Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

Isn't big JC QC running for Holyrood in the summer?

Nope, she pulled out of the Edinburgh Central candidate contest cos the rules weren’t fair or something.

Election is beginning of May so not that far away.
    No. They changed the rules so sitting MPs couldn't stand - a new and novel concept for the SNP - she would have had to quit the commons. Coincidentally, by a sheer fluke, this benefitted Angus Robertson ex-MP who by the most unlikely of circumstances happens to be on Team Nicola.
    I just don't understand why Sturgeon Central would ramp the internal divisions up like this? Clearing the decks in advance of Eck's big day?

Lesley Riddoch, Ruth Wishart, et al, all reaching for the smelling salts.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What was she sacked for? I thought she was one of the better SNP MPs.
    Jeezo.

That's a major escalation of hostilities in the civil war.

Appreciate that this will likely pass non-Scot PBers by, but defenestrating Cherry of all people is an extraordinarily provocative thing to do.
    ‘Sokay, WM increasingly irrelevant according to an authoritative source.

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1356233347928883206?s=21
    She'll become briefly very popular with opponents if she were to become one of those rent a quote politicians broadcasters use when they want someone to criticise their own parties .
    Your crystal ball is working well this afternoon..
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Andy_JS said:

The UK spent more than the entire EU on vaccine development according to this:

“The UK committed £1.67billion on Covid vaccines before it was known whether they would be effective - more than the £1.57billion the EU spent on behalf of 27 countries, with Britain spending £25.00 per capita compared to £3.51 for Brussels. “

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209689/How-EU-failed-plan-vaccines-rollout.html

No wonder they are in such a bad place.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,261

Cue yet more hysteria on PB about variants

Mink

Kent

South Africa

For reference: “There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it. Virus variation and mutation occurs naturally. The more we suppress new variants the more we will avoid variants which cause problems for treatment or vaccination.”

“There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it."

That is very carefully worded....regulated vaccine...we know one of the most recent to announce was nowhere near as effective against it AND (this is very important) as part of their study they found significant numbers of people who had been reinfected.
    In a sub-study of 6,000 volunteers in South Africa, Stoffels said, the J&J vaccine was 89% effective at preventing severe disease. In the South Africa portion of the trial, 95% of cases were infections with the South African variant.

“I am overwhelmed by the fact that this vaccine protected against severe disease even in South Africa,” said Glenda Gray, the joint lead investigator of the South African vaccine trial.

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

maaarsh said:

Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....I would guess 350k for UK as a whole.

ITS A DISASTER..........Runs around like a headless chicken.

Not a disaster but well below the required rate.

Disappointing.
    It's up 43% on last week and we're ahead of schedule on a rolling 7 day basis...
    Indeed. But below the required daily rate by a fair chalk.

That is all I am saying. It's perfectly recoverable.
    It isn't. You're talking complete and utter balderdash.

The Government base their statistics on a weekly rate and yesterday's figure is actually massively encouraging.

A great lesson: when you're in a hole (i.e. wrong) don't keep digging ;)
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....I would guess 350k for UK as a whole.

Disappointing.
    It's up 43% on last week and we're ahead of schedule on a rolling 7 day basis...

No, we're not behind the required rate, at all.

England is now on 9.08m people having had their first vaccine, with 2.35m in the last week and 2 full weeks until the deadline. Carrying on at the same pace with no increase could get them to 13.8m people by Valentine's day, vs the published target of 12m.

We are comfortably ahead of schedule and clearing going to beat the target.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Disappointing.
    What does this pattern tell you?

That she hasn't got a clue what she's talking about
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1356148565807149058

Ummm, I'm a big fan of Kwasi, but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this.

Robert, perhaps the reasoning is to build a capacity and expertise to make multiple different types of vaccine:

1. Oxford/AZN gives us the ability (capacity and expertise) to make genetically modified adenovirus vaccines
    2. Making Pfizer vaccines idc gives us the ability to make mRNA vaccines
    3. Making Novavax vaccines gives us the ability to make protein/adjuvant vaccines
    4. Valneva gives us the ability to make inactivated virus vaccine (the only such instance against COVID in Europe).

So you can see, it is not just a portfolio of COVID vaccines we are building up, but a portfolio of different types of vaccines and their production - which gives us more ways of responding to future pandemics too.
    My guess would be that the government probably fairly confident we will have to do at least all the oldies again come the winter.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

The Brittas Empire was a somewhat mediocre 1990s sitcom. Nothing like as funny as Men Behaving Badly or Red Dwarf, for example.

