Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn the modern day Harold Wilson or John Major?

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Final Survation poll of the campaign at midnight?

https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1203237711831805953
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    The one thing that I still find difficult to understand is the pollsters using the 2016 EU ref 52 to 48 to help weight the results .

No poll anywhere on a second EU ref question for the last 18 months has shown a lead for the Leave side , there’s been one tie and the rest have shown varying leads for Remain .

So if your sample is weighted to that 52/48 then aren’t you already skewing the sample ?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

This is really quite striking. Even extraordinary.

At first I just thought it was a bit of political fun, but watch it til the end, and the very sincere remarks from Jews who are genuinely scared of Corbyn, and think they might have to emigrate if he wins.

They are not joking. I confess I got a bit emotional watching this

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1203612512366866434?s=20

We CANNOT allow Corbyn to win. It would be a tragedy for this country.

People think voting for Brexit makes us a laughing stock around the globe.

Voting for Corbyn would make us reviled.
    "Save us from that man". Wow.

I think we can safely say Boris has 99% of the Jewish vote.
    The irony is that in that constituency Luciana Berger is standing, one person who really deserves to be in Parliament. My brother lives in that constituency and he’s voting for her.
    I'd have no objection to Berger winning but I don't understand why she chose to run in a blue rather than a red seat. The person she's trying to unseat has done nothing wrong.
    He's also one of the most Remainer-y Tory MPs left. Either of the other two Barnet seats would have made more sense from a stopping Brexit point of view. Berger is, sadly, the worst kind of political opportunist.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    Donald Fart. Yes, very good.

"Hillary won the popular vote but because the Rust Belt went Fart, albeit by the finest of margins, it's Fart on his way to the White House."

That could not have been reported, thus it could not have happened. Names do matter.

"Johnson gets Pidcocked yet again at PMQs"

There's something that DOES work.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Right I think Thursday is going to be an absolute blood bath for Labour and well deserved too , with any luck the a Labour Party will purge itself of the extreme left but I don’t hold out much hope . If they perish they perish . We do need an effective opposition in a parliamentary democracy and I say that as a staunch Tory supporter . But what we have with Corbyn is a dangerous , national security risk , we cannot afford for him to remain leader or any of his acolytes . The country deserves better . I hope they are absolutely trounced so they can rebuild a credible party . But if not then someone else will fill the vacuum ( but not Jo Swinson )

I'm no Conservative and part of me hopes you are right but I'm more concerned at what an unchallenged Johnson Government will be able to do and the damage they will be allowed to perpetrate before the credible alternative emerges.

This site will be unbearable for all the Conservatives gloating on here at their success and the failure of the other parties but the fact remains this country is in need of good governance and there are huge problems which have been set aside by Brexit.

Johnson may claim he has the answers and the blueprint for a successful post-EU Britain - I'm simply not convinced and I don't believe him and I will hold him and his Government to account as it is my right so to do.

I'm hoping there won't be gloating on this site, and instead we can engage in an intelligent analysis of the results.
    You'll get no gloating from me if the Tories win. Most people here on all sides of the argument are nice and while I would be personally hugely relieved if Corbyn and McDonnell kept out of Downing Street I would take no pleasure in the disappointment of the many excellent people here on the left if that were the case.
    I have cautioned against any gloating if Boris wins but a degree of humility and understanding that many will feel on the other side. We all need to come together
    It's easy to be magnaminous when you win....

I really don't want Corbyn to be PM- there is no chance of that. But I do not want Boris and Brexit- 2 things Big_G you have said that you didn't want aswell
    I do agree Tyson but when it comes down to it beating Corbyn is all that matters to me now
    Well then you cannot condemn people for supporting Corbyn despite everything because beating the Tories is “all that matters to them now”.

Can you not see your hypocrisy?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,573
    kinabalu said:

"Hillary won the popular vote but because the Rust Belt went Fart, albeit by the finest of margins, it's Fart on his way to the White House."

That could not have been reported, thus it could not have happened. Names do matter.

