Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Crisis Management: EU-style – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2021
    Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....I would guess 350k for UK as a whole.

ITS A DISASTER..........Runs around like a headless chicken.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Isn't big JC QC running for Holyrood in the summer?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Companies will adapt, get used to it and move on. That's life.

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    But that won't affect Philip personally. So I don't understand your point.
    Companies die, its a sad fact of life. Market conditions change, some businesses thrive, others suffer. Happens all the time.

Should we stop the clock and never change anything?

Should we roll back the clock to bring back Blockbusters?

Or all the way back to bring back the Luddites?

I'm not a Luddite. I accept change brings disruption.
    But in this case you are swapping those companies' existence for sovereignty.

What is the tangible quid pro quo?
    Sovereignty.

The answer was in the question.
    I always imagine men concerned with sovereignty as devoting a lot of attention to the question whether 6.3 inches is in fact the average size of a bit of sovereignty, and where precisely you measure from.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    Companies die, its a sad fact of life. Market conditions change, some businesses thrive, others suffer. Happens all the time.

You might as well go back to typing ‘shit happens’, as before.

It’ll save you some time, and gain you a reader.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MattW said:

https://twitter.com/amolrajan/status/1356165470420930567

Astonished to learn from this thread that the New European actually makes a small profit.

Remoan Central v. Brillo’s Gammon Broadcasting; the divisions are mustering in the culture war.
    Interesting that Lionel Barber (ex-FT) is involved.

Interesting piece by Amol Rajan:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55860118

TNE currently more than washes its face, making £80,000 as a standalone business. But that is based on a shoestring editorial budget of £6,500 per issue, with some costs absorbed by Archant and only three members of staff, including editor Jasper Copping and digital editor Jono Read. That editorial budget will rise by 50 per cent immediately; and Archant will no longer foot the bill for overheads.

So trying to turn a hobby publication into a real publication.
    I would imagine they will take it down the NYT / FT route i.e. a subscription model aimed at wealthier pro-European types. The FT apparently makes most of its profit from the "How to Spend It" publications, so that would be a focus.
    Much easier to see how their numbers stack up than for Brillovision, given the low costs of a weekly paper. Even if GBN is rolling talking heads, that's not going to actually be profitable, is it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

felix said:

Apologies if this has already been posted. The Chief Political Correspondent for Germany's biggest newspaper:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1356149484783366145?s=20

Someone was muttering something about 'solidarity' earlier...
    For some reason the catastrofuck of the EU vaccine negotiation keeps being used as proof that we were right to leave the EEA. I don't get it, unless like Big G they don't know the difference.
    I think the EEA problem may be 'free movement' - not a problem for me but a biggy for those who voted Leave.
    Considering that the EEA is outside of the Customs Union and deals with customs paperwork too which is what RP keeps complaining about - I'm not convinced he understands the difference either.

EEA+CU doesn't exist. Well it does, its called EU membership.
    Oh luv, the problem at the moment is the ludicrous amount of SPS red tape, none of which would exist if we remained in the EEA.

Do try and keep up.
    So fill in the SPS and move on.

You were convinced, absolutely conviced, that customs paperwork was going to bring the border to a crashing halt. It hasn't happened. So now complaints are boiled down to moaning about firms getting used to SPS red tape. Struggling to give a damn about that to be frank. If that's all you've got to complain about it isn't very much.
    Wowsers. To everyone with eyes and a brain the border has been reduced to this uncomfortable quiet where there's only a fraction of normal traffic and half of that is empty vehicles.

You remember Multiplicity? You need to be like Michael Keaton. Go clone yourself. Then you can go and fix all the problems by a combination of "nope, no problem here", "market forces", "go buy something else" or some other fantastic solution.

Go on Philip. Go clone yourself.
    I'm sure it has reduced as you say. You did also say that we would have food shortages - particularly in fresh produce. Is that still your prediction? Update: supermarket shelves in my part of Scotland's snowy wastes are still very much groaning with fresh produce.
    We've managed, albeit with "fresh" not exactly the correct description for produce that's struggling to stay in life at times. And why have we done so? Because we haven't seen the endless queues that everyone including the government expected. And why haven't we done so? Because we have largely stopped importing and exporting. With traffic levels far lower than normal the trucks with fresh aren't getting stuck.

Its the early months of WWII from a trade perspective. We've declared war (on ourselves) and we know its coming even if its still sunny and you can get about without fear of your life. As we whittle our way down through the stockpiles we'll need to import more again. Which creates the problem that not even the vast new truck parks will solve.

