Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The reports of high turnout might be down to the fact it’ll go

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979
    timmo said:

There is a weather window coming into.London at about 5.30 tonight where its clearing up.
    People even after being knocked up are saying on the doorstep they will wait for the rain to.ease..if it doesnt then the results could be pretty skewed as voters warm and snug in their homes decide to stay there

It’s barely drizzling. Hardly apocalyptic conditions.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

Now they need help in Battersea.

Both marginals, interesting

You mean, marginals might actually be marginal?! Gobsmacking
    Maybe I should rename myself to ObviousHorseBattery
    Could you not fit the Staple in your username?
    He didn't want to give away his password.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1205127078854746112

that is not the sound of a optimistic person though...

Northfield is surely lost to Labour.
  • Options

Ipsos MORI... must have Ipsos MORI...

We've had it ages ago, do keep up..
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    edited December 2019

More generally, I think the LibDem "dozens of leaflets" strategy has reached the wrong side of the curve. It has got to the point of antagonising voters. "They just look bloody desperate" as somebody commented to me yesterday.

Next time, fewer leaflets with more policies, eh?

You could say the same thing about the Tories in their target seats. We've had at least 8 all with different variations of themes...
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Mr. Camel, better, though I would've gone with whippersnappers.

Raining quite a bit here now.

Whippersnappers, Morris? I've always suspected you lived in a posher part of God's own. Now I know.
    By the way, 'bairns' is well used in barnsley & ponty. Think it's a Scottish thing. I'll stick with nippers for wakey.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347

timmo said:

There is a weather window coming into.London at about 5.30 tonight where its clearing up.
    People even after being knocked up are saying on the doorstep they will wait for the rain to.ease..if it doesnt then the results could be pretty skewed as voters warm and snug in their homes decide to stay there

Throwing it down horsham area..
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Betfair market all weak and wobbly on Tory Majority now.

I'm re-entering after closing all my bets off a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, it's the sound of a man who would be outraged to be described as a Labour activist :D
  • Options

Ooops, I just got back from voting you see!
    (I voted twice by the way :lol:)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I honestly think the Survation Scotland poll might turn out to be the most prescient piece of pollling published this election.

I need to check their 2015 eve of poll doc to confirm.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited December 2019

I've voted once AND taken part in the exit poll! :D
  • Options
    Mr. Camel, I wouldn't say whippersnappers or the use thereof had any real class/wealth connotation.
  • Options

Heard a first-hand report that turnout is sky-high in South Cambridgeshire. That bodes very well for the Lib Dems if true.

Or it means those who voted for Brexit are determined not to let the LibDems steal their win.

I know which I think is the correct interpretation....
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

Phil said:

Just had the LibDem get the vote out crowd come down the street in the driving rain. Fair play to them: they’re putting the work in. (OxWAB if anyone cares.)

eek said:

nico67 said:

Not sure the election itself was a mistake . The problem was the Lib Dems revoke position.

I’m an ardent Remainer but seriously I think too many people don’t understand that for the EU they have a choice as to an unstable neighbour racked with toxicity and EU relations becoming a political football in every election or a neighbour where relations can be rebuilt once the air is let out of the Brexit balloon .

Brexit being done is clearly not going to happen quickly , the symbolism of leaving though is quite powerful and that will just by itself reduce some of the toxicity .

If the EU had really wanted to help stop Brexit they would have rolled the dice and not agreed a deal and then hoped against no deal in an election that Johnson would lose .

Everything changed once a deal was agreed . Because Ireland are very happy with that outcome the EU can rightly say they supported them and stood by what is a smallish country . No one can accuse the EU of not standing by one of their members .

People spent 6 months saying how Labour's policy of a second referendum after creating a plan were we to leave was impossible to sell.

The Lib Dems went for a simple approach but it failed as soon as the election moved away from Brexit.
    Labour's position on Brexit could have been easier to sell if the LibDems had been selling it too. Park Brexit as an issue between Labour and the LibDems, allowing the LibDems to savage Labour on its funny money manifesto pledges. Both aspects would have had more chance of attracting Tories.
    If Swinson was targeting Tory votes then I think her constant personal attacks on BoJo was a mistake as well. BoJo may well have personal flaws but he is in the Tory Tribe and attack on BoJo is an attack on the Tory Tribe which means ranks will be closed.
    May be true of a few, but especially amongst the older group there is a lot more time for Heseltine and Major than Johnson.
  • Options

Yep. My old stomping ground. I predicted a Tory win some time ago on here.
  • Options
    MattW said:

camel said:

Gabs3 said:

These turnout queues are staggering and they are looking like mainly young voters. If I remember the polling turnout figures had more moderate turnout figures. This could be very close.

