Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters losing confidence that there’ll be a deal before the end of the year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,767
    edited December 2020
    Foxy said:
    Contains the red flag for journalistic dodginess: "up to", in line one, when the headline just mentions it without the qualifier. I wonder what they think the real number will be?

It looks as though the problem may have been what it always is - not enough risk for the banks,

I'd be interested to see who it is that have been taking loans.

At my gym our first port of call was the landlord for a rent break, which lasted a couple of months and we have ramped it back up as we gradually reopened and could afford, plus what grants were available, plus furious concentration on customer service and an offer of discount for anyone struggling, and renovations / improvements of the premises during the break as normal hours are something like 6am - 9pm with a lull in the day.

I think we avoided the loans like the plague, but I'm just the silent partner.

As a result I have 3 squares of PlasTek dog / child run on ebay, which was where the toddlers went until we built a proper reception area. If anyone has a new pooch in the Midlands.

So far it has worked as membership is well up on February. But who knows for the next 6 months - anything can happen.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

Sterile debate today, defenders defending, attackers trying to pin blame, no suggestions as to a better way forward just who may have said what, when.

What’s needed is to police the restrictions seriously, none of this prosecution is a last resort
    Ensure the rollout of the vaccine is in the hands of logistics experts

Start investigating the claims of fraud from all sides, government, claimants etc

The UK government looks like a soft pushover waiting to be taken advantage of by its own citizens.

How on earth do you police this though. That is the problem with trying to make this law. Everyone knows it is unenforceable.

A story to illustrate.

Just over a year ago on November 6th 2019 a good friend of mine died. He had been suffering from lung cancer but his death was sudden due to a pulmonary haemorrhage whilst he was at home alone. A mutual friend had turned up but could not get in so called myself and also the police. After identifying my friend I spent a couple of hours with the policeman helping him with details and waiting for the undertakers to arrive. In that time it turned out that the total police force present in Newark that Tuesday evening was the copper I was talking to, one other who was investigating an assault in one of the villages and a desk sergeant. When I expressed surprise at how few police were on duty he said that this was pretty good for the town and that Nottingham that evening had 15 officers on duty - for a city of some 330,000 people.

Policing in this country is by consent. It has to be because there simply isn't the power to do it any other way on a day to day basis. The idea we can police covid restrictions in any meaningful manner when so many do not believe in them is completely unrealistic.
    Indeed. The Tories have absolutely gutted the police of resources. The same MPs who voted again and again and again to cut funding and thus officer numbers then whine about the lack of officers.
    In Scotland the Tories claimed they made the SNP recruit extra officers (which migjt well be true).

So much for the Union.
    Crowds of Tories behaving that badly?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Spent an hour looking over European case data by region, I think this new more virulent mutation is basically in every country. There are odd spikes in case numbers in at least one major area in all European countries similar to how this started off in Kent a month ago.

The next three months are going to be absolutely terrible. The continent is on fire and right now we have one line fireman in one part of it aiming one small hose at it. I also think European people can wave goodbye to global travel without vaccination, there's no way Asian countries are going to let any of us in without proof of vaccination. The threat that this new strain poses to densely populated city based economies is absolutely deadly.

Whatever resources we can shovel to pharma to ramp up vaccine production should now be unlocked. European countries are among the richest in the world, it's time to stop haggling over pennies per dose and subsidise manufacturing capacity in the short term, even if we never need it again and those sites are mothballed after a year.

I wonder if any country had identified the virulent variant but kept quiet about it.
    We know the Danes did over Mink COVID. I do wonder whether that is related to this new strain from Kent.
    Denmark being one of the countries with a massive increase in cases in recent weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/denmark/
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Spent an hour looking over European case data by region, I think this new more virulent mutation is basically in every country. There are odd spikes in case numbers in at least one major area in all European countries similar to how this started off in Kent a month ago.

The next three months are going to be absolutely terrible. The continent is on fire and right now we have one line fireman in one part of it aiming one small hose at it. I also think European people can wave goodbye to global travel without vaccination, there's no way Asian countries are going to let any of us in without proof of vaccination. The threat that this new strain poses to densely populated city based economies is absolutely deadly.

Whatever resources we can shovel to pharma to ramp up vaccine production should now be unlocked. European countries are among the richest in the world, it's time to stop haggling over pennies per dose and subsidise manufacturing capacity in the short term, even if we never need it again and those sites are mothballed after a year.

Alternatively people couldn’t resist Christmas shopping.
    Ok, so this ripped through Kent, previously one of the most compliant areas in the country, because of what then?

This new strain is real and it's everywhere now. You can stick your head in the sand all the way I until the government announces tier 4 restrictions nationally and European countries follow, doesn't mean it's not a real threat.
    I wish it was the government trying it on, and that they were using the variant as an excuse to "u-turn". It would be great to think that this is a stunt. Sadly I agree with Max, this is really bad news, and we need vaccines to come sooner and being taken up to a higher level. 2021 is going to be grim.
    Without adding to the doom, do we know that the existing vaccine is as effective against the new strain?

The flu vaccine is tweaked each year.

We can't just assume that the existing vaccine is as effective in fighting the new strain, right?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Boris it turns out is quite shit at politics when he doesn’t have Dommo there.

He’s now royally pissed off everyone who thinks lockdowns are of limited use, the whole pandemic response overblown / counterproductive and considers the executive overreach an abuse of democracy.

And he has cemented his reputation as a cavalier moron to everyone who thinks we should be locking down harder, longer and deeper.