Now there is a mental image I could have done without...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The final Survation poll for GMB.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Right I think Thursday is going to be an absolute blood bath for Labour and well deserved too , with any luck the a Labour Party will purge itself of the extreme left but I don’t hold out much hope . If they perish they perish . We do need an effective opposition in a parliamentary democracy and I say that as a staunch Tory supporter . But what we have with Corbyn is a dangerous , national security risk , we cannot afford for him to remain leader or any of his acolytes . The country deserves better . I hope they are absolutely trounced so they can rebuild a credible party . But if not then someone else will fill the vacuum ( but not Jo Swinson )

I'm no Conservative and part of me hopes you are right but I'm more concerned at what an unchallenged Johnson Government will be able to do and the damage they will be allowed to perpetrate before the credible alternative emerges.

This site will be unbearable for all the Conservatives gloating on here at their success and the failure of the other parties but the fact remains this country is in need of good governance and there are huge problems which have been set aside by Brexit.

Johnson may claim he has the answers and the blueprint for a successful post-EU Britain - I'm simply not convinced and I don't believe him and I will hold him and his Government to account as it is my right so to do.

I'm hoping there won't be gloating on this site, and instead we can engage in an intelligent analysis of the results.
    You'll get no gloating from me if the Tories win. Most people here on all sides of the argument are nice and while I would be personally hugely relieved if Corbyn and McDonnell kept out of Downing Street I would take no pleasure in the disappointment of the many excellent people here on the left if that were the case.
    I have cautioned against any gloating if Boris wins but a degree of humility and understanding that many will feel on the other side. We all need to come together

I really don't want Corbyn to be PM- there is no chance of that. But I do not want Boris and Brexit- 2 things Big_G you have said that you didn't want aswell
    I do agree Tyson but when it comes down to it beating Corbyn is all that matters to me now
    The only way Corbyn could be PM is by relying on the tacit support of the SNP and LibDems. So he wouldn't be able to implement his more extreme policies.

Nothing much to fear there Big_G.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Andy_JS said:

Just switched on the Radio 4 news to hear Jeremy Corbyn talking about the "150 billionaires in Britain". Does anyone else find that sort of talk a bit sinister?

That's a good thing right, 150 of them is a lot of money pumped into the UK economy...I have a funny feeling that isn't weirdo Jezza's outlook. A man who won't go down a street because it is too capitalist.
    Some of the social democracies that the left likes to laud have a higher billionaire to population ratio than we do.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Instant leftie on leftie action in the debate, this could get very nasty.

We have found a viewer - congratulations. Please keep the reports coming so we can all avoid it.
    RedZone for me.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Wait until you see the headline I've got planned for the exit poll thread.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Johnson blows it?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198
    GIN1138 said:

Midnight Sunday (GMT) was 18 hrs ago. He means midnight Monday. Grr (grits teeth)
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

I'm no Conservative and part of me hopes you are right b

Well then you cannot condemn people for supporting Corbyn despite everything because beating the Tories is “all that matters to them now”.

Can you not see your hypocrisy?
    It is a free country and many will support Corbyn but many supporting labour this time are not supporting Corbyn ironically
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just wait until "Stu" takes off. It'll be unstoppable, like a rocket! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2019

GIN1138 said:

You think there might be a final, final Survation poll for Survation? :D
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

The only way Corbyn could be PM is by relying on the tacit support of the SNP and LibDems. So he wouldn't be able to implement his more extreme policies.

I am not willing to chance it Ben
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Johnson blows it?
    Well that's one option if Boris Johnson fails to win a majority.

The one that requires a lot of mind bleach is if Johnson wins a landslide.
  • Options
    BMG poll.

9 point lead for the Tories .
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    nico67 said:

The one thing that I still find difficult to understand is the pollsters using the 2016 EU ref 52 to 48 to help weight the results .

No poll anywhere on a second EU ref question for the last 18 months has shown a lead for the Leave side , there’s been one tie and the rest have shown varying leads for Remain .

So if your sample is weighted to that 52/48 then aren’t you already skewing the sample ?

