Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The armed, Trump-backed, lockdown protestors who are helping b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The armed, Trump-backed, lockdown protestors who are helping build the profile of possible Biden VP pick, Gretchen Whitmer

The efforts to combat COVID-19 have divided America and overnight saw extraordinary scenes when hundreds of protesters, many of them armed, burst into Michigan’s state capitol to object to plans to extend the state of emergency in the state. The State’s Democratic governor, Gretchen Whitmer, has incurred the wrath of Trump for not being appreciative enough of his efforts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sounds like a good pick and a good tip.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,923
    The US is so utterly f****d.
  • Options
    FPT

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are making an assumption here that tax is all that incentivises people to forgo income.

for example
    My job my take home pay is Y, for a shelf stacker it is X
    The extra money I get paid (Y-X) incentivises me to keep in my job and not quit and become a shelf stacker.

However my job also involves unpaid overtime, stress, support rota's, longer commutes probably as most shelf stackers will live closer to work. If the value Y-X becomes small enough that I don't think the extra pay is worth all that extra angst I definitely go sod this I will go shelf stacking instead. Your progressive taxation lowers the value of Y-X as I will be paying a larger portion of tax than currently thus lowering the value of Y and possibly raising the value of X.

No, it's the other way round. The proposal I described is designed to reduce the perverse incentive not to take the increased pay, which you get at the moment because of various tax band effects (and benefits as well). At no point in the system I'm describing would you be heavily penalised for earning extra pay.
    You miss my point entirely, I am not talking about not taking extra pay I am talking about the effect on take home pay differentials let me illustrate with some figures

A earns 20k he pays currently 20% tax of 29pounds a week and takes home 332
    B earns 40k he pays currently 20% tax of 106pounds a week and takes home 529

B considers that the extra 197£ a week is reasonable compensation for the unpaid overtime , the commute costs, the stress and the support rota

under your system A now pays for example 5% and b pays 35%

A now pays tax of 7£ a week and takes home 354£
    b now pays tax of 185$ a week and takes home 450£

Now B is wondering if the 96 pounds extra is worth it for the unpaid overtime , the commute costs, the stress and the support rota
    No, your figure of 35% at £40K is far, far too high. I haven't done the full sums (and of course it could be calibrated at whatever rate the Chancellor wanted), but I'd guess it would probably be around 15% at that level.
    It's about 20% at the moment. Anyone who pays a net rate of 35% is earning six figures.
    Also the 35% corresponds to Richards new sliding scale scheme not net taxation where the percent tax you pay depends where you are on the scale between minium wage and 150k
    Don't forget NI and personal allowances which are fading in and out of this subthread. Currently someone on £50k pays 25 per cent according to:
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/estimate-paye-take-home-pay/your-pay
    Yes, it's why I don't understand Richard's proposal. Our tax system works very much like he says it should already, just without having multiple rates.
    You haven't understood at all. The current system does have multiple rates, barmy ones: excluding NI, rates of 20%, 40%, 59.7% in the Child Benefit withdrawal region for parents, then 40% again up to £100K, then 60% as the personal allowances is tapered out, then 40% again, then 45% over £150K. It's made even more complicated by NI, and at the lower end by benefits withdrawals, and at the higher end potentially by the tapered annual allowance for pension contributions.

Ii the proposal I mentioned there would be no sudden changes in marginal rates, let alone barmy ones as we currently have. Instead the marginal rate would start very low and smoothly increase up to a maximum value. So it is progressive, but without the distorting effects of irrationally high marginal rates at certain points in the curve.
    If you're counting Child Benefit withdrawal as income tax then what about Universal Credit withdrawal? That takes income tax up over 70%.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Provided Biden is still the nominee at that stage. I think he is 95%+ certain to be, but with the sexual assault allegations, there has to be a least a little bit of doubt there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    I have always said that a governor would be a good choice and she looks the best of the bunch for me. The lack of Democratic governors has been a real weakness for the party in the last couple of Presidential cycles and Michigan is a key state.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Provided Biden is still the nominee at that stage. I think he is 95%+ certain to be, but with the sexual assault allegations, there has to be a least a little bit of doubt there.
    Indeed. Given his potential dementia and age there has to be at least a little bit of doubt even without such allegations. Getting a name of a Veep out there should hopefully make them successor rather than Sanders if he does fall under a metaphorical bus.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

If you're counting Child Benefit withdrawal as income tax then what about Universal Credit withdrawal? That takes income tax up over 70%.

