Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503

Meanwhile, in markets world, it seems the GameStop rampers are going after Silver...

Concise summary here for anyone who wants to dip but not plunge -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55889331
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Covid anecdote time:

Colleague in his 20s. Caught Covid early in the first wave. Still can't taste anything.

Yeah I know a few people my sort of age, late 20s, who have the same issue. Sounds kind of scary to be honest.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    eek said:

Rule 1 of VDL club is

1) Blame a subordinate. A specific subordinate

She has done this multiple times in her career.
    So they screwed up their export ban by not looking or asking about the specific details and if there was any blockers to the plan.

That doesn't explain the screw up over the vaccines (the lack of which is why they need to try to stop the export of vaccines already bought and paid for by another country).
    Rule 2 of VDL club

2) There is a different subordinate to blame for each fuckup.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

It occurs to me that for real skip fire quality Cherry might stand on the list for the ISP (not sure how far they're along the line on confirming candidates) on an explicitly Salmondite ticket, he's been suspiciously quiet on endorsing any one person or party for May. Of course it would end any hopes of leading the SNP and FM-ship, and would be a big gamble (pollster aren't even mentioning ISP on their Scottish polls so far).
    Not likely but the days of political sure things are long gone.

Lolz, Cherry isn't that stupid.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,120
    edited February 2021
    Carnyx said:

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.
    https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1356236028978278403

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.
    "Camp" = stereotypical gay man. Edit: think Soho boho 1960s-70s.

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
    Sure, but even then has happy campers as a phrase had anything to do with being a camp gay person?

Its possible I suppose but if so I had no idea. If not then camp and campers would be a coincidence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    felix said:

Seems even the EC can have too much 'solidarity' if there's a job at stake. How are they doing today? still smashing up Africa?
    Word was she specifically stepped in and took personal control. Presumably she thought there'd be plenty glory in it for her. "The woman who saved the EU from Covid."

Oops.
  • Options

Meanwhile, in markets world, it seems the GameStop rampers are going after Silver...

No. WallStreetBets hate this silver ramp. They think they are being used.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

Surely that's the lesson here. Do not bet big on any of these 'alternative' markets. Crypto, commodities, over shorted rubbish companies.

Use as a hedge.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Rule 1 of VDL club is

The problem is this time there is no where to shuffle her off to.
    She is stuck there at the summit, true.

But, then whatever VDL does is by definition excellent. How could it not be? If it were not, that would suggest that the those who appointed her made a mistake.

So, 'bad' becomes 'good'.

For example, I predict VDL will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for combatting vaccine nationalism with bold calls against countries that are hoarders.

She has bravely stood up for internationalism against the narrow interests of individual countries.
  • Options

eek said:

Rule 1 of VDL club is

So they screwed up their export ban by not looking or asking about the specific details and if there was any blockers to the plan.

That doesn't explain the screw up over the vaccines (the lack of which is why they need to try to stop the export of vaccines already bought and paid for by another country).
    Rule 2 of VDL club

2) There is a different subordinate to blame for each fuckup.
    "Jesus Christ, see you, you are a fucking omnishambles, that's what you are. You're like that coffee machine, you know: from bean to cup, you fuck up."
  • Options

felix said:

Seems even the EC can have too much 'solidarity' if there's a job at stake. How are they doing today? still smashing up Africa?
    Word was she specifically stepped in and took personal control. Presumably she thought there'd be plenty glory in it for her. "The woman who saved the EU from Covid."

Oops.
    Rule 3 of VDL club

- Brief journalists about how you are going to make radical, brilliant changes

Rule 4 of VDL club

- Brief journalists that you had nothing to do with the stupid, incompetent changes that some idiot made. See Rules 1 & 2
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
    Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
    Simon Clarke though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

Cue yet more hysteria on PB about variants

Mink

Kent

South Africa

For reference: “There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it. Virus variation and mutation occurs naturally. The more we suppress new variants the more we will avoid variants which cause problems for treatment or vaccination.”

