Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting at 1136 GMT Nov 4th 2020 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

EPG said:

A huge amount of magnanimity* is needed if Biden does win.

He will have been bloody lucky, despite the national lead, and he will have to disprove Republican fears about him and the Dems in office if he wants to avoid widespread disorder - particularly given how hard and deep rural areas have gone red. Totally uber red.

(*yes, I know Trump never did this but you need to expect more from Biden otherwise both parties will descend into an ever more vicious tit-for-tat, and it will fuel the Rep selection of the next candidate as Trump-lite)

No. You and the rest of the right always want the left to hand over their balls before entry. Not this time.
    And this is how nasty cultural divisions persist, ladies & gentlemen, for all our disbenefit.

It takes courage, yes. It takes leadership, yes. It takes humility, yes.

Obstinacy only leads down one path.
    Yes, you are quite right on that. The good news is that Joe Biden seems to understand this very well; of course he has to win first!

In retrospect Kamala Harris probably wasn't the best VP choice. He should have gone for Amy Klobuchar.
    Someone closer to an Andrew Yang could reach out across the divide. He had some powerful things to say about dealing with the effects of globalisation on the low income/deprived areas.
    The thing about "reaching out over the divide", is that the Democrats have enough problems with managing their own internal divide (between soft left Biden-style moderates and Squad-type radicals), without worrying about bringing centrists and the soft right in as well. Any attempt by the moderates at pacifying the latter group inevitably results in problems with Sanders/AOC etc supporters. Biden seems to have done just enough to thread the needle this time, but I think in general the US right is more united than the left, as it is in the UK.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

Foxy said:

Maybe I reversed ferretted too soon on Biden...

Simon Stevens (NHS CEO England) has just announced nationwide Covid Level 4 from midnight.

I think that means cancellation of a lot of elective work. Not sure of the full details.

Didnt Boris annouce that on Saturday?
    Foxy is referring to the internal NHS alert level, I believe.

Which relates to the internal operations of the NHS, not the national external alert level.
    Yes, that is correct.

What a day. Just arrived at work and its all kicking off...
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Simon Stevens (NHS CEO England) has just announced nationwide Covid Level 4 from midnight.

I think that means cancellation of a lot of elective work. Not sure of the full details.

Which relates to the internal operations of the NHS, not the national external alert level.
    Yes, that is correct.

Shit - does that mean my sons radiotherapy will be stopped?
    Cancer treatments should continue, is my understanding.

Hips etc are what gets cancelled first.
  • Options

Weird to think that millions of Americans will be fast asleep assuming Trump has won.

There were Siberian Russians in 1922 who thought they were still ruled by the Tzar. I'm sure there are corners of Ohio like that.
    You mean, still loyal to the Kaiser?
  • Options
    The world is officially going to shit....

Rutland: England's McDonald's-free county gets restaurant

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-54794623
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Ohio = the presidency. Not this time.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,213

kle4 said:

RobD said:

As I said only a few days ago I was once given the task of shredding late arrived ballots at my local council. This was about four months after the elections by the way. Once of the most boring jobs I've had.

Would have been more exciting had it been before the election.
    Eh, after a few time even then it becomes routine...
    No need to shred before the election. We rub out the pencil and change the votes in our favour.

#penisbest
    No need to be sexist about it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    Just been talking to a very pleasant American chap in a local cafe, who was pleased to hear me report that the mood here is a likely Biden win but said that he thinks it is looking increasingly Trumpy.

How relaxing it is to observe the political sound and fury of another country for a bit, rather than be morosely stuck in our own.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,618

Why are they so slow to count? I thought it was all electronic?

Not in all states. And other issues on the same ballot. And some went home for the night (outrageous!), etc.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes, that is correct.

Floater said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes, that is correct.

Shit - does that mean my sons radiotherapy will be stopped?
    Cancer treatments should continue, is my understanding.

Hips etc are what gets cancelled first.
    thanks for the response Foxy - myself and Mrs Floater were beginig to wobble
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Head of Monmouth polling on BBC says 'whenever Donald Trump's name is on the ballot all bets are off as far as polling is concerned.'
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

This is why the Tories will win again at the next GE.

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1323966419919343617

Maybe. Depends on the economy, and who gets the blame for it.
    Certainly lessons to be learned from this election.
    I've not learned a lesson in decades and I don't intend to start now.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Iowa and Ohio comfortable for Trump in the end.

