Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting at 1136 GMT Nov 4th 2020 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,796
    Without stacking the Supreme Court, which was probably a bad idea and now off the table, is there anything that can be done to the court eg mandatory retirement age? (Not that that might help the Dems now, with pretty young Republican appointments).

It's just so crazy that the dems have been screwed n the court because a very old woman didn't retire at the right moment or die a few months later. The justices themselves should not worry about working when ill or mad because the wrong president is in office.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Did the PA Secretary of state just say that there were 3 million mail ballots to count?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

We haven't talked about the Senate yet, but it looks like Susan Collin will just hang on in Maine (she'll only need about a quarter of second choice preferences), and Thom Tills will likely do the same in North Carolina. (He's polling a couple of points better than Trump.)

In the NC Special, the Dems have lucked out and it'll be Loeffler vs Warnock. The question is whether they are able to get their vote out for the Special.

That's a very impressive (likely ) result for Susan Collins, given she was behind in every poll.
    An incredible result.
  • Options
    Reducing my exposure to Trump at these prices - 5.4 at moment.

Getting a bad feeling my friends.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    alex_ said:

Did the PA Secretary of state just say that there were 3 million mail ballots to count?

1.1 m real

1.9m fake
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Anyone know exactly what time Farage placed his £10,000 bet on Trump? I know he likes mentioning the Brown Bottom in the gold market.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Robert, out of curiosity you suspect NV is 50/50 is that based purely on how close it is now , or do you see anything that suggests Trump can match these postal votes from Clark expected in tomorrow. I cant see Trumps path there if thats true as its being said ALL on the day votes are in. Am i missing something?
  • Options
    He knows full well. He's just trying to get the militia onto the streets.
  • Options
    RobD said:

NYT now saying only 86% of AZ counted

Up and down like a yo-yo.

From their website Timing of results:Due to an error in a Edison Research data feed of results, the estimate of the counted vote in Arizona is too high. The actual estimate is that 86% of the vote has been counted.
    I'm a getting the fear.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

If you were going to steal this election for the Dems, by finding lots of postal votes stuffed down the sofa, you couldn't do it in this scenario without grossly inflating the turnout could you?

There was much annoying pro-Trump trolling early this morning, but I think you just took the prize.
    Thanks. I am just trying to get it straight in my head. IF this happened, it would show as significantly elevated turnout in the 'late Biden surge' states that counted their postal ballots last, and turnout being as predicted, or at least significantly lower, in the 'Trump surge' states where they were counted first.
    At the end of the day, this is going to the SC. I’ve been told on good authority that the reason the Rs rushed through Barrett was not because they thought they would lose the Senate but that they were “terrified” (and this is their word, not mine) that the Democrats would continue to find postal ballots until the Ds won in the states. It’s essentially what happened in several of the CA House seats in 2018 (it was never proved but ballot harvesting was suspected).

This argument came from a very well connected, establishment Republican who is anti-Trump
    Even if everything was above board, it doesn't look good from a Trump supporter's perspective.

Most states count the postal votes first and on the day votes last, except the Democrat run marginal states where they do it in reverse, so they know exactly how many votes they need to win each state (and also by then which states they need to win).
    Surely the law in Pennsylvania preventing mail-in ballots from being counted or processed earlier was passed by the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania state assembly? (for example)
    I've certainly heard more push from Dems than Rs for work on postal votes to begin early, precisely to avoid Trump trying to claim victory on the night.
    Fair enough, although Trump might win PA anyway.

If the Dems wanted early counting, why didn't they do it in states they control?
    Which ones are you thinking of?
    Well for example Wisconsin, where this happened:

https://twitter.com/duckdiver19/status/1323973247189221378
    That was because Milwaukee declared almost all their mail in vote in one go.
    And the Dems got 100% of that? You can see the Dems gain 200k and the Reps get no extra votes at all.
    Almost yes, because Milwaukee is heavily Democrat and GOP voters were told to vote on the day. If you look at Milwaukee vs 2016 then there's clearly nothing out of the usual going on.
    Well I can believe 85%-15% I suppose...but 100%-0% all at once?

