Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get well soon, Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Any particular reason why school teachers can't work through July and August this year?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

I think I just heard Ydoethur and every other secondary school teacher scream.

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

So I might be able to teach 12 and 10.

What happens to 7, 8 and 9?
    It sounded like all they are thinking about is a transition day or something. This idea of ‘seeing’ their teacher is nonsensical; likely a hastily changed sentence to replace something that fell apart during the talks with unions.

By the end of June it’s just assemblies (not going to happen), prizegiving (not going to happen), sports days (not going to happen) and concerts (not going to happen) anyway.

Quite embarrassing, really. If they are this confused over education it makes you question everything else. If they just want to let them see their mates they should have just said that.
    Your school sounds more relaxed than mine. I asked when I first arrived what the programme was for the end of term, and got the answer, ‘the same as every other week until the very last day.’

And it is.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Was it just on BBC 1 that the sound was poorly synchronised to the picture and there was a strange, waxy appearance to Boris? Almost as though there was some augmented reality being applied.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

His breathing was much better

Yes. I thought he did well.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:

What a lot of vacuous rubbish. That could all have been said in a tweet.

That's rubbish, twitter tells you that people are not responsible enough or smart enough to understand the slogan or taking any form of personal resonsibility. It needed the excellent speech and explanation from Boris. That was pretty clear and the alert system is a great idea. If people don't understand 'stay alert' and the words that came with it they now have zero excuse after watching that.
    Basically what he said was that you can now exercise more than once a day, and return to work if you can’t work from home.

That’s one tweet.
    Well we have always been allowed to exercise more than once per day
    Have we? That certainly wasn’t my understanding. Admittedly the wording ‘one form of exercise a day’ is slightly ambiguous.
    The SI is clear. You were allowed to go out "to take exercise". No mention of frequency. In England.
    And even Gove who framed the govt advice said do what you normally do. If walking is considered exercise that majority of the country normally exercised more than once per day anyway. So I dont think it was even against the advice let alone the law.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,820

There was no mention of when shielded oldies can come out of hiding.

2022 is my assumption
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited May 2020

Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.

Come on CHB, can't you for once, just once, take off the Party glasses?
    Nothing has changed for me. Perhaps for other people - but not for me.
    I’m the same. I am still confined to a small house with my now ex-girlfriend with no possibility of escape in the near future.
    I know somebody whose wife told him, 2 days before the shit hit the fan, that she wanted a divorce. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn of a desperate end. Apparently doesn’t matter though.

I’m sure it’s similar, though hopefully not as intense, for you.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    IshmaelZ said:

Good point from sks about 12 hour notice about going to work tomorrow but we have to wait till Wednesday for sunbathing

That is presumably because sunbathing requires a change in the regulations but going to work is already allowed.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,882

"Anyone who can't work from home should return to work. Unless you go on the bus. Or work in hospitality. Or work in a shop."

or have children
    Is Boris advising you to have children????
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    MikeL said:

Blindingly obvious each company will have to 1) take decision to reopen, then 2) make arrangements, then 3) inform staff.

Any idiot would realise companies aren't just going to be expecting to see their employees at 9am tomorrow morning.

It's either childish by Starmer or he is very, very stupid indeed.

Should have kept quiet if he hasn't anything sensible to say, agree he looks stupid.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.

Then good yours didn't need to change then. You're able to go to the office now if you need to do so, and if you don't need to do so then what are you bothered about?
    Can't see some of my family or my friends - and I feel as isolated and lonely as I was before.
    You'll always have PB.
  • Options
    The zillions of questions below give you an indication of how unclear it all is. And this is a bright sight.

What Boris set out in terms of the R number was pretty nuanced but very good, and will go straight over most people's heads.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

LOL. People have been asking for a road plan of how we come out of lockdown and now he has provided one you are moaning that nothing has changed.

Of course nothing much has changed. Change depends on getting the virus under control. This was all about letting people know that life will slowly begin to return to some sort of new normal. As such it served its purpose very well.

I am seeing far too much wilful ignorance on here from those determined not to agree with anything Johnson says.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

I kind of think you are missing the point of what he said.

The plan is that IF things are still improving then Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 might go back.

That was it.

He said something vague about giving Years 10 and 12 some face to face time with teachers but was clear that nothing else would happen until it was safe to do so.

