Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

And while we wait for Congress to formalise Biden’s victory…. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2021 in General
And while we wait for Congress to formalise Biden’s victory…. – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    1st
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First like Trump.
  • I demand the posts above me be sent back to their states for retabulation
  • The posts above never happened and are clearly an attempt to steal the first.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    CNN - Biden nominates Merrick Garland as AG
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    edited January 2021

Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

If he'd put as much effort into actually winning the election as he has put into overturning it then he might have actually won the election in the first place.

That's a stupid point on both counts. Remainers accepted they lost the 2016 referendum, and Trump campaigned very hard to win the election.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    tlg86 said:

First like Trump.

Stop the count!
    tlg86 said:

First like Trump.

Sorry - I won bigly - anything else is fake news
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

I demand the posts above me be sent back to their states for retabulation

TSE, you have the power - are you a bad enough dude to rescue the integrity of this thread?
  • CNN showing a bit of Trump. Literally blithering utter nonsense. Throwing Pence under the bus.
    HYUFD said:
    Perfect timing, they can campaign and claim their presence is why restrictions get relaxed anyway.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    One of the most striking things about Trump and the MAGAs is how the Democrats simply don't - well... *exist*. All the talk about the "American people" entirely refers to his supporters !
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    HYUFD said:
    They'd be better off leaving the name as it is - they're still polling okay with it.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited January 2021
    JACK_W said:

Surely now likely Breyer will retire whilst Dems control Senate - but presumably Garland now considered too old for Supreme Court - ie Biden will want to nominate someone who can serve very long term.
  • Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

If he'd put as much effort into actually winning the election as he has put into overturning it then he might have actually won the election in the first place.

That's a stupid point on both counts. Remainers accepted they lost the 2016 referendum, and Trump campaigned very hard to win the election.
    Many Remainers did not accept they lose the 2016 Referendum - and the loonier brigade like Carole Codswallop were convinced that it was "stolen" because of dodgy dealings, Russian interference, broken electoral commission rules and other nonsense that have never been substantiated. Many campaigned much harder to overturn the results than they did before hand.

Trump campaigned hard in the final few weeks when it came to rallies, not when it came to building a coalition winning a majority of votes. Getting adoring cheers by those who love you is not campaigning to get a majority.

Trump stroked his own ego with the election rallies so he could soak up the applause of his fanatics. Biden sought to get a majority of the Electoral College vote.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Please send funds needed to retabulation@omnium2024campaign. It's very important that you let your wrath speak, and do it in a financial way. All contributions go to the fund, or somewhere else. Today is the day that you can show how much you financially care! Every cent you donate today will be well spent.

MikeL said:

JACK_W said:

Surely now likely Breyer will retire whilst Dems control Senate - but presumably Garland now considered too old for Supreme Court - ie Biden will want to nominate someone who can serve very long term.
    Shame they won touch age limit/service limit I bet, but be interesting what they do. The youngest justices you can find is probably they way forward for both sides.

Pulpstar said:

One of the most striking things about Trump and the MAGAs is how the Democrats simply don't - well... *exist*. All the talk about the "American people" entirely refers to his supporters !

That’s how Brexiteers talk too. 52% turns into 99% all too often.
    Remainers never tried to overturn a majority decision then?

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JACK_W said:

Absolute Wanker Move. Peak Biden.
    Wasn't a bad joke about Brian Kemp if you know about NFL tbh
  • Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

Reading this forum there is scant evidence remainers have accepted they lost in 2016
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    I wonder how many of their 1,000 candidates will be in ICU by then?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

I didn’t say they didn’t.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

Reading this forum there is scant evidence remainers have accepted they lost in 2016
    You always say stuff like this without basis. Just like you pretend that this forum is full of labour supporters when its actually quite balanced.
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Brexiteers should have been more magnanimous in victory and remainers more gracious in defeat.
  • CNN showing a bit of Trump. Literally blithering utter nonsense. Throwing Pence under the bus.