Yes, absolutely, dealing with that should certainly be part of the overall policy aim. These ludicrously high marginal rates are highly distorting.
  • Options
    The most extraordinary aspect of the Michigan story is that carrying arms into the capitol building is apparently perfectly legal.
  • Options

Yes, absolutely, dealing with that should certainly be part of the overall policy aim. These ludicrously high marginal rates are highly distorting.
    It should be first priority. Its better than the past when Brown made it possible to effectively be on over 100% income tax but it is absolutely absurd that the highest effectively marginally taxed people in our society are some of the poorest.
  • Options

It should be first priority. Its better than the past when Brown made it possible to effectively be on over 100% income tax but it is absolutely absurd that the highest effectively marginally taxed people in our society are some of the poorest.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Frightening photos.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    Analysis by Denmark's infectious diseases agency the State Serum Institute (SSI) found the so-called reproduction rate, known as 'R', rose since schools opened on April 15 as the virus lockdown was eased.

According to the data, the 'R rate' increased from 0.6 in mid-April to 0.9 as of yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8278013/Denmarks-coronavirus-rate-infection-RISEN-0-6-0-9-schools-opened.html

Germany's number of coronavirus infections have risen for the fifth day in a row and the government are now nervously observing the effects of easing the nationwide lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8277837/Germany-sees-number-infections-rise-fifth-day-row.html

We are going to be stop / starting for the next 6 months.
  • Options

The US is so utterly f****d.

Obama v McCain was a decent choice. Obama v Romney likewise. But 2016 was abysmal and this looks worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

Frightening photos.

Pretty much like all the neighbourhood parties around here. ;)

Perhaps I should explain - we live in the agricultural reserve which is pretty rural, despite its proximity to DC and Baltimore. Lots of people hunt, so lots of camo and guns, and they frequently do it together as a social event with beer.
  • Options

I wouldn't be surprised if the restrictions in that state get tighter after this. Intimidating the parliament is not a constructive approach.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Analysis by Denmark's infectious diseases agency the State Serum Institute (SSI) found the so-called reproduction rate, known as 'R', rose since schools opened on April 15 as the virus lockdown was eased.

According to the data, the 'R rate' increased from 0.6 in mid-April to 0.9 as of yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8278013/Denmarks-coronavirus-rate-infection-RISEN-0-6-0-9-schools-opened.html

Germany's number of coronavirus infections have risen for the fifth day in a row and the government are now nervously observing the effects of easing the nationwide lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8277837/Germany-sees-number-infections-rise-fifth-day-row.html

Useful to know though.
  • Options

The most extraordinary aspect of the Michigan story is that carrying arms into the capitol building is apparently perfectly legal.

When I was in the US for a court case I was involved in I thought it was absolutely hilarious that there were no smoking type signs with guns in them and then a further reminder that lawyers should not take their guns into court. I think I showed my bumptiousness by taking photos.

