Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting at 1136 GMT Nov 4th 2020 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Trump TV is going to be 4 years of how he was robbed by fraudulent votes.

If he is not in jail, yes.
    They will have to find something absolutely concrete and horrendous otherwise they risk turning him into a martyr. I wouldn't be surprised if they find tax issues, but its America, there is always a deal to be done by the rich on such things.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2020
    Well I went to bed at 2am and I wake up to this?!!!!

The 1.5 on biden4potus wasn’t a great value bet after all!

Throw the polls down the well.
  • Options
    If - big if - Biden wins the EC, gets more votes than any other candidate in Presidential history and also secures a six to seven point winning margin, that is quite a mandate, isn't it?
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Dadge said:

The evidence is now becoming clear that Biden will win relatively soon. I wasn't going to bet this time, after the shocks of 2016, but I did change my mind in the middle of the night when the odds were quite favourable.

How soon? And why do you think so?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    DougSeal said:

An increasing number of leading European politicians are using this election as an argument for Europe to “take its destiny into its own hands”, as former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt put it - or in the words of France’s Europe minister, not to look to US election results to decide Europe’s fate.

Answer to every crisis...more and closer EU.

Well, he is right, isn't he? With the world drifting into protectionist economic and political blocs, of course European countries need to pool their collective strengths. Otherwise Europe will be caught in the whims of a not very friendly USA and an actively malign China, with side dishes of Islamist terrorism and Russian thuggery.
    Oh dear. Richard's gone full federalist.

No, the answer is to form a global democratic alliance of sovereign nations. The EU just has an ideological boner for forming a single nation, and has done since Charlemagne.

They need to know their limits.
    I don't know how anyone can look across the pond and think "look what is going wrong in that federation, we need more continental federalism over here".
    I'm a pro-European/anti-Federalist and thus (shock!) have to agree. And the US has the advantage of a common linguistic and legal heritage. But then I'm a municipalist so I need to stay out of these debates.
    Use the time saved to bone up on a bit of US history?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

One positive of such a close result, hopefully it will put an end to the nonsense of defund the police movement even been entertained....well other than Portland, who upcoming mayoral election is between the current idiot and somebody even more radical.

Yes. Putting my betting wishes to one side, my ideal was a narrow Biden win (to get rid of ogre Trump who is a disgrace to the US) with GOP holding the Senate.

My reason was the identity politics stuff. I think Biden will squeak it, but he would have won more handsomely if the dems weren`t so liable to be captured by the illiberal garbage and virtue signalling of the far left. (We`ll never know how many votes Biden lost by "taking the knee" for instance).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

You have to pity the American people - what a choice to be faced with - Biden or Trump

This is really the pick of the American political scene?

It's not a hard choice.
    Not for me either, but the two options not being equal doesn't mean both cannot be bad (though personally I don't see that Biden was as bad as advertised).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    And so the election ends as it begins, with me making terrible profit killing trading decisions.

Given my position now you'd never know I'd stake a chunk on the Dems to win @2.5 at the early part of the year.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Jocelyn Benson, Michigan’s Secretary of State, has posted to reassure voters that all of their ballots will be counted. She says “Hundreds of thousands of ballots in our largest jurisdictions are still being counted, including Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Warren & Sterling Heights.”

Michigan has about 10% of its votes left to count – some 539,000. Trump currently has a lead of 12,526
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    If counting were to stop then he has Nevada that's the point.

Counting's not going to stop though and it looks like Biden has this. By less than I expected but by enough.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    edited November 2020

If - big if - Biden wins the EC, gets more votes than any other candidate in Presidential history and also secures a six to seven point winning margin, that is quite a mandate, isn't it?

In the popular vote it is now Biden 50.2% and Trump 48.3% so Biden is over 50% but actually with a smaller popular vote lead than Hillary had in 2016 at this point

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/president?iid=politics_election_bop
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,172
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

An increasing number of leading European politicians are using this election as an argument for Europe to “take its destiny into its own hands”, as former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt put it - or in the words of France’s Europe minister, not to look to US election results to decide Europe’s fate.

