wonderful either.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

How many decades before you plausibly expect the French will want us back?

Brexit really is like a divorce and just as we can't go back and expect a blowjob, nor are they pining after us. They're not waiting or eager for us to jump back into the marital bed once more.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    edited February 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

"Business will have to adapt" downplays the possibilities that the adaptations include raising prices to cover the extra costs, or giving up on import/export with Europe as more trouble than it's worth.

No question that the last week has been a fiasco, albeit one where the worst excesses were corrected PDQ.

But every successful political leader has thought that their vision would last forever. Churchill. Attlee. Thatcher. Blair. All of them were mistaken. The bits that worked for the generations persisted, the other bits were quietly or loudly dropped.

The art of democracy is the ability for a nation to change its mind. The art of tyranny is to have one more swing of the pendulum and then freeze it.

As I've said before- the Johnson Government has won the right to try this approach to relationships with our neighbours. If it works- great. If it doesn't, we will need a plan B.
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

If people don't want to adjust, especially people with EU flags in their Twitter handle, that's on them not politics.

The idea it is "impossible" to import wines from outside of a customs union would be a strange thought to anyone who likes New World wines.
    I would go and read the thread - there isn't enough available New World wine to replace the EU imports.

And the issue is mainly the one I've pointed out all month - why should I continue to purchase from you when other options are easier.

Which is why the UK is now (note now not back in 2019 when it made sense to do so) telling companies to set up EU subsidiaries so that the paperwork is hidden away internally and stock is sent direct from a warehouse in the EU.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited February 2021

DavidL said:

Posting about the realities of business trade and how it is impacting small businesses who trade internationally after the biggest change in rules ever applied is not about being anti Brexit but pro UK business. Only an f*** business govt and its fan club would think otherwise.

Of course we are not going back into the EU, but we are not going to sweep under the carpet thousands of related bankruptcies and far far more lost jobs just to pretend Brexit is wonderful either.
    The Scxottish fishing business is already adapting by shutting down its activities in Scotland, diverting landings to Denmark, and so on. Perhaps not quite what they expected, but it#s 'adapting' so that's all right then.

Edit: What's no clear to me is how much of it willeven survive. Even with the paltry £23m offered by the Johnson regime, for exporters, but for the UK as a whole - ande maximum clainm 100K per firm.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    No one seems to have commented yet so I will

AZN have found 9 million doses.....

Sorry did AZN just have them lying around unused...if not those 9 million doses are from what someone else was going to receive unless I am misunderstanding... anyone care to explain?
  • Options
    Mr. Above, the incompetence we displayed with the negotiations right from the off (triggering Article 50 before we had a clear negotiating position) has been dire. I feel a lot of sympathy for businesses who are finding things difficult or impossible due to the current situation.

Leaving the EU inevitably means significant change, but the way it happened was very poor.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

"Business will have to adapt" downplays the possibilities that the adaptations include raising prices to cover the extra costs, or giving up on import/export with Europe as more trouble than it's worth.

No question that the last week has been a fiasco, albeit one where the worst excesses were corrected PDQ.

But every successful political leader has thought that their vision would last forever. Churchill. Attlee. Thatcher. Blair. All of them were mistaken. The bits that worked for the generations persisted, the other bits were quietly or loudly dropped.

The art of democracy is the ability for a nation to change its mind. The art of tyranny is to have one more swing of the pendulum and then freeze it.

As I've said before- the Johnson Government has won the right to try this approach to relationships with our neighbours. If it works- great. If it doesn't, we will need a plan B.
    There will definitely be a plan B in the future. Probably a C, D ... Y, Z, AA, AB etc too

This is not the end, it is a new beginning and there will be future chapters. The difference is, if you call Brexit plan B in the first place then the next thing likely to occur will be a plan C, not a reversion back to our membership plan A.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

So, you're saying there's a chance...

The tories turned hating Europe into the gom jabbar test of being British and fair fucks to them for pulling it off. However, they've transcended the rather mercantile and managerial aspects of the issue to turn into a cultural one. And there's two sides on every culture war. There are now a whole tranche of people who want to rejoin because fucking liches like Rees Mogg and Redwood won't like it.

Plenty of people voted Leave just because it was in opposition to what Cameron wanted but know the rejoiners are the insurrectionists.
  • Options
    Valneva CFO on R4 - the EU has yet to order a single dose. Makes point that you can’t just “turn on” vaccine manufacture - you need to prebook raw materials which can take months. Their vaccine is made in Livingston but filled in Stockholm - given the EU’s behaviour I wonder if we should specify ex-EU processing?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Pagan2 said:

Sorry did AZN just have them lying around unused...if not those 9 million doses are from what someone else was going to receive unless I am misunderstanding... anyone care to explain?

Most likely, this is a result of production improving. Which is the real issue here.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

AZN are using their best reasonable efforts to ramp up production.

They notified in advance an expected reduction in production capacity but if they can fix the issues then their production capacity goes back up and they can produce and distribute more.