It's funny you should say this. When you think of what issues concern young voters the most, it's always climate change and affordable housing. This morning's Yorkshire Post reported that half of the region's voters planned on voting for a party that promised more affordable housing (see here).

If the young are out in force, especially here in Yorkshire, it does make you question whether or not the mainstream polling companies have screwed up vis-a-vis young people, turnout and the issues that they focus on.

Everything says that the Conservatives should walk this, but... there's this niggle in the back of my mind. Are we missing something obvious? Shy Labour voters rather than shy Tories?

"The poll by Homes for the North, which represents 17 of the largest housing associations in the north"
    They all promised more affordable housing...
    They also all promise immigration higher than house building... which even a toddler can work out means they have all promised to make housing more scarce.
  • Options
    eek said:

More generally, I think the LibDem "dozens of leaflets" strategy has reached the wrong side of the curve. It has got to the point of antagonising voters. "They just look bloody desperate" as somebody commented to me yesterday.

You could say the same thing about the Tories in their target seats. We've had at least 8 all with different variations of themes...
    Get Brexit done?

Don't let Corbyn's Labour wreck the economy - again?

That sort of thing?
  • Options
    isam said:

Has anyone done a spreadsheet with last GE's turnouts on it?

Is on my spreadsheets.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    GIN1138 said:

I hope you told them you were voting OMRLP...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    NOM now 3.20
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    GIN1138 said:

Vote the same way in both?
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    MattW said:

MattW said:

camel said:

Gabs3 said:

These turnout queues are staggering and they are looking like mainly young voters. If I remember the polling turnout figures had more moderate turnout figures. This could be very close.

It's funny you should say this. When you think of what issues concern young voters the most, it's always climate change and affordable housing. This morning's Yorkshire Post reported that half of the region's voters planned on voting for a party that promised more affordable housing (see here).

If the young are out in force, especially here in Yorkshire, it does make you question whether or not the mainstream polling companies have screwed up vis-a-vis young people, turnout and the issues that they focus on.

Everything says that the Conservatives should walk this, but... there's this niggle in the back of my mind. Are we missing something obvious? Shy Labour voters rather than shy Tories?

"The poll by Homes for the North, which represents 17 of the largest housing associations in the north"
    The headline is hilarious:

"Research shows voters want more homes in their local area, not less"

You try and build 50 or 60 and see what happens...
    You may be surprised. My area is earmarked for many 100s of new homes. When the local community site posted about it negatively, almost every reply was in favour.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

It’s called get out the vote not panic!
    There always surprise results in marginals that should have flipped.
  • Options

Any news on Erdington? Would love to see that fall....
  • Options
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Jason said:

NOM now 3.20

what does that mean!?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Cripes...Betfair Tory Majority market is serious drifting....1.52.
  • Options

Heard a first-hand report that turnout is sky-high in South Cambridgeshire. That bodes very well for the Lib Dems if true.

Or it means those who voted for Brexit are determined not to let the LibDems steal their win.

Interesting question is where the Tory voters would come from there given the former council was widely derided before being defenestrated and that the Tory ground force is non-existent. Not saying you are wrong, but it would defy the balance of organisational power in that seat.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    Fenster said:

If Labour manage to deny the Tories a majority my chimney-sweep is in for a brutal pasting.

I'll report you to the NSPCC
  • Options

Mr. Camel, I wouldn't say whippersnappers or the use thereof had any real class/wealth connotation.

It does in my hovel, posh boy! :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,922
    Alistair said:

I honestly think the Survation Scotland poll might turn out to be the most prescient piece of pollling published this election.

I need to check their 2015 eve of poll doc to confirm.

nova said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

camel said:

Gabs3 said:

You may be surprised. My area is earmarked for many 100s of new homes. When the local community site posted about it negatively, almost every reply was in favour.
    Depends where they're done, if amenities are put in; that sort of thing.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    I've put all the numbers from the opinion poll regional subsamples and I assumed a 7% Conservative lead on the back of the Mori best PM numbers, this is what I get:

CON 341
    LAB 236
    LD 11
    SNP 40
    PC 3
    GRN 1

A lead of 7% in plain UNS also gives:

CON 339
    LAB 232
    LD 17
    SNP 39
    PC 3
    GRN 1
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

