Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The reports of high turnout might be down to the fact it’ll go

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Agreed, but given the reference was to Swinson we are talking Con/LD seats where Corbyn does not matter.

I thought the whole point of voting tactically for LibDems was to deny the Tories a majority. In which case the only alternative is getting Corbyn as PM.
    Logic failure, I think, Mr Rose. Another alternative is to deny an overall majority to both of them. If the Lib Dems do well today, and hold the balance of power, then neither the Tories nor Labour can run amok with their own pet - extremist - policies. This would be good for the country.
    I fear that denying an overall majority to both of them will pretty quickly end in us doing all this over again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

These are very specific numbers. Are they from the YouGov MRP or canvassing data ?!
    The first 3 are pretty close to the Yougov MRP (it shows a slightly bigger lead but it's still 3% or less), in Derby North though it's a massive 13% lead.

So it's either their own data or basic GotV BS.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Is that 'Dr. Eoin'? One of the biggest muppets in all of these islands.

I have a vague recollection of this chap, can you remind me of the background story?
  • Options

On reflection, this is quite a suit statement for election day. I’m not sure quite how well it will go down in a rural north Essex polling station:

I’ve got some footwear that will go well with that suit.
    Has anyone ever commented on your resemblance to Philip Larkin, Alistair?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

On reflection, this is quite a suit statement for election day. I’m not sure quite how well it will go down in a rural north Essex polling station:

I’ve got some footwear that will go well with that suit.
    Too much information and anyway I think you should help Ms Abbott first.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    MaxPB said:

What kind of bullshit is that, no kind of teller information will be able to get wins/losses correct to tens of votes.
    That's that idiot Dr Eoin Clarke who has blocked just about everybody.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979
    Still brisk?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,711
    Pulpstar said:

These are very specific numbers. Are they from the YouGov MRP or canvassing data ?!
    No he's just making things up as he goes along.
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

Took 4/1 on 70 - 80% turnout. Feeling hopefull at the moment.

I'd be happy to be sat with that bet.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

The weather must be a lot better where you are than it is for most of us, if anyone will be seeing what you're wearing beneath the waterproofs.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

speedy2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps from their own MRP that I have speculated that they have.
    Classic tell them it’s so close that their vote matters when you need to add a 0 on those figures to reflect the reality.
    Perhaps, but with the exception of Derby you could have made similar assumptions about votes just using yougov's MRP.
  • Options
    Just heard from my contact in a polling station in Wiltshire. Sounds a bit chaotic: fumbling with elector lists; rain-sodden old dears trudging around; station layout 'all wrong'; Presiding Officer's table 'like a jumble sale'. Turnout level undetermined.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Agreed, but given the reference was to Swinson we are talking Con/LD seats where Corbyn does not matter.

I thought the whole point of voting tactically for LibDems was to deny the Tories a majority. In which case the only alternative is getting Corbyn as PM.
    Logic failure, I think, Mr Rose. Another alternative is to deny an overall majority to both of them. If the Lib Dems do well today, and hold the balance of power, then neither the Tories nor Labour can run amok with their own pet - extremist - policies. This would be good for the country.
    I fear that denying an overall majority to both of them will pretty quickly end in us doing all this over again.
    That'd be ok if it was after Referendum 2.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    RobD said:

Still brisk?

Probably only in London.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

Is that 'Dr. Eoin'? One of the biggest muppets in all of these islands.

I have a vague recollection of this chap, can you remind me of the background story?
    He is (was) a librarian at a university in Northern Ireland, and used to have a blog that was obviously anti-Tory. Over the years has put out a large number of stories that were found to be false / extremely inaccurate and as a result had to make numerous apologises after having legal action taken against him.

If you think Guido is inaccurate, this guy was a totally different level.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Looking at all the turnout reports, turnout seems to be way up in London but not outside of London.

Beyond the M25 there is silence.

It could just be that people in London are more interested in telling everyone what they're doing compared to elsewhere.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232
    My son tells me lots of Labour activity in Portsmouth South.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    SunnyJim said:

argyllrs said:

Took 4/1 on 70 - 80% turnout. Feeling hopefull at the moment.

I'd be happy to be sat with that bet.
    If I had a load of spare money knocking about I'd put some on Tories to win most seats at 1.04. Haven't spare cash to lose should the unexpected happen and £100 would only net me £4 less commission
  • Options

NHS patient data for sale
    according to El Reg
    Talks to package millions of British medical records into a vast, commercially valuable database that may then be sold on are already underway between NHS England bosses and global giants
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/12/12/nhs_data_leak/

What a revolution for the NHS to have a database that actually made sense, huh.

