Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rewards for Failure

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,094
    edited June 2020
    Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Is this what a second wave looks like?

Depressing images coming out of Iran again: usually an ominous sign

https://twitter.com/Laaask2/status/1272917034549075969?s=20

Looks bad across all Islamic countries even on the official figures - I'm assuming it's a Ramadan effect.
    If this virus comes back as a second wave, around the world, worse than the first..... God help us.

What's more, even if you "contain" the virus, life is seriously dystopian.

Look at this FT article on South Korea (££)

Schoolkids in plastic boxes. No social interaction allowed

https://www.ft.com/content/d68d6292-0486-4bfc-bf5c-54ce850a3f7a

"By the time eight-year-old Lee Ji-ho is bundled out the door for his one day a week of in-class schooling, his mother has already completed an online form detailing his temperature, any signs of a cough or other respiratory complaints, and whether any family members have recently arrived home from overseas or are in quarantine.

"Once at school in Seoul’s Seocho district, he sits metres apart from classmates and is instructed not to talk to friends — not even during lunch, where instead he eats in solitude, separated from the other children by a plastic divider."
    It may be that a lot of these so-called second waves are in fact the first wave in places where they tried to cover it up to begin with.
    I think a second wave is merely a part of the normal process. My occasional contacts with a stats-reporting acquaintance in PHE has made that entirely clear in conversations since last December.

I have never understood all the flapping about X country doing worse than Y country or vice-versa when all the stats are incompatible and we are only in wave 1.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    Far from it, the discovery Dexamethasone cuts the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators and for those on oxygen cut deaths by a fifth is excellent news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

The fact China has ended lockdown and declared it has solved the problem without introducing proper social distancing is another example of China not acting effectively on this
    China's death rate of 3 per million compared with the UK's 618 per million suggests they are acting more effectively than we are.

Even if the Chinese data are not accurate, I don't imagine their real death rate is over 200 times the reported rate.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited June 2020
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited June 2020

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Nice pungent header.

I guess Miss Cyclefree had lots of pepper in her porridge this morning.

It deserves more on topic comment, but other than agreement, there's little I can add.
    Yeah, it's a very good header. Leadership is difficult, and modern organisations are complex with many opportunities for screwing up, but nevertheless we do seem to be lumbered with a lot of mediocre leadership right now. I guess everyone projects their own pet hates onto the problem, so for me a big part of the problem is a hierarchical, class-ridden society that favours well spoken mediocrities polished by the public school-Oxbridge complex over real talent or expertise (and its associated problems, the cults of the amateur and the generalist). But I imagine that's not the only reason. Perhaps we are too nice? Germans and Americans tend to be much more abrasive in professional life, and seem to run things better.
    There's one big thing I share with @Cyclefree which is - speaking generally - we are often too eager to search for "systemic" reasons for things that go wrong. My sense is that we do this for 2 reasons. (i) Because it sounds more brainy. (ii) Because it is easier to discuss and change systems than it is to discuss and change what is usually the problem - people and the cultures they create.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    I thought you'd retired from PB. Nice to see you back.
    Nice if you fancy every other post being the hysterical outpourings of an attention-seeking mid-life crisis sufferer.
    You'll be pleased to hear I am not staying long. I have too many books to write and mouths to feed.
    Not so. If I could get you off this obsession of yours, I’d be keen to see you return permanently. Your non-Covid posts can be compelling.
  • HYUFD said:
    This is an excellent point.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

Marcus Rashford has done more for child poverty than all the opposition mps put together or that grossly overpaid Gary Lineker

Marcus a top class striker, in more ways than one

As ever they were talking about England, of course in Scotland the government had never had any intention of stopping the support and it was business as usual.
    Malcolmg returns to 'little Scotlander' and is no longer classified as 'Aveit Scotland' 😊
    Have to point out the lies , half truths and inaccuracies on here where Little Englanders take credit for what is the norm in Scotland and try to pretend Westminster does anything other than rob us blind. 300 years of stealing is way more than enough.
  • SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    This seems to be nuts.

Top banker RESIGNS for sexist comments he made....... 12 years ago

https://news.sky.com/story/top-bank-lobbyist-jones-quits-over-sexist-staveley-comments-12008103
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Nigelb said:

Mr. Borough, 'mansplaining'?

It's a stupid term anyway, but makes no sense at all given Rashford is also a man...

