Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The armed, Trump-backed, lockdown protestors who are helping b

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

It is highly unusual for a Prime Minister to miss so many Cobra meetings. And simply opening a newspaper would have alerted the Prime Minister to the nature of the danger. A Prime Minister who took his responsibilities seriously (just about all of his predecessors) would have been asking searching questions. But he couldn’t be arsed.

How do you know what questions he asked?
    We know he didn’t bother to turn up to any of the Cobra meetings to ask them.
    We don't have any knowledge at all of what questions he asked, searching or otherwise, but we do know that at the time the experts assessed the risk as 'Low' and then later upgraded it to 'Moderate' right through until March 12th. We also know that it is perfectly normal for PMs not to attend COBRA meetings.
    In perfectly normal times maybe.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Breakdown of yday's tests:

122,347 "tests" counted, of which 73,191 individual people tested

* 39,753 in NHS, PHE and devolved admin labs

* 3,072 in surveillance programme

* 39,153 drive through

* 40,369 posted out - crucially these are counted *when posted*, not when results come

Net number of people whose test were actually processed 32,722
    You do realised that they will be processing tests from the day before as well, yes?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

* 39,153 drive through

* 40,369 posted out - crucially these are counted *when posted*, not when results come

Am I the only person who finds the obsessive tractor stats and attempted "gotcha" moments extraordinarily tedious?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2020

It’s not normal for the Prime Minister to miss so many. And opening any newspaper in February would have alerted a Prime Minister with a sense of responsibility to an obvious risk to understand.

“Low” and “Moderate” did not have the defined meaning those words would imply, cf the government’s response to the recent Sunday Times article:

“Response - This is a misrepresentation of what the threat level is. This is about the current public health danger – and on February 21, when the UK had about a dozen confirmed cases, out of a population of over 66 million, the actual threat to individuals was moderate.”

Now if you are saying that the experts failed woefully, I would agree. That does not absolve the politicians. It’s their job to test the advice they receive.

Boris Johnson went on a fortnight’s holiday instead.

I'm not blaming the experts; as I said (and as I keep saying), this was an extremely fast-moving situation where the judgements were very difficult and the scientific data very scanty. However, the plain fact is that, as late as March 9th:

SAGE .. recommended, with no dissension recorded in its summary, that the UK reject a China-style lockdown. SAGE decided that “implementing a subset of measures would be ideal,” according to a record of its conclusions. Tougher measures could create a “large second epidemic wave once the measures were lifted,” SAGE said.

Maybe they were wrong, maybe they were right - it's actually far too early to form a view on that - but it's one hell of a leap of blame-mongering to jump from that fact to your assertions that Boris was negligent or not paying attention. No fair-minded person could make that criticism of him and the government generally in this particular case. They acted entirely responsibly given the expert advice they had at the time.

If only they listened to the experts in another context...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kyf_100 said:

* 39,153 drive through

Am I the only person who finds the obsessive tractor stats and attempted "gotcha" moments extraordinarily tedious?
    No.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    RobD said:

Its not even an appropriate use of the term delivered James

JamesClayton
    @JamesClayton5
    ·
    46m
    So around 40,000 tests were ‘delivered’. That is not the same as ‘carried out’ the term used previously

You do realise those tests are going to be analysed within a day or two, don't you?
    another one that buttons up the back, get a grip on reality.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

It’s not normal for the Prime Minister to miss so many. And opening any newspaper in February would have alerted a Prime Minister with a sense of responsibility to an obvious risk to understand.

“Low” and “Moderate” did not have the defined meaning those words would imply, cf the government’s response to the recent Sunday Times article:

“Response - This is a misrepresentation of what the threat level is. This is about the current public health danger – and on February 21, when the UK had about a dozen confirmed cases, out of a population of over 66 million, the actual threat to individuals was moderate.”

Now if you are saying that the experts failed woefully, I would agree. That does not absolve the politicians. It’s their job to test the advice they receive.

I'm not blaming the experts; as I said (and as I keep saying), this was an extremely fast-moving situation where the judgements were very difficult and the scientific data very scanty. However, the plain fact is that, as late as March 9th:

SAGE .. recommended, with no dissension recorded in its summary, that the UK reject a China-style lockdown. SAGE decided that “implementing a subset of measures would be ideal,” according to a record of its conclusions. Tougher measures could create a “large second epidemic wave once the measures were lifted,” SAGE said.

Maybe they were wrong, maybe they were right - it's actually far too early to form a view on that - but it's one hell of a leap of blame-mongering to jump from that fact to your assertions that Boris was negligent or not paying attention. No fair-minded person could make that criticism of him and the government generally in this particular case. They acted entirely responsibly given the expert advice they had at the time.