The country's love affair with guns is a really deep sickness.
  • Options

The downward slope for this thing is slow enough at the best of times. At R0.9 it is going to take forever.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the restrictions in that state get tighter after this. Intimidating the parliament is not a constructive approach.
    I don't know Michigan well, but I do know that the Upper Peninsula is a very different beast than the urban areas. If by restrictions, you mean access to the Capitol building, probably. If you mean guns, well ...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,333

Do we care about R among Danish schoolchildren? Our early strategy almost encouraged the virus to spread through playgrounds.
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

I don't know Michigan well, but I do know that the Upper Peninsula is a very different beast than the urban areas. If by restrictions, you mean access to the Capitol building, probably. If you mean guns, well ...
    You think intimidation by carrying automatic rifles right outside the door to their meeting place will have no influence on lawmaker's views on the right to carry such weapons in public?
  • Options

Do we care about R among Danish schoolchildren? Our early strategy almost encouraged the virus to spread through playgrounds.
    I had assumed R referred to the whole population, not just the children.
  • Options

Its the whole population, not the kids.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,338
    From the last thread - since the peak (8th April), overall, I think we are seeing a fairly linear decrease. Looks like a decrease of 30 deaths per day (approx).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,064
    DavidL said:

The downward slope for this thing is slow enough at the best of times. At R0.9 it is going to take forever.
    That depends on the starting point.

A few cycles of R0.75 gives you a big drop which then allows R0.9 to maintain slow downward pressure while restrictions are eased.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    So todays big news is they have changed the way tests are counted in order to appear to hit Hancocks target. Whats the chance Peston @bbclaurak et al ask about it?

Revealed: How government changed the rules to hit 100,000 tests target
    The government has changed the way it is counting the number of covid-19 tests carried out in a bid to hit its target of 100,000 tests per day by the end of April, HSJ can reveal.
    hsj.co.uk
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

Perhaps I should explain - we live in the agricultural reserve which is pretty rural, despite its proximity to DC and Baltimore. Lots of people hunt, so lots of camo and guns, and they frequently do it together as a social event with beer.
    One striking feature I found about Maryland is that the rural areas are just as GOP leaning as say Indiana, it's simply the relative population of the DC burbs and Baltimore outweigh those areas very comfortably.
    Illinois is probably the most striking example of just how geographically urbanised a Dem heavy vote can be in a state.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    US germ warfare lab creates test for pre-infectious Covid-19 carriers

The test has emerged from a project set up by the US military’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) aimed at rapid diagnosis of germ or chemical warfare poisoning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/us-germ-warfare-lab-creates-test-for-pre-infectious-covid-19-carriers
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,024
    TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

And assault rifles?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

Not surprised Denmark's and Germany's infection rates increase as lockdown is eased. One advantage these countries have over the UK is that with a lower level of infection they have more headroom to ease off before having to slam the brakes on again.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

You think intimidation by carrying automatic rifles right outside the door to their meeting place will have no influence on lawmaker's views on the right to carry such weapons in public?
    It might, but there'd be a backlash. (I don't own a gun, and am British, so also fail to understand much of the gun culture here).

Clearly, in this instance, the gun carrying was meant to be intimidating and that should absolutely not be tolerated. But when is gun-carrying in public intimidating and when is it not? Most of us would say that you'd know it when you see it; the gun lobby would say that's the slippery slope.

All I am saying is that, in rural regions, hunting is a major part of the way of life, and guns are seen as just natural. Most days I hear at least some of our neighbours doing shooting practice, and all of us have hunters on our properties. Seeing people shop at the supermarket in full camouflage is natural. If you seek to change what people see as a fundamental part of their way of life, then you must expect a backlash.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555

From the last thread - since the peak (8th April), overall, I think we are seeing a fairly linear decrease. Looks like a decrease of 30 deaths per day (approx).
    If that continues, how many days before we reach close to no deaths, theoretically speaking? (I know it probably won't happen like that in reality).
  • Options

TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

And assault rifles?
    Personally, I see no reason for any member of the public to own an assault rifle.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    Andy_JS said:
    Speaking for myself I prefer to be alive and not die from a horrible disease fighting for every breath.

Have I been driven to irrationality through a culture of fear?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andy_JS said:

If that continues, how many days before we reach close to no deaths, theoretically speaking? (I know it probably won't happen like that in reality).
    If you're letting flights in from JFK ?