I’d venture the group of people who sit in between is about as big as people who didn’t have much of an opinion on Brexit in 2017–19.

What unites everyone, is the view that this year has been made worse by not having a coherent strategy that is transparently communicated, with clear milestones that drive government behaviour..

Even now, they miss the open goals. “When X people have been vaccinated we expect to see Y and will loosen Z. Our central estimate is this will occur by dates A, B and C”.

All we get is trite rubbish about trains, cricket, cycling up a hill, “Christmas at Easter” etc...

And in the void of transparent scientific debate of the detail behind decision making, they openly invite non compliance, conjecture and eventually conspiracy theory.

Philip is dead wrong. This is without doubt now the worst government of his lifetime by just about any metric I would care to mention. I wish I’d voted for Corbyn. At least then conservative principles would have lived to fight another day.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

glw said:

MaxPB said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Ok, so this ripped through Kent, previously one of the most compliant areas in the country, because of what then?

This new strain is real and it's everywhere now. You can stick your head in the sand all the way I until the government announces tier 4 restrictions nationally and European countries follow, doesn't mean it's not a real threat.
    I wish it was the government trying it on, and that they were using the variant as an excuse to "u-turn". It would be great to think that this is a stunt. Sadly I agree with Max, this is really bad news, and we need vaccines to come sooner and being taken up to a higher level. 2021 is going to be grim.
    Without adding to the doom, do we know that the existing vaccine is as effective against the new strain?

We can't just assume that the existing vaccine is as effective in fighting the new strain, right?
    Thankfully it seems as though it is because the spike protein binding is basically the same for neutralising antibodies. The variation has come in the effectiveness of its binding to cells. I think the worst case scenario is that vaccines go from being 90% effective to 80% effective which is still more than enough to be getting on with.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,366
    edited December 2020

Well, if the EU insists on being twattish......what can we do?

Not a lot, mate, but then a nation that votes itself out of the world's largest and most successful free trade association isn't in much of a position to lecture others about twattishness.
    Given that the UK has been a net financial contributor and has had a large and continuous trade deficit with EU countries I'm not sure that it has been successful for the UK.

And that's likely more the fault of the UK than anyone else.

Not a lot, mate, but then a nation that votes itself out of the world's largest and most successful free trade association isn't in much of a position to lecture others about twattishness.
    Given that the UK has been a net financial contributor and has had a large and continuous trade deficit with EU countries I'm not sure that it has been successful for the UK.

So far better out than in, AR.

Believe me I will be only too pleased to acknowledge this if and when evidence surfaces. I'd like to see us make a decent effort of capitalising on our sovereignity though if only so that we will know unambigously before long just how successful the enterprise has been, or not, as the case may be.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"being twattish" (aka negotiating) is fairly common in trade talks, I believe.
    If the UK were negotiating in the same spirit as France, we would have yesterdy introduced the return of Calais into the mix.

With the same intention of arriving at No Deal.

The UK has negotiated in an absurd way very often ; it's held up co-operation on vital common security issues as a negotiation tactic multiple times, for instance.
    That would be why we are being excluded from the security systems operated by Schengen and the EU as well as the criminal data base then despite being clear that we wanted to remain a part of both then? For goodness sake, get real.

The reality is that we are not prepared to make the compromises necessary to be included in them. That is our sovereign choice. We believe the upsides of participation are not worth the sovereignty sacrifices that such participation would entail.

That's not true. We have been clear. We want to be in them. The EU has said no. That is their sovereign right but it is absurd to see it as anything other than deliberate self harm on their part.

That's some absurd nonsense. You have been invited to continue to participate in these systems, but you have not been invited to redesign them in your preferred fashion. Your demand to exclude the ECJ from playing any part in these systems is laughable. The whole system could not work without the the ECJ performing its role.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,372
    edited December 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

My take is unchanged. Talk of no deal "from UK sources" can be dismissed. It's hype. Moving from frictionless trade to WTO terms is a plan Z for the EU and is not an option at all for the UK. It will not be happening. Things might not get finished and ratified in time, in which case extension or implementation period, but there will be a deal. Intuition says so. Common sense says so. The behavioural evidence, past and present, says so. If only I could find a way to transmit my certainty on this into the heads of the millions of people who are understandably worrying about it. I'd love to be able to perform such a public service. Give something back.

While I feel that a deal is more likely than not there is a part of me that would enjoy no deal just to see you eating some humble pie.

I wonder if the Germans have a word for that too?
    I bet they do. But tbf there's a part of you - the Redwood part - that would in any case enjoy this particular Not Happening Event happening regardless of its undoubtedly devastating impact on my cred. NO DEAL = PROPER LEAVE. If I were a Brexit Headbanger it's what I would want.
    I am not a Brexit Headbanger.

If anything I am a Democracy Headbanger.

Democracy must be respected even if, perhaps especially if, the people vote for what you consider to be the Wrong Thing (TM).

In 2016 had we voted to Remain then I would have been OK with that. We did not though. We voted to Take Back Control of our laws and sovereignty and I want that respected.
    Yes, yes. But we were talking about "a part of you". You do have some Redwood in there. It emits too brightly for this not to be the case.
    https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1340171550620868614
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    Foxy said:
    Shall I write to the Government's Anti-Corruption Tsar, John Penrose MP (husband of Dido Harding) offering my services?

