Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get well soon, Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Allex2312 said:

I think the debate today has shown that people who say 'treat us like adults', can't be treated by adults. A practical change that is coming for me is my office has been redesigned to reduce the number of desks to allow distancing. In my area we're going from 18 desks to 3. Most people who can work from home will continue to do so, but those who have been struggling with IT or live in shared homes that are difficult to work in now have a different option. This is now not a blanket 'stay home', nuance is needed. Unfortunately some people can't cope with that.

Interested how they got from 18 desks to 3? Thats a bigger reduction than would seem needed to be 2m apart?
    we're finding that it all transforms as more than the square. So 2m apart in a lecture theatre knocks out 8 seats per student.
    I was not a good university student but are lecture theatres actually needed any more? Cant those be delivered remotely and more time given to teacher-student contact in smaller groups?

Saves a whole load of time for lecturers as it can be re-used for multiple courses, allows students choice of when to do the lecture and saves on space too.
    Interaction during a lecture helps a lot with the learning process.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    eristdoof said:

It must be getting close to 7 pm. I can almost scent the aroma of bulls***.

Lockdown doesn't mean you musn't flush.
    I live in the country and we have cattle in the field behind the house so I am used to it. For some strange reason the aroma radiates from the TV whenever a Minister is on.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

I think the debate today has shown that people who say 'treat us like adults', can't be treated by adults. A practical change that is coming for me is my office has been redesigned to reduce the number of desks to allow distancing. In my area we're going from 18 desks to 3. Most people who can work from home will continue to do so, but those who have been struggling with IT or live in shared homes that are difficult to work in now have a different option. This is now not a blanket 'stay home', nuance is needed. Unfortunately some people can't cope with that.

Interested how they got from 18 desks to 3? Thats a bigger reduction than would seem needed to be 2m apart?
    we're finding that it all transforms as more than the square. So 2m apart in a lecture theatre knocks out 8 seats per student.
    I was not a good university student but are lecture theatres actually needed any more? Cant those be delivered remotely and more time given to teacher-student contact in smaller groups?

Saves a whole load of time for lecturers as it can be re-used for multiple courses, allows students choice of when to do the lecture and saves on space too.
    But if there are 30 people attending, how many are going to actually interact in a meaningful way in an hours lecture? The lecturer plus 2 or 3 student? Over half the group wont say anything all year in that size of lecture?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    eristdoof said:

malcolmg said:

You fair like Agent Pish and their bollox tweets.
    What's the "R" in Scotland, Malc?
    It's a rolled R.
    A "grrrrr" in Malc`s case
  • Options

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

But if there are 30 people attending, how many are going to actually interact in a meaningful way in an hours lecture? The lecturer plus 2 or 3 student? Over half the group wont say anything all year in that size of lecture?
    Quizzes with clickers, group activities/discussion etc. The old format of a lecturer just reeling off slide after slide is dying.
  • Options

If all that`s announced is a reiteration of what we are supposed to be doing anyway + garden centres I`m not going to be happy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited May 2020
    From https://academic.oup.com/jtm/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jtm/taaa033/5803291 I found...

According to the simply approximated formula that R0 = exp(γ⋅SI)

γ as computed earlier was -0.05 (r^2 of 0.98 based on deaths) and the SI they worked out in the paper as 7.5 days, and with the serial interval of 7.5 days, and assuming english hospital deaths are homogenous, that yields an overall Rt for the UK of 0.68 since lockdown to approx 25 days ago.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

Quizzes with clickers, group activities/discussion etc. The old format of a lecturer just reeling off slide after slide is dying.
    Good - along with alcohol it was the main reason I wasnt a good university student!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Stocky said:

If all that`s announced is a reiteration of what we are supposed to be doing anyway + garden centres I`m not going to be happy.
    What would make you happy?
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    what is the point of the aerial camera on sky news?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    16,000 cases each day. Beth has been told by a government source.

Want it below 4k
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Stocky said:

Get ready to be disappointed...!!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

It really does depend on the style of the lecture. We've moved on a lot from a lecture consisting of a lecturer writing on the board, and the students trying to keep pace with the getting it all down on paper.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Want it below 4k

28 days at the current rate of halving.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

eek said:

John Rentoul who had to shamefacedly admit that English PPE companies had made garbled and conflicting statements about only supplying England? Cast iron, solid source on such matters.
    More Nat Onal grievancology.....

John Rentoul who had to shamefacedly admit that English PPE companies had made garbled and conflicting statements about only supplying England? Cast iron, solid source on such matters.
    More Nat Onal grievanceology.....
    I've no wish to set you Natonanists off again but you should probably have a word with Johnny about his grievanceology.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1250410931206721536?s=20
    You still think PHE* strategic stocks should have been sent to Scotland?

Entitled, much?

*E = "England"

You can hardly complain about unreliable journalists, then post one in your defence!
    Question does such I think as Public Health Scotland or equivalent exist? and if it does, does it report to the a) Scottish Government or b) Public Health England

As the answer to the first question is Yes, and the answer to the supplicant question is a, why was Public Health England supposed to be supplying PHS rather than PHE's own regions.
    Health is devolved. Power, money and responsibility lie in Edinburgh. But some prefer to evade responsibility and blame England "Westminster" when things go wrong in Scotland.

