Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harris and Warrnen now dominate the WH2020 Democratic betting

124»

Comments

• _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

Doubtless we do need a more rational approach to drugs but a bit of joined up thinking on the topic would be good.
    We have controlled sales for tobacco. And we seem to spend a huge amount of time, money and effort in stopping people smoking because it is bad for their health. And indeed making it illegal to smoke in various places.

So explain to me why we would want to make it easier to allow people to smoke freely another product with similarly harmful effects on people's health?

Foxy said:

_Anazina_ said:

CatMan said:

Look at what happens in places that have legalised recreational Cannabis. The Netherlands (de facto anyway), Canada, several US states. They haven't said afterwards "Oh my god, we've made a terrible mistake, lets make it illegal again."

Cannibis is *not* harmless. But making it illegal is falling into the same trap the US made when they made Alcohol illegal. People still use it, only the market is unregulated and controlled by criminals, leading to more problems than if it was regulated.

Indeed so. And the tax revenues the State of Colorado has made on the stuff are something to behold.
    Yes, drug dealing is undeniably lucrative, but do we want a government by mafia?
    It's just another farming industry in green jurisdictions. It is so normal in Colorado now you don't blink when you see cannabis shops. Yet I have never encountered cannabis smoking on the streets of Denver, where it's illegal to smoke it in public, and presumably enforced. Unlike in London, where it is notionally illegal but entirely unenforced, and a daily encounter.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I know who I think can pull in the six packers in PA who deserted Obama for Trump.

It’s Warren.
    Just don't see it myself. She's impressive and is a definite top three or four contender. But out in real america?
    My Democratic twitter feed covers everything from Bernie Bros to Cautious Conservatives. Amongst all that Warren is the one that is inspring the "would like to have a beer with" style comments.
    Amongst Democrats, not swing voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania
    In pennsylvania Trump increased the GOP. Vote by 1.6%. Hilary dropped the Dem vote by 4.5%
  • HYUFD said:

China has 2 million military personnel, 3187 aircraft, 1,004 helicopters and 13,000 tanks, 76 submarines, and 52 frigates and 33 destroyers.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=china

We have 233 000 military personnel, 811 aircraft, 319 helicopters, 331 tanks, 10 submarines, 13 frigates and 6 destroyers.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=united-kingdom

It would be idiotic for the UK to declare war on China, especially without US support

Firstly, I did not say we should invade. I said Hong Kong should never have been handed over in the first place.

Raw military numbers are very different to being *able* to invade.

That is why there is a strong debate in Taiwan that they ought to declare independence sooner rather than later, before the Chinese do develop the capabilities of a Blue Water Navy that so far only America, Britain and France have.
    nico67 said:

What a spineless twat Damian Green is.

He tells small business a no deal would be a catastrophe and then in his sucking up to Bozo changes his tune .

I totally disagree with the hard Tory Brexiters however at least they’ve been consistent , if there’s one thing I despise it’s those who were against no deal but suddenly decide for their job prospects to change their tune .

In that respect I hope Hunt gets trounced by Bozo and then doesn’t get a cabinet job !

Neobrexitism is an unbearable, nauseating affliction.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I know who I think can pull in the six packers in PA who deserted Obama for Trump.

It’s Warren.
    Just don't see it myself. She's impressive and is a definite top three or four contender. But out in real america?
    My Democratic twitter feed covers everything from Bernie Bros to Cautious Conservatives. Amongst all that Warren is the one that is inspring the "would like to have a beer with" style comments.
    In pennsylvania Trump increased the GOP. Vote by 1.6%. Hilary dropped the Dem vote by 4.5%
    And Biden was on the Democratic ticket in 2012, Warren would be the most liberal left Democratic candidate since Dukakis or McGovern and we all know what happened to them
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.
    Evidence tends to suggest otherwise - the more they see of her, the more they tend to like her:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05/can-trump-voters-maga-country-learn-to-love-elizabeth-warren

Remember that once upon a time, she was a Republican.