Answer to every crisis...more and closer EU.

Well, he is right, isn't he? With the world drifting into protectionist economic and political blocs, of course European countries need to pool their collective strengths. Otherwise Europe will be caught in the whims of a not very friendly USA and an actively malign China, with side dishes of Islamist terrorism and Russian thuggery.
    Oh dear. Richard's gone full federalist.

No, the answer is to form a global democratic alliance of sovereign nations. The EU just has an ideological boner for forming a single nation, and has done since Charlemagne.

They need to know their limits.
    I don't know how anyone can look across the pond and think "look what is going wrong in that federation, we need more continental federalism over here".
    I'm a pro-European/anti-Federalist and thus (shock!) have to agree. And the US has the advantage of a common linguistic and legal heritage. But then I'm a municipalist so I need to stay out of these debates.
    Use the time saved to bone up on a bit of US history?
    My wife's American and my Masters thesis was on the legal history of US Labour Relations so I know a bit. But opinions vary I accept.
  • Options

Certainly is. Not much use having a mandate without the Senate though.
  • Options
    In other news, Arizona, New Jersey, South Dakota voted to legalize recreational marijuana.
  • Options

Well it would fascinating to watch, particularly if the rest of the GOP wants to move on but he won't let them and stands next time in that scenario.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

The only real mandate is in control of congress. If the Senate blocks everything and the 6-3 supreme court stays, he has a lot of difficulty.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the popular vote it is now Biden 50.2% and Trump 48.3% so Biden is over 50% but actually with a smaller popular vote than Hillary at this point

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/president?iid=politics_election_bop

Lots of votes still to be counted in solid Blue states, though, I think.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:

In the popular vote it is now Biden 50.2% and Trump 48.3% so Biden is over 50% but actually with a smaller popular vote than Hillary at this point

We need to wait and see, but in 2016 Hillary's PV lead grew considerably over the week or two which followed thanks to very blue states which were called early by all the networks but counted slowly (California especially). Based on the current results it's clear Biden will have a bigger PV win, though quite how much bigger isn't clear.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,060

They will have to find something absolutely concrete and horrendous otherwise they risk turning him into a martyr. I wouldn't be surprised if they find tax issues, but its America, there is always a deal to be done by the rich on such things.

There is either something in his previous life, and tax seems a likely candidate, or there may be something in his years in office. It does look to the outside observer that he has used the Presidency as a means of funnelling cash his way. Might be totally legal of course.
  • Options

Not much use without the senate though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    Maybe I reversed ferretted too soon on Biden...

Simon Stevens (NHS CEO England) has just announced nationwide Covid Level 4 from midnight.

I think that means cancellation of a lot of elective work. Not sure of the full details.
  • Options
    In Nevada, voters still have a week to “cure” their signatures if needed – meaning to confirm their vote if they forgot to sign or if their signature seems not to match voter files. Now that’s asking for trouble.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    All my American FB friends are in for a shock when they awake!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IIRC last time it took quite a while for the scale of Hillary's popular vote win to become clear, some states take ages to tally the votes nobody cares about.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

I think Biden is still in the driving seat, its just that Trump is in the passenger seat.

Hopefully not the kind of car used for driving tests, where the passenger also has access to pedals and can slam on the breaks.
  • Options
    US Political Twitter calling WI as fully counted and for Biden.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,047

HYUFD said:

Lots of votes still to be counted in solid Blue states, though, I think.

IIRC Cali slow counts because the EC result is never in doubt, i.e. it's pointless investing in fast voting.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    DearPB said:

Dadge said:

The evidence is now becoming clear that Biden will win relatively soon. I wasn't going to bet this time, after the shocks of 2016, but I did change my mind in the middle of the night when the odds were quite favourable.

How soon? And why do you think so?
    I mean effectively win. TV stations might not want to call the close states, and Trump will challenge the results, but it'll be clear to objective observers that Biden is the winner.
  • Options

EPG said:

A huge amount of magnanimity* is needed if Biden does win.

