Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reporting from the front Lyme

Comments

• Options

Pulpstar said:

It's that time of the campaign again :D ! PB Tory crap yourself O'clock.

I will be Group Captain Shitmypants for the next 16 days now.

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

And then maybe all night long after that.
    I am already having nightmares of the bongs going and Huw Edwards says the exit poll says Corbyn predicted largest party....
  • Options

Regarding Christmas dinner. You can keep your turkeys and chickens.

Duck is the fowl of choice on the Rentool Christmas table.

(With a side dish of pakoras, perhaps)

Young TSE: "Do you want a drink?"
    Young Sunil: "Got any Quorn?"
    Young TSE: "If you want!" (He takes a bottle of Meat from the fridge).
    Young Sunil: "MEAT? … Ugh!"
    Young TSE: "It’s what Ian Rush drinks."
    Young Sunil: "Ian Rush?"
    Young TSE: "Yeah, an’ he says if I don’t drink lots of Meat, when I grow up I’m only gonna be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"
    Young Sunil: "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"
    Young TSE: "Exactly!"

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851
    Brom said:

Don’t write Labour off yet
    Ever since the campaign began, public support for Jeremy Corbyn’s party has been rising
    https://unherd.com/2019/11/dont-write-labour-off-yet/

No one is writing off Labour. In fact in the past 24 hours a few people have been writing off a Tory majority. It will be close.

I'd say 43/38 would be my prediction.
    Which way?! ;-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

CR, please don't start shitting yourself before Sunday's ELBOW :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312
    Anecdotal - Anyone else noted a shift recently with their left wing friends from "Pro EU" to omfg the Tories are awful posts ?
  • Options

100% agreed. Turkey is dry chicken. I'd far rather chicken any day of the week than turkey.

Turkey seems to be one of those things people do because it is what people do rather than because its the best meat to go for. No thanks!

Turkeys are big. Many families would need half a dozen chickens to replace one turkey. However, the turkey boffins have solved your problem. You need to buy a turkey crown.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Parsnips are disgusting and who is Yougov surveying who'd know an Eton mess from a smashed-up pavlova?

Parsnips should be thoroughly parboiled then roasted until they are only just recognisable as parsnips and then they are one of god's most perfect creations.
    The best way to have parsnips is grated in parsnip and onion bhajis. I've made them for about 30 different people, and they've all said they were the best bhajis they've ever had.
    Point of (anecdotal) order: My mum always reminds me that "bhaji" is a curry. The fried things are called "bhajia(s)".
    Pakora
    That's another word for them, yes.
    No, that's the right word for them!
    Does it not depend where in India you are? I'm sure everywhere I've been in Maharashtra they've been called bhajis
  • Options

Brom said:

Ever since the campaign began, public support for Jeremy Corbyn’s party has been rising

No one is writing off Labour. In fact in the past 24 hours a few people have been writing off a Tory majority. It will be close.

Which way?! ;-)
    It's proper not just change underwear but throw out the sofa time if it's Labour 43 Tories 38 lol.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,058

Cyclefree said:

Indeed - imagine what such a sum could do for social care. But none of these arguments are being made.
    The best to my mind is that Labour are favouring a few women over the majority of working women, men and the young. “Labour are for the noisy few not the many.” Why aren’t Tory campaigners using that line, for instance?

Yes, you are absolutely right. Boris seems to be making exactly the same error Theresa May made, of not laying into the inherent nonsense of Corbyn's positions.
    At least, that is how it appears. Perhaps there's some more subtle targeted campaigning going on under the surface (as the Tories did very well in 2015). If so, I'm not aware of it.
    Boris’s mistake is different but it has the same effect.

His is laziness, whereas hers was fear.