And £10bn a year for it. Amazing. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options

He is (was) a librarian at a university in Northern Ireland, and used to have a blog that was obviously anti-Tory. Over the years has put out a large number of stories that were found to be false / extremely inaccurate and as a result had to make numerous apologises after having legal action taken against him.

Thanks for the memory jog.
  • Options

Standard uniform for a Labour canvasser I would have thought. Maybe that is why it might get you into trouble in rural north Essex.
    Is it a selfie or has he taken a fancy?
    I am genuinely sorry, but I don't understand your point.
    My Ma would say never explain a joke 'cos if you 'ave to it ain't a joke
  • Options
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Phil said:

Just had the LibDem get the vote out crowd come down the street in the driving rain. Fair play to them: they’re putting the work in. (OxWAB if anyone cares.)

eek said:

nico67 said:

Not sure the election itself was a mistake . The problem was the Lib Dems revoke position.

If the EU had really wanted to help stop Brexit they would have rolled the dice and not agreed a deal and then hoped against no deal in an election that Johnson would lose .

Everything changed once a deal was agreed . Because Ireland are very happy with that outcome the EU can rightly say they supported them and stood by what is a smallish country . No one can accuse the EU of not standing by one of their members .

People spent 6 months saying how Labour's policy of a second referendum after creating a plan were we to leave was impossible to sell.

The Lib Dems went for a simple approach but it failed as soon as the election moved away from Brexit.
    Labour's position on Brexit could have been easier to sell if the LibDems had been selling it too. Park Brexit as an issue between Labour and the LibDems, allowing the LibDems to savage Labour on its funny money manifesto pledges. Both aspects would have had more chance of attracting Tories.
    If Swinson was targeting Tory votes then I think her constant personal attacks on BoJo was a mistake as well. BoJo may well have personal flaws but he is in the Tory Tribe and attack on BoJo is an attack on the Tory Tribe which means ranks will be closed.
    May be true of a few, but especially amongst the older group there is a lot more time for Heseltine and Major than Johnson.
    That may be true in your bubble but it certainly isn't in mine, particularly with regard to Heseltine (who in my personal opinion is King Tosser). Doesn't mean any of them are particularly well regarded
    Heseltine is a colossus. Johnson is a pigmy.
    Each to his own - I remember Westland
    I also recall Westland. Heseltine resigned on principle as he disagreed with Thatcher selling out to the Americans. So unlike dear Bo - who was sacked by Howard for lying.
    You think Heseltine is principled? 🤣
    Not usually, but he certainly came out of that episode with more credibility than Thatcher or Brittan (and infinitely more than Boris has).
    Not ever.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

That'd be ok if it was after Referendum 2.
    I reckon it would be February. Labour and the Tories would both think they had a chance of getting a majority with 'one more push' and so neither would have an incentive to give the LibDems the pleasure of 'the balance of power'.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

speedy2 said:

Looking at all the turnout reports, turnout seems to be way up in London but not outside of London.

It could just be that people in London are more interested in telling everyone what they're doing compared to elsewhere.
    Well that's true of far more than just voting activity!
  • Options

There was a nice anti-Boris banner on a bridge over the Central Motorway in Newcastle this morning. 👍

They painted over the hilarious one on the M4 junction with the M32. I thought it was funny, but not enough to remember what it said.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

nichomar said:

speedy2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps from their own MRP that I have speculated that they have.
    Classic tell them it’s so close that their vote matters when you need to add a 0 on those figures to reflect the reality.
    Perhaps, but with the exception of Derby you could have made similar assumptions about votes just using yougov's MRP.
    Presumably the poster is talking about Derby N and Stockton S. If he is talking about Derby S and Stockton N....
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Beyond the M25? What is this mythical land of dragons and Brexit of which you speak? Are we even sure that it exists?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Slightly off topic but, in the light of my header the other day about the Uighur Muslims - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/09/lets-talk-about-islamophobia/ this article - https://unherd.com/2019/12/how-china-enables-rohingya-genocide/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3 - is worth reading.

On topic, the polling station I voted at had 4 people in it and another one I went into was totally empty.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

There was a nice anti-Boris banner on a bridge over the Central Motorway in Newcastle this morning. 👍

That's five years of pot-holes not getting fixed in Newcastle then.

That should larn 'em.....
  • Options
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

I also recall Westland. Heseltine resigned on principle as he disagreed with Thatcher selling out to the Americans. So unlike dear Bo - who was sacked by Howard for lying.

