Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 – With the counts continuing in several key states Biden is not yet claiming victory – politi

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On the allegation about Biden's votes suddenly jumping by thousands of votes when Trump's doesn't: unclear if this is right, but even if it is, I don't think it's suspicious. Surely the normal thing to do in a manual count would be to catalogue the votes for a given candidate in chunks of (say) 1000, then put ten of those together in chunks of ten thousand, and periodically add batches of those ten-thousand chunks to your overall count.

If true then that explains it, but is there any evidence that this happened? I didn't see any similar jumps for Trump in any state or for Biden in non-marginals.
    Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not, he's not my President and I'm up if it turns out the way it looks as though it is.

But what really gets me is the hypocrisy of those on here who say the likes of @DAlexander is pedalling conspiracy theories etc etc but, if a 200% turnout happened in a heavily Republican area that swung a state election, would be screaming at the top of their voices about the election is rigged, it's a travesty etc etc. We would be getting detailed explanations about how democracy is in danger etc etc.

Same point @isam made re people criticising Trump for dragging this through the courts when the Democrats have been using the impeachment process to remove an elected President because they didn't like him. It was as bad as the sh1t with Bill Clinton. Jesus, you even had protestors with votive candles to Robert Mueller.

Just admit it, you want him out and any means will do. Great if it is done democratically but you would be quite happy to accept fraud involved if it got the outcome you wanted.
    But the same hypocrisy runs both ways too.

There's been no criticism from the same people who are so exercised over this, than over the attempts to prevent mailed ballots being delivered, to the extent that a Republican appointed Judge is demanding to know why his order to the USPS to stop sitting on ballots was disregarded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/11/03/election-ballot-delays-usps/?outputType=amp

That's 7% of all ballots in 15 states.
    And, by the way, that's definitely missing ballots, rather than theoretically fraudulent ballots.
    Strictly speaking they are not all 'definitely missing' so much as definitely unaccounted for.

Whether you accept the USPS explanation in its entirety is a matter of judgment (especially considering what has gone on in the organisation recently), but there is no hard evidence that all those ballots are missing.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/04/us/politics/usps-ballots.html
    ...Roughly 300,000 ballots that the Postal Service says it processed showed no scan confirming their delivery to ballot-counting sites, according to data filed recently in federal court in Washington, D.C., leaving voter-rights advocates concerned.
    Postal officials said that just because a ballot never received a final scan before going out for delivery, it did not mean that it wasn’t delivered. A machine scanning ballots for final processing can sometimes miss ballots that are stuck together or have smudged bar codes. And hand-sorted ballots typically do not receive a final scan before delivery...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

On the allegation about Biden's votes suddenly jumping by thousands of votes when Trump's doesn't: unclear if this is right, but even if it is, I don't think it's suspicious. Surely the normal thing to do in a manual count would be to catalogue the votes for a given candidate in chunks of (say) 1000, then put ten of those together in chunks of ten thousand, and periodically add batches of those ten-thousand chunks to your overall count.

If true then that explains it, but is there any evidence that this happened? I didn't see any similar jumps for Trump in any state or for Biden in non-marginals.
    Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not,
    L
    O
    L
    !
    Well, actually I do. The meltdown on here would be epic.

I can imagine crying into your kale salad :)
    There is something to be said for that. Goodness only knows what the americna left would have done in that situation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    LOL - GA moves onto provisional ballots tomorrow and then military ballots after that.

You know what that means - the 61k ballots still to count are not the whole story - there will be more!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Of course 16 and 17 year olds have no vote in Westminster elections.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

The other thing I've noticed about American elections is that the counts are very partisan in a ways ours are not.

I've been to so many counts, and there's a sense of bonhomie and relief that it is over, and there's nothing more you can do.

The only bits of nastiness/kerfuffle was back in 2008/09 when the BNP kicked off and didn't want to share a stage with the winning (non white) candidates and a few years ago the Kipper delaying the result because their egos wanted more votes and they were contesting every rejected ballot papers, papers no returning officer in the country would acept.

