Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the US levels of concern about the coronavirus are dependen

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

So... we have a cleaner who comes in for a day every fortnight. She cleans a mass of different houses every fortnight. Can't stop her coming - she really needs the money.

But we really, really don't want to allow the virus into our house. I'm thinking I have to pay her the full whack to just stay away. For however long it takes. Is that being a) sensible b) paranoid?

I would suggest it is both sensible and the decent thing to do.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    eadric said:

So worrying local update of the evening. Just had our neighbour round who works as a nurse at the local GPs. They have no masks. They cannot get any masks and have no idea when they will get any. They are also running out of hand sanitiser because it keeps getting nicked.

Maybe eadric should donate some of his.

Fuck em. I got mine. Because I realised early.
    I just have soap. Lots of soap.

Candles are delivered tomorrow, along with two large bottles of gin.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

I haven't been feeling that well the last couple of days. Took a fair number of paracetamol yesterday and have to say I've felt a bit feverish today and now have a temperature.

Thought I'd better check the NHS coronavirus advice. As I haven't been in contact with anyone who has tested positive with the condition nor have I been abroad in the last 2 weeks, they aren't interested. No wonder there are so few cases in the UK!

Do I self isolate to be safe? How are we supposed to know if we have it? And can everyone take time off work on the basis that they 'might' have it? As it happens I'm on leave for 10 days anyway.

Sensible to keep to yourself for the time being. Good to remember that other respiratory illnesses still exist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    eadric said:

So worrying local update of the evening. Just had our neighbour round who works as a nurse at the local GPs. They have no masks. They cannot get any masks and have no idea when they will get any. They are also running out of hand sanitiser because it keeps getting nicked.

Fuck em. I got mine.
    Ah, yes, straight from Proverbs 11:25 :wink:
  • Options

Breaking:

Newsnight: tomorrow the virus advice changes to delay stage

I wonder if the 7pm announcement tonight was supposed to be that, but for some reason got delayed?
    Really looks that way.

I am so cynical that I think they have delayed the delay announcement by 24 hours to allow Sunak the headlines in tonight's papers.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    eadric said:

You are STEALING from those in real need...
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

So who was absent from the front bench today for the budget?

Mrs Foxy thought Raab looked unwell at the budget.

It would be both tragic and ironic if COBRA needed to be quarantined itself tommorow.
    For my own selfish perspective, I particularly hope that it isn't Raab as I was with him for some time on Friday!
    No. Raab has a heavy cold. He has been tested apparently.
  • Options
    eadric said:

It was a joke.

But then not sure you get the point that these are frontline NHS workers who could reasonably have expected to have masks at the surgery. Your answer illustrates you have very little basic human decency anyway.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

So... we have a cleaner who comes in for a day every fortnight. She cleans a mass of different houses every fortnight. Can't stop her coming - she really needs the money.

But we really, really don't want to allow the virus into our house. I'm thinking I have to pay her the full whack to just stay away. For however long it takes. Is that being a) sensible b) paranoid?

Very sensible.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020
    So what do we reckon? PM statement at 5ish to hit the news? Or middle of the day? Work/school stuff from Monday but impact on the weekend sport?
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

May I add my worrying anecdote?

Talking to the mother of one of my daughter's school friends earlier today. She told me how her older daughter had been due to travel to Madrid for a language exchange, but it turned out the mother of family her daughter was meant to stay with had tested positive for Corona virus. She went on to say that "we wouldn't have been bothered about our daughter staying with them, because children are fine, but the whole trip has been cancelled because schools in Spain have either closed/are about to close" (can't quite remember which).

This lady is an intelligent person, a solicitor, and still seems to be of the mindset that "it's a bit like 'flu".
  • Options

So what do we reckon? PM statement at 5ish to hit the news? Or middle of the day? Work/school stuff from Monday but impact on the weekend sport?

5pm I reckon.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Breaking:

Newsnight: tomorrow the virus advice changes to delay stage

I wonder if the 7pm announcement tonight was supposed to be that, but for some reason got delayed?
    Really looks that way.

I am so cynical that I think they have delayed the delay announcement by 24 hours to allow Sunak the headlines in tonight's papers.

I think there is something going on. They announced there was going to be some emergency bill on Monday, perhaps the legal advice told them they couldn't enact part of the plan and that through a spanner in the works.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

The plan may be to delay the main onset until summer, or gear up around that approach, but it's difficult to see how the government is making anything in particular happen at the moment with such a hands-off approach.