I love Chris Barrie, but I couldn't get past his annoying accent.

No link to SKS there then.....
  • Options
    The NHS has updated its death stats.

As of January 28, some 531 healthy under 60s have died from Covid-19 in England.

Compare this cohort to 60+ with pre-existing conditions: 62,207.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.
    https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1356236028978278403

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289

I just don't understand why Sturgeon Central would ramp the internal divisions up like this? Clearing the decks in advance of Eck's big day?

A dead cat to distract from both the shocking vaccine figures in Scotland?

Or the last desperate acts from a dying regime?

Take your pick. Grab your popcorn...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Disappointing.
    What does this pattern tell you?

That she hasn't got a clue what she's talking about
    And that 350k would represent a significant increase on the corresponding day of the previous cycle
  • Options

The NHS has updated its death stats.

As of January 28, some 531 healthy under 60s have died from Covid-19 in England.

Compare this cohort to 60+ with pre-existing conditions: 62,207.

I think the stat we all want to know is how many healthy under 60s have now been left with a serious underlying condition after having covid. At the moment it is all anacedotal.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

No, it's wouldn't even be below the "required daily rate" (assuming you're referring to the rather stretching mid-Feb target), even if every day from now until mid-Feb was also a Sunday.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,681
    Scottish Government will be hoping that the opening of large centres in the big cities give a significant boost to overall numbers -would be very good for them (and us) to see Scotland topping the home nation table for a while. If not, there's always the army again, but for political reasons I doubt it's a first resort.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520

Disappointing.
    Weekend numbers

Indeed, but well below the required rate.

Don't focus on one day reporting figures - get the 7 day average. Steadily increasing over time.
  • Options

The Brittas Empire was a somewhat mediocre 1990s sitcom. Nothing like as funny as Men Behaving Badly or Red Dwarf, for example.

I love Chris Barrie, but I couldn't get past his annoying accent.

No link to SKS there then.....
    Daft accent. Daft lop-sided haircut. Anal attention to detail.
    Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen SKS and Chris Barrie in the same room...?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

England is now on 9.08m people having had their first vaccine, with 2.35m in the last week and 2 full weeks until the deadline. Carrying on at the same pace with no increase could get them to 13.8m people by Valentine's day, vs the published target of 12m.

No, the rate today was behind the required rate.

(P.S. The overall target is 15m I think.)

https://www.gponline.com/uk-covid-19-vaccine-programme-halfway-15m-mid-february-target/article/1705853

• Options
    It occurs to me that for real skip fire quality Cherry might stand on the list for the ISP (not sure how far they're along the line on confirming candidates) on an explicitly Salmondite ticket, he's been suspiciously quiet on endorsing any one person or party for May. Of course it would end any hopes of leading the SNP and FM-ship, and would be a big gamble (pollster aren't even mentioning ISP on their Scottish polls so far).
    Not likely but the days of political sure things are long gone.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,139
    edited February 2021

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That phrase to me literally refers to people squabbling. I am not aware of any LGBT association to camping or happy campers.
    "Camp" = stereotypical gay man. Edit: think Soho boho 1960s-70s.

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
  • Options
    He couldn't resist could he....

BBC News - Covid: Boris Johnson 'optimistic' about people's summer holiday prospects
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55890224
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

felix said:

Apologies if this has already been posted. The Chief Political Correspondent for Germany's biggest newspaper:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1356149484783366145?s=20

Someone was muttering something about 'solidarity' earlier...
    For some reason the catastrofuck of the EU vaccine negotiation keeps being used as proof that we were right to leave the EEA. I don't get it, unless like Big G they don't know the difference.
    I think the EEA problem may be 'free movement' - not a problem for me but a biggy for those who voted Leave.
    Considering that the EEA is outside of the Customs Union and deals with customs paperwork too which is what RP keeps complaining about - I'm not convinced he understands the difference either.

EEA+CU doesn't exist. Well it does, its called EU membership.
    Oh luv, the problem at the moment is the ludicrous amount of SPS red tape, none of which would exist if we remained in the EEA.

Do try and keep up.
    So fill in the SPS and move on.