Westminster is not responsible for Scottish Health, Education or Policing, for example.
    Not quite, Edinburgh is responsible for Health, Education and Policing up to the point when the questions get awkward then things move on to attacking Westminster and the need for independence.

What gets me is that 45% of the population vote SNP, mind you the other candidates are probably worse.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,299

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1259531284096917504?s=20

The issue is there are several "R"s.

In the community its probably comfortably below 1, in Hospitals and most of all Care Homes its probably close to or above 1 - so unless both of those are got and kept under control it risks spilling back out into the community and a second peak.

Scotland and Wales have a Care Home problem (or possibly know they have one, England's is either improving or out of control under the radar) that so far may not yet be under control.

And if its like the Spanish flu, the second wave went after the young and healthy.

If only the government knew its Rs from its elbows.
    Did somebody say ELBOW?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

I must have missed that bit. Most of my lectures just involved copying notes from the OHP.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226
    They'd better update the SI if we can go out. I know he thinks that "what I say" is the law, but it isn't. Would be unfortunate if people got lifted for doing what he said...
  • Options

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

I must have missed that bit. Most of my lectures just involved copying notes from the OHP.
    Yeah, that is how it was done for me, too. But times are changing!
  • Options

Stocky said:

What would make you happy?
    Visits to family so I can visit my dad who is elderly and home on his own 20 miles from me. Minimum requirement. Plus a pathway to ease us out of lockdown and an end date for financial support.
  • Options
    LIVE: Boris has found a Hair Brush
  • Options
    He still doesn’t look well
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Alistair’s right, he does look haggard.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    edited May 2020

Want it below 4k

25 cases in each UK constituency on average.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    ydoethur said:

Alistair’s right, he does look haggard.

My friend who also had Covid-19 has said it is like being in a perpetual hangover whilst playing a game of rugby.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MrsT: "You know its serious as he's brushed his hair"
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Allex2312 said:

Most importantly its easier to learn when actually interacting rather than just listening.
    Almost all of the suggestions in your post are being considered but it is very naive to think lectures have no place. Very naive.

There are also significant issues with online only delivery that I think are generally under-rated. We do get to know our students in a lecture delivery and they get to know you.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020

That fits with a crude calculation I did: couple of studies a while back showed mass testing catches ~45% of those with symptoms, then maybe double that for asymptomatic. On today's figures, that makes for 18k, but tests are a few days later than infections.
  • Options
    LIVE: Its a conditional plan. If you fuck it up I'll blame you/Matt Hancock when you stay locked down
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

It really does depend on the style of the lecture. We've moved on a lot from a lecture consisting of a lecturer writing on the board, and the students trying to keep pace with the getting it all down on paper.
    All aboard the WELL QUITE roadshow.

and there are wonderful tools to facilitate interaction and engagement.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    This is straight out of the Theresa May playbook of pointless non-announcements.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He’s changed the fifth test again.
  • Options
    Hang on. Five alert levels and we're moving to Level 3.5? WTF? Then its not 5 levels is it moron
  • Options

Hang on. Five alert levels and we're moving to Level 3.5? WTF? Then its not 5 levels is it moron

Pedant mode on?
  • Options

What is it now?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Can we take it that eradication is now the aim? If so, lockdown needs to be strengthened not relaxed.
  • Options

What is it now?
    R mustn’t go back above 1.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

They'd better update the SI if we can go out. I know he thinks that "what I say" is the law, but it isn't. Would be unfortunate if people got lifted for doing what he said...

Exactly. That's the key. If the SI doesn't change it's all guff.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Isn't this a bit advanced for the general public?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    tlg86 said:

This is straight out of the Theresa May playbook of pointless non-announcements.

"Now is not the time."
  • Options
    Mrs P weeing herself at "so much bullshit" as he pulls out silly graphics
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Allex2312 said:

Sadly not quick enough, but we're getting there.
  • Options

What is it now?
    R mustn’t go back above 1.
    Thanks.
  • Options

LOL
  • Options
    "Nothing has changed."
  • Options

There are worst things Boris Johnson could have pulled out.

Fnarr.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Sitting on benches is okay from Wednesday. (Not a phrase I ever thought I'd write).
  • Options

"Nothing has changed."

He's literally describing how things have changed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Suggests it will have been changed by end of Tuesday if we can drive places and face more fines
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065

"Nothing has changed."

To be fair, Theresa May didn't do Powerpoint.
  • Options
    I think I just heard Ydoethur and every other secondary school teacher scream.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

So what's changed for me then? Anything? Nope, thought not.
  • Options

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

You can now go outside more often for exercise, for example.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I don’t like the sound of these larger fines...
  • Options
    Only air. So can I drive to Spain after all then?
  • Options
    Quarantine only for arrivals by air - Ferries? Eurostar?
  • Options

Dave's sister in law tweets on this subject

https://twitter.com/emilysheffield/status/1259546445197303808
  • Options
    A bit depressing to hear a PM say use your car instead of public transport.
  • Options
    This is the 21st century equivalent of a modern suit and a yellow background.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Suggests it will have been changed by end of Tuesday if we can drive places and face more fines
    It was the "with members of your household". Did it apply to all preceding activities?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited May 2020
    So you can sunbathe and play sports with your family and should go to work if you cannot WFH and work in construction, other than that a fuss about nothing and lockdown stays and no changes.

