Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the US levels of concern about the coronavirus are dependen

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    TOPPING said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

So, what does "moving to the delay stage" tomorrow mean ?

Closing schools, public events, promoting home working, and keeping your distance from each other

And washing your hands with soap and hot water for 20 seconds

Other edicts will come along no doubt
    Apparently, all of things but in a minor way because, again, doing it fully would have people ‘rebelling’ against it.

Apparently behavioural science has the upper hand over anything else in government.

You really couldn’t make it up.
    I think you are missing the length of time argument. It is all very well saying don't leave your house for a week or two.

You try three or four months.
    If it will save lives, I’m okay with that, I can do that.

People need to be educated now on how a matter of days can make a difference.

Let those who don’t agree prance around and put themselves in the firing line but don’t let them drag others down with them.
    Yes.

This is our World War 2. That much is now clear.

Life is going to be really quite a lot shittier for quite a while, maybe months, maybe years. But it is going to happen.

But what was World War 2 for the average citizen in the UK? It was a time of great inconvenience, and some fear, but for most - no more than that. They had to endure blackouts. And rationing. And boring austerity. And a lot of bombing in some cities, which was truly scary and horrific.

Thousands died..... but most didn't. Most were fine.

We will get through.
    As the Americans say, the Greatest Generation got through. Are we up to it? No one under 80 basically has experienced what looks like happening.
    I think we're up to it. I wish it hadn't happened to us, but yes, we are still the same people. We have the right stuff.

Some of the stories of health workers in China are truly inspiring. They will be the front line in the West as they were in the East. The best that the rest of us can do is the obvious, give them less stress, stay home, don't get ill, take your vitamins, do the right exercise, cope with the solitude.

We face a social blackout, as our forefathers faced a literal blackout. But they endured, and we will too.
    What music do you think works best as a soundtrack to your posts?
    Chopin's Piano Sonata No 2.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
    As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

Seems very sensible to me
    Yes agree. Only people who are well should go to the doctors.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anecdote: my mates GP's now has a sign saying strictly no entry unless you have an appointment and the appointment phoning process involves questions on travel etc etc

Aside from "my mate's GP" (LOL) so are they banning people who might be ill from attending the GP surgery? Just a healthy people's place?
    It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.
    Absolutely. We can extend it to all kinds of illnesses.

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
    No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

Have you always been this dense or have you just bumped your head or something?
    What is the percentage of people in the UK who have it?
    No one knows that you fucking cretin.
    So you are crapping yourself with no stats?

Figures.
    Apologies for swearing. I'm just trying to explain to you why it would be a bit of a bad idea for people with infectious deadly diseases, particularly deadly in the elderly, rocking up in surgeries predominantly filled with the elderly.

The second order issue, apart from infecting them all, is that the surgery will be shut for days whilst it gets a deep clean, thereby depriving everyone in that practice of their primary care.
    It's all good. This is an internet forum. A lot goes.

My point is that it is worse than normal flu but how much worse? Five times? Ten times? But without the Coronavirus people still go to the GP with flu.
    I don't remember normal flu causing the near collapse of an Italian Health system before. And this is not just the UK. Italy, Denmark, Germany and Spain are all well ahead of us in terms of closing down public life. I am not saying that I think we are necessarily behind the curve. As I said I have faith in the Government advisors. But the idea this is anything like just normal flu would seem to be flying far in the face of all the evidence.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.
    Indeed, steer well clear of takeaways. I am increasingly unwilling to eat food prepared outside my household, or with cutlery that I didn't wash myself.
    There is square root of f##k all chance I will be eating anything that wasn't cooked by me and I won't be ordering raw loose food. Packaged and frozen veg / fruit only.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    Foxy said:

Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.
    Indeed, steer well clear of takeaways. I am increasingly unwilling to eat food prepared outside my household, or with cutlery that I didn't wash myself.
    Its been annoying as I received a load of McD's vouchers a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Foxy said:

"Indeed, steer well clear of takeaways."

