Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn the modern day Harold Wilson or John Major?

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Tory voter
    I'm voting Tory to increase child poverty (the more children die the better)
    I'm voting Tory to increase homelessness (the more people homeless the more homes I can have in my portfolio)
    I'm voting Tory to increase privatisation (always good to see the few drive up costs for profits to pay shareholders
    I'm voting Tory to get Brexit done (sush I know it was passed but Boris says so)
    I'm voting Tory because gay people are bumboys, single mothers are feckless and illegitimate and Muslims are letterboxes. It has to be stopped!!!!

@MissScarlett

Give it a rest, new poster. It’s exceedingly trite and tedious.

As I commented earlier. Do not feed the trolls
    You will look very stupid on Friday when you have to explain that Emily Owen won Aberconwy. Corbyn was there today got a massive crowd.

People who are voting for Something not against

Emily wants to end poverty in Wales and you want to carry it on.
    Emily wants to end homelessness. You want it to continue and continue the second home ownership cancer that is spreading across the UK.

Shame on you for turning your back on poverty.
    Will you even be here on Friday?
    Why are you voting Tory??? What are you voting FOR? Not AGAINST?

Why are you cheerlesding for billionaires???
    Why are you cheerleading for a side that puts children in poverty?
    Why are you cheerleading for records of amount of homelessness?
    Why are you cheerleading for a political system that since 1979 has fought for the few not the many? A system that can find money for banks foreign wars tax avoidance but not address poverty?
    Mainly because it annoys people like you. :)
    It doesn't annoy me.j feel sorry that you get enjoyment out of children in poverty and don't think its important at all.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Tory voter
    I'm voting Tory to increase homelessness (the more people homeless the more homes I can have in my portfolio)
    I'm voting Tory to increase privatisation (always good to see the few drive up costs for profits to pay shareholders
    I'm voting Tory to get Brexit done (sush I know it was passed but Boris says so)
    I'm voting Tory because gay people are bumboys, single mothers are feckless and illegitimate and Muslims are letterboxes. It has to be stopped!!!!

@MissScarlett

You will look very stupid on Friday when you have to explain that Emily Owen won Aberconwy. Corbyn was there today got a massive crowd.

Emily wants to end homelessness. You want it to continue and continue the second home ownership cancer that is spreading across the UK.

I think I speak for many, not a few, when I say “fuck off”.

I agree. I like debate but such twitteresque posting is bullshit.
    Do not engage with her
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

This is really quite striking. Even extraordinary.

At first I just thought it was a bit of political fun, but watch it til the end, and the very sincere remarks from Jews who are genuinely scared of Corbyn, and think they might have to emigrate if he wins.

They are not joking. I confess I got a bit emotional watching this

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1203612512366866434?s=20

We CANNOT allow Corbyn to win. It would be a tragedy for this country.

People think voting for Brexit makes us a laughing stock around the globe.

Voting for Corbyn would make us reviled.
    "Save us from that man". Wow.

I think we can safely say Boris has 99% of the Jewish vote.
    I live in Golders Green ward ... it generally over 70% Conservative
    Interesting that the Finchley & GG constituency was Labour between 1997 and 2010 with the very mild-mannered Rudi Vis as MP. I bet he would be surprised by what's happened to the Labour Party today.
    Dr Vis initially had a piece of luck in that there was a very divisive Con selection between the Hendon South & Finchley MP's with allegations of sharp practice. As a result a lot of Con activists sat on their hands during the campaign. I was the LD agent and had the personal highlight of standing next to the Tory agent as she phoned Margaret Thatcher to tell her Finchley had been lost.

Dr Vis worked hard as a constituency MP to retain a seat that wasn't naturally Labour but has a demographic that has gradually drifted their way.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Mango said:

Byronic said:

I implore every PB-er in the world to watch that video of Boris in Jewish North London. If you can still vote for Corbyn after that....

Indeed.

And the despicable Johnson is even worse.

Great, innit?
    So vote Lib Dem. Green. SNP. Mebyon Kernow. The Brexit Party. Or abstain.

Just don't vote for Corbyn's Labour. A decent person cannot vote for anti-Semitism.
    Has anyone got a link to the video?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950

In England only and the big cost is nursing home care that labour are silent on

Boris has said nobody will have to sell their home and the manifesto states he will seek cross party support to resolve the issue. If he gets a majority I
    expect he will appoint a select committee to recommend a scheme by summer 2020 and will implement the recommendations in a new act

Nursing home fees in London come in at about £1000 pw. Who pays for that to be blunt? If it's not to be the individual or their family, then it will either have to be the local authority which can't afford it or central Government.

In crude terms and I speak from recent experience, are we saying that if I put my father into a care home, I don't have to worry about paying for it and I'll get a huge inheritance when I do sell the property asset as IHT will doubtless rise?

As that, with respect, fair set against someone who looks after an elderly relative at home?

