Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs seem to be spending big in a seat where they lost thei

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    TudorRose said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Swinson rejects the 12th December !

Maybe they can compromise with the 10th or 11th.
    Or half the country votes on the 10th and the other half on the 11th!
    Until 1918 there was not a fixed date for a General Election in that polling stretched over a few weeks in different areas of the country.Also In 1945 Polling Day in Scotland was a week later than elsewhere.
    Also in December 1918, there were no benefits associated with t'internet, mobiles or Twitter :)
    The last December election was in 1923.
    There were no internet or mobiles in 1923 either!
    Or postal votes?
    Not sure I would be dogmatic about that. There were in 1918.

Anyway, it is late and I am tired. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Swinson:
    'The prime minister has lost another vote in parliament. This latest attempt to force his bad Brexit bill through parliament has failed because this parliament simply does not trust him.

Boris Johnson claims he wants a general election, but he also claimed he wouldn’t prorogue parliament or put a border down the Irish sea.

If Boris Johnson wants a general election, then he could have supported our bill for a general election on 9 December. Instead, he has chosen to stick to his original plan for 12 December, which we have already rejected'
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

The media and journalists will think they’ve just landed the jackpot.

After years of Brexit drama they now have an election to cover .

The only downside to having an election this year is that we won't be able to look forward to one next year.
    Nothing is set in stone. Depends on the result and if a new government had to have another election!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Is Swinson expected at a Nativity Play on the 12th or something?

Ooh, sexism!!

What about Johnson - wouldn't he have Nativity Plays to attend too? He has more children than Swinson - quite a few more, I believe.
    So many even he doesn't know how many.....
  • Options
    Kirsty Blackman told Channel 4 News:

We are keen for there to be a general election before the 12th. I don’t trust Boris Johnson. I’m not convinced I trust him to follow through on any promises that he’s likely to make on this.

We may have conversations with many different people but we will not be dancing to Boris Johnson’s tune on this.
  • Options
    sirclive said:

If you believe Labour will receive a shellacking in a Dec Election, then Corbyn is 7/2 to exit as leader in 2019. Isn't it common procedure to resign the day after a drubbing? Good Value??

It depends if he resigns with immediate effect (Brown, Miliband) or resigns once his successor is elected (Blair, May, Cameron, Howard, Major).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

JackW said:

Yes. Swinson is playing Herod in a Conservative "Decapitation Strategy" scene.
    Well, I've heard it was cancelled. They couldn't find Three Wise Men.
    My only acting credit to date was as one of the Three Wise Men at my primary school, I think in 1982. I was the one wot carried Myrrh.
    I bet your Mum said "You should have held out for the gold, Sunil...."
  • Options

On topic: The LibDems are raising a lot of money, and are very sensibly spending a lot now to raise their profile before the spending limits kick in.

I think this is spot on. These oddly untargeted glossy leaflets are a factor of ( a ) the unusually large amount of money the Lib Dems have raised ( b ) the early election meaning there are no ' long campaign ' spending restrictions. Neither of which means the money is wasted just that the spending is targeting something else other than this GE.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2019

JackW said:

My only acting credit to date was as one of the Three Wise Men at my primary school, I think in 1982. I was the one wot carried Myrrh.
    Do you think that one ever felt embarrassed that one of the other guests brought gold?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I do feel a bit sorry for those MPs who resigned from their parties and will now likely be toast but the reality is that there’s zip chance of this Parliament agreeing to a second vote , and if by some miracle it scraped over the line who would legislate for it .

I’m afraid some MPs need a reality check .
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    justin124 said:

We are keen for there to be a general election before the 12th. I don’t trust Boris Johnson. I’m not convinced I trust him to follow through on any promises that he’s likely to make on this.

We may have conversations with many different people but we will not be dancing to Boris Johnson’s tune on this.

What difference does 9th and 12th make? Just stick with Thursdays for goodness' sake.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited October 2019
    egg said:

kle4 said:

If Boris gets a majority, he's going to ram through Brexit by year end, isn't he?