Monstrous polling miss.
    Anne Selzer was spot on, as always.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Stocky said:

One positive of such a close result, hopefully it will put an end to the nonsense of defund the police movement even been entertained....well other than Portland, who upcoming mayoral election is between the current idiot and somebody even more radical.

Yes. Putting my betting wishes to one side, my ideal was a narrow Biden win (to get rid of ogre Trump who is a disgrace to the US) with GOP holding the Senate.

My reason was the identity politics stuff. I think Biden will squeak it, but he would have won more handsomely if the dems weren`t so liable to be captured by the illiberal garbage and virtue signalling of the far left. (We`ll never know how many votes Biden lost by "taking the knee" for instance).
    You have no way of knowing he lost any then. I heard a woman in Florida saying the reason they were voting Trump was because Kemala would take away their guns. Doing the right thing loses some votes but gains others.
  • Options
    Overall, it looks like Republicans in Congress outperformed Trump.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I'm beginning to relax. Was a scary night because at one stage things looked like they were sliding badly but then if you looked into the subsets Biden was clearly winning swings from 2016 - crucially in the suburbs. And I'll give John King on CNN kudos for one vital statement: 'to win the Presidency you have to win the suburbs.'

I held my nerve and came back in when Biden dipped into the 260s ECV but I'm not sure I'm going to spread bet again for a while. I've had a bloody lucky escape. A bit like Joe Biden in a way.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897

Loads of votes still to go in MI says an official.

100,000s

Michigan is going to end up being very comfortable for Biden.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2020
    Can I just make a point, that whatever happens a large percentage of Americans have decided Trump is shit and they want him out. There is hope for the world.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Loads of votes still to go in MI says an official.

100,000s

Michigan is going to end up being very comfortable for Biden.
    Grand Rapids has a ton of uncounted apparently. Dem city.
  • Options

Biden has repeated the primaries, back from the dead

All things are relative, I guess
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Covid 7 day numbers are falling through the floor. How are the scientists going to explain this having said the Tier system wasn't having an effect?
  • Options
    So is it turning out that the polls weren't that wrong, or were they still out
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Just been talking to a very pleasant American chap in a local cafe, who was pleased to hear me report that the mood here is a likely Biden win but said that he thinks it is looking increasingly Trumpy.

How relaxing it is to observe the political sound and fury of another country for a bit, rather than be morosely stuck in our own.

Absolutely. Even better when it is not one as world impacting as the USA election.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,198

Weird to think that millions of Americans will be fast asleep assuming Trump has won.

There were Siberian Russians in 1922 who thought they were still ruled by the Tzar. I'm sure there are corners of Ohio like that.
    You mean, still loyal to the Kaiser?
    Possibly a later German Leader? ;-)
  • Options

Can I just make a point, that whatever happens a large percentage of Americans have decided Trump is shit and they want him out. There is hope for the world.

The problem is that the ones with all the guns disagree....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Is this possibly just that lots of people voted to remove Trump. But simply couldn't be bothered to work their way through all the other forms?
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

I'm beginning to relax. Was a scary night because at one stage things looked like they were sliding badly but then if you looked into the subsets Biden was clearly winning swings from 2016 - crucially in the suburbs. And I'll give John King on CNN kudos for one vital statement: 'to win the Presidency you have to win the suburbs.'

I held my nerve and came back in when Biden dipped into the 260s ECV but I'm not sure I'm going to spread bet again for a while. I've had a bloody lucky escape. A bit like Joe Biden in a way.
    of course this will mean weeks and months of legal nonsense from Trump but the fact Biden has 270+ and will win the Nat Vote clearly is a better position than not. I also sense PA could possibly still flip, GA maybe just to stay red
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Not in the House which the Democrats look certain to have held
  • Options
    Its looking a lot more reassuring than it was in the middle of the night.

Though that would be why Trump threw his tantrum this morning, he knew it was coming.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Though that would be why Trump threw his tantrum this morning, he knew it was coming.

Yes exactly. With hindsight, he knew.