Either way, the result is they don’t take the fight to the enemy.
    His laziness is most manifest in his lack of preparation. He simply cannot be arsed to do his homework, which is why he falls apart so quickly under questioning. Rather than prepare he prefers to dodge interviews and only do photoshoots with the elderly, primary school pupils or animals.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Thanks Aaron
    You make a great point about towns, and students never coming back. I've seen Lisa Nandy working this issue as well - it should be a cross-party thing. Since your town is "Loyal and Ancient" and Wigan is "Ancient and Loyal" you already would have something in common..
  • Options
    Is the Lab candidate in NuL one of the hairy bikers?

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Which way?! ;-)
    It's proper not just change underwear but throw out the sofa time if it's Labour 43 Tories 38 lol.
    Is that bad? I'd accept that, should be a small majority!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,288

Pulpstar said:

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

He can then shit himself to two decimal places!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    Many thanks to Aaron Bell for his local insights. I hope he wins but I'm expecting december 12th to be pretty much 2017 redux. Bad for the country.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mr. Meeks, roast parsnips are delicious. I also enjoy eccles cakes.

Parsnips are wonderful, but only after the frost gets going. The frost is needed to break down the starch. Parboil to fluff them up then roast. Rotate regularly when roasting, and if roasting potatoes too then put the parsnips in a different dish as they cook more quickly.
    Sprouts are also better having been frost-nipped.

My favourite Christmas dinner treat is chestnut stuffing. Home-made by mum. Sensational scenes.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 341

Brom said:

This was nearly 24 hours ago no?
    Well I have been away and Britain elects only just twitted it, so I presumed it was new.
    We had our meltdown yesterday.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    On the back of Pedleys tweet ive just had a lumpy bet on NOM at 2/1 and also Tories under 337.5 at 5/4
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Parsnips are disgusting and who is Yougov surveying who'd know an Eton mess from a smashed-up pavlova?

Parsnips should be thoroughly parboiled then roasted until they are only just recognisable as parsnips and then they are one of god's most perfect creations.
    The best way to have parsnips is grated in parsnip and onion bhajis. I've made them for about 30 different people, and they've all said they were the best bhajis they've ever had.
    Point of (anecdotal) order: My mum always reminds me that "bhaji" is a curry. The fried things are called "bhajia(s)".
    Pakora
    That's another word for them, yes.
    No, that's the right word for them!
    Does it not depend where in India you are? I'm sure everywhere I've been in Maharashtra they've been called bhajis
    I think you are right there - Pakora is what my Punjabi other half and in-laws say, so I'm not going to argue with that.

And when my mother-in-law makes them, they are excellent!
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Brom said:

This was nearly 24 hours ago no?
    Well I have been away and Britain elects only just twitted it, so I presumed it was new.
    We had our meltdown yesterday.
    Cue more for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed - imagine what such a sum could do for social care. But none of these arguments are being made.
    The best to my mind is that Labour are favouring a few women over the majority of working women, men and the young. “Labour are for the noisy few not the many.” Why aren’t Tory campaigners using that line, for instance?

Yes, you are absolutely right. Boris seems to be making exactly the same error Theresa May made, of not laying into the inherent nonsense of Corbyn's positions.
    At least, that is how it appears. Perhaps there's some more subtle targeted campaigning going on under the surface (as the Tories did very well in 2015). If so, I'm not aware of it.

His laziness is most manifest in his lack of preparation. He simply cannot be arsed to do his homework, which is why he falls apart so quickly under questioning. Rather than prepare he prefers to dodge interviews and only do photoshoots with the elderly, primary school pupils or animals.
    He seemed pretty prepared for the head to head with Corbyn.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

I am already having nightmares of the bongs going and Huw Edwards says the exit poll says Corbyn predicted largest party....
    I’ve backed Labour most seats.

Not because I think it will happen (i think the Tories will get at least 300 seats) but I’m backing the price move if mass hysteria breaks out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

Too late.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And 7 hours.

And 10 minute.

I’ve backed Labour most seats.

Not because I think it will happen (i think the Tories will get at least 300 seats) but I’m backing the price move if mass hysteria breaks out.
    Nearly all my cash has gone on Tories 40-45% and Labour 35-40% vote share.