Near perfect Government Rich ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    edited May 2020

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I see the 'it's not important if the target isn't met today' lads have miraculously pivoted to 'what a victory for Matt Clem Fitzgerald Hilda Hancock!!!'

Just 2000 tests in Scotland - WTF is the SNP up to ?
    Well they're not posting out 50k tests, that's for sure.
    They're not posting out any are they?
    Union doesn't believe the Scottish governments own figures of 2,063.

It was in today's briefing which you presumably don't watch for Hunnish patriotic reasons.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1256190024439271434?s=20
    Ooh you do get all bigotty when on the defensive.

The Scottish govt released the tweets - not my problem if they have 2 sets of books.
    Those aren't Scottish Government tweets. They are from Holyrood current affairs magazine. That does make a difference to your conclision.
    TUD quoted the Holyrood Mag - TGHOF666 the Scottish government’s tweets. Which is reliable?

Hmm, I checked. TUD did indeed quote the mag, which is fair enough, but in his posting at 5:48 TGoHF666 clearly ascribed the "tweets" to the Scottish Gmt - no other tweets present to be the ones he meant?

The tweets are obviously reporting the FM's press conference, if you look at the whole thread, but that is not the same thing as official SG tweets.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!
    So they missed the target of 100,000 people tested despite changing the way they are counted from processed to posted out

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1246710511053475840
    need a hanky BJO :D
    Need a tissue and a trestle table TGOHF.

He missed the target set by the @10downingstreet

Despite changing the rules to include non processed tests, including those not returned, including those not even received by the testee.

You have fallen for it unsurprisingly
    You are giving an impression that you are desperate for HMG to fail for political reasons

And in this deadly disease that is wrong
    No i expect them to be consistent with the way they count them.

Up until Monday that meant they were counted once they were processed.

Then we decided to count posted out and not received back. Posted out but not yet received. And even requested a test.

You would be screaming if anyone else changed how to count them 3 days before a deadline to meet a self imposed target.

You are giving an impression that you are desperate for HMG to succeed for political reasons even if it has to move the goalposts to do so
    You have lost the argument
    There is no argument.

If i tell you i am sending you £200,000 to buy a 2nd property can you buy it on the day you send me an envelope to put a cheque in or do you spend it it if i send it and the bank processes my cheque?

Your Health Secretary has been caught cheating Big G

With FP (which you would use for a sum of that size) you’d have the money the same day
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

I wonder how many Sir Humphrey's on PHE and DoH spent the past month saying it just isn't possible, we can't use x because, that is very brave minister....

Sir Humphrey would say it was ok to count a test as complete once a stamp had been licked.

Thank God we dont have people in PHE with that kind of thinking!!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,143
    Let the Premier League play the games out over a fortnight in Baku. That will keep the fans away.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!
    So they missed the target of 100,000 people tested despite changing the way they are counted from processed to posted out

Despite changing the rules to include non processed tests, including those not returned, including those not even received by the testee.

You are giving an impression that you are desperate for HMG to fail for political reasons

Then we decided to count posted out and not received back. Posted out but not yet received. And even requested a test.

You would be screaming if anyone else changed how to count them 3 days before a deadline to meet a self imposed target.

You are giving an impression that you are desperate for HMG to succeed for political reasons even if it has to move the goalposts to do so
    There is no argument.

If i tell you i am sending you £200,000 to buy a 2nd property can you buy it on the day you send me an envelope to put a cheque in or do you spend it it if i send it and the bank processes my cheque?

With FP (which you would use for a sum of that size) you’d have the money the same day
    Lol, the government is using sameday Amazon logistics. All of the tests that got sent today will arrive today.
  • Options
    glw said:

Even by the 100k people tested, there was 73k people tested. From the start position to there, and given Wales / Scotland have not managed to increase at all, that isn't a bad effort.

It's an amazing effort and success. To take anything complicated and to do it, or make it, an order of magnitude more in a matter of weeks is ridiculously ambitious. There are very few businesses or organisations who would want to do things that way in ordinary circumstances.
    Scotland and Wales don't lie is the issue, another dumb sucker.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

HYUFD said:

So terrible he is polling better in the South than any Democratic nominee since Bill Clinton (who also had Paula Jones, Monica Lewinsky etc )

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1256230902298021889?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1256232224522997763?s=20
    NC isn't really The South any more. The Research Triangle is full of Yankees who went to Duke and stayed.
    It is still the South, it fought for the Confederacy, even if it has a few Yankees around the University.

Not only did Trump win it but Romney did too, so for Biden to be leading there is significant
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    eadric said:

Interesting analysis of the Rona's origins.