He will have been bloody lucky, despite the national lead, and he will have to disprove Republican fears about him and the Dems in office if he wants to avoid widespread disorder - particularly given how hard and deep rural areas have gone red. Totally uber red.

(*yes, I know Trump never did this but you need to expect more from Biden otherwise both parties will descend into an ever more vicious tit-for-tat, and it will fuel the Rep selection of the next candidate as Trump-lite)

No. You and the rest of the right always want the left to hand over their balls before entry. Not this time.
    And this is how nasty cultural divisions persist, ladies & gentlemen, for all our disbenefit.

It takes courage, yes. It takes leadership, yes. It takes humility, yes.

Obstinacy only leads down one path.
    What about forgiveness?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    edited November 2020
    Is there a good time to squeeze in an afternoon power nap?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yokes said:

I think Biden is still in the driving seat, its just that Trump is in the passenger seat.

Hopefully not the kind of car used for driving tests, where the passenger also has access to pedals and can slam on the breaks.
    That's the Senate at the moment.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Sorry, becoming a bore on this one but I don’t think you can count AZ for Biden. If that’s the case, the dynamics change.

Trump gets AZ + NC + AL, he is on 236. Not sure ME-2 but Collins performance will give him hope so let’s say it’s 237.

Let’s assume he wins PA. That’s 257.

He then only has to win one of MI or GA.

You can also bet there is no way he is going to allow Wayne County to report 140K out of 150K ballots for Biden without a serious legal challenge.

Wayne County haven't reported 140/150 for Biden. That was one batch of mail in ballots - which of course is to be expected to be primarily Biden.
    Primarily Biden is one thing, over 90pc is another. The scale of those Mail in ballots breaking for Biden is not going to go unchallenged.
    Odd comment. Trump spent half the campaign ordering his supporters to vote in person and not to trust the mail. Now he's going to challenge in the courts because his strategy was successful?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,499

Trump - "I AM THE SENATE!"
  • Options
    Trump would flip his sh*t if that happens. I wonder how many elected GOP would go with him on that, as I think the observation made earlier that Trump seems to genuinely not understand the electoral process is true, not merely that he says provocative things about it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IIRC last time it took quite a while for the scale of Hillary's popular vote win to become clear, some states take ages to tally the votes nobody cares about.
    The day after the election you could get Clinton to win the popular vote @1.05
  • Options
    Trumpy out at 4.4 on BF
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Simon Stevens (NHS CEO England) has just announced nationwide Covid Level 4 from midnight.

I think that means cancellation of a lot of elective work. Not sure of the full details.

Didnt Boris annouce that on Saturday?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    IanB2 said:

In other news, Arizona, New Jersey, South Dakota voted to legalize recreational marijuana.

That is one culture war that may well be ending.
    Three very different States at all ends of the nation.
  • Options

EPG said:

He will have been bloody lucky, despite the national lead, and he will have to disprove Republican fears about him and the Dems in office if he wants to avoid widespread disorder - particularly given how hard and deep rural areas have gone red. Totally uber red.

(*yes, I know Trump never did this but you need to expect more from Biden otherwise both parties will descend into an ever more vicious tit-for-tat, and it will fuel the Rep selection of the next candidate as Trump-lite)

No. You and the rest of the right always want the left to hand over their balls before entry. Not this time.
    And this is how nasty cultural divisions persist, ladies & gentlemen, for all our disbenefit.

What about forgiveness?
    Forgiveness is so 20th century.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    So it looks like Biden's done a Lazarus?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984

Trump - "I AM THE SENATE!"
    Not yet.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    We could still be looking at a 300+ EV scenario for Biden if he gets PA and GA. It would be based on some very squeaky results but then so was Trump’s 2016 EC majority.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy is referring to the internal NHS alert level, I believe.

Which relates to the internal operations of the NHS, not the national external alert level.
  • Options

We could still be looking at a 300+ EV scenario for Biden if he gets PA and GA. It would be based on some very squeaky results but then so was Trump’s 2016 EC majority.
    Was it Harold Wilson who said one vote is enough?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Crikey. Trump is sliding out towards 5...
  • Options

Would be identical ECV margin to last time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,939
    This is why the Tories will win again at the next GE.

