Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s GE17 performance is misleading as a tactical voting guid

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

Didn’t you only discover your Jewish heritage a year or so ago? Apologies if I am mistaken.

Yes, I did - was a nice surprise. I don't think it would have changed anything if I'd known it for years, though - my mother was very secular (which is I suppose why she never mentioned it).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Beyond the immorality, the institutional anti-Semitism that Jeremy Corbyn and the far left have brought to the Labour party means that a man incapable of telling the truth will be running the UK for the next few years. Johnson knows that he can lie, lie and lie again because his opponent is unelectable. It is an absolute disaster for the country.
    https://twitter.com/ManufacturingNI/status/1192564837345353728

BJ's trips to North Britain seem to consist of photo ops with selected manufacturers, some air kissing with satraps & activists and staying the fuck away from ordinary punters. Remind you of anyone? At least Tessy knocked on a couple of doors in Deeside and didn't get pished.
    How many ordinary punters does Corbyn meet excluding bussed in Labour activists and selected factory school and hospital visits? Most party leaders election tours are the same
    But, but, but I thought BJ was an ace campaigner who can REALLY connect with peepul?!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

Loving the volume of "I don't bet" posts on Political Betting Dot Com.

It’s the best website I’ve come across for informed and amusing discussion on all sorts of topics
  • Options
    On Islamophobia, it is worth noting that the Conservatives have selected the former chairman of Muslims for Britain to replace Spelman in Meriden. They have also selected a man of Somalian heritage to try and retake Cardiff North.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    felix said:

Corybn is icky and historically Jews have a right to be paranoid but this is ridiculous. Their safety isn't threatened by a Labour government, they don't need to flee to Israel.
    No it is not ridiculous. The hate enabled by vile anti-Semitism embedded in the far left groups Corbyn mixes with is a real threat.
    Viktor Orban is a vile Anti Semite
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that most Jewish folk on PB are a lot more ambivalent about Jezza and Labour's alleged antisemitism than gentile PB Tories? Probably not a representative cross section, but then neither are PB Tories.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    If it makes it 5 years without a successful indy vote it's in good shape. Despite the promises not to hold one I dont see how we avoid that though - when so many support going indy the issue wont just go away.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You are contemptible.

Whether or not they are justified, the fears of a group of our fellow citizens are real.

And you choose to joke about it.

There isn't really a joke there, claiming to be worried about minority concerns and then voting Conservative is.

What don’t you get?

The Jewish community is terrified and nearly half are considering leaving the country.

Of course there are some racists in the Tory party - as in every party - but they have a Muslim heritage Chancellor (I believe he’s agnostic?)

The Muslim community may not vote Tory, but they are not afraid of them.

How very kind of you to appoint yourself as spokesperson for the entire Muslim community in the UK. I'm sure they'll be very happy to have you in the role.
    What?

I’m not appointing myself spokesman for anyone. I’ve not seen data suggesting Muslims are afraid of a Tory government

But fuck you. Our Jewish fellow citizens are being attacked and you want to make cute debating points.

I recognise your name so I guess you’ve been around for awhile. You’ll know that I don’t get riled up by much. This makes me furious.
    Oh, temper temper old chap. Synthetic outrage is not very becoming.

You also need to lose the insults mate, I have not once insulted you and you are seeking to speak on behalf of the Islamic community. You shouldn't.

Alistair very succinctly nails your double standards further upthread. It's delicious.
    I can do synthetic outrage. Thus isn’t it. This is fury.

(I replied to Alastair’s inaccurate allegations)
    Your contortions are the mirror image of @TheJezziah's. And about as convincing.
    Nope. I’m personally fine with immigration (although I do worry about capacity constraints on public infrastructure but that can be fixed through government action).

I voted leave because I didn’t like the structure and direction of travel of the EU and because I felt the interests of many of my fellow country men and women were being ignored.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LOL I'll go with "has a professional interest in the matter, she has researched it diligently" over your, and @tyson's, and @TheJezziah's "no really he's not".