It might have come from that Wuhan lab, it might not. We still don't know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52318539

Ta for clearing that up.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    This isnt going to go away the Government are going to have to explain why.

Even the BBC will pick this up eventually
    When did it change?

If it was April 3 then it’s very different to it changed yesterday.

The current one looks like the boiler plate that’s been used for a while - I suspect CET that it was a wholesale rewrite a while ago
    28/4/20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JamesClayton
    @JamesClayton5
    ·
    46m
    So around 40,000 tests were ‘delivered’. That is not the same as ‘carried out’ the term used previously

You do realise those tests are going to be analysed within a day or two, don't you?
    What’s the reality of the Scottish government testing? Why does it lag England?
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!

There is no argument.

Indeed just like the tests have been sent with a same day courier 😂
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I wonder how many Sir Humphrey's on PHE and DoH spent the past month saying it just isn't possible, we can't use x because, that is very brave minister....

Sir Humphrey would say it was ok to count a test as complete once a stamp had been licked.

Thank God we dont have people in PHE with that kind of thinking!!!
    PHE shown up by G4S and Matt Hancock, how embarrassing is that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Well Sturgeon is doing sod all to push independence, so she can stay First Minister indefinitely as far as I am concerned if she sticks to that line
  • Options
    eadric said:

MOREOVER, the critique that a test mailed out should not count is nuts

If a test is sent out, then the person receiving it will not wait to use it, they will do it immediately. That person will then know if they are positive or negative, they have been tested. The store of knowledge around coronavirus has been increased by 1 test.

The government is right to count them in the total, so the total is 122,000

When you are caught flat out lying stop digging and go hide for a few days.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    I don't know about anyone else, but I can't think of any better way to celebrate when we finally stagger, exhausted, miserable and quite possibly bankrupt, to the end of the Covid Ultramarathon than to hold another constitutional referendum followed by another immensely complex divorce process lasting until the late 2020s. It'll be so much fun.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,143
    kyf_100 said:

* 39,153 drive through

I refer you to my post at 1812hrs
  • Options
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

So terrible he is polling better in the South than any Democratic nominee since Bill Clinton (who also had Paula Jones, Monica Lewinsky etc )

NC isn't really The South any more. The Research Triangle is full of Yankees who went to Duke and stayed.
    And Georgia?
    Indeed, Georgia has not voted for a Democrat for president since Bill Clinton in 1992 and Biden just a point behind there
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:
    Well Sturgeon is doing sod all to push independence, so she can stay First Minister indefinitely as far as I am concerned if she sticks to that line
    Not yet.

All in good time.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!

There is no argument.

These Tories are either mugs or just as bad as their government, you woudl need to be brain dead to think they made the numbers.

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

BACK OF THE NET

Go BORIS, GO Matt Hancock

GET IN

We got this silly virus BEAT. We are the BEST. Fuck off Starmer, Sky, BBC, and the moaning lefties.

AN ABSOLUTE TRIUMPH

You really are not right in the head, you do know they counted 50K postal applications as tested even if just requested and not even posted. What is it about Tories that makes them such gullible fools.
    Who could be stupid enough to think that they have tried for 6 weeks to get anywhere , were miles and miles away a day or so ago and suddenly they have done 4 times as many tests in a day or so as they did in previous 6 weeks
    No they counted 27k that were sent out using a same day delivery service.
    Lying bastards, no way to spin them cheating, a bunch of unprincipled liars.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

HYUFD said:

And Georgia?
    I've got it on my mind.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    edited May 2020
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

RobD said:

So, only 27k home kits. Even without those it's 95k.

I think it would have been better to say they’d done 95k and sent out 27k. People tripping over to find fault would have had less toy ammo
    Exactly. Present the unvarnished picture of 'close but no cigar'.

We're all adults. We're all rooting for him. We'd have understood.
    No. The attack dogs would go out on the line “the government broke their promise/didn’t deliver”. The nuance of it being by a comparatively small amount would be ignored.
    I think most people would have been fine. And you should not be intimidated by the frothy extreme. Just retain your poise and integrity. Better in the long run.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JamesClayton
    @JamesClayton5
    ·
    46m

They don't make up false numbers , lie , cheat and obfuscate. How can you even try to spin it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alas, certainly not. Reasonably good on the Covid-19 response, dubious on many governance issues, moderate to poor in most routine stuff and on pre-Covid financial/economic measures, and catastrophically bad on the Brexit side, the last of which will come back to bite them and us.
  • Options

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't think of any better way to celebrate when we finally stagger, exhausted, miserable and quite possibly bankrupt, to the end of the Covid Ultramarathon than to hold another constitutional referendum followed by another immensely complex divorce process lasting until the late 2020s. It'll be so much fun.
    It will be fun.

