Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the US levels of concern about the coronavirus are dependen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the US levels of concern about the coronavirus are dependent and whether you are a Democrat or a Republican

I find the gap here qute extraordinary because it is no way replicated in the UK. That Republicans are that much less concerned suggests that Trump’s controversial apporach is being followed by many of his backers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    First in self-isolation?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 2020
    Second like Liverpool.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,239
    2nd like Trump in November.
  • Options
    This shows how through-the-looking-glass US has become. Totally divided.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    So what is Orange Man going to say this evening? I am off, run for your lives?
  • Options
    GOP voters will find that the virus doesn't ask for their voting record before killing them with massive lung failure.

To be blunt.
  • Options
    I wonder why the name of the minister isn't being revealed?
  • Options
    Liverpool = Spurs....
  • Options
    Well that's this season of Serie A buggered.

https://twitter.com/JamesHorncastle/status/1237861682417774592

I'm glad we're getting knocked out of the Champions League, don't want to get the Covid-19.
  • Options
    The president Jair Bolsonaro’s press secretary Fabio Wajngarten is one of them, according to the columnist Monica Bergamo. He was with Bolsonaro on last weekend’s US trip during which the Brazilian president dined with Donald Trump.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

First in self-isolation?

It wasn't long before some thoughtless interlopers ruined your self isolation programme.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited March 2020

Has there been polling of whether there is a similar effect here? I'd hope at the least it would be less, and I don't get the impression things have split in such a way and Mike says it is not replicated here, but would be good to be sure.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Bailouts for hotels and shale oil, "build a wall", "it will all be over by summer", "Bernie was robbed", "the Wuhan Flu response is as perfect as my letter", "ignore the Fake News".
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Everything is a wedge issue if you beat the partisan drum enough.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Feck. Away goals rule shouldn't count in extra time.
  • Options
    A teenager was sent home from school after being caught selling shots of hand sanitiser to his fellow pupils at 50p a go. His mother, Jenny Tompkins, from Leeds, posted a picture of him arriving home earlier after his entrepreneurial exploits at Dixons Unity Academy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-51843128

I am surprised he got any customers in Yorkshire at that price!
  • Options
    edited March 2020

A teenager was sent home from school after being caught selling shots of hand sanitiser to his fellow pupils at 50p a go. His mother, Jenny Tompkins, from Leeds, posted a picture of him arriving home earlier after his entrepreneurial exploits at Dixons Unity Academy.

Not a good day for entrepreneurs ;)
  • Options

Fake tan kills the virus. He was told by a witch doctor who has a decent handicap.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,996

Immigrants! Must be!!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951

The hand sanitser at my office reeks of vodka. It is only a matter of time before someone suggests doing shots of it...
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Come back Mignolet, all is forgiven.
  • Options

Kids are dumb. The price people would get for selling single cigarettes in schools was insane.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    The partisan split of views will drift away the more the American public learn about this virus.

They will universally revile that disgrace of a President.
  • Options

Cabinet minister BBC are now saying.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Newsnight is on in ten minutes or so. It’s been by far the best news programme since this crisis began. I’ve started watching it again!

BBC News and Sky have been very poor and polluted with pointless Joe Public VoxPops.
  • Options

Newsnight is on in ten minutes or so. It’s been by far the best news programme since this crisis began. I’ve started watching it again!

BBC News and Sky have been very poor and polluted with pointless Joe Public VoxPops.

There's VoxPops which aren't pointless?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    kyf_100 said:

The hand sanitser at my office reeks of vodka. It is only a matter of time before someone suggests doing shots of it...
    I spent a fair bit of time in hospitals over the years and I have always said that if they would just give me a shot of lime to go with it I would drink the lot. I love that smell.
  • Options

Which narrows it down further. Why not just reveal the name?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    So we have around 460 confirmed cases in the UK but it's spreading inside the inner Government of the country.

What a shitshow.
  • Options

Feck. Away goals rule shouldn't count in extra time.

It’s a kind of relief to see Liverpool going out, a great team and deserved champions but they will be unbearable enough winning the title, never mind the double!
  • Options

So we have around 460 confirmed cases in the UK but it's spreading inside the inner Government of the country.

What a shitshow.

Yes it is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337

Suggests it's someone senior, I'd think. But I imagine we'll know soon as they'll want to trace contacts.
  • Options

Presumably Dominic Raab. He's secretive enough not to want to tell judging by previous gagging orders.
  • Options
    Am I right that 9pm El Presidente time is 1am here? Or is it 2am?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,968

Presumably Dominic Raab. He's secretive enough not to want to tell judging by previous gagging orders.
    But they've already said he's been tested and doesn't have it. Not sure what there is to gain by speculating at this point.
  • Options
    Might be worth the government start wearing face masks?
  • Options

What a shitshow.