You must go with whatever you think best, of course, but I've known him on and off for 50 years, without his ever expressing the slightest prejudice against anyone. He just doesn't do prejudice. (He's even perfectly civil about Tories :)) I wouldn't call him a tremendously warm man, but he's civilised and restrained in talking about anyone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Jo Swinson should ditch stop Brexit and change her slogan to The Sane Choice!

Rings a bit 'deplorables' in suggesting anyone backing the other options is mad, so counter productive.

Tens of millions will back the parties of Corbyn and Boris, many because of them not in spite of them. Telling them they are idiots, enablers of racism or idiot enablers of racism wont work even if someone thinks it is true. The tribal vote is just that strong.
    Bear in mind that just this week we have seen three ex-Labour MPs suggesting that Labour supporters should vote for Johnson at GE2019 - Austin, Woodcock and Stuart. Tribal loyalties are weaker than they ever have been in these extraordinary times.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

A section of our community is scared and you come out with fucking polls.

Now you know how w/c, BME, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities feel whenever there is a tory government.

The word 'disgust' doesn't even begin the capture the way the rest of us feel about tories.
    Do they? Quite a lot of members of such groups are actually Conservatives.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Doubt it will get anywhere, but may be a laying opportunity for those who bet.

He's apparently looking to file for the Alabama primary (deadline Friday). Seems like keeping options rather than anything else

Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire former mayor of New York City, is laying the groundwork to enter the Democratic presidential race months before voters in Iowa and New Hampshire kick off the fight to choose the 2020 nominee.

https://www.ft.com/content/f836f8ca-01b1-11ea-b7bc-f3fa4e77dd47

Charles ... I think you mean this is a BACKING opportunity, i.e betting on something taking place, rather than a LAYING opportunity which means precisely the opposite ... Oops!
    I meant that Bloomberg will not be President but some people might get excited and thereby create an opportunity to bet against the hype

Apologies if I got the terminology wrong (I don’t bet)
    It’s an ideal opportunity to lay Bloomberg.

He’s down to 14s this morning (shorter even than Hillary).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    nico67 said:

Jo Swinson should ditch stop Brexit and change her slogan to The Sane Choice!

Wont that rule her out
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Now you know how w/c, BME, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities feel whenever there is a tory government.

The word 'disgust' doesn't even begin the capture the way the rest of us feel about tories.
    No matter who is leading it or what their actions have been? Thats as dumb as someone feeling intense visceral hatred of labour regardless of who the leader is or what their actions have been.

Not all Tory governments and oppositions are the same, nor are all labour governments and oppositions the same, they dont do the same things or act the same way. Who leads them and what they do matters, it's why boris and Corbyn and their base supporters matter .

And people are so proud, its so central to their identity, to say how they always viscerally hate party x, regardless of the fact parties act very differently over time.

Its pathetic and childish to act like parties are always offering the same negatives or positives, yet the pride people have in doing so, to display their morality, makes me more depressed than davidl is optimistic this morning. Its declaring pride in ignorantly judging a changing situation as if its static.

I know what your reaction will be to this, some attention grabbing swear I assume, but I just don't understand the logic in pretending our parties have such consistent ideology that 'any' government of party x, labour or tory, is not only unfavourable but to be feared or would be disgusting. It goes against the other critique we usually have if them, that that they dont stick to principles.

The reality is either can be fine and either can be terrible . Its reasonable to think one is more likely to be terrible, but any? Grow up.
    It’s very visceral and personal for people like @Dura_Ace

I can only imagine he had a very bad sexual experience with a Tory in his formative teenage years (or possibly in the navy) who betrayed him, so it’s fucked him up for life.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    Foxy said:

According to this morning’s FT, Javid is effectively ruling out those (unfunded) tax cuts Boris promised, “to the anger of Number 10 advisers who wanted a platform of higher spending and lower taxes.”