So the short answer is that in all likelihood the earliest years 7,8 and 9 will go back is September.

And it is worth saying I think that no one in their right mind would criticise you or any other teacher for saying no if they feel they are being put at risk. But that was not the impression I got from the statement.

Yes, but my point is that if I have to go back into school, I will have to give up providing online lessons. So it’s fine to provide lessons face to face OR online, but it can’t be both.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    MaxPB said:

This is why it was worth waiting for the actual speech. Nothing in that was controversial and it was very clear that if the infection rate starts to rise then we're back to "stay home".

It's a bit of a shot in the dark but it doesn't look like anything announced will have a huge increase in the R, if that turns out to be the case it will seem like a good move, if not we revert and people have their answer as to why we can't end the current lockdown measures.

July for pubs reopening though. 😢

I thought the was pretty good too. I particularly liked the subtle message to the numpties - you piss about and behave irresponsibly and we are all back in quarantine instead of moving on to phase 3.

Quite clever to focus people on blaming the Covidiots if we end up with tougher regulations again. It's also an attempt to get the government off the hook. Good politics if nothing else.
  • Options
    Johnson said there will be a statement in the house tomorrow.

Didn't the Chancellor get rebuked by the speaker for declaring information on the daily briefing when he should have informed the house first?

Maybe there will be further information tomorrow after the statement to the house
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    edited May 2020
    This is the elephant in the room: the government clearly want folk back at work, except for in certain areas e.g. pubs, restaurants, retail etc. But what isn`t clear is how fast the furlough payments stop when they do. It sounded to me like "should" go back to work still implies choice. If it is a choice between 1) going back to work and losing furlough to be replaced by wages again, or 2) staying at home and continuing draw 80% from the government, then why go back to work?

• Options
    And I bet you right here and now that fewer than 1% of the country have any idea what the word 'exponentially' means ...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

It's blindingly obvious that workers aren't going to be expected to arrange new travel plans by tomorrow morning.

This is cheap, childish criticism for the sake of it.

Then - how do they get to work?
    They WAIT to be informed by their employer of any arrangements.

If employer reopens, they then go to work IF THEY CAN - by walking, cycling or car.

If they can't get to work they'll have to inform their employer.

It's pretty simple and obvious really.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    MikeL said:

What is Starmer suggesting?

Scrap devolution?

It's in the nature of devolution that dissolved authorities may take different approach.

Especially when they are shit-scared of having to explain to voters why they have worse outcomes than England.
  • Options
    My comments were not from a partisan POV on purpose, I was stating that nothing has changed for me. I'm not trying to be all "me me me" as I know others are in a similar boat but I feel lonely and isolated and that hasn't changed.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

TGOHF666 said:

Sir Keith “ The voters are too stupid to understand this “ on BBC.

The left never learn.

Just out of interest, why do you seem to find it hilarious to refer to the LOTO as Sir Keith?

Scrub that, I think I already know the answer
    I don't. Sir Keith Joseph?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    BigRich said:

Good that we now all have an ounce more freedom and some more will retern to work soon, but, overall dismayed at the announcement.

with only 16,000 or whatever it is getting infected a day and R at or near 1, we are not going to any closer to 'heard immunity' any time soon, there for, R is not going to drop in any meaning full way, so we are now stuck at this level, until, we have a vaccine, (maybe that should be if we ever get a vaccine)

If you think we're going to stay at this level once the lockdown goes, you're being wildly optimistic.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,039
    MikeL said:

Blindingly obvious each company will have to 1) take decision to reopen, then 2) make arrangements, then 3) inform staff.

Any idiot would realise companies aren't just going to be expecting to see their employees at 9am tomorrow morning.

It's either childish by Starmer or he is very, very stupid indeed.

Its blindingly obvious to people who have a connection to how most people work.

Which may rule out Starmer and certainly rules out some PBers.
  • Options

The zillions of questions below give you an indication of how unclear it all is. And this is a bright sight.

What Boris set out in terms of the R number was pretty nuanced but very good, and will go straight over most people's heads.

Alternatively, and I throw this out as a remote possibility, it’s because it was waffly horseshit and unclear because of that.
  • Options

Wasn't anybody on the vulnerable list told 12 weeks at least at the very beginning?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Johnson said there will be a statement in the house tomorrow.