Heseltine has no principles beyond fanatical Europhilia.
    If the facts disagree with your opinion just spout hot air? Is that your principle?
    What facts? Your postings are fact free zones.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

We’re used to it.
  • Options
    I am going to whisper this... but has anyone here done any work today?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

I’ve had my haircut. Does that count?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

speedy2 said:

Or maybe tonight London is just one big Christmas party.....
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Nope. The endless need to refresh twitter and this site to receive anecdotal polling experiences is distracting me too much.
  • Options
    Wandsworth Council which covers the Labour marginal of Battersea, the Tory marginal of Putney, and the safe Labour seat of Tooting, confirms that “unprecedented numbers” of people were voting this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/12/general-election-2019-uk-polling-day-live-news?page=with:block-5df2565a8f08b5e670042b5e#block-5df2565a8f08b5e670042b5e
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, yes.
  • Options

Now's the perfect time for a strategic kip.
  • Options

Not since I set cover work this morning, unless getting a blood test counts. I have been unexpectedly signed off school for two day.
  • Options

That is still more productive than I have been.
  • Options

I've written one email!
  • Options

Wandsworth Council which covers the Labour marginal of Battersea, the Tory marginal of Putney, and the safe Labour seat of Tooting, confirms that “unprecedented numbers” of people were voting this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/12/general-election-2019-uk-polling-day-live-news?page=with:block-5df2565a8f08b5e670042b5e#block-5df2565a8f08b5e670042b5e

Tooting already had a very high turnout last time of about 75%.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791

NHS patient data for sale
    according to El Reg
    Talks to package millions of British medical records into a vast, commercially valuable database that may then be sold on are already underway between NHS England bosses and global giants
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/12/12/nhs_data_leak/

What a revolution for the NHS to have a database that actually made sense, huh.

And £10bn a year for it. Amazing. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Sick people will need a lot of branded drugs...
  • Options

Well, they could have all been getting it out of the way early. Who knows?
  • Options

Only if you did it yourself with Ronco Home Hair-clippers.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Why weren't these people voting when Corbyn surged unexpectedly in 2017?
  • Options

Yes! But it is difficult to concentrate for sure. Luckily following the election obsessively is also part of my job, only downside is I will have to follow it all tonight completely sober...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Battersea, Putney and Tooting for Labour, I think.

Whither Wales ? One report, from Port Talbot, so far, which sounded vaguely BXP/Boris-ish favourable.
  • Options
    How far away from a polling station do you have to be to be allowed to handout political leaflets? There is some video this morning of Labour campaigners handing out vote Faiza Shaheen leaflets to people going in to vote at the entrance to a polling station in Redbridge.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

We’re used to it.
    Wot, not larnin'?
  • Options

Sore loser much?

twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1205100602025545730?s=21

I am still annoyed it wasn't Baby Yoda....
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688
    TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

With the same leaders, would you say?
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

speedy2 said:

Well that's true of far more than just voting activity!
    They'll be sending you pictures of their dinner next....

If you're lucky, that's all.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

All of them were.
  • Options

How far away from a polling station do you have to be to be allowed to handout political leaflets? There is some video this morning of Labour campaigners handing out vote Faiza Shaheen leaflets to people going in to vote at the entrance to a polling station in Redbridge.

If Labour are worried about losing there, they're in deep shit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited December 2019
    Boris Johnson will be delighted, another rootless cosmopolitan migrant is denied the vote.

https://twitter.com/amandinegarde/status/1205104516858875904?s=21
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

He was instrumental in driving conspiracy theories about NHS Privatisation.

I compiled a few of them at Anna Raccoons. Here is Virgin Care (https://annaraccoon.com/2013/01/13/the-many-apologies-of-dr-eoin-clarke-phd-plnkr-bf/):

"12 November 2012, An apology to Virgin Care for inaccurate articles I have written and published

An apology to Virgin Care given by Dr Eoin Clarke

I, Dr Eoin Clarke, apologise wholly and unreservedly to Virgin Care, its employees, subsidiaries and service users, as well as my readers, for writing over 46 blog entries that contained false, inaccurate and defamatory statements. In light of this, I have decided to remove all of the articles from the internet and shall not publish them again. I sincerely regret this error of judgment and request that my readers take the time to reflect and reconsider any opinions they have formed as a result of reading my blog.

Following a review of The Green Benches, I have decided that from now onwards each entry about Virgin Care or its services shall be thoroughly researched before it is posted on my blog to ensure the accuracy of any claims I make.

For the record, in the course of writing I have regretfully made a number of statements about Virgin Care and its services that are incorrect and misleading. In response to some of my more serious mistakes, I have decided to list the following facts in an attempt to ensure my readers are better informed.