That just seems impossible and it happened in MI too

https://twitter.com/duckdiver19/status/1323974967617224704
    When people talked about it here it was 140k votes for Biden out of 150k. So Trump did receive 10k votes in that declaration. People staring at graphs afterwards are being silly.
    'Silly staring at graphs' isn't a rebuke I ever expected to see on PB. As long as it gets rid of Trump, we should ignore the data should we?
    But the graphs did not say what DAlexander and the tweeters said they said. They both showed increases to both Biden and Trump's vote tally. So the silliness isn't so much at staring at the graphs, but misreading them so patently.
    The more reason to stare at them, it would seem to me. On the face of it, to me, these results seem ridiculous. If it was Trump finding just enough miraculous postal votes in key states at the 11th hour to overturn Biden leads, the whole world would be losing their shit.
    I think that is exactly how Trump supporters will want to present this data. But it is neither ridiculous nor unexpected - if you simply look at which precincts were reporting when those tallies were dumped.
    Let's put it another way. Biden is leading in key states and looking as though he is cruising to victory. Then there is a sudden rush of postal votes, showing 90%+ to Trump, which then changes the dynamic, with almost no votes to Biden. You saying you would not be questioning what happened?
    Not if the one losing out discouraged using postal votes among his supporters. Hes provided an explanation.
    90%+.........?
    If he disparaged voting that way so much, why not? What's the right proportion? He cannot discourage people voting that way then act shocked his own supporters listened.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Mal557 said:

Summary of the Trump campaign statement

The Trump campaign just hosted a call with reporters, led by Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien.
    Stepien said that they are confident that "count all legal ballots, the president wins." They also believe that can still win Arizona if all legal ballots are counted.
    On Wisconsin, they believe it is a tight race and in "recount territory."
    In Michigan there are outlying Republican counties, and in Nevada late breaking mail-in voting helped Republicans -- predicting a win by 5,500 votes. They are also confident in a healthy lead in Georgia.

How are they defining all these "legal" ballots?
    Legal: Trump X Biden -
    Illegal: Trump - Biden X
  • Options
    Trudeau doesn't have come out with some shite.

Canada to Force Netflix, Amazon Prime to Pay for Local Content.

Ottawa unveiled Bill C-10 to collect $800 million from foreign streaming platforms by 2023 to tell Canadian stories.

Canada's federal government has unveiled long-awaited legislation to regulate U.S. streamers like Netflix and Disney+ and force them to pay for the production of Canadian film, TV and music product.

The proposed amendments to the federal Broadcasting Act will create a new "online company" category and for the first time regulate global media players active in the Canadian market. The resulting obligations will include foreign players having to subsidize the development, production and distribution of local entertainment and cultural content.

"We're asking these large and wealthy companies to invest in Canadian stories, in Canadian music, in Canadian artists," much as local cable TV providers and broadcasters already do, heritage minister Steven Guilbeault told an Ottawa press conference. He added U.S. digital platforms were already "investing in Canada," as Guilbeault did not distinguish between American and other foreign companies producing their own originals north of the border and hiring local creative and crews to do so, and investing in local content to stream on their global platforms.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/canada-to-force-netflix-amazon-prime-to-pay-for-local-content
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Mal557 said:

Robert, out of curiosity you suspect NV is 50/50 is that based purely on how close it is now , or do you see anything that suggests Trump can match these postal votes from Clark expected in tomorrow. I cant see Trumps path there if thats true as its being said ALL on the day votes are in. Am i missing something?

I think provisional ballots are same day.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, indeed, though he did sign it.

As an aside, Marc Morris' biography has a copy of the clauses at the back.

I read his Edward I bio, it was very good.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Failed to deliver to voters, or failed to return completed ballots for counting?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

If you were going to steal this election for the Dems, by finding lots of postal votes stuffed down the sofa, you couldn't do it in this scenario without grossly inflating the turnout could you?

There was much annoying pro-Trump trolling early this morning, but I think you just took the prize.
    Thanks. I am just trying to get it straight in my head. IF this happened, it would show as significantly elevated turnout in the 'late Biden surge' states that counted their postal ballots last, and turnout being as predicted, or at least significantly lower, in the 'Trump surge' states where they were counted first.
    At the end of the day, this is going to the SC. I’ve been told on good authority that the reason the Rs rushed through Barrett was not because they thought they would lose the Senate but that they were “terrified” (and this is their word, not mine) that the Democrats would continue to find postal ballots until the Ds won in the states. It’s essentially what happened in several of the CA House seats in 2018 (it was never proved but ballot harvesting was suspected).

This argument came from a very well connected, establishment Republican who is anti-Trump
    Even if everything was above board, it doesn't look good from a Trump supporter's perspective.