Didn't the Chancellor get rebuked by the speaker for declaring information on the daily briefing when he should have informed the house first?

Maybe there will be further information tomorrow after the statement to the house

There should/will be a 50 page plan available for download tomorrow, probably on gov.uk
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,070
    I have seen a woman sunbathing in a secluded corner of the Botanic Garden in Edinburgh (sheltered from the wind).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Not sure what people wanted? A 2hr Chris Witty style powerpoint lecture?

The point was to give a broad overview. IMO it was fine, but nothing more. The details will come tomorrow, that is the test if if they have thought things through.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Nothing different for me, still using public transport (there is no more than 5 of us so we do distance anyway) for going to work. I was looking out for any changes on face coverings, but unless I missed it there was no mention.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

It's blindingly obvious that workers aren't going to be expected to arrange new travel plans by tomorrow morning.

If employer reopens, they then go to work IF THEY CAN - by walking, cycling or car.

And then what? If they can’t get in, do they get paid? If not, do they get furloughed?
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Any particular reason why school teachers can't work through July and August this year?

Yes. We will have taught our contracted amount of days for the current school year, I suppose they could offer extra pay pro rata but that will cost heavily.
  • Options
    blairfblairf Posts: 98
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

So social distancing is going to be maintained on public transport but everyone who can't work from home is encouraged to go into work.

How does that work?

Drive.
    only 17% of people in work use public transport to get there (5% train, 4% tube, 8% bus). people really need to get out london more.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Well I’m going to miss the local bar reopening tomorrow, space for one more I suppose!
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Well I’m depressed. The only important thing is being able to see other households. The rest is meaningless.

This. I don't particularly care about when I can next go to the pub, nice although that will be. I couldn't care less what they do with the primary school kids, although that's economically probably quite important.

I live alone, although I'm working that is largely on my own. Normally I'm an exceptionally social creature, and spend a lot of time around other people, and I struggle with my own company. I'm starting to actually worry that I am becoming mentally deranged after nearly two months almost without human contact.

Just to add insult to injury, I've a young lady I'm getting quite fond of who happens to be 150 miles away. Long distance relationships aren't particularly easy at the best of times (our first proper date I drove for 6 hours for 2.5 hours together) - and for all that one can video call and so on (It's amazing the board games one can play by video call) I've now not seen her for over two months, and that's getting beyond frustrating, particularly with no hint of an end date in sight.

To add insult to injury, I'm in a very low risk group who probably should be catching it (I think eradication is almost certainly impossible, particularly in the long term, and throwing all our eggs in the vaccine basket is madness) - frankly if I got the option to be knowingly infected, sit at home feeling grim for three weeks and then in return be free, I'd take that tomorrow - it would be well worth the risk (and if we actually did it like that, it would mean no risk of my accidentally infecting anyone vulnerable, which is the only possible reason for me being locked down at the moment).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SKS also picking up on how to get to work with public transport social distance-compliant.

Limited capacity at train stations, social distancing queues to get onto the platform and a full schedule.
    Are the unions on board?

(Boom boom.)
    SWT

A, explain that trains cannot run without a guard to protect the passengers. Strike.

B. Explain that trains cannot run as the guard will not be safe from the passengers. Strike.

C. Profit.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Then good yours didn't need to change then. You're able to go to the office now if you need to do so, and if you don't need to do so then what are you bothered about?
    Can't see some of my family or my friends - and I feel as isolated and lonely as I was before.
    They've deemed it not safe to change that yet.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A thread by a reasonably detached tweeter:

https://twitter.com/gilesyb/status/1259547210418720770?s=21
  • Options
    MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

My employer issued a notice last week saying that working arrangements remain unchanged from 11 May. But then they're a Government Department so may have had some sort of tip off.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited May 2020
    A pretty underwhelming statement, hedged about with so many caveats that contained little specific about what happens next. Fudge and mudge.

The few Consessions were things people are widely doing already as gaps in the existing rules
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Wasn't anybody on the vulnerable list told 12 weeks at least at the very beginning?
    Yes, but in the "roadmap", i think it was the clear what the direction for kids and working adults is, but not a mention if in another 5 weeks oldies can come out or is it also dependent on Mr R.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

The BBC reports it like this:
    He says he wants it to be safe for those employees, so calls on people to “avoid public transport if at all possible”, adding: “We must and will maintain social distancing, and capacity will therefore be limited.”
    The PM says: “So, work from home if you can, but you should go to work if you can’t work from home.”

