Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the US levels of concern about the coronavirus are dependen

Comments

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
    As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

Seems very sensible to me
    Yes agree. Only people who are well should go to the doctors.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
    It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.
    Absolutely. We can extend it to all kinds of illnesses.

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
    No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

Have you always been this dense or have you just bumped your head or something?
    What is the percentage of people in the UK who have it?
    No one knows that you fucking cretin.
    So you are crapping yourself with no stats?

Figures.
    Apologies for swearing. I'm just trying to explain to you why it would be a bit of a bad idea for people with infectious deadly diseases, particularly deadly in the elderly, rocking up in surgeries predominantly filled with the elderly.

The second order issue, apart from infecting them all, is that the surgery will be shut for days whilst it gets a deep clean, thereby depriving everyone in that practice of their primary care.
    It's all good. This is an internet forum. A lot goes.

My point is that it is worse than normal flu but how much worse? Five times? Ten times? But without the Coronavirus people still go to the GP with flu.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right?

Yes, that's exactly right. Do that. And since IIRC you're in a leadership role in the company, maybe also good to send out an email telling everyone what you're doing and why, which makes it easier for other people who should be doing something similar to do something similar.

I’ve already told all my reports they can work from home. Most have chosen not to so far.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right? After being an utter dick by going to Israel it’s time to act responsibly.

Is it possible to live separately in the house? Different bed and bathroom, towels etc?

She needs to be taken to the bathroom, washed etc. I don’t do that - my wife and carers do, but I interact with them.

Fingers crossed.

Gulp!

• GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Endillion said:

I would like to announce that I am now heartily sick of the Bubonic Plague LARP Society / Black Death Reenactment Society that is camping the site, and would very much like to go back to arguing about Brexit constantly.

Get used to it baby. This is the only game in town for the next year.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right?

Yes, that's exactly right. Do that. And since IIRC you're in a leadership role in the company, maybe also good to send out an email telling everyone what you're doing and why, which makes it easier for other people who should be doing something similar to do something similar.

I’ve already told all my reports they can work from home. Most have chosen not to so far.

Often showing is better than telling...
    ukpaul said:

Frankly I resent being put in danger because the idiots among us can’t be trusted to do as they’re told. The tail is wagging a massive dog, here.

I know. Life is so unpredictable isn't it.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited March 2020

ukpaul said:

So, what does "moving to the delay stage" tomorrow mean ?

Closing schools, public events, promoting home working, and keeping your distance from each other

And washing your hands with soap and hot water for 20 seconds

Other edicts will come along no doubt
    Apparently, all of things but in a minor way because, again, doing it fully would have people ‘rebelling’ against it.

Apparently behavioural science has the upper hand over anything else in government.

You really couldn’t make it up.
    I think you are missing the length of time argument. It is all very well saying don't leave your house for a week or two.

You try three or four months.
    If it will save lives, I’m okay with that, I can do that.

People need to be educated now on how a matter of days can make a difference.

Let those who don’t agree prance around and put themselves in the firing line but don’t let them drag others down with them.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

Seems very sensible to me
    Yes agree. Only people who are well should go to the doctors.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.
    Absolutely. We can extend it to all kinds of illnesses.

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
    No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

Have you always been this dense or have you just bumped your head or something?
    What is the percentage of people in the UK who have it?
    No one knows that you fucking cretin.
    So you are crapping yourself with no stats?

Figures.
    Apologies for swearing. I'm just trying to explain to you why it would be a bit of a bad idea for people with infectious deadly diseases, particularly deadly in the elderly, rocking up in surgeries predominantly filled with the elderly.

The second order issue, apart from infecting them all, is that the surgery will be shut for days whilst it gets a deep clean, thereby depriving everyone in that practice of their primary care.
    It's all good. This is an internet forum. A lot goes.

My point is that it is worse than normal flu but how much worse? Five times? Ten times? But without the Coronavirus people still go to the GP with flu.
    Between 5 and 25 times worse than the flu, probably.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Endillion said:

I would like to announce that I am now heartily sick of the Bubonic Plague LARP Society / Black Death Reenactment Society that is camping the site, and would very much like to go back to arguing about Brexit constantly.