There is something quite funny though in your post. "The border will stop functioning" I said. Not sending trucks through it is it not functioning. Yet "there are no queues so everything is fine" is the response.

Yes. Its all fine. As with Philip you absolutely know more about it than the producers, the wholesalers, the retails, the exporters, the logistics industry and indeed our own government. Perhaps you need to go clone yourself as well.
    People lapping up Cyclefree's subject matter expertise on the AZ vaccine contract yet not so happy with yours on the food industry. Wonder why this is?
    ...It seems to me that people are first choosing a mood or attitude, and then finding the disparate views which match to that mood and, to themselves, justifying those views by the mood. I call this the “fallacy of mood affiliation,” and it is one of the most underreported fallacies in human reasoning...
    https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/03/the-fallacy-of-mood-affiliation.html
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    edited February 2021
    I won't be getting surge tested (I'm in Hermitage Woods), but it's obviously close to where I am:

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/people-and-community/emergency-planning-and-community-safety/coronavirus/surge-testing#map
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,151

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:
    The advantage of being the biggest in the room is that even when you are morally and legally wrong, you can still get your way.
    By getting what AZN offered the EU before any of this erupted? 😂

Maybe PM BJ isn't contradicting UVDL's assertion as he wants her to have a face-saving way to get out of the hole she has dug?
    Maybe he thinks that trying to correct the assertions of a shameless liar is an unproductive activity?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

Valneva SE CFO David Lawrence told the Today Programme that whilst the UK has been in discussions and had signed deals since the summer of 2020, the EU is yet to sign even a letter of intent with the firm, which is headquartered in Paris...

“Yes they should. Of course it comes down to slots. In turn we have got suppliers and this is why it’s important for example that the UK has exercised its option now, so we have got to book slots with suppliers who are giving us key components for the vaccine. The same will be true of other vaccines, the supply process isn’t something that you can just switch on and switch off over a couple of weeks.”

The EU are going to be wrecking the aisles again when they find out "their" chocolate buttons have already been sold to somebody else.

Jesus how bad is the EU at this ?
    They are still approaching this like buying a rug in a Moroccon bizzare....there is no rush and there is always another rug to buy...its all about playing the haggling game no matter if it takes you all afternoon to "win".
    Just maybe, I suppose, if we had still been part of the EU we'd have led on this!
    No, we would have been told to join the scheme and they would handle it....all about unity you see.
    That was explicitly stated

We wouldn’t have any input into governance, price or selected vaccines. It’s why we politely declined
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....ITS A DISASTER..........Runs around like a headless chicken.

I am very sorry, the quality of your panic does not meet the minimum requirements of entry into the village fete Vaccine Panic.

Thank you for your entry and please do try again.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289
    IshmaelZ said:

I always imagine men concerned with sovereignty as devoting a lot of attention to the question whether 6.3 inches is in fact the average size of a bit of sovereignty, and where precisely you measure from.

They also don't understand the word "tangible"...
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

England only numbers for vaccination

Region of Residence 1st dose 2nd dose Cumulative Total Doses to Date
    Total 289,359 2,757 292,116
    East Of England 34,215 254 34,469
    London 45,621 844 46,465
    Midlands 58,924 303 59,227
    North East And Yorkshire 36,981 481 37,462
    North West 33,624 269 33,893
    South East 51,827 262 52,089
    South West 26,987 341 27,328

Please form an orderly queue to the organised panic at the church hall. Tea and biscuits will be served.

Last 2 weeks data (England):

24/01: 199K
    17/01: 156K

So 45% up on last week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited February 2021

Nope, she pulled out of the Edinburgh Central candidate contest cos the rules weren’t fair or something.

Election is beginning of May so not that far away.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,521

Only 292k jabs in England on today numbers....I would guess 350k for UK as a whole.

Did we agree this was Saturday's figures? Yep - I think we are on track for the first target (mid feb, groups 1-4), and I am hopeful being significantly through most adults by end of April.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Did we agree this was Saturday's figures? Yep - I think we are on track for the first target (mid feb, groups 1-4), and I am hopeful being significantly through most adults by end of April.
    Yes, it seems that figures are basically a 2 day lag.

Capacity for 1 million a day should be the new stretch target now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

https://twitter.com/amolrajan/status/1356165470420930567

Astonished to learn from this thread that the New European actually makes a small profit.

Good for them. Colleague of mine once called it his favourite publication. Not sarcastically I hasten to add.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

What @Big_G_NorthWales seems oblivious to is that I am not arguing to rejoin the EU - that ship has sailed. What I am arguing - with evidence - is that the rules insisted on by the UK government have brought a significant number of industries to a stand.