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1323966419919343617
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Not sure why the 'more votes than any other' would mean so, since others may have been more dominant in a country with a smaller population at the time. I mean, wasn't that Corbyn's claim to success?
  • Options

EPG said:

Yes, you are quite right on that. The good news is that Joe Biden seems to understand this very well; of course he has to win first!

In retrospect Kamala Harris probably wasn't the best VP choice. He should have gone for Amy Klobuchar.
  • Options

Roger said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the WH right now....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe. Depends on the economy, and who gets the blame for it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

And so the election ends as it begins, with me making terrible profit killing trading decisions.

Given my position now you'd never know I'd stake a chunk on the Dems to win @2.5 at the early part of the year.

I have done the exact opposite. Was long on Trump and held my position. FFS.
  • Options
    As I said only a few days ago I was once given the task of shredding late arrived ballots at my local council. This was about four months after the elections by the way. Once of the most boring jobs I've had.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I don't think so.

He has been doing a press conference at lunch time to announce it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What's it? I'm not seeing the Tweet?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,480
    edited November 2020

EPG said:

Yes, you are quite right on that. The good news is that Joe Biden seems to understand this very well; of course he has to win first!

In retrospect Kamala Harris probably wasn't the best VP choice. He should have gone for Amy Klobuchar.
    I agree with you on the Harris pick. But if he does win I will be delighted to see a woman VP. I am not sure what her chances would be in 2024 though (assuming Biden only serves one term which is the accepted wisdom, even if he won’t say it).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Iowa and Ohio comfortable for Trump in the end.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984

As I said only a few days ago I was once given the task of shredding late arrived ballots at my local council. This was about four months after the elections by the way. Once of the most boring jobs I've had.

Would have been more exciting had it been before the election.
  • Options
    I mistraded throughout the night, cashed my spread for a loss and hedged on Trump all over the shop. But should still emerge with a profit if Biden does it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

There is either something in his previous life, and tax seems a likely candidate, or there may be something in his years in office. It does look to the outside observer that he has used the Presidency as a means of funnelling cash his way. Might be totally legal of course.
    If its purely financial, especially historic, as I say, its America, the rich get to try and do a deal to pay their way out.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Which relates to the internal operations of the NHS, not the national external alert level.
    Yes, that is correct.

What a day. Just arrived at work and its all kicking off...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure what the 'this' is here!
  • Options
    Trump out to 4.3.

Effectively all over?

Nice to see my approach of going to sleep and missing the action actually worked out this time.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    kle4 said:

Not sure why the 'more votes than any other' would mean so, since others may have been more dominant in a country with a smaller population at the time. I mean, wasn't that Corbyn's claim to success?
    Rules change then!
  • Options
    The electoral college bias against Biden this election is going to be off the charts.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Roger said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the WH right now....
    I suspect when Trump came out very early and said 'we want the count stopped on the night and we have lawyers ready' maybe he had seen internal polling on the rustbelt states and realised it might be very very tight and was preparing the ground. He still hasnt lost yet but MI and WI look better each hour for Biden and that would be enough (unless NV springs a huge shock)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure what the 'this' is here!
    17 - 19 parliament refusing to implement the referendum.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I don't think so.

He has been doing a press conference at lunch time to announce it.
    Whats the difference between the nationwide lockdown starting at midnight and the nationwide covid level 4 starting at midnight?

Edit - just seen the answer below.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The DC vote is always pretty hilarious. Could be a record there, just, if it gets beyond Obama's 92.46%.

Edit: And the Republican who performed best there? Apparently, RIchard Nixon.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

EPG said:

Someone closer to an Andrew Yang could reach out across the divide. He had some powerful things to say about dealing with the effects of globalisation on the low income/deprived areas.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    The guy I watch for my American news who tries to stay impartial has gone off on one about Trump.

"a dangerous liar who is threatening to undermine democracy" was probably the kindest thing he said.....