Most states count the postal votes first and on the day votes last, except the Democrat run marginal states where they do it in reverse, so they know exactly how many votes they need to win each state (and also by then which states they need to win).
    Surely the law in Pennsylvania preventing mail-in ballots from being counted or processed earlier was passed by the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania state assembly? (for example)
    I've certainly heard more push from Dems than Rs for work on postal votes to begin early, precisely to avoid Trump trying to claim victory on the night.

If the Dems wanted early counting, why didn't they do it in states they control?

And the Dems got 100% of that? You can see the Dems gain 200k and the Reps get no extra votes at all.
    Almost yes, because Milwaukee is heavily Democrat and GOP voters were told to vote on the day. If you look at Milwaukee vs 2016 then there's clearly nothing out of the usual going on.

When people talked about it here it was 140k votes for Biden out of 150k. So Trump did receive 10k votes in that declaration. People staring at graphs afterwards are being silly.
    'Silly staring at graphs' isn't a rebuke I ever expected to see on PB. As long as it gets rid of Trump, we should ignore the data should we?
    But the graphs did not say what DAlexander and the tweeters said they said. They both showed increases to both Biden and Trump's vote tally. So the silliness isn't so much at staring at the graphs, but misreading them so patently.
    The more reason to stare at them, it would seem to me. On the face of it, to me, these results seem ridiculous. If it was Trump finding just enough miraculous postal votes in key states at the 11th hour to overturn Biden leads, the whole world would be losing their shit.
    I think that is exactly how Trump supporters will want to present this data. But it is neither ridiculous nor unexpected - if you simply look at which precincts were reporting when those tallies were dumped.
    Let's put it another way. Biden is leading in key states and looking as though he is cruising to victory. Then there is a sudden rush of postal votes, showing 90%+ to Trump, which then changes the dynamic, with almost no votes to Biden. You saying you would not be questioning what happened?
    Not if the one losing out discouraged using postal votes among his supporters. Hes provided an explanation.
    90%+.........?
    Let's do some Maths

In 2016, Clinton won Wayne County by 67% to 29.5%

The mail-in ballots came in at 93% for Biden in that batch. Let's take Wayne as a proxy for all those mail-in ballots that came in terms of % in 2016.

So, even allowing that this is a heavily Democrat county and VBM heavily favours the Democrats, you are saying it is not strange that VBMs for Trump came in at 1/4 of what was already a low share vote?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

We could look at the data properly - which showed that Trump did receive votes at that time as well - or we could stare at graphs and make shit up.

Your call.
    Agreed. I am all for scrutinising the data, it was ignoring it I was objecting to.
  • Options
    Chris said:

CNN mapping a path to WH for Biden that needs NV and AZ.

Hmmmm..

I'm Biden green all the way, but this looks shaky still.

He obviously needs both of those, unless he wins one of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia or Alaska.
    Alaska would be cool. I'm on the state at 7.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    PA press conference - vigorously defending their election and counting process.

Although surely thanking the “hundreds of thousands of election workers” is wrong?
  • Options
    Penn - 1m+ to count
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Oh God, this isn't the sort of thing to lead to a rerun vote there is it? It gets dragged out enough as it is.
  • Options
    TimT said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    I take it you've never visited DC
    A few times. I wasn't wearing my MAGA hat though ;)
  • Options
    TimT said:

Mal557 said:

Would need to be a lot of provisionals to offset the Clarke postals but hopefully Ralston will have some figures of whats left tomorrow. One thing he did say is no declaration of final totals there til the 5th so nothing today
  • Options
    PA saying that arrival NEXT TUESDAY is the cut off for military and overseas votes to count.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    LOL. Very wise of you
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

Without stacking the Supreme Court, which was probably a bad idea and now off the table, is there anything that can be done to the court eg mandatory retirement age? (Not that that might help the Dems now, with pretty young Republican appointments).

It's just so crazy that the dems have been screwed n the court because a very old woman didn't retire at the right moment or die a few months later. The justices themselves should not worry about working when ill or mad because the wrong president is in office.

Nope. Appointment for life is in the constitution.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    IanB2 said:

PA saying that arrival NEXT TUESDAY is the cut off for military and overseas votes to count.

lol what? How about send the ballots out earlier. :D
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    I suppose it depends on whether there were many 90%+ batches of Dem votes in early voting in other close states or not.

