Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Swinson wins the LD leadership contest

Comments

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    kle4 said:

I love it when party hacks seek out the angriest or most sinister images of their opponents they can, it's always a good laugh. I wonder how often the Tories will use that great one of Corbyn.

Also, she 'doesn't want you know'? I know most LDs prefer to treat the Coalition as though it never existed, but for crying out loud her involvement is public record, she is not hiding anything.
    What a pair of mushes, frighten the dogs
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    eek said:

kle4 said:

I love it when party hacks seek out the angriest or most sinister images of their opponents they can, it's always a good laugh. I wonder how often the Tories will use that great one of Corbyn.

Also, she 'doesn't want you know'? I know most LDs prefer to treat the Coalition as though it never existed, but for crying out loud her involvement is public record, she is not hiding anything.
    I suspect it means Jo has more experience in Government than anyone on Labour's front bench.
    :lol:

Nick Brown? He was in Gordon's cabinet. Otherwise???
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer

Nope. If you voted remain and supported the WA you are a diehard remainer.
    Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
    The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
    The ERG did not oppose the WA, not in the end. The majority of the ERG voted for the WA. We know this because while the numbers are not precise there are generally said to be around 70+ MPs in the ERG, and far fewer than that opposed it at MV3, and some of those opposed to the WA were the Grievers.

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. They are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them.
    Yeah they do. They are the leaver experts. They opposed the WA. Or did I miss its passing successfully?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer

Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
    The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
    The ERG did not oppose the WA, not in the end. The majority of the ERG voted for the WA. We know this because while the numbers are not precise there are generally said to be around 70+ MPs in the ERG, and far fewer than that opposed it at MV3, and some of those opposed to the WA were the Grievers.

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. The ERG are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them. And it is deeply unreasonable to the spartan holdouts to pretend that they represent the entire view of leavers when this is self evidently not the case.

I do however think those spartans are closest to what Tory members want.
    It certainly came as a revelation that even the ERG had its moderate and its nutty wing. When British politics shifted as far as examining the shades of lunacy within the ERG, we know something has gone very wrong.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

Aren't there going to be many voters who now see the Coalition as a stable oasis of calm and measured government compared to the shitfest of last three years?
    You'd think so, but I doubt protest voters flocking to the LDs will think so. They include those on the left who hated it and that it was headed by a Tory, who the LDs won't want to lose again. They obviously don't want to lose anyone who does think it was ok, but they seem very keen to avoid giving succour to any side now, lest their supporting coalition collapse again.
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. They are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them.
    Yeah they do. They are the leaver experts. They opposed the WA. Or did I miss its passing successfully?
    Did you just ignore the entire post? The ERG is comprised of more than those who opposed the WA.

Unless you are trying to say only those who opposed the WA are true ERGers, which is nonsense, it is simple fact that plenty of ERGers, nay the majority, voted for the WA. There's no getting around that the spartans do not outnumber the rest of the ERG.

The Chairman of the ERG voted for the WA for christ's sake, however reluctantly. You're telling me he is not ERG because 'the ERG' opposed it? Preposterous.
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Did you just ignore the entire post? The ERG is comprised of more than those who opposed the WA.

Unless you are trying to say only those who opposed the WA are true ERGers, which is nonsense, it is simple fact that plenty of ERGers, nay the majority, voted for the WA. There's no getting around that the spartans do not outnumber the rest of the ERG.

The Chairman of the ERG voted for the WA for christ's sake, however reluctantly. You're telling me he is not ERG because 'the ERG' opposed it? Preposterous.
    Even idiocy has its degrees.
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And yet here we are on the brink of an entirely ERG-defined Brexit. So the chaff and diehard remainers fell by the wayside. Great good riddance. We are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019

Jo Swinson CV
    • Voted to bomb several Muslim Countries

Hmm, that is so misleading as to be a very, very big lie.

Iraq Libya and Syria arent Muslim Countries?

On 26 Sep 2014:
    Jo Swinson voted for UK air strikes in Iraq to support Iraqi forces'

On 29 Aug 2013:
    Jo Swinson voted against requiring conditions be fulfilled, including a vote of the UN Security Council before any military action involving UK forces in response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

On 21 Mar 2011:
    Jo Swinson voted to support the establishment of a no-fly zone in Libya.

