Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As gap on Betfair gets closer is Florida an outlier? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    gealbhan said:

MrEd said:

Hickenlooper wins in Colorado. With the House safely in their hands, Dems are two seats away from controlling Congress.

Well, R will take Alabama so that is 54. Given what is happening in NC, I would expect the Rs to keep NC. Maine is a toss up. AZ could be close given the Hispanic swing
    Where are you getting Hispanic swing from, apart from Cubans in Florida?

What vote is down, and Biden very much outperforming Hilary in white vote is true isn’t it?
    Earlier tweet on here showing exit polls of Hispanic voters swinging from Biden.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

The Hispanic swing from the Democrats should not have been surprising. The Ds have ignored them in this campaign, fighting the last war by thinking the key was to increase 2016 Black turnout and that the Hispanic vote could be taken for granted.

More complicated than that imo. The entire notion of an Hispanic vote is flawed. It is not just that Cuba is different from Mexico but that all the Central American states are different in terms of affluence and whether they are left or right wing. Add to that education and economic advance for second and third generation immigrants. There is no homogeneous Latino bloc any more.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    My girl Elizabeth Warren would have been a better candidate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    NEW THREAD.
  • Options

This is going to be the worst possible result, as in a very narrow victory.

I used to think this, but have come to the conclusion close results are probably better overall. Though - I suspect like you - I'm not looking forward to the consequences in this case either on the streets or potentially in the courts.

I just feel in an election there ought to be something at stake, people's votes ought to be meaningful, and moreover a narrow win generally means both sides have tacked reasonably well to the contours of the electorate.

For a constitutional referendum I'd rather see a big win that suggests a clear consensus about the way forward. But I don't think many politicians deserve a big win. (Though I'm sure many may feel their opponent deserves a big loss...)
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Any reason why the NC results do not appear to have moved for some time?

They said up front they are not completing it today.
  • Options

Philadelphia apparently not reporting any more ballots tonight.

Oh FFS
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So 4 years ago I woke up around this time with Trump taking Florida and @rcs1000 rapidly reversing his position. Why is he so calm now?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    Arizona 69% in Biden 55% Trump 44%
  • Options
    Arizona looking good for the Dems.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    RobD said:

The question is if Trump wins, do the Democrats go much more radical next time. If Biden wins, does that mean GOP forget any ideas of going back to a more normal candidate and again look for somebody with "star power".

It's surely going to be a Trump again, isn't it?
    Whatever people think of the man , if Trump pulls off a second win against all the odds, and this time in the midst of such an awful pandemic, the GOP will go along with whatever he wants including another run in 4 years.
    I know Biden has been a weak candidate but the fact he wasn't as divisive as Clinton really should have helped him more. This would be an even bigger disaster for the Dems than 2016 imo.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2020
    Amazing how the radio stations are imagining it is still all to play for. We bettors on PB.com have known full well for 40 minutes or more that it's all over since a ten-second glance at the Betfair markets really tell you all you need to know.
    How did it happen? Firstly shy Trump supporters who I've been rabbiting on for weeks now and who the media have chosen to totally ignore. Secondly incredible determination and bloody hard work exhibited by the President throughout the election campaign, in sharp contrast to the meagre effort put in by his opponent.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Amazing how the radio stations are imagining it is still all to play for. We bettors on PB.com have known full well for 40 minutes or more that it's all over since a ten-second glance at the Betfair markets really tell you all you need to know.
    How did it happen? Firstly shy Trump supporters who I've been rabbiting on for weeks now and who the media have chosen to totally ignore. Secondly incredible determination and bloody hard work exhibited by the President throughout the election campaign, in sharp contrast to the meagre effort put in by his opponent.

A bit quick to conclude matters maybe, but for me a few things gave me pause for thought. I think, for example, that the image of Biden "taking the knee" did a lot of damage and also the other day his speech when he was surrounded by socially distanced "hula hoops" on the ground was like a comedy sketch. I despise Trump, but these things, and many others, would have made me hesitate to vote Dem, though I would have done in the end.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912
    My Betting night

Florida lost £250
    Biden to win after several cash outs and back in won £4.54!!!
    Trump over 70 million looks to be a winner +£81
    Biden over £75 m +£178

Overall won £13.54 but after commission on the last 2 bets likely to be about spot on a big fat zero.

Been fun but it is going to end on a sour note if GOP stops all the votes being counted via SCOTUS
This discussion has been closed.