If the Cabinet is infected, things may get a bit more hands-on....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sensible. It will be out of your hands anyway soon enough; lockdown rules will prevent her from doing her job.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    eadric said:

Our plan loses a tremendous amount of credibility when we cannot even keep the key decision-makers safe. It's a farcical situation and shows the problem with not changing our mentality very early on.

Keep calm and carry on is just the worst brain-worm you can possibly have in this situation. Burn it from your collective minds you utter morons and do things you would never contemplate doing.

Exactly. As the ex-Italian prime minister said: Keep Calm and Carry On is excellent advice in a war, or when you are facing terrorism, but it is exactly the wrong advice when facing a pandemic.

At that point you have to Keep Calm but Change Your Behaviour Entirely. Do not carry on. Stay home. Work from home. Avoid your grandparents. Don't go to the pub. Etc.
    The problem is that they’re acting as though they are in control.

Of a virus.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I have the same issue. If I leave the flat for a rural bolthole, I will let the cleaner come (if she wants) and keep paying her.

If I stay I will also keep paying her, but she won't have to clean, I will do it myself.

I face two months of scrubbing and washing and hoovering. Oh well. This virus is very levelling. That is probably a good thing.
    Talk about first world problems.

Mind you I have stockpiled virgin olive oil.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    eadric said:

I have the same issue. If I leave the flat for a rural bolthole, I will let the cleaner come (if she wants) and keep paying her.

If I stay I will also keep paying her, but she won't have to clean, I will do it myself.

I face two months of scrubbing and washing and hoovering. Oh well. This virus is very levelling. That is probably a good thing.
    Are you wearing a mask every day?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Newsnight: Professor John Ashton not massively keen on the government’s approach, to put it mildly
  • Options

I would expect COBRA decision by lunch
  • Options
    So, Sunak...

Napoleon said bring me lucky generals.
  • Options
    I am have some personal training sessions that I have paid for and obviously not attending...I haven't work out if paying to not get shouted for several hours a week is better than doing them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Newsnight: Professor John Ashton not massively keen on the government’s approach, to put it mildly

Yes indeed...
  • Options
    The Chancellor sounds exactly like Will from The Inbetweeners
  • Options
    Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc
  • Options

About right for the BBC
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2020
    How tall is Rishi Sunak? He looks really short, which shouldn't be an impediment, but...
  • Options

Foxy said:

There seems to be nowhere near enough protective equipment to last in a proper outbreak, unless there is some hidden central supply. It is going to be russian roulette.
    There are/were flu stockpiles I think. E.g. The tamiflu stocks we keep replenishing because they go out of date.
    Are we using Tamiflu? Apparently there is some evidence that Chloroquinine is effective at reducing the viral impact
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    RobD said:

I haven't been feeling that well the last couple of days. Took a fair number of paracetamol yesterday and have to say I've felt a bit feverish today and now have a temperature.

Thought I'd better check the NHS coronavirus advice. As I haven't been in contact with anyone who has tested positive with the condition nor have I been abroad in the last 2 weeks, they aren't interested. No wonder there are so few cases in the UK!

Do I self isolate to be safe? How are we supposed to know if we have it? And can everyone take time off work on the basis that they 'might' have it? As it happens I'm on leave for 10 days anyway.

Sensible to keep to yourself for the time being. Good to remember that other respiratory illnesses still exist.
    I wonder if I should be telling work so they get a heads up? I don't usually get anything other than the common cold.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

It was a joke.

But then not sure you get the point that these are frontline NHS workers who could reasonably have expected to have masks at the surgery. Your answer illustrates you have very little basic human decency anyway.
    Mine was also a joke.

Tho it is true I do have an ample supply of masks, sanitiser, rubbing alcohol, etc. Because I realised about a month before the rest of you that this was going to happen. That is true.

Should I be blamed for having foresight? This is PB, we are meant to be forecasters.
    I wasn't criticising you for your hoarding. It was your 'fuck em' comment.

If it was a joke then fair enough apologies.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

How tall is Rishi Sunak? He looks really short.

The big news of the day here first.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/11/rishi-sunak-age-height-wife-net-worth-chancellor-budget-2020-12382154/

That's not short is it? Asking for a friend, who is me.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761

The problem is that if he was keen on the govts approach he probably wouldnt have got an invite to the show?
  • Options

Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
  • Options
    Sunak is 5ft 7 inches tall.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chameleon said:

How tall is Rishi Sunak? He looks really short, which shouldn't be an impediment, but...