You were convinced, absolutely conviced, that customs paperwork was going to bring the border to a crashing halt. It hasn't happened. So now complaints are boiled down to moaning about firms getting used to SPS red tape. Struggling to give a damn about that to be frank. If that's all you've got to complain about it isn't very much.
    Wowsers. To everyone with eyes and a brain the border has been reduced to this uncomfortable quiet where there's only a fraction of normal traffic and half of that is empty vehicles.

You remember Multiplicity? You need to be like Michael Keaton. Go clone yourself. Then you can go and fix all the problems by a combination of "nope, no problem here", "market forces", "go buy something else" or some other fantastic solution.

Go on Philip. Go clone yourself.
    I'm sure it has reduced as you say. You did also say that we would have food shortages - particularly in fresh produce. Is that still your prediction? Update: supermarket shelves in my part of Scotland's snowy wastes are still very much groaning with fresh produce.
    We've managed, albeit with "fresh" not exactly the correct description for produce that's struggling to stay in life at times. And why have we done so? Because we haven't seen the endless queues that everyone including the government expected. And why haven't we done so? Because we have largely stopped importing and exporting. With traffic levels far lower than normal the trucks with fresh aren't getting stuck.

Its the early months of WWII from a trade perspective. We've declared war (on ourselves) and we know its coming even if its still sunny and you can get about without fear of your life. As we whittle our way down through the stockpiles we'll need to import more again. Which creates the problem that not even the vast new truck parks will solve.

There is something quite funny though in your post. "The border will stop functioning" I said. Not sending trucks through it is it not functioning. Yet "there are no queues so everything is fine" is the response.

Yes. Its all fine. As with Philip you absolutely know more about it than the producers, the wholesalers, the retails, the exporters, the logistics industry and indeed our own government. Perhaps you need to go clone yourself as well.
    People lapping up Cyclefree's subject matter expertise on the AZ vaccine contract yet not so happy with yours on the food industry. Wonder why this is?
    ...It seems to me that people are first choosing a mood or attitude, and then finding the disparate views which match to that mood and, to themselves, justifying those views by the mood. I call this the “fallacy of mood affiliation,” and it is one of the most underreported fallacies in human reasoning...
    https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/03/the-fallacy-of-mood-affiliation.html
    That's the baby.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

It isn't. You're talking complete and utter balderdash.

The Government base their statistics on a weekly rate and yesterday's figure is actually massively encouraging.

A great lesson: when you're in a hole (i.e. wrong) don't keep digging ;)

I don't deny this, nor am I predicting that we will miss the target.

I think we'll beat the target.

I am merely saying that today's return was behind the required daily rate, which is true.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,121
    Scott_xP said:
    Sounds like hed fit in well with today's EC.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

https://www.gponline.com/uk-covid-19-vaccine-programme-halfway-15m-mid-february-target/article/1705853

But if each day this cycle is 150k higher than the corresponding day of last week, as this one is, then it will mean this week will see about 1 million more jabs than last week.

It is pointless to try to predict precisely, but clearly the weekly trend - supply restraints notwithstanding - is still quite steeply up.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

BBC News - Covid: Boris Johnson 'optimistic' about people's summer holiday prospects

Florida is the new Sweden.

• Options

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

If you want to continue to defend your flatly wrong attempt to look at a single day's data, you should have looked at the cumulative position on that day, which is unequivocally ahead of target.

All the numbers in my post were for England only, and the target for England, which we will utterly smash, is 12m by mid Feb.

Details all here given you seem a bit behind the facts -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You do have to be a bit old and/or middle aged to use that vocabulary as a matter of routine.
    Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
  • Options

Good. It's important that there is pressure to remove the restrictions.
  • Options

After putting Hancock's gas at a peep, it's time the Trusster took on BJ.

"Summer holiday getaway hopes dashed as minister warns travel restrictions won’t be eased for ‘foreseeable future’"

https://tinyurl.com/yxv8tucm
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have used that phrase - it would not have even crossed my mind as being problematical.

But hey - so easy nowadays to claim upset
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,121
    TimT said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

But if each day this cycle is 150k higher than the corresponding day of last week, as this one is, then it will mean this week will see about 1 million more jabs than last week.

It is pointless to try to predict precisely, but clearly the weekly trend - supply restraints notwithstanding - is still quite steeply up.
    Gone up about 700k per week the last 3 weeks I think. People seem pretty confident way more can be done, even possibly double the current rate, once stocks are there.
  • Options

No, bad.