Yes. Either Pence does something outrageous and unconstitutional or Trump throws him off the bus to Jonestown
    JACK_W said:

That's very nice of him. Another nomination that'll upset 'the left' though?

Many Remainers did not accept they lose the 2016 Referendum - and the loonier brigade like Carole Codswallop were convinced that it was "stolen" because of dodgy dealings, Russian interference, broken electoral commission rules and other nonsense that have never been substantiated. Many campaigned much harder to overturn the results than they did before hand.

Trump campaigned hard in the final few weeks when it came to rallies, not when it came to building a coalition winning a majority of votes. Getting adoring cheers by those who love you is not campaigning to get a majority.

Trump stroked his own ego with the election rallies so he could soak up the applause of his fanatics. Biden sought to get a majority of the Electoral College vote.
    I agree that Remain lost, but I don't agree there were no grounds to challenge the probity of the process. Your earlier point that Remain was insufficiently organised before the referendum is the correct one.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,256

No, I think most remainers accepted we lost. That's why we suggested making it best of three. Technically it's still 1-1 and personally I can't wait for the decider :wink:
  • HYUFD said:
    Who will be championing the cause of the poor fishermen and the exporters and the people stuck with forrin neighbours? Reform UK! Because their Brexit hasn't happened, it has been betrayed, it has been stolen etc etc.

CNN showing a bit of Trump. Literally blithering utter nonsense. Throwing Pence under the bus.

Yes. Either Pence does something outrageous and unconstitutional or Trump throws him off the bus to Jonestown
    He won't, I'm sure, but what would happen if he tried? As surely the Senate would not stand for it.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138
    Oh, come now, that really is a dreadful insult, especially coming from a gent such as you.

Dinosaurs were intelligent and long-lived animals.
    UKIP helped quite a few LDs and Labour councillors get elected in 2017, so the money may not be entirely wasted.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

tlg86 said:

First like Trump.

Stop the count!
    First vowel surplus. Trump lost on 3rd November and ever since.

You always say stuff like this without basis. Just like you pretend that this forum is full of labour supporters when its actually quite balanced.
    There is one particular poster who tweets daily anti brexit comments as he has not accepted brexit and there are others in the same vain

Actually it seems there is a good contingent of lib dems on here who will never accept brexit

CNN showing a bit of Trump. Literally blithering utter nonsense. Throwing Pence under the bus.

Pence is extremely right wing but I've been studying his twitter and so forth, he's going to stick to the rules
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I can't remember, has he had the 'rona? A positive covid test might be helpful for him around about now.
  • Carnyx said:

Oh, come now, that really is a dreadful insult, especially coming from a gent such as you.

And sadly extinct

Carnyx said:

And sadly extinct
    (Depends if you consider that birds are still dinosaury enough to be considered as dinosaurs.)
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    He's putting pressure on Pence. I think Pence is his last hope. But Pence won't budge. So what does Trump do after tonight?
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And sadly extinct
    (Depends if you consider that birds are still dinosaury enough to be considered as dinosaurs.)
    I need to ask my 7 year grandson who is the leading expert on all things dinosaur
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2021
    Barnesian said:

He's putting pressure on Pence. I think Pence is his last hope. But Pence won't budge. So what does Trump do after tonight?

Continue the fight tweeting from the beach in Florida near his Mar a Lago mansion with a cocktail I expect
  • Trump now running through the list of ways in which the Democrats will seek to pollute your natural bodily fuilds
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2021

I can't remember, has he had the 'rona? A positive covid test might be helpful for him around about now.
    Isn't he scheduled to bugger off to Europe for a week tomorrow?