60/40 Remain/Leave, Lib Dems recently took the district council, and the report was from a remainy area of the constituency. So... so do I. :smiley: But we'll see early tomorrow morning!
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

timmo said:

Its hammering down in the.Sutton and Croydon area and has been for the.last 2 hours
  • Options

never predict Northfield. I grew up there (just off Shenley Lane) and I think it is an odd seat. So many strange results over the years.
  • Options
    eek said:

so few... F&GG I've had 20 LD ,16 Con leaflet wise and several emails from both... not forgetting the single Labour leaflet.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Jason said:

NOM now 3.20

what does that mean!?
    The odds of NOM are shrinking. **Gulp**
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

It's now pissing it down in Pontefract. No anecdotes yet.

All those new houses in Ponte Carlo where there used to be collieries. Full of Tory voters.
  • Options

All those new houses in Ponte Carlo where there used to be collieries. Full of Tory voters.
    Labour flight to Cas Vegas!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    argyllrs said:

GIN1138 said:

Vote the same way in both?
    Of course! :D
  • Options
    camel said:

Mr. Camel, better, though I would've gone with whippersnappers.

Raining quite a bit here now.

Whippersnappers, Morris? I've always suspected you lived in a posher part of God's own. Now I know.
    By the way, 'bairns' is well used in barnsley & ponty. Think it's a Scottish thing. I'll stick with nippers for wakey.
    Aye, bairns is used in Ponte! Reckon it’s the influx of Geordies back in t’day that went darn t’pit.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

I've put all the numbers from the opinion poll regional subsamples and I assumed a 7% Conservative lead on the back of the Mori best PM numbers, this is what I get:

CON 341
    LAB 236
    LD 11
    SNP 40
    PC 3
    GRN 1

CON 339
    LAB 232
    LD 17
    SNP 39
    PC 3
    GRN 1

Seems very plausible. Makes you wonder why YouGov spent so much effort on the MRP!
  • Options
    Jason said:

Fenster said:

Jason said:

NOM now 3.20

what does that mean!?
    Ok thank you.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    edited December 2019

isam said:

Is on my spreadsheets.
    By age? What does record turnout among under 30s do to the seat numbers?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited December 2019

https://twitter.com/yorkshireprobs/status/309348513987313664
    It made me laugh Sandy.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    alb1on said:

Phil said:

Just had the LibDem get the vote out crowd come down the street in the driving rain. Fair play to them: they’re putting the work in. (OxWAB if anyone cares.)

eek said:

nico67 said:

Not sure the election itself was a mistake . The problem was the Lib Dems revoke position.

I’m an ardent Remainer but seriously I think too many people don’t understand that for the EU they have a choice as to an unstable neighbour racked with toxicity and EU relations becoming a political football in every election or a neighbour where relations can be rebuilt once the air is let out of the Brexit balloon .

Brexit being done is clearly not going to happen quickly , the symbolism of leaving though is quite powerful and that will just by itself reduce some of the toxicity .

If the EU had really wanted to help stop Brexit they would have rolled the dice and not agreed a deal and then hoped against no deal in an election that Johnson would lose .

Everything changed once a deal was agreed . Because Ireland are very happy with that outcome the EU can rightly say they supported them and stood by what is a smallish country . No one can accuse the EU of not standing by one of their members .

People spent 6 months saying how Labour's policy of a second referendum after creating a plan were we to leave was impossible to sell.

The Lib Dems went for a simple approach but it failed as soon as the election moved away from Brexit.
    Labour's position on Brexit could have been easier to sell if the LibDems had been selling it too. Park Brexit as an issue between Labour and the LibDems, allowing the LibDems to savage Labour on its funny money manifesto pledges. Both aspects would have had more chance of attracting Tories.
    If Swinson was targeting Tory votes then I think her constant personal attacks on BoJo was a mistake as well. BoJo may well have personal flaws but he is in the Tory Tribe and attack on BoJo is an attack on the Tory Tribe which means ranks will be closed.
    May be true of a few, but especially amongst the older group there is a lot more time for Heseltine and Major than Johnson.
    But also more time for Johnson than Corbyn.
  • Options
    I could make a quick 50 quid profit now on my NOM back bets. Hhhhmm. Decisions, decisions......
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

That may be true in your bubble but it certainly isn't in mine, particularly with regard to Heseltine (who in my personal opinion is King Tosser). Doesn't mean any of them are particularly well regarded
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

I trust you didn't have to make a 100 mile train journey to get to your polling station this time?
  • Options

They're building houses over the sites of collieries? Have they never heard of subsidence?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

Agreed, but given the reference was to Swinson we are talking Con/LD seats where Corbyn does not matter.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019
    Wondering if the interesting betfair market tonight might not be so much the main overall majority one, but the Con over/under 317.5 (given the implications for Brexit). Currently at 1.22 over, 5.1 under.