Never.

At constant R the linear rate will actually slow though so your last 30 death fall will take much longer than your first 30 death fall.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

If you're letting flights in from JFK ?

Never.
    Are we still doing that?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    He's a shaved Corbyn.
  • Options

US germ warfare lab creates test for pre-infectious Covid-19 carriers

The test has emerged from a project set up by the US military’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) aimed at rapid diagnosis of germ or chemical warfare poisoning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/us-germ-warfare-lab-creates-test-for-pre-infectious-covid-19-carriers

Darpa again. More grist to the Cummings blog.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    I'm nicely green on Whitmer, should Biden see fit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

When I was in the US for a court case I was involved in I thought it was absolutely hilarious that there were no smoking type signs with guns in them and then a further reminder that lawyers should not take their guns into court. I think I showed my bumptiousness by taking photos.

The country's love affair with guns is a really deep sickness.
    On the steps entrance to the house where Lincoln Died is a no smoking style sign saying No Guns.

Superflous really I thought.

A few doors down is an excellent diner called Lincoln's Waffle Shop.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    Hardly he is more an old Bliar
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200
    For anyone who has PBS America on their TV, there is a programme coming up shortly on the 1918 flu epidemic, right after the last episode of The Vietnam War documentary.

Fun times .....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Still a material chance that he is not. The nominee, that is. That he is terrible is going nowhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Cyclefree said:

For anyone who has PBS America on their TV, there is a programme coming up shortly on the 1918 flu epidemic, right after the last episode of The Vietnam War documentary.

Fun times .....

Will never happen again though will it....Mrs U has some bat soup on the go at the moment.
  • Options

That is what I was getting at. If the rise in R is due to the schools reopening and sending R-child rocketing then do we care? Is R-adult rising or are we being misled by unhelpful averaging?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

One striking feature I found about Maryland is that the rural areas are just as GOP leaning as say Indiana, it's simply the relative population of the DC burbs and Baltimore outweigh those areas very comfortably.
    Illinois is probably the most striking example of just how geographically urbanised a Dem heavy vote can be in a state.
    Washington State and Oregon likewise.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

That is what I was getting at. If the rise in R is due to the schools reopening and sending R-child rocketing then do we care? Is R-adult rising or are we being misled by unhelpful averaging?
    We care any which way, if it is the little germ spreaders or the parents picking them up, or it could be some other relaxed measure. It is important to find it what exactly is driving it.
  • Options

It's based on hospital admissions, so it's highly unlikely it's the children that are responsible for this uptick, rather their parents who got it, and spread it to others.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,338

TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    Re-tread Kinnock, surely?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_1988_presidential_campaign#Kinnock_controversy
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,340
    Will heavy rain have any effect on covid.. keep people indoors?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

Much of New York State is very rural and conservative.

Pennsylvania is the interesting one: it's very evenly divided between Philly and Pittsburgh and their 'burbs at each end of the state, and what's often described as "Kentucky in between".
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Speaking for myself I prefer to be alive and not die from a horrible disease fighting for every breath.

This is just another facet of the man up, get some fighting spirit bullshit smeared over a libertarian lens.The folk most vulnerable are the elderly, poor and already ill, perhaps these warriors for personal liberty (who'd be the first to bleat about bien pensant metropolitan privilege) should have a taste of that before indulging in their adolescent essay writing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    How Guernsey is coming out of lockdown:

https://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=124781&p=0

Notably travel restrictions (hello UK) will be the last thing to be lifted.
  • Options

I presume it is preferable to days of sunshine which tempt people to bend the rules.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    We're starting our first pre summer heatwave in SE Spain - temperatures from now till September in the 30s or thereabouts. I wonder if it well help to slow the infection rate a bit.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