If someone was going to get it, makes sense it was someone in the ministry of health.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There's VoxPops which aren't pointless?
    My apologies for the tautology!
  • Options

Suggests it's someone senior, I'd think. But I imagine we'll know soon as they'll want to trace contacts.
    Well exactly, it will come out, why not just say now.
  • Options

A sense of drama?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Telegraph again talking about the government plan to flatten the curve / push it to summer. But the numbers we are seeing is it will really hit in the next week or so.
  • Options

What a shitshow.

It seems like a bizarre statistical freak that this should happen. Has Boris got it?
  • Options

Telegraph again talking about the government plan to flatten the curve / push it to summer. But the numbers we are seeing is it will really hit in the next week or so.

Wouldn't the rate have to massively increase for it to peak in the next week?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    kle4 said:

Has there been polling of whether there is a similar effect here? I'd hope at the least it would be less, and I don't get the impression things have split in such a way and Mike says it is not replicated here, but would be good to be sure.
    Yougov had some about a week and a half ago.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/s08s3tnmu3/Internal_Coronavirus_200302.pdf
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A sense of drama?
    I would prefer the drama just to come from Netflix thanks. Speaking of which, Osarks Season 3 in a couple of weeks.
  • Options

Depends upon whether the test is positive or negative surely?
  • Options

0100 at the moment because of the weird asymmetry of daylight saving. Every year I miss calls with the US because of it!
  • Options

What a shitshow.

It seems like a bizarre statistical freak that this should happen. Has Boris got it?
    Really is weird isn't it?

Boris didn't look too perky in the HoC either but apparently is refusing to take a test.

Didn't realise Raab is saying he's all clear after being tested.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    The plan may be to delay the main onset until summer, or gear up around that approach, but it's difficult to see how the government is making anything in particular happen at the moment with such a hands-off approach.
  • Options

What a shitshow.

Not really, especially given the number of people MPs and cabinet ministers meet.
  • Options

0100 at the moment because of the weird asymmetry of daylight saving. Every year I miss calls with the US because of it!
    Ta.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    eadric said:

Might be worth the government start wearing face masks?

It would be a good symbolic move. It would scare the public, as they need to be scared.
    "Fear will keep the local systems in line! Fear of this battle station virus!"
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    Reposted from old thread.

So, Codogno, the town of 15000 where the Italy outbreak originated, had its first day today of no new cases.

In the province, Lodi, we have had the 5th consecutive day of sub 10% increments, the 40% compound increase over those 5 days has taken the province's infection rate to around 0.45%.

This is why I cannot get my head around the idea of a 70% infection rate, it simply does not chime with what we are seeing, place-by-place, nor with how previous pandemics have scaled with time. So, if 70% is being bandied around, I'm really not seeing why? OK, 70% is possible and has been seen in flus and plagues, I get that, but this Coronavirus does not seem to be behaving like that kind of beastie, even if you allow that future pandemic waves will be bigger.

Equally, the cries of China must be lying, Iran must be lying are tiresome, bandied about with numbers that are so far out of whack with anything we have seen elsewhere as to be fantastical. OK, Iran could very well be underreporting, their public health response could be so continuingly poor that the numbers are multiples of what we are seeing in Europe. But the lurid made up stuff is just someone pulling a number out of the air like some Tiddler the Storytelling Pandemic Fish?

It is reasonable to ask why not 70%. I don't know. Could it be co-immunity from other strains - might explain kids' immunities, given they tend to be snot factories at the best of times, and in environments of large scale and rotating close mingling. Could it simply be the slower time to onward infection (5 days vs 1.5 for flu) meaning health measures can better keep apace with the somewhat gentler exponent. But it seems, from the evidence, that 70% really is not where we are heading on any sensible reading.

OK, it could be 70% over 10-20 years if this becomes nativised. But there will be a lot of tuning of health care responses, a lot of medical development, a lot of mutation of the virus in the meantime.

It's not just flu if you get it, the deadliness is greater, the chance of needing intensive care is greater - this ICU need appears to be the very crux of the challenge - but the spread - that is clearly less, and it can be used to peg back the whole public health challenge.onto, yes, a scale akin to a really bad flu season, if we do this well.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

So who was absent from the front bench today for the budget?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Up until now I have been confident with the government response. This evening, I am now starting to have major doubts.

Why aren't oldies being locked down. If we believe outside events are ok, why are we still hosting things like gigs. Sticking 1000 people in a confined hot sweaty space where they jump up and down with one another, sounds a terrible idea.