That seems to mean avoid public transport IF YOU CAN, but you should go to work.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

LOL. People have been asking for a road plan of how we come out of lockdown and now he has provided one you are moaning that nothing has changed.

Of course nothing much has changed. Change depends on getting the virus under control. This was all about letting people know that life will slowly begin to return to some sort of new normal. As such it served its purpose very well.

I am seeing far too much wilful ignorance on here from those determined not to agree with anything Johnson says.
    I think that's true. It gave a roadmap. Which is what people wanted.

There are some logical inconsistencies though, such as the transport thing to get all these people back to work. Plus, reading @ydoethur, the practicalities of some year groups going back to school.

But yes overall not a bad performance.

Still bloody love the "there are five levels and we're on level 3.5" (h/t @RochdalePioneers)
  • Options
    In Berlin normal retail shops are open again. Is that in today's UK relaxation plan?
  • Options

Yes so like I said I feel as isolated and lonely as I was before, hope you're not in the same boat.
  • Options

Apologies if I missed it as I was slightly distracted, the PM didn't mention anything about face coverings/masks did he?

No which is a terrible mistake.

Hong Kong. 7.5 million people as densely populated as anywhere on the planet. Compulsory face masks. 5 deaths.
    Are masks sufficiently readily available for the government to recommend using them? I don't think so but I could be wrong. We wear masks but a lot of people I talk to say they can't get hold of them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

The plan is that IF things are still improving then Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 might go back.

That was it.

He said something vague about giving Years 10 and 12 some face to face time with teachers but was clear that nothing else would happen until it was safe to do so.

So the short answer is that in all likelihood the earliest years 7,8 and 9 will go back is September.

And it is worth saying I think that no one in their right mind would criticise you or any other teacher for saying no if they feel they are being put at risk. But that was not the impression I got from the statement.

Yes, but my point is that if I have to go back into school, I will have to give up providing online lessons. So it’s fine to provide lessons face to face OR online, but it can’t be both.
    I do understand that but to be honest that was always going to be the case. Unless you are suggesting that everyone should stay off school until everyone can go back which I don't think would be viable either.

This is one of those rock and a hard place issues.

But to repeat, when it comes to your own health, you have to do what is best for you.

Serious question. Is it practical to have a situation where those teachers who are at risk can continue to teach remotely serving the children who are not being allowed back but those who are in low risk categories can return to teach those who are in the back to school category?

I realise it means students having different teachers to normal but the basic question is whether that is practical in most large schools?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ukpaul said:

Yes. We will have taught our contracted amount of days for the current school year, I suppose they could offer extra pay pro rata but that will cost heavily.
    That won’t necessarily be true in the state sector depending on how they approached opening for key workers although I can see it might be a problem in the private sector.

I think in your case the really bad news is this 14 day quarantine. That immediately epically buggers any private school that relies on overseas students.

My concern about working would be that given how brutal the autumn term is anyway it would require a three week holiday at the end of September.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

It sounded like all they are thinking about is a transition day or something. This idea of ‘seeing’ their teacher is nonsensical; likely a hastily changed sentence to replace something that fell apart during the talks with unions.

By the end of June it’s just assemblies (not going to happen), prizegiving (not going to happen), sports days (not going to happen) and concerts (not going to happen) anyway.

Quite embarrassing, really. If they are this confused over education it makes you question everything else. If they just want to let them see their mates they should have just said that.
    Your school sounds more relaxed than mine. I asked when I first arrived what the programme was for the end of term, and got the answer, ‘the same as every other week until the very last day.’

And it is.
    When do you break up? Start of July for us.

Every school I’ve taught in has wound down for the last couple of weeks, that sounds harsh on students to not have those extras. Not even sports days?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,279

I have seen a woman sunbathing in a secluded corner of the Botanic Garden in Edinburgh (sheltered from the wind).
    Someone has sent me a link to this wonderful site.

https://taps-aff.co.uk/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

A well-trailed speech that in the end contained no real surprises:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-10-may-2020

I don't quite see why Boris Johnson had to make such a point of referring to himself as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. We know he is but devolution exists whether he likes it or not and if you are going to meaningfully devolve powers there has to be a recognition of that.