MPs are going to have to be opening their Xmas presents in the Chamber.

People like to reference Cromwell in these times, well in his time in power MPs worked in the Chamber on Christmas.

Why, on Christmas Day in 1656 MPs discussed amendments to the Bill for the Forest of Deane, which was surely a worthy cause indeed..

Though it was noted that the House was sparsely populated due to the day. Someone wanted to move a short bill to prevent it, but others complained he had had plenty of time to provide for such a law, and it was too late to rush it now (not that it stopped it). How things change.
    In my view Cromwell should be regarded as the enemy of the people.

Did the puritans not want to ban all the Christmas fun, which to be honest isn’t Christian but merged in with prior paganism?
    It was not uncommon to dislike so called Holy days at the time. One attempt from 1647 tried to end them, but that instead people would get rest and recreation days throughout the year such as they used to have for the Holy days. The idea I presume being that they would still get their days off, but would spend them more productively.
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/acts-ordinances-interregnum/p954

But as seen from the debates on the matter on Christmas 1656, even among members of the Cromwellian parliament people were not working on the day, it was presumed in observation of the day.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

nico67 said:

Labour are falling apart in front of our eyes. If Jezza has a successful election I will be tremendously impressed to be honest, it will show him to be one of the greatest political campaigners of our age. Because right now Labours position looks abysmal.

Agreed. Things could go horribly wrong in the election if the public decide the best way to finish this is either with Johnson’s deal or the Lib Dem revoke policy .

How many of the public are going to say "You know, I think what the public REALLY want is a LOT more dicking around on the deal with the EU, and then have the Govt. say "We have negotiated a really shit deal: please vote it down in a Referendum that we will hold sometime in the summer, so that you can get real comfortable with just how shit a deal it was. Oh, and in the meantime, the SNP will get their referendum to break up the United Kingdom." Yep, that has to be real easy sell.....
    Not many.

But people won't be voting Labour with Brexit in mind and, despite our PB fascination with it, I suspect that for a large chunk of the population Brexit is a secondary consideration.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Please show me the statute or convention that says "The PM remains in office until that time". The convention before the FTPA was that the administration would resign on losing a VONC.

No it wasn’t. The convention was that there would be an election, DURING WHICH THE INCUMBENT PRIME MINISTER STAYED IN PLACE. There has been one occasion since the war when that was needed -1979. I think you will find James Callaghan was still PM until after the election.

The rest of your post is wishful thinking, aka complete rubbish. Do you honestly think the Queen would summon an alternative candidate unless it was clear as result of a vote that they could command a majority? A motion could be put down as an indication, before the formal vote later.
    So what is the point of the provision that the countdown can be stopped if a VOC is passed?

If the FTPA is to be read that a VONC automatically triggers a dissolution fourteen days later, which is what you appear to be saying, why does it contain a provision about a VOC cancelling the countdown?

A VOC can only apply to the government in office, whether that government is two years or two days old. it cannot apply to some proposed future government that has not actually been commissioned by the monarch.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    justin124 said:

Swinson:
    'The prime minister has lost another vote in parliament. This latest attempt to force his bad Brexit bill through parliament has failed because this parliament simply does not trust him.

Boris Johnson claims he wants a general election, but he also claimed he wouldn’t prorogue parliament or put a border down the Irish sea.

If Boris Johnson wants a general election, then he could have supported our bill for a general election on 9 December. Instead, he has chosen to stick to his original plan for 12 December, which we have already rejected'

This is symptomatic of this dysfunctional parliament. The children are now squabbling about a difference of 3 days. Stupid of Boris to stick to the 12th, stupid of Swinson to reject it.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

:smiley::wink:

The funny thing about it is that Johnson really really won't want to lose the one-line bill. Given the number of recalcitrants floating between lobbies on both sides he needs either the LibDems or the SNP, or preferably both. That's assuming Labour don't belatedly join the feast.