Bossplaining ?
    Explaining?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    HYUFD said:
    Or maybe it was just the right thing to do

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    Far from it, the discovery Dexamethasone cuts the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators and for those on oxygen cut deaths by a fifth is excellent news.

The fact China has ended lockdown and declared it has solved the problem without introducing proper social distancing is another example of China not acting effectively on this
    China's death rate of 3 per million compared with the UK's 618 per million suggests they are acting more effectively than we are.

Even if the Chinese data are not accurate, I don't imagine their real death rate is over 200 times the reported rate.
    If it sounds too good to be true then you can be sure it really is too good to be true. Sounds like the Chinese have Toryitis to me.

SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    Nice if you fancy every other post being the hysterical outpourings of an attention-seeking mid-life crisis sufferer.
    You'll be pleased to hear I am not staying long. I have too many books to write and mouths to feed.
    Not so. If I could get you off this obsession of yours, I’d be keen to see you return permanently. Your non-Covid posts can be compelling.
    We like Sean and want him back permanently
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    malcolmg said:

Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

Marcus Rashford has done more for child poverty than all the opposition mps put together or that grossly overpaid Gary Lineker

As ever they were talking about England, of course in Scotland the government had never had any intention of stopping the support and it was business as usual.
    Malcolmg returns to 'little Scotlander' and is no longer classified as 'Aveit Scotland' 😊
    Have to point out the lies , half truths and inaccuracies on here where Little Englanders take credit for what is the norm in Scotland and try to pretend Westminster does anything other than rob us blind. 300 years of stealing is way more than enough.
    If it’s “the norm” why did Sturgeon announce it this lunchtime?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    More Airhead One than Airforce One by the sound of it.
    The actual reality is that an RAF Voyager tanker plane will get a paint job.

As opposed to Blair Force One - remember that proposal?
    What happens when NI reunites with the rest of Ireland?
    Phew, that's optimistic! I know Britain is going places but I can't see Ireland joining for a while yet.
    SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

https://news.sky.com/story/top-bank-lobbyist-jones-quits-over-sexist-staveley-comments-12008103

I find it maddening in stories of this ilk that they don’t cite the comments that triggered the resignation. I end up trawling the internet to find them, so I can judge the severity for myself.
    edited June 2020

Actually Gary Lineker has done a lot for childhood leukaemia but he's not chosen to publicise that.

You can be very ungallant at times.
    True.

However Lineker is also something of a shitstirrer who does not do his homework and does not correct his misleading statements to 7.5m followers.

eg
    https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1271872555209629700

In fact she mentioned it several times in her statement to the Commons.
    They're aving a go at Julius Caesar now

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1272564524084678657?s=20

malcolmg said:

Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

She was merely pointing out as ever that the mince in Westminster was unconnected with Scotland. As ever old Toom Tabard is pig sick that Scotland leads the way , no humiliating u-turns for Sturgeon and SNP. You must be feeling like you are sucking a bag of lemons all the time nowadays. How popular can the SNP get.

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

The Chinese death rate is likely far more than reported and of course they sat on the Covid news for weeks

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

I find it maddening in stories of this ilk that they don’t cite the comments that triggered the resignation. I end up trawling the internet to find them, so I can judge the severity for myself.
    Presumably they are truly offensive, hence the reluctance to republish. I imagine lots of naughty words

However unless he was inciting violence or rape or something disgusting like that, it is mad that anyone should resign for rude words said 12 years ago!

What's happened to apology, contrition, and forgiveness? These are civilised things.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Can we all take a moment to REJOICE at the fact that of all the nations in the world it was little old Blighty that's come up with the first treatment for this thing? It's like 1940 all over again (and one in the eye for the also-rans of Cambridge).
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    MattW said:

Actually Gary Lineker has done a lot for childhood leukaemia but he's not chosen to publicise that.

You can be very ungallant at times.
    True.

However Lineker is also a shitstirrer who does not do his homework and does not correct his misleading statements to 7.5m followers.

eg
    https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1271872555209629700

In fact she mentioned it several times in her statement to the Commons ffs.
    The most violent behaviour at the weekend was almost allat Waterloo Station wasn't it? A big crowd of black men beating up a white bloke.