I dont know last year was involved in a Council Ward count that was tied, 1st recount was tied LAB/LD agreed that a 2nd recount would be final and if still tied a coin would be tossed to decide

2ND RECOUNT ENDED IN A LAB WIN BY 1

Not much bonne amis from our LD opponents who stormed off.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I think some of those speculating on Trump's future if (once?) he loses have forgotten the protections and other benefits the US awards to past presidents. He is, for example, "Mr President" for life, and maintains his armed guard.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085
    Mal557 said:

Massive mail-in in Penn.

Down to around 700K left to count.

CNN

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1324368202139357186?s=21
    Not handling it too well, is he? Will he even attend Biden’s inauguration?
    I was going to say he's lost the plot but then that happened a long time ago. He really is a petulant child who just has aged badly.
    He's going out as he came in. (1) Because of votes. (2) With little dignity.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Which is why Survation exclude them from this question.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why is it taking so long to count these ballots?

It seems every time Trump looks like he might have a chance there is a massive delay for no reason then a big dump of Biden votes.

Because the GOP controlled PA legislature kept up daft rules like secrecy envelopes, and no vote being able to be tabulated before the day starts.
    Trump also discouraged his supporters from using VBM. And he's absolubtely despised in Philadelphia in particular.
    It's not just that it is slow, it is a slow but steady speed and then suddenly stops completely for a few hours.

Georgia hasn't changed for hours now.
    What time is it in Georgia?
    It's always breaktime with how slow they are, so middle of the night makes little difference.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

Why is it taking so long to count these ballots?

It seems every time Trump looks like he might have a chance there is a massive delay for no reason then a big dump of Biden votes.

The reason there is a delay is because the GOP legislators in these states refused to permit the early counting of these votes.
    Early counting? The election finished 2 days ago.

I'm talking about delays since the voting has finished.

Meanwhile 7 counties in Milwaukee have more votes than registered voters, 2 over 200%.

https://mkecitywire.com/stories/564495243-analysis-seven-milwaukee-wards-report-more-2020-presidential-votes-than-registered-voters-biden-nets-146k-votes-in-city

No wonder they managed to get 90% turnout for the whole state.
    All legitimate @DAlexander it's for the right candidate
    And the ward numbers with the highest % are all next to each other 269, 272, 273, 274, 277.

But that's just a coincidence.
    Quite remarkable that wards right next to each other should have similar demographics and voting patterns.
    They aren't even the most Biden-friendly wards - one is majority Trump votes.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Nate Silver calculates that votes yet to come in Georgia are from counties that lean on average 19 points more to the Democrats than the rest of the state. He concludes that on the basis of 61,000 outstanding votes overtaking Trump looks achievable for Biden
  • Options
    GA Biden drifted to 1.6 not sure if some news about to be bad from Biden

I would be shocked if 61k doesnt close the 18k with Military to decide next Tuesday
  • Options
    Endillion said:

I think some of those speculating on Trump's future if (once?) he loses have forgotten the protections and other benefits the US awards to past presidents. He is, for example, "Mr President" for life, and maintains his armed guard.

I don't know why I hate the american habit of referring people by their most senior held office, after they no longer hold it, but I really do. Maybe it's because whilst people are unlikely to forget who the president is, its very confusing for me to know if the person referred to as Governor, or Senator still holds that office or not.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited November 2020
    Dems drifting on exchange for GA and 365 now only 4/6.
  • Options
    Shares flying again today: Dow +600
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited November 2020
    MikeL said:

LOL - GA moves onto provisional ballots tomorrow and then military ballots after that.

You know what that means - the 61k ballots still to count are not the whole story - there will be more!

It was 25k more, then 50k, then 65k, now more......
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Mal557 said:

So Philly officials (who i trust) say there are 120K votes left to be counted there. so if those go (worst case) 3 to 1 to Biden thats +60K off the lead. Still dont beleive there are nearly 600K (The 700k figure quoted less 120 in Philly) uncounted mail votes elsewhere but who knows,

There were reports that Republican districts were refusing to count mail ballots without a court order. It’s possible they haven’t even reported them and they are missing from the numbers.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

The other thing I've noticed about American elections is that the counts are very partisan in a ways ours are not.

I've been to so many counts, and there's a sense of bonhomie and relief that it is over, and there's nothing more you can do.