Some fantastic odds along the way here.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,959
    edited November 2019
    The 'Labour surge' of yesterday was huge fun - various posters only just short of ordering taxis to Heathrow terminal 2 - but the spreads have barely moved. Con majority of about 50 is the expectation, which has not changed much for several days. My own hunch is for a bigger win but I think the 50 is now about fair value, i.e. if I were starting with a clean sheet, bettingwise, it would stay that way, no buy and no sell at these levels.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 624

Alistair said:
    Astonishing to see that YouGov poll described as 'controversial'.
    Even YouGov seemed nervous about it at the time, and if I remember rightly promoted their regular polling (which was nowhere near as close to the final result) over this.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Thanks Aaron
    You make a great point about towns, and students never coming back. I've seen Lisa Nandy working this issue as well - it should be a cross-party thing. Since your town is "Loyal and Ancient" and Wigan is "Ancient and Loyal" you already would have something in common..

Up to a point. The Potteries do have 2 Universities, indeed a good friend of mine was a student at Keele and I had some good weekends there. She later went on to be a Lecturer at the Poly.

Smaller towns clearly are being squashed between the internet and "destination" shopping. The run down centres are not being helped by a decade of local council cuts. It is hard to see how Brexit induced further stress is going to help.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

The 'Labour surge' of yesterday was huge fun - various posters only just short of ordering taxis to Heathrow terminal 2 - but the spreads have barely moved. Con majority of about 50 is the expectation, which has not changed much for several days. My own hunch is for a bigger win but I think the 50 is now about fair value, i.e. if I were starting with a clean sheet, bettingwise, it would stay that way, no buy and no sell at these levels.

Betfair went down to 1.48/49 this morning but is back at 1.54/55 now on Con Maj
  • Options
    nova said:

Even YouGov seemed nervous about it at the time, and if I remember rightly promoted their regular polling (which was nowhere near as close to the final result) over this.

That's right. They only bigged it up after the event. IIRC Survation were consistently the best pollster on vote share. YouGov were out quite badly, along with most of the others.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    timmo said:

kinabalu said:

Remember Betfair was creeping down to 1.40 yesterday before the polls for no real reason. Clearly the punters don't know what they're doing and how to interpret the polls. There are far easier to read markets than Con majority because only a few people really know if a 3 point polling majority or a 7 point polling majority are required.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Parsnips are wonderful, but only after the frost gets going. The frost is needed to break down the starch. Parboil to fluff them up then roast. Rotate regularly when roasting, and if roasting potatoes too then put the parsnips in a different dish as they cook more quickly.

My favourite Christmas dinner treat is chestnut stuffing. Home-made by mum. Sensational scenes.
    Pardon my ignorance but what does frost-nipped mean?

I hate sprouts. Only time I've ever enjoyed them is a dish my mother in law made one year. A mix of diced up sprouts and bacon roasted together.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Repeating the same motto endlessly is not evidence of preparation.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,523
    kinabalu said:

Worth remembering that the markets took a long time to respond to the shift in the polls in 2017. I remember feeling quite grateful for this fact around 21/22 May.
  • Options
    Brom said:

timmo said:

kinabalu said:

Remember Betfair was creeping down to 1.40 yesterday before the polls for no real reason. Clearly the punters don't know what they're doing and how to interpret the polls. There are far easier to read markets than Con majority because only a few know if a 3 point polling majority or a 7 point polling majority are required.
    The lib dems have been quite upfront about how clumpy they expect their vote to be..in some seats i dont expect them to register but in others there could be some SNP style 2015 swings
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:
    Astonishing to see that YouGov poll described as 'controversial'.
    There are a number of 'polling/election guru' twitter histories that have aged very, very badly after the first release of the YouGov MRP in 2017
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So far we've had lots of polls which can tell us the broad shape of HOW MANY votes there are out there for each candidate - but -
    The most important part of the YouGov MRP should be to...……. broadly confirm where the votes ARE.