We need excitement, we've become addicted to it over the last few years. Since Brexit will be over and this will be over what else should there be? Another divorce sounds like just what was ordered in this age of 24/7 binges.
  • Options

Fortunately ditherer Nicola is not pressing that, so Boris can ignore her and continue to politely decline
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!

There is no argument.

Lol, the government is using sameday Amazon logistics. All of the tests that got sent today will arrive today.
    Is that like their prime is arriving on time like.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:
    Not yet.

All in good time.
    Nope, Sturgeon has ruled it out indefinitely without a Section 30 from Westminster which Boris has said he will never grant.

Hence Wings over Scotland now calls her 'the governor general'
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alas, certainly not. Reasonably good on the Covid-19 response, dubious on many governance issues, moderate to poor in most routine stuff and on pre-Covid financial/economic measures, and catastrophically bad on the Brexit side, the last of which will come back to bite them and us.
    Brexit is going fantastically. We managed to get a deal, got out, despite naysayers like yourself saying it was impossible.

Thank goodness we were out of the EU before this virus hit and its economic aftermath. Thank goodness the transition will be over this year before the new budget session starts next year with EU-wide bonds to pay for the fact the Eurozone was a disaster and nations in Europe can't devalue their currency or print currency like we can.

We escaped in time thank goodness. There will be no extension thank goodness.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

* 39,153 drive through

So which of those do you have a problem with?
    Well 40,369 were definitely not processed and as they are counted on a 1 test = 1 person basis that means you can knock at least that number off the 73,191 tested.

As no 10 said they would test 100,000 people the target was missed by 67,000 people

Apart from that everythings fine

We’ll test 100,000 people a day by the end of this month.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I see the 'it's not important if the target isn't met today' lads have miraculously pivoted to 'what a victory for Matt Clem Fitzgerald Hilda Hancock!!!'

It was in today's briefing which you presumably don't watch for Hunnish patriotic reasons.

The Scottish govt released the tweets - not my problem if they have 2 sets of books.
    Those aren't Scottish Government tweets. They are from Holyrood current affairs magazine. That does make a difference to your conclision.
    TUD quoted the Holyrood Mag - TGHOF666 the Scottish government’s tweets. Which is reliable?

Hmm, I checked. TUD did indeed quote the mag, which is fair enough, but in his posting at 5:48 TGoHF666 clearly ascribed the "tweets" to the Scottish Gmt - no other tweets present to be the ones he meant?

The tweets are obviously reporting the FM's press conference, if you look at the whole thread, but that is not the same thing as official SG tweets.

That means nothing to these unionists, they lie lie and swear blind it is you that is lying, they have no morals or principles and just hate the SNP and Scotland. No coincidence they are both failed Scots desperate to show how English Unionist they are.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JamesClayton
    @JamesClayton5
    ·
    46m

They don't make up false numbers , lie , cheat and obfuscate. How can you even try to spin it.
    You sounds like a United fan trying to belittle Liverpool's season. Its just sad get over it.
  • Options

Brexit is going fantastically. We managed to get a deal, got out, despite naysayers like yourself saying it was impossible.

Thank goodness we were out of the EU before this virus hit and its economic aftermath. Thank goodness the transition will be over this year before the new budget session starts next year with EU-wide bonds to pay for the fact the Eurozone was a disaster and nations in Europe can't devalue their currency or print currency like we can.

Yeah yeah. Try telling that to importers and exporters in January next year.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!

There is no argument.

This is why prime deliveries are late, Amazon is using a large proportion of their logistics capacity on testing and other PHE logistics.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

* 39,153 drive through

So which of those do you have a problem with?
    Well 40,369 were definitely not processed and as they are counted on a 1 test = 1 person basis that means you can knock at least that number off the 73,191 tested.

As no 10 said they would test 100,000 people the target was missed by 67,000 people

Apart from that everythings fine

We’ll test 100,000 people a day by the end of this month.

Here’s how Downwards arrow

https://gov.uk/government/news/health-secretary-sets-out-plan-to-carry-out-100000-coronavirus-tests-a-day
    9:05 AM · Apr 5, 2020
    The press conference with Hancock where the test was announced said tests, not people.
  • Options

Sure. The coronavirus aftermath will matter to them far more than Brexit ever would.

On the other hand how much would the coronabonds be costing us next year if we were foolhardy enough to extend?
  • Options
    eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

* 39,153 drive through

The public will be pleased and relieved that testing has been so hugely and successfully expanded. Which it has, however you counted.

The journalists desperate to pull apart the figures look evermore detached from the national mood.