The Novavax vaccine has got ~60% efficacy against SA COVID but has ~90% efficacy against the prevalent strains here. It's still ok, but we won't be able to go back to "normal" if it became the dominant strain because our herd immunity from vaccines may not be enough to prevent mass hospitalisations.

It's definitely an argument in favour of completely closing the border to all travel except freight and medical staff.
    I posted above though about protection from severe disease (still very high with the SA variant)

But not total as it does against normal and Kent COVID and that's with Novavax which on a like for like comparison is the same as Pfizer, Moderna and AZ 12 week.

There are rumblings that all vaccines are only partially effective against Brazilian COVID many of them below the 50% threshold to get approval. The Chinese blame Brazil COVID for why two of their vaccines have got such wide efficacy ranges for their two clinical trials done in vs out of Brazil.

As I said, sealing off the border and imposing 14 day quarantine for all incoming travellers is the only way to save the summer for us, the government needs to act now and then ask J&J and Valneva to adjust their vaccines to to the Brazil, SA and other variants so we stay ahead of the curve and can slowly begin to reopen and take a flu style jab every winter for all over 50s and hope that the existing immunisation is enough to get young people through it should they get infected by a variant or use the new Valneva reserve to jab everyone once a year in August to October.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It occurs to me that for real skip fire quality Cherry might stand on the list for the ISP (not sure how far they're along the line on confirming candidates) on an explicitly Salmondite ticket, he's been suspiciously quiet on endorsing any one person or party for May. Of course it would end any hopes of leading the SNP and FM-ship, and would be a big gamble (pollster aren't even mentioning ISP on their Scottish polls so far).

I did say not likely.

What I'm really wondering per May election is what is the ISP for, its USP as it were? Unless Salmond jumps in I can see them having a Rise level performance. Their adherents are currently pushing the line that twitter polls are more reflective of their true chances rather than actual polls by accredited pollsters; that's giving off a real limp dick energy.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    RobD said:

alex_ said:
    The JCVI seem confident the strategy is working. No doubt it'll be very clear in a few weeks who is right and who is wrong, politicians or scientists.
    I was just amused at the argument that we were concentrating excessively on one vaccine...
  • Options
    How nice that the Commissioners have total autonomy over their areas without mentioning it to the president.

In fairness around budget time rows here we sometimes get PMs leaking it's the Treasurys fault an unpopular measure is included they u turn on, as though the PM never sees it until the chancellor reads it out.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    Carnyx said:

Bings were waste tips from coal mines, at least hereabouts. Sometimes they would catch fire and burn slowly for years, with the small percentage of coal they contained.

Still there in West Lothian
  • Options
    They should pick the stronger horse next time.

Unless this is a marathon not a sprint.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

Never mind the market risk, someone somewhere is going to do something stupid and get done for market abuse. And then they’ll be a popular cause because they were “standing up against big investors”. Sigh...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Their adherents are currently pushing the line that twitter polls are more reflective of their true chances rather than actual polls by accredited pollsters;
    When will people learn?
  • Options

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

What I'm really wondering per May election is what is the ISP for, its USP as it were? Unless Salmond jumps in I can see them having a Rise level performance. Their adherents are currently pushing the line that twitter polls are more reflective of their true chances rather than actual polls by accredited pollsters; that's giving off a real limp dick energy.
    The ISP is for exactly the kind of people who thought RISE was going to do great.

The great anti-Sturgeon coup is putting all its eggs in the Salmond enquiry basket and even that is botched.

With Cherry lacking the guts to stand for Ed Central they don't have a figure lined up to take over even if #TheSturge (sorry, making up my own shit doomed to fail Twitter nickname there) is toppled.

So say the enquiry forces Sturgeon to step down, who from the Cherry wing takes over? And they'd just be a seat warmer for Cherry, who must be painfully aware that she herself would be a seat warmer for Salmond.