The 'Wisconsin moment' was extraordinary. Anyone who was up for it will know what I mean. It was Sunderland all over again.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I hope those bars aren’t to scale, because if they are, the maths is clearly wrong. The Trump advantage in remaining on the day votes doesn’t show at all
  • Options
    edited November 2020

They were certainly miles out in Florida and pretty out in the rest of the South, better in the West as they were last time and how they were in the rustbelt we will only find out once all the ballots are in.

Nationally they got Biden's voteshare about right but significantly underestimated the Trump voteshare
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,070
    Mal557 said:

Clearly Biden has done really well in suburbs and cities around the country. But Trumps vote has held up incredibly well. The US really is a nation divided

Trump's vote has done better than hold up. He's turned out lots of voters who didn't vote for him last time.

This is not the picture of a country turning against the last four years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I expect the Democratic lead in percentage terms for the House elections will be less than at Presidential level. The Republicans are up four seats so far, although I agree the Democrats have held it.

At Senate level, I don't think there's much doubt that their incumbents have outperformed Trump.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,899
    A couple of Republicans have basically just conceded on CNN.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Sean_F said:

Is this possibly just that lots of people voted to remove Trump. But simply couldn't be bothered to work their way through all the other forms?
    I think it's some Republicans just not liking Trump. They'll be content to control half the branches of government.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,300
    If you were going to steal this election for the Dems, by finding lots of postal votes stuffed down the sofa, you couldn't do it in this scenario without grossly inflating the turnout could you?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
    What was Anne Selzer's prediction aand where did she make it?
  • Options

If you were going to steal this election for the Dems, by finding lots of postal votes stuffed down the sofa, you couldn't do it in this scenario without grossly inflating the turnout could you?

Is this serious?
  • Options

The 'Wisconsin moment' was extraordinary. Anyone who was up for it will know what I mean. It was Sunderland all over again.
    I am still so confused about when it was, can you remember the time? It must have been when I woke up in the middle of the night maybe? I was there for it.
  • Options

I think this is going to look like they were about right on the national share.

It just masked some remarkable subsets. The latino vote in Florida for example. And in terms of the Electoral College, if Joe Biden does this then it's been by the narrowest of margins in some of the midwest.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Given the efforts at voter suppression - particularly in black neighbourhoods - with people having to queue for hours to vote in person, is it any wonder why people would prefer a postal ballot when there is supposed to be social distancing going on.

Given the turnout figures can anyone imagine what the carnage would have been if there WEREN'T all these postal ballots?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I expect the Democratic lead in percentage terms for the House elections will be less than at Presidential level. The Republicans are up four seats so far, although I agree the Democrats have held it.

At Senate level, I don't think there's much doubt that their incumbents have outperformed Trump.
    When Trump was not on the ballot in 2018 though they were trounced, if the GOP Congressional candidates do outperform Trump it is only because they got votes from Trump voters who stayed home in 2018 as well as traditional Republicans a few of whom may not have voted for Trump
  • Options
    So, less than a week to the elections in Belize. Do we think the UDP will remain in power now Dean Barrow is retiring?

Disclaimer: No wikipedia was used in the creation of this post
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

There was much annoying pro-Trump trolling early this morning, but I think you just took the prize.
  • Options
    Biden is looking good in Wisconsin. I think it will be called soon?
  • Options
    What's going on in GA? Doesn't seem to have been much action from there for a while.
  • Options
    A recount in WI looks likely. This is going to run...
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    DougSeal said:

Trump nudging against 4 on Betfair.

Ah well, I suppose getting on Biden at 1.83 is better than the current 1.27 - note for 2024: set alarm earlier!
  • Options

What's going on in GA? Doesn't seem to have been much action from there for a while.

They need their sleep down south
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571

I don't think he has a clue what is coming (ever).
  • Options

The polls were out but not far enough out in every state that mattered for Trump to win overall (it seems). National polls clearly reflected Biden making big gains but a lot in states he either couldnt win or just missed (such as TX NC etc). Seems most state poll averages are several % out though so not a good night for the pollsters but not a total disaster I'd say. But perhaps others will disagree
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215
    Endillion said:

EPG said:

A huge amount of magnanimity* is needed if Biden does win.

He will have been bloody lucky, despite the national lead, and he will have to disprove Republican fears about him and the Dems in office if he wants to avoid widespread disorder - particularly given how hard and deep rural areas have gone red. Totally uber red.