1. Virgin Care does NOT put profit before patient care. Virgin Care has been instrumental in helping to strengthen the NHS by providing high quality services that are valued by patients and improve health outcomes, whilst saving the taxpayer money.

2. The CQC has NOT reported that Virgin Care leaves patients lying in urine.

3. The CQC has NOT reported that Virgin Care put lives at risk in Croydon.

4. Virgin Care is NOT a tax avoider.

5. Virgin Care does NOT have hundreds of “sleeper cells” in Clinical Commissioning Groups. As such, any claim I have made that Virgin Care represents the biggest conflict of interest in the history of the NHS is INCORRECT.

6. Virgin Care has NOT made donations to a political party.

7. Virgin Care has NOT introduced charges for NHS services or limited the number of free physiotherapy sessions it offers.

8. Virgin Care does NOT sack staff with impunity and is bound by the same employment rules and regulations that apply to any company.

9. Virgin Care has NOT taken the NHS to court. A complaint was made by Virgin Care to the Cooperation & Competition Panel which is NOT the same as court proceedings. It is used by many organisations to review decisions made by the NHS.

10. Six months into Virgin Care’s community services contract in Surrey, there are NOT severe patient-safety and financial concerns.
    "

The definition of pillock.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited December 2019

250 meters radius (of main entrance)
  • Options

I assume you got that suit in a sale
  • Options

I've written one email!
    It is a bit silly really being as LauraK. gave us the result yesterday. I really need to do something more productive. On-line shopping maybe?
  • Options
    A little bit of weakness in GBP vs USD/EUR but well within a normal days trading range.

If the exit poll shows a HP there will an almighty plunge.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Heseltine has no principles beyond fanatical Europhilia.
    If the facts disagree with your opinion just spout hot air? Is that your principle?
    What facts? Your postings are fact free zones.
    Are you a complete idiot or is it just an act? Heseltine resigned over Westland because Thatcher wanted to gift it to Sikorsky. He resigned - he was not sacked (unlike Boris by Howard). Brittan was then (effectively) sacked (although it was presented as a resignation) for what amounted to misleading the Commons over his manouevreing against Heseltine's preferred solution as Defence Minister.

What do you not undertsand about the facts? How can this make Heseltine less principled than Boris (which was the original claim by another nutter)?

I have respect for most posters on this site, including those with whom I may disagree, but such an approach as yours loses all right to respect.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

All of them were.
    Turnout was 150% in most of the Tower Hamlets homes.
  • Options

Sore loser much?

twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1205100602025545730?s=21

I am still annoyed it wasn't Baby Yoda....
    Me too.

I love Baby Yoda so much I would use Baby Groot as firewood just to keep Baby Yoda warm.
  • Options

I've written one email!
    I work with my wife and have to keep popping out and making excuses to get out the back of our shop , I done bugger all today just have to keep refreshing PB . It’s like being on drugs 😀
  • Options
    ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Good question! I'd say Corbyn would stay in those circumstances, Boris would be quickly and quietly replaced by the Saj (or equivalent) and Jo - if the LibDems do well as posited in the earlier question - then she'll be around as well. If the LibDems are sub-20 I think Jo will be gone by about this time tomorrow.
  • Options

Boris Johnson will be delighted, another rootless cosmopolitan migrant is denied the vote.

Voter registration *card*?
  • Options

I have... but it's been intermittent. Working from home, quoting print jobs.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    edited December 2019

Outside "a circle with a radius of 250 metres from the main entrance of a polling station."
  • Options

Don't feel bad. She's half French.

(for the avoidance of doubt, that was a joke :D )
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Is it worth pointing out that many people in prosperous boroughs like Putney and Battersea work in industries Corbs wants to see the back of?

Y'know finance, oil and gas, hedge funds, fintech and the like?

Probably not
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    SunnyJim said:

A little bit of weakness in GBP vs USD/EUR but well within a normal days trading range.

Well quite. Tory remainers are the only ones who give a stuff about the pound it seems !
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Andy_JS said:

All of them were.
    A lower than expected turnout then?
  • Options
    Greta Thunberg and Donald Trump have a similar effect on me. I find, despite their apparent polar opposite views that they are both massively irritating. It similar to Bozo and Corbyn. That said if I had to chose to go for a beer with any of them (tho definately not Greta that would be a bit weird), I would have to chose Bozo, as his insincere bonhomie could at least be entertaining. Couldn't vote for the silly arse though.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Is it worth pointing out that many people in prosperous boroughs like Putney and Battersea work in industries Corbs wants to see the back of?

Y'know finance, oil and gas, hedge funds, fintech and the like?