Or would that be what is known in my trade as a total fucking waste of time?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Thankfully it seems as though it is because the spike protein binding is basically the same for neutralising antibodies. The variation has come in the effectiveness of its binding to cells. I think the worst case scenario is that vaccines go from being 90% effective to 80% effective which is still more than enough to be getting on with.
    Thanks -- I guess that is what I would have expected, a diminuition in the efficiency of the vaccine.

I thought we might be over the worst by Summer 2021, but now I am a bit less optimistic.

It is looking more and more like an epoch-changing moment in world history.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

My take is unchanged. Talk of no deal "from UK sources" can be dismissed. It's hype. Moving from frictionless trade to WTO terms is a plan Z for the EU and is not an option at all for the UK. It will not be happening. Things might not get finished and ratified in time, in which case extension or implementation period, but there will be a deal. Intuition says so. Common sense says so. The behavioural evidence, past and present, says so. If only I could find a way to transmit my certainty on this into the heads of the millions of people who are understandably worrying about it. I'd love to be able to perform such a public service. Give something back.

While I feel that a deal is more likely than not there is a part of me that would enjoy no deal just to see you eating some humble pie.

I bet they do. But tbf there's a part of you - the Redwood part - that would in any case enjoy this particular Not Happening Event happening regardless of its undoubtedly devastating impact on my cred. NO DEAL = PROPER LEAVE. If I were a Brexit Headbanger it's what I would want.

Democracy must be respected even if, perhaps especially if, the people vote for what you consider to be the Wrong Thing (TM).

In 2016 had we voted to Remain then I would have been OK with that. We did not though. We voted to Take Back Control of our laws and sovereignty and I want that respected.
    Yes, yes. But we were talking about "a part of you". You do have some Redwood in there. It emits too brightly for this not to be the case.
    There are many of us who support Brexit because it was democratically voted for but who reject the absurdities of the ERG
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Yorkcity said:

I have to say on a different subject Universal Credit I was wrong .
    My daughter who has a severley disabled child got divorced in September.
    So had to move from legacy benefits to UC.

It was all done on line and the first payment arrived 5 weeks after the initial claim.
    She obtained an advance payment to cover this period to pay the bills.
    The payment from then on is paid the same day every month , which is easier to budget.

My only concern would be for people, who do not have access to the Internet, or do not have a mobile phone , or id such as a passport.
    However in this crisis I was impressed how the DWP , assisted my daughter as she does not need any more stress, with looking after a severley disabled child.

That's good to hear.

But I still don't understand why they have the five week delay.
    To punish them for daring to claim. I can't think what else it is. When I was a student in the 1970s and claimed during the vacs when I coiuldn't get a job, the delay was a week at most, and that was before modern IT systems.
    Benefits are always paid in arrears. This one happens to be paid monthly, not fortnightly. Your first payment is calculated one calendar month after you claim, and in your bank account a week later.

For a salaried person who has just lost their job and is used to budgeting monthly, this works well. For others, less so.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464
  • Options

moonshine said:

Philip is dead wrong. This is without doubt now the worst government of his lifetime by just about any metric I would care to mention. I wish I’d voted for Corbyn. At least then conservative principles would have lived to fight another day.

I have to say that I think it's the worst Government of my lifetime. Worse than the last stages of the Heath Govt in 1973/4
    To be honest the only government in my lifetime who faced something as devastating as this was the war cabinet

I expect many governments across Europe, good or bad, will have their reputations extinguished by covid
  • Options

moonshine said:

I have to say that I think it's the worst Government of my lifetime. Worse than the last stages of the Heath Govt in 1973/4
    Likewise. Weakest, most lightweight Cabinet anyone can remember. Most just not up to it as Atlee would say.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:
    Shall I write to the Government's Anti-Corruption Tsar, John Penrose MP (husband of Dido Harding) offering my services?

I was amazed how easy it was for me to get a business continuity loan of 5 figures on the basis of my private practice. It took 20 min of form filling.

Entirely legit of course, and allowed me to keep my secretary and credit controller employed for 6 months until got some income again.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,126

Yorkcity said:

It was all done on line and the first payment arrived 5 weeks after the initial claim.
    The payment from then on is paid the same day every month , which is easier to budget.

My only concern would be for people, who do not have access to the Internet, or do not have a mobile phone , or id such as a passport.
    However in this crisis I was impressed how the DWP , assisted my daughter as she does not need any more stress, with looking after a severley disabled child.

That's good to hear.

Have a relative and she has been months and not sorted out, forever on phone to them. All working from home so a nightmare. This month no money again and they say the date has changed for no apparent reason and no-one can explain so she will be left penniless till 23rd December and can only hope money arrives. She could never have survived recent months without our help, pity anyone who has no-one to help them.
  • Options

moonshine said:

And as FOTH, that assessment is surely definitive.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I think the new virus strain is somewhat a pretext. Obviously greater transmissibility is a concern, but the big increase in cases in parts of the UK isn't wholly or probably even mainly down to the new strain. It's easier for governments to say, Because of the new deadly virus strain, than to say, We mucked up.

And with respect you possess scientific qualifications for that statement
    No BigG. You can't allow Drakeford off the hook that easily.
    I would not let Drakeford off the hook for any reason

He has been a disaster for Wales and not just on covid, but the failed NHS which has had negative effects on my own family
    If you can't (justifiably) let Drakeford of the hook, neither can you Johnson.
    Boris is not a covid PM but the present controversy over Christmas has become more apparent on the media this am with the scientific advice only being given to the government on Friday and Boris reacting yesterday, followed by Sturgeon and Drakeford

I would say that he cannot be enjoying any of this as it is so much against his freedom optimistic nature

However, we are where we are and I have no confidence Starmer and his front bench would be any better

Indeed I believe even Merkel is becoming unpopular day by day

Here is the problem. The advice WASN'T on Friday. The scientists have known about this for some time. The government have been talking about it since at least Monday*. It didn't suddenly arrive out of nowhere on Friday.

