Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As gap on Betfair gets closer is Florida an outlier? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    rcs1000 said:

Looking at Biden's strongest counties in Ohio, we see:

Cleveland (Cuyahoga)
    Toledo (Lucas)
    Coumbus (Franklin)
    Cincinnati (Hamilton)

These all have turnover meaningfully below the average for the State.

And Akron.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Ex PBer who I believe has a vote in the US election.

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1323815108024377344?s=20

This is EXACTLY right. My point. There's real value betting against Trump right now.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    dodrade said:

kle4 said:

Looking at some congressional races, it looks like some are actually uncontested - can that really be right, that even in heavily dominant areas the other party don't even bother putting up a candidate, like the Tories not even bothering in Bootle?

Uncontested seats weren't uncommon at Westminster 100 years ago.

I think more recent than that, into the 50s maybe? Also in the US there are never truly uncontested elections, as in no poll is held, because write-in is always an option. I'm not aware of any recent write-in win in an otherwise uncontested seat, but in 2010 Lisa Murkowski retained her US Senate seat for Alaska as a write-in after she lost the Republican primary.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Cleveland (Cuyahoga)
    Toledo (Lucas)
    Coumbus (Franklin)
    Cincinnati (Hamilton)

The question is are early votes counted first, and therefore there's a wave of Trump support to come?
    Correct. If not, Trump is in trouble in OH
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726
    Mortimer said:

Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Endillion said:

Trump/Biden crossover on Betfair.

Can't say I fully understand why.

Agreed. I think Biden is still fave at this point.
    I don't!

Thank he'll just miss out on NC and OH!
    Me too. But I think he'll take PA, MI and WI.
    And he needs Minnesota and Nevada on top, at least
    With PA, MI and WI he can do it without NV....
    I don't think so. Are you assuming Biden wins Arizona?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I think those who called it a landslide should have the courage to say they got it wrong if that's not how it turns out. It's only fair.

Define landslide and threshold for apology.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Cleveland (Cuyahoga)
    Toledo (Lucas)
    Coumbus (Franklin)
    Cincinnati (Hamilton)

"If you ain't voting for me you ain't black". Condescending chump has lost a lot of urban votes from this kind of stupidity.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

I think those who called it a landslide should have the courage to say they got it wrong if that's not how it turns out. It's only fair.

People here were saying 350+ for Biden just earlier today...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    90% of NC vote is still early vote. Expected to be 75% at the end of the night.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,682

gealbhan said:

I almost went for a landslide and changed my mind at the last minute. Lucky escape.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Just remember that I said I wasn't comfortable buying at 311. But I 'think' Biden may finish close to 300. Tight though and the problem with the ECV system is that you can narrowly lose several states and lose the Presidency.

Ohio is critical.
  • Options
    I think if you made a call and it's wrong you should be a man/woman and hold your hands up. I and some others did after 2019, I'd have a lot of respect for those here doing the same.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    NC is very close both senate and POTUS.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Virginia is ghastly for Biden. Trump's 18% ahead with Arlington, Richmond, and Fairfax 98%, 99%, and 78% reported respectively

Those results can't be representative.
    Wasnt Biden like +15 or something in the polls there? lol
    The part of the state next to Washington DC is very Democratic and usually comes in last IIRC.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Endillion said:

I don't!

Nope.

So far every single state has gone the same as 2016 (AFAIK) - so if that remains the same, flipping PA (20), MI (16) and WI (10) would put Biden on 278. Minus NV, he'd still be on 272. No?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Needle update - GA: 85% Trump, NC: 90% Trump

Biden still 90-100k up in NC with 20% to go, must be slim pickings for him in the remaining areas in that case.
    Raleigh is still only 80% counted. It'll be close, but probably a 0.5-1.0% Trump win.

Right now (and assuming Biden wins MI and WI) it looks like Biden will stretch his national vote lead meaningfully over Clinton, but still lose.
    Democratic plan for 2024 - 1m volunteers from California and NY to move out to dozens of key counties across NC, Georgia and FLorida.
    That was my plan for 2020. They never did it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Andy_JS said:
    Made sense an hour ago when still not many other reports in, but now?
  • Options
    Lightning is going to strike twice, I have a terrible feeling about this
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Yep my landslide prediction was a shocker.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

NYtimes missed a trick massively by not doing the needle for other states.