I wouldn't say they were BLM, just because they were black, they could have just been trouble makers, but I doubt that's who Lineker is referring to
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

The Chinese death rate is likely far more than reported and of course they sat on the Covid news for weeks
    possibly months
    edited June 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

She was merely pointing out as ever that the mince in Westminster was unconnected with Scotland. As ever old Toom Tabard is pig sick that Scotland leads the way , no humiliating u-turns for Sturgeon and SNP. You must be feeling like you are sucking a bag of lemons all the time nowadays. How popular can the SNP get.
    Sturgeon U-turned first! You must be thrilled!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-says-free-school-meals-will-be-extended-to-cover-the-summer-holiday-vdn86gnd0
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

Was never a u-turn it was just continue as usual policy, really got your goat for sure , spitting feathers.@CarlottaVance
    Don't tell me you did not know it had been policy in Scotland for some years.
    Is it actually possible that China has done ANOTHER Wuhan-style cover-up?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    MikeL said:

Just went into tax credits calculator.

Single parent, two children, working part-time earning £7,500 per year gets:

Child tax credits £477.87 every 4 weeks (ie £119 per week)
    Working tax credits of £360.80 every 4 weeks (ie £90 per week)

They will also get child benefit of £35 per week (£21.05 1st child, £13.95 2nd child)

Can anyone explain what the child tax credits and child benefit (total £154 per week) is for if it isn't to feed your children?

In total such a person is getting per year £12,688 benefits + £7,500 earnings (zero tax/NI) to give total of £20,188 cash in their pocket.

And they can't buy their children lunch?

Rent.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    SeanT said:

They're aving a go at Julius Caesar now

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1272564524084678657?s=20

Surely 'offensive wax tablets?' Ed.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

Was never a u-turn it was just continue as usual policy, really got your goat for sure , spitting feathers.
    If it isn’t a new policy why does it require extra money? I’m sure as a Scottish tax payer you are delighted.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18521376.parents-glasgow-get-cash-payment-school-meals-summer/
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    Well, yes. Eadric, Fitz, Byronic, the entire harem brought back from Penarth...
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

The main problem with Irish reunification could well turn out to be the attitude of the Republic rather than the attitude of the North. Do they *really* want it back?

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

The main problem with Irish reunification could well turn out to be the attitude of the Republic rather than the attitude of the North. Do they *really* want it back?
    Yes.

What they’re probably less sure of is what the hell to do with the place when they’ve got it.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

HYUFD said:
    Or maybe it was just the right thing to do
    Politicians usually think whatever they decide to do is the right thing to so, that's why they decided to do it. To change position perhaps they really did just consider the initial position was wrong, but perceived political advantage (or negation of disadvantage) beign taken into account is not even a criticism.
    SeanT said:

Why another? They haven’t stopped the first one yet.
    SeanT said:
    Two flights from Shanghai and one from Beijing landing at Heathrow within the next hour....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    SeanT said:

No - the Chinese state has moved on to mass-cloning airport thriller/travel writers....

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    SeanT said:

I couldn't say, but I think authoritarianism and state lying is likely to be very habit forming for many places.
    A big red London bus just went past. Rush hour. 3 people on it. Camden.

The economy is going into an ice age.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    A more virulent mutation is the last thing we need. The people who got immunity in the first wave may be the lucky ones.

SeanT said:
    Two flights from Shanghai and one from Beijing landing at Heathrow within the next hour....
    Good job we have quarantine then
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    SeanT said:

Are you staying in London now? No more Barry Island?

SeanT said:
    Not sure how robust it is..
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited June 2020

A more virulent mutation is the last thing we need. The people who got immunity in the first wave may be the lucky ones.

Those reports are as yet completely unverified, it should be borne in mind.

SeanT said:
    Priti Patel could orchestrate a reversal of the theatre around her sacking and travel to Heathrow to prevent them disembarking and make them fly back to China.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    We're getting used to weak Trump polling, but this really stands out, in a large state that Trump won 4 years ago:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html

To muddy the waters still further, some China watchers say the rumours of a nasty new mutation are being spread by China herself, so she can blame a renewed outbreak on incoming and irresponsible westerners, bringing in their even more unpleasant Covid-20.