Calling those 'bombing Muslim countries' is, as I said, so misleading as to be a very, very big lie. The first, as you admit yourself, was supporting the Iraqi government, bombing insurgent forces (and very nasty ones, allied to the ones that tried to kill you, as it happens), The second was, as you admit yourself, bombing of military targets in response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria. The third was, err, not bombing.

Perhaps you meant 'voting for the UK taking part in international action to reduce civilian bloodshed in Muslim countries?' If so you'd be right.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Probably a good choice though at the moment not being a complete shit passes as a USP.

She seems to have something of the Charlie Kennedy about her and a Scottish friend aquainted with her rates her highly.

So I look forward to being one of their early new members.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,701
    HYUFD said:

Would be amusing if some of the 28% of East Dunbartonshire voters who backed brexit held their noses and voted SNP to decapitate the most overtly remain UK wide party. Pure fantasy of course but would be interesting!

John Nicolson has suggested he may try and regain the seat he lost to Swinson last time.

He is quite an amiable chap for a Nat and I suspect given the choice between him and Swinson some Tories who tactically voted LD last time against the SNP will go back to the Tories or vote Brexit Party given how anti Brexit Swinson has become
    Will Nicolson be using a recent photo in his campaign literature this time?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. The ERG are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them. And it is deeply unreasonable to the spartan holdouts to pretend that they represent the entire view of leavers when this is self evidently not the case.

I do however think those spartans are closest to what Tory members want.
    It certainly came as a revelation that even the ERG had its moderate and its nutty wing. When British politics shifted as far as examining the shades of lunacy within the ERG, we know something has gone very wrong.
    ERG has a nutty wing? I thought it was full fruitcake or total loon!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
    LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
    Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
    She has still spent most of her life in Bath, what is a few years out. She is a fanny of the first order in any case, hopefully her arse will be out in next election. That would be a laugh.
    She was born in 1980, making her 39, and, as I have said, she spent the first 18 years of her life in Scotland, then a further 3 in London, taking her to age 21, so at least 54% of her life has been spent outside Bath already.

Stuart Campbell, on the other hand, is 51. He moved to Bath in 1991, 28 years ago, to work for ‘Amiga Power’ magazine and has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

So nearly every factual assertion you have made here is untrue.

Well done!
    Who ever said it was factual , I merely mentioned that she has spent most of her life outside Scotland and does not have a Scottish accent.
    I’m quoting you directly here -

“spent here entire life outside Scotland”

“she has been there [Bath] since birth”

“She has still spent most of her life in Bath...”

All of which are untrue. And you didn’t mention her accent.
    You have a crush on her don't you
    No. You know you’re the only one for me. Your incredible sexual magnetism is what keeps me coming back to PB.
    Now you have me worried, hopefully you are of the female persuasion and have all your own teeth and hair.
    Two out of three ain’t bad
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And yet here we are on the brink of an entirely ERG-defined Brexit. So the chaff and diehard remainers fell by the wayside. Great good riddance. We are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
    It's good to see that the Chairman of the ERG, who voted for the WA, is either chaff or a diehard remainer.

I do not dispute that the hardest of the hardliners are in the ascendency, nor even that they are likely the most popular faction in the party, but the ERG they provably ain't. It cannot be an ERG defined Brexit when the ERG includes a majority who were content (albeit not happy) to accept a backstop including deal.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Do you mean ‘chaff’ or ‘chav’?
    Roger said:

Probably a good choice though at the moment not being a complete shit passes as a USP.

She seems to have something of the Charlie Kennedy about her and a Scottish friend aquainted with her rates her highly.

Oh Dear Roger. Your friend is obviously unhinged and no need to be insulting Charlie, a bit like someone comparing you to a fluffer
    Betting: laying Starmer as next Labour Ldr is probably the best response to the LibDem election
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
    LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
    Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
    She has still spent most of her life in Bath, what is a few years out. She is a fanny of the first order in any case, hopefully her arse will be out in next election. That would be a laugh.
    She was born in 1980, making her 39, and, as I have said, she spent the first 18 years of her life in Scotland, then a further 3 in London, taking her to age 21, so at least 54% of her life has been spent outside Bath already.