If these are the only ones and it just so happens that they were found later on when Biden was otherwise going to lose, then that looks suspicious to me.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Love Republican gaslighting about election impropriety. They are the absolute hypocritical scum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh God, this isn't the sort of thing to lead to a rerun vote there is it? It gets dragged out enough as it is.
    Let's hope Biden doesn't need GA.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Anyone know exactly what time Farage placed his £10,000 bet on Trump? I know he likes mentioning the Brown Bottom in the gold market.

He backed it at 15/8 when Betfair was 3, so was probably the best value you could have got I think
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Trudeau doesn't have come out with some shite.

Canada to Force Netflix, Amazon Prime to Pay for Local Content.

Ottawa unveiled Bill C-10 to collect $800 million from foreign streaming platforms by 2023 to tell Canadian stories.

Canada's federal government has unveiled long-awaited legislation to regulate U.S. streamers like Netflix and Disney+ and force them to pay for the production of Canadian film, TV and music product.

The proposed amendments to the federal Broadcasting Act will create a new "online company" category and for the first time regulate global media players active in the Canadian market. The resulting obligations will include foreign players having to subsidize the development, production and distribution of local entertainment and cultural content.

"We're asking these large and wealthy companies to invest in Canadian stories, in Canadian music, in Canadian artists," much as local cable TV providers and broadcasters already do, heritage minister Steven Guilbeault told an Ottawa press conference. He added U.S. digital platforms were already "investing in Canada," as Guilbeault did not distinguish between American and other foreign companies producing their own originals north of the border and hiring local creative and crews to do so, and investing in local content to stream on their global platforms.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/canada-to-force-netflix-amazon-prime-to-pay-for-local-content

I think one in every five songs played on Canadian radio has to be by a Canadian artist. Which leads to a really quite unnecessary amount of Bryan Adams.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

TimT said:

Mal557 said:

Would need to be a lot of provisionals to offset the Clarke postals but hopefully Ralston will have some figures of whats left tomorrow. One thing he did say is no declaration of final totals there til the 5th so nothing today
    I think you are right that there will not be a lot of PV, and presumably each PV needs to be scrutinized to verify that the voter is indeed eligible and has not voted by other means.

Here is the chapeau sentence on PV in the Nevada law:

"Section 302 of the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) (42 U.S.C. §15482) creates the right for a potential voter to utilize a provisional ballot in a federal election. Nevada Revised Statute (NRS 293.3081) permits a person at a polling place to cast a provisional ballot if the person complies with the applicable provisions of NRS 293.3082 and:"
  • Options
    It's genuinely possible Biden lost in Florida due to vote rigging
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    I suppose it depends on whether there were many 90%+ batches of Dem votes in early voting in other close states or not.

If these are the only ones and it just so happens that they were found later on when Biden was otherwise going to lose, then that looks suspicious to me.
    I find it odd that you aren't just as concerned about the number of undelivered mail ballots in Florida and other places.
  • Options

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?

Asked and answered
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Dems immediate problem is that the oldest justice by same way is Breyer (age 82) on the Liberal wing.

If the Reps control the senate it will be harder for Biden to replace him with another liberal. Of course, Breyer could hang on but then there is the risk of Ginsberg redux.
  • Options
    TimT said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    LOL. Very wise of you
    I'm stupid but not that stupid :)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,680

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Quite the change in sentiment in the last 6-12 hours.
    I hope it has been profitable.

Disasterous.
    We both talked about in play opportunities, and then both ballsed them up!

Only reason I recovered was holding my nerve in not cutting my losses at 4am last night and trading and repositioning this morning..
    I manage to pick peaks and nadirs to make my moves. Alas I bought on the peaks and sold on the nadirs.
    Very easily done. I cut my losses at Biden just north of evens, and blew nearly £2k of profit on it.

I could have held my nerve entirely and been up £3.1k rather than £1.2k
    I bottled it. Cashed out to cut losses, though spreads starting to look a little better now and couldn't cash out. I expect to be £250ish down on the night.

I remember it being obvious that the initial on the day votes would be red, with a blue wave then coming in. Somehow it didn't seem so obvious in the early hours.

Happy with the result if Biden does pull it off. Indeed a narrow win in the Great Lakes looks a lot like revenge served cold to Trump, after 2016.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It's genuinely possible Biden lost in Florida due to vote rigging

Nowhere near, if the numbers in that table are accurate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?