5'7"
  • Options

RobD said:

I wonder if I should be telling work so they get a heads up? I don't usually get anything other than the common cold.
    Yes. Surely your employer will be understanding.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Talking to the mother of one of my daughter's school friends earlier today. She told me how her older daughter had been due to travel to Madrid for a language exchange, but it turned out the mother of family her daughter was meant to stay with had tested positive for Corona virus. She went on to say that "we wouldn't have been bothered about our daughter staying with them, because children are fine, but the whole trip has been cancelled because schools in Spain have either closed/are about to close" (can't quite remember which).

This lady is an intelligent person, a solicitor, and still seems to be of the mindset that "it's a bit like 'flu".
    I am coming in for a fair bit of stick from friends for cancelling meetings and changing plans. Trouble is you try to explain it simply in terms of concern for elderly relatives and they just don't seem to get it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/11/rishi-sunak-age-height-wife-net-worth-chancellor-budget-2020-12382154/

It is shortish. Especially when he is photographed next to whichever Minister it was that is over six foot.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    There is only one way of handling this situation and that is the scientific way. Our government is following the scientific way and therefore it is the only way.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Now I live in a locked down environment I can say it already feels odd - I’m supposed to be examining tomorrow but am now shifted to digital teaching only - by law our exams are oral so these students will have to wait - my research is frozen as it requires access to buildings that will be locked.

Our PM did a good press conference and I think she is doing a solid job - high praise from a Venstre voter. Emergency laws being passed tomorrow - the number of cases here in Denmark has overtaken the UK and is shooting up rapidly - the government here acted quicker than they thought they would need to but a lot of Danes go skiing in N Italy.

At 5pm today We got an email from HR “encourage your students to keep attending lectures but make sure there is lots of fresh air” - by 8:30 the PM was on TV telling students totravel home ASAP and by Friday at the latest - mega fiscal bombs being lobbed too
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
    As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

Seems very sensible to me
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right? After being an utter dick by going to Israel it’s time to act responsibly.
  • Options

LucyJones said:

I am coming in for a fair bit of stick from friends for cancelling meetings and changing plans. Trouble is you try to explain it simply in terms of concern for elderly relatives and they just don't seem to get it.
    I've had several conversations by phone today which left me thinking the person in question has their head in the sand.

@eadric and normalcy bias.
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

How is your hangover?

The answer is: sometimes. I have a large supply of anti-viral respirator masks, the 3M ones that do the job.

If I am just going for a solitary walk around the park, or with my wife, then I generally don't bother. I am unlikely to come in close contact with a carrier, or their vile aerosols.

If I expect closer contact: shopping, traveling etc, then yes, I wear one. They are not comfortable, but it is not for more than hour.

The reactions are intriguing. You still get some eye-rolls (oh my God what an over reaction) recently you get more of a Hmmm, or a worried frown.
    Fantastic. What an absolute bell-end. Can we please have some photographic evidence of your shopping trips. Weren't you about to go to Africa?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TOPPING said:

It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right? After being an utter dick by going to Israel it’s time to act responsibly.

Well, I would say work from home, however you have to think if you do this you will have to do so for the next 3 months minimum. No point doing it for a couple of weeks, then popping to London for a day and rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

5'7"
    Eeeek. That's very borderline for almost any photo.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.
    Absolutely. We can extend it to all kinds of illnesses.

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
  • Options

Foxy said:

There seems to be nowhere near enough protective equipment to last in a proper outbreak, unless there is some hidden central supply. It is going to be russian roulette.
    There are/were flu stockpiles I think. E.g. The tamiflu stocks we keep replenishing because they go out of date.
    Are we using Tamiflu? Apparently there is some evidence that Chloroquinine is effective at reducing the viral impact
    Tamiflu is ineffective against Coronavirus. There are theoretical reasons for chloroquine and a number of other drugs to be beneficial, but scanty real evidence.

I had a patient once, who as a young sergeant was landed at Calais in 1940, to counterattack Rommel's Panzers encircling Dunkirk*. They didn't have enough time to unload all their ammo, but went into action anyway. What is it that brings this to mind...

*He was evacuated and went on to fight in Greece and Desert Campaign, then came back to Leicester to make knitting machines.

• Options

TOPPING said:

As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

Yes agree. Only people who are well should go to the doctors.
  • Options

Well, I would say work from home, however you have to think if you do this you will have to do so for the next 3 months minimum. No point doing it for a couple of weeks, then popping to London for a day and rinse and repeat.
    Why? Its about reducing probabilities, he would still achieve that if he did have the occasional day in the office.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
    No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

Have you always been this dense or have you just bumped your head or something?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Seems like they are just making sure only people that have an appointment arrive. I don't think they are banning sick people (maybe if you have a cough...)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL)"

Actually this is a genuine story. But there you go.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

I'm 5ft 7 myself. Which is a little crap considering my younger brother is 6ft!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    eadric said:

You'll have to leave for the rural bolthole sharpish, if the lockdown is coming.