Stuart Campbell, on the other hand, is 51. He moved to Bath in 1991, 28 years ago, to work for ‘Amiga Power’ magazine and has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

Well done!
    Who ever said it was factual , I merely mentioned that she has spent most of her life outside Scotland and does not have a Scottish accent.
    SNIP
    No. You know you’re the only one for me. Your incredible sexual magnetism is what keeps me coming back to PB.
    Now you have me worried, hopefully you are of the female persuasion and have all your own teeth and hair.
    Afraid all three are mandatory
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

It's good to see that the Chairman of the ERG, who voted for the WA, is either chaff or a diehard remainer.

I do not dispute that the hardest of the hardliners are in the ascendency, nor even that they are likely the most popular faction in the party, but the ERG they provably ain't. It cannot be an ERG defined Brexit when the ERG includes a majority who were content (albeit not happy) to accept a backstop including deal.
    Don't fall off the head of that pin.

We are at the hardest of hard Brexits. Which was the aim of the ERG all along. Anything else is a compromise from what they really wanted which is what we have now.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yes, he owns his hair and teeth. All paid for....
    Very concerning then , but understandable given my dashing good looks.
    Genuine question this: are there any politicians you admire and, if so, who are they?
    IanB2 said:

Betting: laying Starmer as next Labour Ldr is probably the best response to the LibDem election

Good point.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indeed and the next general Election will reflect that. I know which I think will attract more votes.
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Genuine question this: are there any politicians you admire and, if so, who are they?
    I have answered this one before. Ken Clarke and ex politicians , Alex Salmond was the best and Angus Robertson was good
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    See also IDS, Paterson, Redwood, Johnson...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1153364688387944448?s=20
    He’s writing two speeches right now.
    What time are the Boris results due to be announced? What does Betfair say now?
    :lol: Truly satire is dead. When we all do this with Corbyn (and throw in who he meets for a quick spot of wreath laying), we are accused of smearing.

https://twitter.com/jmsclee/status/1153342290414526464
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The ERG did noyou ascribe to them.
    Did you just ignore ththe rest of the ERG.
    And yet here we are on th are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
    It's good to see cluding deal.

We are at the hardest of hard Brexits. Which was the aim of the ERG all along. Anything else is a compromise from what they really wanted which is what we have now.
    And you say I'm dancing on the head of a pin when you started this by entirely and provably incorrectly claiming the ERG opposed the WA when the actual numbers prove otherwise? That's a rather comical attempt. Now you shift the matter onto how what they wanted and what we are getting, which is not the same as what you claimed, which was, again, entirely incorrect. Your words "The ERG opposed the WA". False then, false now, as MV proved, and them getting a result closer to what they would prefer now doesn't make your words any more false.

So either you did not know the majority of the ERG did not oppose the WA in the end, and therefore do not know the mindset of the ERG as well as you think, or you did know and knowingly lied for no reason since you could have just said most of them did not like the WA, which is true, rather than the falsehood you actually claimed.

But I'll leave you to that falsehood, inadvertent or deliberate. Have a nice evening.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I have answered this one before. Ken Clarke and ex politicians , Alex Salmond was the best and Angus Robertson was good
    Just the sex pests then ?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,566

It’s as though she has no concept of principle beyond loyalty to the party...

Indeed and the next general Election will reflect that. I know which I think will attract more votes.
    Unlike you to throw in the towel so early.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    edited July 2019
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Never mind the bollocks, here's the sex pests?
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Thanks. I didn't mean to be pushy. I hadn't seen your previous answer.
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Dear Dear Harry, how low can you stoop
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

We couldn't have gotten here without the likes of Grieves, the Lib Dems, Labour etc who have rejected three times taking No Deal permanently off the table.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

At least we should be spared that with BJ since almost everyone is well aware of his manifest failings and general crapness.

She has no point at all. It was all those ERG MPs and others who were utterly disloyal to leaders from Major onwards who have landed the Tory party in its current mess. As they are sowed, so they are now reaping.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Roger said:

History can now mark the precise moment the LibDem's fortunes crashed and burned......
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

We couldn't have gotten here without the likes of Grieves, the Lib Dems, Labour etc who have rejected three times taking No Deal permanently off the table.
    Once again you want the opposition to fix a mess created by the Conservative party...
    IanB2 said:

Unlike you to throw in the towel so early.
    I think Johnson is leaps and bounds ahead of Swinson or

Hunt v Swinson it might have been harder.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

She has no point at all. It was all those ERG MPs and others who were utterly disloyal to leaders from Major onwards who have landed the Tory party in its current mess. As they are sowed, so they are now reaping.
    She just missed out Johnson
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!
    SNIP
    Afraid all three are mandatory
    Good on you for setting your sights so high.
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Thanks. I didn't mean to be pushy. I hadn't seen your previous answer.
    No problem, not a lot of quality around recently and I do not see it improving short term at least.
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    On the LDs’ coalition record. I suspect the next three months will amply demonstrate just how much restraint they exercised on the bluer end of the Tories.