At best! They have rather got over excited at winning the NEC places on shite turnout.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    Are there odds for a UvdL ouster before Easter?
  • Options

Rule 1 of VDL club is

But, then whatever VDL does is by definition excellent. How could it not be? If it were not, that would suggest that the those who appointed her made a mistake.
    Fine European tradition, I believe Pericles made a similar point.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
    Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).
    Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

/Crawls back under the rock I've apparently been living under.
    I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
    Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
    It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
    That's an excellent point to consider.
    Not close to this at all but surely Sindy's chances in another Ref would be maximized by having Sturgeon leading the campaign?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sure, but even then has happy campers as a phrase had anything to do with being a camp gay person?

Its possible I suppose but if so I had no idea. If not then camp and campers would be a coincidence.
    I have never seen “happy campers” in any context other than just talking about squabbling. People are making a big stretch. The author of that tweet may or may not be a nasty piece of work, but there’s nothing wrong with that tweet.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2021
    The EU has remained totally united.

Well, not the Commission bit of it, you understand. There they are 'united' like ferrets in a sack.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,139
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

The ISP is for exactly the kind of people who thought RISE was going to do great.

The great anti-Sturgeon coup is putting all its eggs in the Salmond enquiry basket and even that is botched.

With Cherry lacking the guts to stand for Ed Central they don't have a figure lined up to take over even if #TheSturge (sorry, making up my own shit doomed to fail Twitter nickname there) is toppled.

So say the enquiry forces Sturgeon to step down, who from the Cherry wing takes over? And they'd just be a seat warmer for Cherry, who must be painfully aware that she herself would be a seat warmer for Salmond.

At best! They have rather got over excited at winning the NEC places on shite turnout.
    Cherry didn't have the option to stand - it was barred.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Off topic.
    I would hate to be a leaseholder with a flat , with cladding that is now classed as dangerous.
    The costs to them are eye-watering.
    Many will face bankruptcy for no fault of ther own.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Rule 1 of VDL club is

She is stuck there at the summit, true.

So, 'bad' becomes 'good'.

For example, I predict VDL will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for combatting vaccine nationalism with bold calls against countries that are hoarders.

She has bravely stood up for internationalism against the narrow interests of individual countries.
    Roll over, Beethoven. The new EU anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQgQIMlwWw
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,311
    One result of the vaccine mess in the EU is that people will have to take London seriously again. When the UK government evaluated the EU scheme and concluded that it would introduce 'costly delays', no-one paid any attention and it was just reduced to a Brexit story.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Are there odds for a UvdL ouster before Easter?

If you look at prominent radical Eurosceptic groups like Leave.EU, its quite clear even they did not think they could get things this right. Even they did not believe their own critique of the EU to this extent.

Events have overtaken them, in some respects. The EU isn't as bad as Nigel Farage says it is. It's worse.
  • Options
    Any scope for UvdL to move on to head the IMF, the World Bank, NATO or the UN? Where else could Mme Widmerpool land?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....I would guess 350k for UK as a whole.

ITS A DISASTER..........Runs around like a headless chicken.

Not a disaster but well below the required rate.

Disappointing.
    It's up 43% on last week and we're ahead of schedule on a rolling 7 day basis...
    Indeed. But below the required daily rate by a fair chalk.

That is all I am saying. It's perfectly recoverable.
    No, we're not behind the required rate, at all.

England is now on 9.08m people having had their first vaccine, with 2.35m in the last week and 2 full weeks until the deadline. Carrying on at the same pace with no increase could get them to 13.8m people by Valentine's day, vs the published target of 12m.

We are comfortably ahead of schedule and clearing going to beat the target.
    No, the rate today was behind the required rate.

(P.S. The overall target is 15m I think.)

https://www.gponline.com/uk-covid-19-vaccine-programme-halfway-15m-mid-february-target/article/1705853

If you want to continue to defend your flatly wrong attempt to look at a single day's data, you should have looked at the cumulative position on that day, which is unequivocally ahead of target.

All the numbers in my post were for England only, and the target for England, which we will utterly smash, is 12m by mid Feb.

Details all here given you seem a bit behind the facts -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan
    Required daily rate as of this morning was 395k/day.

That will be slightly higher now after we fell short today.

My analysis remains the same:

The Valentine's Day target is the right target.