(*yes, I know Trump never did this but you need to expect more from Biden otherwise both parties will descend into an ever more vicious tit-for-tat, and it will fuel the Rep selection of the next candidate as Trump-lite)

No. You and the rest of the right always want the left to hand over their balls before entry. Not this time.
    And this is how nasty cultural divisions persist, ladies & gentlemen, for all our disbenefit.

It takes courage, yes. It takes leadership, yes. It takes humility, yes.

Obstinacy only leads down one path.
    Yes, you are quite right on that. The good news is that Joe Biden seems to understand this very well; of course he has to win first!

In retrospect Kamala Harris probably wasn't the best VP choice. He should have gone for Amy Klobuchar.
    Someone closer to an Andrew Yang could reach out across the divide. He had some powerful things to say about dealing with the effects of globalisation on the low income/deprived areas.
    The thing about "reaching out over the divide", is that the Democrats have enough problems with managing their own internal divide (between soft left Biden-style moderates and Squad-type radicals), without worrying about bringing centrists and the soft right in as well. Any attempt by the moderates at pacifying the latter group inevitably results in problems with Sanders/AOC etc supporters. Biden seems to have done just enough to thread the needle this time, but I think in general the US right is more united than the left, as it is in the UK.
    Sanders/AOC would have no problem with helping the deprived over the effects of globalisation - I'm talking about building a coalition on common interests.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Mal557 said:

Clearly Biden has done really well in suburbs and cities around the country. But Trumps vote has held up incredibly well. The US really is a nation divided

Trump's vote has done better than hold up. He's turned out lots of voters who didn't vote for him last time.

And even if Trump does lose now he is close enough he is almost certain to either run again in 2024, probably against Harris assuming Biden only serves one term or to anoint Eric or Ivanka Trump who will compete for the nomination with VP Pence instead to be Trump's heir apparent.

This result guarantees the stranglehold of Team Trump over the GOP probably for at least the majority of the next decade, it needed a Biden landslide to enable establishment moderates like Romney, Kasich and Haley within the GOP to regain control of the party and that did not happen
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

I think they said they will continue counting, but won't add anything to totals/announce anything during the night.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Not much since the 1996 Olympics.
  • Options

I am still so confused about when it was, can you remember the time? It must have been when I woke up in the middle of the night maybe? I was there for it.
    I might be nerdy and scroll back later to give you the definitive answer :smiley:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    IanB2 said:

I believe that recount is legally mandated.
  • Options

When Trump talked about calling the election and deploying lawyers so early in the night, he must have had some kind of internals from the rust belt states and realised that he probably wasn't building up enough on day votes to offset the huge postal votes that came in later or are still coming in
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mal557 said:

And even if Trump does lose now he is close enough he is almost certain to run again in 2024,
    I think there's next to no chance that the GOP will return to Trump.

By 2021 the knives will be out. And how.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    If the Democrats were smart about this, they would build bridges to the white working classes. I think Biden gets that.

Unfortunately, I think the lesson that the left of the party will take from this is they can win an election without needing to address the concerns of white non-urban voters and, critically, that all they need to do to make sure the vote is not close next time is do a lot more for the Hispanic community and thus strengthen the whole identity politics movement.

Conversely, I suspect the Republicans will realise that social conservatism is definitely the way forwards to attract more Hispanic / Black votes.
  • Options
    Cheerio. As someone once said about another PB favourite..

"Don't let the door hit your fat arse as you leave"
  • Options

I might be nerdy and scroll back later to give you the definitive answer :smiley:
    I think it was about 9.30am
  • Options

Much obliged :)
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    I’m down £40 on the election. I cashed out my £10 buy of Biden 285+ ECVs at a loss of -£10 and also lost £30 on backing Biden is one of the landslide bands. Disappointing not to have made any money but really pleased at the moment with Biden strong favourite again. Extraordinary election!
  • Options

A couple of Republicans have basically just conceded on CNN.