There should be pressure to remove domestic restrictions but having summer holidays is a bloody stupid idea that risks reimporting the virus, bringing in a third wave and bringing restrictions back.

Abolish all restrictions apart from quarantine is a far better solution.
  • Options
    ZOE cases estimate is down 10% in the last 2 days, so no sign of an end to the current collapse in case numbers (which is actually accelerating in percentage terms, rather encouragingly 3 weeks after the vaccine roll out really kicked off).
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

If you want to continue to defend your flatly wrong attempt to look at a single day's data, you should have looked at the cumulative position on that day, which is unequivocally ahead of target.

All the numbers in my post were for England only, and the target for England, which we will utterly smash, is 12m by mid Feb.

Details all here given you seem a bit behind the facts -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan/uk-covid-19-vaccines-delivery-plan
    Required daily rate as of this morning was 395k/day.

That will be slightly higher now after we fell short today.

My analysis remains the same:

The Valentine's Day target is the right target.

We can and should beat it.

But let's keep the pressure on.
  • Options
    TimT said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

All true – and good news.

But we fell slightly short today – let's not repeat that too often and make sure we smash this target.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have used that phrase - it would not have even crossed my mind as being problematical.

But hey - so easy nowadays to claim upset
    There are a few companies in trouble....

https://happycampers.is/

https://happycampershire.com/

You can even send you kids to the happy campers club.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

Isn't big JC QC running for Holyrood in the summer?

Nope, she pulled out of the Edinburgh Central candidate contest cos the rules weren’t fair or something.

Election is beginning of May so not that far away.
    No. They changed the rules so sitting MPs couldn't stand - a new and novel concept for the SNP - she would have had to quit the commons. Coincidentally, by a sheer fluke, this benefitted Angus Robertson ex-MP who by the most unlikely of circumstances happens to be on Team Nicola.

Ah, the answer:

Ruth Davidson
    @RuthDavidsonMSP
    ·
    10m
    As yesterday saw a new low for vaccinations and Scotland officially having the lowest rate of any of the nations and regions of the UK, the dead cat strategy is enacted. Watch all columnist rush to dissect the Joanna Cherry sacking, rather than SNP vaccine failure....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2021
    #10 PR machine has certainly stepped up a notch recently,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9210297/Covid-UK-Boris-Johnson-reveals-spoke-Capt-Sir-Tom-Moores-family-night.html

In the recent past, too often, no not called, no not taken any calls, been busy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,311
  • Options
    edited February 2021

The buck doesn't stop here.
    twitter.com/Brexit/status/1356253264065531906

Where's the unity?
  • Options

TimT said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

But we fell slightly short today – let's not repeat that too often and make sure we smash this target.
    Embarassing brass neck. Everyone can see your pants round your ankles and still you keep posting this pap.

We will, in your fantasy world, 'fall short' every Sunday and Monday, and yet are clearly on track to hit the target several days early. If only there were some explanation...

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,681

It occurs to me that for real skip fire quality Cherry might stand on the list for the ISP (not sure how far they're along the line on confirming candidates) on an explicitly Salmondite ticket, he's been suspiciously quiet on endorsing any one person or party for May. Of course it would end any hopes of leading the SNP and FM-ship, and would be a big gamble (pollster aren't even mentioning ISP on their Scottish polls so far).

Well done for saying 'skip fire' not 'dumperfire'.
  • Options

No, bad.

There should be pressure to remove domestic restrictions but having summer holidays is a bloody stupid idea that risks reimporting the virus, bringing in a third wave and bringing restrictions back.

Abolish all restrictions apart from quarantine is a far better solution.
    I read that as his talking about hols in the UK. I agree with you about foreign trips.
  • Options

TimT said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

We'll repeat it every Monday, because that is the cycle. Absurd not to take day of the week into account.

50% growth on last Monday's figures nearly. Fantastic job, lets keep that up. If that continued we'd be on 900k in a day by next Saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh, yeah. Didn't connect campers to camp but that seems a really big stretch to find that offensive.
    Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).

Edit: perhaps that's analysing it too deeply and in fairness I don't know who Mr Clarke is or at least what his track record is, so it may be unfair to even suggest that. But, in general terms, there is a recognised strategy by the right to wind up the woke and then blame the latter by using sort of grey area terms.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

TimT said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Disappointing.