Brexit - leaving the EU - did not have to bring self-harm to our status as a global trading nation. Our government could have understood both how trade worked and the areas where the rules it blindly insisted would be fine would not be fine. Instead we have this.

"We are not going back so business will have to adapt". In the case of the wine industry it will adapt by closing down. The other story I ready this morning was from major Norniron logistics firm McCulla, reporting in detail how the new rules has brought their industry to its knees. These companies will close without either rapid changes or long-term support. They "will have to adapt" by closing down.

The new rules are unworkable. And this is the false dawn before we stop breaching WTO rules and start imposing them fully. They will either need to be renegotiated or we will see chunks of our economic output simply stop. That isn't an argument to rejoin the EU, its an argument to negotiate a trading deal that works.

Sadly people like Big G never understood the difference between the EU and EEA. It is our departure from the latter which has so broken the food and drink industry.

If they're so unworkable then how do we have so many New World wines available to drink? Is the old world seriously so sclerotic that we face a future of only New World wines if we're not in the EEA? Because I'm 100% OK with that even if that happens, but I don't believe it for one second.

I think that's going to far and too unfair on the EU there, I don't believe its really that sclerotic as to be impossible to deal with - and that's coming from me!
    @Philip_Thompson are you in the wine trade now?

The issue is not that there isn't enough wine in the rest of the world, it's just that that wine is already being sold elsewhere and isn't available for us to buy.

1-3 years time the market will have adjusted and we may be in a position to buy more wine from the RoW but for the moment the RoW production is being produced for the pre-existing markets and is (probably) given how most markets work already presold elsewhere.
    Have you never heard of the concepts of Supply and Demand?

Prices may change, contracts may change, but the idea it is literally "impossible" to import wine whether from the EU or the Rest of the World is a lie.

Harder to import EU wine? I believe that.
    More expensive to import EU wine? I believe that.
    Impossible to import EU wine? Lie, lie, lie.

Impossible doesn't mean a touch more expensive or there's more paperwork.
    Oh and Philip, here's that random bloke off twitter with FBPE in his handle spouting off about wine.

What (tf) does he know, right?

https://www.daniellambert.wine/
    We'll see.

If it is "impossible" to buy EU wine after April then I am willing to make a £100 bet.

I challenge anyone to pick a date this year and I will go to my local supermarket or bottle store and look for a bottle of EU wine. If I can go to a bottle store or supermarket and pick up a bottle of EU wine then I'm happy to put a photograph of the bottle and my receipt here and you pay me £100. If I am incapable of finding any EU wines then I will pay you £100.

Any takers? If I don't know what I'm talking about and it really is "impossible" to import wine after April, as opposed to a bit more inconvenient, then that should be guaranteed money in your pocket straight from a mug apparently. Who wants in?
    I do enjoy your strawman arguments deployed once you've pillocked yourself into a corner.
    No straw man. You said "impossible". I defined "impossible".

Do you have some other definition of "impossible"? Do you know what the word "impossible" means?
    To answer my own question above. I said "its impossible to replace wine that doesn't exist." As in replace the 50% of wine from the EU with the other 50% as the volume doesn't exist.

Quite how that has been changed to "impossible to import from the EU" is something that only Philip can understand.
    Can I gently point out that wine is not fungible? Australian wine is not a perfect substitute for Burgundy.
    For most of those who care, I suspect price escalation won't be a huge issue.
  • Options
    Chris said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:
    The advantage of being the biggest in the room is that even when you are morally and legally wrong, you can still get your way.
    By getting what AZN offered the EU before any of this erupted? 😂

Maybe PM BJ isn't contradicting UVDL's assertion as he wants her to have a face-saving way to get out of the hole she has dug?
    Maybe he thinks that trying to correct the assertions of a shameless liar is an unproductive activity?
    I think it is more a case of "least said, soonest mended."

Any statement on vaccine production, export or import will get turned into a thing at the moment. Therefore, don't comment.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.

You might as well go back to typing ‘shit happens’, as before.

It’ll save you some time, and gain you a reader.
    OK.

Shit happens. 🤷🏻‍♂️

At least I don't deny it. Can everyone else always say the same?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Naturally. Though if they like to rely on moral arguments it becomes problematic.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.

I remember Luddites. Great shop - I think I still have a pair of flannel slacks I purchased there back in the day. A sad loss to the high street.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Other companies will take their place and the market will suit the ones that survive and are created in the future. That's evolution.
    Couldn't you say that about any tax or regulation change that affects business?