We can and should beat it.

But let's keep the pressure on.
    I think you are assuming the data we get is like watching the cricket - i.e. we see an over, we know how many runs have been scored. As with all other data through the pandemic, we cannot assume the same for data. We are extremely lucky to see the level of data we get, but there are limits to that. Some has to get the information from all the locations to a central database. It almost certainly should not be used as a 'on this day, this many happened resource', despite appearing to be that. The weird saw-tooth nature of the vaccinations graph should tell you this. Why should the number increase every day of the week? It almost certainly doesn't, its an artifact of the data gathering, and added to that, the NHS is not a 24/7 service. There will be weekend effects.

We are achieving an incredible feat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Happy Campers" is an odd usage. The usual formulation is "not a happy camper". Still, it's Simon Clarke so god knows what the deal is here. I'm inclined to move on. He's just not worth it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

Yes she did. She could have stood but didn't want to resign her Westminster seat.

She wants to be leader but she doesn't personally want to risk anything
  • Options

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209583/Is-Kent-variant-REALLY-deadlier-original-Covid-strains.html

Kent variant may be no more deadly after all, despite many on here repeating project terror as gospel.

The dangers of drawing conclusions without enough data. I saw a suggestion that the ONS figures may be inflated by past infections with the new variant (possibly inferring a lower IFR). Again - not proven.
  • Options

One result of the vaccine mess in the EU is that people will have to take London seriously again. When the UK government evaluated the EU scheme and concluded that it would introduce 'costly delays', no-one paid any attention and it was just reduced to a Brexit story.

It feels like a bit of a taste of the future to me. The reality of having two competing, large (even if one is larger, it’s not as dominant as, say, the USA vs Canada) markets right next to each other. Every time we do something differently, aiming for the same result, whoever is less successful will feel the pressure of comparison. Over time that might be a good thing.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Any scope for UvdL to move on to head the IMF, the World Bank, NATO or the UN? Where else could Mme Widmerpool land?

Dunny-auf-den-Wold parish council?

(Sorry Dunnyites. But it's for the greater good....)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Bings were waste tips from coal mines, at least hereabouts. Sometimes they would catch fire and burn slowly for years, with the small percentage of coal they contained.

Still there in West Lothian
    The big red ones are oil shale rapidly being dug out and converted to motorway hard core etc. - but I'm sure there are some coal ones too (certainly visible from the air ladst time I lfew out of Turnhouse).
  • Options

Covid anecdote time:

Colleague in his 20s. Caught Covid early in the first wave. Still can't taste anything.

Yeah I know a few people my sort of age, late 20s, who have the same issue. Sounds kind of scary to be honest.
    Now that is shit. Eating is one of life's great pleasures.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).
    Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
    Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
    It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
    Not close to this at all but surely Sindy's chances in another Ref would be maximized by having Sturgeon leading the campaign?
    It's an interesting question whether her tactics would be the right one. Haven't really been thinking about it, mind. Too much to happen before then in terms of the wider context.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I think her worst case scenario is she is asked privately not to have another term and she gets backing for some other international post.

It's just too embarrassing and damaging to too many to force her resignation or see the whole commission to resign.

Its reminding me of Senate Republicans.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716
    Scott_xP said:
    The whole interview is fantastically interesting and shows so clearly why there was no 'right' way to vote or 'right' result of the referendum; Hammond's difficulties and doubts are identical to leave supporters ones.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/interview-pdf/?personid=42190

• Options
    Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

Yes she did. She could have stood but didn't want to resign her Westminster seat.