HYUFD said:
    Who will be championing the cause of the poor fishermen and the exporters and the people stuck with forrin neighbours? Reform UK! Because their Brexit hasn't happened, it has been betrayed, it has been stolen etc etc.
    UKIP is still around, just minus Farage

Trump now running through the list of ways in which the Democrats will seek to pollute your natural bodily fuilds

Have you ever seen a Democrat drink tap water?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Continue the fight tweeting from the beach in Florida near his Mar a Lago mansion with a cocktail I expect
    He's a teetotaler.
  • kle4 said:

TSE, you have the power - are you a bad enough dude to rescue the integrity of this thread?
    I've never used that power for myself, I'm not going to use it for anybody else.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

Don't be a pill, Big-G. You're better than that.
  • kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Perfect timing, they can campaign and claim their presence is why restrictions get relaxed anyway.
    If as has been suggested the elections are postponed until the summer or later their message may already have happened
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Whilst it's true that the Conservatives took on much of Farage's agenda and thereby made the man himself redundant in 2019, I would say it's too early to write off Farage completely. He remains the most influential politician of the right.
    edited January 2021
    Now that Trump has gone (almost) I wonder if we'll see if any Republicans were pulling a Claudius in order to survive his reign.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Index linked gilts have dipped in price this week; a buying opportunity for anyone looking for protection against inflation later this year.
    Trump on Stacey Abrams: "I beat her with a bad candidate a couple of years ago, Brian Kemp."
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2021
    "President Trump on "weak" Republican lawmakers not supporting objections to the Electoral College vote count. "We've got to get rid of them. He name checks Rep. Liz Cheney, the third highest-ranking Republican in the House"

Republican internecine strife incoming.
    edited January 2021
    Jonathan said:

Whilst it's true that the Conservatives took on much of Farage's agenda and thereby made the man himself redundant in 2019, I would say it's too early to write off Farage completely. He remains the most influential politician of the right.

Yes, plus 11% of voters oppose the new lockdown, only 1% less than UKIP got at GE15 so there is a pool for Farage to fish in there all to himself
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1346493355795107843?s=20
  • Nigelb said:

Brexit happened almost a year ago. What is happening now is holding a mirror up to the promises made by people like that fishing guy in Brixham vs what in practice has been done. What specifically should these Brexit voters be doing to "accept they lost"?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,613
    edited January 2021
    I know that the Lib Dems are going a bit strange in place... 5G....

But Donald Fucking Trump being a secret Lib Dem is a bit much, don't you think?

Then again, maybe this is why he is talking about flying to the UK.....

kle4 said:

I've never used that power for myself, I'm not going to use it for anybody else.
    Thanks TSE - the tenner is in the post

Trump on Stacey Abrams: "I beat her with a bad candidate a couple of years ago, Brian Kemp."

Trump seems to have a particular problem with Abrams. I'm sure it is a mystery why.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

"President Trump on "weak" Republican lawmakers not supporting objections to the Electoral College vote count:
    "We've got to get rid of them."

He name checks Rep. Liz Cheney, the third highest-ranking Republican in the House"

All these guys are getting primaried. And they are going to lose.
    Pence has got to head off after he does the Electoral count, he's about to be as welcome as Brutus was in Rome shortly.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pence has got to head off after he does the Electoral count, he's about to be as welcome as Brutus was in Rome shortly.

But Brutus was an honourable man...
  • "President Trump on "weak" Republican lawmakers not supporting objections to the Electoral College vote count:

He name checks Rep. Liz Cheney, the third highest-ranking Republican in the House"

This would result in some form of Republican split eventually.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And sadly extinct
    Or that dinosaurs were all along birdy enough to count as birds.

The raptors are still pretty fcking evil if you happen to be a raptor prey species.

"President Trump on "weak" Republican lawmakers not supporting objections to the Electoral College vote count:

It's also why they need to go hard on Trump now, and why so Senators should not have played their little games with objections and so on - it probably won't save them from the wrath of his supporters, and many of them are going to be targeted anyway, so they may as well pin the Georgian results on him and go down fighting.

Better to die (politically) on your feet than on your knees. Or in the case of Cruz and Graham, on their bellies.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited January 2021

The fact that Brian Kemp, the candidate, was also Brian Kemp, the Secretary of State who was in charge of organising the election may have had a hand in it too...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Trump seems to have a particular problem with Abrams. I'm sure it is a mystery why.
    Is it the same problem he's has with other black females in a position of power that don't take his shit?
    edited January 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And sadly extinct

The raptors are still pretty fcking evil if you happen to be a raptor prey species.
    I only need to watch the local crows tease the neighbour's cat to know that. [Edit: I k now they're corvids, but the principle is similar ...]