The only bits of nastiness/kerfuffle was back in 2008/09 when the BNP kicked off and didn't want to share a stage with the winning (non white) candidates and a few years ago the Kipper delaying the result because their egos wanted more votes and they were contesting every rejected ballot papers, papers no returning officer in the country would acept.

In my count (first time ever) last year, my opponent even intervened when the counter accidentally put two ballots cast for me into his tray. (He did say, "Looking at the numbers so far, I don't think it's going to make much difference, mind you...")

(I returned the favour by being very tolerant on a couple of ambiguous ballots later on)
  • Options

MikeL said:

Yes, the GOP Governor and GOP controlled Georgia legislature really have messed this up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Ralston sounding more bearish on holding NV on Twitter.

My late Trump bet feels good right now
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    So far as I can ascertain from the DDHQ website not a single additional vote has been certified in the US today, certainly not since 8am our time.
  • Options
  • Options

I dont know last year was involved in a Council Ward count that was tied, 1st recount was tied LAB/LD agreed that a 2nd recount would be final and if still tied a coin would be tossed to decide

Well that's the Lib Dems for you!
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

MikeL said:

You can see Trump rubbing his hands when he sees this. I believe things are being processed legally and properly in pretty much all cases, but,,,,,you can see how this varied information constantly changing on important matters play into his narrative.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

RobC said:

Surely once we blow the current mist away Biden will have won this fairly comfortably.

Its funny how people were saying for ages "don't overreact to early votes since the on the day GOP votes will be counted first in the key states" only for everyone to lose their mind at first when that happened!

Its turning out as a pretty solid and comfortable Biden victory once all the votes are counted.
    I wish I had remembered that on the night! I baled out of my Biden position to stop a potential £1,400 loss on Trump. I'm now £30 down on that bet rather than several hundred up.

I've learned a new principle. Bias your betting to the right wing populists. They often surprise. On that basis, I've taken a position on Trump in Pennsylvania, Nevada and Arizona (and Georgia) If I lose the lot, then at least Biden is home with 300+ ECs. But if only one of them surprises then I'm in the green. (Takes two surprises if it includes Georgia). I'll see how my new method works.
  • Options
  • Options
    But I was told on here that there were no unexplained delays all the time.
  • Options
    Ga SoS doing live press conference right now but sounds like he's only going through where the outstanding ballots are which is already posted
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MikeL said:

Probably not that many, though.

The ballots described in the Slate article I posted upthread (which I think would fall into the provisional category) were said to total maybe 3000. And none of those will be 'cured', and therefore counted, unless the individual voters produce affidavits that they are their ballots.
    Do we have a definition of what 'provisional ballots' includes ?

(edit - the Nate Cohen tweet just upthread seems to confirm the numbers are quite small.)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    GA update on Decision Desk not loaded yet by CNN:

Biden 815
    Trump 373

Not as high Biden % as recent numbers!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited November 2020
    Wtf is a provisional ballot? 'Only count this if it's close'?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Now CNN just load it - likely Republican county I suspect - so maybe perfectly OK for Biden
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Mal557 said:

MikeL said:

You can see Trump rubbing his hands when he sees this. I believe things are being processed legally and properly in pretty much all cases, but,,,,,you can see how this varied information constantly changing on important matters play into his narrative.
    Georgia has a famously Republican Secretary of State giving us those numbers...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    alex_ said:

Its over in Georgia SOS office now says over 61k still left in GA

Biden has to be better than the 1.5 available on BF

It’s like election officials (of all parties) are just trolling Trump. Offering low numbers of outstanding ballots to give him a chance and then just revising them upwards every couple of hours.
    Presumably they have to wait for the morning post before updating the numbers. 😅

• Options
    Is Vince Cable running the PA count?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited November 2020

It's where you vote but then the authorities check if you are eligible to vote afterwards.

Usually it covers mostly people who turn up to vote on the day and aren't on the register or if their postal hasn't turned up
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522

For the next Presidential election I propose sending the counters from Sunderland to all the key states to train, conduct, and oversee the vote counting.

We can count 32 million votes in a few hours, so get your fingers out America.