This is why the government needs to effectively nationalise small businesses for a temporary period. No small business* should be allowed to go under from lack of demand during this crisis.

* except pangolin and bat sales.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

The decisions are essentially political, and politicians are notoriously bad at science.

That is why Boris has scientific advisors.

Honestly, I give up. This epidemic will be the subject of endless scrutiny in the years, in the decades to come. It is one of the most important events of our lives. The Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty, will be sweating spinal fluid to get this right. His reputation is on the line, just as much as Boris. He is not going to stand by, while Boris ignores his advice.

And Boris isn't going to ignore his advice.

There is too much at stake for both Boris and Chris, if they get this wrong.

Of all the things that could be happening, the most unlikely is that Whitty is saying one thing to Boris, and Boris is ignoring it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091

Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I mean it is a huge step, but I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.

Yes I know we still need a certain level of production of essentials. As long as food and medicine is still available, the power / water / internet works, surely we can do this.

The initial Italian decision to keep bars and restaurants open was barmy. Hopefully the UK government aren't going to repeat this.
    Some of us have managed to live without Starbucks and Deliveroo all their lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Again I find it quite bizarre the shock on people faces, when they say close everything. I mean it is a huge step, but I think we can all live without Starbucks or a Deliveroo takeaway for a few months.

Yes I know we still need a certain level of production of essentials. As long as food and medicine is still available, the power / water / internet works, surely we can do this.

The initial Italian decision to keep bars and restaurants open was barmy. Hopefully the UK government aren't going to repeat this.
    Some of us have managed to live without Starbucks and Deliveroo all their lives.
    The only time I have used Deliveroo is when my friends kids have been round and they appear to love the excitement of using the app. I can never get over the cost of using the service, but I always say to them you are going to pay with your money, you can use it, but you know if we didn't you could get more food.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As I posted earlier our surgery have closed their 8.00 - 10.00 sit and wait system and is banning everyone from calling at the surgery who has not telephoned in first and been triaged

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It's to stop morons who are keeping calm and carrying on rocking up with the virus and infecting all the old dears. Sensible stuff that one.

Are you ill? Well stay away from your GP so worried well morons can use up the appointments.
    No because that would be stupid. This is a highly infectious disease that is now a global pandemic.

Figures.
    Apologies for swearing. I'm just trying to explain to you why it would be a bit of a bad idea for people with infectious deadly diseases, particularly deadly in the elderly, rocking up in surgeries predominantly filled with the elderly.

The second order issue, apart from infecting them all, is that the surgery will be shut for days whilst it gets a deep clean, thereby depriving everyone in that practice of their primary care.

My point is that it is worse than normal flu but how much worse? Five times? Ten times? But without the Coronavirus people still go to the GP with flu.
    I don't remember normal flu causing the near collapse of an Italian Health system before. And this is not just the UK. Italy, Denmark, Germany and Spain are all well ahead of us in terms of closing down public life. I am not saying that I think we are necessarily behind the curve. As I said I have faith in the Government advisors. But the idea this is anything like just normal flu would seem to be flying far in the face of all the evidence.
    Can we finally bury the 'it's just like seasonal flu' thing once and for all please?

No one can still really hold that position who isn't totally ignorant of what is happening on the ground.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Foxy said:

"Indeed, steer well clear of takeaways."

This is why the government needs to effectively nationalise small businesses for a temporary period. No small business* should be allowed to go under from lack of demand during this crisis.

* except pangolin and bat sales.
    Plus vape shops. And London Estate Agents. Oh and anyone selling “bubble tea”.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The decisions are essentially political, and politicians are notoriously bad at science.

Honestly, I give up. This epidemic will be the subject of endless scrutiny in the years, in the decades to come. It is one of the most important events of our lives. The Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty, will be sweating spinal fluid to get this right. His reputation is on the line, just as much as Boris. He is not going to stand by, while Boris ignores his advice.