There's no great conspiracy here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

... or die.
    Brexit will cost money and jobs and that's just a fact.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited February 2021
    Good article

I think lawyers will discuss the contract for some time. David Allen Green supports the AZ position, some of his interlocutors disagree, apparently, article and some great comments here including reference to Belgian Law "good faith" provisions.

But I digress. Whatever the legalise of this, the EU totally fucked this. NI in particular after all that we need to respect the GFA stuff.

Idiots.
  • Options
    Opening this week's copy of The Grocer. Editorial points out that as bad as things are it gets massively worse on 20th April when any food containing ingredients of animal origin will need vet-approved health certificates to export. Which includes the tins of rice pudding and packs of chocolate digestives so beloved of British economic migrants expats on the Costas who simply won't be able to buy them any more.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Once we are in CPTPP, that will be the bolt from the humane killer through the skull of "rejoin". We aren't going to leave that trade grouping to go back to the fragrant embrace of the EU Commission. Especially if the US returns to CPTPP.

There's a clear economic case to join CPTPP. But it's worth doing purely on the grounds that Europhiles won't like it.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

AZN are using their best reasonable efforts to ramp up production.

They notified in advance an expected reduction in production capacity but if they can fix the issues then their production capacity goes back up and they can produce and distribute more.

There's no great conspiracy here.
    And the increase is only 1 million over the 8 million they offered before the EU had their hissy fit.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

I would go and read the thread - there isn't enough available New World wine to replace the EU imports.

And the issue is mainly the one I've pointed out all month - why should I continue to purchase from you when other options are easier.

Which is why the UK is now (note now not back in 2019 when it made sense to do so) telling companies to set up EU subsidiaries so that the paperwork is hidden away internally and stock is sent direct from a warehouse in the EU.
    Sorry but I'm not going to take the word of some random person on Twitter with an EU flag in their handle that there isn't enough wine in the world.

Setting up PO Box offices in the EU if it is a solution that works is a good adaptation. Businesses find their way around regulations better than people give them credit for.
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

Thanks for again demonstrating your ignorance on the subject. I am not remotely interested in wine, but I was interested in the response to someone else who made the same point you did. The production volume of New World wine cannot possibly replace the volume lost from not being able to import viably from the EEA - the wine simply doesn't exist in anywhere near sufficient volume to be imported as a replacement.

So yes, its impossible to replace wine that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good article

I think lawyers will discuss the contract for some time. David Allen Green supports the AZ position, some of his interlocutors disagree, apparently, article and some great comments here

Could you point out any interlocutors who appear to have a clue what they are talking about.

The lawyers I would trust for an opinion that there is nothing in the AZN contract that matches the EU's view of said contract yet you continue to claim that the EU is both right and AZN can magic vaccine up from no where.

Reality is that AZN can't magic up vaccine that doesn't exist and the EU completely screwed up their negotiations by focussing on price rather than delivery speed and then taking 3 months to place the actual order (so delaying things 3 months).

Being honest, I'm actually surprised that AZN have been able to deliver what they have delivered given that additional delay.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited February 2021

Opening this week's copy of The Grocer. Editorial points out that as bad as things are it gets massively worse on 20th April when any food containing ingredients of animal origin will need vet-approved health certificates to export. Which includes the tins of rice pudding and packs of chocolate digestives so beloved of British economic migrants expats on the Costas who simply won't be able to buy them any more.

So presumably they can't order them by courier, or load up the Volvo when they drive down each year? They'd have to get them from the supermarket or deli, which will probably say "foutez-ca pour un jeu des soldats" at the extra price and hassle and just not bother stocking it except at lower levels and higher price?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

AZN had previously offered 8 million doses to the EU Commission.

They have found 1 million doses. To go round 27 countries. At the cost of shredding the reputation of the body looking out for the interests of those 27 countries. And inward investment into those 27 countries.

Way to go...
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jan/31/foreign-office-tells-richard-ratcliffe-to-keep-quiet-as-wifes-release-date-nears

Hmm, the husband strikes me as an attention seeking chump. Hope he doesn't manage to irritate the Iranians into coming up with some other fake charges and convict her for another few years. I fear that's what he's risking. Maybe he's addicted to the publicity.
  • Options
    Mr. Pioneers, problems were that May was cackhanded, the incumbent's an imbecile, and when May's deal (which many now lament not passing) was thrice on the table the DUP and Labour decided to vote against it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021

What @Big_G_NorthWales seems oblivious to is that I am not arguing to rejoin the EU - that ship has sailed. What I am arguing - with evidence - is that the rules insisted on by the UK government have brought a significant number of industries to a stand.

Brexit - leaving the EU - did not have to bring self-harm to our status as a global trading nation. Our government could have understood both how trade worked and the areas where the rules it blindly insisted would be fine would not be fine. Instead we have this.