Not if you're asking them what they voted in 2016. The issues are (i) false recall,(ii) what to do about the 18-20 year-olds and (iii) the sensitive issue of the 'no longer with us'.
  • Options

God there's nothing worse than a privately educated person pretending to be similar to a person educated at a comprehensive.

Daisy Ridley has been criticised over comments about her upbringing.

The Star Wars actress, who attended boarding school, was asked whether privileged aspects of her life has helped her confidence and deal with her celebrity status.

She replied: "The privilege I have - how? No, genuinely, how?"

In her Guardian interview, she said she did not believe it has benefited her in those ways and compared herself to her co-star John Boyega, who grew up in London as the son of Nigerian immigrants.

"John grew up on a council estate in Peckham and I think me and him are similar enough that… no," she said.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/star-wars-daisy-ridley-criticised-for-questioning-role-of-privilege-in-her-life-1335769

And that has to do with Star Wars how?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Johnson blows it?
    Well that's one option if Boris Johnson fails to win a majority.

The one that requires a lot of mind bleach is if Johnson wins a landslide.
    Riiiight...I don’t want to know, actually...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Oh!!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
    When a highly partisan poster says their side is going to do much better than expected it's always entertaining but not worth much. The truth is no-one knows what's going to happen, except the opinion polls within a margin of error.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

I have NEVER worked for Goldman Sachs
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

At first I just thought it was a bit of political fun, but watch it til the end, and the very sincere remarks from Jews who are genuinely scared of Corbyn, and think they might have to emigrate if he wins.

The irony is that in that constituency Luciana Berger is standing, one person who really deserves to be in Parliament. My brother lives in that constituency and he’s voting for her.
    I'd have no objection to Berger winning but I don't understand why she chose to run in a blue rather than a red seat. The person she's trying to unseat has done nothing wrong.
    Apart from supporting Brexit and Boris Johnson you mean?
    I don't view that as wrong, but on the subject of antisemitism is what I mean. She should have stood against someone who was condoning it.
    Nah. One less pro-Brexit and pro-Boris MP is an additional benefit.

You do realise Luciana is not a Tory?
    It isn't additional its an alternative. She could have taken a stand against an antisemite, instead she's standing against a Brexiteer. Fine then vote for her if you want to take out a Brexiteer, not if you want to deal with antisemitism.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400
    edited December 2019
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

it was 6 last time iirc 39/33
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

At this stage, last time, they had the Tories ahead 46-33.

So this should be treated with caution.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

+1.

1.6m over 65s (who voted 75% Leave) will have died since June 2016.
    2.7m people new voters have reached 18 since June 2016 (under 24s voted 64% Remain).

I cannot see why pollsters aren't making some attempt to take that into account with their weightings.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

6 point last time

Like to see the figures
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

I can’t link as on iPad .

What I would say though they have pretty high scores for the Green Party on 4 and the Lib Dems on 14 compared to some other polls.

So good for the Tories in terms of the lead but there’s more there for Labour to squeeze on the day .
  • Options
    Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

Although I am puzzled (I genuinely thought you are/were), I am happy to accept your assurance that you have never worked for Goldman Sachs. Apologies for the misattribution.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

By the way, for the record I think the Conservatives are going to win a narrow majority. But that's exactly what it will be. Narrow.

All this talk of big victories and 60 seats+ etc is absolute nonsense. It bears literally no relation to the ground game.

2015. 2016. 2017. I correctly called them all & made money.

Hubris.

How narrow is narrow? I'll be totally happy with a small majority that allows us to govern for 5 years, say 335 or so. Obviously I'd like 400, but I'm not mad enough to think we'll get it.

I’m not expecting a majority of more than 60 tbh. 400 would be far too much!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,023

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

How much did the Lib Dems stop the Tories from doing what they wanted in 2010-2015?

So little that barely four years later few refer to it as the coalition era and now talk of 9 years of continuous Tory rule.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Huge.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Herding!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

Although I am puzzled (I genuinely thought you are/were), I am happy to accept your assurance that you have never worked for Goldman Sachs. Apologies for the misattribution.
    That was Rob Smithson!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

What I would say though they have pretty high scores for the Green Party on 4 and the Lib Dems on 14 compared to some other polls.