Brexit sounds like something from the late 19th century now.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

Brexiloon ! Elite liberal remoaner ! I'm moving to Canada / Scotland / Tunbridge Wells / the New Forest, anything to get away from you unpatriotic traitors / nazi fascists !

Showing starts now.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    In tribute to Max Von Sydow, I watched the Seventh Seal earlier. Perhaps I should have chosen another film :smile:

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Endillion said:

You sound positively gleeful at the prospect. Perhaps you should reflect on why that is.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

Newsnight: Professor John Ashton not massively keen on the government’s approach, to put it mildly

The problem is that if he was keen on the govts approach he probably wouldnt have got an invite to the show?
    Not really, given that last night they had an expert who was supporting it.
    Bloody experts. They aren't even consistent.

:D
    RobD said:

Newsnight: Professor John Ashton not massively keen on the government’s approach, to put it mildly

The problem is that if he was keen on the govts approach he probably wouldnt have got an invite to the show?

RobD said:

Well quite, hence why debate on here is welcome and the “shut up unless you are the CMO” posts are sanctimonious garbage.
    But by the same logic also making the 'The government must be do action x because y said so or it is a disgrace' stuff sanctimonious garbage.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Foxy said:

In tribute to Max Von Sydow, I watched the Seventh Seal earlier. Perhaps I should have chosen another film :smile:

Topical at least
    Alistair said:

Elizabeth Warren Is Unlikely to Endorse Bernie Sanders. Here’s Why.
    Though Ms. Warren and Mr. Sanders agree on many progressive issues, her campaign has highlighted a rift over how they build political coalitions. And she doesn’t think he can win.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-endorsement-bernie-sanders.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Bernie Bros on my twitter feed are fucking furious with Warren. They blame everything on her.

Personally I think they are angry with themselves. They could have got 80% of what they wanted if they had backed the Big Liz and instead they get nothing and deep down they know this.
    But, like Corbyn, they fell in love with the old grandpa with his twinkle.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Showing starts now.

My lot are working from home and not travelling. Had an all staff call this morning, felt like I was a somber old school newsreader reading out a declaration of war or some such mournful news.
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

You sound positively gleeful at the prospect. Perhaps you should reflect on why that is.
    Gallows humour.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    edited March 2020

Showing starts now.

Good move.

You weren’t here earlier but there were several testimonies that people’s companies were waiting for government advice to move to home-working.

If your teams can work at home, then have them do so. Why wait for government advice to do so (especially since home working is a normal practice anyway)?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

Feck. Away goals rule shouldn't count in extra time.

I thought that, but when you think about it maybe it is fair enough that they do.

The home team in the second leg get an extra half an hour at home. Lets say the teams are of identical ability, and home advantage is the same for both teams... so on a neutral ground, a 30 minute match would be 50/50

If we say home advantage makes the home team 66.6/33.3 favs to win extra time, then its fair enough for away goals to count double. So whether it is fair or not depends on the difference it makes to the chances of going through that the home side in the second leg get by having an extra half an hour to play in front of their fans.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Closing schools, public events, promoting home working, and keeping your distance from each other

Apparently, all of things but in a minor way because, again, doing it fully would have people ‘rebelling’ against it.

Apparently behavioural science has the upper hand over anything else in government.

I think you are missing the length of time argument. It is all very well saying don't leave your house for a week or two.

Let those who don’t agree prance around and put themselves in the firing line but don’t let them drag others down with them.
    Yes.

This is our World War 2. That much is now clear.

Life is going to be really quite a lot shittier for quite a while, maybe months, maybe years. But it is going to happen.

But what was World War 2 for the average citizen in the UK? It was a time of great inconvenience, and some fear, but for most - no more than that. They had to endure blackouts. And rationing. And boring austerity. And a lot of bombing in some cities, which was truly scary and horrific.

Thousands died..... but most didn't. Most were fine.

We will get through.
    Our Shanghai team are getting back to normal after six weeks. It was difficult and frustrating, but ok.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Everyone staying at home for three months will also cost lives.