Of all the things that could be happening, the most unlikely is that Whitty is saying one thing to Boris, and Boris is ignoring it.
    Couldn’t agree more.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Figures.

Can we finally bury the 'it's just like seasonal flu' thing once and for all please?

No one can still really hold that position who isn't totally ignorant of what is happening on the ground.
    Well it is, if the human race had never encountered it before and there was no vaccine or drugs to treat it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Figures.

The only material thing I know about the Italian healthcare system is that their doctors get lawsuits in almost unbelievable quantities. I have no idea if their systems deal well or poorly with "typical" or slightly worse than average flu seasons (say a year when they get the vaccine wrong) but I also don't rightly know that I would be aware of it if they did go into meltdown on a regular basis.

I can certainly believe it's a regular occurrence, however.
  • Options
    Night all.

May your God go with you.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Foxy said:

There is square root of f##k all chance I will be eating anything that wasn't cooked by me and I won't be ordering raw loose food. Packaged and frozen veg / fruit only.
    Surely boiling/roasting veg will kill the virus?
  • Options
    Seems Australia are giving every household a cheque for $750.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Figures.

The thing about "it's just like seasonal flu" is that it's a mix of two misconceptions, the other of which being that most people severely underestimate just how nasty the actual influenza virus is.

If people's baselines for flu were in a more accurate place, "a somewhat worse version of that" might trigger a different reaction, even before we get on to arguing over exactly how much worse this is.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Foxy said:

Got to handle it first. And I don't really like baked Apple :-)

I am very much of the mind set, delivery arrive, anti-bac wipe all packing down, wash hands, put away.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Figures.

The thing about "it's just like seasonal flu" is that it's a mix of two misconceptions, the other of which being that most people severely underestimate just how nasty the actual influenza virus is.

If people's baselines for flu were in a more accurate place, "a somewhat worse version of that" might trigger a different reaction, even before we get on to arguing over exactly how much worse this is.
    It's curious that flu came to be used as a synonym for feeling under the weather when it's been responsible for several pandemics.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Foxy said:

I am touched by your faith in our elders and betters. It is rare to find nowadays.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Well my last header was my 100th on this site.

Which is of no interest to anyone but me.

Bastard virus is destroying not just our health and economy but our conversation too.

Ah well....

Night all. X
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Foxy said:

I am touched by your faith in our elders and betters. It is rare to find nowadays.

Just wait until the government finally realizes its policy is a huge, massively dangerous failure and announces that it'll be doing all the things it previously said were a bad idea. The faithful will undergo a flash of inspiration as bad becomes good and good becomes bad.

The government cannot be wrong, by definition.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Got to handle it first. And I don't really like baked Apple :-)

I am very much of the mind set, delivery arrive, anti-bac wipe all packing down, wash hands, put away.
    Milton fluid, as used in baby stabilizers, for 10 min, ensuring everything is below the surface, is the best way for loose items. Use a stronger dilution of 1 cap (30 ml) per litre of water.

The virus can only live for a couple of days on contaminated objects, so an alternative is to simply keep stuff for a while before preparing it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Bastard virus is destroying not just our health and economy but our conversation too.

Ah well....

Night all. X

I have only just got to it, but it is a subject worth revisiting once the virus has cleared.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682

Foxy said:

Just wait until the government finally realizes its policy is a huge, massively dangerous failure and announces that it'll be doing all the things it previously said were a bad idea. The faithful will undergo a flash of inspiration as bad becomes good and good becomes bad.
    Which "bad ideas"?

So far the only "bad idea" dismissed is "take it on the chin and get it over with" - other things have been "not yet" rather than "never".
  • Options

Foxy said:

Thing is I don't trust Boris as far as I can throw him. But in this instance it is clear he is listening to his scientific advisors and doing what they say. If you are saying that I as an individual should just ignore what those advisors say when I know bugger all about the subject but they have a lifetime of experience and all the data then really you are saying we should just make it up as we go along.