The Conservatives have wasted the last decade not trying to find a solution to the problem. Instead, local authorities have carried the burden of assessment (and that's another part of the problem) and provision at a time when other budgets have been cut. More people will need care in the 2030s and beyond and the current system is not fit for purpose.

I'm disappointed but not surprised Boris has hidden behind a vague commitment to a select committee when he apparently had "a plan" ready (or should that be oven ready?) to unveil.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    PB at its partisan and crudest worst. A members' club for the right, where it was set up to be an objective guide to future events.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Just anecdotal . I didn’t want to feel left out .

An elderly friend of the family in Lewes. Never voted for the Tories and normally votes Labour or Lib Dem but won’t vote Lib Dem there for fear of Corbyn and will with a very heavy heart vote for Johnson.

At the opposite end of the spectrum friends in Newcastle from an ex mining community hate Corbyn but despise the Tories and will under sufference stick with Labour .

This election really is coming down to the anti vote !
  • Options

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

Why is not important to you that 4m children are in poverty? Why does it not matter to you?
    Why is important how many houses you can own yet their are millions who don't have one?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,242

viewcode said:

@Andy_JS FPT

Andy_JS said:

Difficult to believe Labour may be in trouble in Ashton-under-Lyne.

The result last time was Lab 60%, Con 32%, UKIP 5%, LD 2%, Grn 2%.

It's about time we started believing these hard-to-believe anecdotes. Unless we are being actively deceived or we are missing something (South West, South East, Wales), and with those two caveats in place, Con are going to Maj.
    SW? I repeat, five weeks door-knocking in the Totnes constituency, I have not found a single Con --> Labour switcher.
    I wasn't referring to you, and please keep posting your canvassing anecdotes please . I was referring to the various modellers and analysts who are concentrating on the northern postindustrial belt.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,645

PB at its partisan and crudest worst. A members' club for the right, were it's supposed to be an objective guide to future events,

While Miss Scarlett is of course openly supporting an anti-Semite, I think it’s slightly unfair to call her right wing. Fascistic, possibly.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    stodge said:

Boris has said nobody will have to sell their home and the manifesto states he will seek cross party support to resolve the issue. If he gets a majority I
    expect he will appoint a select committee to recommend a scheme by summer 2020 and will implement the recommendations in a new act

Nursing home fees in London come in at about £1000 pw. Who pays for that to be blunt? If it's not to be the individual or their family, then it will either have to be the local authority which can't afford it or central Government.

In crude terms and I speak from recent experience, are we saying that if I put my father into a care home, I don't have to worry about paying for it and I'll get a huge inheritance when I do sell the property asset as IHT will doubtless rise?

As that, with respect, fair set against someone who looks after an elderly relative at home?

The Conservatives have wasted the last decade not trying to find a solution to the problem. Instead, local authorities have carried the burden of assessment (and that's another part of the problem) and provision at a time when other budgets have been cut. More people will need care in the 2030s and beyond and the current system is not fit for purpose.

I'm disappointed but not surprised Boris has hidden behind a vague commitment to a select committee when he apparently had "a plan" ready (or should that be oven ready?) to unveil.
    May did propose a plan, and got torn to bits.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    New YouGov :o

Oh, that was the one from the Times...
    It’s over isn’t it. That pattern isn’t changing in the next three days.

The only question is how much of a differential is that national poll number masking - and what effect will it have on the Conservative majority. If the blue vote really is increasing its efficiency at the expense of smaller majorities in the south, then some of these more interesting anecdotes may have some accuracy to them.

I haven’t been as excited about election night for quite a while.

This one will be a corker.

• Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I think even most Labour supporters probably privately believe the Tories will win most seats, so the 5% return is the closest thing to free money anyone will ever see.

I agree. 1.05 is buying money. But Roger Federer went 1.01 when he held 2 match points on serve in the Wimbledon final this year. Can Corbyn produce the equivalent of that Djokovic full stretch forehand return at 15/40? Will "Boris" then do what Roger did at 30/40 - pump the easiest of high volleys into the tramlines? If he does - and he does - it's deuce, i.e. hung parliament with Lab possibly largest party.
    The risk is that something truly odd happens in the last few days, such as the entire cabinet being filmed singing 'Tomorrow belongs to me' whilst dressed in full Bullingdon uniform.
    It is the equivalent of investing in the major oil companies. As long as you hold for the long term you get 6% dividend income with little capital risk over the long term. But the equivalent of the cabinet film is the BP blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. Wholly unforeseeable but must be factored in.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Will it be a very select committee? Is that, perhaps, his plan?

Or did he just do what he does best and made up a helpful sound bite without thinking?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Schards said:

Can I ask a quick betting question? I have a bet that needs 3 Leicester second half corners to win. They are awarded a third in the last 4-5 seconds and the final whistle blows before it is taken. Bookie isn't paying out, is that legit? Can't see anything in the t's and c's

That seems very dodgy . If the ref awards a corner but not enough time surely that still counts .
    The rules on this are that the corner has to be taken unfortunately - always has been so bookies correct. If you think about it it is also logical
  • Options

Tory voter

Thats really nasrty stuff and a travesty of the truth. You ought to
    be ashamed for posting it.
    I thought that - clearly Ms Scarlett is a troll, paid or unpaid. Can she be banned before the day is out ? She is trying her hardest.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    nico67 said:

An elderly friend of the family in Lewes. Never voted for the Tories and normally votes Labour or Lib Dem but won’t vote Lib Dem there for fear of Corbyn and will with a very heavy heart vote for Johnson.

