Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rewards for Failure

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    I thought you'd retired from PB. Nice to see you back.
    Nice if you fancy every other post being the hysterical outpourings of an attention-seeking mid-life crisis sufferer.
    You'll be pleased to hear I am not staying long. I have too many books to write and mouths to feed.
    Are you Boris Johnson?
    I thought he farmed the mouths out onto other people?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    I thought you'd retired from PB. Nice to see you back.
    Nice if you fancy every other post being the hysterical outpourings of an attention-seeking mid-life crisis sufferer.
    You'll be pleased to hear I am not staying long. I have too many books to write and mouths to feed.
    Are you Boris Johnson?
    I thought he farmed the mouths out onto other people?
    Ah! OK.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

Top banker RESIGNS for sexist comments he made....... 12 years ago

https://news.sky.com/story/top-bank-lobbyist-jones-quits-over-sexist-staveley-comments-12008103

There's something almost religious about this sort of thing.
    Misogyny ?

I wouldn’t have called it religious myself, but I can see what you mean.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Evening all :)

Should we be concerned at two worrying events in Asia (three if you count the mutated version of Covid-19 if true)?

First, escalating tension on the Korean peninsula. Kim-Jong-Un's sister seems to be the new power in the land and is taking a much harsher line including blowing up the inter-Korean liaison building in Kaesong. As always, there's very little clue as to the extent of covid-19 infections and deaths in North Korea.

Second, a shooting incident between Chinese and Indian forces on their disputed border. Those with long memories or Wikipedia will recall the 1962 conflict between the countries but neither is the country it was then. Both seem more self-confident and it may be a bit of sabre-rattling is part of that but hopefully this will be all as a major conflict in that part of the world would have global consequences.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    CatMan said:
    Trump does not look likely to increase his electoral college count on those numbers.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited June 2020
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    Two flights from Shanghai and one from Beijing landing at Heathrow within the next hour....
    Good job we have quarantine then
    Not sure how robust it is..
    *IF* there's an even worse strain of Covid doing the rounds in the Far East then I think we can wave goodbye to any reversal of the quarantine policy. The pressure then will be to make it more robust - i.e. to do a New Zealand and frogmarch most people entering the country into state-controlled accommodation for a fortnight.

The main problem then is going to be with truck drivers bringing in goods from Europe, though then again our neighbours won't be wanting any air travel from further afield under those circumstances either, which should help considerably.
    A more infectious and dangerous mutation is just too depressing for words. I hope it IS a mad rumour made up by Xi Jinping

I shall go for a calming walk in the evening sun
    Just when we think we have seen the back of a virus spreading fear and misery, it reappears.
    There's was some speculation that we already have a worse strain than Wuhan, and that's why our fatality rate was worse. It is likely that this bad strain has got back to China, although who knows.

See:
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v2.full.pdf

That might (partially) explain Germany - they got the less bad strain earlier. As did some Asian countries.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

We're getting used to weak Trump polling, but this really stands out, in a large state that Trump won 4 years ago:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html

So does this one.

Trump 11% behind in Florida (Page 16).

https://kittyhawk.amgreatness.com/app/uploads/2020/06/Florida-Crosstabs-June-2020-1.pdf
    People waking up. I knew they would. ☺
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,908
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    TimT said:

rkrkrk said:

If our criteria for top jobs is 'never having made a mistake/overseen a disaster', then we will end up with inexperienced leaders.

I personally would distinguish between incompetence (people can learn from experience) and dishonesty (should be a bar).

Not just inexperienced, but unimaginative risk avoiders. Innovation and ambition would be lost.

The US military had to change its promotion policy to top levels from reserving these positions for those with spotless records towards those who had shown willingness to try new things and learn from failures. The former led to a leadership full of mediocrities.
    Slightly missing the point, I feel. All the people mentioned had reached the top or near it - and when there displayed a level of incompetence and, more importantly, denial of responsibility which should really have justified no further rewards. And yet they were rewarded. Why?

I certainly agree that people should make mistakes and learn from them and this is an essential part of professional growth. But too often people make mistakes, do not learn, blame others, refuse to take responsibility and are still rewarded. This is very much not on, IMO.