I presume it is preferable to days of sunshine which tempt people to bend the rules.
    It’s going to be most dry and sunny from tomorrow for the foreseeable, which will displease the COVID gloomsters!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Just checked on the ONS data and found that my township (approx. 8000 people) has had 9 deaths which is quite high compared to other villages and neighbourhoods. But we do have 5 care homes and I am assuming that when they die in hospital they are recorded as coming from their home address(is that right Foxy?)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

Pennsylvania is the interesting one: it's very evenly divided between Philly and Pittsburgh and their 'burbs at each end of the state, and what's often described as "Kentucky in between".
    I dont think many people realise how rural it gets fairly quickly outside of NYC. It isnt like the sprawl that comes out of London where you can travel in every direction for a long time and it really is just lessening of the population density with small gaps between fairly sizeable towns.

You go North of NYC and you can be in the arse end of nowhere with no clue how close you are to a mega city.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

This is just another facet of the man up, get some fighting spirit bullshit smeared over a libertarian lens.The folk most vulnerable are the elderly, poor and already ill, perhaps these warriors for personal liberty (who'd be the first to bleat about bien pensant metropolitan privilege) should have a taste of that before indulging in their adolescent essay writing.
    The elderly, poor, and the ill are allowed to man-up too. They get to choose, and not you.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

The elderly, poor, and the ill are allowed to man-up too. They get to choose, and not you.

They have chosen. Lockdown is overwhelmingly popular.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

No, but there are a slew of well-known fear factors that make us misperceive risks - overstating some (e.g. risks we cannot control, e.g. Ebola and COVID), and understating others (e.g. risks that come on slowly or which we don't think will effect us, e.g. climate change).

In that sense, our risk perception can be 'irrational' - but in evolutionary terms, it is very rational to overstate some fears and understate others.
  • Options
    Peak Telegraph article title ?

"I am refusing to give up on my holiday to Dordogne - even if it means cycling to get there "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/refusing-give-holiday-dordogne-even-means-cycling-get/

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    I understand that having a shaved Corbyn is quite popular these days.
  • Options

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

They have chosen. Lockdown is overwhelmingly popular.
    True, but I've no idea how your comment connects to the above.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    Even before he was senile he was never as smart as Blair.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    Dementia Kinnock more like it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

And by all accounts they have. I don't see crowds of them storming government buildings (bearing assault weapons or not) demanding liberty, and all polling suggests general support for the lockdown.

Perhaps if you lot got the elderly, poor, and the ill to make the case rather than some teenage mutated Marxist, it might make it remotely convincing.
  • Options

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

And by all accounts they have. I don't see crowds of them storming government buildings (bearing assault weapons or not) demanding liberty, and all polling suggests general support for the lockdown.

Perhaps if you lot got the elderly, poor, and the ill to make the case rather than some teenage mutated Marxist, it might make it remotely convincing.
    Who's 'you lot'?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,923
    eadric said:

Just got an email from a friend who got this badly in March - tested positive. I hadn't heard for a while so presumed she was better - she's pretty fit, in her forties, not a vulnerable demog.

She told me she still has it quite badly. Chest pain, tightness breathing, fatigue, and more. She is getting better but it is very slow.

FWIW IF I had it back in January, I too still have some symptoms. Shortness of breath, lingering cough, tiredness sometimes; nothing terrible but noticeable

And see here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/lingering-and-painful-long-and-unclear-road-to-coronavirus-recovery-long-lasting-symptoms

This bastard virus takes a loooooong time to bugger off. This will have implications for public health for many years. Sadly.

This is also why Johnson should have stayed off work. He’s no good to himself or the country if he’s not fighting fit.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

The author asserts "We seem to have lost all sense of proportion " at the beginning of a paragraph and ends it with "placing the entire country under house arrest. "
    I presume this is meta irony.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Observer, I'm inclined to agree.

Difficult situation, though.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited May 2020

rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

Frightening photos.

I dont think many people realise how rural it gets fairly quickly outside of NYC. It isnt like the sprawl that comes out of London where you can travel in every direction for a long time and it really is just lessening of the population density with small gaps between fairly sizeable towns.