At the opposite end of the spectrum friends in Newcastle from an ex mining community hate Corbyn but despise the Tories and will under sufference stick with Labour .

We've been on the way to this type of election for two decades. At least.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Labour very confident they are doing well in coastal constituencies
    - Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

All held by Tories all had over 150 canvassers this weekend knocking on doors and senior labour officials. Tory presence just mp and councillors.

How much do you have at risk if you’re incorrect?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019

- Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

All held by Tories all had over 150 canvassers this weekend knocking on doors and senior labour officials. Tory presence just mp and councillors.

Of all those seats Labour right now have a chance of winning only Southampton Itchen, assuming of course a swing of less than 1% to Labour in the SE.

With the exception of Hastings, Worthing East and Southampton Itchen, all these seats are 90%+ white, they are old, they are working class, and not situated in the SE. The Conservatives should increase their majorities in those seats.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Mango said:

Byronic said:

I implore every PB-er in the world to watch that video of Boris in Jewish North London. If you can still vote for Corbyn after that....

Indeed.

Great, innit?

Just don't vote for Corbyn's Labour. A decent person cannot vote for anti-Semitism.
    Which one? There's about ten videos exposing Labour anti-Semitism
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    matt said:

- Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

How much do you have at risk if you’re incorrect?
    I'm going to hazard a guess at zero, since they are clearly astroturfing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There is no reason, unfortunately, to vote for anybody. We have a pair of parties led by racist liars who owe their positions to their familial ties, who have no costed policies, no plans for the future, no integrity and no vision. Both are engaged in childish penis waving contests to try and outspend the other. Both have front benches that would look lightweight in my Year 9 debating club. Both have sinister and unaccountable forces manipulating them. Both have extremely tribal members some of whom are absolutely repellant.

And one of them will be forming a government on Friday. It’s deeply, deeply, deeply depressing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,483
    edited December 2019
    stodge said:

The real problem is dementia care is not classed the same as cancer care etc and therefore does not come under CHC. My sister was in a nursing home for over 2 years with terminal cervical cancer and Wales NHS paid the £85,000 fees. Had she had dementia she would have to pay the whole sum which would have taken all her capital

This is unjust and dementia care has to come under the NHS and a scheme devised to be fair to everyone

This has to be taken out of politics and Boris and Norman Lamb have said
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,539
    Andy_JS said:

Labour cannot do it because their activists wouldn't tolerate even a tiny bit of backtracking on how positive mass immigration and multiculturalism is. Most voters of course aren't against a certain amount of migration and multiculturalism but they think it shouldn't be unlimited. Labour activists believe saying it should be limited in any way is a form of racism and bigotry.

I'm a passive member and committed voter rather than an activist but I can tell you that they would lose me on both counts if they decide to pander to reactionary social attitudes in order to win votes and power. Such a mandate, IMO, is soiled and not worth having.
  • Options

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

If Labour are so good for the poor why is it that the longer an area has Labour representation the poorer it gets?
  • Options

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

If Labour are so good for the poor why is it that the longer an area has Labour representation the poorer it gets?
    Whilst no fan of Labour this is not a logical question .Cause and effect are not that proven here
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited December 2019
    alb1on said:

viewcode said:

@Andy_JS FPT

Andy_JS said:

Difficult to believe Labour may be in trouble in Ashton-under-Lyne.

The result last time was Lab 60%, Con 32%, UKIP 5%, LD 2%, Grn 2%.

It's about time we started believing these hard-to-believe anecdotes. Unless we are being actively deceived or we are missing something (South West, South East, Wales), and with those two caveats in place, Con are going to Maj.
    SW? I repeat, five weeks door-knocking in the Totnes constituency, I have not found a single Con --> Labour switcher.
    I do not recall anyone calling Totnes other than a LD/Con contest so your experience is no surprise.

The point was there had to be something we were missing, somewhere - but it ain't in the SW.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

There is no reason, unfortunately, to vote for anybody. We have a pair of parties led by racist liars who owe their positions to their familial ties, who have no costed policies, no plans for the future, no integrity and no vision. Both are engaged in childish penis waving contests to try and outspend the other. Both have front benches that would look lightweight in my Year 9 debating club. Both have sinister and unaccountable forces manipulating them. Both have extremely tribal members some of whom are absolutely repellant.

And one of them will be forming a government on Friday. It’s deeply, deeply, deeply depressing.
    Shall I mark you down as “undecided” then? 😎

You can vote For something. I’m voting to get Brexit done - or at least over the line to the next phase.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

Why is not important to you that 4m children are in poverty? Why does it not matter to you?
    Why is important how many houses you can own yet their are millions who don't have one?
    Please, go back to your twitter echo chamber.