Doesn't that make it a completely meaningless argument, because the issue claimed is that the new equilibrium that will be reached is one that is worse, in terms of less choice, less wealth, less whatever it is that people are complaining about.

Some businesses adapted and survived in Zimbabwe. That doesn't defend the economic mismanagement there over many decades.
  • Options

OK.

Shit happens. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Found your next consulting gig

https://twitter.com/Quizbay/status/1356177699371446274
  • Options

What's the SP with Cherry getting sacked? Is she on Team Salmond?

She's Team Salmond and an out gay woman who has pointed out issues with the GRA. Very much in Nicola's bad books. The previous NEC passed an emergency motion to block her standing for a Holyrood seat.
  • Options

Yes, it seems that figures are basically a 2 day lag.

Capacity for 1 million a day should be the new stretch target now.
    It's actually looking as if the pattern is a saw-tooth, starting low in Monday reporting and building through the week.

Whether this is an artefact of deliveries, reporting etc is not knowable at this stage.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mr. Felix, is it an Inquisition for the purposes of dealing with heretical vaccine manufacturers?

NOBODY expects the EU Inquisition.

Because they couldn't believe it would ever get beyond the planning stage, after sixty four committee meetings. Followed by sixty four very good lunches.
    I’d confess all to avoid 64 committee meetings with EU bureaucrats!
    That just shunts you into the short cut 32 meeting confessional process.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,503
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

eek said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Yep, difficult to disagree with any of that.

I do wonder, however, if it is just possible that those who were so convinced that the EU were the adults, the reasonable ones whose views and positions should be given unstinting respect and deference through the long and tedious Brexit saga are taking the opportunity to reflect. It turns out that the EU is not an institution of laws after all. It is a bureaucratic mess, slow and incompetent, with a massive democratic deficit who cannot be relied upon to respect the views of its members (in this case Ireland and Art 16).

Thank the lord we are out of it. Now let's move on together and make the best of our own path.

As I keep pointing out, there is a world of difference between the EU pooing the bed over their vaccine fiasco and the EU stating a core negotiating position that the UK refused to accept. Nor are the EU the reason why we have chosen to leave the EEA. From the EU's self-imposed idiocy to our own - a wine importer whose business cannot function under the rules the UK government demanded be imposed.

Some of the responses are quite funny as well. "Can't you import wine from elsewhere?" No - it doesn't exist. ROW doesn't produce anywhere near enough wine to replace EU volume. Err, "they need our customs. can't the frogs tell Macron to change his rules?" No, these are our rules. Insisted on by the UK government.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1355437505642975233
    Your constant posting of anti brexit stories is rather pointless even more so after these last few days

We are not going back so business will have to adapt
    I think we know that. The actual issue at the moment (if you read the tweets) is the paperwork requirements are making low volume imports impossible.

Importing a container with a single product on it not a problem - 1 set of paperwork required.
    Start importing different product within a single container and the problems start to occur - as you need 1 set of paperwork per product and any 1 mistake on single form is enough to block the whole container from moving.
    Start splitting pallets into smaller orders and real problems begin. Remember 1 mistake blocks the entire container

We've spent 30+ years with paperwork free exports and imports from the EU. The introduction of paperwork (a lot of which HMRC have zero people who understand it) is making things impossible. And Covid is sweeping this under the table.

Now things will get easier - but they will get easier by people reducing the products they import and export - so less paperwork is required and less paperwork is the only way to avoid mistakes occurring.
    So people will adjust. That's not impossible.

If people don't want to adjust, especially people with EU flags in their Twitter handle, that's on them not politics.

The idea it is "impossible" to import wines from outside of a customs union would be a strange thought to anyone who likes New World wines.
    I would go and read the thread - there isn't enough available New World wine to replace the EU imports.

And the issue is mainly the one I've pointed out all month - why should I continue to purchase from you when other options are easier.

Which is why the UK is now (note now not back in 2019 when it made sense to do so) telling companies to set up EU subsidiaries so that the paperwork is hidden away internally and stock is sent direct from a warehouse in the EU.
    The tweeter is being very misleading suggesting that all EU wine will have to be replaced and the wine industry is under threat

In reality *his* business model of short line mixed pallets is under threat. Perhaps he needs to transact via an aggregator - which will come at a cost - but is feasible
    So Brexit necessitates a hike in business costs - the absolute inversion of what its proponents claimed would happen. Is there a single element of 'Project Fear' that hasn't come to pass?
    WW3?
    The WW3 thing was one of the Leave campaign's most egregious lies. Dave said no such thing. In fact, when I've asked Leavers on here to provide evidence they've always failed miserably and had to resort to the absurd claim that it was in an 'earlier draft' that never saw the light of day. Ridiculous.
    It was one of those 'Hyperbolic Binary Opposers' (HBOs) that are invariably a sign of dumbed down debate.