Hell, even douchebag Tucker Carlson quite likes her:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/06/06/tucker_carlson_elizabeth_warrens_economic_patriotism_plan_sounds_like_donald_trump_at_his_best.html
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Quite touching to see some of the new Brexit Party MEPs taking it seriously and feeling a sense of awe in the parliament building. I wonder if any of them could go native.

https://twitter.com/drdavidbull/status/1145734619612024833?s=21
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

DougSeal said:

Literally nothing in your post is true and I think you know it. Given that archaeological evidence suggests that Great Zimbabwe was part of a trade network that extended as far as China and the Portuguese had been in the area since the early 16th century, Rhodes wasn’t even the first outsider to arrive there. The Portuguese described it, in 1531, as - “...among the gold mines of the inland plains between the Limpopo and Zambezi rivers there is a fortress built of stones of marvelous size, and there appears to be no mortar joining them....This edifice is almost surrounded by hills, upon which are others resembling it in the fashioning of stone and the absence of mortar...”. So there was plenty of great merit there before Rhodes stuck his greedy oar in.

What great books, art, inventions, engineering, infrastructure, science, mathematics, industry and agriculture came from this 'Great' Zimbabwe?

Some pre-colonial civilisations were impressive in certain ways. But elevating what were backwards African kingdoms at the time when compared with the rest of the world is falsifying history. As I think you know yourself, deep down.

The area known as Zimbabwe/Rhodesia was nothing pre-Rhodes.
    Europeans of the time admitted that Shona sculpture and stonework was far more advanced than that of Europe. The oral traditions of the area bear comparison with literature from anywhere in the world. I haven’t seen much in the way of books, art, inventions etc etc come out of Luxembourg either but no one suggests there is “nothing” there.

Before Rhodes there was a functioning, indeed strong and centralised, nation called Mthwakazi. The Boers made treaties with it. Then significant mineral deposits were found so Rhodes moved in replacing “something” that worked for the people of the area with “something” that didn’t work for them but for people who lived elsewhere.

We were top dog. Top dogs do some terrible things so I’m not wearing a hair shirt about it. Shut happens and one day it will happen to us again. But pretending there was “nothing” in Africa before the Europeans arrived is stupidly inflammatory.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    GIN1138 said:

Hillary seems to be pinning his hopes of stopping No Deal on Tory MPs voting to bring down their government and be deselected.

Brave? ;)

More like deluded ! I like Hillary Benn but I can’t see enough Tories voting no confidence in their own government .

Those against no deal will do everything possible in October to stop that but it will need some really major external events for them to go for the nuclear option.

There would have to be a huge run on the pound and a lot of businesses going for the exit door and general chaos to force them into that.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040

Quite touching to see some of the new Brexit Party MEPs taking it seriously and feeling a sense of awe in the parliament building. I wonder if any of them could go native.

:lol:

This is getting funnier by the minute.

Has anyone told Nigel that some of his grunts are starting to take this seriously?

Next thing you know they'll be pitching in with policy ideas for federal europe.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.
    Evidence tends to suggest otherwise - the more they see of her, the more they tend to like her:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05/can-trump-voters-maga-country-learn-to-love-elizabeth-warren

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/06/06/tucker_carlson_elizabeth_warrens_economic_patriotism_plan_sounds_like_donald_trump_at_his_best.html
    Blimey. If this :love: in continues you will make me glad I am green on her.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

EPG said:

One would assume the flag business is the work of PRC agents provocateurs

That flag is widely respected in Hong Kong. It stands for everything that is good in Hong Kong, as compared to the blood stained cloth of the Peking ghouls. Long may it fly over the bay.
    You’re a parody. :D
    Does the flag of HK freedom make you cringe with post-colonial guilt?