You're assuming, rather rashly, that the good people of Sunderland will be free to travel by then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not, he's not my President and I'm up if it turns out the way it looks as though it is.

But what really gets me is the hypocrisy of those on here who say the likes of @DAlexander is pedalling conspiracy theories etc etc but, if a 200% turnout happened in a heavily Republican area that swung a state election, would be screaming at the top of their voices about the election is rigged, it's a travesty etc etc. We would be getting detailed explanations about how democracy is in danger etc etc.

Same point @isam made re people criticising Trump for dragging this through the courts when the Democrats have been using the impeachment process to remove an elected President because they didn't like him. It was as bad as the sh1t with Bill Clinton. Jesus, you even had protestors with votive candles to Robert Mueller.

Just admit it, you want him out and any means will do. Great if it is done democratically but you would be quite happy to accept fraud involved if it got the outcome you wanted.
    But the same hypocrisy runs both ways too.

There's been no criticism from the same people who are so exercised over this, than over the attempts to prevent mailed ballots being delivered, to the extent that a Republican appointed Judge is demanding to know why his order to the USPS to stop sitting on ballots was disregarded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/11/03/election-ballot-delays-usps/?outputType=amp

That's 7% of all ballots in 15 states.
    "when the Democrats have been using the impeachment process to remove an elected President because they didn't like him."
    Not quite the case, the Dems really tried not to bring impeachment proceedings against Trump, Pelosi kept truning down those Dems that wanted to, but when the President asked a foreign power to interfere in the US Election they had no choice.

The whistleblower, who we now know was a member of the CIA and detailed to the National Security Council, claimed that a phone call in July 2019 between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky:
    "In the course of my official duties, I have received information from multiple U.S. Government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election. This interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the President’s main domestic political rivals. The President’s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well."
    The whistleblower, who we now know was a member of the CIA and detailed to the National Security Council, claimed that a phone call in July 2019 between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

IIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIII. IIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIII. IIIIIIIII <----can't win here
    2056 . . 2057
  • Options

People who have query re registration so they are allowed to vote but keep separate whilst check they are legally allowed to vote.
  • Options
    There may be a very logical reason but this really is a bit of a bad decision IMO, and again only adds to Trumps narrative however innocent it may be
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm starting to get the fear again.

• Options

For the next Presidential election I propose sending the counters from Sunderland to all the key states to train, conduct, and oversee the vote counting.

You're assuming, rather rashly, that the good people of Sunderland will be free to travel by then.
    Indeed, the other problem is that will the Americans be able to understand the Geordie accent?

Most of us in the UK cannot.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobC said:

Surely once we blow the current mist away Biden will have won this fairly comfortably.

Its funny how people were saying for ages "don't overreact to early votes since the on the day GOP votes will be counted first in the key states" only for everyone to lose their mind at first when that happened!

Its turning out as a pretty solid and comfortable Biden victory once all the votes are counted.
    I wish I had remembered that on the night! I baled out of my Biden position to stop a potential £1,400 loss on Trump. I'm now £30 down on that bet rather than several hundred up.

I've learned a new principle. Bias your betting to the right wing populists. They often surprise. On that basis, I've taken a position on Trump in Pennsylvania, Nevada and Arizona (and Georgia) If I lose the lot, then at least Biden is home with 300+ ECs. But if only one of them surprises then I'm in the green. (Takes two surprises if it includes Georgia). I'll see how my new method works.
    Actually, I'd be wary of that principle.

The only principle worth sticking to is challenging your reasoning and confirmation bias *whatever* the situation is, and speaking and listening as widely as you can outside your own echo chamber, otherwise you'll always end up fighting the last war.
  • Options

It's where you vote but then the authorities check if you are eligible to vote afterwards.

Usually it covers mostly people who turn up to vote on the day and aren't on the register or if their postal hasn't turned up
    Ty. So my votes won't count then? I sent a few, just in case.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

On day registrations iirc.
  • Options

A ballot that may be invalid - I. E. An on the day ballot when the voter has no confirmation that their mail in ballot has been received.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Not many, though.
    Thing is, there will be an audit trail for all these ballots; the people who run the process in GA are Republicans. They wrote the electoral rules to advantage themselves, as we know from past elections and reports (eg polling stations in Democratic strongholds being relocated the day before the vote) and from this election. They are overseeing this process, and there are audit trails and observers from both parties.