Yes they really aren't the key states
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Per David Chalian there is less early vote to come in NC
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Lightning is going to strike twice, I have a terrible feeling about this

Calm down mate.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Yep my landslide prediction was a shocker.

Total respect to you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Texas 74% in

Trump 49.6%

Biden 49%
  • Options
    There are shades of Brexit on CNN at the moment, finding all the new ways Biden could win as things don't look going the right way in certain places.
  • Options
    Biden still has a good chance of winning. OH and TX are probably out of reach, but they always were long-shots. He needs WI MI NV and PA, and maybe AZ.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Cleveland (Cuyahoga)
    Toledo (Lucas)
    Coumbus (Franklin)
    Cincinnati (Hamilton)

The question is are early votes counted first, and therefore there's a wave of Trump support to come?
    NYT shows absentee/non-absentee splits. Some counties (like Stark or Lucas) are in person first; others (like Hamilton) are absentee first.

My guess is that Trump will be stronger in the remaining votes, but it's close.
  • Options
    Trump almost caught up in Ohio
  • Options
    This is too close to call.
  • Options

I think if you made a call and it's wrong you should be a man/woman and hold your hands up. I and some others did after 2019, I'd have a lot of respect for those here doing the same.

I'm going to be even more insufferable if Trump wins given the stick given to those of us who said Trump had a chance.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

What on Earth has happened with Hispanics

Last time Trump made much of The Wall and nasty hombres. Much less of that this time.
    I don't understand why the Biden campaign didn't dig up more of Trump's worst moments from 2016. Pussy-grabbing and all that
    Didn't consistently attack on his taxes ("Make him pay!") or general madness ("Shut him up!") either.

Biden's campaign was so low key that some people probably felt taken for granted.
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder whether Hispanic voters in California might swing to Trump as well. It won't make any difference to the result there but could affect the popular vote.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Well .. I was almost there: 340 -350 I thought
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,077
    Trump is within 15k votes in Ohio now.
  • Options
    Mr Data Wall keeps dropping the " We" when talking about the Democrats.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Cleveland (Cuyahoga)
    Toledo (Lucas)
    Coumbus (Franklin)
    Cincinnati (Hamilton)

NYT shows absentee/non-absentee splits. Some counties (like Stark or Lucas) are in person first; others (like Hamilton) are absentee first.

My guess is that Trump will be stronger in the remaining votes, but it's close.
    OK, so I think he holds. This could be like VA in reverse (to a degree)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Much MORE early vote to come in Ohio!

Massive news!

Was that 30 secs from Chalian the biggest moment of the night?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:
    CNN haven't called Florida despite the big margin. I thought that was the point Owen Jones was making.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MrEd said:

I'm going to be even more insufferable if Trump wins given the stick given to those of us who said Trump had a chance.
    You will deserve credit for being correct, but let's be honest - you were predicting a Trump landslide win with victories in Virginia and Colorado. That's not going to happen.
  • Options

This is too close to call.

Yes, I must admit I bailed a chunk at Evens. Glad I did.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Biden still 90-100k up in NC with 20% to go, must be slim pickings for him in the remaining areas in that case.
    Raleigh is still only 80% counted. It'll be close, but probably a 0.5-1.0% Trump win.

Right now (and assuming Biden wins MI and WI) it looks like Biden will stretch his national vote lead meaningfully over Clinton, but still lose.
    Democratic plan for 2024 - 1m volunteers from California and NY to move out to dozens of key counties across NC, Georgia and FLorida.
    And they say that COVID-19 and the resulting surge of NY and CA workers moving to NC/TX/GA/FL wasn't a Dem plot... /s

Ex PBer who I believe has a vote in the US election.

https://twi tter.com/JamesKelly/status/1323815108024377344?s=20

No there isn't. There's a pattern of errors against Trump in a series of key State polls. If Trump retains GA, FL, NC, OH (which he is), then it's effectively a 50/50. No significant value. Trump has a floor of 241 at the moment.
  • Options

How are the polls so wrong, AGAIN

Maybe they are not wrong, maybe people are forgetting it was supposed to look good for Trump at first. This isn’t a sprint race.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Trafalgar and Rasmussen say hello
    Those were polls? :p
    If they can repeat success in other states and elections then fair play to them, though I've long thought while it is better than nothing and they caveat their estimates, polling is just too hard to figure out in some systems consistently, so even when it looks like genius it might be luck.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

So? He may well win some states by 350 votes
  • Options

There are shades of Brexit on CNN at the moment, finding all the new ways Biden could win as things don't look going the right way in certain places.