"Minister, you say 400,000 troops successfully invaded Normandy on D Day, but isn't that just a terrible lie, and only 300,000 troops got on to the beach, while 100,000 are still waiting their turn in the boats?"
    Only sad morons will either believe it or be happy. AS per usual Tories do not like the truth being pointed out to them.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

* 39,153 drive through

I refer you to my post at 1812hrs
    Gotcha. I've been in (virtual) meetings all day and haven't caught up with the full thread.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Evening all :)

Without getting the minutiae of whether its actual tests, tests which have been sent out or whatever, getting 73,000 people tested is better than not getting 73,000 people tested.

As with all crises, there's initial panic and confusion while the Government seeks to understand what is going on, then there is the phase of formulating the response before implementing the response. There was a brief sense just after kid March the Government had lost control of the situation but within a few days a response had been created and now we are fully into the response phase.

Moving from a situation where those with symptoms can get tests to a situation where anyone can get a test is going to take time and resources but should be an integral part of the process of easing the current restrictions.

The notion of mass testing and tracking outbreaks looks a feasible response and signs from Germany suggest a premature easing might cause problems.

We now await next Thursday and part of me suspects we will see some pre-Bank Holiday largesse from the Prime Minister - perhaps he will liken the struggle against coronavirus to WW2 though I doubt it. He won't be in any position to declare VC-Day next week but for those desperate to see more than their four walls there will be signs of an easing but baby steps.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

BACK OF THE NET

GET IN

We got this silly virus BEAT. We are the BEST. Fuck off Starmer, Sky, BBC, and the moaning lefties.

AN ABSOLUTE TRIUMPH

You really are not right in the head, you do know they counted 50K postal applications as tested even if just requested and not even posted. What is it about Tories that makes them such gullible fools.
    Who could be stupid enough to think that they have tried for 6 weeks to get anywhere , were miles and miles away a day or so ago and suddenly they have done 4 times as many tests in a day or so as they did in previous 6 weeks
    Of course they were, capacity takes time to build and come online but then once it is online it can be used.

That's like saying how pathetic it is to think that after an opening of a building 100% of its users have been after it opened rather than before it opened.
    Philip, you can try hard but no amount of spin can make it near the truth
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

TGOHF666 said:

122,000 plus tests

BOOM!

There is no argument.

This is why prime deliveries are late, Amazon is using a large proportion of their logistics capacity on testing and other PHE logistics.
    It says something about just how far along Amazon have come that their logistics can be used same day over the Royal Mail as the way to get things out quickly. They've built an incredible logistics network and its quite right that they've bumped Prime delivery of tat to take longer than normal so that critical logistics can go first.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Harry and Meghan tripping over their own shoelaces again, I see - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/judge-throws-out-part-of-meghans-privacy-case-79f0tjhcj.

Either they are being very badly advised or they’re not listening.

Both
    Hate myself for this but -

If they are being badly advised AND not listening this is surely a good thing.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    I know footballers have a reputation of being thick and greedy, but this is the second footballer who appears to have bet on their own transfer...

Kieran Trippier charged with breaching FA betting rules when he left Spurs

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/01/kieran-trippier-charged-breaching-fa-betting-rules-spurs-aletico-madrid

I mean how stupid and greedy do you have to be to do this?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

BACK OF THE NET

GET IN

AN ABSOLUTE TRIUMPH

Of course they were, capacity takes time to build and come online but then once it is online it can be used.

That's like saying how pathetic it is to think that after an opening of a building 100% of its users have been after it opened rather than before it opened.
    Philip, you can try hard but no amount of spin can make it near the truth
    No spin. Its the way it works and can tell from real world experiences that testing capacity is available in the way it wasn't in the past.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Fear not, there is still much to celebrate.

https://twitter.com/youngwd1/status/1256183505521950721?s=20

The fact that it's pound for pound probably the stupidest SLab (ex) pol putting it out there is possibly less comforting.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Sure. The coronavirus aftermath will matter to them far more than Brexit ever would.

On the other hand how much would the coronabonds be costing us next year if we were foolhardy enough to extend?
    It's a most curious argument that just because we've suffered one disaster, it's OK to impose another one on ourselves before we've recovered from the first, and with no time or resources for business to prepare for it. And even if you take the view that we should still leave the transition at the end of the year, that doesn't excuse the near-lunatic negotiating stance which the government seems to be engaged in, nor the reneging on the Irish protocol which they seem to be signalling.
  • Options
    Yes, it's all very well hiding behind your spreadsheets and your graphs and your tables but each of those 739 is a tragedy and they deserve recognition and respect.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    He should be explaining the daily figures on the BBC.
  • Options

Rare that I agree with Momentum.....SAGE/NERVTAG/Govt asleep at the wheel.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1256179319979814912?s=20