I find it odd that you aren't just as concerned about the number of undelivered mail ballots in Florida and other places.
    Well, that's worrying as well. Was it they did not deliver mail-ins to people or that people returned mail-ins and these were lost.
  • Options

Basically Trump is calling fraud in every state left thats close and he might lose. So even if they turn blue he's preparing the ground.
    For the first time in days NV is worrying me. The fact the Trump campaign are quoting figures as specific as 'winning by 5500' doesnt sound like just 'making noise' to me. They must have seen something specific of exactly what's left to be counted.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

David Plouffe
    @davidplouffe
    Biden’s lead is now currently bigger than Trump’s final 2016 margin in both MI and WI and is projected to grow. Estimates are his PA lead will be bigger as well. If smaller margins were good enough for Trump to collapse the Blue Wall, larger ones certainly OK to rebuild it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Dems immediate problem is that the oldest justice by same way is Breyer (age 82) on the Liberal wing.

If the Reps control the senate it will be harder for Biden to replace him with another liberal. Of course, Breyer could hang on but then there is the risk of Ginsberg redux.
    It doesn't really matter, the court is lost for a generation anyway.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I agree. His book on the Norman invasion is even better, (I was pretty pleased to snag that for just £3). If you've not read it, I strongly recommend checking it out.
  • Options

I’m starting to feel like PA and GA would be very welcome buffers now. I must admit I don’t really understand what’s outstanding in NV and AZ so I can’t really assess what is going on there.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

We haven't talked about the Senate yet, but it looks like Susan Collin will just hang on in Maine (she'll only need about a quarter of second choice preferences), and Thom Tills will likely do the same in North Carolina. (He's polling a couple of points better than Trump.)

In the NC Special, the Dems have lucked out and it'll be Loeffler vs Warnock. The question is whether they are able to get their vote out for the Special.

That's a very impressive (likely ) result for Susan Collins, given she was behind in every poll.
    An incredible result.
    RCP has her up by 394,000 to 329,000 with 92% counted, so she looks safe.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    CNN and David Alexrod implying that Biden will win PA.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

I have no idea why CNN say only 86% reported in AZ as of now and NYT say 98% ,

Different denominators, remembering that the denominator is simply an estimate of how many votes there will be altogether
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    The main market is going to take weeks to settle, isn’t it?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mal557 said:

I have no idea why CNN say only 86% reported in AZ as of now and NYT say 98% ,

Different denominators, remembering that the denominator is simply an estimate of how many votes there will be altogether
    In this case it was an error in their data feed.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

alex_ said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

90%+.........?
    Let's do some Maths

In 2016, Clinton won Wayne County by 67% to 29.5%

The mail-in ballots came in at 93% for Biden in that batch. Let's take Wayne as a proxy for all those mail-in ballots that came in terms of % in 2016.

So, even allowing that this is a heavily Democrat county and VBM heavily favours the Democrats, you are saying it is not strange that VBMs for Trump came in at 1/4 of what was already a low share vote?
    But you are comparing county-wide voting rates with precinct reporting. Yes, in large cities there will be precincts with very slanted returns, as some of the rural towns supporting Trump show.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Can someone correct me or fault my Maths?

If Trump wins AL + PA + NC + GA + AZ, he is on 272.

I'm going to disagree with @rcs1000 here. I think there is still a very good chance DT could snatch AZ. In that case, it is game on.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

I'm going to disagree with @rcs1000 here. I think there is still a very good chance DT could snatch AZ. In that case, it is game on.
    Feck, I meant Alaska not Alabama.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    GOP now net +5 in the House. This is going to be a difficult 4 years for Biden, maybe even tougher after 2022 if the GOP take back the House, which on this showing seems likely with a Dem POTUS.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

Then I suppose the parties will try to put more pressure on 'their' older justices to retire at such a time when they can replace them. Of course, that coordination would make the partisanship all the more obvious.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

alex_ said:

Failed to deliver to voters, or failed to return completed ballots for counting?
    I am very much in agreement that electoral f*ckery is bidirectional.