So if Jo Swinson really holds out I suspect Johnson will have to yield.
    Agreed. He has no power, but oddly will look to the uninterested observer like he has it all.
    There is a discussion what happens if Tories haven’t secured an election by the end of this week. At that point there’s only one person snookered. Having promised to die in a ditch on the 31st, on the 1st he will have to write home to his mum asking for a clean pair of socks.

Seriously, at what point do we think the Tories have no choice but to yield, have a budget, bring back the WAB, attempt to carry on governing?

They just won’t be able to keep it up into next week could they?
  • Options

The funny thing about it is that Johnson really really won't want to lose the one-line bill. Given the number of recalcitrants floating between lobbies on both sides he needs either the LibDems or the SNP, or preferably both. That's assuming Labour don't belatedly join the feast.

Surely it just needs to get amended "substitute xth for 12th" and then voted on. So BoJo has put up his bill, the LDs and SNP get their amendment, honours are even. If he's pulling the WAIB I don't see what the problem is.
    The earlier date gives Boris more days to get his Bill through by year end... Just concede it, Boris.
    He has

He has conceded the GE should be on the 9th Dec? I don't think so.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I do feel a bit sorry for those MPs who resigned from their parties and will now likely be toast but the reality is that there’s zip chance of this Parliament agreeing to a second vote , and if by some miracle it scraped over the line who would legislate for it .

They rejected a concerted push for a soft Brexit to get a second referendum. They then rejected May's Customs Union deal to get a soft Brexit. They then rejected Boris' deal to get a Customs Union deal. Now they will lose their seats.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I feel a bit sorry for them too. I mentioned Stephen Lloyd, who took an early and principled stand - will be be allowed to restand, after having voted for Brexit?
    justin124 said:

I don't get it - trusting Boris or not does not matter if you satisfy yourself as to what is required in the law that is intended to be passed.
  • Options
    sirclive said:

If you believe Labour will receive a shellacking in a Dec Election, then Corbyn is 7/2 to exit as leader in 2019. Isn't it common procedure to resign the day after a drubbing? Good Value??

Ordinarily yes. And Corbyn has said he will go if they lose the election. BUT if he does, Watson gets the job as LOTO. And presumably, the power to start considering the backlog for expelling Corbyn's anti-semite little helpers.....

He may therefore want to stay until his annointed one is in place.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

The only downside to having an election this year is that we won't be able to look forward to one next year.
    Says who? :D

December 1923 election lead to October 1924 election...
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

sirclive said:

It depends if he resigns with immediate effect (Brown, Miliband) or resigns once his successor is elected (Blair, May, Cameron, Howard, Major).
    Also on the definition of "shellacking".

(I cite the experience in 2017 where he clearly, er, didn't win but was seen as a conquering hero because expectations, and the fact that winning elections and actually delivering anything don't seem to be that high on Corbynistas' priorities compared to polishing the leader's halo and slagging off Blairites.)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

It also led to a minority Tory government followed by a minority Labour government. Just saying...
  • Options
    egg said:

kle4 said:

If Boris gets a majority, he's going to ram through Brexit by year end, isn't he?

People like to reference Cromwell in these times, well in his time in power MPs worked in the Chamber on Christmas.

Why, on Christmas Day in 1656 MPs discussed amendments to the Bill for the Forest of Deane, which was surely a worthy cause indeed..

Though it was noted that the House was sparsely populated due to the day. Someone wanted to move a short bill to prevent it, but others complained he had had plenty of time to provide for such a law, and it was too late to rush it now (not that it stopped it). How things change.

Did the puritans not want to ban all the Christmas fun, which to be honest isn’t Christian but merged in with prior paganism?
    He did invite Jews to England with a policy of religious tolerance towards us. I accept Catholics might not feel so warmly.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

Elections year after year are all the rage thesedays. They've had 4 in 4 years in Spain. (Ok, ok, but not one each year, I know).
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Still, look on the bright side. We get rid of Soubry.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

JackW said:

Do you think that one ever felt embarrassed that one of the other guests brought gold?
    But myrrh is a bomb.
  • Options
    egg said:

Agreed. He has no power, but oddly will look to the uninterested observer like he has it all.
    There is a discussion what happens if Tories haven’t secured an election by the end of this week. At that point there’s only one person snookered. Having promised to die in a ditch on the 31st, on the 1st he will have to write home to his mum asking for a clean pair of socks.