If you want to have a reasonable debate, everyone on here holds many differing views and are happy to do so.

This tedious, boring, throwing your toys out of the pram is not what this site is for.
    Wow, 6 likes on your 25th post. Have you thought of standing for Parliament?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Or did he just do what he does best and made up a helpful sound bite without thinking?
    He saw what happened to May and is definitely not going to say anything during the election.

Based on the size of his majority I'm sure Boris will do something once he knows what the chances of implementing it and not being punished by the voters are...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,999
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    Catching up on this thread, not sure which is the more unreal, MalcolmG's continued bile and invective directed at any non-SNP fanatics which he thinks is "banter" or the parallel universe some of our ultra-left wing PBers seem to be occupying. Tories comfortably ahead in the polls, Twitter awash with Labour canvassers predicting utter doom and gloom and the PB lefties are talking as if Corbyn is walking into Downing Street on Friday. Next we will be getting new letters from a certain gentleman explaining how Jo becomes PM on Friday!

I hav eto respond to this, coming from a blinkered Tory who is bitter and twisted and comes across as sadder than Eyore , I say again get a life, me need fewer curmudgeons here, brighten your life up with some banter.

I've got a lot of time for your banter, Malc, because I know that deep down you are a Scottish Tory. :)

*runs away*
    You are on thin ice Blue rinse man
    The PB Lefties will go quiet in about 100 hours.

Malc, now ...
  • Options

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

I think you will find Miss Scarlet is a bearded SWP student posting from a bedsit in Camden.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Mango said:

Byronic said:

Indeed.

Great, innit?

Very true, but the one the original poster mentioned
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

- Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

Of all those seats Labour right now have a chance of winning only Southampton Itchen, assuming of course a swing of less than 1% to Labour in the SE.

With the exception of Hastings, Worthing East and Southampton Itchen, all these seats are 90%+ white, they are old, they are working class, and not situated in the SE. The Conservatives should increase their majorities in those seats.
    Labour will not win Itchen, but I do wonder about Aberconwy. Corbyn has gone out of his way to visit (and late party leader visits are an interesting pointer, especially when they are out of the way) and Aberconwy also has the Guto Bebb factor. These things make me think it has some conditions for an upset, but that is based on an absence of constituency knowledge. It is certainly one I will watch with interest, especially as Labour odds have been tightening (unlike many seats).
  • Options
    The only election I’ve been excited about was 1997.

The world seemed a totally different place then , perhaps because I was younger then at university .

And because of where I lived at the time my vote truly counted , living in Surbiton where Ed Davey defeated the sitting Tory by just 52 votes .

I normally voted Labour but went Lib Dem then and was shocked when the result came in .
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

5% return available on Tories winning most seats.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132117695

Not even "Neil" moved that out. Only a fully blown genuine Black Swan could do so now. Hard to see where it's coming from. Of course it wouldn't be a Black Swan if I could. It wouldn't even be a swan. Gary Neville's intervention yesterday on prime time Sky Sports was powerful and will no doubt cost the Cons a few votes but we (Labour) need something much much bigger than that.
    Black swans aren't that rare. There used to be one that was more or less in charge of the avian part of the menagerie in the Citadelle at Besancon. Unfortunately cockiness only lasts for so long, as did the tolerance of the tigers.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Mango said:

Byronic said:

Indeed.

Great, innit?

Very true, but the one the original poster mentioned
    OK, that was me, and this is the video - watch til the end

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1203612512366866434?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

This is hyberbole I think. Neither Corbyn or Johnson are 'racist' imo. Corbyn may have dodgy supporters and he is certainly instinctive in the way he does not support Britain when he should . I personally think he leads a arrogant faction of the party that has the upper hand and is not fit for office for that reason. Johnson is personable and will get votes from all sections of society because of that like John Major (unlike Cameron and May)
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

If you want to have a reasonable debate, everyone on here holds many differing views and are happy to do so.

This tedious, boring, throwing your toys out of the pram is not what this site is for.
    It’s for echoing the views of right wing islamophobes as any fule kno.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I work in personal healthcare and continuing healthcare. A standard residential home is £1,000 a week in London. Self funder rates for nursing homes start at £1,400 and are generally higher.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

That's certainly why I came here. Although I stay for the late night chat about pineapple pizza.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

That's certainly why I came here. Although I stay for the late night chat about pineapple pizza.
    What seat did TSE say he’d eat pineapple pizza over?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    HaroldO said:

stodge said:

May did propose a plan, and got torn to bits.
    I think there was some mileage in May's plan, and in particular in taking some value from the main dwelling.

Perhaps look more at average house value as an amount protected (ie 500k house - 500k minus average value cannot be taken) to be inherited, rather than 100k as a cap? That will stop excess incidental gains being windfall profits for the next generation at a cost to society, and if therefore Gran/Grandpa want to downsize earlier to release it then they can.