There's a balancing act.

And its difficult enough to educate people on the need to wash their hands.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right? After being an utter dick by going to Israel it’s time to act responsibly.

Is it possible to live separately in the house? Different bed and bathroom, towels etc?

She needs to be taken to the bathroom, washed etc. I don’t do that - my wife and carers do, but I interact with them.

Fingers crossed.

Gulp!

I suspect weeks rather than months, but who knows?
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

He's just being honest. You are in denial.

We expect your Normalcy Bias Breakdown in the next 2-3 days.
    "We"? Have the voices not self-isolated?
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Well quite, hence why debate on here is welcome and the “shut up unless you are the CMO” posts are sanctimonious garbage.
    But by the same logic also making the 'The government must be do action x because y said so or it is a disgrace' stuff sanctimonious garbage.
    That’s not a parallel, no. You miss my point.

People should be at liberty to argue either view, citing whichever experts they like (or none).

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

As a precaution, I feel air conditioning should be switched off until we know more. I know I'm a stuck record on this. I am lucky enough not to be at risk, so it's not for me. But it makes sense really, even if it's just because the virus seems to prefer cooler temperatures. Anyone who is in control of an office or building where people congregate should look at this issue.

Switch HVAC off. Keep smoking fags. Pour bleach in your ears. Got it.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

Life is going to be really quite a lot shittier for quite a while, maybe months, maybe years. But it is going to happen.

But what was World War 2 for the average citizen in the UK? It was a time of great inconvenience, and some fear, but for most - no more than that. They had to endure blackouts. And rationing. And boring austerity. And a lot of bombing in some cities, which was truly scary and horrific.

We will get through.
    It does show how decadent life in the west is in 21st Century, that it is thought that the population can't sit in our homes for 12 weeks, despite having all sorts of entertainment devices.

It is hardly Steve McQueen going into the hole with only his baseball for 3 months.
  • Times tomorrow reporting all football will with immediate affect be behind closed doors

Times tomorrow reporting all football will with immediate affect be behind closed doors

I really think that the announcement at 7pm was supposed to be this stuff, but got pulled for some reason.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Times tomorrow reporting all football will with immediate affect be behind closed doors

I really think that the announcement at 7pm was supposed to be this stuff, but got pulled for some reason.
    I could buy it being a legal issue, as you suggested previously.
    Mail:

A star is born! After THAT Budget performance SIMON WALTERS asks could Rishi Sunak be Boris Johnson's successor?

Still available at 9. But DYOR
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    Brilliant. But get your agent to give it a second look. Could be over egging it a tadge.

Keep Sunak on front pages.

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Everyone staying at home for three months will also cost lives.

There's a balancing act.

And its difficult enough to educate people on the need to wash their hands.
    Dura_Ace said:

As a precaution, I feel air conditioning should be switched off until we know more. I know I'm a stuck record on this. I am lucky enough not to be at risk, so it's not for me. But it makes sense really, even if it's just because the virus seems to prefer cooler temperatures. Anyone who is in control of an office or building where people congregate should look at this issue.

Switch HVAC off. Keep smoking fags. Pour bleach in your ears. Got it.
    And

DON’T TALK ABOUT CORONAVIRUS
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

"How did you go bankrupt?" "Two ways: gradually, then suddenly." (Hemingway)

Normalcy bias is failing to realise that gradually turns into suddenly. We are at the tipping point.
    edited March 2020

Nah its much more than that. If that was the case, they would never had briefed to the press that there was a big announcement at 7pm.

These aren't normal times and all silly buggery like that has been suspended, well other than the press, who think doorstepping somebody with coronavirus is a good idea.
    RobD said:

I could buy it being a legal issue, as you suggested previously.
    I think it unlikely, the contest is years away. Plague permitting!

Nah its much more than that. If that was the case, they would never had briefed to the press that there was a big announcement at 7pm.
    What could it be otherwise though that would change between 7pm tonight and 5pm tomorrow?
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Normalcy bias is failing to realise that gradually turns into suddenly. We are at the tipping point.
    Do you expect to survive?