Seriously, at what point do we think the Tories have no choice but to yield, have a budget, bring back the WAB, attempt to carry on governing?

They just won’t be able to keep it up into next week could they?
    If it goes on long enough I think there’s a chance that he almost manages to position himself as LotO and run as the change candidate vs. Corbyn/Swinson/Sturgeon. Not definite, but a chance.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

JackW said:

Embarrassed? I bet he was incensed!
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

egg said:

kle4 said:

He did invite Jews to England with a policy of religious tolerance towards us. I accept Catholics might not feel so warmly.
    He was certainly not the most religiously fanatic person of the time, but that may not mean much when things were religiously and politically in so much upheaval.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

nico67 said:

Labour are falling apart in front of our eyes. If Jezza has a successful election I will be tremendously impressed to be honest, it will show him to be one of the greatest political campaigners of our age. Because right now Labours position looks abysmal.

Agreed. Things could go horribly wrong in the election if the public decide the best way to finish this is either with Johnson’s deal or the Lib Dem revoke policy .

How many of the public are going to say "You know, I think what the public REALLY want is a LOT more dicking around on the deal with the EU, and then have the Govt. say "We have negotiated a really shit deal: please vote it down in a Referendum that we will hold sometime in the summer, so that you can get real comfortable with just how shit a deal it was. Oh, and in the meantime, the SNP will get their referendum to break up the United Kingdom." Yep, that has to be real easy sell.....
    As you know I’m an ardent Remainer , but it will take a miracle for Labour to win so another vote is very unlikely .

I’m pretty okay as long as no deal doesn’t happen . If the Tories get a majority the deal goes through , if the miracle happens I either end up with a deal or Labour softer Brexit or Remain.

The worst outcome would be a hung parliament with the DUP having influence, hopefully that doesn’t happen !
  • Options
    edited October 2019

nico67 said:

Not many.

But people won't be voting Labour with Brexit in mind and, despite our PB fascination with it, I suspect that for a large chunk of the population Brexit is a secondary consideration.
    Nope. This will be front, back and centre a Brexit election. Partly because the other parties know Labour has no answer and will pour salt into that wound.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

JackW said:

Embarrassed? I bet he was incensed!
    Have your like and take it away before I find you.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Swinson:

This is symptomatic of this dysfunctional parliament. The children are now squabbling about a difference of 3 days. Stupid of Boris to stick to the 12th, stupid of Swinson to reject it.
    If Johnson were trusted not to try and pull a fast one during those three days the difference would be immaterial.
  • Options

Surely it just needs to get amended "substitute xth for 12th" and then voted on. So BoJo has put up his bill, the LDs and SNP get their amendment, honours are even. If he's pulling the WAIB I don't see what the problem is.
    The earlier date gives Boris more days to get his Bill through by year end... Just concede it, Boris.
    He has

If he hasn’t yet he will if he wants that election because he don’t have the votes for the 12th. Does he
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

nico67 said:

Not many.

The LibDems will speak of little else for the next 6 weeks. It will be front and centre.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

I feel a bit sorry for them too. I mentioned Stephen Lloyd, who took an early and principled stand - will be be allowed to restand, after having voted for Brexit?
    justin124 said:

I don't get it - trusting Boris or not does not matter if you satisfy yourself as to what is required in the law that is intended to be passed.
    The Lib Dems need a clean slate . It was good Norman Lamb voted against the deal . Jo Swinson in every interview now keeps referring to Labour MPs for the deal .

She will go hard on this , you can’t trust Labour to not facilitate a Tory Brexit will be her message .
  • Options
    egg said:

He has

If he hasn’t yet he will if he wants that election because he don’t have the votes for the 12th. Does he
    No I don't think he do! :smile:
  • Options
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Please show me the statute or convention that says "The PM remains in office until that time". The convention before the FTPA was that the administration would resign on losing a VONC.