Probably not

You could probably say similar about parts of North London and Oxford with the traditional strong Labour vote, though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Reactions from Tory PBers if exit poll says 'Labour largest party'.................
  • Options
    Jason said:

Reactions from Tory PBers if exit poll says 'Labour largest party'.................

:o
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Good question! I'd say Corbyn would stay in those circumstances, Boris would be quickly and quietly replaced by the Saj (or equivalent) and Jo - if the LibDems do well as posited in the earlier question - then she'll be around as well. If the LibDems are sub-20 I think Jo will be gone by about this time tomorrow.
    Has the Saj been spotted recently or is he locked in the same cupboard as Jacob Rees-Mogg? The Chief Secretary rather than the Chancellor was at the debate, iirc.
  • Options
    Jason said:

I’ll be buying us all beers
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Andy_JS said:

All of them were.
    hehe. Postal voting was probably also 120% turnout
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Jason said:

I'll have a full intestinal prolapse.
  • Options

I understand DWP state pension statements will be the only acceptable proof of identity from the 2024 election.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

That should assist my 10/1 betting suggestion on a Tory 90+ majority.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Santa Claus as a young man. Nice.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Bring back Dave and George!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    SunnyJim said:

The movement does seem to have mirrored that in the betting markets, but given the fact that the pound has risen by ten cents against the USD dollar since the deal was agreed, the currency movement is tiny by comparison.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    The market movements are just chaff in the wind

Ipsos-Mori is out. There are no more polls until BONG

Turnout anecdotes are meaningless. Could be angry Leavers. The Brexit referendum had a very high turnout. Or maybe it is the youthquare? Or perhaps it is the truly terrible weather.

There is no billionaire banker in Cheapside cackling over his secret data, At best he will have rumours from CCHQ, but they will be rumours.

Stay calm.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Finished off some work I should have finished yesterday. Very slowly.
  • Options

You’ll be pleased to know I’ve changed into my proper Christmas jumper now:

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Turnout, predictably, described as "brisk" when I voted about an hour ago in Harrogate. Ended up voting for the Yorkshire party, because I couldn't face spoiling my ballot, or voting for any of the usual clown shoes masquerading as serious politicians.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Suddenly the £ isn't very happy
  • Options
    Jason said:

• Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    I'm sitting in a library opposite a polling station (Brent north) turnout is very high. I honestly haven't seen it so busy in the middle of the day. Labour surge incoming!
  • Options

MM - I rather suspect that "larn 'em" is an East Midlands rather than a Geordie expression.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Still a weird other-worldly feeling for me today.

All the usual election day excitement and nervousness. Yet I haven't voted (Bury South, straight Lab/Tory fight, predicted red wall Tory gain apparently), and still have no idea who I will vote for later and indeed if I will vote at all.

The lifelong Tory in me getting the pangs of nervousness at queues of Corbynite youths queueing round the block, the appalling weather trapping pensioners and the meek inside, the lead tightening from 11-12 etc to 7/8/9, the thought of my life being in the hands of Jez, McD, Abbott and all their associated hard left interest groups etc etc - and yet I am not even sure I want Mr Get Brexit Done to even win, given I don't actually want to get an increasingly pointless and insane Brexit done myself.

I have contemplated voting Labour, a thought that makes me feel almost physically sick, because that is the best way of me trying to thwart Brexit now in my seat. But would a fairly soft Brexit where we largely have to stay in alignment, followed by the next inevitably Labour govt in 5/10 years (hopefully with a Blair like leader not a Trot) rejoining after a new referendum be so bad if it allows a majority Tory govt to protect the economy and sort out some loose ends like redrawing the boundaries to remove the Labour bias before the next GE, etc?

I think I know what will happen in the sanctity of the polling booth. But in every idle moment I keep coming back to the insanity of Brexit (as the end game looks to have panned out for us) and thinking I just need to be brave and sweep out of power the Brexiteer fools are remain intent on forcing this silly pet project through.

But I actually quite like Boris, the Brexit shitshow aside....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

timmo said:

There is a weather window coming into.London at about 5.30 tonight where its clearing up.
    People even after being knocked up are saying on the doorstep they will wait for the rain to.ease..if it doesnt then the results could be pretty skewed as voters warm and snug in their homes decide to stay there

It’s barely drizzling. Hardly apocalyptic conditions.
    It should be with you very shortly
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

You’ll be pleased to know I’ve changed into my proper Christmas jumper now:

I should be the last person to criticise anyone’s choice of clothing, but were you going for the extra from a Sci-Fi movie look?
This discussion has been closed.