The US needs to go back to the UK system:
    1. a lady in the village hall has a list
    2. she crosses you off the list and gives you a ballot paper
    3. you put an X and put it in the box
    4. someone else counts them
    5. the returning officer stands up and tells you whether your candidate beat the guy with the bucket on his head
    6. you go to PB and speculate on how it would have turned out under AV.
    I don’t even believe an election happened. Where were the live shots of counts in sports halls? Where were the reporters trying to work out which party was quietly confident based measuring heights of voting slip piles?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MaxPB said:

GOP now net +5 in the House. This is going to be a difficult 4 years for Biden, maybe even tougher after 2022 if the GOP take back the House, which on this showing seems likely with a Dem POTUS.

I have a bet on the GOP taking the house, assumed it was dead !
  • Options

CNN and David Alexrod implying that Biden will win PA.

The votes are there yes but I'm not sure they will fall high enough in every place they need to to claw back all the lead Trump has. Either way it may well be 2 or 3 days before we even get someone to 270! Let alone what happens after
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Agreed. Stock market steadily moving up though - I had the close Biden disputed win without the senate as the worst result for the markets! What would have moved it down?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

In 2018, the Dems were behind at the end of election night, but ended up winning by 2.5%. I would imagine a similar trend will happen this time as postals are recieved.
  • Options

Love Republican gaslighting about election impropriety. They are the absolute hypocritical scum.

That's my favourite type of scum.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I don’t get the anger about votes received after polling day not counting.

Seems obvious to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

In 2018, the Dems were behind at the end of election night, but ended up winning by 2.5%. I would imagine a similar trend will happen this time as postals are recieved.
    Possibly but 2018's dynamic looks to be way different from 2020
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Republican should gain 10 - 12 seats in the House, cutting the Democratic majority to 11-15.
    Trump might well appeal to felons.
  • Options
    Interesting snippet. I arrived in the US in January 1992. Only 1 Justice on SCOTUS remains from that time - Clarence Thomas.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Basically Trump is calling fraud in every state left thats close and he might lose. So even if they turn blue he's preparing the ground.
    For the first time in days NV is worrying me. The fact the Trump campaign are quoting figures as specific as 'winning by 5500' doesnt sound like just 'making noise' to me. They must have seen something specific of exactly what's left to be counted.
    Yes, feels like something is happening there and they have an idea of the vote.

I'm kicking myself I listened to Ralston. My thesis was that, given the dependence of the state on tourism and events, enough voters - especially Hispanic workers - would flip.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    kle4 said:

Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

Then I suppose the parties will try to put more pressure on 'their' older justices to retire at such a time when they can replace them. Of course, that coordination would make the partisanship all the more obvious.
    Only works when you control the senate as well, otherwise the other lot can just reject or delay appointments until the next election.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,769
    edited November 2020
    ping said:

Seems obvious to me.
    Its clearly fine if thats the rule. Id be in favour of changing rules to that for future elections.

But if the rule is they need to be sent by election day, thats the rule, whether its a good rule or not. One party cant just demand they change the rules post election and be taken seriously as believing in democracy.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

The key here is that there are still mail in votes to be recieved and they will be overwhelmingly for Biden.

So while there is some in-person in Arizona to count that benefits Trump, I can't see it being anywhere near enough.

Biden +4 would be my estimate.
  • Options
    ping said:

Seems obvious to me.
    Well it seems an odd rule to me, but if in various states the rule is they must be posted by or on election day and so of course would arrive late you kind of have to could them. Though ensuring everyone gets it in time to mail on time (so good postal service) or hand in in person is better.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Interesting snippet. I arrived in the US in January 1992. Only 1 Justice on SCOTUS remains from that time - Clarence Thomas.

Weird to think that between 1994 and 2005 there were no changes to SCOTUS.
  • Options
    So is 269 - 269 still doable?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

CNN mapping a path to WH for Biden that needs NV and AZ.

Hmmmm..

I'm Biden green all the way, but this looks shaky still.

He obviously needs both of those, unless he wins one of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia or Alaska.
    Alaska would be cool. I'm on the state at 7.
    Mentioned for completeness only :-)
  • Options

No, I don’t think so.
  • Options

No, I don't think so.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

They won't do it this time, can't see them picking up another 10 gains which is what they would need to get a majority, but they're probably favourites for a house majority in 2022. Biden will be lame duck having to deal with a Republican senate and house.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Considering you spent half the night telling us that Virginia was going to go for Trump, I think I'll take your projections with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    StarryStarry Posts: 105
    ping said:

Seems obvious to me.
    Is it also fair that if you are told that voting on the day is ok, then for that to be discounted after the election? The rules are there and they are not the same as the UK. Changing them after the vote is corruption.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

The Republican should gain 10 - 12 seats in the House, cutting the Democratic majority to 11-15.
    Are any of the theoretical future charges against Trump likely to result in him becoming more personally acquainted with Floridian felons?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

Only works when you control the senate as well, otherwise the other lot can just reject or delay appointments until the next election.
    Absolutely, the timing would have to be very precise if you even got such a guaranteed opportunity.