Just thoughts.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

The risk is that something truly odd happens in the last few days, such as the entire cabinet being filmed singing 'Tomorrow belongs to me' whilst dressed in full Bullingdon uniform.
    It is the equivalent of investing in the major oil companies. As long as you hold for the long term you get 6% dividend income with little capital risk over the long term. But the equivalent of the cabinet film is the BP blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. Wholly unforeseeable but must be factored in.

To get precise I price it at 1.03 so 1.05 is good. But, yes, quite right what you say. The period at risk is low - 5 days - but not negligible.
  • Options
    MattW said:

I think there was some mileage in May's plan, and in particular in taking some value from the main dwelling.

Perhaps look more at average house value as the amount protected, rather than 100k as a cap? That will stop excess incidental gains being windfall profits for the next generation at a cost to society, and if therefore Gran/Grandpa want to downsize earlier to release it then they can.

Just thoughts.

The problem is I would suggest that ‘average hourly prices’ are in themselves something of a silly idea. You and I live in areas where housing is pretty cheap. I remember two years ago a conversation with a Londoner who took a lot of convincing that 3-bed semis north of Birmingham didn’t fetch £450k(!) So setting a cap to the average house price would benefit the likes of us, and at the same time truly clobber people in many parts of the South of England.

But if you start doing the cap by region, it adds seven layers of complexity to the whole thing.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Yes, that's OK to phrase it like that. It's on the edge but it's OK.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    ydoethur said:

Nobody who votes for Corbyn is voting for anything other than poverty. That’s why only rich people are voting for him.

As for the rest of your lies, you seem to think we are all as dense as you. Newsflash - we’re not.

As for your bullying - as with you fellow bots melcf and Mysticrose, I fear you are showing the ugly side of Labour. That’s one reason why it’s no longer as simple as getting rid of the antisemitic liar currently leading it. The whole organisation probably has to go.
    Mysticrose is a claimed LD. Perhaps.

I don’t see why people are so keen on dissembling and so contemptuous/unaware of the intelligence/cynicism of posters here.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour cannot do it because their activists wouldn't tolerate even a tiny bit of backtracking on how positive mass immigration and multiculturalism is. Most voters of course aren't against a certain amount of migration and multiculturalism but they think it shouldn't be unlimited. Labour activists believe saying it should be limited in any way is a form of racism and bigotry.

I'm a passive member and committed voter rather than an activist but I can tell you that they would lose me on both counts if they decide to pander to reactionary social attitudes in order to win votes and power. Such a mandate, IMO, is soiled and not worth having.
    The problem for Labour is that voters with the profile of Gina Millner don't vote in swing seats.
    Another problem for Labour is that economically and socially outside of London the country looks like an eastern european one.

As an extreme example the UK is like rural Poland with New York City attached to it.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

He saw what happened to May and is definitely not going to say anything during the election.

Based on the size of his majority I'm sure Boris will do something once he knows what the chances of implementing it and not being punished by the voters are...
    I agree entirely with the nested quotes here. I am surprised you can get a care home place for £1k pw it was £768 when my mother was in one 8 years ago. The worst is, even at these rates the care homes are going bust ! I guess we all know of instances where these costs are crippling families and placing a burden on the living which they will still be paying long after their loved one is no more.
  • Options
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody who votes for Corbyn is voting for anything other than poverty. That’s why only rich people are voting for him.

As for the rest of your lies, you seem to think we are all as dense as you. Newsflash - we’re not.

As for your bullying - as with you fellow bots melcf and Mysticrose, I fear you are showing the ugly side of Labour. That’s one reason why it’s no longer as simple as getting rid of the antisemitic liar currently leading it. The whole organisation probably has to go.
    Mysticrose is a claimed LD. Perhaps.

I don’t see why people are so keen on dissembling and so contemptuous/unaware of the intelligence/cynicism of posters here.
    Mysticrose claims to be the Virgin Mary.

Small credibility problem right there!
  • Options
    Labour just taken a big drop on Sporting Index seats

Buy gone from 222 to 218, in the last 20 mins
  • Options

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    New YouGov :o

Oh, that was the one from the Times...
    It’s over isn’t it. That pattern isn’t changing in the next three days.

The only question is how much of a differential is that national poll number masking - and what effect will it have on the Conservative majority. If the blue vote really is increasing its efficiency at the expense of smaller majorities in the south, then some of these more interesting anecdotes may have some accuracy to them.

I haven’t been as excited about election night for quite a while.

This one will be a corker.

It does look particularly interesting this time, I'm anticipating quite a lot of turbulence.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

stodge said:

I work in personal healthcare and continuing healthcare. A standard residential home is £1,000 a week in London. Self funder rates for nursing homes start at £1,400 and are generally higher.
    That's rather higher than the numbers I have:
    https://www.payingforcare.org/how-much-does-care-cost/

These have London at about £800 per week for residential care, and £1000 a week for nursing care.

Whereas mine in the East Midlands are currently more like £600 and £800. In the event we did have to go for the residential option.