With Lab and the Tories seemingly hell-bent on avoiding the middle-ground at all costs, Swinson shouldn’t have to work too hard for a large slice of the electorate who put Blair x3, Cameron/Clegg and Cameron into power...

I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

At least we should be spared that with BJ since almost everyone is well aware of his manifest failings and general crapness.

He has more about him than Swinson TUD. She does beat him at the fibbing mind you.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    I vote for a set of policies not a person to be The Victor.

This is not Love Island.
    eek said:

Once again you want the opposition to fix a mess created by the Conservative party...
    No I see no mess. I am entirely content for there to be no deal.

If you're prepared to accept no deal then reject the deal. If you're not then don't.
    The ERG anday disagreed but were consistent within themselves. Those crying crocodile tears that no deal is awful while rejecting a deal deserve what is to follow.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    'Stop Brexit': it's enough to secure my vote.
    kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    If only that was the norm we may not be in such a pile of merde

kle4 said:

Aren't there going to be many voters who now see the Coalition as a stable oasis of calm and measured government compared to the shitfest of last three years?
    If the Coalition years could be thought of as something of a golden age, we might even one day soon look back on May’s premiership as a, deeply tarnished, sliver age.

Judging by what lies between the ears of most of the rumoured new cabinet, we are about to enter a stone age.
    kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    A leave or remain referendum was Lib Dems policy before it was Tory policy.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cyclefree said:

Were the ERG not representing their constituents.

Have no problem with Sir Alan forcing a by-election and seeking a fresh mandate.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,300
    What's the betting that Labour still can't vote for a woman leader.

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    Why vote for the Lib Dems then? They're the ones who wanted a leave or remain referendum before even Cameron.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

:lol: Truly satire is dead. When we all do this with Corbyn (and throw in who he meets for a quick spot of wreath laying), we are accused of smearing.

And conversely it's dirty tactics to look at voting records and past statements?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eek said:

If you're prepared to accept no deal then reject the deal. If you're not then don't.
    The ERG anday disagreed but were consistent within themselves. Those crying crocodile tears that no deal is awful while rejecting a deal deserve what is to follow.

eek said:

The ERG played the no deal game, the remainers are playing the revoke game why should I put up with something that was never on the ballot and dubiously achieved. Proud to be a diehard remainer bollocks to brexit

And conversely it's dirty tactics to look at voting records and past statements?
    I think Richard dealt with that below.
  • ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Nigelb said:

I think Richard dealt with that below.
    I say Good luck to Jo Swindon. I like her a lot. I have seen her pop up on News programmes, being interviewed in a street somewhere unrecognisable, like a member of the public, but talking a lot of harmless sense. I can put a name to the face now. She is much like the Jeb Bush of British politics, a darn sight more palatable than the toxic options isn’t she?

Take that trolls!
  • ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Meanwhile.

Haxit! Hammond exits. His most memorable moment in office momentarily forgetting who the enemy actually is when referring to the EU as the enemy? Or Strepsil Phil to the rescue? Or... that’s about it isn’t it?

It’s all change in politics this week.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

Second to the SNP will do us fine.

Highly reliant on all the Ld->Con switchers in 2017 switching back.
  • I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

Lol poor UnionDiv is getting a bit confused he mentions a string on non-entities who were elected in Holyrood; Apparently not understanding that Swinson is being elected to be UK Westminster leader.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone apparently interested in Scottish politics - but yes I guess it is maybe a bit "complex" for you nationalist morons
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    Why vote for the Lib Dems then? They're the ones who wanted a leave or remain referendum before even Cameron.
    It's 2019.

Lol poor UnionDiv is getting a bit confused he mentions a string on non-entities who were elected in Holyrood; Apparently not understanding that Swinson is being elected to be UK Westminster leader.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone apparently interested in Scottish politics - but yes I guess it is maybe a bit "complex" for you nationalist morons
    Morons? Who put a feather up your no doubt ample arse?