"Wait for the vote from London, Ohio to come in..."
  • Options
    Biden only 13K up in Ohio now.
  • Options
    The early vote share should still grow a bit in Ohio.
  • Options
    41% of the current OH vote is early vote, but the early vote should be 53% of the overall total.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

Last time Trump made much of The Wall and nasty hombres. Much less of that this time.
    I don't understand why the Biden campaign didn't dig up more of Trump's worst moments from 2016. Pussy-grabbing and all that
    Didn't consistently attack on his taxes ("Make him pay!") or general madness ("Shut him up!") either.

Biden's campaign was so low key that some people probably felt taken for granted.
    I'm going to say this now, before the results come in, just as I said after the 2016 results. Based on the polls *before* the election I think Biden's strategy is hard to criticise. He was following a plan and it looked like it was working. If he loses then that sucks, but I don't think the evidence was there before election night that Biden wasn't giving himself a great shot with his low-key 'Let Trump attract bad publicity' campaign.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

So? He may well win some states by 350 votes
    Haha okay fair point.

I'm just saying, if you got it wrong you should have the courage to say you got it wrong, whenever that comes/if it comes. No harm in being wrong, people are terrified of admitting they got things wrong for some reason.
  • Options
    NC now "Pretty likely", >95% probability for Trump.
  • Options

Trump is within 15k votes in Ohio now.

Franklin, which is Biden +47 and is the second largest county in the state, hasn't started on absentee ballots yet.

It's going to be VERY CLOSE.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    So basically Trump is doing better (especially in Florida) than the polls said, but we don't know if it's enough to win.

PS: Someone on CNN just said "Blue Wall" :smiley:
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Just remember that I said I wasn't comfortable buying at 311. But I 'think' Biden may finish close to 300. Tight though and the problem with the ECV system is that you can narrowly lose several states and lose the Presidency.

Ohio is critical.
    Maybe Americans wanted a very narrow Democrat win, to keep them on a tight leash?

I'm not sure either side deserves a blow-out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

41% of the current OH vote is early vote, but the early vote should be 53% of the overall total.

Does that mean that there is 12% more early vote to come or the current counted votes have 41% early votes?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

That was my plan for 2020. They never did it.
    California secession plan then.

Not seriously, but what bet a snap poll after a Trump win, if it occurs, shows a marked increase in that?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Wisconsin 14% in Biden 50% Trump 47%
  • Options
    Fox call Virginia for Biden
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Can I remind everyone. there are three states the Democrats have hung their hats on PA, WI & MI.

Thats it, everything else is bonus territory.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The fact OH is so close is really all that is keeping Biden in this race right now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Harris County has been stuck at 82% for what seems like hours.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Reps fav Michigan too now
  • Options

MrEd said:

You will deserve credit for being correct, but let's be honest - you were predicting a Trump landslide win with victories in Virginia and Colorado. That's not going to happen.
    Actually I didn't. I said I thought Trump would keep his 2016 states and add NH and Minnesota. I said VA, CO and NM were outside bets if he did better.

I put the post up this morning and it was there for all to see.
  • Options
    I think the mistake I've made on here is saying the it will all be over before Pennsylvania declares. In fact, Pa. could be extremely important.

But this is far too close to call. The critical battles are in Ohio then Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Wisconsin
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

Stocky said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Endillion said:

I don't!

Nope.

So far every single state has gone the same as 2016 (AFAIK) - so if that remains the same, flipping PA (20), MI (16) and WI (10) would put Biden on 278. Minus NV, he'd still be on 272. No?
    Yes, you're right - as long as he also holds Minnesota and Virginia. Penn is where it's at.
  • Options
    Interesting though, polls here got 2019 spot on, what on Earth has gone on in the USA then?
  • Options
    Nate is on ABC now
  • Options

RobD said:

Does that mean that there is 12% more early vote to come or the current counted votes have 41% early votes?
    The latter, I think.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:
    CNN haven't called Florida despite the big margin. I thought that was the point Owen Jones was making.
    And that was the point I was agreeing with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ohio is also a read across for other Great Lakes states, and should make Biden feel more comfortable about Pennsylvania,
  • Options

Nate is on ABC now

Can you summarise what he says please?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Ohio is critical.
    Maybe Americans wanted a very narrow Democrat win, to keep them on a tight leash?