No it wasn’t. The convention was that there would be an election, DURING WHICH THE INCUMBENT PRIME MINISTER STAYED IN PLACE. There has been one occasion since the war when that was needed -1979. I think you will find James Callaghan was still PM until after the election.

The rest of your post is wishful thinking, aka complete rubbish. Do you honestly think the Queen would summon an alternative candidate unless it was clear as result of a vote that they could command a majority? A motion could be put down as an indication, before the formal vote later.
    So what is the point of the provision that the countdown can be stopped if a VOC is passed?

If the FTPA is to be read that a VONC automatically triggers a dissolution fourteen days later, which is what you appear to be saying, why does it contain a provision about a VOC cancelling the countdown?

A VOC can only apply to the government in office, whether that government is two years or two days old. it cannot apply to some proposed future government that has not actually been commissioned by the monarch.
    If it meant as you said an immediate change to the opposition then why not have a 1 day countdown?

It gives 14 days in which the government continues but if "through the usual channels" it becomes apparent an alternative government can be formed then it can be formed. How it is formed is not defined in statute.

EG hypothetically if there were a VONC now in Boris's government but then Boris said to the SNP 'give me support and I will back a second independence referendum' and hypothetically the SNP said 'you have a deal' then the SNP could give Boris confidence. No change in PM but now the government has confidence again.

Alternatively if Corbyn demonstrated he could reach a majority then "through the usual channels" Corbyn would become PM but that'd be like Cameron becoming PM in 2010 only when he had demonstrated he could get a majority in the Commons and Brown knew he couldn't.

"The usual channels" aren't defined in statute.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

The LibDems will speak of little else for the next 6 weeks. It will be front and centre.
    The brochure in the header suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    PaulM said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

But it's been front and centre for months and most people still find it a big yawn. A group of work colleagues were telling me the other day how they never watch the news because it's all about Brexit.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Not many.

Nope. This will be front, back and centre a Brexit election. Partly because the other parties know Labour has no answer and will pour salt into that wound.
    Labour’s brexit policy is to do the easiest brexit deal and negotiation in the world, offer EU all UK in CU, and then put that to the people in a CU deal v remain ref.

That compromise position between the extremes of revoke and Boris flawed deal will surely play well in a general election campaign? Why can’t Tories and Libdems both in hoc and on here see that?
  • Options

PaulM said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

But it's been front and centre for months and most people still find it a big yawn. A group of work colleagues were telling me the other day how they never watch the news because it's all about Brexit.
    And yet I bet they will be amongst the first to complain about its consequences, whatever they may be.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It appears at 19.40 on the BBC Live Reaction page.
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt
    Jo Swinson says: “If Boris Johnson wants a General Election, then he could have supported our Bill for a General Election on December 9th. Instead, he has chosen to stick to his original plan for December 12th which we have already rejected.”
    7:32 PM · Oct 28, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News
    : We will see where we're at tomorrow. We'll see what the bill says.
    7:54 PM · Oct 28, 2019·TweetDeck

Let's see what happens before jumping to conclusions. There is his original plan for Dec 12th (FTPA) and his new plan for Dec 12th (one-liner). The original plan has been rejected. The new plan is being closely examined as we speak.
    Indeed - but that later comment was not there at the time!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

If Boris stands on an election pledge to implement his Deal will that leave room for the Brexit Party to push their 'Clean Brexit' line?

Yes.
    50 shades of nuts brexit more like :p
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

Labour’s brexit policy is to do the easiest brexit deal and negotiation in the world, offer EU all UK in CU, and then put that to the people in a CU deal v remain ref.

That compromise position between the extremes of revoke and Boris flawed deal will surely play well in a general election campaign? Why can’t Tories and Libdems both in hoc and on here see that?
    Because it is not a position it is a contingent position and by design will be strung out for months.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

justin124 said:

The Lib Dems need a clean slate . It was good Norman Lamb voted against the deal . Jo Swinson in every interview now keeps referring to Labour MPs for the deal .