No one in this election is advocating financial prudence. We have to choose between different versions of Brewsters millions.
    Well sort of.

As much as I loathe the Tories, I do personally favour the relaxation of the Osborne/Hammond fiscal rules to allow capital investment.

This seems to be precisely what Javid is now proposing.

Good on him for quashing Boris’s tax cuts - they make no economic sense.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

And we were saying yesterday morning how much more civilized Pb.com is in the mornings than the evening!

Always exceptions to the rule! This header provoking this reaction was inevitable
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You are contemptible.

Whether or not they are justified, the fears of a group of our fellow citizens are real.

There isn't really a joke there, claiming to be worried about minority concerns and then voting Conservative is.

What don’t you get?

The Jewish community is terrified and nearly half are considering leaving the country.

Of course there are some racists in the Tory party - as in every party - but they have a Muslim heritage Chancellor (I believe he’s agnostic?)

How very kind of you to appoint yourself as spokesperson for the entire Muslim community in the UK. I'm sure they'll be very happy to have you in the role.
    What?

I’m not appointing myself spokesman for anyone. I’ve not seen data suggesting Muslims are afraid of a Tory government

But fuck you. Our Jewish fellow citizens are being attacked and you want to make cute debating points.

I recognise your name so I guess you’ve been around for awhile. You’ll know that I don’t get riled up by much. This makes me furious.

You also need to lose the insults mate, I have not once insulted you and you are seeking to speak on behalf of the Islamic community. You shouldn't.

Alistair very succinctly nails your double standards further upthread. It's delicious.

Your contortions are the mirror image of @TheJezziah's. And about as convincing.
    Nope. I’m personally fine with immigration (although I do worry about capacity constraints on public infrastructure but that can be fixed through government action).

I voted leave because I didn’t like the structure and direction of travel of the EU and because I felt the interests of many of my fellow country men and women were being ignored.
    And you enthusiastically backed campaigns that sought to scare voters into believing that millions of muslims were poised to descend on the UK.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    PClipp said:

That is a very fair point, but one with a deep flaw: given the make-up of both the Parliamentary party and the party in the country post-12th December, the only realistic replacement for Johnson is somoene from the hard right.

Bollocks. For all the attempts to paint him otherwise, Boris is a One Nation Conservative, who governed London as such whilst Mayor. The new intake will be lagely One Nation Conservatives. Neither ERG-compliant nor Europhile headbangers. Mirroring the bulk of the current Parliamentary party and the membership.
    Are you sure about that, Mr Mark? I thought all the decent, rational Conservatives had given up on this pack of incompetents, tax-dodgers, spivs and charlatans.
    You are about to find out how wrong that is....

The spivs and charlatans have always been the preserve of the Libdem "Winning here" bar charts.

Oh, and is Lord Rennard still operating for you, in the light or more likely in the shadows, this campaign? If so, it marks a high-point of Jo Swinson's hypocrisy.....
  • Options
    edited November 2019

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

No matter who is leading it or what their actions have been? Thats as dumb as someone feeling intense visceral hatred of labour regardless of who the leader is or what their actions have been.

Not all Tory governments and oppositions are the same, nor are all labour governments and oppositions the same, they dont do the same things or act the same way. Who leads them and what they do matters, it's why boris and Corbyn and their base supporters matter .

And people are so proud, its so central to their identity, to say how they always viscerally hate party x, regardless of the fact parties act very differently over time.

Its pathetic and childish to act like parties are always offering the same negatives or positives, yet the pride people have in doing so, to display their morality, makes me more depressed than davidl is optimistic this morning. Its declaring pride in ignorantly judging a changing situation as if its static.

I know what your reaction will be to this, some attention grabbing swear I assume, but I just don't understand the logic in pretending our parties have such consistent ideology that 'any' government of party x, labour or tory, is not only unfavourable but to be feared or would be disgusting. It goes against the other critique we usually have if them, that that they dont stick to principles.