So good for the Tories in terms of the lead but there’s more there for Labour to squeeze on the day .
    Which website are you seeing it on?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Do you know the conservative / labour figures
  • Options
    On the basis of the BMG I'm hitting up Tory majority.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

if it is there to squeeze and it is squeezable...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Calm yourself GIN :open_mouth:

:D:o
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

By the way, for the record I think the Conservatives are going to win a narrow majority. But that's exactly what it will be. Narrow.

All this talk of big victories and 60 seats+ etc is absolute nonsense. It bears literally no relation to the ground game.

Hubris.

How narrow is narrow? I'll be totally happy with a small majority that allows us to govern for 5 years, say 335 or so. Obviously I'd like 400, but I'm not mad enough to think we'll get it.

Yeah no need for a majority of 400 :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

Huge.
    Big if huge.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

The young will stick with greens I believe.

Because they are genuinely scared about their future on this planet, and thinking is the most important issue.
  • Options
    @kinabalu

what more data do you need?

My Mum was a teacher who married young

My Dad left school at 17 and worked in the family shop

My mum’s dad was an academic

My dad’s dad was the oldest of 5 who had to grow up fast as his dad died in a workplace incident when he was just 9/10. Fortunately he was good with numbers and made enough money gambling to supplement his salary
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

At this stage, last time, they had the Tories ahead 46-33.

So this should be treated with caution.
    Every poll should be treated with caution after the debacle of 2017.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

That was Rob Smithson!
    Oh, thank you.
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Hubris.

That would be a seat tally of 523.

The National Government managed 556 in 1931, but that was officially a coalition.

I’m not seeing that level of swing...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Every time you post it I assume it’s for the GMB Union!
  • Options
    Wow, you can still her 1.15 on SNP under 50.5 seats on Betfair.

Strong buy recommendation from me there.

It would be close to impossible for them to get 51+ seats.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

That's not who it is?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-poll-latest-labour-prevent-tory-majority-tactical-voting-a9238096.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1575831159
  • Options
    Charles said:

@kinabalu

My dad’s dad was the oldest of 5 who had to grow up fast as his dad died in a workplace incident when he was just 9/10. Fortunately he was good with numbers and made enough money gambling to supplement his salary

Charles, it has to be said though, the ‘family shop’ wasn’t exactly a tobacconist in the East End, was it?
  • Options
    Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

ditto...
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    Corbyn anywhere near government, his allotment yes 100%
  • Options

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

That's not who it is?
    Good Morning Britain
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

I worked for Mother Merrill for many years
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

BMG poll.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-poll-latest-labour-prevent-tory-majority-tactical-voting-a9238096.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1575831159
    It's real :o
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    39 looked way too low for the Tories. 43-34 is probably close to where we are at (don’t actually know the BMG numbers). So ICM are 7 points is the smallest lead but all pollsters pointing to a Tory majority.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

I worked for Mother Merrill for many years
    Ah, thank you. I shall correct my memory.
  • Options
    BMG

Tory 41 (+2)
    Lab 32 (-1)
    Lib Dem 14 (+1)
    Green 4 (-1)
    BP 4 (NC)
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    I would understand that... if the alternative weren't an unfettered Liar Boris in charge.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Thanks Andy.

Will be interesting to see the MRP on Tuesday now.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Apart from supporting Brexit and Boris Johnson you mean?
    Mike Freer is a peoples vote remainer. F&GG doesn't actually have a leave candidate
  • Options

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

That's not who it is?
    Good morning Britain I think (piers morgan and the delectable holly)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    nico67 said:

When it's YouGov, they still have on record for people what their vote was at the time. And false recall is pretty low for EUref vote anyway
  • Options
    Alistair said:

On the basis of the BMG I'm hitting up Tory majority.