For at least the past week the government have known this was about - if not exactly how bad it was, they at least knew it was bad. We know this based on what they were saying on Monday. What then did the government choose to do whilst in possession of this knowledge?

Thats right, it stepped up its plans to have a Big Christmas blowout. More publicity about extra travel opportunities. Threatening to sue LEAs for not keeping their schools open. Feeding more pro-Boris saves Christmas stories to the press. That astonishing display at PMQs.

They are brilliant at immediate-win tactics but utterly blind to anything longer. Which is why Ridge was able to throw the "inhuman" comment straight back at ManCock this morning. If you've been told there is a new super-pox and you've chosen to ignore the scientists again wouldn't it least be sensible to back off on the political rhetoric?

*There is evidence that it has been known for longer. Whitty yesterday suggested fairly strongly that the government acting now was not at the first time of asking. You remember the photo a month or so back of Whitty looking very agitated in a meeting..?
    But NHS England on Marr confirmed the advice changed on Friday and hence yesterday's announcement

Furthermore, why did it take yesterday's announcement for Sturgeon and Drakeford to immediately act as well on the same advice and with virtually identical measures

Boris can be attacked for many things but why did neither Sturgeon or Drakeford act before yesterday
    Wowsers. You really will defend anything. We know for a fact that they knew this was out there and that it was bad. The only question was how much worse than standard Covid. So obviously attacking schools and calling what they are now themselves doing was obviously the smart political strategy.
    Why not answer the question

Why did Boris, Sturgeon and Drakeford only act immediately after the advice on Friday if they had known before
    Stop trying to deflect G, answer the question about your Hero.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

He’s now royally pissed off everyone who thinks lockdowns are of limited use, the whole pandemic response overblown / counterproductive and considers the executive overreach an abuse of democracy.

And he has cemented his reputation as a cavalier moron to everyone who thinks we should be locking down harder, longer and deeper.

I’d venture the group of people who sit in between is about as big as people who didn’t have much of an opinion on Brexit in 2017–19.

What unites everyone, is the view that this year has been made worse by not having a coherent strategy that is transparently communicated, with clear milestones that drive government behaviour..

Even now, they miss the open goals. “When X people have been vaccinated we expect to see Y and will loosen Z. Our central estimate is this will occur by dates A, B and C”.

All we get is trite rubbish about trains, cricket, cycling up a hill, “Christmas at Easter” etc...

And in the void of transparent scientific debate of the detail behind decision making, they openly invite non compliance, conjecture and eventually conspiracy theory.

So your central complaint against the government is that it is applying moderation?

Ignoring the Siren calls of extremists who want to let everything rip without mitigation?

And the Siren calls of extremists who want to lock everything down and damn the consequences for doing so?

And you consider that to be a bad thing? 🤔
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Yorkcity said:

That's good to hear.

To punish them for daring to claim. I can't think what else it is. When I was a student in the 1970s and claimed during the vacs when I coiuldn't get a job, the delay was a week at most, and that was before modern IT systems.
    Benefits are always paid in arrears. This one happens to be paid monthly, not fortnightly. Your first payment is calculated one calendar month after you claim, and in your bank account a week later.

For a salaried person who has just lost their job and is used to budgeting monthly, this works well. For others, less so.
    Employment agencies tend to pay on a weekly basis.

So a person moving back and forth between agency work and unemployment would find the five week delay complicated and inconvenient.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

Sterile debate today, defenders defending, attackers trying to pin blame, no suggestions as to a better way forward just who may have said what, when.

What’s needed is to police the restrictions seriously, none of this prosecution is a last resort

Start investigating the claims of fraud from all sides, government, claimants etc

The UK government looks like a soft pushover waiting to be taken advantage of by its own citizens.

How on earth do you police this though. That is the problem with trying to make this law. Everyone knows it is unenforceable.

A story to illustrate.

Just over a year ago on November 6th 2019 a good friend of mine died. He had been suffering from lung cancer but his death was sudden due to a pulmonary haemorrhage whilst he was at home alone. A mutual friend had turned up but could not get in so called myself and also the police. After identifying my friend I spent a couple of hours with the policeman helping him with details and waiting for the undertakers to arrive. In that time it turned out that the total police force present in Newark that Tuesday evening was the copper I was talking to, one other who was investigating an assault in one of the villages and a desk sergeant. When I expressed surprise at how few police were on duty he said that this was pretty good for the town and that Nottingham that evening had 15 officers on duty - for a city of some 330,000 people.

Policing in this country is by consent. It has to be because there simply isn't the power to do it any other way on a day to day basis. The idea we can police covid restrictions in any meaningful manner when so many do not believe in them is completely unrealistic.
    Indeed. The Tories have absolutely gutted the police of resources. The same MPs who voted again and again and again to cut funding and thus officer numbers then whine about the lack of officers.
    In Scotland the Tories claimed they made the SNP recruit extra officers (which migjt well be true).

So much for the Union.
    Most definitely NOT true you mean.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

To quote the great Sir Richard Evans, 'I would go for the second of those alternatives.'
  • Options
    Bit meaningless if you don't stop lorries as well.

Or do they feel that's taking care of itself?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,973

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.
    I wouldn't like to say. No, only joking - they made the SNP recruit more polis as a condition of passing the budget a few years back.