Just how is it that the Democrats are managing to manipulate it in the way that you suggest ?
    Or could it simply be that the rules allowed for postal voting, and those ballots don't get added to the total of ballots until they start getting counted ?
  • Options
    Mal557 said:
    He’d have won it even more clearly with no pesky democrat votes at all.
  • Options

But I was told on here that there were no unexplained delays all the time.
    I suppose the thing is that it’s just very unusual for the complete counting of votes to be time pressured. They count a load on election night, the networks call the state and the next President, and everyone moves on, whilst the complete counting and certification is just done at a leisurely pace in combination with people’s normal jobs etc. With a formal deadline for completion of weeks into the future.

It appears that many of the States just haven’t woken up to the fact that they people are actually officially waiting on them for answers this time!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Need a good vote dump from PA.
  • Options
    So, how do we think it'd be going if Hillary had been reselected?
  • Options

Ty. So my votes won't count then? I sent a few, just in case.
    Depends who they were for. Apparently the votes for Trump should be counted come what may.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    I wonder if the Georgia Secretary of State will just declare Trump the winner.
  • Options

Mal557 said:
    He’d have won it even more clearly with no pesky democrat votes at all.
    No shit Sherlock.
  • Options
    Has the Penn Secretary of State confirmed how many outstanding ballots there are?
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407
    kle4 said:

Candidates and agents of all parties are often pretty similar kinds of people, with similar interests, and who bump into each other a lot. I find them to be more pleasant with each other by far than their activists and supporters would be. Some local politics round my way has gotten strained mostly because a bunch of new people in one party are using more antagonistic tactics when the old guard, who know the opposite side a good people, think that's crappy.
    There's a bit of rose-coloured glasses going on here.
    In the 2010 GE, my wife stood in a new Hampshire constituency (all of 70 miles from our house), and lost to the Tory George Hollingbery who went on to become a junior minster. After a horrendously protracted 8-hour count, the declaration was made at 6.30 am.

Her polite post declaration 60 second speech ("my thanks to all our workers and to the returning officer....") was constantly interrupted by a drunk Tory activist with chants of "Go home you carpetbagger". Not a single Tory attempted to silence him. There was no apology from the successful Tory candidate - an Oxford contemporary of Boris Johnson.

At some point nastiness infected a certain stratum of the Tory party - who, in my experience, are these days the first to whine at being criticised, and the first to counter with ad hominem smears. And it's interesting that in our home constituency, the slightly younger Tory MP NEVER mixes at counts with the other parties, and now avoids any kind of human contact during campaigns.

• Options

Usually yes, but I've been involved in a couple of count shenanigans but maybe that's just me. When I ran for council in 2015 in an unlikely for Labour seat I lost, went to find the two winning Independent councillors and shook their hands offering my congratulations. Not long after His Eminence the Mayor-for-life of Thornaby comes over with a coterie in tow.

At this point I had never met him in person. "Who built your house?" was the first thing he said to me. "Erm Barratts...?" I replied. "No, I did" he said and then proceeded to berate me about bloody Labour always acting against the interests of the town. "No, I'm sure the cheque went to Barratts" I responded along with "were Labour acting against our interests when you were a Labour councillor then?".

At the 2019 count the campaign had got so nasty that he'd posted a rant on Facebook at 3am saying that Mrs RP and I didn't understand Thornaby as we weren't born here and "would do better off back where they came from". Followed on polling day by a drive by megaphone argument between him, us and various residents. In front of the local funeral directors who were forming up a procession. So we formed a protective bubble and did our best to stay away as every time he saw us he marched over and started ranting until he got told to Shut Up.

However. It is a democracy. That he defeated Mrs RP and myself so heavily last year made us chuckle. Oh dear Thornaby, you voted for *that*. Could be worse. In neighbouring Ingleby Barwick they elected a man who claimed stormy weather was God's punishment for gay marriage.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I wonder if the Georgia Secretary of State will just declare Trump the winner.