Do u have a link to the poll?
  • Options
    Tories into 1.33

Think thats the shortest its been
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    nico67 said:

BMG

Tory 41 (+2)
    Lab 32 (-1)
    Lib Dem 14 (+1)
    Green 4 (-1)
    BP 4 (NC)

LDs and Tories up, Labour down as we enter the last week, bad news for Corbyn
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

@kinabalu

Charles, it has to be said though, the ‘family shop’ wasn’t exactly a tobacconist in the East End, was it?
    a goldsmiths doing piecework and the occasion commission?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

nico67 said:

When it's YouGov, they still have on record for people what their vote was at the time. And false recall is pretty low for EUref vote anyway
    Yebbut... what about the people who have joined (or left) the electorate?
  • Options
    The BMG seems more plausible than last week with its Tory vote share .

The Lib Dems will be happy to see that 14% number .
  • Options

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    I would understand that... if the alternative weren't an unfettered Liar Boris in charge.
    By far the biggest lie this campaign has been told by Corbyn.
  • Options
    ranier said:

Question from occasional poster and even more occasional bettor:

Is there any correlation between the number of candidate posters and the result on election night?

In local constitutency (Stroud) the ratio is about 10:1 Lab:Con, even in the leafier parts of the constituency (and there are more green than con too). Though it should be a probable Con gain given the margin in 2017 the addition of local factors (remain seat, con candidate seen as an 'outsider' because she comes Witney...) Lab feels worth a punt at 6/4.

Thoughts appreciated..

Not that much.

Around here, Tories are notorious for not putting up posters in contrast to Labour. The main impact is that, if a party is winning the "poster war" hands down you can guarantee that it will be one of those in the mix come election night. So posters can be very useful in establishing that your party is in contention and by implication that it should be the recipient of any tactical votes going. It was very important here in the 1980s and 1990s prior to the seat being generally recognised as a Labour-Tory marginal come 1997.

So in Stroud it could make a difference in helping to send a message to potential Greens (and to the Lib Dems who aren't standing) that Labour is making a big push in the hope that they will get on board, but I don't think a single Tory will change their vote as a result of seeing loads of Labour posters.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

@kinabalu

a goldsmiths doing piecework and the occasion commission?
    So not the family bank then?

I stand corrected.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    BMG 9% lead is ok

Bit worried about Boris being in Chingford. Where the leaders are late on is a STRONG indication of close contests.

Maybe Boris will be in Argyll tomorrow !
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Charles said:

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

That's not who it is?
    Good morning Britain I think (piers morgan and the delectable holly)
    Thanks, and Ben Pointer. Could have also referred to record label and game developer BMG.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    6% lead last week turns into a 9% lead this week...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BluerBlue said:

Hubris.

That would be a seat tally of 523.

The National Government managed 556 in 1931, but that was officially a coalition.

I’m not seeing that level of swing...
    Still three days of campaigning though.....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Angela Raynor on the debate "We are being ripped off by energy companies owned by foreign states." Labour doing their bit to improve international relations.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019

Henrietta said:

kinabalu said:

BluerBlue said:

There's just one problem with your favoured candidate. They do invite the most devastating, unforgettable nickname in British political history:

Stu.

We will rise above that Trumpiness, thank you very much.

This is England.
    Actually I think Trump would have found it difficult to have been taken seriously as a British politician because his name is a synonym for fart.
    But using his paternal grandmother's maiden name instead might make people think he had, well, some kind of syndrome.
    I’m not sure I know MY paternal grandmother’s maiden name, let alone Trump’s.
    Donald Trump's paternal grandmother was born Elizabeth Christ.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

BMG 9% lead is ok

Bit worried about Boris being in Chingford. Where the leaders are late on is a STRONG indication of close contests.

Maybe Boris will be in Argyll tomorrow !

Yougov MRP had the Tories 9% ahead in Chingford, less than the 11% they were ahead nationally.

Daraprix has the Tories 2% ahead in Chingford but getting a majority over 30 nationally
  • Options
    Charles said:

@viewcode

Take it back you fiend!

I have and je ne regrette rien.
  • Options

ranier said:

Is there any correlation between the number of candidate posters and the result on election night?