But increasing police per head in Scotland and decreasing it in England is odd for a Unionist party when it makes them diverge quite a bit, even allowing for slightly different counting. I polis per 316 Scots vs a much lower English figure (around 200 a couple of years back?)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

I think the new virus strain is somewhat a pretext. Obviously greater transmissibility is a concern, but the big increase in cases in parts of the UK isn't wholly or probably even mainly down to the new strain. It's easier for governments to say, Because of the new deadly virus strain, than to say, We mucked up.

He has been a disaster for Wales and not just on covid, but the failed NHS which has had negative effects on my own family
    Boris is not a covid PM but the present controversy over Christmas has become more apparent on the media this am with the scientific advice only being given to the government on Friday and Boris reacting yesterday, followed by Sturgeon and Drakeford

I would say that he cannot be enjoying any of this as it is so much against his freedom optimistic nature

However, we are where we are and I have no confidence Starmer and his front bench would be any better

Here is the problem. The advice WASN'T on Friday. The scientists have known about this for some time. The government have been talking about it since at least Monday*. It didn't suddenly arrive out of nowhere on Friday.

For at least the past week the government have known this was about - if not exactly how bad it was, they at least knew it was bad. We know this based on what they were saying on Monday. What then did the government choose to do whilst in possession of this knowledge?

Thats right, it stepped up its plans to have a Big Christmas blowout. More publicity about extra travel opportunities. Threatening to sue LEAs for not keeping their schools open. Feeding more pro-Boris saves Christmas stories to the press. That astonishing display at PMQs.

They are brilliant at immediate-win tactics but utterly blind to anything longer. Which is why Ridge was able to throw the "inhuman" comment straight back at ManCock this morning. If you've been told there is a new super-pox and you've chosen to ignore the scientists again wouldn't it least be sensible to back off on the political rhetoric?

*There is evidence that it has been known for longer. Whitty yesterday suggested fairly strongly that the government acting now was not at the first time of asking. You remember the photo a month or so back of Whitty looking very agitated in a meeting..?
    But NHS England on Marr confirmed the advice changed on Friday and hence yesterday's announcement

Furthermore, why did it take yesterday's announcement for Sturgeon and Drakeford to immediately act as well on the same advice and with virtually identical measures

Boris can be attacked for many things but why did neither Sturgeon or Drakeford act before yesterday
    Wowsers. You really will defend anything. We know for a fact that they knew this was out there and that it was bad. The only question was how much worse than standard Covid. So obviously attacking schools and calling what they are now themselves doing was obviously the smart political strategy.

Why did Boris, Sturgeon and Drakeford only act immediately after the advice on Friday if they had known before
    Stop trying to deflect G, answer the question about your Hero.
    Now then Malc, Boris is not my hero, I only have one in my life and she is a heroine, namely my Scottish wife of near 57 years
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

I was amazed how easy it was for me to get a business continuity loan of 5 figures on the basis of my private practice. It took 20 min of form filling.

Entirely legit of course, and allowed me to keep my secretary and credit controller employed for 6 months until got some income again.

Bastards. Clearly the work of the Worst Government Evaaah :wink:
  • Options

moonshine said:

So your central complaint against the government is that it is applying moderation?

Ignoring the Siren calls of extremists who want to let everything rip without mitigation?

And the Siren calls of extremists who want to lock everything down and damn the consequences for doing so?

Yes, in the same way that Communists occupied the middle position between the extremes of bourgeois democracy and anarcho-syndicalism.
  • Options

If that had been all it was then we would never have left. But given it was already far more than that and intended to continue to develop in ways that we were completely opposed to, leaving was the only sane thing to do.
    That's a perfectly reasonable argument, Richard. I'm not sure it's what most of the 52% had in mind on referendum day but if they did, you couldn't fault the logic or fail to implement their wishes.

I rather suspect that when the full implications become clearer support for the project will diminish even below the fourty or so per cent still behind it now, but we'll see.

I really would like to be proved wrong on this, even though I am committed to polishing with my tongue the shoes of every single leave-voting PBer upon production of evidence of 'sunlit uplands' and the like.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.
    I wouldn't like to say. No, only joking - they made the SNP recruit more polis as a condition of passing the budget a few years back.

But increasing police per head in Scotland and decreasing it in England is odd for a Unionist party when it makes them diverge quite a bit, even allowing for slightly different counting. I polis per 316 Scots vs a much lower English figure (around 200 a couple of years back?)
    All those soldiers Hyufd is sending into Scotland won't be able to guard their own tanks, you know.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.
    Actually it is - in the budget negotiations some years back. They crowed about it in their through-the-door bumf for some time.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Depends. Boris is grappling with something beyond him (& almost all other leaders of Western democracies).

By contrast, Blair inherited benign economic conditions, had massive majorities & immense political capital.

To those who are given, much more is expected. 😀
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

Carnyx said:

Yorkcity said:

That's good to hear.

So a person moving back and forth between agency work and unemployment would find the five week delay complicated and inconvenient.
    Depends on the agency and type of work they do.

I think it's roughly 50%/50% between weekly and monthly payment with weekly payments more common for lower paid work.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Yorkcity said:

That's good to hear.

Indeed. Although during Covid we haven't been closing UC claims if people earn enough for the payment to be zeroed. Which means that if anyone has less or no work during a monthly accounting period, they will get some UC again at the end of it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Bastards. Clearly the work of the Worst Government Evaaah :wink:
    Nah, just easy to see how easy it would be to defraud the system and never pay back.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well yes everything Redwood says in that Tweet is reasonable, unless the EU move further as I hope they do.