The reality is either can be fine and either can be terrible . Its reasonable to think one is more likely to be terrible, but any? Grow up.

I can only imagine he had a very bad sexual experience with a Tory in his formative teenage years (or possibly in the navy) who betrayed him, so it’s fucked him up for life.
    Nah - he's just a Leeds United fan. Hate is their DNA.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

What a load of crap.

More Tory BME and LGBT and disabled Tory MPs than ever before, more BME and disabled people in work than in 2010, gay marriage brought in under Cameron
    Only on the back of Labour and lib dem votes. Tories were split virtually 50.50 on it. Nasty little bigots that they are.
    I suppose Catholics and evangelical Christians and Muslims and Hindus and Orthodox Jews are all nasty little bigots too as they believe marriage should only be between one man and one woman for life, like those 50% of Tory MPs? Opposing gay marriage does not make you a bigot as such
    Yeah it does.
    It comes down to words.

The State should treat all couples (of whatever gender) who chose to form a permanent relationship equally. Doesn’t matter whether that is called partnership , marriage, or square-dancing.

Churches and other religions should be permitted to bless or sanctify whichever of these relationships they choose.

• Options

Both Labour and the Conservatives deserve to lose. It’s as simple as that.

What a position we’re in.

All lds need is to get into the thirties and the whole FPTP two party system breaks down.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

Loving the volume of "I don't bet" posts on Political Betting Dot Com.

It’s the best website I’ve come across for informed and amusing discussion on all sorts of topics
    The range of (at least professed) background knowledge on this site is quite remarkable.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

HYUFD said:

Royal Mail seeks injunction to stop postal strike

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50343794

The GE needs to be postponed if there is a strike imho.
    Maybe Postal Votes could be sent by Hermes?
    God I misread that and thought you had suggested postal votes could be sent by Hamas. Perhaps after a Lab overall majority...
  • Options

On Islamophobia, it is worth noting that the Conservatives have selected the former chairman of Muslims for Britain to replace Spelman in Meriden. They have also selected a man of Somalian heritage to try and retake Cardiff North.

And there will, I presume, be Jewish labour mps . Not saying either gets a pass or that they must be equivalent, but who gets selected doesnt speak definitively.
  • Options

Mohamed Ali is a top, top bloke.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

I thought that was par for the course in the Navy.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

LOL I'll go with "has a professional interest in the matter, she has researched it diligently" over your, and @tyson's, and @TheJezziah's "no really he's not".

You must go with whatever you think best, of course, but I've known him on and off for 50 years, without his ever expressing the slightest prejudice against anyone. He just doesn't do prejudice. (He's even perfectly civil about Tories :)) I wouldn't call him a tremendously warm man, but he's civilised and restrained in talking about anyone.
    Oh Nick. How sweet. And his associations? Just because he's a bloody nice bloke, right?
  • Options
    It is boring to watch the apologists do their apologising.

Jeremy is a doddery hard-left dimwit, with a lifetime of fraternising with anti-US, anti-UK, and anti-Israeli activists and often terrorists. End of.

Boris is pathologically selfish, abortion procuring liar, who came to power by appealing to xenophobic instinct and undermining the leader who tried to clean up the shit he left on the carpet. Also end of.

I have limited respect for anyone actively campaigning for either.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Ha! Possibly.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You are contemptible.

What don’t you get?

What?

And you enthusiastically backed campaigns that sought to scare voters into believing that millions of muslims were poised to descend on the UK.
    I voted for Brexit but that’s about it. Hosted a party for Business for Britain as well.

Don’t think that really counts as “enthusiastically back[ing]”
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

My point did apply to anyone who viscerally hates (as opposed to dislikes) labour irrespective of changing leadership and policy too in fairness.