Yep they are on other networks too
  • Options

There was much annoying pro-Trump trolling early this morning, but I think you just took the prize.
    Thanks. I am just trying to get it straight in my head. IF this happened, it would show as significantly elevated turnout in the 'late Biden surge' states that counted their postal ballots last, and turnout being as predicted, or at least significantly lower, in the 'Trump surge' states where they were counted first.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited November 2020
    I'd say American democracy absolutely is in fine fettle if it means they see the back of the weird sociopath and his strange antics but leaving a GOP controlled senate in place. Just the job.
  • Options

Thanks. I am just trying to get it straight in my head. IF this happened, it would show as significantly elevated turnout in the 'late Biden surge' states that counted their postal ballots last, and turnout being as predicted, or at least significantly lower, in the 'Trump surge' states where they were counted first.
    Massive increases in turnout was predicted by all the polls. Figures of up to 20% of voters who didn't vote last time.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

If the Democrats were smart about this, they would build bridges to the white working classes. I think Biden gets that.

Unfortunately, I think the lesson that the left of the party will take from this is they can win an election without needing to address the concerns of white non-urban voters and, critically, that all they need to do to make sure the vote is not close next time is do a lot more for the Hispanic community and thus strengthen the whole identity politics movement.

Conversely, I suspect the Republicans will realise that social conservatism is definitely the way forwards to attract more Hispanic / Black votes.

If Biden does win yes look for a GOP landslide in the 2022 midterms
  • Options
    You are going to have near half of America thinking that Biden is the Election Thief in Chief. Not good.

I actually think that it would be best for the USA for the Supreme Court to rule on this election. To uphold Biden as President. A Trump-stacked Supreme Court saying, er, actually there was no fraud and Biden is legitimately the President could defuse a significant number. Although this situation has the scope to go BADLY. Very badly. For example, I could see many many millions of Trump voters refusing to pay taxes. "No taxation without representation" would be their battle cry.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think it was about 9.30am
    Okay, that makes some sort of sense.

I was going to say, I went to bed sure that Trump had won.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Is that true? There seem to be several states (most of them?) where Trump has done better than the Republican senate incumbents.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mal557 said:

And even if Trump does lose now he is close enough he is almost certain to run again in 2024,

It is the base who pick the nominee and for them it will be 'Donald Wuz Robbed'
  • Options
    From the lack of comment I assume nothing in from Puerto Rico on their statehood plebisicite? Waiting til the mainland stuff is concluded perhaps.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
    What was Anne Selzer's prediction aand where did she make it?
    A 7% Trump lead in the Des Moines Register.
  • Options
    Michigan is going to be an easy win for Biden isn't it?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,070
    In 2016 Trump received 63 million votes only +2.1 million votes on Romney 2012 and a lower vote share by 1.1pp.

Hard to tell where the vote share will end up, but he's already +3.8 million votes on 2016.

Obama lost votes between 2008 and 2012. Bush II gained 11.6 million votes.

There's a lot of voters out there for whom Trump exceeded their expectations and voted for him this time when hatred of Clinton didn't make them do so last time.

Even if Biden wins I feel that's important politically.
  • Options

You are going to have near half of America thinking that Biden is the Election Thief in Chief. Not good.

I actually think that it would be best for the USA for the Supreme Court to rule on this election. To uphold Biden as President. A Trump-stacked Supreme Court saying, er, actually there was no fraud and Biden is legitimately the President could defuse a significant number. Although this situation has the scope to go BADLY. Very badly. For example, I could see many many millions of Trump voters refusing to pay taxes. "No taxation without representation" would be their battle cry.

They could pay their taxes to China like their leader instead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

If Biden does win yes look for a GOP landslide in the 2022 midterms
    With Biden/Harris looking the lamest of lame ducks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mal557 said:

That's dreadful. What's the point of loving guns more than anything in the world if not to use them rather than knives?
  • Options

Less highmindedly, this is why I am considering greening up -- the prospect of markets being suspended for weeks while the legal fraternity has its two penn'orth.
  • Options

I agree. I am not (contrary to what some may think) alleging vote rigging, but in this instance I think innocence will need to be proven somehow to settle the issue.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not mandated but an option.
    https://twitter.com/jessieopie/status/1323926191649263617

Margin is currently over 0.5% with probably more Biden votes to come, so probably finish closer to 1%.
  • Options
    Norm said:

I'd say American democracy absolutely is in fine fettle if it means they see the back of the weird sociopath and his strange antics but leaving a GOP controlled senate in place. Just the job.

Also good for racial partisan polarization to decline, it's weird for nearly all the black people to vote for one party, and having black supporters should help make the GOP less racist.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

From the lack of comment I assume nothing in from Puerto Rico on their statehood plebisicite? Waiting til the mainland stuff is concluded perhaps.