But if this is truly a more virulent remake, eek.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI
    Unionist Westminster MPs, absolute number and percentage of NI MPs:

2019: 8/18 = 44%
    2017: 10/18 = 56%
    2015: 11/18 = 61%
    2010: 9/18 = 50%
    2005: 10/18 = 56%
    2001: 11/18 =61%
    1997: 13/18 = 72%
    1992: 13/17 = 77%
    1987: 13/17 = 77%
    1983: 15/17 = 88%
    1979: 9/12 = 75%
    1974 Oct: 10/12 = 83%
    1974 Feb: 11/12 = 92%

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    IshmaelZ said:

Can we all take a moment to REJOICE at the fact that of all the nations in the world it was little old Blighty that's come up with the first treatment for this thing? It's like 1940 all over again (and one in the eye for the also-rans of Cambridge).

We produced the first high quality research trial on steroids such as Dexamethasone, but it has been a staple treatment on theoretical grounds for some time.

This is a 2004 debate on the subject, in the context of SARS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC420028/
    edited June 2020
    Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

I would strongly advise you never to make that geographical mistake if you are in Penarth.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

SeanT said:
    *IF* there's an even worse strain of Covid doing the rounds in the Far East then I think we can wave goodbye to any reversal of the quarantine policy. The pressure then will be to make it more robust - i.e. to do a New Zealand and frogmarch most people entering the country into state-controlled accommodation for a fortnight.

The main problem then is going to be with truck drivers bringing in goods from Europe, though then again our neighbours won't be wanting any air travel from further afield under those circumstances either, which should help considerably.
    edited June 2020

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

Unionist vote in NI in 2019 43%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2019 38%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results/northern_ireland

Unionist vote in NI in 2010 44%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2010 43%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/6.stm

SeanT said:
    Priti Patel could orchestrate a reversal of the theatre around her sacking and travel to Heathrow to prevent them disembarking and make them fly back to China.
    Perhaps she should tell them it’s a standard eye testing procedure that they have to fly the plane back to China without hitting anything.

SeanT said:
    *IF* there's an even worse strain of Covid doing the rounds in the Far East then I think we can wave goodbye to any reversal of the quarantine policy. The pressure then will be to make it more robust - i.e. to do a New Zealand and frogmarch most people entering the country into state-controlled accommodation for a fortnight.

The main problem then is going to be with truck drivers bringing in goods from Europe, though then again our neighbours won't be wanting any air travel from further afield under those circumstances either, which should help considerably.
    A more infectious and dangerous mutation is just too depressing for words. I hope it IS a mad rumour made up by Xi Jinping

I shall go for a calming walk in the evening sun
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454

SeanT said:
    When they tracked where infections from flights actually came from I think China was sub 1% with Spain highest and nearly all from Europe. The calls for quarantine, which generally started mid March, were for China, Iran, Korea and Italy at the time.
    ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

I would strongly advise you never to make that geographical mistake if you are in Penarth.
    I went to Wales once. It was shut 😊.

Oops no that was last week under Drakeford. It's ok normally!

We're getting used to weak Trump polling, but this really stands out, in a large state that Trump won 4 years ago:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html

He is going to be utterly humiliated.

One term president rejected by landslide when running against a 78 year old who looks and sounds 85.

This is what happens when you have nothing - NOTHING - to offer except hatred and division.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

SeanT said:

Truck drivers won't be a problem because you bring the TEU containers to the border and then the cab heads back. (Which is how it works, in a slightly bizarre manner, on the South Korean - North Korea border.)
    Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

You went to Wales and were not arrested?
    kinabalu said:

One term president rejected by landslide when running against a 78 year old who looks and sounds 85.

This is what happens when you have nothing - NOTHING - to offer except hatred and division.
    Daft comment.

I’ve known lots of very fit and alert 85 year olds.

One neighbour of my father who keeps a discreet eye on him for me is 87 but you’d swear he wasn’t a day over 65.
    Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

You would get stopped at the border, while we cannot get out

It is ludicrous
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,930
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

We produced the first high quality research trial on steroids such as Dexamethasone, but it has been a staple treatment on theoretical grounds for some time.

This is a 2004 debate on the subject, in the context of SARS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC420028/
    And dexamethasone was made/discovered by Merck in 1950s America.

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

It is ludicrous
    Someone needs a better Offa ...

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

It is ludicrous
    Big G it was a little joke re me going there last week.

Unlike Drakeford. Who's a big joke!
    ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

No I behaved myself! Good at spreading harmony among the nations. Bit like eadric.
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

It is ludicrous

Well, he might be if he was only funny.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited June 2020
    SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

There's something almost religious about this sort of thing.
    Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

No I behaved myself! Good at spreading harmony among the nations. Bit like eadric.
    I’m sure he’s keen on spreading Harmony, I’m just not sure on this ‘among the nations’ part? is it a reference to a bedsheet made of flags?
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Daft comment.