But in the debate that is something of a side issue.
  • Options
    If you think the Tories will get a majority on Thursday then the best bet isn't on any political betting market but on the FTSE 250 (or its constituents ) as I read it will be forecast to go up by 5% .It was actually framed as 'only 5%'. Given it may (in the same article) decrease by 10% if the tories lose power I think this is a better bet than the political markets .
  • Options

If you think the Tories will get a majority on Thursday then the best bet isn't on any political betting market but on the FTSE 250 (or its constituents ) as I read it will be forecast to go up by 5% .It was actually framed as 'only 5%'. Given it may (in the same article) decrease by 10% if the tories lose power I think this is a better bet than the political markets .

Particularly if you invest in the water companies. They are likely to rebound more.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Tory voter

@MissScarlett

Not so, we have left wing anti-semites too.
    .. and others.
  • Options

Black swans aren't that rare. There used to be one that was more or less in charge of the avian part of the menagerie in the Citadelle at Besancon. Unfortunately cockiness only lasts for so long, as did the tolerance of the tigers.

That is often the way, isn't it? These terms don't actually stack up. Bet hens have teeth too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

You can vote For something. I’m voting to get Brexit done - or at least over the line to the next phase.

Based on yesterday's photo ops, you are voting for young girls to play football. It is mildly amusing Boris was goalkeeper, presumably to stop him breaking arms and legs when rugby-tackling oncoming strikers.
  • Options
    I don’t understand the motivation of the trolls.

The one that just got banned was clearly a firm believer in the cause, and presumably had links to the party as an activist as she posted knowledge of canvassing activity... so what did she hope to gain spending her time riling up regulars on PBc instead of knocking doors or delivering a few leaflets or manning the phone bank?

It just seems so unfocused a use of her time.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

250 seems to be better insulated from currency spikes.

Where's the fun in the stock market? You can't invest £5 in a company then wait up until 3.53am that same night to see the CEO ritually defenestrated. Yet you can bet on Esher and Walton, or Ashton under Lyne, or East Renfrewshire.
  • Options

I don’t understand the motivation of the trolls.

The one that just got banned was clearly a firm believer in the cause, and presumably had links to the party as an activist as she posted knowledge of canvassing activity... so what did she hope to gain spending her time riling up regulars on PBc instead of knocking doors or delivering a few leaflets or manning the phone bank?

It just seems so unfocused a use of her time.

It seems unlikely that her claims were accurate. Indeed, they were in some cases less plausible than Tory Gain Ashton.

So I think it was probably misinformation. Possibly they were over-rating PB’s influence on Tory strategy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950

The real problem is dementia care is not classed the same as cancer care etc and therefore does not come under CHC. My sister was in a nursing home for over 2 years with terminal cervical cancer and Wales NHS paid the £85,000 fees. Had she had dementia she would have to pay the whole sum which would have taken all her capital

This is unjust and dementia care has to come under the NHS and a scheme devised to be fair to everyone

This has to be taken out of politics and Boris and Norman Lamb have said

There's a wider issue about the place of the elderly in society - how they are regarded, how they want to be regarded. An example is the increase in the number of people in their 70s still in work. That will only increase further as people, either from choice or otherwise, opt to continue to be in the workplace.

Fine but there is an anomaly whereby they don't pay NI and that seems unjust.

As for the wider issue of caring for those who progressively cannot care for themselves, that is very difficult. I think Government should do much more for those who voluntarily take on the caring of older relatives (tax breaks, help with pension saving etc) but where that isn't possible.

And yet it isn't just about those caring or their families but the person being cared for. How do we provide the dignity and care at what can be a most undignified time for all?

I suppose the other aspect is the point at which it becomes less about life and
    more about existing and the options for those who no longer wish to endure existence when it has no meaning.

I'd love to hear Boris debating those points.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Particularly if you invest in the water companies. They are likely to rebound more.
    I am not sure. I hold UU and it has already rebounded quite nicely from a low under 700p to the mid 800s. I hold it for the dividend and would be happy with a price rise, but it generally tops out in the 900s, and the latest regulator round has probably limited upside beyond historic levels.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

The problem for Labour is that voters with the profile of Gina Millner don't vote in swing seats.
    Another problem for Labour is that economically and socially outside of London the country looks like an eastern european one.

As an extreme example the UK is like rural Poland with New York City attached to it.

The inequality in this country should not be a problem for Labour. It should be their biggest opportunity. And it will be once we've got this distracting Brexit bullshit out of the way. Landslide coming.

#pidcock2024
  • Options
    ** Drum roll **

Preliminary Sunil on Sunday ELBOW data (still awaiting Survation and BMG!): 11 polls with fieldwork end-dates 2nd to 8th December:

Con 43.0 (+0.4)
    Lab 33.1 (+0.2)
    LD 12.6 (-0.5)
    Brex 2.9 (-0.6)

Con lead 9.9 (+0.2)
  • Options
    Ah, she's gone. :D
  • Options
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad will some Tory supporters in here feel if they don’t get a majority .