My prediction is that the LIB Dems will be well down on the DataPraxis model. As they used too long a time period.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Repeating the same motto endlessly is not evidence of preparation.
    But having a prepared reply for any subject you can then switch to your motto from is.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nova said:

That's right. They only bigged it up after the event. IIRC Survation were consistently the best pollster on vote share. YouGov were out quite badly, along with most of the others.
    The YouGov regular poling was rather good, tight up until the finish line where they suddenly applied extra corrections which herded it along with the others.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Foxy said:

I hate sprouts. Only time I've ever enjoyed them is a dish my mother in law made one year. A mix of diced up sprouts and bacon roasted together.
    Boil sprouts wrap them in sausage meat and deep fry.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

In the same way that Father Jack was prepared for his meeting with the Bishop.

"That would be a Getting Brexit Done matter"
  • Options

Foxy said:

Harvest sprouts only after the frost has visited them - improves texture and flavour.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,640
    I adore sprouts.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,438
    Kantar gave a range in this mornings poll that the true position is between 4.5 and 15.5% lead
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,438
    Nigelb said:

I adore sprouts.

They are magical little bombs of flavour
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I adore sprouts.

Do we get to call them 'Freedom Sprouts' once we've Brexited?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,192
    Nice piece. Good luck to Aaron. :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,158
    Nigelb said:

I adore sprouts.

The devil’s vegetable. No good will come of eating them.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

nova said:

The YouGov regular poling was rather good, tight up until the finish line where they suddenly applied extra corrections which herded it along with the others.
    They were one of the better ones. The last ten days or so of YouGov were 5, 7, 3, 4 and 7pt Tory leads. That's well within the margin of error, but you may be right that they made a change for that last poll. Either that, or they were just unlucky that was the poll they finished on.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2019
    Brussels sprouts are excellent provided they are very fresh and are undercooked.
    If you're having to buy them from a shop, then it's too late. You have to grow your own.
  • Options
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,647

Nigelb said:

I adore sprouts.

Do we get to call them 'Freedom Sprouts' once we've Brexited?
    "Farage sprouts" I would have thought.
  • Options
    Pulpstar, have you got the wobbles yet? I have!
    I just cashed out my majority spread at 49. Nice profit and may prove foolish but I've got a sinking feeling!
    You hanging on in there?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Withnail writer Bruce Robinson once described the sight of his old auntie farting like this:

“She drove the ghost of a sprout deep into the dog-rotten upholstery”

Bravo.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,192
    edited November 2019

Brussels sprouts are excellent provided they are very fresh and are undercooked.
    If you're having to buy them from a shop, then it's too late. You have to grow your own.

Yes Brussles are one of those things that are lovely when they're fresh but are yuk when they've gone old and have that ghastly "twang" to them.

I would say though you can get nice Brussels from shops, markets, farm shops etc when they're on the stems (haven't seen any of those so far this year mind)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019
    Sprouts are best when fried.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,454
    edited November 2019
    PeterC said:

Have we stablished what is driving the movement in these polls? Is it firming up of don’t knows towards Labour?

Has there been any real 'movement'? Kantar, having previously produced an outlier towards the Tories, has reverted to mean; ICM, having given Labour better ratings than other pollsters, has perhaps produced an outlier in Labour's direction. There really isn't that much to go on so far. By the end of the week we will know more.
    Well, of course it's difficult to tell what's an outlier and what isn't before we know the election result. :-)

I just think people need to acknowledge that there is less certainty about the outcome of this election than many are assuming.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal - Anyone else noted a shift recently with their left wing friends from "Pro EU" to omfg the Tories are awful posts ?

I think people have finally switched onto this election this week.

Three donkeys (the usual ones) have put up Labour boards on the main road leading into my town.

I’ve seen just one Tory poster in my village.

Corbyn doesn’t have the crowds and fresh passion behind him of GE2017 but that might not matter as the visceral ‘stop the Tories’ sentiment is an extremely powerful one.
  • Options
    nova said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

nova said:

They were one of the better ones. The last ten days or so of YouGov were 5, 7, 3, 4 and 7pt Tory leads. That's well within the margin of error, but you may be right that they made a change for that last poll. Either that, or they were just unlucky that was the poll they finished on.
    We could get Tory 41-42, and Labour 37-38 or something like that.