There's also an over/under 340.5, which is u1.81, o2.16.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

I'm not sure what useful 'big picture' information could have been gleaned to make this anything other than noise.

The market has over £15m of matched bets so seeing a few thousand moving the prices around wouldn't immediately make me think there is something afoot other than Betfair traders doing their thing.

If the layers start arriving with 6 figure sums then i'll sit up and take notice but even then you'd have to ask what the driver was.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Fenster said:

If Labour manage to deny the Tories a majority my chimney-sweep is in for a brutal pasting.

Fenster's chimney-sweep is 80!
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Jason said:

Fenster said:

Jason said:

NOM now 3.20

what does that mean!?
    Ok thank you.
    It's a demical odd instead of fractional that's all. 3.10 = 21/10, so 10 quid on makes 21.00 quid. The decimal odds include the stake money, fractional doesn't. Pretty straightforward once you get used to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

isam said:

Is on my spreadsheets.
    By age? What does record turnout among under 30s do to the seat numbers?
    I don't think I have seen estimates of turn-out per seat per demographic. It is normally lumped into just per seat or per demographic.

I think only the likes of YouGov with their MRP model will really know.
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, VOTING IS HALF-WAY THROUGH.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,922

They're building houses over the sites of collieries? Have they never heard of subsidence?
    Look up Simpson Park, Harworth.

Jones homes being built there. Tiny things !
  • Options

They're sold as "with basement"
  • Options
    alb1on said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

Agreed, but given the reference was to Swinson we are talking Con/LD seats where Corbyn does not matter.
    I thought the whole point of voting tactically for LibDems was to deny the Tories a majority. In which case the only alternative is getting Corbyn as PM.
  • Options
    ***** Betting Post *****

I appreciate what I am about to suggest isn't likely to be universally popular with PBers, but may nevertheless find favour with certain punters who have a particular betting profile on the GE.
    Firstly, the basic premise. Over recent days, all the attention, including much media hype, etc has been focused on the Tories' supposedly narrowing lead over Labour. But has the underlying lead really shrunk to any meaningful degree? - Yes, we've seen some headline figures showing the lead with some pollsters, notably in YouGov's MRP poll shrink to 6% or 7%. But equally we've seen some very recent polls, yesterday and today even, with leads still showing at between 10% -12%.
    Other factors which may assist the Tories in today's real poll is the very inclement weather, a higher proportion of postal votes than previously and dare one mention it, the shy Tory syndrome. It would be something of a surprise , but not totally shocking if the Tories were to finish up with an actual lead of 11%-12% over Labour and were this to happen what sort of majority would it provide? That would depend on a whole range of factors, not least regional variations, but overall a majority of between 80-100 would not be that surprising in such circumstances, implying the Tories winning between 365 and 375 seats.
    So here's the bet ... those nice folk at Bet365 are offering odds of 10/1 (11.0 decimal) against the Blue Team winning 370+ seats, equivalent to a majority of 90 seats. This looks like genuine value to me and would, for example provide some economically-priced insurance to those punters who may have gone a little overboard in over-backing Labour or in over-laying the Tories.
    As ever DYOR.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    isam said:

Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e2BEqznnbsGQWcOqfGL2NOVLPI3wLp3C0iaL-q7pJBc/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Look up Simpson Park, Harworth.

Jones homes being built there. Tiny things !
    Pit yards and immediate environs are free of mining subsidence.
    Beautiful homes on the site of Acton Hall at Ackworth.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

speedy2 said:

CON 341
    LAB 236
    LD 11
    SNP 40
    PC 3
    GRN 1

CON 339
    LAB 232
    LD 17
    SNP 39
    PC 3
    GRN 1

Seems very plausible. Makes you wonder why YouGov spent so much effort on the MRP!
    If you get the correct lead in vote share you can use UNS within 10 seats, unless there is serious regional changes like in Scotland.
  • Options

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

That may be true in your bubble but it certainly isn't in mine, particularly with regard to Heseltine (who in my personal opinion is King Tosser). Doesn't mean any of them are particularly well regarded
    I am talking from a strongly remain Tory seat (Guildford) which is typical of Swinson targets. Here even Tory activists despise Johnson. I do not doubt he appeals more in leave voting Con/Lab seats.
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone, I have been out and about this morning so not caught up. A wee thought about Scotland for the exit poll