I'm not sure either side deserves a blow-out.
    It does not really work like that. There is no American hive mind to coordinate any particular result.
  • Options
    Trump is going to do it again, isn’t he.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

That’s still on, isn’t it?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Biden still has a good chance of winning. OH and TX are probably out of reach, but they always were long-shots. He needs WI MI NV and PA, and maybe AZ.

If the Hispanic vote is swinging as it has die then Nevada is gone for Biden.
  • Options

Blimey.

If all else stays the same, and GOP keep MI and OH, I think they do it whatever happens in WI and PA
  • Options

Harris County has been stuck at 82% for what seems like hours.

Cuyohoga in Ohia the same, at 52%
  • Options
    CNN already speculating on the nefarious reasons why Trump is doing better than expected.
  • Options

Michigan does in person voting first. I would buy the Dems there.
  • Options
    Chris Christie says Republican sources think they've won Ohio by c 1.5 to 2%
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    Quincel said:

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

I'm going to say this now, before the results come in, just as I said after the 2016 results. Based on the polls *before* the election I think Biden's strategy is hard to criticise. He was following a plan and it looked like it was working. If he loses then that sucks, but I don't think the evidence was there before election night that Biden wasn't giving himself a great shot with his low-key 'Let Trump attract bad publicity' campaign.
    Trouble was that from the second debate onwards, Trump was quite disciplined by his standards.
  • Options
    Is Laddy's 66/1 on a ECV draw on?? Nope not, I didn't back it.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    For the election it's now

Trump 1.44-1.45
    Biden 3.25-3.3

• Options
    stjohn said:

For the election it's now

Trump 1.44-1.45
    Biden 3.25-3.3

What are these people looking at??
  • Options
    Breaking: Americans still can't pronounce buoy
  • Options

I think the mistake I've made on here is saying the it will all be over before Pennsylvania declares. In fact, Pa. could be extremely important.

But this is far too close to call. The critical battles are in Ohio then Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Wisconsin

OH and MI staying GOP means PA and WI are moot....
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    gealbhan said:

Maybe they are not wrong, maybe people are forgetting it was supposed to look good for Trump at first. This isn’t a sprint race.
    As many of us said, the national polls may not be wrong by much, The issue is that Biden is racking up votes in states he's not winning, Texas, Georgia, NC , probably Ohio, and probably in more red states than those. The state polling was close enough for a 2/3% error to put Trump over the line in them , some like FL and NC always were real toss ups.
    PA had him up about 5% he might still nick it, but the way things are going , all the other states that were true 'toss ups' so within 2 or 3% Trumps winning most likely. So we will may well end up with Trump winning the EV despite losing the national vote by as much as 4% , twice what Clinton did.
  • Options

CNN already speculating on the nefarious reasons why Trump is doing better than expected.

Well, given the massive turnout, it can hardly be voter suppression.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I am kicking myself for listening to Ralston on Nevada
  • Options
    BBC has just cut to Washington DC outside the White House where a BLM protest is going on.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

OH and MI staying GOP means PA and WI are moot....
    MICHIGAN COUNTS ON THE DAY FIRST!
  • Options
    In a shock flip, Democrats take Texas senate seat?
  • Options
    One person I bet is smiling tonight..

Hillary Clinton.
  • Options

Trump is going to do it again, isn’t he.

Maybe but I don't think we'll get a definitive result for a few days.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

I am kicking myself for listening to Ralston on Nevada
    Ralston is still fairly bullish on Twitter about NV.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    OK I cashed out a small loss then went back in at 2.6 the 3.0

If Biden wins Michigan and Wisconsin is he 3.0 to win PA
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Quincel said:

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

Trouble was that from the second debate onwards, Trump was quite disciplined by his standards.
    Yes, we speculated here that the debate changes the Dems wanted would favour Trump, largely because they made him seem presidential while exposing the vacuity of Biden.
This discussion has been closed.