Also the weird claim from Hannock that 15 mins within 1m of somebody who is showing symptoms is when you are in danger, when all the academic literature published so people infectious before symptoms show and that you need to give people a much wider berth.

I think part of the issue here is that your objectives and the government's objectives are somewhat at cross-purposes here. I'm selfishly in favour of risk reduction for vulnerable groups because, surprise surprise, I'm in a vulnerable group. You're trying to do the same for your parents and I salute you for it, I'm convinced you're doing the right thing.

The government is more interested in balancing out a range of objectives - staying in control of messaging, repeating basic education until some of it starts to stick, not playing trump cards too early, trying to prevent public panic or crashing the economy, all while trying to limit the spread of the virus.

HMG's advisers are feeding HMG their best analysis of the (uncertain and contested) evidence so that HMG can best pursue HMG's objectives. But how much does that help me as an individual? Hancock may only be being fed a highly simplified summary of the expert assessment of the evidence, and a sensible communication strategy would seek to avoid too much hedging and nuance because the public are less likely to understand or pay attention to such a mixed message. So government statements might not represent the exact state of the science, but that's arguably how it should be. Moreover, if there's going to be a general social lockdown, they won't want all the details leaked, so statements in the run-up to one are likely to be at least partially disingenuous.

Does HMG possess top-quality expert advice on how individuals, particularly in high-risk groups, can reduce our risks? You bet. Clearly some protective actions are possible. What's the relative importance of disinfecting door handles, avoiding trips to the shops, avoiding public transport, avoiding the office, avoiding healthcare facilities, can loose food be contaminated by supermarket workers etc? Their eggheads will presumably have done a thorough analysis by now of what the science says about "cocooning". Are they going to share it with us? Only when it suits HMG's objectives to do so. In the meantime, those of us who want to reduce our risks or the risks to our loved ones are compelled to look elsewhere.

It doesn't require irrational cognitive dissonance to believe simultaneously that HMG and their advisers are taking a best-efforts, evidence-guided approach to their goals, yet also that us plebs shouldn't take on faith 100% of the words emanating from their mouths (particularly looking at you, Hancock) and that sensible precautions (especially for those in high-risk groups) may go some way beyond the extent of the current official advice.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

The BBC report says

"A cabinet minister is self-isolating while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

The minister, who the BBC is not naming, was tested on Thursday after coming into contact with health minister Nadine Dorries at a recent Downing Street reception".

Tested on Thursday but they still don't have the results? For a cabinet minister?
  • Options
    RobD said:

What a shitshow.

Not really, especially given the number of people MPs and cabinet ministers meet.
    Lol. It really is. There are only 450 odd cases in the UK. 2-3 of them are in government.

Lots of people meet lots of people.
  • Options

What a shitshow.

Really is weird isn't it?

Boris didn't look too perky in the HoC either but apparently is refusing to take a test.

Didn't realise Raab is saying he's all clear after being tested.
    I am not quite sure the statement said he refused to take the test, it was weirdly worded something along the lines of there was no need to take one (which doesn't rule out that he has).

You would hope that all VVIP are being tested regularly.
  • Options
    So worrying local update of the evening. Just had our neighbour round who works as a nurse at the local GPs. They have no masks. They cannot get any masks and have no idea when they will get any. They are also running out of hand sanitiser because it keeps getting nicked.

Maybe eadric should donate some of his.
  • Options

RobD said:

What a shitshow.

Lol. It really is. There are only 450 odd cases in the UK. 2-3 of them are in government.

Not confirmed to be positive, simply in isolation awaiting results.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    JohnO said:

The BBC report says

Mrs Foxy thought Raab looked unwell at the budget.

It would be both tragic and ironic if COBRA needed to be quarantined itself tommorow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

Tested on Thursday but they still don't have the results? For a cabinet minister?
    Yes, that's very very odd.
  • Options
    The Liberal Democrats have decided to cancel their spring conference in York this weekend due to coronavirus fears.

Will anybody notice?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Pro_Rata said:

Reposted from old thread.

So, Codogno, the town of 15000 where the Italy outbreak originated, had its first day today of no new cases.

In the province, Lodi, we have had the 5th consecutive day of sub 10% increments, the 40% compound increase over those 5 days has taken the province's infection rate to around 0.45%.

This is why I cannot get my head around the idea of a 70% infection rate, it simply does not chime with what we are seeing, place-by-place, nor with how previous pandemics have scaled with time. So, if 70% is being bandied around, I'm really not seeing why? OK, 70% is possible and has been seen in flus and plagues, I get that, but this Coronavirus does not seem to be behaving like that kind of beastie, even if you allow that future pandemic waves will be bigger.