But, aren't you going to block the M4 with your juggernauts carrying toilet rolls and sanitisers and disinfectant and Chateauneuf-du-Pape?

You'll need all that hunkered down in the bolthole.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

What is the percentage of people in the UK who have it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

5'7"
    Only 2 inches shorter than the UK average.
  • Options

The problem is that if he was keen on the govts approach he probably wouldnt have got an invite to the show?
    Not really, given that last night they had an expert who was supporting it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    As a precaution, I feel air conditioning should be switched off until we know more. I know I'm a stuck record on this. I am lucky enough not to be at risk, so it's not for me. But it makes sense really, even if it's just because the virus seems to prefer cooler temperatures. Anyone who is in control of an office or building where people congregate should look at this issue.
  • Options

Bloody experts. They aren't even consistent.

:D
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

How is your hangover?

The answer is: sometimes. I have a large supply of anti-viral respirator masks, the 3M ones that do the job.

If I am just going for a solitary walk around the park, or with my wife, then I generally don't bother. I am unlikely to come in close contact with a carrier, or their vile aerosols.

If I expect closer contact: shopping, traveling etc, then yes, I wear one. They are not comfortable, but it is not for more than hour.

The reactions are intriguing. You still get some eye-rolls (oh my God what an over reaction) recently you get more of a Hmmm, or a worried frown.
    Fantastic. What an absolute bell-end. Can we please have some photographic evidence of your shopping trips. Weren't you about to go to Africa?
    Oh god, you're pissed again. Go to bed, you absolute twat
    I think we are experiencing a real time breakdown here as reality bites. Either that or he is just an absolute moron.
  • Options
    So, what does "moving to the delay stage" tomorrow mean ?

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL)"

Actually this is a genuine story. But there you go.
    I'm sure it is but you can see how it reads. A couple more anecdotes about your mates and @Eadric will never set foot in public again.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited March 2020

LucyJones said:

Well, yes. I think she thought I was worrying about nothing, even when I tried to explain her daughter would almost certainly be fine, but she might well go on to spread it to others who were much less likely to be "fine".

If people aren't understanding the implications of the virus spreading unchecked, they aren't going to take action to try and stop its spread.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No one knows that you fucking cretin.
  • Options

It means start your panic buying now, before everyone else does. :p
  • Options

Is it possible to live separately in the house? Different bed and bathroom, towels etc?

• Options

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

So who was absent from the front bench today for the budget?

Gove. Not seen him for a while.
    No , was at a committee at noon.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

We recognise that we can't track everyone who has it, so probably scale down resources on tracing that, and begin cancelling/banning large events and trying to get people to generally mix less. If fewer people are near fewer people then the infection will spread slower. That spreads out the cases over a longer period, so the peak number of cases is lower, and healthcare services can cope better.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So you are crapping yourself with no stats?

Figures.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I think Topping is having a Cheltenham-related mental breakdown

Post the pictures.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Foxy said:

Is it possible to live separately in the house? Different bed and bathroom, towels etc?

She needs to be taken to the bathroom, washed etc. I don’t do that - my wife and carers do, but I interact with them.

• Options
    Nandy on Newsnight.

She is a class act. Hopefully Starmer will put her right in the front line of his long march to power.
  • Options

Closing schools, public events, promoting home working, and keeping your distance from each other

And washing your hands with soap and hot water for 20 seconds

Other edicts will come along no doubt
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Watch "War of the Roses" 1989 with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

How is your hangover?

Oh god, you're pissed again. Go to bed, you absolute twat
    LOL. You are so worried about Coronavirus that you wear a mask some of the time.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Seems like they are just making sure only people that have an appointment arrive. I don't think they are banning sick people (maybe if you have a cough...)
    The important thing is that people can only get the appointment by going through the GP surgery's triage system; what they want to avoid is someone turning up out of the blue with coronavirus and then having to shut the place down for a deep clean (and potentially sending staff away to self-isolate). Potential coronavirus patients need to be directed to 111.
  • Options

Closing schools, public events, promoting home working, and keeping your distance from each other

Hopefully people are getting the message about washing hands by now!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

We recognise that we can't track everyone who has it, so probably scale down resources on tracing that, and begin cancelling/banning large events and trying to get people to generally mix less. If fewer people are near fewer people then the infection will spread slower. That spreads out the cases over a longer period, so the peak number of cases is lower, and healthcare services can cope better.
    Gold Cup day on Friday.
  • Options
    Is the number of politicians who have it weird? From 5 mins of googling:

8% of Iranian parliament including vice president, Nadine Dorries, unnamed cabinet minister, French culture minister, 5 French NA, leader of Italian Democratic Party, secretary general of Spanish Vox party, also 7 US congress members in self isolation

I know they meet a lot of people and are skewed elderly but that is weird?
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

The current Prime Minister, Chancellor, Home Secretary, Leader of the Opposition, Shadow Chancellor, Shadow Foreign Minister and Shadow Home Secretary are all 5'9" or shorter.