Boris should get about 320 seats on those numbers, but I’m not 100% sure.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I adore sprouts.

No opinion is too wild and controversial to be aired on here. Real strength of the place.
  • Options

With bacon and walnut oil, and some walnuts.

Maybe cream fraiche too.
  • Options
    Can Jo Swinson stop being so shit, please?
  • Options

What's she done now?
  • Options
    A thought.

Somewhere in a safeish Labour seat a new young MP is about to be elected who will lead them to two terms of government in a decade or so's time.

Any suggestions?
  • Options

What's she done now?
    It’s more what she hasn’t done.
  • Options
    Chris said:

PeterC said:

Have we stablished what is driving the movement in these polls? Is it firming up of don’t knows towards Labour?

Has there been any real 'movement'? Kantar, having previously produced an outlier towards the Tories, has reverted to mean; ICM, having given Labour better ratings than other pollsters, has perhaps produced an outlier in Labour's direction. There really isn't that much to go on so far. By the end of the week we will know more.
    Well, of course it's difficult to tell what's an outlier and what isn't before we know the election result. :-)

I just think people need to acknowledge that there is less certainty about the outcome of this election than many are assuming.
    No, you can tell what is an outlier by comparing it to other polls. What you can't tell is whether all the polls as a whole are systematically wrong.
  • Options

I don’t understand why the ex-Labour MPs haven’t been used more in a “I didn’t leave Labour, Labour left me” way.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

A thought.

Somewhere in a safeish Labour seat a new young MP is about to be elected who will lead them to two terms of government in a decade or so's time.

Any suggestions?

Wishful thinking - Shipley

Edit: missed the 'safish'. Cancel that
  • Options

nova said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

nova said:

We could get Tory 41-42, and Labour 37-38 or something like that.

Boris should get about 320 seats on those numbers, but I’m not 100% sure.
    That wouldn't surprise me - maybe a 5-7pt lead on the day - but a few pollsters have said that even 7 won't be enough for a majority.

I think where the Corbynistas are right, is that Corbyn's the reason that polls were out/narrowed so much last time. A little of that was due to it not being possible to be as bad as he's portrayed - but a larger chunk is people not being keen to vote for him, but who will ultimately vote anti-Tory.
  • Options

What's she done now?
    It’s more what she hasn’t done.
    Its the chairman Mao uniform dresses in different colours that wind me up
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Maybe cream fraiche too.
    With bacon and chestnuts, if you don't mind.
  • Options

I don’t understand why the ex-Labour MPs haven’t been used more in a “I didn’t leave Labour, Labour left me” way.
    Yes, but like Swinson gambling everything on Revoke (and the Westminster bubble agreeing with her) the ex-Labour MPs are just as bad. They assume people will switch votes or abstain just because Corbyn is an absolute disgrace.

It doesn’t work that way.

A bit like how Europe pontificate for ages whenever they suffer a rejection of their latest integration initiative, before deciding the answer is “more Europe”, Labour voters have thought long and hard about how utterly ghastly Jeremy Corbyn is and voting for someone else before deciding in the final two weeks..

“Nah, I still hate the Tories more.”
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Where on earth did the nonsense that 'Incidents of Islamophobia went up 375% after Boris wrote his article on the burqa' come from? Presumably it's being quoted all the time now because it is in some Labour or Momentum briefing note to activists, but it only requires about 0.5 seconds thought to realise that it must be utter garbage even if it's just a temporal rather than the completely absurd implied causal link.
    Boris is not exactly fastidious with the facts, but his critics on the left are just as bad.
  • Options

Yes, but like Swinson gambling everything on Revoke (and the Westminster bubble agreeing with her) the ex-Labour MPs are just as bad. They assume people will switch votes or abstain just because Corbyn is an absolute disgrace.