Simply sets out future steps if the public comply with the rules and quarantine for foreign visitors
  • Options
    So my daughter's probably going back to school next month. Good for her mental health and probably mine lol.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    Artist said:

Isn't this a bit advanced for the general public?

Yes, the levels of meaningless waffle are well beyond most of us.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andy_JS said:

A bit depressing to hear a PM say use your car instead of public transport.

"EU Slave States are forcing people to breathe clean air. We've Taken Back Control so that you drive your (foreign) cars wherever you like."
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

In England you could go out for exercise as many times as you wanted.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

yeah, obvious point is REALLY REALLY EFFING OBVIOUS
  • Options
    What a lot of vacuous rubbish. That could all have been said in a tweet.
  • Options
    A complete and utter waste of time.

Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

Couldn't sit on a park bench though, could you? ;)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    HYUFD said:

So you can sunbathe and play sports with your family and should go to work if you cannot WFH and work in construction, other than that a fuss about nothing and lockdown stays and no changes.

Simply sets out future steps if the public comply with the rules and quarantine for foreign visitors

Agreed
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Boris is back - good stuff - grown up - excellent communication.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. So the net take may be a muddled belief that you can sort-of end lockdown (which isn't exactly what he said).
  • Options
    Hugh "Ding Dong" Edwards just put up a Big Graphic showing that from Wednesday we can do what we can already do. Awesome.

The Sun's front page story about pubs reopening tomorrow. Whoops...
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

That wasn't what you said. You talked about exercise. But yes that is a change. No arsey plod.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Does that mean golf clubs can open?
  • Options

How would you quarantine a lorry driver bringing fresh food into the country?
  • Options

Yep I shall fly to Paris and catch Eurostar ...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sitting on benches is okay from Wednesday. (Not a phrase I ever thought I'd write).

Would that apply to Parliament? :lol:
  • Options

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

So I might be able to teach 12 and 10.

What happens to 7, 8 and 9?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good effort by Boris.

Let's see the detail in the plan tomorrow
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    I am not passing an immediate judgment on this

I wait to see and read more detail
  • Options
    Beth Rigby informs us that it's okay to swim in a pond.
  • Options

There are worst things Boris Johnson could have pulled out.

Fnarr.
    At least he's not elected dick-tator?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

Agreed
    Schools not to open until June, pubs until July at the earliest
  • Options

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. So the net take may be a muddled belief that you can sort-of end lockdown (which isn't exactly what he said).

You thought that was intellectual?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Nothing has changed."

That wasn't what you said. You talked about exercise. But yes that is a change. No arsey plod.
    Well the advice was once per day:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
  • Options

Good job but pretty intellectual and probably way above most people's heads I fear. .

Like Brexit ? The public aren’t daft - let’s not patronise them.
  • Options

A complete and utter waste of time.

Nothing has changed.

A fair bit has changed and has been outlined as changing soon if you were following the advice.
  • Options

Does that mean golf clubs can open?

Ridiculous that they had to shut anyway. Best not open the club house but providing people keep their social distancing it's always been fine. Tennis should be okay too.

Football? Hmmm ... less so.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2020
    Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    ydoethur said:

What a lot of vacuous rubbish. That could all have been said in a tweet.

That's rubbish, twitter tells you that people are not responsible enough or smart enough to understand the slogan or taking any form of personal resonsibility. It needed the excellent speech and explanation from Boris. That was pretty clear and the alert system is a great idea. If people don't understand 'stay alert' and the words that came with it they now have zero excuse after watching that.
  • Options
    This going back to work tomorrow:

Did he say what happens to furlough?
  • Options

Could have been answered in a Tweet that, instead we had an empty and pointless announcement of nothing.

As long as I am unable to leave my home for more than exercise, or go back to work in an office, life has not changed.

Come on CHB, can't you for once, just once, take off the Party glasses?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Beth Rigby informs us that it's okay to swim in a pond.

I have a rucksack full of bricks if she wants to start soon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

If I go back into school, because they don’t have the necessary tech, I can’t do that.

I'm guessing your school has a month to sort out the necessary tech. Shouldn't be the end of the world to do that with a month's notice.
  • Options
    So what the fuck does that all mean?

Just asking for my friend Beth
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Thought it was fine. It didn't r3ally say much we didn't already know, but remember most people don't follow things closely and a roadmap has been demanded.

The big one was if you cant work from home, you should go to work. Death Rigby said the government very worried that the lockdown was too successful when it came to things like construction sector.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Here is my question.

I’m teaching from home.

I'm guessing your school has a month to sort out the necessary tech. Shouldn't be the end of the world to do that with a month's notice.
    If they have the money.
This discussion has been closed.