She will go hard on this , you can’t trust Labour to not facilitate a Tory Brexit will be her message .
    Although, ironically, a nationwide swing from Labour to LibDem would facilitate a Tory Brexit more conclusively than anything Johnson, or even Cummings, could dream up by themselves.
  • Options
    sirclive said:

Michael Foot did not immediately resign in 1983 - neither did John Major in 1997.
  • Options
    egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

You, er, you looking to buy a bridge over the Thames?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt
    Jo Swinson says: “If Boris Johnson wants a General Election, then he could have supported our Bill for a General Election on December 9th. Instead, he has chosen to stick to his original plan for December 12th which we have already rejected.”

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News

Let's see what happens before jumping to conclusions. There is his original plan for Dec 12th (FTPA) and his new plan for Dec 12th (one-liner). The original plan has been rejected. The new plan is being closely examined as we speak.
    Is there any chance we can simply bin this kind of futile (dare I say 'infantile') discussion during the campaign and stick to debating interesting facts?

This place is so much better than other sites and a lot of that is by avoiding too much partisanship, and not always insisting on getting one's own way. You've both got a point. Can we move on?
  • Options
    I am starting to wonder if labour will back the bill for the 12th. If LDs vote against, it neutralises the “only party scared of having an election” line somewhat.
  • Options
    egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

CU Brexit is pointless. Can you name any prominent leavers who back that? Why would that even be a proposal?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

Because it is not a position it is a contingent position and by design will be strung out for months.
    Picture the general election campaign, day after day, news channel after news channel explaining the difference in reassuring tones, revoke without second ref, CU brexit v remain confirmatory ref, Boris deal (DUP under bus etc). With Farage attacking surrenders of Boris deal with no deal only true brexit.

Remember the next general election result isn’t decided yet, 2017 and 2015 both decided during the campaigns, by the campaigns.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

+1
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Alistair said:

This looks like some kind of letter to me. Can anyone confirm if this is a letter?

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1188867753173749760?s=19

😆
  • Options

egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

You, er, you looking to buy a bridge over the Thames?
    Picture the general election campaign, day after day, news channel after news channel explaining the difference in reassuring tones, revoke without second ref, CU brexit v remain confirmatory ref, Boris deal (DUP under bus etc). With Farage attacking surrenders of Boris deal with no deal only true brexit.

Remember the next general election result isn’t decided yet, 2017 and 2015 both decided during the campaigns, by the campaigns.
  • Options
    Could the LDs bring an amendment moving the date to the 9th ?

There's a parlour game going on over the date clearly, but it's a sensible(ish) game unlike Labour's preposterous stance.
  • Options

Alistair said:

This looks like some kind of letter to me. Can anyone confirm if this is a letter?

😆
    I am glad he’s not going to die and will still be alive next week.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Incidentally the House is going to have an "official" impeacent investigation vote.

As my man the McMullamyster points out the political mathematics has inverted.

https://twitter.com/EvanMcMullin/status/1188918944750546945?s=19
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

egg said:

kle4 said:

He was certainly not the most religiously fanatic person of the time, but that may not mean much when things were religiously and politically in so much upheaval.
    You do know he was a freemason
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Could the LDs bring an amendment moving the date to the 9th ?

There's a parlour game going on over the date clearly, but it's a sensible(ish) game unlike Labour's preposterous stance.

Yeah the game is make Boris a constant loser. Acquiesce to nothing. Make Boris appear powerless, look for votes to leak to authoritarian winner Farage.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

On topic: The LibDems are raising a lot of money, and are very sensibly spending a lot now to raise their profile before the spending limits kick in.