It doesn’t work that way.

A bit like how Europe pontificate for ages whenever they suffer a rejection of their latest integration initiative, before deciding the answer is “more Europe”, Labour voters have thought long and hard about how utterly ghastly Jeremy Corbyn is and voting for someone else before deciding in the final two weeks..

“Nah, I still hate the Tories more.”
    The consolation, if it is one, being that a weak Corbyn Gvt, propped up by the Remain coalition, would have its ratings in the toilet very quickly. But by then it would be too late.
  • Options
    Would Bet365 offer a double on the Conservatives taking Aaron's last contested seat of Don Valley and Newcastle-under-Lyme?
  • Options

Where on earth did the nonsense that 'Incidents of Islamophobia went up 375% after Boris wrote his article on the burqa' come from? Presumably it's being quoted all the time now because it is in some Labour or Momentum briefing note to activists, but it only requires about 0.5 seconds thought to realise that it must be utter garbage even if it's just a temporal rather than the completely absurd implied causal link.
    Boris is not exactly fastidious with the facts, but his critics on the left are just as bad.

As I asked earlier, it depends what number was used as the start point, and the time frame.

400% of 2, while too many is not a lot. 400% on 10,000 is a big issue.
  • Options

I've been carrying an envelope with me ever since I read Boris's article so that I can try post it through every burqa I see. Hasn't everyone?
  • Options

I've been carrying an envelope with me ever since I read Boris's article so that I can try post it through every burqa I see. Hasn't everyone?
    Mine is self addressed. Posted it ages ago and it still hasn't got back to me.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,797

She seems to be popular among the Lib Dem target voters, certainly in London. Only hard-case Tories say they do not like her - and that is only because they have received their instructions from CCHQ to express their negative feelings.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,930
    kinabalu said:
    Give us a precis or let me guess. Corbyn's not a filthy anti-semite?
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Nigelb said:

Btw, Boris's photo ops are stage-managed, so CCHQ disagrees with me. Boris is generally shown joining in with the workers, with a broom or mop, or indeed sheep. At hospitals he takes off his jacket and rolls up his sleeves as if he has just delivered a premature baby.

He never hangs around that long, surely ?
    He has to - he needs the name for the superinjunction.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

She seems to be popular among the Lib Dem target voters, certainly in London. Only hard-case Tories say they do not like her - and that is only because they have received their instructions from CCHQ to express their negative feelings.
    No.its also her weird accent that everybody I speak to about her has also noticed
  • Options
    Just been reading that 3.2 million people have registered to vote since the election was called, About one third will be duplicates according to the Electoral Commission. Of the say 2 million new registrations it assumes two thirds are under 34. We can assume this will help Labour, and to a lesser extent the Lib Dems. Just wondering if when companies do polls they ask people if they are registered to vote. If they do and these are excluded, with such large numbers the polls may be underestimating Labour and maybe the Lib Dems. anyone know?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    madmacs said:

Just been reading that 3.2 million people have registered to vote since the election was called, About one third will be duplicates according to the Electoral Commission. Of the say 2 million new registrations it assumes two thirds are under 34. We can assume this will help Labour, and to a lesser extent the Lib Dems. Just wondering if when companies do polls they ask people if they are registered to vote. If they do and these are excluded, with such large numbers the polls may be underestimating Labour and maybe the Lib Dems. anyone know?

I don't think they are asked if they are registered voters, but I might be wrong.
  • Options
    lolandol said:

Pulpstar, have you got the wobbles yet? I have!
    I just cashed out my majority spread at 49. Nice profit and may prove foolish but I've got a sinking feeling!
    You hanging on in there?