And as for getting fresh blood into the top rank, I absolutely agree with this. Which is why it is so demoralising to see the same cast of characters being recycled into every role going.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    IanB2 said:

It has been widely reported that the virus that hit Europe and then the Americas is a mutated more contagious form of the original virus that hit China and then Asia.

The best assumption must be that the mutated contagious form has now found its way back to China?

stodge said:

Should we be concerned at two worrying events in Asia (three if you count the mutated version of Covid-19 if true)?

First, escalating tension on the Korean peninsula. Kim-Jong-Un's sister seems to be the new power in the land and is taking a much harsher line including blowing up the inter-Korean liaison building in Kaesong. As always, there's very little clue as to the extent of covid-19 infections and deaths in North Korea.

Second, a shooting incident between Chinese and Indian forces on their disputed border. Those with long memories or Wikipedia will recall the 1962 conflict between the countries but neither is the country it was then. Both seem more self-confident and it may be a bit of sabre-rattling is part of that but hopefully this will be all as a major conflict in that part of the world would have global consequences.

Who would have thought global relations being managed by a series of trade wars, nationalism and lack of respect for multi national bodies or international norms might lead to wars?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

It has been widely reported that the virus that hit Europe and then the Americas is a mutated more contagious form of the original virus that hit China and then Asia.

The best assumption must be that the mutated contagious form has now found its way back to China?

Could be. It has been posited that Japan has got off as lightly as it has (despite not having attempted a lockdown, and having the oldest population on Earth,) because the strain in circulation there is less contagious. But obviously this is all just speculation.

So long as the Beijing outbreak isn't actually a new strain of the virus that's significantly worse than anything seen previously, then the Chinese should be able to stamp it out without too much trouble. As has often been pointed out before, you wouldn't want to live under a police state but it does have certain advantages at a time like this.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Trump does not look likely to increase his electoral college count on those numbers.
    Yet someone posted a Politico piece yesterday claiming state and local Republican Party officials were confident of victory and one even believed it would be a landslide for the President.

One or two pre-Covid elections (not polls) were not been as bad for the GOP as some of the recent polls but the language of the GOP state and county officials is truly amazing.

I remember similar before the 1997 election here - there were Conservatives even in April who said the polls were wrong and the vote was firming up.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TimT said:

rkrkrk said:

If our criteria for top jobs is 'never having made a mistake/overseen a disaster', then we will end up with inexperienced leaders.

I personally would distinguish between incompetence (people can learn from experience) and dishonesty (should be a bar).

Not just inexperienced, but unimaginative risk avoiders. Innovation and ambition would be lost.

The US military had to change its promotion policy to top levels from reserving these positions for those with spotless records towards those who had shown willingness to try new things and learn from failures. The former led to a leadership full of mediocrities.
    Slightly missing the point, I feel. All the people mentioned had reached the top or near it - and when there displayed a level of incompetence and, more importantly, denial of responsibility which should really have justified no further rewards. And yet they were rewarded. Why?

I certainly agree that people should make mistakes and learn from them and this is an essential part of professional growth. But too often people make mistakes, do not learn, blame others, refuse to take responsibility and are still rewarded. This is very much not on, IMO.

And as for getting fresh blood into the top rank, I absolutely agree with this. Which is why it is so demoralising to see the same cast of characters being recycled into every role going.
    Many years ago, a friend of mine, an expert computer programmer working for the NHS, complained about her boss, who was a very weak, lazy and incompetent character who barely knew a Mac from a PC.

She was simply told, ‘Scum floats to the top.’
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

https://news.sky.com/story/top-bank-lobbyist-jones-quits-over-sexist-staveley-comments-12008103

There's something almost religious about this sort of thing.
    The implication is the remarks will have legal implications given that they will be read out in court.
    If they're serious enough to be relevant in an ongoing court case then it certainly seems significant.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Who would have thought global relations being managed by a series of trade wars, nationalism and lack of respect for multi national bodies or international norms might lead to wars?
    Has any one seem much of Kim Jung Un since his illness?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

He’s made two public appearances. One of which was a video of him chairing the politburo.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

I thought I saw him in Tescos last Saturday, but he was on the opposite side of the Fruit & Veg area which is quite big, so my eyes may have deceived me.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    edited June 2020
    If I had to do an urgent vs. important matrix, where I could only assign one quartile to cure/treatment, vaccine, containment and immune system building, it would go:
    Urgent and Important: cure/treatment
    Urgent but not Important: containment
    Important but not urgent: immune system building
    Not urgent and not important: Vaccine

But I think the Government's, and indeed the world's is the polar opposite.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    More Airhead One than Airforce One by the sound of it.
    The actual reality is that an RAF Voyager tanker plane will get a paint job.