That grated slightly but the rest of it, while predictably long on platitudes and short on specifics, was the traditional paternalist guff:

"You've done well so far. If you stay good, you'll get some of your toys back in June but if you're naughty, you won't".

Will the BHA construe from that horse racing can resume? Probably not - they may await dome meat on the bones tomorrow.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

In Berlin normal retail shops are open again. Is that in today's UK relaxation plan?

I believe they said June, depending on Mr R.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

"Some face time with next year's GCSE candidates" is hardly going to be full time. So when you're not talking to them, why can't you continue to offer online lessons?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

And then what? If they can’t get in, do they get paid? If not, do they get furloughed?
    No mention of any change to furlough.

So no reason to think employer can't keep them on furlough if they wish.
  • Options

It night be unpolitic to suggest it but isn't it the case that vast numbers of people have no interest in the detail and nuance. They just want a set of instructions that they can either obey or ignore depending on their own mindset.

I though that on that basis most of the points were pretty clear.

• Options
    OllyT said:

Apologies if I missed it as I was slightly distracted, the PM didn't mention anything about face coverings/masks did he?

Hong Kong. 7.5 million people as densely populated as anywhere on the planet. Compulsory face masks. 5 deaths.
    Are masks sufficiently readily available for the government to recommend using them? I don't think so but I could be wrong. We wear masks but a lot of people I talk to say they can't get hold of them.
    No and I think that's the real reason they aren't pushing them.
  • Options

Its not particularly logical. You could have a household of 10 working in 5 separate locations who are all allowed to interact.

Yet boyfriend and girlfriend living separately on their own and not going to work are supposed to not see each other for at least another 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

This is the elephant in the room: the government clearly want folk back at work, except for in certain areas e.g. pubs, restaurants, retail etc. But what isn`t clear is how fast the furlough payments stop when they do. It sounded to me like "should" go back to work still implies choice. If it is a choice between 1) going back to work and losing furlough to be replaced by wages again, or 2) staying at home and continuing draw 80% from the government, then why go back to work?

For a lot of people 20% of their wages will be the difference between surviving and not surviving
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited May 2020
    matt said:

I’m the same. I am still confined to a small house with my now ex-girlfriend with no possibility of escape in the near future.
    I know somebody whose wife told him, 2 days before the shit hit the fan, that she wanted a divorce. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn of a desperate end. Apparently doesn’t matter though.

I’m sure it’s similar, though hopefully not as intense, for you.
    Cuts both ways.

I had a friend ask me for accommodation on 20th March as he needed to move out after 5 years.

Nothing available, so they stayed put, and now seem to be back together.
  • Options
    Facebook will be interesting for the next couple of days. There are a lot of people fully signed up to Stay Home, Save Lives
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Hold on - the Y axis on that graph isn't R. It is either infection rate or death rate.

But not labelled.

So it actually illustrates a constant R going forward.

Very misleading.
  • Options
    Another person who appears to have had a lobotomy. It is now standard criticism from those who don't like Boris to cry confusion. There was nothing in there an 11 year old wouldn't have understood.
  • Options

Its not particularly logical. You could have a household of 10 working in 5 separate locations who are all allowed to interact.

Yet boyfriend and girlfriend living separately on their own and not going to work are supposed to not see each other for at least another 3 weeks.
    As a single bloke who lives on his own, I have no sympathy
  • Options

Going in to work you're supposed to socially distance still.

Are you suggesting boyfriend and girlfriend living separately should see each other and socially distance while seeing each other? Interesting thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

I do understand that but to be honest that was always going to be the case. Unless you are suggesting that everyone should stay off school until everyone can go back which I don't think would be viable either.

This is one of those rock and a hard place issues.

But to repeat, when it comes to your own health, you have to do what is best for you.

Serious question. Is it practical to have a situation where those teachers who are at risk can continue to teach remotely serving the children who are not being allowed back but those who are in low risk categories can return to teach those who are in the back to school category?