My bet is so small that yes I'm going to let it ride. If it had been a substantial stake then I'd probably cash it.
  • Options
    timmo said:

ClippP said:

No.its also her weird accent that everybody I speak to about her has also noticed
    It’s no wonder nearly half all of Scots want independence with reactions like that.
  • Options
    By 44% to 27% the public say that the Chief Rabbi of the UK was right to speak out regarding his criticism of Labour’s record on dealing with anti-Semitism. 68% of Tory voters are of this opinion compared to only 26% of Labour voters https://t.co/bXeFtriFX9 https://t.co/D5grX0u6yX
  • Options
    philiph said:

Maybe cream fraiche too.
    With bacon and chestnuts, if you don't mind.

Ah, that’s the one!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Anyway the Guardian got there first, as is right and proper for a modern, progressive newspaper:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/06/burqa-bashing-mohammed-ahmed-mohamed-image
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 864
    Casino Royal: all your thoughts are so objective, as well as being rude!!!!!!!!!
    After all some would happily use your words against yourself, just saying. Remember in this world what goes around comes around and if you do someone down it does come back to haunt you. .
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    ClippP said:

Unfair. Hard case Tories are naturally negative about almost everything - generally because it is different to how things were done in the past.
  • Options
    This is a striking intervention from the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster -
    https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1199304826468876288
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Not this tosh again, did you miss the week and weeks of digs by well known Tory, BJO about Tory Swinson on here?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,454

Chris said:

PeterC said:

No, you can tell what is an outlier by comparing it to other polls. What you can't tell is whether all the polls as a whole are systematically wrong.
    Hmm. Well, I suppose it depends how you define an outlier. If you mean it just differs significantly from the other polls, I suppose you are right. On the other hand, when people talk about outliers I think there's an implicit assumption that sampling isn't biased. In that case, an outlier might be the result of bias. With your definition, an outlier might be the one accurate poll in a collection of otherwise biased ones!
  • Options
    On another note most people have been surprised by the levels of lib dem literature they have already received. There are words going around both Labour and Connservative central offices that the LDs are in serious breach of their spending limits. Centrally posted and distributed stuff now counts against an individual constituency when it turns up.
    What may happen?
  • Options

By 44% to 27% the public say that the Chief Rabbi of the UK was right to speak out regarding his criticism of Labour’s record on dealing with anti-Semitism. 68% of Tory voters are of this opinion compared to only 26% of Labour voters https://t.co/bXeFtriFX9 https://t.co/D5grX0u6yX

And the numbers for the statement from the Muslim Council of Britain?
  • Options

timmo said:

ClippP said:

It’s no wonder nearly half all of Scots want independence with reactions like that.
    No she sounds half west country
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    edited November 2019
    timmo said:

On another note most people have been surprised by the levels of lib dem literature they have already received. There are words going around both Labour and Connservative central offices that the LDs are in serious breach of their spending limits. Centrally posted and distributed stuff now counts against an individual constituency when it turns up.
    What may happen?

Electoral commission too busy investigating vote leave. :)
  • Options
    timmo said:

What may happen?

A lot of their leaflets were sent before the campaign limits kicked in - they were ahead of the game on that.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 421

The consolation, if it is one, being that a weak Corbyn Gvt, propped up by the Remain coalition, would have its ratings in the toilet very quickly. But by then it would be too late.

I'll say it again

THERE'S NOT GOING TO BE A "WEAK CORBYN GOVT, PROPPED UP BY THE REMAIN COALITION". Or a Johnson government propped up by anyone.

Right now there are two serious possibilities:

- a Johnson overall majority

- Or some kind of alliance: a Labour-dominated government, headed by someone who isn't Corbyn, that survives with Lib Dem & SNP (& poss. Green, UUP and DUP) support, or a Tory-dominated government, getting occasional LD support on issues like a new referendum while the Tory members tear themselves to shreds trying to decide who'll take over from the fat sexpest.

Is anyone offering money on both Corbyn and Johnson giving notice of resignation on December 13?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

A thought.

Any suggestions?

My knowledge is narrow and shallow, but the best I can find so far appears to be Florence Eshalomi in Vauxhall. This write-up of her selection meeting is positive. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/28/replace-kate-hoey-local-party-stitch-ups-not-working
This discussion has been closed.