The Government is almost always wrong in some way. But given the choice between those who know what they are talking about and a collection of people I enjoy chatting with on the internet, I know which ones I would be putting my faith in.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ah well....

Night all. X

I did answer it Cyclefree. Pointed out about the CCA and RIPA.

But no one replied.....
  • Options
    For the "they are making it up as they go along" brigade - sneak peek.....they have a plan:

Business as usual
    7.4 During a pandemic, the Government will encourage those who are well to carry on with their normal daily lives for as long and as far as that is possible, whilst taking basic precautions to protect themselves from infection and lessen the risk of spreading influenza to others (see Chapter 4). The UK Government does not plan to close borders, stop mass gatherings or impose controls on public transport during any pandemic.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213717/dh_131040.pdf
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Foxy said:

So you’ve already decided that the pre-advertised (at the start) ramping up of the response will be a U-turn?

More than one thing can be true at once. Our Government’s response is led by world leading experts and is as good as any and better than most. Doesn’t mean other approaches aren’t valid but ours isn’t “wrong”.

One thing that definitely true is that very few of our opinions on here are relevant or useful. In these circumstances, like it or not, the best thing you can do is do as you are told and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Not long until we hear from the leader of the free world.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Foxy said:

Thing is I don't trust Boris as far as I can throw him. But in this instance it is clear he is listening to his scientific advisors and doing what they say. If you are saying that I as an individual should just ignore what those advisors say when I know bugger all about the subject but they have a lifetime of experience and all the data then really you are saying we should just make it up as we go along.

The Government is almost always wrong in some way. But given the choice between those who know what they are talking about and a collection of people I enjoy chatting with on the internet, I know which ones I would be putting my faith in.
    Yeah. This pretty neatly sums up my views. Whitty and Vallance are highly regarded, and while everyone will come to their own conclusions, I feel that W&V's conclusions are almost certainly in the top 0.1% to 1% in terms of what's best for the country.

The post mortem of this crisis will be fascinating. If this virus spreads as easily as is speculated, which I'm somewhat doubtful of, then some politician's legacies will be hundreds of thousands to millions of excess deaths. 600,000 US war deaths occurred across WWI, WWII, and Vietnam, at the moment it seems like Trump may be odds on to cause at least that many deaths.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    International travel, border restrictions and screening
    4.18 The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will issue advice regarding travel to affected countries. There are no plans to attempt to close borders in the event of an influenza pandemic. The UK generally has a high level of international connectivity, and so is likely to be one of the earlier countries to receive infectious individuals. Modelling suggests that imposing a 90% restriction on all air travel to the UK at the point a pandemic emerges would only delay the peak of a pandemic wave by one to two weeks. Even a 99.9% travel restriction might delay a pandemic wave by only two months. During 2009 it became clear that the pandemic virus had already spread widely before international authorities were alerted, suggesting that in any case the point of pandemic emergence had been missed by several weeks. The economic, political and social consequences of border closures would also be very substantial, including risks to the secure supply of food, pharmaceuticals and other supplies
  • Options
    I think China are taking the piss now...

Reuters reporting that there are 15 new infections in mainland China, eight of which are in Hubei. There have been 11 new deaths, ten of which were in Hubei.

Do we seriously believe that a country the size and population of China will only be seeing 15 new cases across the whole of the country.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Ah well....

Night all. X

But no one replied.....
    You did - and thank you.

• Options

Trump too.....

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wh
  • Options
    For anyone wondering, after 4 days of stalling at 4k we went up to 5k and 7.3k new cases on the past two days.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Old orange boy can barely keep his eyes open. Jesus, he's seriously struggling the breathe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited March 2020
    Comparison of Italy and Germany with the same number of cases:

When Italy had around 2,000 cases on 3rd March (as Germany has now), it had recorded 52 deaths. Germany has recorded 3.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20200303000625/https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options

Trump too.....