The difference is Redwood doesn't want the EU to move I think. He wants No Deal I suspect, I'm just willing to accept it as possibly necessary.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.

All those soldiers Hyufd is sending into Scotland won't be able to guard their own tanks, you know.
    Oh, please don't encourage him. But actually that's a core issue - why bother with the union if its own party actively encourages divergence in a key area of their characteristic manifesto?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Dunno. Seems a ton of Londoners reacted to the new strain last night.

By rushing to the railway stations heading North.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.

Oh, please don't encourage him. But actually that's a core issue - why bother with the union if its own party actively encourages divergence in a key area of their characteristic manifesto?
    Why bother with devolution at all if there isn't some divergence?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

At this rate a no deal Brexit will pass by unnoticed
  • Options

moonshine said:

Depends. Boris is grappling with something beyond him (& almost all other leaders of Western democracies).

By contrast, Blair inherited benign economic conditions, had massive majorities & immense political capital.

'Worst Government' is a high bar, and you certainly have to make allowances for those that cocked up in favorable circumstances as well as those that managed difficult circumstances pretty well.

Boris's bunch must be contenders but it's a crowded field and they have time to surprise us yet.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

*Pedant hat ON*

Railway stations do not of themselves head North.

*Pedant hat OFF*
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

moonshine said:

To be honest the only government in my lifetime who faced something as devastating as this was the war cabinet

I expect many governments across Europe, good or bad, will have their reputations extinguished by covid
    That's true, but much of the problem faced wasn't of that Governments own making. Although I suppose one could argue that the Chamberlain Conservative Governments appeasement policy led to the War, which was sorted by the Churchill Coalition Government.

Inclined to agree that some will come out with reputations somewhat damaged, some less so.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I don't know about the others. But if the PM and cabinet didn't know about it until Friday then why were they warning us about it 4 days earlier on Monday?
  • Options

moonshine said:

'Worst Government' is a high bar, and you certainly have to make allowances for those that cocked up in favorable circumstances as well as those that managed difficult circumstances pretty well.

Boris's bunch must be contenders but it's a crowded field and they have time to surprise us yet.
    You would not normally judge a government in the heat of a crisis, it could go either way
  • Options
    This was the substance of my letter to the Gambling Commission which I published on here.

You don't think they are copying me, do you?
  • Options

moonshine said:

You would not normally judge a government in the heat of a crisis, it could go either way
    In this case, they could go out of the door or out of the window.
  • Options

moonshine said:

That's true, but much of the problem faced wasn't of that Governments own making. Although I suppose one could argue that the Chamberlain Conservative Governments appeasement policy led to the War, which was sorted by the Churchill Coalition Government.

Inclined to agree that some will come out with reputations somewhat damaged, some less so.
    Chamberlain's Appeasement policy did not lead to the war. At worst, it was misguided and led to a war at the wrong time. But what led to the war was Hitler's determination to seize Eastern Europe, which was a stated ambition of his from 1923 onwards and therefore nothing to do with Chamberlain.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Cummings behaviour means that it is fair game for everyone else.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

There are many of us who support Brexit because it was democratically voted for but who reject the absurdities of the ERG
    Probably goes for most people. But there is a minority who are gung ho for severing links with Europe. I used to idly contemplate what the size of that minority might be but then there was a survey published on here which answered the question. It was around 17%. I suppose that is the target market for the Farage "betrayal" line when the deal comes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.

Quite. But from the Tories?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.
    Actually it is - in the budget negotiations some years back. They crowed about it in their through-the-door bumf for some time.
    Only after the Scottish Government cut numbers due to lack of funding.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I don't know about the others. But if the PM and cabinet didn't know about it until Friday then why were they warning us about it 4 days earlier on Monday?
    You cannot ignore the devolved nations as the reaction yesterday was co-ordinated and very much the same

The advice was on Friday and if the government and devolved parliaments had acted before that it would not have been on the advice and they would have been widely attacked
  • Options

FF43 said:

Because the advice doesn't go from zero to full overnight.

On Monday they knew there was a new strain that appeared to be increasing transmission but how much was unknown. So the advice changed and the relevant region was moved into Tier 3.

On Thursday NERVTAG reported the new strain was even worse than was previously envisioned. Hence the emergency recall of the Covid O Committee that had already met earlier that day and the emergency statements by Johnson, Sturgeon and Drakeford the following day.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Actually for once a pretty good reproduction of the authentic Blitz spirit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Probably goes for most people. But there is a minority who are gung ho for severing links with Europe. I used to idly contemplate what the size of that minority might be but then there was a survey published on here which answered the question. It was around 17%. I suppose that is the target market for the Farage "betrayal" line when the deal comes.
    Yes but a deal will be the moment hopefully that the country moves on
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

moonshine said:

The Boris government is applying a reasoned course of sensible moderation. Yes... gave me a good chuckle that one. The reason they haven’t laid out a coherent strategy is because they don’t have one. They pull in opposite directions at the same time and bounce from one communications blunder to the next. And we end up with the worst of all worlds.
  • Options

FF43 said:

On Monday they knew there was a new strain that appeared to be increasing transmission but how much was unknown. So the advice changed and the relevant region was moved into Tier 3.