As opposed to Blair Force One - remember that proposal?
    What happens when NI reunites with the rest of Ireland?
    It won't

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI
    Unionist Westminster MPs, absolute number and percentage of NI MPs:

2019: 8/18 = 44%
    2017: 10/18 = 56%
    2015: 11/18 = 61%
    2010: 9/18 = 50%
    2005: 10/18 = 56%
    2001: 11/18 =61%
    1997: 13/18 = 72%
    1992: 13/17 = 77%
    1987: 13/17 = 77%
    1983: 15/17 = 88%
    1979: 9/12 = 75%
    1974 Oct: 10/12 = 83%
    1974 Feb: 11/12 = 92%

Unionist vote in NI in 2019 43%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2019 38%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results/northern_ireland

Unionist vote in NI in 2010 44%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2010 43%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/6.stm
    Unionist vote 1979: 54%
    Unionist vote 1987: 55%
    Unionist vote 1997: 51%
    Unionist vote 2010: 50%
    Unionist vote 2019: 43%
    Wrong, Unionist vote was only 44% in 2010.

The Nationalist vote has actually fallen since 2010, all the movement has been to the non sectarian Alliance which got 16% in 2019
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI

The Nationalist vote has actually fallen since 2010, all the movement has been to the non sectarian Alliance which got 16% in 2019
    When can we have the NI border poll? Cheerio Arlene
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Let's see how Biden survives a campaign....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

A big red London bus just went past. Rush hour. 3 people on it. Camden.

The economy is going into an ice age.

Are you staying in London now? No more Barry Island?
    I would strongly advise you never to make that geographical mistake if you are in Penarth.
    I went to Wales once. It was shut 😊.

Oops no that was last week under Drakeford. It's ok normally!
    That cannot be true.

You would get stopped at the border, while we cannot get out

It is ludicrous
    Really? Do the Welsh government have policemen line up along Offa’s Dyke and patrol boats surveying the River Wye?
    Yes
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    He does not need to increase his electoral college count, he can lose Michigan for example and still be re elected.

On those numbers Pennsylvania and 1 of Wisconsin or North Carolina are the key states Biden must win to win the Electoral College and Presidency
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

I thought I saw him in Tescos last Saturday, but he was on the opposite side of the Fruit & Veg area which is quite big, so my eyes may have deceived me.
    Unlikely. He's a Waitrose man.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    We’re going to have sweet memories of 2016, aren’t we?
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Unlikely. He's a Waitrose man.
    Surely Fortnum and Mason?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Have the dems even set out their policy stall yet?

Taxes? Healthcare? Defence? Law and order? Foreign policy?

Has Trump for that matter?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

Never while Northern Ireland still sees polls like this

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUKKBN20C0WF
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

I find it maddening in stories of this ilk that they don’t cite the comments that triggered the resignation. I end up trawling the internet to find them, so I can judge the severity for myself.
    Presumably they are truly offensive, hence the reluctance to republish. I imagine lots of naughty words

However unless he was inciting violence or rape or something disgusting like that, it is mad that anyone should resign for rude words said 12 years ago!

What's happened to apology, contrition, and forgiveness? These are civilised things.
    Some Christian chap at Westminster Abbey was talking about the importance of forgiveness recently. I'm surprised to hear you mention it, though. I always had you down as more of an Old Testament sort of guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Trump doesn’t do policies. He promises everything his audience wants with the promise someone else will pay for it.

That’s why I annoy the hell out of Labour members by comparing him to Corbyn.