"The EU has been instrumental in building and preserving peace on the continent of Europe after the ravages of 2 great wars in the first half of the century."

"So, if we leave it's gonna be WW3?"
    Read Cameron's quote, he was asking about the risk of leaving.
    I know. I've just commented on it. My post at 2.03 explains why it was a valid pro-EU argument and not a part of Remain Project Fear.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

OK.

Shit happens. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Found your next consulting gig

https://twitter.com/Quizbay/status/1356177699371446274
    Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't trust a word anyone of anyone on Twitter, let alone anyone on Twitter with "#FBPE" in their handle.

Why would you?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    Stocky said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What was she sacked for? I thought she was one of the better SNP MPs.
    Jeezo.

That's a major escalation of hostilities in the civil war.

Appreciate that this will likely pass non-Scot PBers by, but defenestrating Cherry of all people is an extraordinarily provocative thing to do.
    Shame. I liked her for next SNP leader.
    I would say this makes that more likely rather than less.
  • Options
    Not just Surrey getting the mass door to door testing,

Door-to-door mass testing in Surrey, Kent, London, Hertfordshire, Lancashire and West Midlands after ELEVEN people test positive for dangerous Covid South African variant despite not leaving country and having no links to previous cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9210159/Door-door-testing-South-African-variant-start-Surrey.html
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Full anti-vaxxering...

France’s Europe minister said in response to the question on the radio this morning.

The UK government was vaccinating more people because it was taking “a lot of risks” in spreading out the two jabs and in using the vaccine for older people; risks, he said, that the French government and French people would not want to take.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    And why not? Sputnik has been approved in 16 countries, Sinopharm in 11, and Sinovac in 7. All 3 prevent hospitalisations.
    It isn't good to rely on authoritarian dictatorships for something so important.
    No, but needs must and if they work, fine. Dont think they've received approval in Europe yet though so not sure how it helps - they have loads of doses coming, its lack now thats an issue
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,888

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Other companies will take their place and the market will suit the ones that survive and are created in the future. That's evolution.

Doesn't that make it a completely meaningless argument, because the issue claimed is that the new equilibrium that will be reached is one that is worse, in terms of less choice, less wealth, less whatever it is that people are complaining about.

Some businesses adapted and survived in Zimbabwe. That doesn't defend the economic mismanagement there over many decades.
    The argument appears to be some business's will go bust due to the extra costs of import export whereas in the EU they didn't have those costs. Sadly however those costs were still there, just instead of the business that benefitted paying them the bill was handed to the tax payers of the country in the form of a large contribution to the EU budget.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100

Nope, she pulled out of the Edinburgh Central candidate contest cos the rules weren’t fair or something.

I think she pulled out when she realized that she had zero chance of being the candidate for that seat.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

One of Kay Burley's party rule breakers...

https://twitter.com/inzyrashid/status/1356140213261754369?s=19

If I was uncharitable, I would speculate on what the content of his conversation with his father (which broke his heart) included
  • Options
    I see we are back to being flooded by tweets from people with a few 100 followers.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Yes you can.

Arguing that the change is not worth it is one thing.

Screaming until you're blue in the face there's been a change is puerile.

Changes happen. Its a value judgement as to whether it was worth it or not. Personally if the worst that happens is a bit of customs paperwork, a bit of SPS paperwork and life goes on then I am quite prepared to accept that cost. Its better than I thought it might be when I voted Leave.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Relative of mine was sent home last week. Crucial element stuck in port apparently so no work.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

The argument appears to be some business's will go bust due to the extra costs of import export whereas in the EU they didn't have those costs. Sadly however those costs were still there, just instead of the business that benefitted paying them the bill was handed to the tax payers of the country in the form of a large contribution to the EU budget.

Hang on - the new costs are dealing with the paperwork and the regulations. Which were not done before, so nobody was paying for them. Which is the whole point of a Zollverein. (This assumes there are no new taxes as such.)
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    South African variant of Covid found in eight areas of England

The South African variant of coronavirus has been discovered in eight different areas of England, sparking a “a two-week sprint to test everyone” in the affected postcodes, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/01/south-african-variant-of-covid-found-in-eight-areas-of-england

Its here folks....and not going away.
  • Options

Full anti-vaxxering...