Oh my. Keep hold of your handbag because it is here to stay.
    I had nothing to do with colonialism mate and neither did you.
    Then what is your apparent problem with the HK Ensign?
    The problem is not the HK ensign. The problem is talking hard and doing fuck all. If we were commited to securing the freedom of the people of Hong Kong we could have chosen to stay there (the expiring part of the leasoing to do is fail and blame, a mode of action it is becoming all too comfortable with.
    I agree that our treatment of HK was disgraceful.

Our pathetic leaders are willing to send troops and planes to Syria and Libya, areas where we have absolutely no business, but fold over like cheap deckchairs in the face of China. Gutless fools.
    Realistically we can defend Gibraltar v Spain or the Falklands v Argentina but we can only defend Hong Kong v China with US support, we are not in China's league militarily or economically, only the US is
    That's incorrect, even more so back in 1997.

The stuff I have read on Chinese capabilities suggests it would struggle/be unable to even take back Taiwan in 2019. They have one old Soviet aircraft carrier.
    China has 2 million military personnel, 3187 aircraft, 1,004 helicopters and 13,000 tanks, 76 submarines, and 52 frigates and 33 destroyers.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=china

We have 233 000 military personnel, 811 aircraft, 319 helicopters, 331 tanks, 10 submarines, 13 frigates and 6 destroyers.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=united-kingdom

It would be idiotic for the UK to declare war on China, especially without US support
    Quite apart from numbers, where is our nearest base? Bahrain?
    TdC? We probably have some in the Pacific as well
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    In an extremely patriotic gesture, NFL Network will devote its 4th July programming to America's Team, starting at 10am.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Zephyr said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.
    Truly? I don't get that vibe from her, but if so it suggests she is able to connect better than I think.
    Is she the talk of the tomahawk because of her Pocahontas outfit?

Poca oh oh
    https://www.yandy.com/Chiefs-Desire-Costume.php
    I suspect that’s “cultural appropriation” 😂😂
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398

Has anyone told Nigel that some of his grunts are starting to take this seriously?

Next thing you know they'll be pitching in with policy ideas for federal europe.
    That would be funny, if unlikely no doubt! But even if we assume every single Brexit Party MEP loathes the EU and wants out with a fiery passion, if we are to remain surely not every single one of them will just spend their entire term pouting and protesting, and feel the need to at least try to work with others.

Farage will be loving it though - he seems very happy to be in the EU, given how much he wanted people to stop parliament Brexiting (allegedly because it was the wrong way)
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

Problem is no one ever quite believes the choice has been narrowed down so much.

Many remainers in the HoC seem quite happy to gamble, to risk no-deal, if there's any chance of overturning the referendum. Similarly the EUphobes, they want all or nothing.

Both sides have been radicalised to a pretty alarming degree.
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

Problem is no one ever quite believes the choice has been narrowed down so much.

Many remainers in the HoC seem quite happy to gamble, to risk no-deal, if there's any chance of overturning the referendum. Similarly the EUphobes, they want all or nothing.

Unquestionably. And given the nature of the Tory race to promise unicorns and if not no deal, that is only likely to increase.
    And N Korea learnt that lesson from what happened in Libya.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Firstly, I did not say we should invade. I said Hong Kong should never have been handed over in the first place.

Most of HK was on a 99 year lease. The rest wasn't sustainable without it.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

I didn’t say she’ll get the nomination - just that she has become a credible contender.

Trump shot his ‘Pocahontas’ bolt already, and failed, so should she get the nomination, she’d be rather more formidable than many think.
    kle4 said:

That would be funny, if unlikely no doubt! But even if we assume every single Brexit Party MEP loathes the EU and wants out with a fiery passion, if we are to remain surely not every single one of them will just spend their entire term pouting and protesting, and feel the need to at least try to work with others.

Farage will be loving it though - he seems very happy to be in the EU, given how much he wanted people to stop parliament Brexiting (allegedly because it was the wrong way)
    Farage wants us to stay as long as possible. Because without the 'ole enemy, he is another washed up celeb trying to get on I'm a Celebrity.