Embarassing brass neck. Everyone can see your pants round your ankles and still you keep posting this pap.

We will, in your fantasy world, 'fall short' every Sunday and Monday, and yet are clearly on track to hit the target several days early. If only there were some explanation...

Today's rate was below the required daily rate, which is what I said in my OP. Which is correct. And, to my mind, a little bit disappointing.

However, I firmly believe we will beat the target, as I have also said several times.

There can be no excuses for missing it.

• Options
    In Florida now cases are falling and

every Floridian has a right to operate a business.
    every Floridian has a right to work.
    every Floridian child has a right to an in person education.

If you are a restaurant worker they have your back.
    If you are a hairdresser they have your back.

Go Florida!

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Given that one of the key issues is a serious disagreement within the LGBT community I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately chosen (precisely to allow the claim of injured innocence if anyone points it out).
    Given it all seems to be about Salmond v Sturgeon I don't see a reason to drag LGBT into it deliberately.
  • Options

Go Florida!

I expect Q2 growth will be much better in the UK than in Florida, what do you say?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Given it all seems to be about Salmond v Sturgeon I don't see a reason to drag LGBT into it deliberately.
    It's not, actually, about that pair, at least primarily. There are other issues, and one has been a serious disagreement over gender reassignment and the appropriate legislation for some years now.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

/Crawls back under the rock I've apparently been living under.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    Rule 1 of VDL club is

1) Blame a subordinate. A specific subordinate

She has done this multiple times in her career.
  • Options
    Her credibility is shot. She should resign, but almost certainly will not.
  • Options

Go Florida!

I expect Q2 growth will be much better in the UK than in Florida, what do you say?
    Maybe but perhaps H1 growth not so much.

And Floridian children are in a way better place than their British counterparts. Way better.
  • Options

Rule 1 of VDL club is

The problem is this time there is no where to shuffle her off to.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Sounds like hed fit in well with today's EC.
    Harold Wilson on EEC (1966): "if we can't dominate that lot, there's not much to be said for us."

plus ca change

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    alex_ said:
    The JCVI seem confident the strategy is working. No doubt it'll be very clear in a few weeks who is right and who is wrong, politicians or scientists.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is it? I thought it was all about Salmond. I clearly need to read up further (seriously). But then, I didn't even know Cherry was gay.

I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Boris Johnson 'confident' vaccines provide protection against all variants

Starts sealing off the house from the outside world.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,311
    Interesting optics. The lead story in the German tabloids yesterday was Jens Spahn saying they should have ordered vaccines sooner.
    https://twitter.com/SKyriakidesEU/status/1356255889641103363
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,446
    edited February 2021
    Meanwhile, in markets world, it seems the GameStop rampers are going after Silver...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    edited February 2021

Rule 1 of VDL club is

The problem is this time there is no where to shuffle her off to.
    Time to leave her in a room with a bottle of Nepalese "Everest" Whisky and a revolverH&K VP9
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,180

Dumpster.
  • Options

For real old fashioned savour, try 'bing fire'.
  • Options

Meanwhile, in markets world, it seems the GameStop rampers are going after Silver...

Nate? What's he done to upset them?
  • Options

Her credibility is shot. She should resign, but almost certainly will not.
    Why should she? The only way she can be forced out is if every single EU Commissioner is also removed. She got there as an already failed politician on the back of a rubber-stamped backroom deal and has 5 years to do her worst.
  • Options
    West Midlands was worst-hit part of UK in first Covid-19 wave

ONS reveals impact of coronavirus pandemic on regions, with Scotland the worst-affected nation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/01/west-midlands-uk-covid-19-regions-ons-scotland
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sure part of it is about Mr S - but by no means all of it. Also to do with approaches to indyref 2, and so on.
    Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Their ability to impact that market much seems pretty limited to me. They have, however, already managed a successful pump-and-dump on Ripple (2nd tier cryptocurrency, for those wondering), which has already doubled in price and is now on the way back down.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm gay and I didn't spot it either. It's a bit of an outdated reference linked to camp pf course but really....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So Sturgeon and Cherry isn't a successful combination. Unlike Gammon and Pineapple.

And why are so many political parties tying themselves in knots over trans issues?

(BTW, tying a knot in it is not a recommended procedure for gender reassignment.)