France’s Europe minister said in response to the question on the radio this morning.

The UK government was vaccinating more people because it was taking “a lot of risks” in spreading out the two jabs and in using the vaccine for older people; risks, he said, that the French government and French people would not want to take.

What that says to me, is that he thinks there will be no uptick in the vaccination program in France in the near future.

Shit.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Excellent header, Cyclefree. Have the EU called for advice yet?
  • Options

I see we are back to being flooded by tweets from people with a few 100 followers.

Where "flood" equals 1...
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Full anti-vaxxering...

What that says to me, is that he thinks there will be no uptick in the vaccination program in France in the near future.

Shit.
    Well there was the guy on twitter who crunched the numbers yesterday and it showed their own targets where basically still snails pace and not using all the supply.
  • Options

What's the SP with Cherry getting sacked? Is she on Team Salmond?

She's Team Salmond and an out gay woman who has pointed out issues with the GRA. Very much in Nicola's bad books. The previous NEC passed an emergency motion to block her standing for a Holyrood seat.
    Problems with the Great Reform Act? What's she got against the enfranchisement of the middle classes?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Hang on - the new costs are dealing with the paperwork and the regulations. Which were not done before, so nobody was paying for them. Which is the whole point of a Zollverein. (This assumes there are no new taxes as such.)
    Of course they were paying them....the point of paying into the eu budget was to remove the paperwork.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Jeezo.

That's a major escalation of hostilities in the civil war.

Appreciate that this will likely pass non-Scot PBers by, but defenestrating Cherry of all people is an extraordinarily provocative thing to do.
    ‘Sokay, WM increasingly irrelevant according to an authoritative source.

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1356233347928883206?s=21
    She'll become briefly very popular with opponents if she were to become one of those rent a quote politicians broadcasters use when they want someone to criticise their own parties .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    And why not? Sputnik has been approved in 16 countries, Sinopharm in 11, and Sinovac in 7. All 3 prevent hospitalisations.
    It isn't good to rely on authoritarian dictatorships for something so important.
    No, but needs must and if they work, fine. Dont think they've received approval in Europe yet though so not sure how it helps - they have loads of doses coming, its lack now thats an issue
    Have the details of the Russian trials been made public/published?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Relative of mine was sent home last week. Crucial element stuck in port apparently so no work.
    I have a friend who's relatively senior in a large UK-based pharmaceutical company who tells me that they have over £1m worth of stock stuck in Belgium, having been irradiated, with the 'use by' date slowly slipping away. He's not happy!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,168

I've googled Gordon Brittas and I still don't know who he is.

Type him into YouTube and you get loads of videos.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:
    Yet again no-one gives a shit what Gen X thinks.

I forget if zoomers are millennials or after millennials.
  • Options

The South African variant of coronavirus has been discovered in eight different areas of England, sparking a “a two-week sprint to test everyone” in the affected postcodes, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/01/south-african-variant-of-covid-found-in-eight-areas-of-england

It might if we close the f***ing borders, institute a mandatory hotel quarantine, implement full test and trace and continue to rollout vaccines.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Surely Joanne Cherry has more followers than that. Even after being excommunicated by Sturgeon.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    So Sturgeon and Cherry isn't a successful combination. Unlike Gammon and Pineapple.

And why are so many political parties tying themselves in knots over trans issues?

(BTW, tying a knot in it is not a recommended procedure for gender reassignment.)
  • Options
    George Galloway has a new video saying Alex Salmond was framed, so it must be true.

Unless it isn't.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgSlmZScFs
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oh good, you are promising not to jam up the thread with any more. Thank god for that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    She is. Sacked for not being on team Nicola....nor following the woke agenda - have you seen the cavalcade of wit & beauty the SNP have arranged for List MSPs?

https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1356244397906653186?s=20

• Options

It might if we close the f***ing borders, institute a mandatory hotel quarantine, implement full test and trace and continue to rollout vaccines.
    I still don't understand the delay here. It's the exact kind of policy Brexit supporters love as well as a majority of former remainers.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

She got (metaphorically) shafted by Peter Murrell (SNP CEO and husband of Nicola) with a last-minute rule change that meant sitting MPs had to resign from W'Minster to even put themselves forward for a Holyrood seat.

Her competitor for the seat was one Angus Robertson.

It should be noted that Cherry is feted by the SNP membership as the only MP to have actually made any significant impact at Westminster, (with the possible exception of Blackford but he's not exactly Grade 1 is he?)