Okay. If they are doing that then ’soft’ quarantine from tomorrow perhaps? Home-working etc?
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    As the Americans say, the Greatest Generation got through. Are we up to it? No one under 80 basically has experienced what looks like happening.
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

What could it be otherwise though that would change between 7pm tonight and 5pm tomorrow?
    I don't know, perhaps they hadn't got something signed off as required in time. Perhaps somebody found some error in something or wanted a second opinion if an action was legal without a bill*. Even suspending all sporting events, I presume there is a load of things that needed to be processed.

And now it has been given the go ahead, as clearly they are now leaking it out that tomorrow stuff changes.

* And clearly they don't think the most draconian things are, because they are passing a bill on Monday.

Okay. If they are doing that then ’soft’ quarantine from tomorrow perhaps? Home-working etc?
    What happens to all those people on the Central Line when they close down the tube?
    Football screening in pubs banned according to the Times story

Sky/BT can show more than one game during 12pm and 5pm Saturday slots

Perfect opportunity to screen all the 3pm kick-offs.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

People should be at liberty to argue either view, citing whichever experts they like (or none).

Only ONE set of experts have the data and are modelling its spread.
  • FossFoss Posts: 694
    I wonder if they’ve been briefed on what Trump is going to say and they’re trying to get ahead of the curve and give the impression of control?

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    As the Americans say, the Greatest Generation got through. Are we up to it? No one under 80 basically has experienced what looks like happening.
    I'm still struggling to break through my normalcy bias. A large part of me can't believe that this isn't overblown, but then again 65m people are in total lockdown in a modern Western country.
  • Chameleon said:

Liverpool exit the Champions league !!!!!!!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foss said:

I wonder if they’ve been briefed on what Trump is going to say and they’re trying to get ahead of the curve and give the impression of control?

Surely the announcement would need to be before Trump's to give that impression?
    TOPPING said:

What happens to all those people on the Central Line when they close down the tube?
    Don’t think soft qua

Not going to happen according to the Times
    Crack open the english sparkling wine in No. 11. Headlines to die for. It is only down hill from now...

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1237873160990547968/photo/1
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    I'm still struggling to break through my normalcy bias. A large part of me can't believe that this isn't overblown, but then again 65m people are in total lockdown in a modern Western country.
    It is really hard to comprehend that shortly all the Western world will be locked down and under threat. Only those that lived through WWII will have any idea about this.

Chameleon said:

Liverpool are going to clinch the title behind closed doors!
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

OK, him I expect this sort of destructive nonsense from, but you're capable of better. I'm disappointed.

Sensible ideas, especially the first.
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I am under 60, and my life is such that if I self-isolated it would be like the Parker/Coolidge gag - how can they tell? So the clever money is on survival.

You?
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    Yeah, with you on all of that.

TOPPING said:

Don’t think soft qua

Not going to happen according to the Times
    Stupid decision. They already broadcast them live everywhere else, so no extra work.
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    I am losing track of the number of 'it's overblown by the press' comments I get from extended family and friends.

Apart from the one mate who has been on about buying a shotgun and heading to the woods for years.

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

A fair argument from you. And you are welcome to it. (I don’t necessarily disagree).
  • Chameleon said:

How ironic.

They wait 30 years to win the premier league and their fans will not be there
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I am under 60, and my life is such that if I self-isolated it would be like the Parker/Coolidge gag - how can they tell? So the clever money is on survival.

You?
    Yep. So that's you and me. But according to you it's everyone else that should be worried?
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    I think we're up to it. I wish it hadn't happened to us, but yes, we are still the same people. We have the right stuff.

Some of the stories of health workers in China are truly inspiring. They will be the front line in the West as they were in the East. The best that the rest of us can do is the obvious, give them less stress, stay home, don't get ill, take your vitamins, do the right exercise, cope with the solitude.

We face a social blackout, as our forefathers faced a literal blackout. But they endured, and we will too.
    What music do you think works best as a soundtrack to your posts?
    Something happened on the way to the revolution Bernie Sanders said would take him to victory in 2020. His people didn’t show up.