Quite correct, sorry.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You would think, but no, apparently the return of the king is what's needed. Eck can cure scrofula, unite the party and gain indy by some vague process of legal cases & mumble, mumble. I saw one excitable person tweeting in the Britnat vaccine nationalist style so familiar on PB that Salmond would also sort out Scotland's vaccination roll out.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Happy Campers" is an odd usage. The usual formulation is "not a happy camper". Still, it's Simon Clarke so god knows what the deal is here. I'm inclined to move on. He's just not worth it.
    Very sensible.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:
    The whole interview is fantastically interesting and shows so clearly why there was no 'right' way to vote or 'right' result of the referendum; Hammond's difficulties and doubts are identical to leave supporters ones.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/interview-pdf/?personid=42190

It's a superb interview. How easy it is to forget that we used to have grown-ups in the Cabinet.
  • Options

Covid anecdote time:

Now that is shit. Eating is one of life's great pleasures.
    Thank god for that first full stop
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

In Florida now cases are falling and

every Floridian has a right to operate a business.
    every Floridian has a right to work.
    every Floridian child has a right to an in person education.

If you are a restaurant worker they have your back.
    If you are a hairdresser they have your back.

Go Florida!

I wonder what exactly could be different between the UK and Florida in February....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

I think her worst case scenario is she is asked privately not to have another term and she gets backing for some other international post.

It's just too embarrassing and damaging to too many to force her resignation or see the whole commission to resign.

I'm not so sure.

The EU vaccination program is such a mess that sacking the lot of them so they carry the can might be the only way to resolve the issue.

That isn't true today but in 3 to 6 months time when the UK is out of lockdown with single figure death figures while the EU still has problems it may be required.

But they won't do it today as someone needs to carry the blame can.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,899
    edited February 2021
    Yorkcity said:

Off topic.
    I would hate to be a leaseholder with a flat , with cladding that is now classed as dangerous.

I think it is a good call by Lab to chase this. Govt very much need to have a way out of this now.

But I have yet to see any real proposals for going after the insulation companies.

At the moment it all seems to be about narratives for victims with votes.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    18,607 Cases today

The steepness of the up and down of the curve of this wave is striking
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

I'm not so sure.

The EU vaccination program is such a mess that sacking the lot of them so they carry the can might be the only way to resolve the issue.

That isn't true today but in 3 to 6 months time when the UK is out of lockdown with single figure death figures while the EU still has problems it may be required.

But they won't do it today as someone needs to carry the blame can.
    They will cling to the likely fact that the UK death rate will still be higher, and they should have lots of vaccines in a few months. Gives an out down the line.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You would think, but no, apparently the return of the king is what's needed. Eck can cure scrofula, unite the party and gain indy by some vague process of legal cases & mumble, mumble. I saw one excitable person tweeting in the Britnat vaccine nationalist style so familiar on PB that Salmond would also sort out Scotland's vaccination roll out.
    Is there anything the man cannot do?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

Never mind the market risk, someone somewhere is going to do something stupid and get done for market abuse. And then they’ll be a popular cause because they were “standing up against big investors”. Sigh...
    I'm unsure on this. I'm very anti much of the IB/HF sector despite (or perhaps because of) spending much of my career in it. In essence I feel it remunerates itself well in excess of the real value it adds and thus makes everyone else poorer. It is kind of the equivalent of a fat kid overconsuming. I can't prove this - and weighty sounding contra arguments can be made - but I intuit it quite strongly. So, three cheers for a part of it getting screwed by a dose of people power is my natural and immediate response. And indeed I do feel that. But then I see Trumpy types - including the ghastly Ted Cruz - are also cheering and it gives me pause.
  • Options

18,607 Cases today

Its good, but I'm more interested in the nascent drop in the admissions data. This is where we expect the effect of vaccinating the elderly and infirm to be felt first (not the cases total). Starting to look like we are seeing a significant drop now.
  • Options

18,607 Cases today

Actually running a reasonable level of restrictions this time is crunching the cases compared to autumn.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

18,607 Cases today

Actually running a reasonable level of restrictions this time is crunching the cases compared to autumn.
    It is. Sad to say that if we had stuck at in December, we could have saved many thousands.
  • Options
    No blue envelope to keep for posterity, just a personal phone invitation to a jabbing on Wednesday. :smile:
  • Options
    On the Myanmar coup, I wonder if part of the calculation for the Generals is that Aung Sung Suu Kyi is not an international darling anymore. Less blowback perhaps.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    Totally off topic but sometimes you just have to say "Dear god who thought this was a good idea"

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/microsoft-chatbot-patent-dead-b1789979.html?s=03
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    MattW said:

Yorkcity said:

Off topic.