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wh
    It's a "foreign virus".
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Trump is having a breakdown, fighting back breaking into tears.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    It's all those beastly foreigners fault, but he still likes us!
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited March 2020
    Finally the Great One has found the courage to tell it like it is. It's all the EU's fault.
  • Options
    US suspends all travel from Europe to US for 30 days from Friday midnight, ex-UK (a bit unclear - maybe referring to goods)
  • Options
    Maybe there is a special relationship? I see no reason to exclude us.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Chameleon said:

Probably being sentimental about his Scottish mother.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

It's meant as a snub to the EU.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Bloody hell, why did he leave us out? Must European leaders must have been praying he did this before they had to do it themselves.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Does he not realise that we still have free movement around the EU?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Substantially lower infection rate (so far)?

IF they are smart they will ban travel of passengers from countries, (as others have done, especially China, Iran) rather than flights from countries - or we're going to see streams of Europeans going through Heathrow to get round the ban. Virgin's days of flying empty planes back & forth may be over.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

Bloody hell, why did he leave us out? Must European leaders must have been praying he did this before they had to do it themselves.
    We've got one of the lowest percentages of cases per capita.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Chameleon said:

It's meant as a snub to the EU.
    The irony is that he's probably protecting Europeans from infected Americans...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    OK so people who want to travel between the US and the rest of the EU now have to make a stop in the UK. Normally this would be welcome, but...
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

Cyclefree said:

Ah well....

Night all. X

But no one replied.....
    Thank you @Cyclefree! I too hope the virus comments are toned down. The micro blogs published on this site are always high quality and seem a little underappreciated by the general conversations. I hope the current plague bearers realise that not every microbiological nuance has to be explored and that by doing so they are removing some of the more interesting conversations that draw people here.

When I discovered this site I was and still am amazed by the depth of knowledge that people high in their professions provide for free. I feel that in their rush to examine the days issues, lengthy, well researched and pertinent works are being cast aside.

Stop it you shits!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

Enough to make you wish we had more cases.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    How long do you have to go back to find a period of 30 days when there was not a direct flight from Paris or Berlin to the US? Unprecedented.
  • Options

OK so people who want to travel between the US and the rest of the EU now have to make a stop in the UK. Normally this would be welcome, but...

Wonder if he thinks Ireland is part of the UK?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

Enough to make you wish we had more cases.
    I want to like this, but it feels wrong to do so. :p
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

Some people might think that indicates a low detection rate, rather than a low infection rate.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

The irony is that he's probably protecting Europeans from infected Americans...

At +40% per day, he's got 7 days before there are more cases in the US than Italy has now.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    To the person who off topic-ed my comment about comparing the situation when Germany and Italy both had/have 2,000 cases, would you mind explaining why you think that's an irrelevant comparison to make? Thanks.
  • Options
    That pangolin burger someone in Wuhan ate late last year better have been worth it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ah well....

Night all. X

Thanks for all your thread headers, cyclefree! Always a great read.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

To the person who off topic-ed my comment about comparing the situation when Germany and Italy both had/have 2,000 cases, would you mind explaining why you think that's an irrelevant comparison to make? Thanks.

Bizarrely, it was actually on topic!

(I wouldn't worry. Usually it's fat finger syndrome on the iPhone)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I'm sure HMG is getting the best scientific advice possible to achieve its goals at a time of great uncertainty: on stuff like testing strategy, if/when to tell people to stay at home, shutting down sport and concerts, or limiting inbound flights. And BoJo seems willing to follow, so I largely trust the "big calls" even if they aren't perfect in retrospect. There'll be some guesses - who knows how people will react to unprecedented lockdowns in a Western society - but they'll be very well-informed guesses. Perhaps the advice turns out correct, perhaps wrong, and quite possibly it's the best that could be made from current evidence but turns out sub-optimal in the light of what we'll know in a year's time. If so, then so be it. Even someone experienced and well-informed (as John Ashton is) isn't in a good position to second-guess the officials' advice.