Doesn’t even need to, he’s already claimed it and I’m pretty sure he said “shotgun”.
  • Options
    The number discrepancies in PA are killing me. And not being able to access the states result site and having to rely on 3rd parties is beyond frustrating.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:
    When did 'Conservatives' get re-branded to 'Rishi Sunak'? Don't get me wrong, it has a certain ring to it :smile:
    During EOTHO restaurants round here all had posters of Rishi in their windows. I do not know if this was the Treasury's doing, or just what each individual restaurateur did.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited November 2020
    justin124 said:

These ones will, the next time we get one. (Probably.)

Also, the survery probably asked about Holyrood as well. And indyref. Which include 16/17yos.
  • Options
    Nate Cohn in the NYT thinks a 100,000 margin for Biden in Pennsylvania may be a conservative estimate. Also thinks it likely that Biden will will Arizona, Georgia and Nevada, though not certain:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/upshot/biden-election-results-votes.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

I think whoever got the nomination in 2020 (probably not D Trump) would be cruising to victory.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884

Indeed, the other problem is that will the Americans be able to understand the Geordie accent?

Geordie? Top trolling...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MaxPB said:

On day registrations iirc.
    Not the same, and I think the rules vary from state to state. In NV it is people who have been excluded from the electoral roll and who have not otherwise voted who think they are eligible to vote
  • Options
    Chatham County 17k
    Clayton County 7k
    forsyth 5k
    fulton 11k
    Gwinnett 7k

4 out of 5 Dem

2 biggest are cica 80/20
  • Options

MikeL said:

Yes, the GOP Governor and GOP controlled Georgia legislature really have messed this up.
    So as it looks like it will be tight is this a contender for a seat where they ignore the vote and send their own GOP electors?
  • Options

Alistair said:

My reading of Ralston is that he still thinks Biden has it but that Trump may even take the lead whilst the count is ongoing.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Chatham County 17k
    Clayton County 7k
    forsyth 5k
    fulton 11k
    Gwinnett 7k

4 out of 5 Dem

2 biggest are cica 80/20

60% of 28,000 is 14,400. Not enough?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

And you, sir, cannot tell the difference between a Geordie accent and a Mackem accent!

Anyhow, a women in Alabama liked my accent!
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

MikeL said:

Not many, though.
    Thing is, there will be an audit trail for all these ballots; the people who run the process in GA are Republicans. They wrote the electoral rules to advantage themselves, as we know from past elections and reports (eg polling stations in Democratic strongholds being relocated the day before the vote) and from this election. They are overseeing this process, and there are audit trails and observers from both parties.

Just how is it that the Democrats are managing to manipulate it in the way that you suggest ?
    Or could it simply be that the rules allowed for postal voting, and those ballots don't get added to the total of ballots until they start getting counted ?
    Well you make a good point and I had a look and couldn't find who exactly runs the elections at a county level in Georgia.

However for Michigan it is completely decentralised, so presumably you'll have Republicans and Democrats running their local counties. So you can still have a Republican run state with counties run by Democrats during the election.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Reminder: Only 40% of votes counted in Alaska.

#dontsleeponak
  • Options

Very badly!
  • Options

I asked the same question, but I think it might include (for example) postal ballots where the voter forget to sign the security envelope. Such a ballot can be cured if the voter produces an affidavit that that is their vote - and the deadline for doing so in GA is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ha ha – read the tweet :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    Today's COVID update....looks like Excel has crashed again.

"Owing to technical difficulties, we have not received the data for England. We will update the service as soon as possible."
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

My reading of Ralston is that he still thinks Biden has it but that Trump may even take the lead whilst the count is ongoing.
    Yes, that's fair. I'm just skittish today.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    PA Dems say they expect to win by “sizeable margin”
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

kamski said:

felix said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

If I understand this right, then if Trump holds PA and AZ then he wins? Its all down to PA now?

Yes that’s right re winning. But if Biden gets AZ and NV he doesn’t need PA.