I think it is a good call by Lab to chase this. Govt very much need to have a way out of this now.

But I have yet to see any real proposals for going after the insulation companies.

I don't think there is enough money in the insulation companies (nor the builders) to pay the bills that need to be paid.
  • Options
    In "incredibly deeply suspicious Covid news" I would be taking a massive sideways glance at Georgia.

One of the reasons I got out of the Georgia Senate run off market was that I expected a massive third wave surge of deaths that didn't come despite cases going through the roof.

However since the election, indeed starting on the very day after the election, a massive wave of back dated deaths have been released and continues to be released.

Georgia was indeed going through a surge of deaths that peaked around the day of the election, exactly as I thought there would be.

Yes, I am suggesting political interference in holding back the numbers.
  • Options

Go Florida!

I wonder what exactly could be different between the UK and Florida in February....
    Weather? Spain should be out of lockdown any moment then...
  • Options

Alistair said:

18,607 Cases today

It is. Sad to say that if we had stuck at in December, we could have saved many thousands.
    It seems the public at large hasn't grasped just how many people have died in Dec/January.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

18,607 Cases today

Its good, but I'm more interested in the nascent drop in the admissions data. This is where we expect the effect of vaccinating the elderly and infirm to be felt first (not the cases total). Starting to look like we are seeing a significant drop now.
    Yes, the England data is actually really positive.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Totally off topic but sometimes you just have to say "Dear god who thought this was a good idea"

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/microsoft-chatbot-patent-dead-b1789979.html?s=03

I think there's probably a market for it. And this

The specific person may also correspond to oneself (e.g., the user creating/training the chat bot,” Microsoft also describes – implying that living users could train a digital replacement in the event of their death
  • Options

Go Florida!

Except they have had 70% higher rate of cases per capita than the UK. I wonder how our health service would have coped with that?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

18,607 Cases today

Once we have more data, it will be interesting to compare the post-peak drop in cases with the equivalent point from Lockdown 1. One would hope it would be faster this time due to the vaccine.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

I don't know. It's a bit shite at present, but if anyone ever invents a decent-grade bit of kit on the level of a Chelgrian soulkeeper ((c) I. M. Banks) that's Microsoft ready to claim their cut. And everyone would want one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,178
    Bizarre and unexplained story...

The Same Deadly Vitamin Deficiency Is Ravaging All Kinds of Animals
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/01/vitamin-b1-thiamine/617884/
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    eek said:

MattW said:

Yorkcity said:

Off topic.

I don't think there is enough money in the insulation companies (nor the builders) to pay the bills that need to be paid.
    I agree.
    Its hard to understand that the cladding was approved by building inspectors , fire service and architects as safe.
  • Options

Go Florida!

Except they have had 70% higher rate of cases per capita than the UK. I wonder how our health service would have coped with that?
    How did theirs? and why isn;t our health service like that?

Maybe they had more deaths per capita as a result.

But look, their children are in SCHOOL. Their children aren't seeing their lives completely destroyed by lockdown. Many of ours are.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

18,607 Cases today

week on week it's a 16% fall so the lowest in quite a while, but tests were 39% higher than last week so stil seems very encouraging
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Assuming there would be another referendum with Sturgeon in charge.
  • Options

Go Florida!

We spend a fraction of what they do on healthcare per head.
  • Options
    All heading in the right direction:

• Options
    Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

The SNP wanted her to pay £10,000 to stand, to cover cost of a Westminster by-election.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/joanna-cherry-will-not-seek-holyrood-nomination-due-snp-rules-change-2929819
  • Options

Go Florida!

Maybe they had more deaths per capita as a result.

But look, their children are in SCHOOL. Their children aren't seeing their lives completely destroyed by lockdown. Many of ours are.

No they really aren't. It is not ideal but it is not destroying lives. Catching Covid and dying on the other hand does destroy lives. As does listening to idiots like you.
  • Options
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Go Florida!