That only means one thing: The ballyhooed coalition of young and non-traditional voters that Sanders said would turn out all across the country in unprecedented numbers to agitate for free college, Medicare for All, and the Green New Deal . . . didn’t.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1237830166036054016
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

So who was absent from the front bench today for the budget?

Gavin Williamson? Gove? They weren't sitting to the right of the PM (in the direction of the Speaker). Can't see any photos showing anyone further left than Patel on the front bench
    Isn’t pretty well everyone further left ... ?

• FossFoss Posts: 694
    RobD said:

Foss said:

Surely the announcement would need to be before Trump's to give that impression?
    The majority of the population are asleep right now. As long as one of the first things they read in the morning is related the government stepping up measures then they can give the impression of continued situation management.
    Sanders == Corbyn.

Same crap about non voters and youngsters.

Something happened on the way to the revolution Bernie Sanders said would take him to victory in 2020. His people didn’t show up.

That only means one thing: The ballyhooed coalition of young and non-traditional voters that Sanders said would turn out all across the country in unprecedented numbers to agitate for free college, Medicare for All, and the Green New Deal . . . didn’t.

twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1237830166036054016

I am shocked that people are still shocked that those that never vote don't show up and vote.

Crack open the english sparkling wine in No. 11. Headlines to die for. It is only down hill from now...

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1237873160990547968/photo/1

I think I'd prefer a Dr MakeGood more than a Dr FeelGood.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Chameleon said:

How ironic.

They wait 30 years to win the premier league and their fans will not be there
    Judging by the PSG game, the fans will just be crowding the streets outside instead... will there be police orders to prevent such public gatherings by then? Can see this getting very messy.
    Nigelb said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

So who was absent from the front bench today for the budget?

Gavin Williamson? Gove? They weren't sitting to the right of the PM (in the direction of the Speaker). Can't see any photos showing anyone further left than Patel on the front bench
    Isn’t pretty well everyone further left ... ?

Yes, almost everyone in the world.
    TOPPING said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.
    I think we're up to it. I wish it hadn't happened to us, but yes, we are still the same people. We have the right stuff.

Some of the stories of health workers in China are truly inspiring. They will be the front line in the West as they were in the East. The best that the rest of us can do is the obvious, give them less stress, stay home, don't get ill, take your vitamins, do the right exercise, cope with the solitude.

We face a social blackout, as our forefathers faced a literal blackout. But they endured, and we will too.
    (There’ll Be Blue Birds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover

Obviosuly.
    Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

OK, him I expect this sort of destructive nonsense from, but you're capable of better. I'm disappointed.
    Balls. Now nothing much is happening, this time in a fortnight we will be like Lombardy is now: that looks like a tipping point to me. This is actually not an existential threat like WW2 (or at all), but it has the potential to be closer to that than to the nasty bout of flu which many, against all reason, are still telling themselves to expect.

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It is easy to model. The government experts are working on the same figures as the rest of us. Indeed the graphs on Newsnight look identical to those in the SAGE documents, or so I am told by friends in the know.

What we don't know is how high is the peak.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    Are only experts allowed to discuss coronavirus? Because if so there won't be many comments on a site like this. Most of us aren't experts on the subject.
    Foss said:

Different places are at different stages and with different capabilities, they will act differently at different times without it being a sign of a control or a lack of control in of itself. The mood music is clearly that we're approaching a new phase in progression and response, things are shortly to get more serious it seems, and whether that response is correct may be judged on many things, but timing in response to what other places, with different situations, are doing, doesn't seem like the biggest one.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

I think if you work from home and limit your trips out, combining that with careful sanitary controls when you do have to leave the house then you can be pretty confident of not bringing anything back for your Mother in Law.

For all this is a potentially terrible disease, it is avoidable fairly easily through a concerted effort not to contaminate yourself. Eadric is not going to catch this because he has a sensible level of paranoid terror. We may laugh at him on occasion but he is right that if everyone followed his example this would be a non issue. Then trouble is many people can't isolate. They do vital jobs that keep us alive and fed and safe. But like with any epidemic, you protect those who cannot protect themselves. If those of us who can work from home and avoid crowds do so then it makes it safer not just for us but for all those who have no choice but to take the risks.