(couldn't confirm Raab's height but you might be able to fit him in as well)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So you are crapping yourself with no stats?

Figures.
    Apologies for swearing. I'm just trying to explain to you why it would be a bit of a bad idea for people with infectious deadly diseases, particularly deadly in the elderly, rocking up in surgeries predominantly filled with the elderly.

The second order issue, apart from infecting them all, is that the surgery will be shut for days whilst it gets a deep clean, thereby depriving everyone in that practice of their primary care.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I would like to announce that I am now heartily sick of the Bubonic Plague LARP Society / Black Death Reenactment Society that is camping the site, and would very much like to go back to arguing about Brexit constantly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Well quite, hence why debate on here is welcome and the “shut up unless you are the CMO” posts are sanctimonious garbage.
  • Options

Apparently, all of things but in a minor way because, again, doing it fully would have people ‘rebelling’ against it.

Apparently behavioural science has the upper hand over anything else in government.

You really couldn’t make it up.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Warren Is Unlikely to Endorse Bernie Sanders. Here’s Why.
    Though Ms. Warren and Mr. Sanders agree on many progressive issues, her campaign has highlighted a rift over how they build political coalitions. And she doesn’t think he can win.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-endorsement-bernie-sanders.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Probable school closures, urging people to work from home and banning gatherings of over "X" number of people.

If things get bad enough then we move on to curfews and lockdowns. We're not there yet.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Apparently, all of things but in a minor way because, again, doing it fully would have people ‘rebelling’ against it.

Apparently behavioural science has the upper hand over anything else in government.

You really couldn’t make it up.
    I think you are missing the length of time argument. It is all very well saying don't leave your house for a week or two.

You try three or four months.
  • Options

Foxy said:

She needs to be taken to the bathroom, washed etc. I don’t do that - my wife and carers do, but I interact with them.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I think it is mad betting wise that the Dems ar still (just) odds against for November.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

The current Prime Minister, Chancellor, Home Secretary, Leader of the Opposition, Shadow Chancellor, Shadow Foreign Minister and Shadow Home Secretary are all 5'9" or shorter.

Corbyn is much taller than 5’9” or are you assuming Starmer as Loto?
  • Options
    Frankly I resent being put in danger because the idiots among us can’t be trusted to do as they’re told. The tail is wagging a massive dog, here.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

I would like to announce that I am now heartily sick of the Bubonic Plague LARP Society / Black Death Reenactment Society that is camping the site, and would very much like to go back to arguing about Brexit constantly.

I did slip a Brexit reference in downthread ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

He's 5'7"

5'9" is average.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

The mother-in-law lives with us. She has dementia and is very frail. We cannot isolate ourselves from her. My thought is that I should now work from home and not travel to the office in London to reduce the chances of me getting infected and passing it on to her. Is that right?

Yes, that's exactly right. Do that. And since IIRC you're in a leadership role in the company, maybe also good to send out an email telling everyone what you're doing and why, which makes it easier for other people who should be doing something similar to do something similar.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Well quite, hence why debate on here is welcome and the “shut up unless you are the CMO” posts are sanctimonious garbage.
    John Ashton does not have the data and has not modelled it.

There will come a time when that can be done, and then the Government's policy can be examined and criticised. I am sure it will be.

But, in the absence of that, you either trust the scientists advising the Government or you trust some wallies on twitter.

Again, the scientists advising the Government are not doing it for fun. They are not political.

They are providing their services because they want to help. It is a terrible responsibility.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020

Elizabeth Warren Is Unlikely to Endorse Bernie Sanders. Here’s Why.
    Though Ms. Warren and Mr. Sanders agree on many progressive issues, her campaign has highlighted a rift over how they build political coalitions. And she doesn’t think he can win.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-endorsement-bernie-sanders.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Bernie Bros on my twitter feed are fucking furious with Warren. They blame everything on her.

Personally I think they are angry with themselves. They could have got 80% of what they wanted if they had backed the Big Liz and instead they get nothing and deep down they know this.
This discussion has been closed.