Or just collectively agree working judges to death and a system encouraging them to pick a partisan moment to retire is not good
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

No, I don’t think so.
    Jynx!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Drutt said:

alex_ said:

I am very much in agreement that electoral f*ckery is bidirectional.

The US needs to go back to the UK system:
    1. a lady in the village hall has a list
    2. she crosses you off the list and gives you a ballot paper
    3. you put an X and put it in the box
    4. someone else counts them
    5. the returning officer stands up and tells you whether your candidate beat the guy with the bucket on his head
    6. you go to PB and speculate on how it would have turned out under AV.
    Well yes, but most UK elections happen in neighbourhoods the size of say West Ham or a Midlands council district. Maine, that little dot on the map, is the size of Scotland. It is also true that UK parties find it much harder to suppress the other sides' voters by making the system intentionally terrible.
  • Options
    Starry said:

ping said:

Seems obvious to me.
    Is it also fair that if you are told that voting on the day is ok, then for that to be discounted after the election? The rules are there and they are not the same as the UK. Changing them after the vote is corruption.
    Also when the USPS has been fiddled with to ensure that ballots can end up being posted then spending days or weeks there without being delivered.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Mal557 said:

Yes, feels like something is happening there and they have an idea of the vote.

I'm kicking myself I listened to Ralston. My thesis was that, given the dependence of the state on tourism and events, enough voters - especially Hispanic workers - would flip.
    To be fair it wasnt just Ralston saying this, several networks when discussing whats' left said the same about all is just a few Clark postal votes, but frustratingly no one drilled down into the counties to see exactly what is really left and where.

I think in all the excitement for the rust belts swinging back to Biden, NV got forgotten as 'its only 6 votes' but it does change the path for both if it does flip. Hopefully later Ralston will post whats still to be counted for the whole county and that will tell us much more. But clearly Trumps campaign think they have around +15000 votes to what the dems have still to come in. Who knows,,,,
  • Options

Anything is possible once you introduce faithless electors. Great system!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Are any of the theoretical future charges against Trump likely to result in him becoming more personally acquainted with Floridian felons?
    Hopefully, he'll spend some time with other visitors to Orgy Island.
  • Options

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Considering you spent half the night telling us that Virginia was going to go for Trump, I think I'll take your projections with a pinch of salt.
    Mmmm, actually I didn't. What I asked was did anyone know what was going on as the early vote looked odd. CNN also raised it several times.

There are many things you could accuse me of, that it not one of them. For a law student, you seem quite sloppy in your looking at evidence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

They won't do it this time, can't see them picking up another 10 gains which is what they would need to get a majority, but they're probably favourites for a house majority in 2022. Biden will be lame duck having to deal with a Republican senate and house.
    That'll be for 2024 candidate Jesus Rustbelt Hispanicwoman to deal with.
  • Options

Anything is possible once you introduce faithless electors. Great system!
    Maybe Trump will just bribe electors to switch to him,
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Mmmm, actually I didn't. What I asked was did anyone know what was going on as the early vote looked odd. CNN also raised it several times.

There are many things you could accuse me of, that it not one of them. For a law student, you seem quite sloppy in your looking at evidence.
    Yes you did. For hours. It was tiresome and embarrassing.
  • Options

Yes. Trump starts with 213.
    Alaska +3
    Georgia +16
    North Carolina +15
    Nevada +6
    Michigan +16
    Trump 269
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

There was a big vote for the independent in Maine, that the pollsters don't seem to have picked up on.

That being said, we're only 70% counted in the Senate race there. If it's the postals that are still to be counted, then she could still lose. My guess - FWIW - is that it will end up 48.5 - 46.0, and that Collins will get around half of Savage's transfers.

I think Collins' vote against ACB is what probably saved her.
    A typically self serving piece of theatre, but effective.
  • Options
    I've just been out for three hours. What's moving the PA betting?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

But they also thanked their “hundreds of thousands” of election workers. An unkind observer might wonder whether counting was their strong point.
This discussion has been closed.