One neighbour of my father who keeps a discreet eye on him for me is 87 but you’d swear he wasn’t a day over 65.
    125 then?

No but seriously, landslide defeat to opponent who is seen as far from formidable - is the point.

SO literal you are sometimes!
    Any chance of Boris letting the hospitality industry know the rules before 4 July??

Astonishing that we are lagging behind Sinn Fein in this respect!
    @Casino_Royale Re: the video of the police shooting someone in the US, no they were real bullets. I probably shouldn’t have posted it without a warning.
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Daft comment.

125 then?

No but seriously, landslide defeat to opponent who is seen as far from formidable - is the point.

My ally is the Force...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

The implication is the remarks will have legal implications given that they will be read out in court.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It won't

Unionist vote in NI in 2019 43%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2019 38%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results/northern_ireland

Unionist vote in NI in 2010 44%

Nationalist vote in NI in 2010 43%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/6.stm
    Unionist vote 1979: 54%
    Unionist vote 1987: 55%
    Unionist vote 1997: 51%
    Unionist vote 2010: 50%
    Unionist vote 2019: 43%
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    "Thousands sign petition to temporarily close Bicester Village over COVID-19 concerns
    Shoppers say they are worried about large queues outside some of the complex's designer boutiques."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-thousands-sign-petition-to-temporarily-close-bicester-village-over-covid-19-concerns-12007965
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

A more infectious and dangerous mutation is just too depressing for words. I hope it IS a mad rumour made up by Xi Jinping

Just when we think we have seen the back of a virus spreading fear and misery, it reappears.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

It is ludicrous

Well, he might be if he was only funny.
    Drakeford coming across far better than he used to. Low bar granted. Far, far more self assured at press conferences than Johnson. OK another low bar.

Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

SeanT said:

That cannot be true.

It is ludicrous
    Really? Do the Welsh government have policemen line up along Offa’s Dyke and patrol boats surveying the River Wye?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Andy_JS said:

"Thousands sign petition to temporarily close Bicester Village over COVID-19 concerns
    Shoppers say they are worried about large queues outside some of the complex's designer boutiques."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-thousands-sign-petition-to-temporarily-close-bicester-village-over-covid-19-concerns-12007965

Shoppers? If they are concerned they can go home.
    That would be interesting, if true. HSJ has done a certain amount of sensationism.

I had a diagnosis last week that would put me into shielding (pancytopenia - a full house of low blood counts), which would be my third period of isolation since Christmas, but the sensible Doc did not try to argue with sense and risk assessment - eg continued solitary exercise on the bike.

I think that given the low occurrence of new cases, this - including sensible judgement - is perhaps wise.

My LA area of 100k people is now contributing less than 1 new case per week. That is now the case for about 1/3 of local authorities in England.

Probably important not to withdraw support services too rapidly.

But just wait for the media flapathon.
    Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:

This seems to be nuts.

The warding off of existential terror by embracing - despite the absence of evidence - an implacable belief in life after death?
    Ave_it said:

Any chance of Boris letting the hospitality industry know the rules before 4 July??

Astonishing that we are lagging behind Sinn Fein in this respect!

It’s utter madness.

The government needs to nail this down now.
    edited June 2020
    Cue the Guardian opinionator, whoever it was, lamenting that her own country is delivering a life-saving treatment.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Just when we think we have seen the back of a virus spreading fear and misery, it reappears.
    I see what you did there.
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Daft comment.

125 then?

My ally is the Force...
    The greatest failure, teacher is!

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Daft comment.

125 then?

My ally is the Force...
    The greatest failure, teacher is!
    Huh! No more Deltic videos for you, sunshine...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    SeanT said:

Andy_JS said:

SeanT said:
    Are you Boris Johnson?
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572

So does this one.

Trump 11% behind in Florida (Page 16).

https://kittyhawk.amgreatness.com/app/uploads/2020/06/Florida-Crosstabs-June-2020-1.pdf
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    It has been widely reported that the virus that hit Europe and then the Americas is a mutated more contagious form of the original virus that hit China and then Asia.

The best assumption must be that the mutated contagious form has now found its way back to China?
This discussion has been closed.