Levels of inter-tribal brutality now rivalling that of Scottish Labour in its prime.
  • Options
    Look ministers are always accused of not communicating vital information, hes clearly trying.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:
    Yet again no-one gives a shit what Gen X thinks.

I forget if zoomers are millennials or after millennials.
    I don't know but the aggregation and name-calling is neither edifying nor helpful.
  • Options

I still don't understand the delay here. It's the exact kind of policy Brexit supporters love as well as a majority of former remainers.
    I as a pro-immigration Brexiteer would hate it normally.

But this isn't normal, its a global pandemic.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

The whole unwillingness to close the border for 10 months is unfathomable. Not just the UK government, but the eggheads, the opposition, the media, basically anybody with a voice, has been well we must do x, where x changes every week and is everything other than close the border.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Angry factions is pretty normal for parties. Lack of some open division seemed to make the SNP pretty unusual.
  • Options

She got (metaphorically) shafted by Peter Murrell (SNP CEO and husband of Nicola) with a last-minute rule change that meant sitting MPs had to resign from W'Minster to even put themselves forward for a Holyrood seat.

Her competitor for the seat was one Angus Robertson.

It should be noted that Cherry is feted by the SNP membership as the only MP to have actually made any significant impact at Westminster, (with the possible exception of Blackford but he's not exactly Grade 1 is he?)

Levels of inter-tribal brutality now rivalling that of Scottish Labour in its prime.
    And it only took decades from prime to wipeout, so that's good news.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264

Not a disaster but well below the required rate.

Disappointing.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    deleted
  • Options

The whole unwillingness to close the border for 10 months is unfathomable. Not just the UK government, but the eggheads, the opposition, the media, basically anybody with a voice, has been well we must do x, where x changes every week and is everything other than close the border.
    For some reason the experts thought they was no point in closing the borders last year. Ive read their explanations again and again and still dont understand their reasoning.
  • Options

Disappointing.
    Calm down, calm down....Its Monday, it is still well up on the same day from previous weeks.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Yes we were.

Are you not familiar with the term opportunity cost? All choices have a cost, whether it be a real cost or an opportunity cost - or both.

The only reason there were no paperwork and regulations was because we were paying the cost of surrendering some sovereignty and paying membership fees. So the cost was there, it was just nationalised.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Have the details of the Russian trials been made public/published?
    No idea. In principle if they go through the same process it's an ok plan but it seems another distraction.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

Disappointing.
    Weekend numbers
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Look ministers are always accused of not communicating vital information, hes clearly trying.
    That number plate is ugly. They could have made it look more visibly appealing. It just looks like a low-cost EU number plate copy.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Andy_JS said:

For some reason the experts thought they was no point in closing the borders last year. Ive read their explanations again and again and still dont understand their reasoning.
    At the same time, those experts where saying we don't need to do community testing anymore, just focus on hospitals and masks, what do we need those for.

I can only presume the airline lobby is constantly making doomster representations to the government and that when they ask the eggheads how does imported covid cases compare to already existing ones, it is a small percentage and so they always decide we can do without closing the border.

Of course, the number isn't the issue, it is the type. We don't want Saffers or Brazilian Bum COVID to become the dominant type.
  • Options

No. They changed the rules so sitting MPs couldn't stand - a new and novel concept for the SNP - she would have had to quit the commons. Coincidentally, by a sheer fluke, this benefitted Angus Robertson ex-MP who by the most unlikely of circumstances happens to be on Team Nicola.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Disappointing.
    It isnt disappointing. Sunday figures are usually lower than the rest of the week, just like Tuesday Covid-19 statistics are usually higher.
  • Options

Disappointing.
    Calm down, calm down....Its Monday, it is still well up on the same day from previous weeks.
    I'm perfectly calm, just pointing out that it's below the required rate.

You seem to be agitated however!
  • Options
    Cue yet more hysteria on PB about variants

Mink

Kent

South Africa

For reference: “There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it. Virus variation and mutation occurs naturally. The more we suppress new variants the more we will avoid variants which cause problems for treatment or vaccination.”

• Options
    Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.
    https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1356236028978278403
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Disappointing.
    It's up 43% on last week and we're ahead of schedule on a rolling 7 day basis...
  • Options

Disappointing.
    Weekend numbers
    292k jabs in England alone on a Sunday would be the highest vaccination rate by a considerable margin since we began jabbing people.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578
    Interesting study on school-age transmission in Norway (testing - well, requesting to test at least - all known contacts of 5-13 year olds known to have been infected). Small sample, but very low transmission detected.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.26.1.2002011

As noted, small sample, before new variants were known to be circulating and relatively low (by international standards) prevalence in Norway anyway. Also looks like the children didn't have that many contacts - small class sizes with good measures in place?
  • Options

Disappointing.
    Weekend numbers

Indeed, but well below the required rate.