But I stand by it. Being instinctively for or against the general principles of one party over another makes sense, spitting with hatred even if party x now is totally different to how it was previously, and acting the same toward them, is childish. Labour under Blair and Attlee were not the same, nor tories under Major and Churchill.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2019
    Could we try asking all the posters who have posted on here this morning to describe the anti semitic act by Jeremy Corbyn that has offended them on behalf of their Jewish bretheren the most? (Preferably not connected with Israel).
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You are contemptible.

What don’t you get?

What?

I voted for Brexit but that’s about it. Hosted a party for Business for Britain as well.

Don’t think that really counts as “enthusiastically back[ing]”
    I think the latter point does.
  • Options

I am less interested at this moment in the background of the successful candidates and more interested in the fact I believe that news means that Nick Timothy has failed in his bid to become PPC for Meriden.

So good news all round!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:
    I thought he accepted he'd said it but didn't realise it had anything to do with jews
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Jeremy is a doddery hard-left dimwit, with a lifetime of fraternising with anti-US, anti-UK, and anti-Israeli activists and often terrorists. End of.

Boris is pathologically selfish, abortion procuring liar, who came to power by appealing to xenophobic instinct and undermining the leader who tried to clean up the shit he left on the carpet. Also end of.

I have zero respect for both and I'm rapidly moving as much of my business abroad (thankfully it's all software so the work can be done anywhere and equally sold/invoiced from anywhere).

The one redeeming feature Labour has is that thanks to Scotland they cannot currently win a majority so a lot of their plans may be moderated before being inacted.

The Tories can but Boris really can't be trusted.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Morning all.

Another fine day in British democracy, judging by the stream of tweets on candidates being dumped for various forms of abuse and nastiness.

We now have government by twitter mob.
    Foxy said:

Morning all.

Another fine day in British democracy, judging by the stream of tweets on candidates being dumped for various forms of abuse and nastiness.

We now have government by twitter mob.
    It's what we deserve I'd guess.

But I cannot spend all day equivocation- to work!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Has anyone else had a good look at Roger Godsiff's eyebrows? Those things are fucking amazing.
  • Options
    Labour could very easily go sub 20 in the election if things continue to spiral out of control for them. And sub 150 seats.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Noone likes us, we dont care
  • Options
    “In my defence, I never realised that Thomas was a tank engine”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    kle4 said:

If it makes it 5 years without a successful indy vote it's in good shape. Despite the promises not to hold one I dont see how we avoid that though - when so many support going indy the issue wont just go away.
    The Spanish government has blocked an indyref for years in Catalonia and the poll does not rule out devomax being the change of form for the UK
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

I am less interested at this moment in the background of the successful candidates and more interested in the fact I believe that news means that Nick Timothy has failed in his bid to become PPC for Meriden.

So good news all round!
    Oh, come come. Nick Timothy may be - ok, is - an insufferable, self-satisfied, and generally wrong person, but it would be genuinely hilarious to have him continually bellyaching in the House of Commons.
  • Options

So good news all round!
    And Stourbridge
  • Options
    The absolute state of Labour. Get them in the sea and sub 100 seats and we can have a good laugh at them. Until then they are a Jack Ryan novel
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    This is repulsive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Spanish government has blocked an indyref for years in Catalonia and the poll does not rule out devomax being the change of form for the UK
    And Spain is doing just great!
  • Options
    In terms of electoral impact, I think if Swinson has a proper go at Labour for being racist then it could have an impact. I think Tory attack lines are priced in.

In the real world away from politics, where do they find these people? Growing up, “antisemitism” was a historic concept. The idea of anyone thinking of someone Jewish that way was preposterous. This is so sad because it’s isn’t “the Labour Party” it’s our friends and neighbours.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2019
    Blimey, what a cantankerous thread. A couple of people clearly missed their dose of dried frog pills, which is ironic if you're in the pharmaceutical industry.