I suspect that some of the BXP MEPs had no idea what the EU was or did ( along with 90% of the public by sound of things) and now they are finding out by actually having to go there and engage.

"Gosh, they have a policy to deal with mobile phone companies ripping people off!"

"Blimey, who would have known - you get four weeks paid leave a year thanks to these federalists"

"I had no idea, but the beaches have never been cleaner thanks to pettifogging interventions from Brussels"

etc etc.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

Not what the polling shows, in Pennsylvania Biden beats Trump 43% to 42% in the latest poll but Trump beats Warren 45% to 34%. In Ohio Biden beats Trump 48% to 44% but Trump beats Warren 49% to 43% and in Michigan Biden beats Trump 46% to 43% but Trump beats Warren 43% to 41%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_United_States_presidential_election
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

I didn’t say she’ll get the nomination - just that she has become a credible contender.

Trump shot his ‘Pocahontas’ bolt already, and failed, so should she get the nomination, she’d be rather more formidable than many think.
    It would be fascinating.

Serious and thinking vs gut/emotions/an idiot.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Has there ever been a 24 year age gap between competitors at Wimbledon before?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    AndyJS said:

Bobby Riggs was 26 years older than BJK !
    AndyJS said:

Navratilova was playing on for a long time so I suspect yes.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,920
    AndyJS said:

Martina Navratilova played Gisela Dulko at Wimbledon in 2004, Dulko wasn't yet 20 and Navratilova was 47. So 28 years and some days.

AndyJS said:

Martina Navratilova played Gisela Dulko at Wimbledon in 2004, Dulko wasn't yet 20 and Navratilova was 47. So 28 years and some days.
    Interesting. I didn't know Martina played as late as that in the main event.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Andrew said:

In an ideal world we would have set Hong Kong on the path to democracy well before the lease expired and then held a referendum for them to decide their future instead of making the choice for them. But we weren't interested in democracy for HK until it was too late
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

Newsnight made it sound like when push and shove comes, no deal has the numbers vs no brexit. I always thought it was the other way round personally but the Beckett/Grieve amendment was pulled by Bercow presumably by a lack of support.
    edited July 2019

Andrew said:

In an ideal world we would have set Hong Kong on the path to democracy well before the lease expired and then held a referendum for them to decide their future instead of making the choice for them. But we weren't interested in democracy for HK until it was too late
    China would never have accepted full democracy in Hong Kong even if we'd introduced it first. But I agree we should have introduced it in about 1987.
    Michael Crick on the Sky News paper review, the first time I've noticed him doing it.
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting. I didn't know Martina played as late as that in the main event.
    Martina went on for years. An absolutely legendary sportswoman whose achievements transcend all sport.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

Really? I would say he could repeat Compulsory Obamacare Pocahontas Socialist over and over again, and incite something slightly larger than his last coalition.
    edited July 2019
    EPG said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

Really? I would say he could repeat Compulsory Obamacare Pocahontas Socialist over and over again, and incite something slightly larger than his last coalition.
    Yes, Nevada and Virginia could both vote for Trump over Warren, in 2016 they went for Hillary.

Plus Warren does not just want Obamacare but to abolish private health insurance and have compulsory public healthcare, even in Britain we have not gone as far as that
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

So explain to me why we would want to make it easier to allow people to smoke freely another product with similarly harmful effects on people's health?

Cannabis is less physically harmful as Tobacco. Tobacco is also legal, so how can you say "You can smoke this harmful drug, but this less harmful one you can't"?
    Cannabis causes in some users psychosis. I don’t believe tobacco does that. Tobacco is legal but governments are trying to limit its spread, stop people smoking and are making it illegal in many places. The trend is towards reducing tobacco smoking. So, again, given that trend, why encourage people to smoke another harmful substance?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

China would never have accepted full democracy in Hong Kong even if we'd introduced it first. But I agree we should have introduced it in about 1987.
    China could have blockaded/invaded Hong Kong at any time the way India eventually took Goa by force when Portugal refused to hand it over. If anything the lease date meant British rule lasted longer than it would have otherwise.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cyclefree said:

CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

Cannabis is less physically harmful as Tobacco. Tobacco is also legal, so how can you say "You can smoke this harmful drug, but this less harmful one you can't"?
    Cannabis causes in some users psychosis. I don’t believe tobacco does that. Tobacco is legal but governments are trying to limit its spread, stop people smoking and are making it illegal in many places. The trend is towards reducing tobacco smoking. So, again, given that trend, why encourage people to smoke another harmful substance?
    Because prohibition doesn't work. Regulation would help control the strength of the product sold, so that people would know what they were buying, and you could make it hard enough to buy to discourage use without creating an income stream for organised crime by failing to prevent people from taking a psychoactive substance.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

Most of the time anyway, the people who re-name cities or places aren't particulary nice.

I have sent an email around my acquaintances checking that none of them have ever been involved in any kind of place renaming...
    3 more post debate polls out today

Rasmussen -
    Biden 30, Sanders 13, Harris 13, Warren 13

The Hill/Harris x
    Biden 33, Sanders 15, Harris 11, Warren 9

CNN
    Biden 22, Harris 17, Warren 15, Sanders 14
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

It’s Warren.

Yes, Nevada and Virginia could both vote for Trump over Warren, in 2016 they went for Hillary.

Plus Warren does not just want Obamacare but to abolish private health insurance and have compulsory public healthcare, even in Britain we have not gone as far as that
    Incorrect.

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

EPG said:

One would assume the flag business is the work of PRC agents provocateurs

Whatever about Harris or Biden, I can't see Warren surviving debates with Trump. Basically she has to convince Obama->Trump supporters she is authentic, fat chance

That flag is widely respected in Hong Kong. It stands for everything that is good in Hong Kong, as compared to the blood stained cloth of the Peking ghouls. Long may it fly over the bay.
    You’re a parody. :D
    Does the flag of HK freedom make you cringe with post-colonial guilt?

Oh my. Keep hold of your handbag because it is here to stay.
    I had nothing to do with colonialism mate and neither did you.
    Then what is your apparent problem with the HK Ensign?
    The problem is not the HK ensign. The problem is talking hard and doing fuck all. If we were commited to securing the freedom of the people of Hong Kong we could have chosen to stay there (the expiring part of the lease didn't cover the island) or allow the inhabitants to have passports that allowed them to settle in the UK. Given that neither of these things were done and our present shower of shit in Westminster and Whitehall aren't going to allow a mass immigration of millions of people, then all the UK is going to do is fail and blame, a mode of action it is becoming all too comfortable with.
    I agree that our treatment of HK was disgraceful.

Our pathetic leaders are willing to send troops and planes to Syria and Libya, areas where we have absolutely no business, but fold over like cheap deckchairs in the face of China. Gutless fools.
    Realistically we can defend Gibraltar v Spain or the Falklands v Argentina but we can only defend Hong Kong v China with US support, we are not in China's league militarily or economically, only the US is
    That's incorrect, even more so back in 1997.

The stuff I have read on Chinese capabilities suggests it would struggle/be unable to even take back Taiwan in 2019. They have one old Soviet aircraft carrier.
    Do you actually need an aircraft carrier to invade Hong Kong? Surely you'd just cut the water off and wait for us to surrender.

(Which, of course, is what happened in Singapore.)
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    HYUFD said:

11 frigates. 2 are at 'extended readiness' (ie tied up) due to lack of crew.
    It's a pity Hong Kong couldn't have been handed over to Taiwan in 1997.
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

Perhaps that story should have been read in conjunction with this one - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-opens-its-first-clinic-to-treat-cannabis-psychosis-85pw6xpmp

No one is saying Cannabis is harmless, but Alcohol isn't harmless either but we accept that most people use it sensibly so it remains legal, despite all the problems it causes.
    Most people who use alcohol don't develop mental health problems.