In local constitutency (Stroud) the ratio is about 10:1 Lab:Con, even in the leafier parts of the constituency (and there are more green than con too). Though it should be a probable Con gain given the margin in 2017 the addition of local factors (remain seat, con candidate seen as an 'outsider' because she comes Witney...) Lab feels worth a punt at 6/4.

Thoughts appreciated..

Not that much.

Around here, Tories are notorious for not putting up posters in contrast to Labour. The main impact is that, if a party is winning the "poster war" hands down you can guarantee that it will be one of those in the mix come election night. So posters can be very useful in establishing that your party is in contention and by implication that it should be the recipient of any tactical votes going. It was very important here in the 1980s and 1990s prior to the seat being generally recognised as a Labour-Tory marginal come 1997.

So in Stroud it could make a difference in helping to send a message to potential Greens (and to the Lib Dems who aren't standing) that Labour is making a big push in the hope that they will get on board, but I don't think a single Tory will change their vote as a result of seeing loads of Labour posters.
    For the record Enfield Southgate had more Tory than Labour posters when I was delivering there today
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    Well, the SNP, quite reasonably given their platform, couldn't give a shiney shite what happens to the English and Welsh. So I'd be reluctant to rely on them curbing Corbyn. And Corbyn and McDonnell have a history of friendships with people who don't exactly follow democratic norms. Relying on them playing by the rules seems a little unwise.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    6% lead last week turns into a 9% lead this week...
    can we ELBOW it in?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Quite significant that, coming from the only polling company that up to this poll had the Tories on <40%.
  • Options

Angela Raynor on the debate "We are being ripped off by energy companies owned by foreign states." Labour doing their bit to improve international relations.

Which part of the statement is untrue if any?
  • Options
    Henrietta said:

Henrietta said:

kinabalu said:

BluerBlue said:

There's just one problem with your favoured candidate. They do invite the most devastating, unforgettable nickname in British political history:

Stu.

We will rise above that Trumpiness, thank you very much.

This is England.
    Actually I think Trump would have found it difficult to have been taken seriously as a British politician because his name is a synonym for fart.
    But using his paternal grandmother's maiden name instead might make people think he had, well, some kind of syndrome.
    I’m not sure I know MY paternal grandmother’s maiden name, let alone Trump’s.
    Donald Trump's paternal grandmother was born Elizabeth Christ.
    😮
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    Well, the SNP, quite reasonably given their platform, couldn't give a shiney shite what happens to the English and Welsh. So I'd be reluctant to rely on them curbing Corbyn. And Corbyn and McDonnell have a history of friendships with people who don't exactly follow democratic norms. Relying on them playing by the rules seems a little unwise.
    I appreciate I'm not going to convince you (or anyone else probably) but my reasoning in response to your two points is as follows:

1. If the SNP don't care about the rest of the UK why do they oppose Brexit?
    2. Re playing by the rules. Fortunately, as we have seen when Boris tried to bypass democracy earlier, the Supreme Court is quite willing and able to enforce the law.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tyson said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

kjohnw1 said:

Chance what?
    It would suit the SNP for Corbyn to use Scottish votes for English laws as would increase English support for independence.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

ranier said:

Thoughts appreciated..

Not that much.

For the record Enfield Southgate had more Tory than Labour posters when I was delivering there today
    Where it can also be useful is in comparing the number the same party has up in one election with another. FWIW Labour has about the same number up here as in 2017 but fewer up than in 2015. However, I also know that we (and I was then a part of "we" unlike now) didn't make a particularly intensive effort with poster sites in 2017.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Iain Duncan Smith is particularly loathed by anyone who isn't a conservative so I can see more tactical voting against him than average. Will be close I think as Chingford is trending left iirc.

IDS getting ousted would be a proper Portillo moment, and we haven't had one for ages.
    Maybe we'll have two or more this time?
  • Options

Any polls?

I feel like that South Park Tweek gif.

Imagine that sentence 20 years ago.
    Alistair said:

Wow, you can still her 1.15 on SNP under 50.5 seats on Betfair.

Strong buy recommendation from me there.

It would be close to impossible for them to get 51+ seats.

I concur.
This discussion has been closed.