• Options

Disappointing.
    Weekend numbers

Indeed, but well below the required rate.

No it isn't. That's the England-only figure and it's a record-breaking Sunday.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them will not.

Many of them will die.
    That's shit for them.

Yes we were.

Are you not familiar with the term opportunity cost? All choices have a cost, whether it be a real cost or an opportunity cost - or both.

The only reason there were no paperwork and regulations was because we were paying the cost of surrendering some sovereignty and paying membership fees. So the cost was there, it was just nationalised.
    Of course. But - ignoring the mere matter of slogans on buses and their accuracy - that works the other way round too - if you suppress trade like you are doing right now, and some at least stays permanently suppressed ...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040

Full anti-vaxxering...

The French certainly aren't taking any risks with injections.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Cue yet more hysteria on PB about variants

Mink

Kent

South Africa

For reference: “There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it. Virus variation and mutation occurs naturally. The more we suppress new variants the more we will avoid variants which cause problems for treatment or vaccination.”

“There is currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe illness, or that the regulated vaccine would not protect against it."

That is very carefully worded....regulated vaccine...we know one of the most recent to announce was nowhere near as effective against it AND (this is very important) as part of their study they found significant numbers of people who had been reinfected.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Happily I will soon move far away from local Tory Simon Clarke. He couldn't be classier if he tried. "Happy Campers" FFS. He'll be posting in a bit claiming to be outraged that describing a gay woman that way could be considered to be problematic.
    https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1356236028978278403

I really do worry for anyone who sees that and imagines it as some kind of homophobic slur. Crazy.
  • Options

Disappointing.
    I'm perfectly calm, just pointing out that it's below the required rate.

You seem to be agitated however!
    Saying its disappointing when the daily rate varies a lot may be calm but it seems silly. There were several 'disappointing' days last week but it didn't matter as the variation swung the other way and it was up for the week.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

She was effectively prevented from doing so by a rule change which would have forced her to resign immediately as an MP (and make her staff redundant) upon application to be put on the candidates list
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Full anti-vaxxering...

I expect that in a month's time comments like that will have been quietly forgotten like the bragging about the price paid for vaccines. Quite why any country is dawdling when it comes dishing out vaccines is completey beyond me.
  • Options

Disappointing.
    What does this pattern tell you?

• Options
    maaarsh said:

Disappointing.
    It's up 43% on last week and we're ahead of schedule on a rolling 7 day basis...
    Indeed. But below the required daily rate by a fair chalk.

That is all I am saying. It's perfectly recoverable.
  • Options
    The UK spent more than the entire EU on vaccine development according to this:

“The UK committed £1.67billion on Covid vaccines before it was known whether they would be effective - more than the £1.57billion the EU spent on behalf of 27 countries, with Britain spending £25.00 per capita compared to £3.51 for Brussels. “

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9209689/How-EU-failed-plan-vaccines-rollout.html
  • Options

So Sturgeon and Cherry isn't a successful combination. Unlike Gammon and Pineapple.

And why are so many political parties tying themselves in knots over trans issues?

(BTW, tying a knot in it is not a recommended procedure for gender reassignment.)

Even if you were in the sea scouts.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1356148565807149058

Ummm, I'm a big fan of Kwasi, but Valneva isn't going to be ready until the last quarter of 2021, so I'm not entirely sure why we're doing this.

Robert, perhaps the reasoning is to build a capacity and expertise to make multiple different types of vaccine:

1. Oxford/AZN gives us the ability (capacity and expertise) to make genetically modified adenovirus vaccines
    2. Making Pfizer vaccines idc gives us the ability to make mRNA vaccines
    3. Making Novavax vaccines gives us the ability to make protein/adjuvant vaccines
    4. Valneva gives us the ability to make inactivated virus vaccine (the only such instance against COVID in Europe).

So you can see, it is not just a portfolio of COVID vaccines we are building up, but a portfolio of different types of vaccines and their production - which gives us more ways of responding to future pandemics too.
  • Options
    glw said:

Full anti-vaxxering...

I expect that in a month's time comments like that will have been quietly forgotten like the bragging about the price paid for vaccines. Quite why any country is dawdling when it comes dishing out vaccines is completey beyond me.
    Someone said the other day that the french are heavily into alternative medicines though no idea if thats true, so maybe just playing to his electorate
This discussion has been closed.