(Yes, comparisons to Johnson are fair as well.)
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

I find it maddening in stories of this ilk that they don’t cite the comments that triggered the resignation. I end up trawling the internet to find them, so I can judge the severity for myself.
    Presumably they are truly offensive, hence the reluctance to republish. I imagine lots of naughty words

However unless he was inciting violence or rape or something disgusting like that, it is mad that anyone should resign for rude words said 12 years ago!

What's happened to apology, contrition, and forgiveness? These are civilised things.
    Some Christian chap at Westminster Abbey was talking about the importance of forgiveness recently. I'm surprised to hear you mention it, though. I always had you down as more of an Old Testament sort of guy.
    Which one? Hardly Solomon. David perhaps?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Doesn't need to. A corpse is more electable than Trump in 2020.

Maybe affect the margin slightly.

Florida?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

If I had to do an urgent vs. important matrix, where I could only assign one quartile to cure/treatment, vaccine, containment and immune system building, it would go:
    Urgent and Important: cure/treatment
    Urgent but not Important: containment
    Important but not urgent: immune system building
    Not urgent and not important: Vaccine

But I think the Government's, and indeed the world's is the polar opposite.

Why wouldn't you want to develop a vaccine?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUKKBN20C0WF
    It's good for Boris to allow the I'll to demonstrate transparency of options.

Maybe he will allow pubs to open soon too! A bit like Northern Ireland
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

Rodney Connor was backed by the Unionist parties in FST
    Lady Hermon was the Ind Unionist in North Down
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

It's good for Boris to allow the I'll to demonstrate transparency of options.

Maybe he will allow pubs to open soon too! A bit like Northern Ireland
    I'll = poll. I can't do the edit on my phone!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
  • Options
    edited June 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

Rodney Connor was not an official Unionist candidate and Lady Hermon was opposed by the Ulster Conservatives and Unionists in 2010 and since by the DUP and most of her voters now vote Alliance
  • Options
    They’ve been unfairly Lavalled as Fascist twits.
  • Options
    Actually the Vichy slogan was

Travail, famille, patrie

Which is "Work, Family, Homeland".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travail,_famille,_patrie
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Doubt anyone cares about that. This is a referendum on four more years or Trump or not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

Rodney Connor was not an official Unionist candidate and Lady Hermon was opposed by the DUP and most of her voters now vote Alliance
    Connor was the only Unionist candidate in FST!
    Hermon was no way a Nationalist!

Total Unionist vote in 2010 was 50%.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    India +2k deaths today, some re-classifying of previous deaths in Mumbai area it seems.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    ydoethur said:

Isn't the 'Blue Labour' thing essentially middle-class racists, who then claim to be pro-proletariat because plenty of oiks are also racist?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Doubt anyone cares about that. This is a referendum on four more years or Trump or not.
    I think people will want to know how Biden intends to marshal the left of his party.Or whether its the left really pulling the strings.

We shall see.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

Isn't the 'Blue Labour' thing essentially middle-class racists, who then claim to be pro-proletariat because plenty of oiks are also racist?
    Well it got Jon Cruddas re elected in Dagenham last year by just 293 votes
  • Options
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

No idea, I just saw a great punning opportunity.

But out of curiosity, how would being ‘middle-class racists, who then claim to be pro-proletariat’ be different from red Labour?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

Rodney Connor was not an official Unionist candidate and Lady Hermon was opposed by the DUP and most of her voters now vote Alliance

As I pointed out the Nationalist vote is just 38%, most of the gains since 2010 have gone to the Alliance Party from both Unionists and Nationalists.

Indeed the Alliance Party now hold North Down and most of their vote there is soft Unionist ie Hermon's old voters
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

TimT said:

rkrkrk said:

Many years ago, a friend of mine, an expert computer programmer working for the NHS, complained about her boss, who was a very weak, lazy and incompetent character who barely knew a Mac from a PC.

She was simply told, ‘Scum floats to the top.’
    My theory is that in most large organisations the skills and character needed to get to the top are vastly different from the skills and character needed once you are at the top.

Every so often a company will strike lucky and the boss will suddenly display hitherto unknown talents..... More often than not they will remain venal self-promoters!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    What’s going on with local by elections? There must be a fair few vacancies right now. Is there a chance we might get a Super Thursday at some point in the not too distant future?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

What’s going on with local by elections? There must be a fair few vacancies right now. Is there a chance we might get a Super Thursday at some point in the not too distant future?