I think this is spot on. These oddly untargeted glossy leaflets are a factor of ( a ) the unusually large amount of money the Lib Dems have raised ( b ) the early election meaning there are no ' long campaign ' spending restrictions.
    The leaflets, mostly, ARE targeted to second and third priority seats - which, together with the first priority group, account for about 40% of seats.. The decision about where to allocate real resources during the election will be based on the effectiveness of the trial campaign that's come through Mike's door.
  • Options

He has

I meant the WAIB - sorry cross purposes
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Not quite Justin

She said that without knowing the WAIB has been withdrawn and did say she would look at the detail

It is going to be a GE between the 9th and 12th December and I suggest you brace yourself for it to be honest
    Yes , it will be a nasty , vindictive few weeks.
    I’m surprised no-one has floated the option of an election on Friday 27 December, might as well go for the burn!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

It was not uncommon to dislike so called Holy days at the time. One attempt from 1647 tried to end them, but that instead people would get rest and recreation days throughout the year such as they used to have for the Holy days. The idea I presume being that they would still get their days off, but would spend them more productively.
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/acts-ordinances-interregnum/p954

But as seen from the debates on the matter on Christmas 1656, even among members of the Cromwellian parliament people were not working on the day, it was presumed in observation of the day.

As I in hoary winter’s night stood shivering in the snow,
    Surpris’d I was with sudden heat which made my heart to glow;
    And lifting up a fearful eye to view what fire was near,
    A pretty Babe all burning bright did in the air appear;
    Who, scorched with excessive heat, such floods of tears did shed
    As though his floods should quench his flames which with his tears were fed.
    “Alas!” quoth he, “but newly born, in fiery heats I fry,
    Yet none approach to warm their hearts or feel my fire but I!
    My faultless breast the furnace is, the fuel wounding thorns,
    Love is the fire, and sighs the smoke, the ashes shame and scorns;
    The fuel Justice layeth on, and Mercy blows the coals,
    The metal in this furnace wrought are men’s defiled souls,
    For which, as now on fire I am to work them to their good,
    So will I melt into a bath to wash them in my blood.”
    With this he vanish’d out of sight and swiftly shrunk away,
    And straight I called unto mind that it was Christmas day.

That's Southwell a couple of generations pre-Cromwell. Note that the guy is a priest but makes it through till after dark on Christmas day without realising that it *is* Christmas day, and then only after being given a weapons grade clue about it. So less of a deal then than now.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News

It was all in the same interview - I watched it live
  • Options
    I was just musing over the last four years. We’ve invented (and reinvented) precedents haven’t we? It’s so easy to not notice when you’re living through history.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Not quite Justin

She said that without knowing the WAIB has been withdrawn and did say she would look at the detail

It is going to be a GE between the 9th and 12th December and I suggest you brace yourself for it to be honest
    I’m surprised no-one has floated the option of an election on Friday 27 December, might as well go for the burn!
    Sell turnout for that one lol
  • Options

Alistair said:

😆
    One of the more important documents he’ll ever sign in his political life, and for some reason he completely forgot to mention it
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Titter .... or a virgin !!!!!!!!!
    There are however a surfeit of donkeys
  • Options

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News

Is there any chance we can simply bin this kind of futile (dare I say 'infantile') discussion during the campaign and stick to debating interesting facts?

This place is so much better than other sites and a lot of that is by avoiding too much partisanship, and not always insisting on getting one's own way. You've both got a point. Can we move on?
    With respect, we were not in dispute at all.It is simply a matter of various newsblogs being updated and one item of news being superseded by another!
  • Options
    I’m more offended by the idea of an election on a Monday than one at Christmas, reducing the chance that I’ll have to see the same play for the fifth year running is a bonus for me.

But an election on a Monday? Yuk. Election night is for getting the drinks in and staying up late. It’s rightly on Thirsty Thursday.
  • Options

I’m more offended by the idea of an election on a Monday than one at Christmas, reducing the chance that I’ll have to see the same play for the fifth year running is a bonus for me.

But an election on a Monday? Yuk. Election night is for getting the drinks in and staying up late. It’s rightly on Thirsty Thursday.

Yebbut....in the Christmas season, every day is a thirsty day.