GA is the wildcard - If Biden gets that he doesn’t need 1 of AZ or NV - who knows where it’s at on that front. Hearing different things!
    Then maybe we should be topping up on Trump? GA not flipping and AZ still in play. This is still not over?
    Is there a small chance Trump could sneak through? Perhaps, but unlikely. He needs a lot to fall his way. Might be worth a flutter but DYOR.
    Obviously this is on my personal fear that the ogre isn´t dead- But the problem is, as I see it, that he in fact he actually is still very much alive. Georgia was flipping, but now that looks unlikely, AZ was Biden, but now isn´t, so whats to say that PA doesn´t flip either? Obviously this is down to a very few thousand, and it seems to me that Trump is value if such a small gap is still out there (even before we look to snookers in recounts or the courts). Any comfort or thoughts?
    So my understanding of all of them at this point is:

GA - too close to call. See update above from Nate Silver.

NV - probably expected Dem. My understanding is the ballots to be counted come mainly from Clark which is a big Dem area.

AZ - again the remaining ballots are generally more from Dem areas. But Trump does better here than mail ins elsewhere. So it is looking likely Dem but there is a risk it falls the wrong way.

PA - the Biden camp seem very optimistic here, nothing but good mood music. The way the results are breaking suggests that on current trends he’s done enough to have a small but ok lead. We just can’t be sure how much yet. Some are saying tens of thousands, others 100k+.

All in all I can’t really see a huge path opening up suddenly for Trump.
    Thanks... As others have said it really is ridiculous that when the popular vote is so clear that the result is still so much in doubt. It seems to me the real price should be closer to evens than the current market, but I wonder what would trigger the unwind under the current scenarios you name. If AZ and NV called for Trump before PA, I guess that would do it.
    Not ridiculous if you understand the basis of the US system for electing a President. You may not like it but it is designed to give more weight to small States.
    Many people understand (god knows it is repeated often enough on here!) the "basis bla bla bla" and still find it indefensibly ridiculous.
    It is people who say that small states don't matter in the USA, but are supporters of the EU, where Luxembourg gets a veto, that I don't understand.
    I voted remain, but am not a supporter of the EU, I just think on balance it is better to be in than out. I would prefer Luxembourg had less relative power. It seems you are confusing wanting to be in the EU, with agreeing exactly how it is structured and operates which would be an extremely niche position held by very few.
    A voice of a moderate British Remainer, a voice from which we hear far too little.

Thank you, and that's a perfectly reasonable position to have.
    🙄 That's the position of most "Remainers".
  • Options
    Some stats nerd has kindly worked out the figures based on whats remaining and on the current % of votes for those counties that have come in, it suggests a narrow Biden win, but ofc its only as estimate
    https://twitter.com/marcusowens/status/1324370793355218944
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,219
    Andy_JS said:
    Assisted death generally does not have the possibility of infecting others with a disease.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Nate Cohn in the NYT thinks a 100,000 margin for Biden in Pennsylvania may be a conservative estimate. Also thinks it likely that Biden will will Arizona, Georgia and Nevada, though not certain:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/upshot/biden-election-results-votes.html

CNN: The Democratic camp are saying they will win PA by a sizeable margin

CNN: The Trump campaign team think that they have lost but say "reality hasn't yet sunk in" for Trump himself
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Amazing how hard some soi-disant intellectuals find it to understand that spreading a deadly disease affects other people, not just the person doing the spreading.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Chatham County 17k
    Clayton County 7k
    forsyth 5k
    fulton 11k
    Gwinnett 7k

4 out of 5 Dem

2 biggest are cica 80/20

see my post above, some stats guy has kindly done the math
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Deletes
  • Options
    TimT said:

Chatham County 17k
    Clayton County 7k
    forsyth 5k
    fulton 11k
    Gwinnett 7k

4 out of 5 Dem

2 biggest are cica 80/20

clayton is voting 85% biden to date. fulton 73%. gwinnett 58%. forsyth is 67% trump.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085
    Andy_JS said:
    I suppose one difference is that if you go abroad to die - and succeed - you will not be re-importing coronavirus to the UK?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ANYONE got an idea who is going to win this? I see that my 1/6 on Biden in now 1/8 but a quick read through this thread isn't telling me much.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Reminder: Only 40% of votes counted in Alaska.

#dontsleeponak

Others been frozen?
This discussion has been closed.