Anyway, I'd like to echo those referring to Maajid Nawaz's twitter thread, which is a clear, even-handed and frankly peerless explanation of the issue.
  • Options

It's also worth noting in Apartheid South Africa there were plenty of non whites in the armed forces, police and various positions of power and influence. In Mugabe's Zimbabwe there were plenty of whites who were in his government too. It really means nothing in the overall scheme of things aside giving either party a veneer of respectability on an issue they are both deeply problematic on.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You’re using the proto-fascist Spanish government as an example of good governance?
  • Options
    We cannot defeat multiple devils at once.

Perhaps if Labour can be utterly immolated, there will be a silver lining to our present clouds.

I tend to think that everything turned to shit since that fateful day Corbyn was elected. Removing him from the scene - and humilating everything he stands for - is probably an necessary precondition to national recovery.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You’re using the proto-fascist Spanish government as an example of good governance?
    Do the trains run on time?
  • Options
    Gideon Bull is an interesting name.

* files away to use for a character some time.... *
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    This is Labour
  • Options
    The Labour candidate Byrne mentioned earlier with the foul mouthed rants against women MPs was endorsed by McDonnell and Pidcock and on stage before Jezza last night at the rally. Quality.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Perhaps if Labour can be utterly immolated, there will be a silver lining to our present clouds.

I tend to think that everything turned to shit since that fateful day Corbyn was elected. Removing him from the scene - and humilating everything he stands for - is probably an necessary precondition to national recovery.

I voted for Corbyn in that leadership election. How stupid I was.
  • Options

“In my defence, I never realised that Thomas was a tank engine”

LOL
  • Options
    Anyone else shocked that the Catholic Church will protect nonces?

The Roman Catholic Church will oppose calls for priests to break the seal of the confessional to report admissions of child abuse, a public inquiry was told yesterday.

Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster, said the church could not accept any recommendation from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse to require priests to disclose matters admitted to them during the sacrament.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/priests-will-not-report-child-abuse-confessions-nkp7t8mbw
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The Tories got off to a good start but Labour is now a few lengths clear in the 'Screw up campaign stakes'.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Noone likes us, we dont care
    Going to be the Labour mantra in a while if they keep on their current path
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Spanish constitution blocks a referendum in Catalonia. The UK constitution does not block one in Scotland.

• Options

It's also worth noting in Apartheid South Africa there were plenty of non whites in the armed forces, police and various positions of power and influence. In Mugabe's Zimbabwe there were plenty of whites who were in his government too. It really means nothing in the overall scheme of things aside giving either party a veneer of respectability on an issue they are both deeply problematic on.
    We have the son of a Muslim bus driver as Chancellor.

How many "token" blacks rose to the rank of Chancellor in apartheid South Africa?

Pillock.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Could we try asking all the posters who have posted on here this morning to describe the anti semitic act by Jeremy Corbyn that has offended them on behalf of their Jewish bretheren the most? (Preferably not connected with Israel).

You cant tie it to one person its becoming systemic

Shame on you for trying to downplay the problem.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

What a load of crap.

More Tory BME and LGBT and disabled Tory MPs than ever before, more BME and disabled people in work than in 2010, gay marriage brought in under Cameron
    Left to the Tories alone it probably wouldn't have happened, despite Cameron's support. The odds are the majority of Tory MPs after this GE will be opposed to gay marriage and there would probably be a move to overturn it except for the fact that just about every opposition MP would back up moderate Tories and oppose it.
  • Options

Fair points, well made.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Endillion said:

Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

To be fair, a plus point for the Lib Dems this time is that they no longer have a homophobic leader.
    Yeah, because they forced him out by being anti-religious bigots.
    Unfortunately they didn't force him out because of his homophobia, or even because of the lies he told about it. Many of them - even LGBT activists - continued to defend him while he was still leader.