Weather? Spain should be out of lockdown any moment then...
    Only southern Spain on the coast is springlike by February - we've has 23+ degrees for a week or so now - but this year the cases are still soaring in our area despite near lockdown with no signs of them easing,
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MattW said:

Yorkcity said:

Off topic.

It's a scandal. Loads of people (many in straitened circumstances) losing more money than they can afford and/or trapped and unable to move. If we weren't in a time where Covid and Brexit eat all the pies it would be all over the media and a very hot political potato.

(Sorry about pies AND potatoes there. You can tell I've got dinner on the brain.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Shag civil servants?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm unsure on this. I'm very anti much of the IB/HF sector despite (or perhaps because of) spending much of my career in it. In essence I feel it remunerates itself well in excess of the real value it adds and thus makes everyone else poorer. It is kind of the equivalent of a fat kid overconsuming. I can't prove this - and weighty sounding contra arguments can be made - but I intuit it quite strongly. So, three cheers for a part of it getting screwed by a dose of people power is my natural and immediate response. And indeed I do feel that. But then I see Trumpy types - including the ghastly Ted Cruz - are also cheering and it gives me pause.
    My fear is that the crowd seems to be picking on stocks that are not undervalued, but are in fact quite properly on a down swing. There’s a legitimate argument about short selling, but I can’t help but be cynical and assume that the first ones to propose this crowd movement have long since sold their positions and have just milked everyone else for what they can get.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited February 2021

Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

The SNP wanted her to pay £10,000 to stand, to cover cost of a Westminster by-election.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/joanna-cherry-will-not-seek-holyrood-nomination-due-snp-rules-change-2929819
    'It comes after suggestions that the SNP's ruling National Executive Committee could bring in a new requirement for sitting MPs wishing to stand for Holyrood to secure at least £10,000 of funding towards the subsequent by-election campaign.'

'Could' doing a bit of work there. Was the requirement brought in?
    If so I'd assume it would apply equally to all WM to Holyrood transfers?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Keep his hands to himself?
  • Options

All heading in the right direction:

Hopefully it continues but its remarkably linear descent so far. It ought to be more logarithmic. If it continues at this rate (it won't) then two weeks today when the deadline for vaccinating the first round ends there would be no cases reported.

Hopefully it gets as close to that as possible. I would like to see the test positivity rate back under 1% ideally.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,051

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

My fear is that the crowd seems to be picking on stocks that are not undervalued, but are in fact quite properly on a down swing. There’s a legitimate argument about short selling, but I can’t help but be cynical and assume that the first ones to propose this crowd movement have long since sold their positions and have just milked everyone else for what they can get.
    Unacceptable.
    There are highly paid professionals who usually do that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,166
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Assuming there would be another referendum with Sturgeon in charge.
    Yep - the success of Indy's chances is inextricably bound with Boris in No 10 and Nicola in Bute House. Which is why there will be no referendum so long as that condition applies.

Its' a Catch-22.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I did say not likely.

'It comes after suggestions that the SNP's ruling National Executive Committee could bring in a new requirement for sitting MPs wishing to stand for Holyrood to secure at least £10,000 of funding towards the subsequent by-election campaign.'

'Could' doing a bit of work there. Was the requirement brought in?
    If so I'd assume it would apply equally to all WM to Holyrood transfers?
    It was passed as a resolution of the NEC .
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1318217/snp-edinburgh-central-scotland-elections-holyrood-latest-nicola-sturgeon
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The allure of the "king in exile" perhaps. Or, stretching it, like when a big act doesn't release an album for ages. They grow in mystique and appeal. The Happy Mondays spring to mind. Or Kate Bush.

But more seriously, Salmond is clearly a gifted and capable politician, top drawer in many ways, but he does have a slippery and ever so slightly "off" vibe to me. And whilst I fully accept the verdicts on the 'sexpest' matter - and can believe there were some dark political motives there - nevertheless just based on what is known and accepted about his behaviour in that arena it doesn't make me want to revise my opinion upwards.
This discussion has been closed.