On Thursday NERVTAG reported the new strain was even worse than was previously envisioned. Hence the emergency recall of the Covid O Committee that had already met earlier that day and the emergency statements by Johnson, Sturgeon and Drakeford the following day.
    Indeed. My point is that having known their were awaiting news about how much worse this new strain was the government chose to attack schools and claim the opposition wanted to cancel Christmas. The politically smart option would have been to soften people up for what was likely to come. As Whitty has strongly inferred he was advising
  • Options

FF43 said:

You cannot ignore the devolved nations as the reaction yesterday was co-ordinated and very much the same

The advice was on Friday and if the government and devolved parliaments had acted before that it would not have been on the advice and they would have been widely attacked
    I get easily confused, why can't I ignore the response of the devolved nations? Isnt that the whole point of devolution? Each part of the UK gets to decide its own rules on devolved matters and hold their own politicians accountable?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,183
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

A story to illustrate.

So much for the Union.

Quite. But from the Tories?
    So you want the Tories to scrap Holyrood and reimpose direct rule from Westminster then? I am sure Boris could arrange for that next year if you really want
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,295

Scott_xP said:

Yes. You’ve convinced me. The cowardice of us Londoners is well known. We indeed are the scum of the Earth. If only we could all be as flawless as the saintly Scots, braver than brave, gooder than good. But there is clearly something in our DNA that renders us incapable of basic humanity.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    HYUFD said:
    Still more disastrous polling for the Prime Minister as the nation ... overwhelmingly supports his decisions?? [Shurely shome mishtake - Ed]
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The Boris government is applying a reasoned course of sensible moderation. Yes... gave me a good chuckle that one. The reason they haven’t laid out a coherent strategy is because they don’t have one. They pull in opposite directions at the same time and bounce from one communications blunder to the next. And we end up with the worst of all worlds.
    It does seem the government have overwhelming support for their action this weekend but whether that transfers to improved poll ratings time will tell
  • Options

FF43 said:

Indeed. My point is that having known their were awaiting news about how much worse this new strain was the government chose to attack schools and claim the opposition wanted to cancel Christmas. The politically smart option would have been to soften people up for what was likely to come. As Whitty has strongly inferred he was advising
    I called Williamson a damn fool at the time for the schools thing.

Even without the NERVTAG report threatening to sue to keep schools open for three whole days (not weeks or months) was absolutely futile.

Williamson is an idiot. Doesn't know how to pick his battles. There was nothing to be won from that one. For the sake of three whole days just let it slide. Idiot.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I get easily confused, why can't I ignore the response of the devolved nations? Isnt that the whole point of devolution? Each part of the UK gets to decide its own rules on devolved matters and hold their own politicians accountable?
    The virus does not react to the devolved nature of the UK and coordinated action across the UK is essential
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Betting news

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1340635827668475904?s=19

Combined with the polling I think it will be 2-0 to the GOP.
  • Options

Believe me I will be only too pleased to acknowledge this if and when evidence surfaces. I'd like to see us make a decent effort of capitalising on our sovereignity though if only so that we will know unambigously before long just how successful the enterprise has been, or not, as the case may be.
    It will be interesting to see.

On a theoretical/academic view the implementation of an independent trade policy can be judged fairly now that the incompetent Fox has been removed.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

They have laid out a coherent strategy.

The strategy is to get out of this via vaccinations. And they have managed to ensure we are first in the entire world to get the vaccine.

That's a pretty damn good strategy. Every nation in Europe is struggling right now, the big difference between the UK and the rest of Europe isn't case numbers, it isn't deaths, it isn't lockdowns, the number one difference is we are vaccinating the vulnerable already.

I have seen countless people here now say they have a loved one vaccinated or are vaccinated themselves. I have three loved ones vaccinated already (two vulnerable, one healthcare worker).

Get on with vaccinating people is the only viable exit strategy. It is happening already.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Even without the NERVTAG report threatening to sue to keep schools open for three whole days (not weeks or months) was absolutely futile.

Williamson is an idiot. Doesn't know how to pick his battles. There was nothing to be won from that one. For the sake of three whole days just let it slide. Idiot.
    Not disagreeing with the idiocy of Williamson.

But I wonder if Greenwich council went with the proper procedures and negotiations before making the announcement.
  • Options

FF43 said:

The virus does not react to the devolved nature of the UK and coordinated action across the UK is essential
    That doesn't make any sense. The virus doesnt react to the borders anywhere. Can I not judge my governments actions without looking at the response of every govt in the world?

We have chosen devolution for good or bad. I dont mind either way between a single govt, devolution or independence but it is silly to choose devolution and then pretend its a single govt.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes but a deal will be the moment hopefully that the country moves on
    "Move on" - You have succeeded, I think, in coining and owning a catchphrase. Hats off.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Are we still the only European country with an approved vaccine? How long are the EU going to wait for the EMA? The Germans are apparently seriously unhappy and rightly so.
    I read a report this morning that 15,000 avoudable deaths within the EU will come about as a result of the delay in the vaccine
    In hindsight UK government looks good to have bitten the bullet with fast tracking :). Or is it related though to throwing cash at stocks? How much has it cost economy to throw so much money at vaccine buying?
    I do not know but it must a lot
    I agree with you Big G. I’m still not saying our government done the wrong thing, but eye watering sums of money to middlemen to jump a q may look bad in several ways, once the satisfaction of getting vaccinated before EU wears off, the eye watering sums just to shady middlemen will be compared to the cost of free school meals for example and give impression of not good use of tax payers money?