Time for your cocoa and sedatives.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Zephyr said:

I say Good luck to Jo Swindon. I like her a lot. I have seen her pop up on News programmes, being interviewed in a street somewhere unrecognisable, like a member of the public, but talking a lot of harmless sense. I can put a name to the face now. She is much like the Jeb Bush of British politics, a darn sight more palatable than the toxic options isn’t she?

Take that trolls!

Jo Swinson is of course Britain's answer to Jacinda Ardern except she had the baby before becoming prime minister whereas Jacinda became PM and then had the baby.

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.
    Yes, less than a decade since the Lib Dems were campaigning on a manifesto of holding an EU referendum and banging on about tuition fees.
  • spudgfsh said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey is the favourite at 6.8/1. Fancy joining the big boys club and laying at 8.6 ?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2019
    Given it's Boris, I'm expecting actual fireworks. Rockets, Catherine wheels, sparklers, the lot. Him on a zipline, plenty of flags, that frisson of farce.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    If he is going to call a GE, then it speaks well of him to do it in the House. But since he never does good deliberately, I assume it's for something else.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.
    Yes, less than a decade since the Lib Dems were campaigning on a manifesto of holding an EU referendum and banging on about tuition fees.
    Less than a decade since the Tories were campaigning on a manifesto of “the big society” and wanting to stop banging on about Europe.
  • I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

LOL - yes you are morons. And you really should know better than to mix Holyrood leaders (who nobody on PB gives a flying f about) with Westminster leaders

What's your excuse?
    Whoever it was who was wondering about May not recommending Boris, I think that if she was intending to stay on she'd've attended the COBRA meeting last week. Since she didn't, I assume she will hand over to him ASAP
    viewcode said:

Whoever it was who was wondering about May not recommending Boris, I think that if she was intending to stay on she'd've attended the COBRA meeting last week. Since she didn't, I assume she will hand over to him ASAP

She chaired it today

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.
    Less than a decade since the Tories were campaigning on a manifesto of “the big society” and wanting to stop banging on about Europe.
    Once we've exited we can put the EU behind us in the rear view mirror and stop banging on about Europe.

Europe will remain important to us and we will eventually get a trade deal, but it will be a much smaller part of our life.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Do people who do the Twitter rants and "going after..." actually believe that they're talking to anyone other than their own echo chambers?

Do they really think that someone's going to go on political areas of Twitter, read their "devastating" take down, and go "Oh, right, I'll change my mind, then"?

Maybe one item out of a hundred thousand might slip out and into the wider consciousness, but for the hug, colossal, majority of these tweets, they're all talking to themselves.

Social media masturbation: pleasures oneself but actually achieves nothing.

LOL - yes you are morons. And you really should know better than to mix Holyrood leaders (who nobody on PB gives a flying f about) with Westminster leaders

What's your excuse?
    Yeah, right, after PB Unionists frotting themselves senseless over Ruth Davidson for the last 3 years, nobody on PB gives a flying fuck.

Away and practice your boorish inanity on someone else.
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The ERG did noyou ascribe to them.
    Did you just ignore ththe rest of the ERG.
    And yet here we are on th are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
    It's good to see cluding deal.

And you say I'm dancing on the head of a pin when you started this by entirely and provably incorrectly claiming the ERG opposed the WA when the actual numbers prove otherwise? That's a rather comical attempt. Now you shift the matter onto how what they wanted and what we are getting, which is not the same as what you claimed, which was, again, entirely incorrect. Your words "The ERG opposed the WA". False then, false now, as MV proved, and them getting a result closer to what they would prefer now doesn't make your words any more false.

So either you did not know the majority of the ERG did not oppose the WA in the end, and therefore do not know the mindset of the ERG as well as you think, or you did know and knowingly lied for no reason since you could have just said most of them did not like the WA, which is true, rather than the falsehood you actually claimed.

But I'll leave you to that falsehood, inadvertent or deliberate. Have a nice evening.
    Sorry not to have caught you before you ran away. Had an errand to finish off. If you want to believe that the ERG wanted and want a touchy feely Brexit go for it whatever helps you get to sleep at night.

But they didn't and don't and we now seem to have just the Brexit they championed all along however they voted in any MV.