SNP 50+ The unionist parties are almost back to 2015 and Swinson probably a gonner
    SNP 45-50 The SCons have held a few and SLab and SLib hanging on by their fingernails and Swinson may have survived
    SNP 40-44 The SCons holding on to most of the "Baker's dozen" and Swinson almost certainly ok
    SNP 35-39 SCons possibly swapping a couple of seats with SNP, Swinson fine and SLab and SLibs holding most seats
    SNP <35 SCons having a good night, SLab and SLibs doing ok too.

Personally I think the SNP will be 35-40.
  • Options
    Are there no reports from the Red Firewall? I was expecting numerous anecdotes by now along the lines of: 'Aye, that Boris bloke. Bit of a toff but he'll get Brexit done.'
  • Options
    Friday the 13th horror film; Nightmare on Downing Street.
  • Options

Think so? Mebbe some aye but loads’ll be Labour too I reckon. Plenty going up in Cas, Normie and Knottla too.

• Options

Is there still a bank left open to break?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

I'm not sure what useful 'big picture' information could have been gleaned to make this anything other than noise.

The market has over £15m of matched bets so seeing a few thousand moving the prices around wouldn't immediately make me think there is something afoot other than Betfair traders doing their thing.

If the layers start arriving with 6 figure sums then i'll sit up and take notice but even then you'd have to ask what the driver was.
    Yep, suddenly back to 3.35. So anything today from 3.10 to 3.65. Big variations. In other words, nobody really has a fucking clue what's going on.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Fenster said:

:)
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019

Is that the signal for the elite MI5 eraser squads to take on the first of the boxes and remark the papers?
  • Options
    Just voted in Paisley and Renfrewshire North. Polling Station was dead. Sums up this election here - no canvassers and very few leaflets. No enthusiasm around here at all.
  • Options
    At the half-way point in the day, we turn to our man on the ground in marginal North-East Wales:

He confirms that there is both weather and turnout occurring, with occasional references to "brisk". What this means for the bigger picture, we'll have to wait until 10pm to find out.

Back to the studio....

• Options

Are there no reports from the Red Firewall? I was expecting numerous anecdotes by now along the lines of: 'Aye, that Boris bloke. Bit of a toff but he'll get Brexit done.'

We've had numerous amounts of those for the past 5 weeks.
  • Options

Loads of ‘em. All over what was Prince of Wales colliery. Everywhere’s riddled round here anyway. Kellingley galleries go on for miles.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

camel said:

Gabs3 said:

To be fair to the nimbies, too often the houses get built but not the wider roads, new schools and surgeries that will be needed for a thousand extra families.
  • Options
    Looks like I popped out just as Ipsos MORI was published - found the stats on the last thread!

Final ELBOW data therefore gives:

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.7 (+0.8)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.0 (-0.1)

Tory lead 9.4 (-0.7)

Comparisons with week-ending 8th Dec.
  • Options

Is that the signal for the elite MI5 eraser squads to take on the first of the boxes and remark the papers?
    Oh dear, I fear you are not trying to be ironic! Watch out for the lizard people too!
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

I appreciate what I am about to suggest isn't likely to be universally popular with PBers, but may nevertheless find favour with certain punters who have a particular betting profile on the GE.
    Firstly, the basic premise. Over recent days, all the attention, including much media hype, etc has been focused on the Tories' supposedly narrowing lead over Labour. But has the underlying lead really shrunk to any meaningful degree? - Yes, we've seen some headline figures showing the lead with some pollsters, notably in YouGov's MRP poll shrink to 6% or 7%. But equally we've seen some very recent polls, yesterday and today even, with leads still showing at between 10% -12%.
    Other factors which may assist the Tories in today's real poll is the very inclement weather, a higher proportion of postal votes than previously and dare one mention it, the shy Tory syndrome. It would be something of a surprise , but not totally shocking if the Tories were to finish up with an actual lead of 11%-12% over Labour and were this to happen what sort of majority would it provide? That would depend on a whole range of factors, not least regional variations, but overall a majority of between 80-100 would not be that surprising in such circumstances, implying the Tories winning between 365 and 375 seats.
    So here's the bet ... those nice folk at Bet365 are offering odds of 10/1 (11.0 decimal) against the Blue Team winning 370+ seats, equivalent to a majority of 90 seats. This looks like genuine value to me and would, for example provide some economically-priced insurance to those punters who may have gone a little overboard in over-backing Labour or in over-laying the Tories.
    As ever DYOR.