Having said that, I'll reiterate "I'm sure HMG is getting the best scientific advice possible to achieve its goals". The likes of Ashton and Horton would, on a range of issues, prioritise health over economics or personal liberty to a greater extent than most politicians. If in power they'd have somewhat different goals to HMG, whose "balanced response" would be replaced by a more aggressive and even draconian one. I suspect their disagreement partly stems from differences in philosophy/priorities, as well as their interpretation of the evidence (presumably their focus is international comparisons, but that's tough with data comparability issues and whether interventions would translate to a UK context; they also can't see HMG's models).

In terms of HMG's handling of the pandemic, the execution of their decisions shows a few alarming signs (eg PPE/training for healthcare workers, lack of advice at airports). That doesn't undermine my trust in their advisers but does reduce my faith that their advice will be successfully implemented.

In terms of do I trust what HMG and their advisers are telling me then mostly, but not completely. Their comms policy has multiple objectives so deliberately (and quite correctly) they're going to sometimes prefer simple messages to complex, nuanced explanations of the evidence. On things they want to keep up their sleeves (eg future lockdowns) they're duty-bound to obfuscate. They won't tell me how to stay safe as possible if risk-minimisation advice is seen to "jump the gun" (too panic-inducing, distracts from the wash-hands, use-tissue messaging or whatever) of their strategy. Advice on travel to Italy was curiously tardy. Advice on work-from-home equivocal, even though just telling employers "it's a valid request for those with various health needs, please be supportive although we aren't saying all must work from home at this time" might have sufficed to trigger some firms into action. And VIPs right at the top end of HMG either haven't been given basic risk-minimisation precautions (despite some awful international precedents) or aren't following them.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    RobD said:

How long do you have to go back to find a period of 30 days when there was not a direct flight from Paris or Berlin to the US? Unprecedented.

1945?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

Some people might think that indicates a low detection rate, rather than a low infection rate.
    Doesn't the UK have one of the highest testing rates per capita?
  • Options
    Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson test positive for coronavirus in Australia
  • Options
    Tom Hanks has got the Coro. The movie of this pandemic is going to be wild.
  • Options
    Actually 2010, come to think of it
  • Options
    TimT said:

2010? What caused there to be no flights for that long.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

South Korea and the UK are being held up by medical critics of the Trump Administration as the way it should have been done here.
  • Options
    TimT said:

The volcano ash?
  • Options

Depends. If it's simply "suspend direct flights" then yes.

On the other hand if its "refuse entry to people to have been to countries in EU in last X days" (as other countries are doing to China, Iran, Korea - eg Australia) then no. Also American citizens not affected by this ban (as Australia on Australian citizens).
  • Options
    alex_ said:

TimT said:

The volcano ash?
    Yep. September 2001, I looked up at the skies over DC and saw no con trails and thought to myself, this will be the only time in my life that I'll see this. 2010, in Ljubljana, I said to myself "Well, I was wrong on that one"
  • Options
    TimT said:

alex_ said:

TimT said:

The volcano ash?
    Yep. September 2001, I looked up at the skies over DC and saw no con trails and thought to myself, this will be the only time in my life that I'll see this. 2010, in Ljubljana, I said to myself "Well, I was wrong on that one"
    Must have been very surreal. Was the 2010 ash for an entire month? I thought that was over quite quickly.
  • Options

But contracted where...? The real numbers in America must be absolutely horrendous. I can’t believe focussing on international travel to the US is what his experts are telling him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TimT said:

2010? What caused there to be no flights for that long.