Not to see this transparent turn is frankly bizarre.
    edited July 2019
    viewcode said:

If he is going to call a GE, then it speaks well of him to do it in the House. But since he never does good deliberately, I assume it's for something else.
    More likely the Tweet is cobblers. Boris won't become PM until Wednesday after May hosts her final PMQs so why would he make a Commons speech Tuesday morning?

viewcode said:

More likely the Tweet is cobblers. Boris won't become PM until Wednesday after May hosts her final PMQs so why would he make a Commons speech Tuesday morning?
    Thursday
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

She chaired it today
    I did not know that, thank you. But it does beg the question: why didn't she chair it last week? Honest question.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    There has to be a good chance that Jo Swinson's successor is not even in the Commons yet. Lib Dems don't usually let little matters such as losing elections affect the standing of their leaders. She may well be there for over a decade.
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

Thursday
    Thanks I misread it.

What's your excuse?
    Yeah, right, after PB Unionists frotting themselves senseless over Ruth Davidson for the last 3 years, nobody on PB gives a flying fuck.

Ruth Davidson? She's the lesbo Scottish tory woman right.

I don't watch FMQs, you'll have to try your moronic schtick with someone else.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    spudgfsh said:

Not while John McDonnell still has breath.....

What's your excuse?

This is rude and inappropriate.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Do you post here just to give unionists a bad name?
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,300

Do people who do the Twitter rants and "going after..." actually believe that they're talking to anyone other than their own echo chambers?

Do they really think that someone's going to go on political areas of Twitter, read their "devastating" take down, and go "Oh, right, I'll change my mind, then"?

Maybe one item out of a hundred thousand might slip out and into the wider consciousness, but for the hug, colossal, majority of these tweets, they're all talking to themselves.

Social media masturbation: pleasures oneself but actually achieves nothing.
    There's a couple of things on this.

1) the LibDems in general are going to have to deal with the substance of the coalition years and it can't just be 'it was all the old nasty tories'. The thing is though that this will be easier because the people that they have to convince are not the people on the hard left who are doing these twitter rants.

2) There is a lot of this sort of stuff that does get out. This is the power of facebook advertising. I kept getting advertised brexit party and the leave.eu insurgency ads. Outside of the formal advertising there is a lot of memes out there that 'do escape' I see it all the time from both sides.

What's your excuse?

This is rude and inappropriate.
    Well what time's the lagershed - I'll post it after then instead
    DavidL said:

There has to be a good chance that Jo Swinson's successor is not even in the Commons yet. Lib Dems don't usually let little matters such as losing elections affect the standing of their leaders. She may well be there for over a decade.

To be fair Swinson herself wasn't just a touch over 2 years ago.
  • Ruth Davidson? She's the lesbo Scottish tory woman right.

Do you post here just to give unionists a bad name?
    I was here for indyref1 - I hope I'll be here for indyref2 and the result will be very similiar
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    stodge said:

Zephyr said:

Take that trolls!

Jo Swinson is of course Britain's answer to Jacinda Ardern except she had the baby before becoming prime minister whereas Jacinda became PM and then had the baby.
    Jo could have enough babies to field an Aussie Rules team and still not be PM.

P.S. I'm back in Blighty - brought the good weather home with me!
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

She chaired it today
    I did not know that, thank you. But it does beg the question: why didn't she chair it last week? Honest question.
    I’m not sure if Hunt did then she might not have wanted to undermine him whilst still some distance to the end of the election on the other hand she might have had a dental appointment.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,053
    edited July 2019
    DavidL said:

No, in this we LDs are similar. Both Clegg and Farron went after disappointing election results, and of course both May and Corbyn stayed on.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Did you maintain your record of never voting for the winner, Mike? (Not a snark - they seemed very evenly matched and I imagine it was a difficult choice.)
  • Did you maintain your record of never voting for the winner, Mike? (Not a snark - they seemed very evenly matched and I imagine it was a difficult choice.)

He voted for Jo and broke the jinx - it's down thread
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    DavidL said:

Swinson may well lose her seat to the SNP at the next general election, especially if Tories stop tactically voting for her, in which case the LDs will be looking for a new leader even if they make gains in England
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Scott_P said:
    Of course the pro Brexit Conservative Party of Canada is neck and neck with Trudeau's Liberals in the polls and if their leader Andrew Scheer becomes Canadian PM that likely change a things.

Though even Trudeau has not ruled out a FTA with the UK eventually
This discussion has been closed.