The knot being that the SNP put reform of the GRA in the manifesto then the transphobes in the party throwing a shit fit when the party attempted to implement the manifesto commitment.

It makes wonder what other parts of the manifesto they are against? Independence maybe?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

There's correlation: the angry old men in a hurry, let's call them the Wings Over Scotland faction, also tend to be obsessed by trans people using changing rooms.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Mink

Kent

South Africa

For reference: “There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it. Virus variation and mutation occurs naturally. The more we suppress new variants the more we will avoid variants which cause problems for treatment or vaccination.”

The Novavax vaccine has got ~60% efficacy against SA COVID but has ~90% efficacy against the prevalent strains here. It's still ok, but we won't be able to go back to "normal" if it became the dominant strain because our herd immunity from vaccines may not be enough to prevent mass hospitalisations.

It's definitely an argument in favour of completely closing the border to all travel except freight and medical staff.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I wondered if that was a typo for 'bin', but: "a heap, especially of metallic ore or of waste from a mine".

Next we'll be talking about slag fires!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    edited February 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    Whereas Hammond's position was just to give away all the money before the real negotiations had even started.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep, indyref 2 differences, I was at least aware of that too. The whole LGBT row had passed me by thought (just done some Googling)
    It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100

Rule 1 of VDL club is

So they screwed up their export ban by not looking or asking about the specific details and if there was any blockers to the plan.

That doesn't explain the screw up over the vaccines (the lack of which is why they need to try to stop the export of vaccines already bought and paid for by another country).
  • Options
    As a quick aside, the gay, bi etc History Month nonsense did make me smile wryly.

Teaching Greek and Roman history for only 1 out of 12 months seems rather silly.

Not to mention the Theban Sacred Band:
    https://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2011/06/elite-soldiers-of-ancient-world.html
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209583/Is-Kent-variant-REALLY-deadlier-original-Covid-strains.html

Kent variant may be no more deadly after all, despite many on here repeating project terror as gospel.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258

Silver is rather different to Gamestop. Because there's lots of new silver "capacity" that can be brought on stream by buying things with silver in them, and then melting them down.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

I wondered if that was a typo for 'bin', but: "a heap, especially of metallic ore or of waste from a mine".

Next we'll be talking about slag fires!
    Bings were waste tips from coal mines, at least hereabouts. Sometimes they would catch fire and burn slowly for years, with the small percentage of coal they contained.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It more about Sturgeon assuring her succession as it looks like she may be gone sooner rather than later
    That's an excellent point to consider.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Seems even the EC can have too much 'solidarity' if there's a job at stake. How are they doing today? still smashing up Africa?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Interesting optics. The lead story in the German tabloids yesterday was Jens Spahn saying they should have ordered vaccines sooner.
    https://twitter.com/SKyriakidesEU/status/1356255889641103363

Yes because Söder has taken that road and Spahn has to follow or he'll look completely out of touch. Söder may be able to ride this incompetence from Spahn, VdL and Merkel all the way to the chancellery.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't get it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not, actually, about that pair, at least primarily. There are other issues, and one has been a serious disagreement over gender reassignment and the appropriate legislation for some years now.
    Yes. Nicola scored a goal with the modern metro left with this -
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1354521063502336001
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,166

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209583/Is-Kent-variant-REALLY-deadlier-original-Covid-strains.html

Kent variant may be no more deadly after all, despite many on here repeating project terror as gospel.

People are often too quick to jump to conclusions which suit their narrative.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Silver is rather different to Gamestop. Because there's lots of new silver "capacity" that can be brought on stream by buying things with silver in them, and then melting them down.
    True but there are levels at which few going to monetise their assets, surely, as the great gold short in 2000 told us.

The only big seller of physical at that price was a certain G. Brown.

Now the price is....er......higher by a factor of nine.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Mink

Kent

South Africa

The Novavax vaccine has got ~60% efficacy against SA COVID but has ~90% efficacy against the prevalent strains here. It's still ok, but we won't be able to go back to "normal" if it became the dominant strain because our herd immunity from vaccines may not be enough to prevent mass hospitalisations.

It's definitely an argument in favour of completely closing the border to all travel except freight and medical staff.
    I posted above though about protection from severe disease (still very high with the SA variant)

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    Covid anecdote time:

Colleague in his 20s. Caught Covid early in the first wave. Still can't taste anything.
This discussion has been closed.