With added pies.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News

I am not seeking to contradict you at all - but was simply reporting what was available on the BBC blog at the time! Frankly the more sources of information the better.
  • Options

So you're backing "Brexit Bozza" on the election rather than "Tory Swinson" :) ?
  • Options

It will certainly see my local Tesco sell £30 more on a Monday, but reduce my productivity at work on Tuesday. You can draw you own conclusions which one outweighs the other......
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I am starting to wonder if labour will back the bill for the 12th. If LDs vote against, it neutralises the “only party scared of having an election” line somewhat.

I think they should amend it with V@16 and permanent CU backstop or something then vote for it, if these are possible
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Link? can't find any
    It says:

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt

but look at 20.03.

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Jo Swinson to
    @Channel4News

I am not seeking to contradict you at all - but was simply reporting what was available on the BBC blog at the time! Frankly the more sources of information the better.
    Not when it is part of an interview

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’ve not been around much so I don’t know whether this Northern Ireland polling has been linked to, but this is well worth a listen:

https://twitter.com/u105radio/status/1188809650747117568?s=21
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Not quite Justin

Sell turnout for that one lol
    Lol. There is always Dec 31 for those planning a quiet night in with Dimbleby.
  • Options
    Technically I dare say 24 December could be a goer, make sure those pesky students are safely back home in Surrey
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Bedford does have a LibDem Mayor, which is surely the explanation.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

CU Brexit is pointless. Can you name any prominent leavers who back that? Why would that even be a proposal?
    In a CU but out of the Single Market sorts your immigration issues out. Once that is done I doubt very many Joe Publics give a monkeys about who negotiates your FTAs.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    nico67 said:

I think a lot of them would like (a) a bit of respite, a breather, and (b) to talk about something else, even the ones who are most enthused by Brexit.

Not sure they'll be much more keen for an Xmas election than most of Joe Public, but, needs must.
  • Options
    On other matters, I do not believe Keith Vaz should be allowed to remain in Parliament. He should be recalled.
  • Options
    December 26th is a Thursday.

Just saying.....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

On other matters, I do not believe Keith Vaz should be allowed to remain in Parliament. He should be recalled.

Will Labour let him stand again in December?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    I'm no following any of the above and ve got other things to do, so I'll assume there will be a PV tomorrow followed by a December election. If I'm wrong,vplease say so in the comments below
  • Options

Just saying.....

No elections on Bank Holidays.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

egg said:

nico67 said:

Not many.

In a CU but out of the Single Market sorts your immigration issues out. Once that is done I doubt very many Joe Publics give a monkeys about who negotiates your FTAs.
    I don't give a rats ass about immigration.

Now who is calling for out of SM but in the CU exactly? Besides Remainers trying to foist nonsense on us, can you name anyone who actually thinks this is better than either Remaining or Leaving properly?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Just saying.....

No elections on Bank Holidays.
    SNP pipe up it isn't a Bank Holiday in Scotland. Everything has to revolve around London, eh?
  • Options
    Labour really need to go hard on the NHS up for sale under the Tories .

They really need to close the gap in the over 65 vote . Its a shame you can’t use foreign leaders in ads but Trump saying its going to be part of any trade deal and connecting him with Bozo would certainly I think have an impact .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    justin124 said:

The recall process falls, if there’s a GE
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    nico67 said:

Labour really need to go hard on the NHS up for sale under the Tories .

They really need to close the gap in the over 65 vote . Its a shame you can’t use foreign leaders in ads but Trump saying its going to be part of any trade deal and connecting him with Bozo would certainly I think have an impact .

Except it isn't true...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So you're backing "Brexit Bozza" on the election rather than "Tory Swinson" :) ?
    On this one point, I do actually back him!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The other thing about a Christmas election is just think how many "advent calendar" memes/jokes/schticks we're going to get from the broadcasters.

"What's behind the door to the 5th? It's Jezza, and a nationalised railway!"
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Alistair said:
    Clearly no concern about the deficit, they could have sold those on e-bay.
This discussion has been closed.