Err, have you seen the pictures of the airport terminals? Virtually no-one is coming from high-risk areas, or anywhere much else for that matter, and if they do come they are immediately in lockdown the same as the rest of us. So it's really not an issue at the moment.
    Lockdown NOT Quarantine. There's a difference. In quarantine you don't leave your home at all for 14 days. In "Lockdown" if you can't WFH and are in essential services you go to work, you can exercise outside daily, you can go shopping or for medical attention. It's not the same. No wonder Guernsey is saying the final phase will be lifting travel restrictions.
    I didn't say it was the same. So what? We are talking about whether arrivals add significantly to the risk. The government experts think not. Some blokes on the internet are quite certain that it's a major failure of the government.
    Not "some blokes on the internet" but "the governments of most other countries in the world" - including some who have done conspicuously better than us.
  • Options
    Coronavirus vs Covid-19 -

The virus is what you catch and Covid-19 is the disease which can result but does not always.

That's what works for me.
  • Options

It will be fun.

We need excitement, we've become addicted to it over the last few years. Since Brexit will be over and this will be over what else should there be? Another divorce sounds like just what was ordered in this age of 24/7 binges.
    God no, can't we just have a boring year when nothing much happens for a change? I've been trying to think of an especially dull year that we could aspire to copy. Nothing Earth-shattering happened in the year 2000 - couldn't we just build another giant dome, in Barnsley or somewhere like that this time, and let the politicians and media types spend the year arguing over whether it was a good idea or not, whilst the rest of us are allowed to get on with our lives in peace? Just one year when we don't have to have a referendum or a general election or a bloody foreign war or be massacred and immiserated by a plague? Is it really too much to ask?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, it's all very well hiding behind your spreadsheets and your graphs and your tables but each of those 739 is a tragedy and they deserve recognition and respect.
    I agree and disagree with that. Yes every single person who has died leaves behind a lot of sadness. On the other hand, you can't get bogged down otherwise you won't be able to do a proper analysis.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Its 300 fewer tests than were performed on 5th April in Scotland.

Gone backwards in a month.
    I know for the umpteenth time you think (erroneously yet again) that you've got your magic SNP killing silver bullet, but you might as well use the correct numbers or folk might think you're talking through your arse on a subject you know nothing about..

There were 2,537 tests carried out yesterday between hospitals, care homes and the community

There were also 2,124 test carried out at the regional drive-through testing centres yesterday

In total, there were 4,661 tests carried out across Scotland yesterday and 22,400 keyworkers or familiy members have now been tested

Laboratory capacity for coronavirus tests is now 4,350 tests per day, with testing in all 14 NHS areas

4,350 figure is just for NHS testing. If including Glasgow University lab and other drive through labs, total capacity is now 8,350 tests per day

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1256207033575051269?s=20

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1255844792950538240?s=20

56,702-54,639= 2,063

Unless the Scottish government has got its sums wrong again.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

So which ones are accurate? The Scottish govt, or the Holyrood Mag report?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    Barely have time to even read pb headers these days, yet alone the threads with their gazillion comments, but I thought you might like to know I'm currently sinking beer to banging CHOONS.

Have a good weekend all.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    A shame that the Government felt the need to manipulate the Testing Data to avoid political embarrassment. Such sharp practice is likely to undermine confidence in future statements made.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    edited May 2020

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I know for the umpteenth time you think (erroneously yet again) that you've got your magic SNP killing silver bullet, but you might as well use the correct numbers or folk might think you're talking through your arse on a subject you know nothing about..

There were 2,537 tests carried out yesterday between hospitals, care homes and the community

There were also 2,124 test carried out at the regional drive-through testing centres yesterday

In total, there were 4,661 tests carried out across Scotland yesterday and 22,400 keyworkers or familiy members have now been tested

Laboratory capacity for coronavirus tests is now 4,350 tests per day, with testing in all 14 NHS areas

4,350 figure is just for NHS testing. If including Glasgow University lab and other drive through labs, total capacity is now 8,350 tests per day

56,702-54,639= 2,063

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I can't reply to that as the SG tweets to which Mr ex-Flashman refers are apparently nonexistent, which is the entire burden of my last response. He may have posted some in anotgher post, but how do I know which he meant?
  • Options
    Right I can announce I have absolutely smashed my target of getting 100,000 girlfriends today.

I have achieved this by posting a very large number of letters to girls.

I am going to have to leave PB for today as although none of them have appeared yet i am going to have a very busy evening shagging them when they appear in the next 4 hours as they obvs will because they are confimed "girlfriends" for 1/5/20

Goodnight
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Interesting analysis of the Rona's origins.