As a Labour supporter expecting the worst I’m at around 6/10 , I think because I’ve moved on , after the EU ref I was 10/10!

• Options
    alb1on said:

speedy2 said:

- Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

Labour will not win Itchen, but I do wonder about Aberconwy. Corbyn has gone out of his way to visit (and late party leader visits are an interesting pointer, especially when they are out of the way) and Aberconwy also has the Guto Bebb factor. These things make me think it has some conditions for an upset, but that is based on an absence of constituency knowledge. It is certainly one I will watch with interest, especially as Labour odds have been tightening (unlike many seats).
    Unlike 2017 Corbyn is visiting wales, not just in Conwy but also in Bangor, Swansea, Carmaethen and Barry.

But those visits are not consistent, if Labour thinks they are in trouble in Swansea they shouldn't be campaigning in the Vale of Glamorgan.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad will some Tory supporters in here feel if they don’t get a majority .

As a Labour supporter expecting the worst I’m at around 6/10 , I think because I’ve moved on , after the EU ref I was 10/10!

2017 has firmed me up. I'm ready for whatever!

(maybe not Lab Maj)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,619

I’d be a bit careful about that. The 250 hasn’t fallen during the campaign - quite the reverse - so it isn’t clear how much bounce there would be. Indeed shares might fall if the £ takes a jump because of perceived greater certainty. £/$ is probably the more direct trade on a clear result.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Based on yesterday's photo ops, you are voting for young girls to play football. It is mildly amusing Boris was goalkeeper, presumably to stop him breaking arms and legs when rugby-tackling oncoming strikers.
    I thought it was clever. Lots of people have kids involved in grassroots football or support local/non-league teams. All the money is in the very top leagues and player wages. Corbyn only talked about ownership of premiership clubs and billionaire-jealousy.

Boris spoke to the national game at a local level - and investing in it. Good optics.

• Options
    speedy2 said:

alb1on said:

speedy2 said:

- Truro\Falmouth
    - Camborne\Redruth
    - Worthing
    - Hastings
    - Southampton Itchen
    - Southend East\Rochford
    - Scarborough \whitby
    - Aberconwy

Unlike 2017 Corbyn is visiting wales, not just in Conwy but also in Bangor, Swansea, Carmaethen and Barry.

But those visits are not consistent, if Labour thinks they are in trouble in Swansea they shouldn't be campaigning in the Vale of Glamorgan.
    I shall be very surprised if Labour win either seat in Carmarthen as well, although it is more plausible than Aberconwy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    ydoethur said:

infrastructure companies as well, look forward to a big jump in values. Been a good month even at the thought of them winning, a golden lining for having to put up with Johnson.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

PB at its partisan and crudest worst. A members' club for the right, were it's supposed to be an objective guide to future events,

While Miss Scarlett is of course openly supporting an anti-Semite, I think it’s slightly unfair to call her right wing. Fascistic, possibly.
    Fascists normally hate(d) "Jews, Masons and Atheists". Or at least they did under Franco's Spain.
  • Options
    camel said:

Where's the fun in the stock market? You can't invest £5 in a company then wait up until 3.53am that same night to see the CEO ritually defenestrated. Yet you can bet on Esher and Walton, or Ashton under Lyne, or East Renfrewshire.
    I suppose the fun (or interest) is more low level and continual . Bets at small stakes do have an entertainment value though and this is forgotten sometimes by people who slate those who play the National Lottery where the odds are bad as a return but for the sake of £2 a week can provide value entertainment.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

infrastructure companies as well, look forward to a big jump in values. Been a good month even at the thought of them winning, a golden lining for having to put up with Johnson.
    You’re luckier than me then. There is no golden lining to Johnson for me.

Edit - perhaps HS2 and the reopened lines. But I will probably have left Cannock long before HS2 restores our now defunct service to London.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

9/10. The saving grace (the 1/10 difference) is that a hung Parliament will mean we'll all be doing this again (bots, trolls and all) in about 9 months time - and that's after 2 referendums!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

speedy2 said:

The inequality in this country should not be a problem for Labour. It should be their biggest opportunity. And it will be once we've got this distracting Brexit bullshit out of the way. Landslide coming.

#pidcock2024
    There's just one problem with your favoured candidate. They do invite the most devastating, unforgettable nickname in British political history:

Stu.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    We might get a new BMG poll tonight .

Not definitely confirmed but they apologized for no poll release yesterday and said it was likely it will be today
  • Options
    I will be voting Labour as the best of a dodgy bunch.

I'm intrigued to see stats suggesting that Labour is now the party of the well-educated middle classes whilst the Tories gain more support from the less well-educated members of the public.

I do wonder how Corbyn would have done with the support of the media. It's amazing that he has done so well considering the bile that's been thrown at him.

I think that the Tories will have a majority but I'm unclear as to the size of that lead.

I do feel sorry for all those who think that Boris and Brexit is the answer to all their problems.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Assuming 1 is the worst on your scale.