Another issue that undermines the arguments comparing it with alcohol is that it's fairly hard nowadays to get hold of any cannabis that isn't super strength.

Imagine a world where session ales are virtually non-existent and the only beers you can drink were all 8%+ That's what weed is like now.
    Could not weaker varieties make a comeback in a legal market?
    In California, traditional weed (i.e. stuff you roll with cigarette papers to smoke) has largely disappeared. Instead people mostly use vaporisers, which also allows them to control their dosage much more efficiently.

There's also an extraordinary edibles market: honey, butter, chocolate, cookies, you name it. All available in a wide range in strengths.

HYUFD said:

Raw military numbers are very different to being *able* to invade.

That is why there is a strong debate in Taiwan that they ought to declare independence sooner rather than later, before the Chinese do develop the capabilities of a Blue Water Navy that so far only America, Britain and France have.
    We don't really have the ability to project force in the Pacific.
    edited July 2019
    Being pro-cannabis and anti-tobacco doesn't make any sense, except in terms of the fact that tobacco smoking was traditionally accepted and cannabis smoking wasn't. Therefore people are making a fashion statement about how modern they are by rejecting the traditional and accepting the non-traditional. That's the only possible explanation for the situation. Ridiculous in my opinion, but that's human nature. The fashion will probably change quite soon in ways we can't predict.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

No country wants to join the EU unless they need the money.

You understand nothing.
  • SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    _Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

Perhaps that story should have been read in conjunction with this one - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-opens-its-first-clinic-to-treat-cannabis-psychosis-85pw6xpmp

No one is saying Cannabis is harmless, but Alcohol isn't harmless either but we accept that most people use it sensibly so it remains legal, despite all the problems it causes.

Another issue that undermines the arguments comparing it with alcohol is that it's fairly hard nowadays to get hold of any cannabis that isn't super strength.

Imagine a world where session ales are virtually non-existent and the only beers you can drink were all 8%+ That's what weed is like now.
    Again, that is a consequence of its prohibition. Were it legal, milder varieties would become more easily available. In green jurisdictions, one is able to choose from a vast range of strengths and strains.

I'm strongly pro legalisation, but I'm not particularly convinced that this would result in significantly improved choice and/or quality.

Tobacco is legal, yet the vast majority of tobacco products consumed in this country are *absolute rubbish*. One needs to visit a specialist tobacconist to buy anything half decent.
  • SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238

AndyJS said:

Kimiko Date also played well into her mid-40s, making a comeback after taking several years off- pretty sure I remember her playing a teenager at Wimbledon a few years ago, so this might possibly be a contender for the biggest age gap.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    AndyJS said:

Being pro-cannabis and anti-tobacco doesn't make any sense, except in terms of the fact that tobacco smoking was traditionally accepted and cannabis smoking wasn't. Therefore people are making a fashion statement about how modern they are by rejecting the traditional and accepting the non-traditional. That's the only possible explanation for the situation. Ridiculous in my opinion, but that's human nature. The fashion will probably change quite soon in ways we can't predict.

You know Tobacco actually kills you right?

Got a figure of 77,900 for 2016 here https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/statistics-on-smoking/statistics-on-smoking-england-2018/part-1-smoking-related-ill-health-and-mortality

Maybe younger people are more fashionable in that they don't like dying, for older people who find tobacco more acceptable and used to enjoy smoke filled cafes fair enough but I think if younger people want to avoid dying they should not be insulted for it.

Not to mention the huge amount of bad effects from tobacco aside from death.

I'm not sure I've known anyone who has smoked both who wouldn't cut Tobacco out or have never tried it given the straight choice... for fashionable reasons such as lung capacity, not smelling like an ashtray and the previously mentioned not dying...

• TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

CatMan said:

Cyclefree said:

TBH you'd probably be more likely to develop mental health problems if you had regular beer let alone the super strength ones in comparison to cannabis...

Not to mention all the physically harmful effects of alcohol. Alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than cannabis.

This discussion has been closed.