The fact that Brian Kemp, the candidate, was also Brian Kemp, the Secretary of State who was in charge of organising the election may have had a hand in it too...

Trump's cheating is too uncouth, vulgar and out in plain sight though. That's not welcome in the GOP, supression and so forth should be more discreet.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And sadly extinct

Do Emus count as raptors? I ask because they famously took on the Australian army, feared on battlefields throughout the 20th Century, and won.
    edited January 2021

Pulpstar said:

That's one way to describe a man who charged illegal levels of interest on loans, while being forbidden by law from lending money. And enforcing said loans with the Roman army. Up to locking up and starving some people to death for not paying.

Come to think of it, is Brutus a Trump sponsored candidate?
    Alistair said:

JACK_W said:

Not really.
    Apart from anything else, he's extremely well qualified for the role. And their are other advantages:
    https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/01/06/why-merrick-garland-is-a-better-attorney-general-than-you-think/
    Mike Pence standing next to Pelosi. Doesn't look great for Trump !
  • Pulpstar said:

That's one way to describe a man who charged illegal levels of interest on loans, while being forbidden by law from lending money. And enforcing said loans with the Roman army. Up to locking up and starving some people to death for not paying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X9C55TkUP8

Nigelb said:

Brexit happened almost a year ago. What is happening now is holding a mirror up to the promises made by people like that fishing guy in Brixham vs what in practice has been done. What specifically should these Brexit voters be doing to "accept they lost"?
    That was the unspoken message to Big_G.
    Basically I think he just has issues with a couple of posters who rub him the wring way. No biggie.
    These objections are going to be a massive covid risk extending the time, hopefully the older congress critters are jabbed up !
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Brexiteers should have been more magnanimous in victory and remainers more gracious in defeat.
    We should all aspire to be better people. :smile:
    Not holding my breath, though.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

JACK_W said:

Not really.
    Apart from anything else, he's extremely well qualified for the role. And their are other advantages:
    https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/01/06/why-merrick-garland-is-a-better-attorney-general-than-you-think/
    Biden will also get to nominate the replacement Appeal Court Judge in the DC Circuit.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

Trump on Stacey Abrams: "I beat her with a bad candidate a couple of years ago."

Seems an unusual method of corporal punishment.
    It’s not corporal, it’s Capitol.
  • Republican Congressmen being told to sling their hooks by Nancy Pelosi
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I like the theory that "Et tu" doesn't mean "You too [betrayed me]" but is a crude insult on the lines of "[Your mother sucks cock in hell] and so do you." Can't remember where I read this, and no idea if it's true.
    slade said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

JACK_W said:

Not really.
    Biden will also get to nominate the replacement Appeal Court Judge in the DC Circuit.
    One of the points in the linked article.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Congress now live on CNN. Pence getting some points of order from the off.
    lol Immediate smackdown from Pence to the obvious doofus VA house member

Pulpstar said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X9C55TkUP8
    Brutus did back Pompey - the crude oaf who tore up the Roman constitution to wipe his arse with. Hmmmm.
  • Penceyboy having to be literally fed the lines of procedure he has to say. Republican Congresscritter saying "how can I raise an enquiry if banished to the gallery as the speaker requires?"

The Ghost of Pence - "you cannot, and such an enquiry would constitute debate which is not allowed".

This is fun. They should have flown Ian Blackford in. He knows how to manage a dodgy subject without pointless points of order.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    UKIP is still around, just minus Farage
    And minus any point.
    edited January 2021
    "Our founders were deeply skeptical of concentrations of power and created a Republic based on separation of powers and checks and balances under the Constitution of the United States.

Vesting the Vice-President with unilateral authority to decide presidential contests would be entirely antithetical to that design"

Yeah, no shit, Pence.
This discussion has been closed.