There are to be no local elections until May, including no by elections
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    tlg86 said:

I thought all by elections have been rolled forward to May 2021?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TimT said:

rkrkrk said:

This is exactly my criticism of certain ministers.
    Not that they have made mistakes, but the refusal to acknowledge them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On what was generally an excellent night for the Conservatives, was that one of the few that got away?

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Looks like the new "Blue" British passport is in fact "Black" (which is actually a lot closer to the very very dark blue it was originally:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1296738/passport-uk-renewal-passports-brexit-blue-twitter-outrage
  • Options
    stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Yet someone posted a Politico piece yesterday claiming state and local Republican Party officials were confident of victory and one even believed it would be a landslide for the President.

One or two pre-Covid elections (not polls) were not been as bad for the GOP as some of the recent polls but the language of the GOP state and county officials is truly amazing.

I remember similar before the 1997 election here - there were Conservatives even in April who said the polls were wrong and the vote was firming up.
    That would be me.
    I didn’t believe it either - but I thought it worth posting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Looks like the new "Blue" British passport is in fact "Black" (which is actually a lot closer to the very very dark blue it was originally:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1296738/passport-uk-renewal-passports-brexit-blue-twitter-outrage

Can I go back and change my vote? :D
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I missed that. So some poor buggers are currently lacking representation; I’m sure they’ll cope, though!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

As I pointed out the Nationalist vote is just 38%, most of the gains since 2010 have gone to the Alliance Party from both Unionists and Nationalists.

Indeed the Alliance Party now hold North Down and most of their vote there is soft Unionist ie Hermon's old voters
    As I pointed out, the Unionist vote just ten years ago was 50%, now it is only 43%. In 2010 they had half the NI Westminster seats, now they have less than half.
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Cheese counter I might have believed.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I missed that. So some poor buggers are currently lacking representation; I’m sure they’ll cope, though!

I know in most areas the remaining councillors have taken on the case work for the great unrepresented.

Sadly it has deprived PB of some great Thursday night/Friday morning analysis and speculation.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I know in most areas the remaining councillors have taken on the case work for the great unrepresented.

Sadly it has deprived PB of some great Thursday night/Friday morning analysis and speculation.
    I think local by elections aren’t particularly revealing, but it’s still fun to read far too much into them.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

I spoke to him on Monday - he's borrowed Phil the Greek's old black cab and drives around London, taking fares. He was telling me about how he'd spun a yarn to a travel/airport novel writer about being Albanian....
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    stodge said:

I thought that the bizarre thing about the China-India incident was that there was no shooting involved. To prevent escalation neither side carry guns in the disputed border area and so the deaths were caused by sticks, rocks and bare-handed fighting? Seems to be a lot of violence in the air at the moment!
  • Options
    eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

I've been missing you
  • Options
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

You left? Why did you leave?!
    This is getting quite Meta.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

SeanT has come back as SeanT?

Mindgames.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Oh that's just sad.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Nurse!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Huge Lol!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Why haven’t you got Byronic out of mothballs? A transitioning male model who lives in Richmond would be most welcome in the impending culture war.
  • Options

I actually really like it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

There are to be no local elections until May, including no by elections
    No elections ever again.

Opinion polls only.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

I was BANNED. Yes, I know. For Speaking Truth to Power. Tho I am sorry if I offended anyone

:)
    I find that hard to believe. The only thing you ever did was tease that pompous fool IanB2, who thoroughly deserves it, otherwise I found your comments extremely acute, witty and prescient, almost up to my standard, TBH
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

As I pointed out, the Unionist vote just ten years ago was 50%, now it is only 43%. In 2010 they had half the NI Westminster seats, now they have less than half.
    It is a constant in NI that while the Unionist vote polls solidly for remaining in the UK, a substantial chunk of the Nationalist/Republican vote polls for remain as well.

Even during the time of the Armalite&Ballot Box strategy, a substantial chunk of Shinner votes stated their intention to vote against a United Ireland.