But interesting to see your characterisation of people who don't think it's appropriate for a homophobe to lead a "Liberal" party - and a homophobe who had actually voted against outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation - as "anti-religious bigots."
  • Options
    Floater said:

Roger said:

Besides, it's easy to answer him. Enabling the institutional racism in his party. Or, more succinctly, having the effrontery to breathe the same air as decent people.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep, he politely stood shoulder to shoulder with professed anti-Semites for 40 years without once condemning them. In fact, he very warmly called them his friends. How perfectly civil of him.

• Options
    More French than the French, those Quebecois.
    https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1192739867316367360
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Gisela Stuart has joined the labour for Boris movement

Is this the former Labour MP and Chair of the Vote Leave campaign?

Yes it is. I can fully understand her and the other ex-Labour MPs attacking Corbyn but how can you go from being a Labour MP to actively backing the current Tory Party?

It doesn't help moderate ex-Labour voters like me because it feeds the Corbynistas who claim they were Tories all along. Attack Corbyn by all means but backing the Tories loses them any credibility.
  • Options
    Floater said:

This is Labour
    It's not. It's an entirely different political party which has just inherited the name. Such a shame.
  • Options
    Margaret Hodge refuses to endorse Corbyn.
    Going well, isn't it?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You are contemptible.

What don’t you get?

What?

You don't get furious about the government suspending democracy.

You chortle when race-baiting is used to win a referendum so that you can profit from the chaos.

You're very selective in the causes of your fury. Motes and beams, motes and beams.
    I was furious about the idea of the government suspending democracy. That's why I opposed the backstop.

The government never suspended democracy though. The backstop was defeated and we now have a general election.
    The government literally suspended democracy when it prorogued to avoid scrutiny by the country's elected representatives. But you loved that because the trashing of our civic structures was in aid of your mad obsession.
    No it didn't. For a few reasons.

1: Did you miss the Supreme Court case? Parliament was never prorogued so it didn't prorogue Parliament.
    2: The proposed prorogation, which never happened, was for just a few sitting days and over recess prior to a proposed Queens Speech.
    3: When prorogation happened, the Queens Speech did occur quite lawfully and guess what, the same number of sitting days were lost. Funny that!

The backstop would have meant we'd have laws applied to us that we had no right to vote on. But yeah, bang on about a few sitting days and a prorogation because that's the big picture isn't it? You're so monomaniacal you can't see the woods for the trees now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In 2015 I placed a speculative bet in Labour most seats.

It did not come off.

In 2017 I placed a sure thing bet on Con majority.

It did not come off.

I am now considering a significant Conservative most seats bet.

I am saying this to give PB forewarning.
  • Options

felix said:

Corybn is icky and historically Jews have a right to be paranoid but this is ridiculous. Their safety isn't threatened by a Labour government, they don't need to flee to Israel.
    No it is not ridiculous. The hate enabled by vile anti-Semitism embedded in the far left groups Corbyn mixes with is a real threat.
    Viktor Orban is a vile Anti Semite
    Yet you want to be in a union so that he can vote on our laws don't you?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

We have the son of a Muslim bus driver as Chancellor.
    How many "token" blacks rose to the rank of Chancellor in apartheid South Africa?
    Pillock.
    All very well having the son of a Muslim bus driver as Chancellor, Mr Mark, but does he know what he is doing?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Floater said:

This is Labour
    It's not. It's an entirely different political party which has just inherited the name. Such a shame.
    No, it is. The cowards who tweet outrage and do nothing have enabled it. Labour is thus, thus have they made Labour
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2019
    Floater said:

Roger said:

If it exists its really not difficult. I'll make it easy I'll give you a few examples of racism out of the top of my head and you match them

1. A poster showing Muslims 'flooding ' into the country with Nigel Farage standing in front of it.

2. Quentin Letts referring to Ed Milliband's 'large conk' in the Dail Mail.

3. Michael Howard's Are you thinking what we're thinking' featuring Gypsies.

4. Vote Leave's broadcast on the NHS. Nice old lady couldn't see a doctor because the waiting room was full of swarthy Immigrants

5. Theresa May's 'Immigrant's Go Home' vans driving through Golders Green.

6. Boris Johnson's bank robber reference to all those wearing large black hats and side curls or was it Burqas?
  • Options

The government literally suspended democracy when it prorogued to avoid scrutiny by the country's elected representatives. But you loved that because the trashing of our civic structures was in aid of your mad obsession.