After 88% votes in it is Yes 52.29%

Officially the Republicans back statehood if they vote for it, Republican Senator Marco Rubio does especially. So it will be interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Roger said:

Stocky said:

One positive of such a close result, hopefully it will put an end to the nonsense of defund the police movement even been entertained....well other than Portland, who upcoming mayoral election is between the current idiot and somebody even more radical.

Yes. Putting my betting wishes to one side, my ideal was a narrow Biden win (to get rid of ogre Trump who is a disgrace to the US) with GOP holding the Senate.

My reason was the identity politics stuff. I think Biden will squeak it, but he would have won more handsomely if the dems weren`t so liable to be captured by the illiberal garbage and virtue signalling of the far left. (We`ll never know how many votes Biden lost by "taking the knee" for instance).
    You have no way of knowing he lost any then. I heard a woman in Florida saying the reason they were voting Trump was because Kemala would take away their guns. Doing the right thing loses some votes but gains others.
    If you think "taking the knee" was the right thing then I`ll leave that with you. It`s going to come back and bite Starmer in the arse big style at the next election.
  • Options
    Is GA going to be a near miss for Biden?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

Not according to the dreadfully poor BBC News. Showing Trump ahead.

BBC guy saying Wisconsin very tight.
  • Options

The way today has gone I dont like to say anything is easy but both MI and WI look very good for him, even PA might flip though it will be very close either way. I'd love GA to also flip to make the EV gap a little more visible, but the way the year and election has gone, Biden winning with 270 and Trump deploying lawyers like clones of Mr Smith from the Matrix, is probably fitting for 2020.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

In 2016 Trump received 63 million votes only +2.1 million votes on Romney 2012 and a lower vote share by 1.1pp.

Hard to tell where the vote share will end up, but he's already +3.8 million votes on 2016.

Obama lost votes between 2008 and 2012. Bush II gained 11.6 million votes.

There's a lot of voters out there for whom Trump exceeded their expectations and voted for him this time when hatred of Clinton didn't make them do so last time.

Even if Biden wins I feel that's important politically.

Not only has Biden won the most votes for any Democratic candidate bar Obama in 2008 but so today has Trump won the most votes for any Republican candidate ever and the highest voteshare for the GOP nominee since George W Bush in 2004, that must not be forgotten, it is Trump's party still and probably will remain so for the rest of this decade now
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Bernie Sanders' powers of prediction a couple of weeks ago are attracting some attention on twitter :

https://twitter.com/MSterling27/status/1323941768526766081
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

At the end of the day, this is going to the SC. I’ve been told on good authority that the reason the Rs rushed through Barrett was not because they thought they would lose the Senate but that they were “terrified” (and this is their word, not mine) that the Democrats would continue to find postal ballots until the Ds won in the states. It’s essentially what happened in several of the CA House seats in 2018 (it was never proved but ballot harvesting was suspected).

This argument came from a very well connected, establishment Republican who is anti-Trump
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Massive increases in turnout was predicted by all the polls. Figures of up to 20% of voters who didn't vote last time.
    Yes, and of that trend is universal there will be no grounds for suspicion. However, if it is markedly up against predictions in areas where Biden has won on postals, and consists of postal ballots, it looks odd.
  • Options
    Norm said:

I wonder if the budget deficit will suddenly become a key issue for GOP senators again in the next 4 years when they havent given a toss about it for the last 4. I wonder.......
  • Options
    What a night, went to bed at 3:45am with Trump firmly in control. Woke up at 7am and he's almost got it in the bag, then a few hours later Biden looks like he's won. Crazy.

It was nerve wracking enough watching it from afar, so I'm glad I didn't bet anything on it as well.
  • Options

And if the Trump-packed Supreme Court finds in favour of Trump with the votes and EC awarded to Biden - how will that make things better.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Full credit to the Biden campaign if they have pulled this off. They could have succumbed to the siren song in places like TX and OH and let the Mid west slip through their fingers, but they were ruthlessy focussed on the WIMIPA states.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

IanB2 said:

Wasn't it Trump needing to request one if it's under a 1% lead?

At the moment, it's 0.72%, so there's a good chance it'll be outside the 1%.
This discussion has been closed.