I realise it means students having different teachers to normal but the basic question is whether that is practical in most large schools?
    It’s a reasonable question. In large schools it might be possible. In smaller ones where you might have only one specialist teacher in some subjects (e.g. Physics) possibly not. It would work for my subject, for example, as I could, now I think about your suggestion, hand over my 7, 8, 9, to another teacher and pick up their 10 and 12 myself. It wouldn’t work for Geography or Economics and Business because the only specialist teachers are all in vulnerable categories.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    IanB2 said:

A pretty underwhelming statement, hedged about with so many caveats that contained little specific about what happens next. Fudge and mudge.

I think he made the best of a bucketkload of shit.....which isn't very much....

Just think in another universe, if he had locked down 2 weeks earlier, quarantined incomers and kept up track and trace...he could now be basking in Churchill like eulogies.....

Instead he is ploughing through the shyte that his Govt has created.....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,199

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTdd8QxifbY
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

Chin up. From what I can see if you are in England you are free to almost do as you please.

I never thought this time yesterday that in all but name it would be over by tonight in England.

Johnson is a lucky politician. I hope for all our sakes that remains the case,. Today will be Johnson's defining moment, I believe he has taken a massive
    gamble. If he has got it wrong many people will die unnecessarily.

I am shellshocked at how quickly he has moved.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    All these supposedly smart commentators are being shown by Covid to be thick as pig shit. One wonders why anybody gives them a public platform.....
  • Options

Another person who appears to have had a lobotomy. It is now standard criticism from those who don't like Boris to cry confusion. There was nothing in there an 11 year old wouldn't have understood.
    It was pitched more like a parent talking to a 7 year old to be honest.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

They are available on amazon so people not trying very hard if they cant get hold of them.

Id expect they get a mention tomorrow as the detail comes out - maybe recommended on public transport is in line with whats been said.

WHO still hold to their line of not needed.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

And it is.

Every school I’ve taught in has wound down for the last couple of weeks, that sounds harsh on students to not have those extras. Not even sports days?
    Mid July. And yes, it is hard.

We do have sports days, but they tend to be more stressful and hard work than fifty year 13 lessons on the Earl of Warwick’s inheritance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    TOPPING said:

SKS also picking up on how to get to work with public transport social distance-compliant.

Yes - it's Tebbit all over again. "Get on your bike".

Same old Tories.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

"Some face time with next year's GCSE candidates" is hardly going to be full time. So when you're not talking to them, why can't you continue to offer online lessons?
    Because I won’t have access to the necessary tech!
  • Options

I relay - it’s not particularly my view.

My view was summed up by @Ishmael_Z above, it was a nothingburger. It was essentially a string of decisions yet to be taken and a few gewgaws now that make no real difference, save perhaps the one about going back to work which was so hedged it is unclear how directional the government intends to be (presumably because it doesn’t know).
  • Options

OllyT said:

No and I think that's the real reason they aren't pushing them.
    That and the fact they kept telling us they were no use.
  • Options
    stodge said:

It was pitched more like a parent talking to a 7 year old to be honest.
    It was hardly stirring Churchill....it wasn't as sophisticated language....maybe the public were just smarter in the 1940s.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Beth Rigby informs us that it's okay to swim in a pond.

I have a rucksack full of bricks if she wants to start soon.
    Kill traitorous media - all power to the Dom Boris soviets
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

Why not?

Unless the government provided the relevant tech at the start of the lockdown I don't see how its any different now.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited May 2020
    MikeL said:

Disingenuous by Starmer.

I think people who've put their hopes in SKS as Labour leader are going to be badly disappointed.

He's a decent second fiddle but Johnson is a better conductor.
  • Options

Going in to work you're supposed to socially distance still.

Are you suggesting boyfriend and girlfriend living separately should see each other and socially distance while seeing each other? Interesting thought.
    No Im stating that two households of single people combined are far smaller than many households. They should be allowed to see each other as they please.

Of course if you are a govt adviser you can just break the laws without any risk of enforcement.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Johnson looking and sounding fully fit there. So this Header is probably redundant.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

Why not?

Unless the government provided the relevant tech at the start of the lockdown I don't see how its any different now.
    Because it’s at home, and I will be in school.

(And no, it doesn’t work on the school’s computers.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,334
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

And it is.

We do have sports days, but they tend to be more stressful and hard work than fifty year 13 lessons on the Earl of Warwick’s inheritance.
    That seems an excessive amount of time devoted to one topic.