You go North of NYC and you can be in the arse end of nowhere with no clue how close you are to a mega city.
    Yeah, there's even a big divide just in Westchester County (where I live, the county immediately north of the Bronx). It's very urban in the south - Yonkers is sometimes called the "sixth borough of New York City". Where I am in the middle, Sleepy Hollow / Tarrytown, is small towns with a lot of countryside around and further north gets very rural very quickly.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Andy_JS said:

~2 weeks.
  • Options
    100k+

#PrayforBethRigby
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,185

Yes kinabalu I agree, one must consider primary concerns like the stage of the economic cycle, the size of the deficit as well as secondary concerns like the size of the debt to get a big picture view.

Do you agree with that?

:smile: - bang!

And yes, of course, no probs reciprocating.

The debt, the deficit, where one thinks one is in the economic cycle, these are all key to assessing the state of the public finances.

Debt is "secondary"? Hmm. Not for me. Or rather not necessarily. It really does depend. For example, if yields shoot up the amount of debt you're carrying and its maturity profile can be rather important.

But that's a mere quibble. We have nailed it. Not only that, I think our lengthy exchange on this most arcane of topics has benefited the whole board.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited May 2020

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Support for lockdown is high because people are paid to stay at home. The liberty aspect of this crisis is yet to play out.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    He doesn't have to be.
    He just has to be more smart than Trump.
    Come to think of it he doesn't even need to be that, anybody could be better than Trump even if they did absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Does anyone know of a graph of daily deaths by region of those with COVID? We keep seeing the hospitalisations graph in the daily presser but I can't recall seeing this. We see London markedly falling but not much elsewhere, so I was wondering if this is just hospitalisations or if deaths are now also equally spread across the country.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,185
    I gather from @bigjohnowls on PT that the way tests are counted was changed to hit the target?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    slade said:

Just checked on the ONS data and found that my township (approx. 8000 people) has had 9 deaths which is quite high compared to other villages and neighbourhoods. But we do have 5 care homes and I am assuming that when they die in hospital they are recorded as coming from their home address(is that right Foxy?)

Oh dear that's a real local hotspot as you say. No COVID deaths in my ONS neighbourhood, despite being in the town, but I think all the most local care homes are in next door neighbourhoods.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:

He's a shaved Corbyn.
    He doesn't have to be.
    He just has to be more smart than Trump.
    Come to think of it he doesn't even need to be that, anybody could be better than Trump even if they did absolutely nothing.
    I don't disagree. I just wish the choice in quality was clearer. It really shouldn't have been hard.
  • Options
    I don't go out, but a passing friend (kept several metres away as we shouted to each other down my drive), tells me the local town has seen a lot more traffic in last couple of days. Her journey to (essential) work is also a lot busier ('in the first two weeks I was almost the only car on the road').

Definitely starting to fray.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kinabalu said:

I gather from @bigjohnowls on PT that the way tests are counted was changed to hit the target?

Does it matter? It's just nitpicking now.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Pro_Rata said:

slade said:

Oh dear that's a real local hotspot as you say. No COVID deaths in my ONS neighbourhood, despite being in the town, but I think all the most local care homes are in next door neighbourhoods.
    Is there a way of seeing a smaller area than London Borough?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,958
    eadric said:

NY schools closed until end of academic year...

In america that's probably next week anyway (it's actual 8 more weeks looking at https://mommypoppins.com/new-york-city-kids/schools/heres-the-nyc-public-school-calendar-for-2019-2020).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Borough, I was out today, briefly, and there were notably more people about, and traffic.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    122,000 plus tests
  • Options

122,000 plus tests

2000 from Scotland...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!
  • Options

122,000 plus tests

That's one very painful nose someone must have.
  • Options

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!
    :lol:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Peston will be sucking lemons at the moment...
This discussion has been closed.