It might have come from that Wuhan lab, it might not. We still don't know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52318539

Ta for clearing that up.
    Tsk. The article is illuminating for what it does NOT say. Until now the official, mainstream position - the one the BBC will normally offer - if that there is no evidence it came from the lab, therefore this is a conspiracy theory, it came from the market, etc

That the BBC does NOT say this is remarkable. It tells me the mainstream opinion is slowly shifting, despite China's attempt to whitewash everything.
    China is as trustworthy as the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

* 39,153 drive through

The public will be pleased and relieved that testing has been so hugely and successfully expanded. Which it has, however you counted.

The journalists desperate to pull apart the figures look evermore detached from the national mood.

"Minister, you say 400,000 troops successfully invaded Normandy on D Day, but isn't that just a terrible lie, and only 300,000 troops got on to the beach, while 100,000 are still waiting their turn in the boats?"
    Only sad morons will either believe it or be happy. AS per usual Tories do not like the truth being pointed out to them.
    Alternatively it looks pedantic.

It feels like a re-run of the 350m claim on the side of the bus. When the other side argued it was lower, all they proved to the general public was that it was still a huge amount.
  • Options

It will be fun.

Support the Union.
  • Options

The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

56,702-54,639= 2,063

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Jeezo, I know the BBC are far behind the SNP government in Scottish public trust, but will they do?

'On Thursday, a total of 4,661 tests were carried out.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-52495827
  • Options
    Supper beckons. Must cook.

Laterz.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I agree and disagree with that. Yes every single person who has died leaves behind a lot of sadness. On the other hand, you can't get bogged down otherwise you won't be able to do a proper analysis.

Of course and I was showing my irritation at the extent to which the debate and Government policy is being driven by lines on graphs derived from spreadsheets.

I don't believe the numbers - any numbers - from anywhere. We don't know how many people have or have had the virus and that includes those with the mildest of symptoms and those who show no symptoms at all.

Yet the daily death toll has become almost totemic or at the very least symbolic. The debate about how life adapts and responds to this virus in the medium and longer term is hardly happening. Between those terrified of leaving home and those who want everything back the way it was, those asking the difficult questions aren't getting any response or even a hearing.
  • Options

Barely have time to even read pb headers these days, yet alone the threads with their gazillion comments, but I thought you might like to know I'm currently sinking beer to banging CHOONS.

Have a good weekend all.

I hope Ms or Mr Choons enjoys their banging.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

56,702-54,639= 2,063

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I can't reply to that as the SG tweets to which Mr ex-Flashman refers are apparently nonexistent
    These non existent tweets?

• Options
    As of 2pm today, 56,702 people in Scotland have been tested for #coronavirus

45,058 confirmed negative
    11,654 positive

Not possible to provide numbers like that for England as we have no clue how many are "not yet known"
  • Options

I know footballers have a reputation of being thick and greedy, but this is the second footballer who appears to have bet on their own transfer...

Kieran Trippier charged with breaching FA betting rules when he left Spurs

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/01/kieran-trippier-charged-breaching-fa-betting-rules-spurs-aletico-madrid

I mean how stupid and greedy do you have to be to do this?

Talking hypothetically rather than about this particular case (because the individual may or may not be found to be at fault here,) someone committing a breach such as this could legitimately be described as greedy, but not necessarily stupid. It all depends on the size of the payout on the bet.

If it's considerably greater than the potential fine (which it probably will be) then you're still in the black. Thus, if all our hypothetical footballer cares about is money (and he doesn't consider any potential damage to his public image to have a significant bearing on the state of his finances,) then making the bet is a sensible decision. Best case you don't get caught and you make lots of and lots of money, worst case you are caught and fined and then you just make lots of money. Either way you're richer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    dixiedean said:

Doesn't look great for football .The PL meeting seems to have concluded it's more complicated than at first sight.

Seems fine if theyve not already thrown in the towel.
  • Options

It's a most curious argument that just because we've suffered one disaster, it's OK to impose another one on ourselves before we've recovered from the first, and with no time or resources for business to prepare for it. And even if you take the view that we should still leave the transition at the end of the year, that doesn't excuse the near-lunatic negotiating stance which the government seems to be engaged in, nor the reneging on the Irish protocol which they seem to be signalling.
    No it betrays your partisan nature to describe it as "a disaster" furthermore the timing could hardly be better.

It makes sense to have companies adapt and plan for a new world order post-Brexit and post-virus simultaneousy. Why adapt to one then realise your adaptations don't work for the other?

As for the negotiating stance it is entirely logical and consistent with what we always said. Unless the EU drops its stance that they have a right to harvest our natural resources the talks should be terminated next month.
  • Options
    eadric said:

That's when the impressive SNP hegemony might finally fall apart.