You're right, it was not 30 days, but it felt like it stuck away from home ...
  • Options
    So that's what caused Hancock to pull out tonight.
  • Options
    Example of Australian travel restrictions:

Foreign nationals (excluding permanent residents of Australia) who have been in the following countries will not be allowed to enter Australia for 14 days from the time they have left or transited through:
    mainland China
    Iran
    Republic of Korea
    Italy.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

I don't think so. The UK has reported 1-2K test/day over the last 10 days for a total still below 30k.
    Our authorities were announcing a week ago that test capacities had been expanded by a couple of thousand to 12k/day (and possibly more since then). At the weekend an official claimed that they were well into six figure range in total.
  • Options
    The NBA has suspended the season, after players test positive for Coronavirus, according to US Twitter sources.
  • Options
    TimT said:

South Korea and the UK are being held up by medical critics of the Trump Administration as the way it should have been done here.

The first of those two is correct.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

I don't think so. The UK has reported 1-2K test/day over the last 10 days for a total still below 30k.
    Our authorities were announcing a week ago that test capacities had been expanded by a couple of thousand to 12k/day (and possibly more since then). At the weekend an official claimed that they were well into six figure range in total.
    Aren't you comparing apples and oranges there? Actual tests vs. capacity.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Avoid London lol
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

But contracted where...? The real numbers in America must be absolutely horrendous. I can’t believe focussing on international travel to the US is what his experts are telling him.
    They are not telling him that. But I feel that CDC have got this quite wrong, even as state health officials know precisely what is needed.

The CDC focus at first was on validating a single test that replicated the methodology of flu testing so that testing results would (1) be of high quality, (2) be standardized and hence directly comparable across each of the State's public health systems, and (3) be easy to scale as it would piggyback on the flu testing labs already accredited.

But then the test could not be validated outside of the CDC labs, and so everything fell behind schedule, there were not enough test kits and testing capacity was limited to CDC, so strict criteria on who should be tested were put in place, which then got interpreted every more strictly to the point that physicians simply find it next to impossible to get permission to get people tested. Frankly, some of the stories from the medical community sound like they are straight out of a Kafka novel.

Ironically, the meeting at the National Defense University tomorrow on the biosafety and biosecurity risks of COVID I was supposed to go to has been cancelled because of COVID.
  • Options

TimT said:

Do you apply the same level of contempt to other Govt responses in Europe as you do to the UK?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    NBA season suspended. Utah Jazz player that mocked coronavirus by touching every reporters' mike 48 hours ago has tested positive. Darwin awards potentially going to have a massive field to choose from.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Wilson (Hank's wife) was in LA on Feb 28 and in Australia early March - so depending on incubation period - could be either US or Oz.

Hanks has diabetes, which isn't a great start.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

NBA seasons suspended. Utah Jazz player that mocked coronavirus by touching every reporters' mike 48 hours ago has tested positive.

LOL. Hubris.

But seriously, it's everywhere in the US now.
  • Options

TimT said:

Other than South Korea, which country's response would you commend?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The Irish may be feeling a bit annoyed at not being included in Trump's exemption. (Unless they are and Trump didn't mention it).
  • Options
    alex_ said:

TimT said:

Do you apply the same level of contempt to other Govt responses in Europe as you do to the UK?
    Yes.

I'm just finding it hard to believe that eastern Asian countries seem have worked out how to keep the spread of this thing under control and their economies working at the same time, without coercion, much of it with simple, common-sense leadership, and the US and Europe have completed ignored what they've been doing for weeks, followed inevitably by huge, disruptive lock-downs when the numbers get to where the numbers were always projected to get to.

"Please consider cancelling events and large gatherings unless they are essential. Please work from home if practical". Why is this hard?

So dumb. So, so dumb.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

NBA seasons suspended. Utah Jazz player that mocked coronavirus by touching every reporters' mike 48 hours ago has tested positive.

LOL. Hubris.

Guess it's time to stop hanging out in Starbucks.
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

Chameleon said:

LOL. Hubris.

Guess it's time to stop hanging out in Starbucks.
    Good for your wallet, and your waistline.
  • Options
    Maybe Greta can find a Trump decision she approves of in this ...
This discussion has been closed.