There has been little proper analysis of why this is. Anecdote suggests that the substantial difference in benefits plays a part. As does the issue of abortion.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

I was BANNED. Yes, I know. For Speaking Truth to Power. Tho I am sorry if I offended anyone

I find that hard to believe. The only thing you ever did was tease that pompous fool IanB2, who thoroughly deserves it, otherwise I found your comments extremely acute, witty and prescient, almost up to my standard, TBH
    You're never alone with schizophrenia right enough.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

He looks more of a cream cake sort of dictator.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Even during your period of mystic gender reassignment?
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

On what was generally an excellent night for the Conservatives, was that one of the few that got away?

Yes I thought Dagenham would narrowly go Tory as the only Tory gain in London but instead Kensington was the only seat in the capital the Tories gained and Dagenham stayed Labour
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

When I said I was waiting to see SeanT get to 30,000 identities, I didn’t mean all together on the same thread.

Maybe we'll see byronic and fitz later?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Thanks. You don't realise how much that means to me. I've always been a huge fan of yours, but I tried to keep it quiet. Mysticrose and I have a secret fanclub dedicated to your brilliant books and renowned sexual power.
    Oh please. I'd rather discuss modified d'Hondt voting systems and their possible replacements.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Thanks. You don't realise how much that means to me. I've always been a huge fan of yours, but I tried to keep it quiet. Mysticrose and I have a secret fanclub dedicated to your brilliant books and renowned sexual power.
    Alright, lol. you better stop or people will think we're related
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

It is a constant in NI that while the Unionist vote polls solidly for remaining in the UK, a substantial chunk of the Nationalist/Republican vote polls for remain as well.

Even during the time of the Armalite&Ballot Box strategy, a substantial chunk of Shinner votes stated their intention to vote against a United Ireland.

There has been little proper analysis of why this is. Anecdote suggests that the substantial difference in benefits plays a part. As does the issue of abortion.
    Stockholm syndrome?
  • Options
    eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

I’ve never seen a man suck his own cock before.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cue the Guardian opinionator, whoever it was, lamenting that her own country is delivering a life-saving treatment.
    https://www.brookes.ac.uk/hpc/staff-and-students/student-profiles/?dept=hpc&uid=98
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes I thought Dagenham would narrowly go Tory as the only Tory gain in London but instead Kensington was the only seat in the capital the Tories gained and Dagenham stayed Labour
    To be fair, you did gain Carshalton & Wallington from the LDs but lost Richmond Park to the LDs and Putney to Labour so the 2019 seat numbers for London were unchanged from 2017 - Labour 49, Conservative 21, Liberal Democrats 3.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

No, it was 50% in 2010:

DUP 25%
    UCUNF (UUP/Tory) 15%
    TUV 4%
    Rodney Connor 3%
    Sylvia Hermon 3%

Stockholm syndrome?
    Given that, for most of the PIRA, living on benefits was the only money they got*... it seems quite sensible not to vote for a pay cut...

*Yes, a few godfathers made millions. Most were unemployed and unemployable.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Oh please. I'd rather discuss modified d'Hondt voting systems and their possible replacements.
    So you want me to do a thread on AV and other voting systems this weekend?

Well since you asked nicely.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Scott_xP said:
    I didn't expect my predictions of hits on middle class benefits to be borne out that quickly. It was only about lunch time today.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

That would be me.
    I didn’t believe it either - but I thought it worth posting.
    One reason might be the mood music right in the US might be extremely bad. We all know they don;t have the social cushion we do or the furlough scheme to kick the can down the road and so corona must have hit ordinary workers very hard indeed, and much earlier than in the UK.

The Federal Reserve was very downbeat in in latest comments and rates will be at zero for the next two and a half years at least. They recently announced some new bond buying measures to shore up liquidity, so they must still be very worried about overall economic health.

Plus, corona is still hanging around in some US states as it rolls through this vast country, and racial disharmony can't be helping

The polls could be picking up a general malaise, though I grant you the swing does seem to be too big for that.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

With these AV threads you are spoiling us.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

You're never alone with schizophrenia right enough.
    You might be stranded.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

SeanT said:

eadric said:

I'm back! Hahahahaha!

HaHA!

Please D’Hondt.
This discussion has been closed.