No it didn't. For a few reasons.

1: Did you miss the Supreme Court case? Parliament was never prorogued so it didn't prorogue Parliament.
    2: The proposed prorogation, which never happened, was for just a few sitting days and over recess prior to a proposed Queens Speech.
    3: When prorogation happened, the Queens Speech did occur quite lawfully and guess what, the same number of sitting days were lost. Funny that!

The backstop would have meant we'd have laws applied to us that we had no right to vote on. But yeah, bang on about a few sitting days and a prorogation because that's the big picture isn't it? You're so monomaniacal you can't see the woods for the trees now.
    Parliament prorogued, but it was then declared invalid by the Supreme Court, so in fact it never happened and so you can't mention it.

Mate. Really?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Spanish constitution blocks a referendum in Catalonia. The UK constitution does not block one in Scotland.

It does if Westminster refuses to sanction it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

In 2015 I placed a speculative bet in Labour most seats.

It did not come off.

In 2017 I placed a sure thing bet on Con majority.

It did not come off.

I am now considering a significant Conservative most seats bet.

I am saying this to give PB forewarning.

You also tipped the SCons to do very well in 2017.
  • Options

Yep, he politely stood shoulder to shoulder with professed anti-Semites for 40 years without once condemning them. In fact, he very warmly called them his friends. How perfectly civil of him.

He's apologised for the "friends" remark (it was in the context of a "welcome to this hearing" remark) as clearly misjudged.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686
    Anorak said:

I remember being shown around the Canadian war memorial at Vimy Ridge by a Quebecois. The English in the tour party could understand his French, but the French on the tour could not!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Has she surrendered?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Floater said:

This is Labour
    I am trying to decide which party - Conservatives or Labour - will be the first to place an order for brown shirts for their supporters. It might be a photo finish...
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, is she standing as a Labour MP?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Anyone else shocked that the Catholic Church will protect nonces?

The Roman Catholic Church will oppose calls for priests to break the seal of the confessional to report admissions of child abuse, a public inquiry was told yesterday.

Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster, said the church could not accept any recommendation from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse to require priests to disclose matters admitted to them during the sacrament.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/priests-will-not-report-child-abuse-confessions-nkp7t8mbw

Do they say that they will, in those cases, not give absolution to the sinner?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Anorak said:

Floater said:

This is Labour
    No, it is. The cowards who tweet outrage and do nothing have enabled it. Labour is thus, thus have they made Labour
    A lot of people voting Labour are still to realise that the party they think they are voting for no longer exists. It's like Hannibal Lecter wearing that's guards face at the end of Silence of the Lambs.

The metaphor is likely to continue.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4
    Whenever I see that video I am always reminded of Shaun "Barry from Eastenders" Williamson dressed in the same gear doing the same song in a sitcom. I can't remember what. If ever Mindbleach was needed this is it.

• Options

Mr. Woolie, is she standing as a Labour MP?

Yes, Barking
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    After having done a little bit of canvassing over the last week as a sanity check on the 2017 Tory pledges I am now in a position to say that I think the Conservatives are in some real trouble.
    People apathetic(I know more than 2017) and some lib dem tory waiverers from that year are now 100% LD.
    I know it's a sample of only a hundred or so but you get a bit of a feeling on the doorstep. Bojo is so marmite that he pretty much gets those that dont like him determined to vote him out.
This discussion has been closed.