I tend to regard it as a civic duty. I am helping myself at the cost of a small amount of inconvenience but more importantly I am helping everyone else by making sure I and my family can't be the ones who pas this thing on.
    Looking at the infection rate per million population:

Italy 206
    Norway 116
    Denmark 89
    Switzerland 75
    Sweden 50
    Spain 49
    France 35
    Netherlands 29
    Austria 27
    Belgium 27
    Germany 23
    Greece 10
    UK 7
    Portugal 6

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

We seem to have been lucky so far.

twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1237830166036054016

I am shocked that people are still shocked that those that never vote don't show up and vote.
    What shocks me is not that they dont show up in sufficient numbers, but that no matter how much it happens those who were banking on it quite often continue to act as though it was kind of a victory to win large numbers of such low or often non voting people as did show up.

Pleasant nights to all - decent sleep is very useful to us all.
    Wow. I mean wow.

Sanders now way out compared to Clinton to be nominee.
    IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Balls. Now nothing much is happening, this time in a fortnight we will be like Lombardy is now: that looks like a tipping point to me. This is actually not an existential threat like WW2 (or at all), but it has the potential to be closer to that than to the nasty bout of flu which many, against all reason, are still telling themselves to expect.
    That's more like it. On reflection, your previous comment sounded more dramatic at first glance than I now think it actually was.

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

Yes.

We will get through.

(There’ll Be Blue Birds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover

Obviosuly.
    Of course.

With Oti and Anton dancing to it.

Nite all. Not sure how many of you will be with us tomorrow. At least 70% I hope.
    The Mersey Derby behind closed doors.

Strange times.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

As a Spurs supporter I can only welcome this.
    I guess the betting is that if Biden falls under the virus, Clinton will be the nominee by acclamation at the conference.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It is easy to model. The government experts are working on the same figures as the rest of us. Indeed the graphs on Newsnight look identical to those in the SAGE documents, or so I am told by friends in the know.

Sure, it is easy to build a crappy model. It is much harder to build a good model with real predictive power.

The scientific advisors to the Government have access to much more detailed spatio-temporal data than we do.

They can model the emerging epidemic in a lot of detail. I would imagine that they have models for individual cities. based on the data in hand. They can probably estimate when Leicester will be under peak stress, which will be different to when Manchester and London will be.

And they can simulate all kinds of preventive measures, under different assumptions in the modelling.

I imagine that is underpinning their strategy.
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

You?
    Yep. So that's you and me. But according to you it's everyone else that should be worried?
    Are we only allowed to worry about our own personal cases? I don't expect personally to be dying in hospital for want of an ICU bed. I do (quite seriously, because I read accounts of Lombardy and I see no reason for things here to go differently) expect a non-zero number of other people to be. They could quite easily be people I know, cos I know a fair few octogenarians. Even if they are complete strangers to me, i'd rather it didn't happen to them. So I am worried.
    The hospitals ?
    The supermarkets ?
    The food factories ?
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Easy to say when it’s not your call.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sure, it is easy to build a crappy model. It is much harder to build a good model with real predictive power.

The scientific advisors to the Government have access to much more detailed spatio-temporal data than we do.

They can model the emerging epidemic in a lot of detail. I would imagine that they have models for individual cities. based on the data in hand. They can probably estimate when Leicester will be under peak stress, which will be different to when Manchester and London will be.

And they can simulate all kinds of preventive measures, under different assumptions in the modelling.

I imagine that is underpinning their strategy.
    The decisions are essentially political, and politicians are notoriously bad at science.
    edited March 2020
    Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I mean it is a huge step, but I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.

Yes I know we still need a certain level of production of essentials. As long as food and medicine is still available, the power / water / internet works, surely we can do this.

The initial Italian decision to keep bars and restaurants open was barmy. Hopefully the UK government aren't going to repeat this.

Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.
    Indeed, steer well clear of takeaways. I am increasingly unwilling to eat food prepared outside my household, or with cutlery that I didn't wash myself.
This discussion has been closed.