"We are not going back so business will have to adapt". In the case of the wine industry it will adapt by closing down. The other story I ready this morning was from major Norniron logistics firm McCulla, reporting in detail how the new rules has brought their industry to its knees. These companies will close without either rapid changes or long-term support. They "will have to adapt" by closing down.

The new rules are unworkable. And this is the false dawn before we stop breaching WTO rules and start imposing them fully. They will either need to be renegotiated or we will see chunks of our economic output simply stop. That isn't an argument to rejoin the EU, its an argument to negotiate a trading deal that works.

Sadly people like Big G never understood the difference between the EU and EEA. It is our departure from the latter which has so broken the food and drink industry.

If they're so unworkable then how do we have so many New World wines available to drink? Is the old world seriously so sclerotic that we face a future of only New World wines if we're not in the EEA? Because I'm 100% OK with that even if that happens, but I don't believe it for one second.

I think that's going to far and too unfair on the EU there, I don't believe its really that sclerotic as to be impossible to deal with - and that's coming from me!
  • Options
    AZ's contract with the EU may be subject to Belgian law. But AZ's contract with the UK government is subject to British law, and an EU-based court won't be able to direct AZ to disregard its provisions and redirect vaccines.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

AZN had previously offered 8 million doses to the EU Commission.

They have found 1 million doses. To go round 27 countries. At the cost of shredding the reputation of the body looking out for the interests of those 27 countries. And inward investment into those 27 countries.

Way to go...
    Makes more sense then 9 mill seemed and awfully large number to magically find
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Good article

I think lawyers will discuss the contract for some time. David Allen Green supports the AZ position, some of his interlocutors disagree, apparently, article and some great comments here

Could you point out any interlocutors who appear to have a clue what they are talking about.

The lawyers I would trust for an opinion that there is nothing in the AZN contract that matches the EU's view of said contract yet you continue to claim that the EU is both right and AZN can magic vaccine up from no where.

Reality is that AZN can't magic up vaccine that doesn't exist and the EU completely screwed up their negotiations by focussing on price rather than delivery speed and then taking 3 months to place the actual order (so delaying things 3 months).

Being honest, I'm actually surprised that AZN have been able to deliver what they have delivered given that additional delay.

"I continue to claim"?

I continue to claim fuck all if you read my post.

Or better still, go read the DAG thread and make a judgement for yourself. Or go train as a contract lawyer in Belgium.

There are elements that support both positions. But as I said that is quite irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

What @Big_G_NorthWales seems oblivious to is that I am not arguing to rejoin the EU - that ship has sailed. What I am arguing - with evidence - is that the rules insisted on by the UK government have brought a significant number of industries to a stand.

Brexit - leaving the EU - did not have to bring self-harm to our status as a global trading nation. Our government could have understood both how trade worked and the areas where the rules it blindly insisted would be fine would not be fine. Instead we have this.

"We are not going back so business will have to adapt". In the case of the wine industry it will adapt by closing down. The other story I ready this morning was from major Norniron logistics firm McCulla, reporting in detail how the new rules has brought their industry to its knees. These companies will close without either rapid changes or long-term support. They "will have to adapt" by closing down.

The new rules are unworkable. And this is the false dawn before we stop breaching WTO rules and start imposing them fully. They will either need to be renegotiated or we will see chunks of our economic output simply stop. That isn't an argument to rejoin the EU, its an argument to negotiate a trading deal that works.

Sadly people like Big G never understood the difference between the EU and EEA. It is our departure from the latter which has so broken the food and drink industry.

My sole comment is not that the Government could have understood how trade worked, the Government should (have moved heaven and Earth to) understand how trade worked and then used knowledge when negotiating with the EU

Instead the Government merely assumed it knew how trade worked, thought that tariffs were what killed trade (nope, hassle and risk kills trade and paperwork is both a hassle and a risk (of it being wrong)) and because of that have made a complete ass of the job.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Sorry but I'm not going to take the word of some random person on Twitter with an EU flag in their handle that there isn't enough wine in the world.

Setting up PO Box offices in the EU if it is a solution that works is a good adaptation. Businesses find their way around regulations better than people give them credit for.
    Absolutely. We can ignore the opinions on wine made by a man who has spent 29 years importing wines because Philip is more of an expert on the subject than he is.
  • Options

NOBODY expects the EU Inquisition.

Because they couldn't believe it would ever get beyond the planning stage, after sixty four committee meetings. Followed by sixty four very good lunches.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Once we are in CPTPP, that will be the bolt from the humane killer through the skull of "rejoin". We aren't going to leave that trade grouping to go back to the fragrant embrace of the EU Commission. Especially if the US returns to CPTPP.

There's a clear economic case to join CPTPP. But it's worth doing purely on the grounds that Europhiles won't like it.
    I can remember when your oft repeated line was "Which hospitals will you close to pay for rejoining?"

Presumably the 400bn quid of borrowing that followed slightly took the steam out of that position.
This discussion has been closed.