Equally, the cries of China must be lying, Iran must be lying are tiresome, bandied about with numbers that are so far out of whack with anything we have seen elsewhere as to be fantastical. OK, Iran could very well be underreporting, their public health response could be so continuingly poor that the numbers are multiples of what we are seeing in Europe. But the lurid made up stuff is just someone pulling a number out of the air like some Tiddler the Storytelling Pandemic Fish?

It is reasonable to ask why not 70%. I don't know. Could it be co-immunity from other strains - might explain kids' immunities, given they tend to be snot factories at the best of times, and in environments of large scale and rotating close mingling. Could it simply be the slower time to onward infection (5 days vs 1.5 for flu) meaning health measures can better keep apace with the somewhat gentler exponent. But it seems, from the evidence, that 70% really is not where we are heading on any sensible reading.

OK, it could be 70% over 10-20 years if this becomes nativised. But there will be a lot of tuning of health care responses, a lot of medical development, a lot of mutation of the virus in the meantime.

It's not just flu if you get it, the deadliness is greater, the chance of needing intensive care is greater - this ICU need appears to be the very crux of the challenge - but the spread - that is clearly less, and it can be used to peg back the whole public health challenge.onto, yes, a scale akin to a really bad flu season, if we do this well.

The no new cases at the original epicentre for Europe in Codogno today do seem potentially very significant.

However I'm unconvinced that governments are well-co ordinated enough yet.
  • Options

RobD said:

What a shitshow.

Yeah, but they are definitely on the top end of that distribution. We already know the conduit was a health minister, who I am guessing picked it up while visiting a hospital. Not all that surprising.
  • Options

RobD said:

What a shitshow.

We have 1 of 450 odd confirmed cases within the government so far don't we?
  • Options
    Liverpool have to settle for only one trophy this year
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

It would be both tragic and ironic if COBRA needed to be quarantined itself tommorow.
    He's already been tested and it was negative.
  • Options

And the Club World Cup
  • Options
    Our plan loses a tremendous amount of credibility when we cannot even keep the key decision-makers safe. It's a farcical situation and shows the problem with not changing our mentality very early on.

Keep calm and carry on is just the worst brain-worm you can possibly have in this situation. Burn it from your collective minds you utter morons and do things you would never contemplate doing.
  • Options

And the Club World Cup
    I meant a real trophy
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

For my own selfish perspective, I particularly hope that it isn't Raab as I was with him for some time on Friday!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Well that match wasn’t worth staying up half the night to watch...

I guess we’ll just have to live with winning the Premier League this season.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Wouldn't the rate have to massively increase for it to peak in the next week?
    Kick off in the next week perhaps? Obviously it'll get worse before it gets better, and we've not reached full panic stations yet and I can see the panic ramping up next week or so - already people who were not mentioning it previously now are, and the jokes about self isolating whenever someone coughs have started, so that'll turn to non jokes pretty soon I expect.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well that match wasn’t worth staying up half the night to watch...

I guess we’ll just have to live with winning the Premier League this season.

Well unless it is all cancelled.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Breaking:

Newsnight: tomorrow the virus advice changes to delay stage
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    In addition to the unnamed cabinet minister, the junior health minister Ed Argar is also self-isolating after having dinner with Nadine Dorries on Thursday night, the Guardian understands.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

The BBC report says

Gavin Williamson? Gove? They weren't sitting to the right of the PM (in the direction of the Speaker). Can't see any photos showing anyone further left than Patel on the front bench
  • Options

And the Club World Cup
    I meant a real trophy
    More meaningful than the League Cup
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    We're moving to delay tomorrow. Newsnight has been so on top of this.
  • Options

Breaking:

Newsnight: tomorrow the virus advice changes to delay stage

I wonder if the 7pm announcement tonight was supposed to be that, but for some reason got delayed?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

So worrying local update of the evening. Just had our neighbour round who works as a nurse at the local GPs. They have no masks. They cannot get any masks and have no idea when they will get any. They are also running out of hand sanitiser because it keeps getting nicked.

There seems to be nowhere near enough protective equipment to last in a proper outbreak, unless there is some hidden central supply. It is going to be russian roulette.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yes unfortunately this is what happens when you have interactions with frontline staff in the NHS. They tell you the truth. Not bullshit from some political journalist/spad/crony/minister.

We've been told for 6 weeks that the NHS is extremely well prepared. But when you talk to frontline doctors they just flatly contradict that and say it is quite the opposite.

Black is white, up is down.