Called Trump's speech "the lowest point in American politics I can ever recall"
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
    Selzer will be maintaining her A+ rating I expect though.
  • Options
    Biden has repeated the primaries, back from the dead
  • Options
    Info on when Philly will report mail votes.

https://twitter.com/Elaijuh/status/1322286262024359937?s=19
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I mistraded throughout the night, cashed my spread for a loss and hedged on Trump all over the shop. But should still emerge with a profit if Biden does it.

I have held tight onto Biden through thick and thin since summer 2017.

Still holding. Gonna be a long few hours.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Eh, after a few time even then it becomes routine...
  • Options
    Clearly Biden has done really well in suburbs and cities around the country. But Trumps vote has held up incredibly well. The US really is a nation divided
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scott_xP said:

If he is not in jail, yes.
    Given that the Special Counsel stayed well away from Trump's finances I suggest that they might start by looking there.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Remember people, just Biden your time, and victory will come.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes, that is correct.

What a day. Just arrived at work and its all kicking off...
    Shit - does that mean my sons radiotherapy will be stopped?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whatever the path to victory might be, non sequiturs ain’t it
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    edited November 2020
    Loads of votes still to go in MI says an official.

100,000s
  • Options
    Betting post for those with strong nerves and swift fingers, Betfair has the next president market which we are all watching, and also has a less liquid, parallel market for which party wins.

Because the big hitters are confined to the larger market, there are frequent arbs between the two, when it is possible to back in one market and lay in the other to lock in a profit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Eh, after a few time even then it becomes routine...
    No need to shred before the election. We rub out the pencil and change the votes in our favour.

#penisbest
  • Options
    I have a lot more confidence in the UK polls to predict GE2024 successfully.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Weird to think that millions of Americans will be fast asleep assuming Trump has won.

There were Siberian Russians in 1922 who thought they were still ruled by the Tzar. I'm sure there are corners of Ohio like that.
  • Options
    This suggests PA is very much in play
    https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1323958418177142792
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    If you would like some grist to your "electoral fraud" mill, here it is. 140k votes came in at once in Michigan, every single one for Biden. Might be an artefact of the tallying machine, of course.

Further disclaimer - it's on twitter so might be complete bollocks. https://twitter.com/JayVal00/status/1323966769854382082?s=09
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
    Selzer will be maintaining her A+ rating I expect though.
    We all learned a valuable lesson there.

With my busted state bets and terrible main market trading I think I need not Just a Biden win but a slam dunk win from here to turn a profit.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Monstrous polling miss.
    Were they though? I never thought Biden would win Ohio.

We may end up in a situation where the pollsters DID get it right after all in the national share and Biden landing at around 280 to 306 would look like a reasonably clear win

Florida was a big miss by most of them (and me) but not by many posters on here
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Remember people, just Biden your time, and victory will come.
    As long as his vote share Trumps his opponent's vote share
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited November 2020
    Why are they so slow to count? I thought it was all electronic?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Pulpstar said:

Certainly lessons to be learned from this election.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280

FPT:

There's been a lot of talk about it being a disappointing night for the Dems but if Biden wins the EC 306 to 232 and the EV by >5%, I am not sure how the GOP, with a losing incumbent President, can take a lot of comfort from that.

Yep. Let's see, I don't want to tempt fate, but it's shaping up as a lagged blue wavelet. Bit like 2018. Not only Trump Toast but we could likely end up with a very clear Biden win in both PV and EC - with just the sequence of things making it seem close.

Trump's demeanour and words - "stop the count! they're stealing it!"- were those of someone who knows he's lost and lost decisively. Poor Donald. But also Desperate Donald and we must brace for some dirty tricks. It might be hard to get him out.

But after a night like that - harrowing at times - I'm not counting any chickens. And regardless, this is not the big landslide I was hoping for and really thought was on.

Hope people had a good one and made money doing some clever clogs in-running stuff. I did ok but the decision not to close my long at 28 supremacy bet at 100 a couple of weeks ago does not go down as one of my best. To put it mildly.

Ah well, so long as he doesn't find a way to lawyer a "win" or start a civil war, all is fine.
This discussion has been closed.