Massive, MASSIVE sense of déjà vu here.
  • Options

11,654 positive

Not possible to provide numbers like that for England as we have no clue how many are "not yet known"

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1256255822025428992
  • Options

It will be fun.

Support the Union.
    No.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    However, if we hadn't delayed the lockdown until 100,000 per day were being infected we wouldn't need to conduct 100,000 tests per day.
  • Options

Have a good weekend all.

That means you missed myself and Philip Thompson discussing in great detail all key aspects of the public finances over the last couple of days.

Ah well. There might be a repeat one day.
  • Options

Right I can announce I have absolutely smashed my target of getting 100,000 girlfriends today.

I am going to have to leave PB for today as although none of them have appeared yet i am going to have a very busy evening shagging them when they appear in the next 4 hours as they obvs will because they are confimed "girlfriends" for 1/5/20

Goodnight

You do realise the tests were sent by same day courier to people who requested them. So if 100,000 girls have requested you to shag them then good luck and fair play to you.
  • Options
    eadric said:

The fact that it's pound for pound probably the stupidest SLab (ex) pol putting it out there is possibly less comforting.
    At some point (presumably as late as possible) Sturgeon is going to have to level with her activists and supporters, and admit that indy is off the table for the foreseeable future.

In a world struggling through a Great Depression, and with countries running 10% deficits (what will Scotland's be, 20%?!) no nation could take the insane leap in the dark that is independence - especially without a currency or a central bank. Immediate bankruptcy would ensue.

Sturgeon knows this, smarter Nats know it, but her party will hate it.

No. They'll be in office continuously from now until independence. There is simply no plausible challenger nor any prospect of one.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

11,654 positive

How many have tested negative and how many have so far not tested either negative or positive.

We know over 40.000 are in that latter category from yesterday and likely at least that number from 28th and 29th combined but we dont really know because unlike Scotland we weren't prepared to wait for a negative or positive outcome before counting it
  • Options
    eadric said:

At some point (presumably as late as possible) Sturgeon is going to have to level with her activists and supporters, and admit that indy is off the table for the foreseeable future.

In a world struggling through a Great Depression, and with countries running 10% deficits (what will Scotland's be, 20%?!) no nation could take the insane leap in the dark that is independence - especially without a currency or a central bank. Immediate bankruptcy would ensue.

Sturgeon knows this, smarter Nats know it, but her party will hate it.

Yes the longer Sturgeon delays pushing independence, as May delayed delivering Brexit, the more likely she will face a Scottish style Brexit Party, a Scexit Party
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    eadric said:

eadric said:
    However, if we hadn't delayed the lockdown until 100,000 per day were being infected we wouldn't need to conduct 100,000 tests per day.
    Oh, aye. The government was late. The lack of PPE was bad. Why are the borders STILL open?

Lots of epic mistakes were made. One day the government must account for them. But right now, in the heat of battle, I am happy to applaud a successful cavalry charge against the enemy.

Incidentally, talking of PPE, last night I was going through my amazon history to find items, and I discovered that I made my first order for FFP2 masks on February 15th,

Feb 15th!!!

I was about a month ahead of the bloody government. How come I could see this coming and they didn't?! I'm an ageing drunk, FFS
    Have you donated said masks to the NHS, perchance?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

11,654 positive

How many have tested negative and how many have so far not tested either negative or positive.

We know over 40.000 are in that latter category from yesterday and likely at least that number from 28th and 29th combined but we dont really know because unlike Scotland we weren't prepared to wait for a negative or positive outcome before counting it
    I'm not sure what different that makes to the average punter? The tests will come back in a day or so when additional tests will be sent out.
  • Options
    New deaths reported today
    UK 739
    Spain 281
    Italy 269
    France 218

Three cheers for Hancock
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,374
    Apologies if already posted. David Icke has been kicked off facebook
  • Options

Goodnight

You do realise the tests were sent by same day courier to people who requested them. So if 100,000 girls have requested you to shag them then good luck and fair play to you.
    Shit and i have changed the sheets and everything
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

UK 739
    Spain 281
    Italy 269
    France 218

Three cheers for Hancock

That is disgusting post.
    You seem surprised
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    I see the ambulance chaser in chief has had a few shandies.
  • Options

Apologies if already posted. David Icke has been kicked off facebook

I blame the lizard people. It's a conspiracy.
  • Options

UK 739
    Spain 281
    Italy 269
    France 218

Three cheers for Hancock

That is disgusting post.
    He's clearly bitter.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

UK 739
    Spain 281
    Italy 269
    France 218

Three cheers for Hancock

You know John, not only is that a pretty piss poor post.

You must know you are not comparing countries at the same stage of the virus

So not only contemptible but dishonest

Bravo - no wonder you loved Corbyn's Labour.
This discussion has been closed.