That is a cracking price for those who still have the luxury of access to a 365 account.
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

As ever DYOR.

My last fiver in the account, and I promised the wife no more deposits. Got 9/1. great headsup.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

I am talking from a strongly remain Tory seat (Guildford) which is typical of Swinson targets. Here even Tory activists despise Johnson. I do not doubt he appeals more in leave voting Con/Lab seats.
    A bubble is a bubble - like Brexit 😉
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Put it this way, I'm surprised why there are lots of young people in Esher voting at lunchtime.
  • Options

Oh dear, I fear you are not trying to be ironic! Watch out for the lizard people too!
    #penisbest
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh, jealous! I just had a proxy vote for my brother (he's away working).
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e2BEqznnbsGQWcOqfGL2NOVLPI3wLp3C0iaL-q7pJBc/edit#gid=0
    Can someone model MRP on those turnouts? Or even above those turnouts? Think we are heading for NOM.
  • Options
    Jason said:

SunnyJim said:

Yep, suddenly back to 3.35. So anything today from 3.10 to 3.65. Big variations. In other words, nobody really has a fucking clue what's going on.
    As ever
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    Jason said:

SunnyJim said:

Surely just people trading in and out? If people really knew something it would not bounce back would it?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

Phone banking for the LibDems' Laura Gordon in Sheffield Hallam.

@TSE do you want me to get you a log-on so you can join in...?

Seriously - what is 'phone banking'? Is this where a party rings around known supporters to check they've voted?

Why don't I get phone banked in Bootle?
    (I know why)
  • Options
    More of this type of 'Portillo moment' anecdote, please.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

I'm not saying this with any authority but I'd get off the tories in the betting.

Mock me after 10pm, that's fine.

It doesn't matter one jot whether Labour win Streatham by 20,000 or 30,000 votes.

What matters is how Wrexham, Leigh, and Sedgefield vote. If anything massive pro-Labour turnout in the cities (and I'm unconvinced that will happen - looks like normal pre-work queues) actively harms Labour, because it implies that their vote has got less efficient.
    Which is of course why the "every vote counts the same" posts seen on PB now and again are just nonsense
    Every vote does count the same.

The fact people are even counting Leigh and Sedgefield as "marginals" just goes to prove that. How the hell is Leigh a marginal !?
    The mere fact that you just posted advice to the Democrats about which states they should be targeting proves that votes in some areas are worth more than in others.
    Absolutely not!

California is very valuable, the most valuable State of all but the fact is though the Democrats are currently already appealing to Californians, so they should expand their appeal to states like Ohio without sacrificing California. If the Democrats were winning in Ohio but losing California I'd suggest they appeal to California. Its not fixed. The point of the system is not to target "swing" states/constituencies (which risks you losing your core) the point is to broaden your support as much as possible.
    Is there much to stop California splitting into North & South California to get more political power? If not why doesnt that happen?
    Democrats don’t want GOP voting SoCal to have self-rule
  • Options
    edited December 2019

***** Betting Post *****

As ever DYOR.

YouGov's MRP wasn't 6-7%, it was 9% down from 11%. However, if you look at their charts it was that particular day where the blip was, which was height of photo-gate. All the way before that, the Tory vote share hadn't even changed by >1%.

The two polls released which polled during photo-gate showed the smallest gap and the YouGov. Now it might well be that it has damaged Boris, but all the polls conducted since then have showed the Tory number exactly the same as the week before.

• Options

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

Heseltine is a colossus. Johnson is a pigmy.
  • Options

At the half-way point in the day, we turn to our man on the ground in marginal North-East Wales:

He confirms that there is both weather and turnout occurring, with occasional references to "brisk". What this means for the bigger picture, we'll have to wait until 10pm to find out.

Back to the studio....

Spot on - typical OB
  • Options

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

Phil said:

eek said:

nico67 said:

A bubble is a bubble - like Brexit 😉
    Guildford has a particularly moderate group of Tory bubble people (apart from one or two nutters who are not representative.) :)
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    Just done the old civic duty in NE Hants. Rural village hall polling station so everything's relative but it seems to have been "busier than normal" and "on track to exceed the usual GE turnout". Could be early voting due to the grotty weather and the nights drawing in though. We don't have "young people" here so Ranil has nothing to worry about ;)
This discussion has been closed.