Large inheritance though, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Facebook will be interesting for the next couple of days. There are a lot of people fully signed up to Stay Home, Save Lives

There was a very well argued comment on this theme in The Times yesterday which I’m going to reproduce because it was significantly more convincing and coherent than the writing of many expert commentators. (iv) in particular goes to your point.

“People are content to passionately defend lockdown because:

(i) they’re scared, the government and media have propagandised Covid-19 as an “equal opportunities killer” to such an extent that you can see fear on people’s faces when in the supermarkets. It’s nonsense.

(ii) there’s no pain, yet. People work from home, have a public sector income or pension or are furloughed. The carnage is coming and then the population will realise the price they are already committed to paying.

(iii) no one cares about non-Covid victims of this crisis. The several thousand non-Covid excess deaths, the crisis of non-Covid deaths in care homes, the silent misery of domestic violence. It’s all hidden, buried in data or behind locked down doors.

and (iv) they’re invested. This has provided purpose and meaning to a lot of people “stay home, protect the NHS, save lives”, snitching on the neighbours, clapping for the NHS, judging the joggers, seeing more control over other people. What if all of this was a charade and made barely any difference to the transmission of the disease and death toll?

All of which is why there is going to be a tough rearguard action from committed lockdowners who will continue to accuse everyone else of callousness, framing the decisions as a false dichotomy of life vs the economy whilst denying their lockdown is having material side effects when we can see it quite clearly is by reference to the ONS mortality data“
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

That won’t necessarily be true in the state sector depending on how they approached opening for key workers although I can see it might be a problem in the private sector.

I think in your case the really bad news is this 14 day quarantine. That immediately epically buggers any private school that relies on overseas students.

My concern about working would be that given how brutal the autumn term is anyway it would require a three week holiday at the end of September.
    We’re told that there is still a high level of interest from overseas but the reality I fear will be much different. One of ours who returned hime took nearly a month to get out of two separate quarantines! They haven’t messed about in Asia like we’ve done.

The phrase was ‘some time with their teachers’, which most schools will take as being very limited, probably with a skeleton staff for a day or two.

So September it is.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Will the hordes from Wales be stopped on The M4 bridge as they attempt to visit England?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I would assume because furlough is the choice of the company not the individual workers. So if a company decides that some of its staff can return then they would no longer have the choice of furlough. Ity is exactly how things were done when furlough started with many companies sending a percentage of their workforce home but keeping the rest working.
  • Options
    It clear the PM has no confidence at all in the app.

Virtually no mention of test track and trace or technology which would be right up his street.
  • Options

Chin up. From what I can see if you are in England you are free to almost do as you please.

I never thought this time yesterday that in all but name it would be over by tonight in England.

Johnson is a lucky politician. I hope for all our sakes that remains the case,. Today will be Johnson's defining moment, I believe he has taken a massive
    gamble. If he has got it wrong many people will die unnecessarily.

I am shellshocked at how quickly he has moved.

You must have listened to a very different speech to me. Perhaps you should read it:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-10-may-2020

The big issue is going to be the inability of a public transport system to manage social distancing. If construction sites are re-opening that will immediately have an impact on passenger numbers on the Underground in London but presumably people will just get on what tubes that are running and hope for the best.

• Options

I relay - it’s not particularly my view.

My view was summed up by @Ishmael_Z above, it was a nothingburger. It was essentially a string of decisions yet to be taken and a few gewgaws now that make no real difference, save perhaps the one about going back to work which was so hedged it is unclear how directional the government intends to be (presumably because it doesn’t know).
    I wasn't saying it was. I was saying it is standard criticism by public figures who don't like Boris.

They always go but but but this is far too confusing for the public to understand. They said the same at the start of the lockdown and the public showed they understood.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

And it is.

That seems an excessive amount of time devoted to one topic.

Large inheritance though, I suppose.
    You don’t control half of England and large chunks of Wales without causing massive confusion.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Stocky said:

For a lot of people 20% of their wages will be the difference between surviving and not surviving
    Possibly for some, but not many I suspect. I had a month on furlough. The combination of the tax saving and the huge savings from communing costs meant I made a net profit.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

And get paid while doing it
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

That was it.

What do you need? If it's really a problem, have a couple of days in school and the rest WFH.
This discussion has been closed.