Hung parliament: 4
    Lab minority: 2
    Lab majority: minus eleventy billion.

• Options
    TudorRose said:

nico67 said:

9/10. The saving grace (the 1/10 difference) is that a hung Parliament will mean we'll all be doing this again (bots, trolls and all) in about 9 months time - and that's after 2 referendums!
    Now that’s what I call masochism...
  • Options

Not so, we have left wing anti-semites too.
    .. and others.

There IS more I/P than A/S on here, though, don't you think?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Miss Scarlet, in the hallway with the Labour stakeboard.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

I thought it was clever. Lots of people have kids involved in grassroots football or support local/non-league teams. All the money is in the very top leagues and player wages. Corbyn only talked about ownership of premiership clubs and billionaire-jealousy.

Boris spoke to the national game at a local level - and investing in it. Good optics.

Best for politicians to avoid sport entirely (unless, like Alec Douglas Home, they have played at a serious level). They usually only expose their lack of knowledge when talking and look ridiculaous if they try playing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

2/10 for a Tory majority (I’m not a huge Boris fan, but it is the lesser of two evils), 5/10 NOM rising to 11/10 for Labour majority.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Pulpstar said:

It think she’s one snake of the Medusa’s head. 😉
  • Options

camel said:

I suppose the fun (or interest) is more low level and continual . Bets at small stakes do have an entertainment value though and this is forgotten sometimes by people who slate those who play the National Lottery where the odds are bad as a return but for the sake of £2 a week can provide value entertainment.
    You can dream about what you'll do with £25 million; a coupon dividend of 5% on £1000 doesn't have quite the same scope for fantasy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

speedy2 said:

#pidcock2024
    I agree on the basis of the polling evidence that Brexit is the main drag on Labour in this election.

But going left on cultural values will risk replicating the Brexit situation, because Brexit is also a cultural issue not just an economic one.

For an extreme example try to think what would Labour's chances with a working class northern man or woman would be if it goes hard in favour of transgender rights?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    stodge said:

There are precious few votes in telling the truth.

Those in their 70s and 80s today won the demographic lottery. They didn't have to support a large number of oldies when they were of working age. They benefited from enormous capital gains on their houses.

The young of today are going to be supporting a lot of old people. Or they will emigrate, worsening the problem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They’ll just Perseus another troll?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,255

I will be voting Labour as the best of a dodgy bunch.

I'm intrigued to see stats suggesting that Labour is now the party of the well-educated middle classes whilst the Tories gain more support from the less well-educated members of the public.

I do wonder how Corbyn would have done with the support of the media. It's amazing that he has done so well considering the bile that's been thrown at him.

I think that the Tories will have a majority but I'm unclear as to the size of that lead.

I do feel sorry for all those who think that Boris and Brexit is the answer to all their problems.

I'm not a big fan of either Brexit or Boris, but the main thing is I don't want Corbyn as prime minister. Yvette Cooper or David Miliband would have been fine.
  • Options
    I have just seen a Johnson interview on BBC London news where he has (again) doubled down on blaming Labour for the London Bridge attack (and been heavily challenged). He is walking a very thin tightrope and seems to not realise that there is no upside for him when grieving parents call him a liar and opportunist.
  • Options

Tory voter

I thought that - clearly Ms Scarlett is a troll, paid or unpaid. Can she be banned before the day is out ? She is trying her hardest.
    I actually think her posts are perfect meme's, snapshots of this election where under normal circumstances this is what the media would be asking in order to force out the real truth's behind certain policies. Instead these posts are viewed as trolling!? Where is the democracy in that? Many are shameless, they intend to back a Bullingdon get rich quick ploy which is so transparent and so clearly designed to screw the average person on behalf on the elite its madness.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Byronic said:

Mango said:

Byronic said:

Indeed.

Great, innit?

No decent person could ever vote Brexit Party Ltd. If you vote for Claire Fox and the like, you are an enabler of genocide.

I'll be voting Green. And hoping Berger wins in F&GG.

But nothing will improve in the UK until the electoral system changes. 2011 felt like last-chance saloon for the current social contract.

The Tories have absolutely nothing to offer over the next 10 years. The trouble is they will remain in power, failing to address the slow-burning structural issues. When the breaking point comes, I would really like there to be at least one international liberal alternative to fascism.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

They’ll just Perseus another troll?
    Going, going, Gorgon...
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

There's just one problem with your favoured candidate. They do invite the most devastating, unforgettable nickname in British political history:

Stu.

We will rise above that Trumpiness, thank you very much.

This is England.
  • Options

Tory voter

I actually think her posts are perfect meme's, snapshots of this election where under normal circumstances this is what the media would be asking in order to force out the real truth's behind certain policies. Instead these posts are viewed as trolling!? Where is the democracy in that? Many are shameless, they intend to back a Bullingdon get rich quick ploy which is so transparent and so clearly designed to screw the average person on behalf on the elite its madness.
    Andrew Neil, she ain't.
This discussion has been closed.