We are going to reap a whirlwind and no amount of pushing money around on the nation's financial accounts is going to stop that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    I find it difficult to believe that Hancock has not spent 15 minutes with Nadine in the past week.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    So... we have a cleaner who comes in for a day every fortnight. She cleans a mass of different houses every fortnight. Can't stop her coming - she really needs the money.

But we really, really don't want to allow the virus into our house. I'm thinking I have to pay her the full whack to just stay away. For however long it takes. Is that being a) sensible b) paranoid?

• Options
    JohnO said:

The BBC report says

Gove. Not seen him for a while.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

So... we have a cleaner who comes in for a day every fortnight. She cleans a mass of different houses every fortnight. Can't stop her coming - she really needs the money.

But we really, really don't want to allow the virus into our house. I'm thinking I have to pay her the full whack to just stay away. For however long it takes. Is that being a) sensible b) paranoid?

Just pay them not to come. It is the only sensible measure to distance yourself from anybody who circulates with lots of people.

Besides when we are all locked down soon, you will have plenty of time to clean your own home.
  • Options

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

Gove. Not seen him for a while.
    No, he was at a committee hearing earlier today.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There seems to be nowhere near enough protective equipment to last in a proper outbreak, unless there is some hidden central supply. It is going to be russian roulette.
    China helping Italy so maybe send some here as well
  • Options

I find it difficult to believe that Hancock has not spent 15 minutes with Nadine in the past week.

Nah. Cabinet Ministers don’t actually see the junior ministers that much; especially when busy.
  • Options

And the Club World Cup
    I meant a real trophy

And the Club World Cup
    I meant a real trophy
    Not really
  • Options

Yes unfortunately this is what happens when you have interactions with frontline staff in the NHS. They tell you the truth. Not bullshit from some political journalist/spad/crony/minister.

We've been told for 6 weeks that the NHS is extremely well prepared. But when you talk to frontline doctors they just flatly contradict that and I say it is quite the opposite.

We are going to reap a whirlwind and no amount of pushing money around on the nation's financial accounts is going to stop that.
    I would never have assumed we were well prepared. A few weeks of being told how prepared we are kind of falters against years of being told what a disaster the NHS is at normal times. I'm sure good work has and is being done, advice seems to be progressing in orderly, measured fashion in proportion to events, but as things get bigger I'd have no confidence in the NHS's ability to cope.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We really have to hope that China gets back to work and decides to cash in on this by ramping up production even further than they already have.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    JohnO said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

The BBC report says

For my own selfish perspective, I particularly hope that it isn't Raab as I was with him for some time on Friday!
    I did notice Raab coughing away during the budget.

Stay safe Lord JohnO
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2020

It is their Brexit. The Republicans are their "Leavers" assuring everyone that something will turn up and everything will be fine without defining any detail, and the Dems are their "Remainers" with their own Project Fear.

For once, the US is following our trends instead of the other way about.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There are/were flu stockpiles I think. E.g. The tamiflu stocks we keep replenishing because they go out of date.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We've been told for 6 weeks that the NHS is extremely well prepared. But when you talk to frontline doctors they just flatly contradict that and I say it is quite the opposite.

I would never have assumed we were well prepared. A few weeks of being told how prepared we are kind of falters against years of being told what a disaster the NHS is at normal times. I'm sure good work has and is being done, advice seems to be progressing in orderly, measured fashion in proportion to events, but as things get bigger I'd have no confidence in the NHS's ability to cope.
    If the NHS is fully prepared for a pandemic that infects 70% of the UK population and kills 1%, then it is wasting money at an alarming rate.
  • Options
    The UK health secretary said earlier that the prime minister, Boris Johnson, is due to chair a meeting of the government’s Cobra committee on Thursday. The Press Association is reporting that ministers are expected to decide at that meeting whether or not the UK’s coronavirus response should move on from the “containment” to the “delay” phase.

Reuters reports that the prime minister’s spokesman has said such a step is expected to be taken.

Moving to delay would mean social distancing measures could be brought in, such as restricting public gatherings, and more widespread advice to stay at home.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I haven't been feeling that well the last couple of days. Took a fair number of paracetamol yesterday and have to say I've felt a bit feverish today and now have a temperature.

Thought I'd better check the NHS coronavirus advice. As I haven't been in contact with anyone who has tested positive with the condition nor have I been abroad in the last 2 weeks, they aren't interested. No wonder there are so few cases in the UK!

Do I self isolate to be safe? How are we supposed to know if we have it? And can everyone take time off work on the basis that they 'might' have it? As it happens I'm on leave for 10 days anyway.
This discussion has been closed.