Personally I don’t think UK government have boosted the anti vaccine contingent by cutting corners, so its EU who have made the mistake, but all the wealthy countries of the world use their wealth to leave the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worlds behind in getting hands on vaccine might not show up well in the long run? Suppose that is wether our mind set is in “look after your own” or “lend a hand to everyone” and Brexit Global Britain is definitely the former and we will all have to get used to this mindset?
  • Options

On a theoretical/academic view the implementation of an independent trade policy can be judged fairly now that the incompetent Fox has been removed.

To be honest I'd be happy enough to see the £/Euro exchange rates and our international credit rating return to pre-referendum levels, but I don't think either is very likely for some considerable while.
  • Options

FF43 said:

But I wonder if Greenwich council went with the proper procedures and negotiations before making the announcement.
    Probably not. I don't know.

But for the sake of three days it probably doesn't matter either. Some common sense should have applied rather than storming off like some jumped up Eric Cartman screaming "Respect mah authoritah!"
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Betting news

To the relief of Binden?
  • Options

To be honest I'd be happy enough to see the £/Euro exchange rates and our international credit rating return to pre-referendum levels, but I don't think either is very likely for some considerable while.
    Why?

Given our endemic trade deficit the £/€ exchange rate was surely overvalued.

If the £/€ exchange rate goes south but the trade deficit closes then might that not be a good thing?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Betting news

I’m certain this is going to be two nil to GOP, many indicators point to it including the polls. Leaves Biden pretty much a lame duck president the senate in control of opponents in a very divided USA.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,049

Belgium closes rail and air links from UK for 24 hours

Have they kidnapped Frost ?

They couldn't afford to feed him.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Probably not. I don't know.

But for the sake of three days it probably doesn't matter either. Some common sense should have applied rather than storming off like some jumped up Eric Cartman screaming "Respect mah authoritah!"
    Williamson seems that type.

As does the DfE.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well yes everything Redwood says in that Tweet is reasonable, unless the EU move further as I hope they do.

The difference is Redwood doesn't want the EU to move I think. He wants No Deal I suspect, I'm just willing to accept it as possibly necessary.
    The EU could move to the South Pacific and it wouldn't be far enough for Redwood.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,183
    gealbhan said:

Alistair said:

Betting news

I’m certain this is going to be two nil to GOP, many indicators point to it including the polls. Leaves Biden pretty much a lame duck president the senate in control of opponents in a very divided USA.
    Indeed, Biden would be the first incoming President to take the oath of office with his party not in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989, reflects the fact the US remains a deeply divided nation
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,049
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

It's quite a contrast with the Hunger Games people on benefits have to go through.
  • Options

Why?

Given our endemic trade deficit the £/€ exchange rate was surely overvalued.

If the £/€ exchange rate goes south but the trade deficit closes then might that not be a good thing?
    Just suggesting them as benchmarks, Philip. I recall the exchange rate dropped sharply after the referendum and the drop in credit-rating followed soon after.

I'm not saying these are definitive or that other circustances need not be considered, but they're not bad broad-brush indicators. I mean, if Brexit was such a great idea, why didn't they both move up?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

HYUFD said:
    Still more disastrous polling for the Prime Minister as the nation ... overwhelmingly supports his decisions?? [Shurely shome mishtake - Ed]
    I haven't met anybody who thought the 5-day bubble was a good idea.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Shows how out of step with public opinion government policy was before late u turn. Thanks for flagging that up 😁
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Are we still the only European country with an approved vaccine? How long are the EU going to wait for the EMA? The Germans are apparently seriously unhappy and rightly so.
    I read a report this morning that 15,000 avoudable deaths within the EU will come about as a result of the delay in the vaccine
    In hindsight UK government looks good to have bitten the bullet with fast tracking :). Or is it related though to throwing cash at stocks? How much has it cost economy to throw so much money at vaccine buying?
    I do not know but it must a lot
    I agree with you Big G. I’m still not saying our government done the wrong thing, but eye watering sums of money to middlemen to jump a q may look bad in several ways, once the satisfaction of getting vaccinated before EU wears off, the eye watering sums just to shady middlemen will be compared to the cost of free school meals for example and give impression of not good use of tax payers money?

Personally I don’t think UK government have boosted the anti vaccine contingent by cutting corners, so its EU who have made the mistake, but all the wealthy countries of the world use their wealth to leave the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worlds behind in getting hands on vaccine might not show up well in the long run? Suppose that is wether our mind set is in “look after your own” or “lend a hand to everyone” and Brexit Global Britain is definitely the former and we will all have to get used to this mindset?
    We can and will lend a hand to everyone but in case of emergency always put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Alistair said:

Betting news

Market drifting that way too. I'm now more hopeful than confident of the '50/50 Harris Rules' scenario.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,295

HYUFD said:
    Good of you to admit how disastrously out of step with public opinion the PM was before he was reluctatnly forced into this decision yesterday. I hope you're not a spin doctor because you're not very good at it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. You’ve convinced me. The cowardice of us Londoners is well known. We indeed are the scum of the Earth. If only we could all be as flawless as the saintly Scots, braver than brave, gooder than good. But there is clearly something in our DNA that renders us incapable of basic humanity.
    Grow a skin you touchy twat.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Betting news

To the relief of Binden?
    No, I don't think so. I think he'd rather not be stymied by the GOP - particularly this GOP.
  • Options
    Since the government was seemingly willing to allow C-19 to remain in the English population at a much higher level than many other parts of the world, so long as the NHS was not overwhelmed, was it not therefore more likely that more mutations would likely be occurring here in England that other places which tried to keep the infection rates far lower?
This discussion has been closed.